Julina of Blackstone - 076 - The Unaware Interviewee

Printer-friendly version

Davabet's first ride in the country culminates in surprising conversations

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

076 – The Unaware Interviewee


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
076 – The Unaware Interviewee

“Maker! This is completely and utterly ridiculous! Here we are being all formal amongst ourselves when the only 'stranger' with us is an under-age girl! I am fed up with this Mistress this and Mistress that.” She pouted in a way that I was sure many men would find attractive, but I knew her well enough that this was no flirtatious mannerism, just frustration tinged with a dash of amusement. “Davabet, you had better call me Sookie. But if you find you really insist that you need to keep the Mistress, then I warn you that we shall amongst ourselves drop all that nonsense.” She waved her hand as she spoke to include the other adults.

“And I am Pomma, and will be so to my friends. I too cannot stand calling Sookie 'Mistress Sukhana' when we have been friends for a long while now!”

“And I am Michet, but Em will do. Feel free to carry on calling me Bailiss or Mistress but amongst the four of us, I too find all the Mistressing laborious and boring. Please release me, release us, from the necessity of calling our friends with their titles every time you are around.”

Davabet coloured slightly and, at first hesitantly, said: “Er … Bailiss ... Mistresses ... I find I cannot use your given names, nor your bynames. Certainly not so soon; I deem I shall not feel in the slightest comfortable doing so - not at least until I achieve my majority, and maybe not even then! But I do so heartily agree that you should not have to be so formal amongst each other just because I, a stranger, am present. That social custom seems to me to be extremely silly.” She looked a little scared that she had been so forthright with so many of her 'elders and betters'.

“Well that's a start at least. You do your parents proud, young lady! They have brought you up very correctly.” Sookie had a twinkle in her eye though as she continued: “I'll wager however that you don't make it to your majority before your correctness slips!”

She looked slyly round at the other two and winked – and they winked back. I knew right then that they would add pressure to Davabet to make her adopt a more informal attitude before the year was out!

I didn't count, of course, for I had already insisted – pulling the 'I am the boss' attitude – that she was to do the same as Surtree and was to call me Julina or even the simpler 'Lina.

Sookie continued: “Young Parry, Goodman Parrier to you of course, tells me that riding-wise you have some natural ability accompanied by a lot of guts and determination. So how are you enjoying your first frayen ride out into the country rather than around my paddock? I doubt I have heard of anyone making such a foray after a mere four days! And, I deem, that is on a borrowed saddle?”

“No Sookie, NOT a borrowed saddle, as it happens!” Pomma jumped in. “I sort of persuaded Waldan to lend a priority to making hers. I suggested strongly that he might prefer it if I stayed at home a bit more often rather than get dragged off by Julina every time she needed to go somewhere.” She giggled and blushed slightly. “We were in bed at the time and he seemed to enjoy my message.”

We all laughed, even Davabet, who was torn between finding it funny and being shocked. We were only women in this little group, so our chats became a little different than those would be with a more mixed company. Davabet told me much later that she was tickled pink to be involved in such intimacy and yet wistful, since she felt she was unlikely to ever have such a relationship herself.

“Well I congratulate you,” said Sookie to Pomma and then directed her questions once more to Davabet. “Four days is very quick, I deem that tonight you will feel the muscles. Don't worry too much, after a couple of days more, the muscle strain will have worn off. Tell me truly now, how are you finding it? The riding? Should we need to take extra precautions or anything?”

“Mistress Sukhana, it has long been one of my dearest wishes to be able to ride a frayen and I never thought 'twould ever be possible. But, if I might be serious for a moment here - be open as Mistress Julina has drummed into me that I must be under such circumstances - then I must needs say something that might be a trifle awkward.”

She paused embarrassedly, but then, with a deep breath, took the plunge and launched into what she had to say: “Please understand from the outset that I do appreciate the care and concern you have for me. But that very exaggerated care is, I regret to say, something I find a little offensive. I must work on that I suspect, but I truly need to say this now.

“You all are treating me gently and so on, unlike the way you treat others - Surtree for example - and all that is achieving is a certain highlighting of my deformity. I would plead with you all to just stop being more protective of me than you are of others. Now, I concede that I might be being overly sensitive, but I would remind you I have had a lifetime of scorn, ridicule and derision. Anyone who treats me differently just seems to be pointing out the fact that I AM different.”

She used the back of her hand to cuff away an incipient tear or two. She smiled a little tremulously just then.

Em said slowly and reassuringly: “I too have an awkward arm, for I was injured in the fight in the Vale alongside Her Highness' forces, so I appreciate very much what you are saying. I too found pity and sympathy difficult to accept. Do not be too harsh upon us, for we mean well. I assure you that before long, none of us shall even notice it, once we get more accustomed to you and your presence.”

Davvy's face registered a certain disbelief at that, but also gratitude for Em's words. She took a breath again and stated: “Phew! I have got that of my chest at last and will now answer your questions as best I might.”

We had all been struck into a contemplative silence by her and Em's words, so it was somehow shocking when she continued along another thread's direction.

“Riding is WONDERFUL.

“I am aware of how privileged I am. I look forward to shocking my parents some day soon with my prowess. Even today, I have seen more of the lands around where we live than they have probably seen in years. I hope this awe I feel never fades. I would never have believed all that has happened to me in the last four days. I have learnt to ride, I have met so many kind people, I have discovered I seem to have a talent for numbering, I have learnt some kitchen skills, some business skills, some planning skills. And I know there is much much much much much much more to come.

“I attended that Assembly Meeting as a frightened, naïve and untrained young girl – I deem, a mere four days later, that I am so much more adult now than I was then. And there is, I am aware, so much more to go. I fear the end of my week's trial, I would not want Mistress Julina – yes, I must be formal here – to end our association.”

I laughed: “I think that you passed everything on your first day with your brilliant suggestion as to placing the temporary Healers' House. That applause you got was well-deserved and never again think that they were just being kind. Nor pandering to your arm.”

“What is this?” asked Pomma, with a hint of shock in her voice, as well as a lot of inquisitiveness.

'Twas Em who replied. “At the last big Assembly meeting, Julina made a suggestion which was adopted as so many of hers are. The problem was finding somewhere for it to be placed temporarily whilst a dedicated building was to be built. Davabet made a brilliant suggestion as to the location of this temporary structure which was so simple, so cost effective and so appropriate that the entire Assembly and the Princes and Counts stood and applauded her. An element of that applause was also because she had also shown great courage in actually addressing the Assembly Meeting on her very first day of employment, even whilst being the youngest person there.”

She went on to explain the problem, my solution and then where Davabet had suggested.

Pomma and Sookie then also applauded her, Sookie saying: “You are a lot stronger than you yourself believe, young lady!”

Em then went on to explain further that Master Bezan had followed up by telling the meeting that they had always intended to lay a wooden walkway in that passageway, so that walkway, once done, could be the basis for a temporary floor; two walls would not be needed since they could utilise the outer walls of the two neighbouring buildings, and a simple back wall could be easily removed once a permanent home was completed. The front wall would have a door naturally and both front and back walls would be as well pierced by windows as to allow as much light to penetrate as they could get away with. Of course, some activities in there would be best if they remained private, so the windows would have to have adequate curtaining. And the two windows, one from each of the other buildings, that would otherwise intrude upon the privacy would needs be curtained off as well.

“Ah!” said Pomma. “That's why those tarpaulins were thrown across that gap. And a small host of busy workers. I saw them earlier when I went to fetch our household bucket of coal. The tarpaulins I assume would be to keep the worksite dry while the building goes on.”

“Shall those tarpaulins be a temporary roof, or shall there be a more solid wooden and shingle one?” asked Sookie.

“Even in the rainy season, we are at a sufficiently high altitude that we don't get that much rain, certainly when compared to downvalley. How they can tell I have no idea, but 'tis said that we get half the amount of rain that Tranidor does. So we are hoping the tarpaulins shall be sufficient. Winds might be a problem though.”

“Is the location of the permanent home known?”

“Indeed it is, Sookie. A swift discussion concluded that the Wagras site, which has already been cleared ready for a new building to be erected there, shall have its new construction expanded slightly. It shall be shaped such that one wing shall be parallel to Main Street and one parallel to the south side of the Market Place, reaching along almost to the level of the Shuttle Shed. That Market Place side, the Market Place wing if you like, shall consist of a large office for the Valley Messenger Service, particularly as they have now been given the semaphore services too. Above that shall be four or five rentable bedrooms, bedrooms only. It is thought that those that stay there shall be accommodated only temporarily whilst other accommodation is found for them. They can eat and bathe and so on either in the Miners' Hall or in the Frolicsome Frayen.

“The Main Street wing of that new building was originally going to be a short, stubby wing for storage of the Messenger Service records and the like, but after 'twas decided to supply a Healers' House, that wing has now been designed to extend a little further to the south, the storage room shall be a little shorter than first designed, but can now spread to the new upper level there. The southern end shall be allocated to the Healers, with an upstairs component too.”

“Maker! That seems … sudden somehow. And why does Master Selden wish to move his Messenger stuff?”

“With the semaphore now part of his remit, and with the many citizens now spreading out along the Loop Road in the Miners' Villages, that would be more central for him. And being central shall be an advantage for the healers too.”

“Makes sense,” added Pomma, sounding wise after a heartbeat or two of thought.

Sookie said: “Ah! That's why Brydas has been busy with some new and sturdy locks recently!” Then she had another thought. “What shall happen to the old Messenger building?”

“That we don't know yet. Mayhap someone would find a use for it and ask for it. We have a few weeks before we are half-way through the year, and the town's inhabitants are expected to keep increasing at least until just before the rains.”

I started thinking for some reason, probably because she mentioned the half-way point of the year, of the upcoming town festival to be held on the Longest Day. The Assembly had sensibly declared that there were so few farmers up here nowadays, there was little point in having a Harvest Festival as was more traditional, particularly elsewhere! His Honour then suggested that we have instead a day-long festival on the Longest Day which was voted in unanimously by the Assembly. I deem the townsfolk greeted the announcement with approval.

An idea stirred in my head just then, so I blurted out one of my usually half-baked suggestions: “Sookie! Now there shall be that major celebration upon the Longest Day, we caterers are going to have to provide for the entire population. Mayhap WE should request that building and use it as a sort of preparation kitchen for us all? There would be good space for the many zeers we shall need, and space for all the vegetables and fruit to be prepared. 'Tis silly that all our many kitchens, we should include Yanda of course and the Miners', shall all do the same thing separately when we can do it jointly.”

“That sounds as if it bears considering, 'Lina. But now you have mentioned them, tell me some more about these zeers, about any new uses you might have found. You use them far more than we do in the Claw. I understood the basics when you explained before, but has your actual usage brought about any new knowledge or even improvements?”

I explained in a little more detail to be sure Davvy and Pomma would understand more readily: “As you know, they are clay pots, one inside another with sand filling the gap between them. Davvy, we have discovered that food, when kept cool, lasts much longer than if not cooled. This you shall appreciate enables us to prepare dishes a day or so in advance, which eases our burdens on the night of serving.”

She nodded as she took that information in, I could see her intelligent mind working at it. Pomma uttered a quiet “Ah!”

Meanwhile Sookie had obviously been thinking a little more about the 'old' VMS building and my new-born idea: “As regards using a sort of communal kitchen, 'Lina, you may be onto something there. 'Twould make it easier for deliveries too, probably. At this time of year, that brick-built building is a lot cooler than all the wooden buildings we use. We should talk with Mousa and the others when we get back, oh, and I suppose also to whoever His Honour has nominated to be the co-ordinator of the Longest Day event.

“I gather you never had much of a Harvest Festival day up here anyway. I wonder what it shall look like with the entire town's citizenry gathered ...”

I needed to interject then: “Right, ladies. We are nearly to the Fish Farm, let us drop this subject for now and return to it later. Davabet needs to learn about this.” I turned to her. “Davvy, this is our Fish Farm and the entrance we need is over here ...”

… … …

BOOM!

Our frayen all jerked nervously and for a heartbeat I thought that our new girl was going to fall, but she and her animal rapidly reached an accommodation so nothing untoward happened.

We all looked up at the valley wall above the lake we were just riding away from. We saw a cloud of dirty smoke way up there, and some other dusty clouds from further down the narrow canyon. They were using that gun-powder stuff to widen the canyon to provide an alternative route into the Vale. I assumed the dusty clouds were where the blasted-out rocks were tumbling down.

“I hope they don't disturb the fish lake,” said Pomma, “or block off its water, or something.” She beat me to saying it, for that was a concern to me too.

“I am sure they have thought of that,” replied Em reassuringly. But I would wager she will go to Master Bezan at the first opportunity and mention it. I was becoming an expert on reading her face and tones.

“At least,” I said, “we know there won't be another of those noises for a while. They will have to work at clearing what they just blasted and then ...”

BOOM!

Another little jiggling moment atop the animals.

I turned round and yelled up at the mountainside: “Thanks for making a liar out of me! Grrrr!”

Davvy started giggling first but soon we were all at it. I swear the frayen joined in too, in a frayenish way.

“Right then Davabet. Tell us your impressions of your first days. And don't spare Julina any blushes. We all enjoy it when we make her blush!”

I kept my tongue still as she went through each of the previous four days. The others seemed to think we had done so much, but it all seemed normal to me. And my new companion also seemed to take it all in her stride.

Then I was asked to speak. “To return to the subject, tell us more about these clay pots for keeping food cool, you must favour them if you have named one of your Inns after them!” said Sookie as we drew near the bridge at the bottom of Main Street. “Where shall I get some? Are they being produced in numbers?”

“Davvy, you will recall that we have found that we can prepare food and, depending upon what it is, keep it stored for up to four days and still be edible. It seems the cooler the better, the longer. Senidet tells me that they are working on another device, some machine or other that has one of those lectric motors she keeps going on about and which will do a similar job, but with much larger capacity. But these are still some years away from becoming available. As for production of zeers round here, I know not of any. These all were shipped upvalley.”

“Talking of Senidet, did I see her working in your Salon yesterday?” Sookie enquired, changing the subject herself.

“Indeed you did. She has installed a funny thing on the wall she calls a clock, but 'tis nothing like any clock I have seen up at Kelly's. It has no fewer than five of those wires she uses for her lectrics. And ...” I said, raising a hand to forestall the obvious question “... no, I have no idea for what those five wires are used. She says there is a similar clock installed also in the Steward's house.

“If I was honest, I would be forced to admit to being reluctantly impressed; I say reluctant for I find it all just a little bit … new … for my personal comfort. Which is strange, since nearly all of what I consider my home town is now new, and I am far more accepting of that!

“But back to this clock thing. There are two things she calls dials on it, the one on the left I am beginning to understand now. It is astonishingly accurate with the bells and I am beginning to learn to not listen for the bells themselves, I can just read what time it is by looking at the wall. There is a number which says which bell period we are in, and a mark to show how far through that bell period we are; a little indicator shows whether they are day bells or night bells which I find a little too much - after all, you only have to look outside to see whether 'tis dark or not.

“Kelly tells me her family listened to what Senidet had to say and totally disbelieved her. Senidet persuaded them to try it for a week, and in that time they were converted to this method of keeping time. They tested it at every bell ring for an entire week and could find no fault. Kelly privately told me that they suspect this lectric clock thingy is more accurate than their one. And that's the one we have been using in this town for years and years and years.

“I am, as I said, impressed. Our dial changed the bell number every time exactly as the bells were rung, and the quarter bells were accurately sounded.”

“You mentioned there were two dial whatsits on the wall though. What of the second?”

“Oh that! I just don't quite understand it. I feel I will do so at any heartbeat but 'tis too strange for me as yet. Her Highness' homeland uses a different system for timekeeping. They start their day at midnight!”

As expected, I got a few gasps of reaction to that statement.

“Their system counts the time after midnight, having divided up the day into twenty-four things they call hours. So twelve hours from midnight to noon, every day. And twelve again from noon to midnight. They call all the hours between midnight and noon 'the morning hours' even when it's not morning, when it's still dark! And those hours are divided up into sixty things called minutes. This dial on the right shows both the hours and the minutes, or it will do once I am used to it. But 'tis too much of a strain to try to use it during my days just now, I am far too busy with other tasks to try to concentrate on something that is relatively irrelevant.

“But I must say, their system is exactly right when it comes to our noon and midnight. And it does seem to be easier to count up to twelve and not worry about dawn being at a different time the next day.

“I confess it is something I've known about for a while now, and I have the feeling I have need of just one tiny little fact and the whole thing will fall into place.

“But that tiny little fact is most annoyingly elusive, I can tell you!

“Ah! We're here at the Claw. Davvy, how are you feeling? Could you ride for another half bell? We are back a little earlier than we intended, we could ride up to the Market Place, have a look at the work going on at your suggestion, show Sookie the Mansion and then come back down East Street. How about that?”

“I should like that, as long as it doesn't cause problems?”

“Come then ladies, let's away to the Market Place.”

We went up Main Street and gawped at the Messenger buildings, both old and new, not that there was much to see of the new one, just small marking stakes jutting out of the soil. We noticed a crowd gathering round the Auction Hut so we quickly went the other way to inspect the passageway Davvy had suggested, there being far fewer people around than normal. I deem we were all taken somewhat aback to see that the wooden flooring was almost already complete. Even as we gawped, a wagon arrived, laden with wall units. We caught a few disgruntled glances so we decided 'twas time to keep out of the workers' way.

We skirted round the Shuttle Shed and approached my Mansion, but could not get very near to it. Our way was blocked - no, that's wrong, it wasn't blocked exactly, we could still make progress, but carefully as there was a great throng there, all intent on watching something. We, being mounted, had a better view and could see that some mats had been laid on the ground by the Auction Hut, between there and the low wall before the barracks. On those mats several of the soldiers appeared to be tumbling about like acrobats, but slightly differently.

Wait a heartbeat! Surely that was Surtree, one of them, wasn't it?

Just then, a whistle blew and the men – and boys – all stood up. Some stood to attention off to one side whilst ten or a dozen – no 'twas indeed ten – lined up on the mat into pairs facing each other a stride apart, Surtree was paired with a man nearly twice his size, it seemed to me, the two of them being closest to us. There came a further whistle blow after which they all bowed to their partner, in a very graceful but obviously formal way.

And then it happened. Shocking us all into gasps with its suddenness.

I watched in fascinated terror as the large man rushed at Surtree. I was convinced that the poor lad would be splattered to the ground, but he stood there calmly watching the oncomer, someone who was so comparatively large. The man's arm darted forward... and suddenly the attacker was flying through the air and landing on his back! The entire crowd gasped. Then gasped again at another pair of fighters doing similar things. All in all, the hand of pairs of fighters were in constant motion, so gasps seemed to come every few heartbeats. I looked at the crowd and saw they were mostly women, the men I assumed being at their workplaces.

Pomma too had noticed that for I heard her ask herself: “Are there any men here?”

The Surtree pair stopped their sparring, stood together and bowed, first to each other and then to the crowd. They turned sharply and marched off the mats. Another pair then came from the side to take their place. They too bowed to each other and then they too tried to beat each other to death! This went on for a little while, other pairs going off and coming on, all of them bowing then beating. I recognised Jerk's landsmen amongst them, which made me realise I must go and see Jerk, to smooth things over, to get back to a normal respectful relationship unhampered by passion.

Suddenly a great gasp went up and a silence fell temporarily. My attention shot back to the mats. It took me a little while to work out why, but then I realised that one of the newcomers was His Highness, our Prince Keren himself. And surely… yes, that was the other Prince, that Torulf one. The other pairs had all vacated the mats and this pair of Princes proceeded to wrestle each other, each throwing his opponent through the air on several occasions. It was fast and furious and used up nearly all the mat space.

We watched fascinated as they went through their routines. Each time one of them landed after being thrown, whether 'twas on their back or on their sides or front, they simply fluidly rolled and sprang back to their feet, bouncing up and down, hands half raised, ready for the next grapple. I must say, watching particularly Prince Keren being thrown about aroused in we watchers a strange mix of emotions, anger that someone would dare to attack our future King and yet enjoying one of the 'nobs' being treated roughly. The skill these two showed was apparent to us all.

After a dozen or so throws each, some in combination, the Princes bowed to each other and then Torulf marched off the mat, to be replaced by four men, all very large. They bowed to each other and to Prince Keren.

And then all four attacked the Prince at once!

No-one gave the Prince a chance but in an eyeblink or two, he threw all four of them and stood proudly, clearly the victor.

The entire show had lasted I would guess a quarter of a bell and it had finished with the Prince against these four others. The crowd gave a huge cheer and began to disperse.

Then an event occurred that I only then realised that I had been secretly hoping for; although I must say that I was unprepared for the consequences.

“Davabet? Is that you?”

Her head shot round towards the voice. She smiled proudly. “Indeed, Mother, 'tis I.”

“Oh my darling girl!” said the woman - before bursting into copious tears.

… … ...

“I suppose I understand your words, Mistress Talbet, but must say that I find the concept a little bizarre. Just as you seem to find my concept a little bizarre.”

We were standing in the west wing of the ground floor of the Frolicsome Frayen, a name that many already simplified to simply 'The Frayen'. Sookie had left with Pomma and they had both kindly taken the animals down to the Claw with them, Sookie promising us that just this once she would arrange for their desaddling and grooming, and would not be forgetting the tit-bit giving.

Thus allowing Davvy, her mother, Em and I to have a chat. As we were approaching the Frayen, we met Epp as well and she would not be unwelcome in the discussions that I knew were about to take place, so I took her arm and dragged her with us, after of course ensuring she had the requisite time so to do.

After all the introductions, I started matters off by saying: “Mistress Talbet, it is an honour to meet the person that has brought up Davabet so well. She was a wonderful accident to meet, and – even though we have only worked together for a few days – I look forward to many more days and weeks, months or years even. I deem we have compatible personalities and outlooks.”

“But Mistress Julina, I am worried about her.” She held a hand up to stop my immediate response. “Let me say outright, from the very start, that I am overjoyed that she has at last found a job and not only that, one with such an apparently reputable employer. Yes, I have made some enquiries! I am impressed with your involvement in this Accommodation business and I understand that expensive dining room that is known as the Salon also employs you ...”

I was about to correct her there when Epp grabbed my arm and shook her head in gentle warning.

“... I and her father had begun to doubt that anyone would be able to see her good qualities beyond her affliction, so I was already more than a little tearful that someone finally had done just that. I am aware of my child's hopes and dreams, so 'twas even more emotional for me to see her astride a frayen, knowing that she has wanted to do that, at least since we have seen your group of women most mornings, if not longer; I for one could never see any possibility of her fulfilling that dream, even if she DID manage to gain employment. Although I too would ride 'twere it possible, I have never considered that as a possibility, it being far beyond our financial circumstances.

“It is of course now suddenly very different for me. For all her life, I have had Davabet with me throughout the day. So this is all such a shock I have had to cope with. Nevertheless, I am worried for and about her. Surely you work her, and by extension yourself, far too hard. There are but twenty bells of a day and seven of them should purely be for rest. Davabet has scarce had six bells at home each day since she started with you. Are we to expect this to continue?”

I actually laughed then. “I can understand that you are a mother and I understand too the naturally motherly instincts you must have. The fact is ...”

“You?! How on Anmar can you know what a mother feels? You are far too young.”

“Well, the thing ...”

“Hold, Mistress Julina! Allow me to answer for you.”

Mistress Talbet turned to face Epp, an eyebrow raised in question.

After Epp gave her a far too flattering account of my life which raised gasps and shocked exclamations from both of the relative strangers (there were details in there that Davabet did not know as well), Mistress Talbet turned back to me with a certain sympathy in her eyes: “I apologise, Mistress Julina – you DO know something of being a mother. However, I still deem that you are working yourself and Davabet too hard. And until just now, I was unaware that you were there at the outset of the Salon, I had heard that 'twas the woman whose house 'tis in, and she tried several people, one of whom stole from her. I assume your task has been to put her ideas into place, but confess I fail to understand why she has not done this herself.”

Both Em and I couldn't stop our lips twitching into a little smile, but Talbet's attention had been diverted to her daughter so she missed our facial antics.

“Mother! That is unfair. For me to do properly the job for which I have been hired, then there is much to learn. Particularly in these early days. 'Twill not always be so. Mistress Julina, I have been told, gives herself at least one free day every week. And the Salon is closed one day a week too – in fact 'tis actually the day today. We must needs go there soon to help with the restocking and so on.”

“So this is no free day for her, even though the Salon is closed this evening?”

It was time, I deemed, for me to take back some control. “Mistress Talbet, at the moment Davabet is having intensive training in frayen riding. This is because my REST is also gained by having morning rides around the nearby countryside with a group of friends; you have already mentioned that you have seen us quite often. There is much for us to see on those rides, for example much to compare with last week, last month and so on. Once Davabet is accustomed to riding for longer periods of time, then she shall be invited to come along with us – it shall not be a part of her work. I deem that soon, once she has gained the basic training required in the many subjects in which I require of her to develop some skill, then her working day shall probably be from noon to midnight, something like that – surely that is not too much?”

“Hmmph! We have always maintained that a healthy life was seven bells of sleep, seven of work and the rest for family activities.”

“A very noble aim towards which to strive! I however am young and not yet settled. I wish to create what I can now while this great opportunity exists. I said many months ago that there is here an enormous scope and much opportunity for those prepared to work hard. So I deem a little hard work now will set me up for the rest of my life. Maybe, when I have found my man and I settle down to raise a family, I shall have put aside enough coin for us to live on comfortably.”

“But surely a woman, being the only one capable of doing so, should have the job of breeding as her primary function?”

“I suppose I understand your words, Mistress Talbet, but must say that I find the concept a little bizarre. Just as you seem to find my concept a little bizarre.”

In an attempt to change the subject, for 'tis possible that Em detected a slight tautness in my voice, she then asked Mistress Talbet about herself.

“Ah! Well 'tis only fair, I deem, to reply likewise, having heard the young mistress' story.

“I began in Teldor itself. Regretfully, the names of neither my father nor my mother are known. I was brought up by a family who gave me sufficient loving for me to still miss them. They were merchants, quite well off, and she had nearly lost her life when she gave birth to a young girl named Lisabet. Lisabet did not long survive, and I was found in a crib by the roadside a week later. They named me Talbet, the 'bet' part of the name meaning something to her. I continued the tradition, as you can readily appreciate,” she added with a little smile and a nod towards Davvy.

“I helped my father a little with his books for I had pestered him to learn to write. I confess I find numbering difficult with the old numbers, but Davabet tells me there are new numbers, and they make it all a lot easier. I shall endeavour to learn them as soon as I might. I appear to have many more bells for myself now my daughter deserts me for the most part of the day!

“Sadly, my father went to his pyre when I was still a minor. Mother went into his office to bring him some pel and he was just sitting there in his chair, totally white and cooling. Somehow everything just suddenly stopped. Mother was not capable, perhaps confident would be better said, of keeping his work going. So the business was sold to another, leaving Mother enough money to never have to work again.

“But she couldn't do that. So she opened a guest house, just to have company of an evening I suspect. We certainly worked hard in that period, but 'tis where I learnt that there must be time for family and not constant work.

“However, 'twas also there where I met my man. By that time I had achieved my majority and Dilligas was a regular boarder with us whenever his barge was in port. We wed, but I basically stayed at home while he was away. This went on for a year or two. Eventually, Mother grew tired of the constant demands of a guest house and chose a quieter lifestyle. I had remained with her throughout, since my man was away a lot. She helped me through my pregnancy and the awkward delivery. Dear Davabet has been a joy to me but, simply because of her arm, she suffered terribly from other children her own age, and from some adults too.

“Dilligas was persuaded to invest his time and most of my and my mother's money in a new barging company, but that business just never quite got going, and the company that had started with such high enthusiasm and such great hopes soon folded. 'Tis a mystery to us to this day why the collapse came so suddenly.

“The bullying of Davabet got more and more, Dilligas needed work and there was now none on the river, so he became a labourer. My mother went to her pyre soon after. We sold the house and Dilligas had the luxury for a while of taking more care to find a suitable position of employment. But somehow the right job never materialised. Since then, we have moved three or four times, hoping that something better would come up to ease our poor daughter's burden.

“And so we finally arrived here, for we heard that there were many jobs going up here, and the conditions were good, taxes non-existent. Dilligas is now on the road-building team, but I know he still really wants to work on water. He has sacrificed himself for us, his family. His coin is adequate, but barely more than that. We were so pleased that Davabet found a job at last, not just for her and her peace of mind, but also for some easement of our finances.

“But we are both uneasy that she has been so completely taken away from us. We have gone from full to empty overnight!”

I caught sight of Em and Epp. Both signalled with their eyes that they wanted to talk. My heart dropped for I guessed that they wanted me to unload myself of Davabet. And that would be hard for me, but so much more difficult for the poor girl. More eye-speak meant that Epp and I withdrew for a few moments, leaving Em talking to the other two.

Standing in the next but one room, Epp and I started talking about the mother rather than Davvy, much to my relief.

“She has experience of guest housing! And has already mentioned empty days. I deem there is a resource we could use! Have you already ideas about the staffings we shall require?”

My mind raced, for I had not been expecting this change of subject.

“Speaking only of Meglina,” I started, “then I was wanting your confirmations of my initial findings and awaited your suggestions too. We have the Frayen to staff, and the Stoop over at the Artisans' Area.”

“Indeed. I deemed there to be a few suitable people about whom I was going to talk to you on the morrow. But hold a heartbeat or two. I detect another thread there in your words, you said 'speaking of Meglina'. Do you have other requirements too? That are similar to what we need for Meglina?”

“That I have, Epp. My Consociation will require staff too. I deem that we shall require a housekeeper for the students and then someone to deal with the little shop/cafe, toilets, general cleaning and so on. Maybe she or he shall be in overall charge of the entire building, with the student housekeeper under, but running a separate … division if you like.

“I worked recently with Venket and her mother Darna, down at the Retreat – which may also soon develop into something Meglina should concern itself with – and Venket is a gifted teacher. She must needs continue learning at the Salon, but she has a way with students that neither of us could better. I see her teaching the Consociation students the basics, and her mother being the mother figure to the students, dealing with them, arrivals, overnighting, breakfasting, departures – she did that well down at the Retreat.”

“Why would you not have Darna do all you require in that building?”

“She is lightly, but still painfully, crippled by the treatment she received at her man's hands.” I felt and heard my voice rising, so I clamped down hard on my emotions. “She was at the limit of her abilities down there, physically, and to ask her to do all that is required in my Mansion would be too much. But I deem her also to be too valuable not to offer a position to. So I was hoping that she will accept when I offer her the job at the Consociation whilst at the same time sort of holding her in reserve for Meglina – somewhere! Maybe a sort of mother to the girls who shall come for weddings, I was thinking, for those women tend to get more and more scatterbrained the closer it gets to their wedding day!”

Epp snorted at that and then quickly returned to the matter at hand: “My insides say that this Talbet is someone we need. But where and what leaves me still uncertain.”

“I concur, dear Epp. I feel we MUST harness her abilities, just as I do those of Darna.”

“She has no idea that we have just interviewed her for employment, has she?” Epp remarked and we grinned at each other.

We went back in and heard Em talking animatedly about the future of Blackstone County: “… so we will have so much more traffic, and this railroad I mentioned, why 'tis announced that HERE will be where an important part of it is developed - in all of Palarand, Blackstone has been chosen. The Palace declared that we are remote enough to cause least inconvenience and therefore we shall be at the forefront of that task. Even more workers shall soon be sweeping in to what shall be in effect a proving ground.

“Down in Bezlet itself shall also be a proving ground, but this time for ...”

I gasped, grabbed Epp's hand and dragged her out again, leaving Em in full flow.

“Epp! Epp! - Bezlet! We have the Clay Pot there, and that is in the village by the road. In Riverside Bezlet we were thinking of a cafe and a bunkhouse for the bargers. Bargers, Epp! Talbet's man wants to be involved with the river. We could make her our general manager for Bezlet, then, have her man help Bargemaster Steef. Pachet can run her Inn and restaurant without worrying about setting up all the rest down there – I know she, Pachet that is, feels almost overwhelmed as it is as she is nervous about turning her food place into an inn, a small roadhouse as she puts it. Let us make this Talbet our representative voice down there, maybe even hand over the Retreat stuff eventually.”

Epp's enthusiasm matched my own. “Done! If we can swing it all. Excellent ideas, 'Lina. ”

“And don't forget that Steef is my Uncle!”

“You minx! But well thought again.”

We returned just as Em finished saying something and Talbet grunted in agreement. They both looked at us almost as if in relief, but with interest too. Davabet had the look of a dooclor in confusion, and her glance of relief at me was almost palpable. I guessed that the conversation there had begun to get a little strained.

“I apologise for dragging Mistress Megrozen away, but I needed to give her some information about our company, Meglina Accommodation. I deemed that Bailiss Michet here could provide the two of you with some information about the future of Blackstone and its advantages, information which I and Mistress Megrozen have heard several times before - but information which would enable you to see that Davabet's involvement shall be at the forefront of much that is developing here. As you yourself said, Mistress Talbet, I have many interests and little time to look after them all, so I must grab such opportunities as and when they present themselves. I meant you no disrespect.”

She looked confused for a moment and then I realised she was torn as to which way she should continue the conversation. As I suspected, the social niceties proved to be the stronger.

“Did you say Bailiss? I have not heard that term before!”

“Mother, the Bailiss is a member of the Town's Assembly. Part of her duties are to be the Assembly's voice to the citizens and the citizens' voice to the Assembly.”

“Maker! Forgive me Bailiss, I was unaware.” She bobbed a quite deep curtsey to Em, who waved her action aside.

I struck while the iron was hot so as to speak. “Mistress Talbet, I have been wanting to speak with you for a few days now, and that was to invite yourself and your man, Goodman Dilligas I deem, to a dinner at the Salon soon. I wished to show you some reward for producing and bringing up such a lively and intelligent girl as Davabet.”

“Maker! I couldn't go there, Mistress Julina – 'tis far too grand for such as us.”

“But I insist! And I must say that we are not so very grand in there, I can readily assure you.” I could sense her hope that maybe she and her man could actually dine there was growing the more I pushed the matter.

“But I have nothing fine to wear, and would not wish to show Davabet up!”

Aha! That answer told me that she was now actually considering it. I just needed to make perchance one tiny little push more ...

“Oh Mistress. There is no cause for alarm, we have all sorts who dine there. Many, 'tis true, make a special effort with regards to their attire, but we also have workers in there sometimes and soldiers, these people all being in their working clothes.”

I flashed a glance at Em who, with reasonable and yet soothing tones, was quick to confirm what I had just said and who added: “Attired as you are now, Mistress, why that too would be perfectly acceptable.” She laughed. “After all is said and done, 'tis located in my house, so I may invite who I might and tell them what I might regarding their looks and clothes!”

YOUR house. Oh Bailiss, I didn't know! So 'tis you who are the head of it all. Forgive my ignorance, please.”

Again Em just waved her hand to brush the subject aside. We both knew from experience that it was all too complicated and would waste too much time to explain properly.

I continued then: “May I book you a table for say six days time? We shall make it the later sitting that you are not rushed to finish your meal, and that shall be an evening before we are closed for the day so you ...”

Epp interrupted me: “Julina my dear, I deem that that evening would not be suitable! For that is to be our arranged 'Korond evening' you may recall. The late sitting on that evening is already fully booked.”

I slapped myself on my head. “You see Davvy how much I need someone to help me keep track of all these events?” I turned to her mother. “The evening prior to that then; would you please let Davabet know if your man is available that evening so she may tell me when we meet on the morrow? That way you may discuss it with your man later today and I shall be able to make the arrangements tomorrow, thus making sure the booking is not so late that there shall be no table for you. I warn you, I shall keep inviting you until you accept, so it might as well be sooner rather than later!”

“She means it, Mother! I know her well enough by now.”

“Indeed, Mistress Talbet. Both Mistress Megrozen and I can confirm that fact, and I will add my own persuasional skills to the mixture as well.” Dear Em added more of her support.

“If you say so, Bailiss, then I must concede. I shall suggest it, suggest strongly, to Dilligas this e'en and let Davabet know before she comes to you in the morning.”

“Thank you, Mistress Talbet.”

… … …

“Mother, I know, would also dearly like to ride a frayen, but she has so far treated her familial responsibilities as a priority. And I know too she would appreciate the Tai Chi.”

“Then 'tis no less than your duty to bring her to both these activities.” She looked rapidly at me to see if I was in jest, but realised swiftly that I was not. “And, as I get a special price, then tell your mother I shall pay for her riding lessons. She shall have to have a public beast, though,” I warned. “But I was asking about your father's experiences, especially on the barges.”

“Ah yes! But I regret I can tell you little more than that which we have already said. I was … er … being bullied rather heavily at the time, so my concentration was more upon myself!”

“Very well. If my memory serves, Bargemaster Steef was involved in that company that failed as well. Mayhap the two already know each other. You may tell your father that I have reason to believe that much pressure was applied by Count Trosanar to prevent barge traffic passing Tranidor without paying some form of tax. He desired then to control all commerce in the Palar valley. He has since been persuaded to look upon things in a different light. Our Princess it seems re-educated him, along with Duke Gilbanar.”

“Ah! You know so much, I find it nearly unnerving!”

“But,” said Surtree, “you find it fascinating too, don't you Davvy?”

We three were on a bac heading for the curtained off area at the head of the valley. I wanted to see what Pyor was up to, how he was fitting in and I deemed I had just enough time to make the small journey, spend a half bell with him, and then get back to the Salon.

Yes, alright, I was being nosy, extremely nosy!

I justified it to myself since Surtree in particular had oft expressed a desire to see behind those screens, a desire that was quite deeply rooted inside me as well. I did have, however, plenty of handy excuses as to why we required access behind there. I sort of looked forward to trying some of them out.

Davvy and I had made our farewells to the others and I had then taken her around The Frayen pointing out this and that, and trying not to interfere with what became a constant and increasing stream of deliveries – beds, mattresses, nightstands, lanterns, tables, chairs, kitchen ranges, pipework and so on and so forth. There was so much I immediately understood why Bezan had said nay to my suggestion of using this as the temporary Healers' Home. We had to practically dance out of the way of the sweating men. Every time we seemed to find a peaceful corner, another party of workmen laid claim to it, grunting as they deposited their loads just where we had recently been.

The two of us had emerged from The Frayen (shortly before we were bodily thrown out, I suspect) and stood there blinking in the bright light of day. A grinning Surtree came bounding along after his strenuous morning with the soldiery.

“Apprentice Surtree reporting for duty, Mistress.” He smiled widely and snapped off a passable chest-thump salute. All of which made Davvy giggle and me struggle to keep a straight face.

Davvy made it plain that she expected me to speak first, so I did: “That was most impressive, young man. I deem you have spent your time well with the soldiers if that demonstration was anything to judge by.”

Davvy then jumped in without a pause, so eager was she to say her piece: “Yes, Surtree, we very much enjoyed it all and were impressed by those examples you all showed us. The way the Prince dealt with those four almost together was something I shall not forget for a long while!”

“Ah! I am not that advanced yet, what I did was fairly basic stuff. His Highness is so far ahead of all the rest of us, even the trained guards. And his opponents in that last exercise were thrown yes, legitimately, but were under instructions to just roll back to their feet and not attack again. I doubt not that the Prince would have continued to throw them, but it would all have become tiring and somewhat repetitive. They judged that 'twould be a good finale for any audience we had.”

“That it was!” I said enthusiastically.

Davvy also added in her praises.

I then got us all back on track by saying: “But now we must needs return to practical day-to-day matters. Have you eaten?”

“Aye, they gave us some pastries, honeycakes and cold cuts. And a mug of pel.”

“Excellent! I know what an appetite you have, so we have an all-too-short spell before your hunger takes over again. I have to be at the Salon soonish but deem we have time to make a quick call first. We will make some peet-zers when we get down there in about a bell. So let us get our working day underway with a quick investigation of something I know you are curious about, Surtree. We shall find a bac and go and see what's behind the green door.”


up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

For you US folks

Will she take what is behind curtain number one or ...

I believe I might have found another .... ^_^

Oh, as for: '“And don't forget that Steef is my Uncle!”

Alas, there are no Roberts in Palarand yet.

I do suspect that the little fact missing

For Julina about the 24hr system, is that its easier to divide by 24 and 60/60 than it is 20:4, also the fact that there are always 12 am and 12 pm hrs.

As for midsummer festival, I do suspect some new technology will be showcased, Blackstone fueling the fires for the development, so to speak, and likely using more steam power per capita then anywhere else.

Interestingly, but also pedantically ...

... the abbreviations a.m. and p.m. stem from Latin, maybe even Chivan.

Both reference noon --- the m part stands for meridiem, or midday.
The A stands for ante - which means before.
The P stands for post - which means after.

So therefore 12 p.m. actually means 12 hours after midday - in other words midnight.
And 12 a.m. actually means 12 hours before midday - in other words midnight.

It is impossible to reference noon with the a.m. / p.m. system, because both refer to a time difference with noon as the basis.

But then facts don't seem to matter too much nowadays, so we can keep on living with our inexactitudes.

Sorta

As the noon hour (12 p.m.), with the exception of exact instance of noon is all after midday. You can't "0th hour" because you couldn't express it in roman numerals, as the first 24hr clocks were labeled

Noon

I recall reading at sometime that noon is 12M. This was said to be "meridian", or "meridiem", halfway through the day.

This is why I've always favored the 24hr system over the 12hr system, all these problems telling time go away. Well, except for those that can even mangle the 24hr timekeeping. I was taught that anything past midnight and before 0100hrs was "00". Ten minutes past midnight was 0010 and so on. Yet from time to time I run into those that would call that 2410. Hmmp.

Mind you, the current system is the latest attempt at defining time, or timekeeping anyway. The old system of BC/AD gave way to BCE/CE somewhere along the way also. Not a problem Garia needs to worry about, however.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Meridian

If I recall correctly the AM PM system of time referenced the Meridian, or noon. So hours Anti Meridian are before noon, and hours Post Meridian are after noon. Although oddly enough the day actually starts at midnight... Thus 12:01 AM is one minute after midnight, and 12:01 PM is one minute after noon...

'What's behind the Green door

'What's behind the Green door'? A song from the 1950's, about a 'speakeasy'.
That came rushing into my head when I saw the comment of Surtee's to Julina and Davvy that they all needed to go and see.
Weird how minor comments can bring up memories like that.

And indeed, Janice, you hit the nail on the head

See my comment above, the second in the thread. I had the Shakin' Stevens version ringing in my head as I wrote this part of the 'Saga'. This is the sort of thing I usually comment on by filling out the 'Influences' part of the Anmarian Appendices - but I realise as I type this that I have forgotten about that section for the last few episodes. Slapped wrist for me.

Toodle

J

For some reason I just

Can't help but think that festivals in Blackstone will resemble albeit on a smaller scale The World's Fair in some aspects, Perhaps once travel between Blackstone and Paraland takes a week or less Garia will time her summer visits for that festival, Of course choosing the longest day makes me think that you might include mention of Julina's dreams the following night.. Namely because "If we spirits have offended, think but this and all is mended..."

What to do with the old VMS office

Make it a bank after the festival, it is central to the primary money makers, spenders and purchasing locations and it is partially stone and has the file cabinets already, also right by leos

You have the market place somewhat close, you have the community hall where assembly meetings take place, you have Julina and the Claw nearby, the carpenter, the Wheelwright, the steward and Brydas

Bezlet is the proving grounds

For containerization based transhipping, now if the steam barge only carries 4 basic units (could be more, the 4 per barge could have been based on current barges) and a basic unit is volumetricly 1 wagon load, though by weight each wagon can only hold 2/3rds of that in coal/stone (with single Dranakh) then it could be 6 wagon loads per barge, 6 wagons that don't have to travel all the way to Haligo (or at least the Tranidor Warf) and back, depending on the river traffic that isn't something to laugh at, as once the wagons have slightly reduced demand in Blackstone, many will focus on the Haligo end of the route to cover the land only portion of the coal route, or base themselves in various regions for short distance transport. Though if they retrofit instead of just making new, or use use barges traditionally from Haligo on, even partway, there's bond to be a few merchant ships that even if they were returned to their country of origin (Joth for example) are lacking proper owners thanks to Yod, not to mention left over military ships and incomplete ships that aren't doing any good sitting and are already or on their way to being outmoded, refitting them for cargo transport along the Sirrel would be profitable, not to mention repairing some of the damaged ships that were beached before they could sink completely, considering that Yod had been planning to take the Valley for years, and it was only Yves and Garia that caused them to accelerate their plans, they probably have a bunch of incomplete ships, and shipyards that with the collapse of the former government, have left abandoned, long journey for them to get to where the industry is, but it's better than having them sit, and it will provide money to help restructure Yod,