Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 245

Printer-friendly version

Galling As Falling - Appalling!
by Angharad
part 245.

I assumed mention of bikinis was just a wind up because there was no way I was wearing one to play with dormice, especially on film. Simon and Des were still sparring.

"You want a drink presh?" asked Simon.

I wasn't really listening, thinking about bikinis and Des. "Erm, what?"

"Do you want a drink?"

I'm not driving, so I opted for a glass of red wine, thought some of the antioxidants might help protect me from the chemicals in the food. Or was that antifreeze?

While Simon went up to the bar, Des leaned over to me, "You look absolutely gorgeous tonight. Leave Beetle juice and elope with me."

"I think the correct pronunciation is Betelgeuse and it's a first magnitude, red supergiant in the constellation of Orion. Besides he bought me a Specialized Ruby for Christmas."

"I have a friend who could be selling a Pinarello which would probably fit you."

"Tempting, but not enough," I flirted, "besides Simon's Saab is more comfortable than that scruffy old Landrover of yours."

"Yeah, but can you lie down in the back of his Saab?"

"I have a bed for lying on."

"Yeah, but just think, lying out in the open air, looking up at the stars...."

"Getting eating alive by blood sucking insects," I continued, "remember I do fieldwork, I've met just about every midge, mosquito and gnat there is in this country."

"Oh, how I envy them their intimacy," he said with this pained look on his face.

"What before or after I squash them?"

"Oh how kinky!" he chuckled.

I thought of the erectile projectile as I said the word squash. I wondered for a moment what would happen to a willie if those muscles spasmed. I saw Des being thrown out of the back of his Landrover. It caused me to smirk, he thought at his joke, typical man.

"So how come you know so much about astronomy?"

"Who said I did?"

"Did what?" asked Simon returning with drinks.

"We were talking about astronomy and Cathy was giving me a lecture on the constellation of Orion and it's Alpha star, Betelgeuse."

"Belt up," said Simon and began laughing.

Des and I looked at each other and shrugged.

"Belt - Orion's belt, belt up, geddit?"

"Ha ha," said Des.

I began to laugh, but more at Simon's explanation than the joke or even Des' response. It really was so weak.

"Well Cathy thought it was funny, didn't you babes?"

"Absolutely," I said laughing some more, this was getting sillier by the moment.

"You don't call her 'babes', do you? How patronising!"

"What's it to you what I call her?" Simon began to sound aggressive and he was probably big enough to do Des some serious damage.

"Come on you two, you're old school chums, come on don't fight over little me. I'm already spoken for, which you both know anyway."

"He was like this in school too, big bully," said Des, as if he was calling names in front of the teacher.

"Big bully? I saved your scrawny neck a few times at school, remember the time that Lampard was going to seriously hurt you?"

"Oh bugger yes, I'd only borrowed his bike talk about overreaction."

"His bike was rather valuable if I remember correctly and you forgot to return it after borrowing it."

"Wasn't my fault, some bastard stole it while it was outside the Coach and Horses."

"What were you doing inside the Coach and Horses?" I asked although I thought illegal drinking was probably the answer.

"You don't want to know dear...."

"He was screwing the landlord's missus, while he was down in the bar playing skittles," Simon said triumphantly.

"You bastard!" Des accused

"Is this true?" I asked.

"My parents were married before I was born, how dare you question them! So it isn't true." Said Simon obfuscating.

"Will the two of you behave?" I said firmly.

"He started it."

"Did not."

"You did so."

"Shut up, shut up both of you. Now stop this silly bickering." I felt myself getting very hot and bothered.

"But...."

"No buts, we came here to talk about a legitimate project, that of a film about the work we're doing at the university on captive breeding of dormice. Let's keep it to that and ordering our food, shall we?"

"Yes Mummy," said Des smirking.

"You just don't listen do you. If necessary I'll find another film maker." As I said this his face changed from amused to angry.

"Yes maybe you better had." He got up and walked away.

"Oh!" I felt myself blushing. "Can't you stop him Simon?"

"What for? Bloody moron, good riddance."

"But the bank wanted him to do it."

"It isn't my project, you want to stop him you go after him."

"Okay, I will, you realise he asked me to elope," I dropped as I walked past him.

"Wait Cathy, I'll go..."

Simon came rushing past me. I stopped and turned back to our table where a very confused waitress was waiting to take our orders.

"A misunderstanding," I said to her, "hopefully they'll both be back in a minute or two."

"Men!" said the waitress.

"Well you know, they're probably hormonal at the moment."

She started to laugh and so did I.

A few minutes later Simon came back to the table alone.

"Where's Des?" I asked anxiously.

"It's alright, he's gone to the toilet, he'll be back in a minute. Now to food, hardly inspiring as a menu is it?"

"I know what I'm going to have," I said.

"They don't have a tuna salad here," Simon scanned the menu.

"I'm not having tuna today."

He touched the back of his hand to my forehead, "You don't have a temperature, do you feel alright."

"I shall be fine as soon as we can sort out some details with Dirty Des."

"I heard that," he said, "I'll have you know I spent an hour in the bath this afternoon."

"Takes you that long to play with yourself?" Simon teased.

"I wasn't on my own."

"Nah, you had your rubber duck," said Simon.

"You saw me!" accused Des and we all fell about laughing.

"To order," I said as the waitress returned.

Simon opted for the steak and Des for the gammon. I looked at her and said, "Could I have just egg and chips?"

"Course you can, how many eggs?"

"Can I be greedy and have three?"

"Course," she went off with the order.

While we waited for the food, we actually began to talk sensibly. Des promised to look at how he would produce a film and what sort of shooting schedule he'd need, some in the labs some in the field and some in the bank.

In return I would give him some idea of the process of breeding and releasing the dormice, he wanted to film some being born if he could so we could appear to do a complete life cycle of the animals.

The food arrived and we ate talking more like adults, even Simon said useful things although it wasn't his field at all. He was obviously interested in costings and how many would be involved, who was going to write the script and so on.

The night ended much as it had started with Simon and Des shaking hands and Des kissing me and hugging me an instant too long to be comfortable, but his beard did tickle, which stuck in my mind longer than the details of the film, good job I'd written them down.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change of policy: comments are now compulsory!

(So I lied, it was Bonzi's idea.)

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I've a comment for Bonzi

But can't post it here. ;)

I'm really beginning to dislike Des, you know. I suspect there is less act to him then Simon believes. It might turn out that Cathy should have let him go just then, he is liable to take her action as encouragement. Little Des seems to do most of the thinking for big Des.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

How is it that there seems to be only one

mature, thinking, person at the table. Simon and Des have reverted to pre-teenage boys. Hope Cathy can keep them under control. And I agree with the first commenter...Des is a littlt too agressive for my comfort and Cathy seems to allow it. She's playing with fire and probalby doesn't realize it.

--------------

Now for the compulsory comment: Oh, it was such a great chapter. Please keep it up.

Woody

Innocent banter?

I tend to wonder about Des's intentions as well - although Cathy, Simon & Des have a chemistry together, it's not positive from what I can tell, unlike their usual interactions with Stella. Can't help that he's going to try to prove something to Simon, that he wouldn't have any qualms about using Cathy to do so. Hopefully I'm wrong!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

I Say That Dirty Des Is Bad News

For some reason he seems determined to score with Cathy even though she is betrothed to Simon. I can see him trying something only to have Cathy do something that he will not like and THAT will be the end of the friendship between Des and Simon.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not impressed

I've never been impressed by Des - he's far too aggressive and pushy. I wonder if he's really any good at his job with an attitude like that.

I don't think Simon deserves Cathy either. He can be so insensitive, and as for calling her 'babes' and 'presh' yuck!

Given her lack of experience, it must be confusing for Cathy to have to deal with these two males competing for her attention.

Compulsory comments be dammed

However as the story is wonderful and the author is one of my favorites I can only say I really want to strangle her cat.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

If You Strangle Bonzi

She'd never get a chapter done every day. He does about half the typing! :)

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Great minds and all that

But what's our excuse?

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Careful!

Bonzi was neutered, not declawed. Besides, who do you think has been writing this all along? Angharad is just the transcriber. ;-)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

You know too much

Angharad's picture

I may have to kill you!

Angharad

Angharad

Cally and Charlie are upset

Cally -- our calico girl and Charlie her brother, an orange tiger cat, love this serial. They would - at fourteen years of age, prefer dormice sent directly to their home at zipcode 53213.

I and my hungry cats love this story.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

That's a first!

Any number of teachers would be very surprised to hear that said about me. Likely a few people here would be also.

Warning: Don't send Bonzi. I have nails and know where to scratch behind the ears; he might never go back home. Bonzi, I've got a can of tuna here with your name on it.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

As the kitty compels me,

so shall it be done :)
Wonderful spot of writing there! Please keep it going; what's the record for serial stories anyways Bonzi, since I assume you are the real brains behind this story, what eh?
Cuddles Bonzi
Diana

Both of my cats would like to thank Bonzi ...

... for the wonderful story. and I would like to thank Angharad for her wonderful job of transcription ( if such the case may be. ).
However Bleu, the elder of the two who rule this house, has expressed some doubts, primarily because he cannot believe any of his brethren would know enough about mice of any type to be able to write the story so extremely well.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Oh dear

KevSkegRed's picture

A cat writing a story about mice, maybe he has ulterior motives. Just hope Cathy realizes and makes Spike and co more secure. Still loving the story.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Another great chapter

I'm sure that without Bonzi, Angharad would have no way of knowing if her spell checker was working.Thanks for the extra effort of writing on Easter.Amy

As stated in the new policy...

>>Change of policy: comments are now compulsory!<<

I'm providing my required comments. "Comment" "Comment"

Now that the required bit is out of the way, I'll say Des is still a cad. And his behavior is inexcuseable (if I could spell the danged word). I guess he's still a College boy. Some never grow out of it. Though it did appear that he was able to "put it aside" for a litle while there toward the end of the episode.

And, thinking about a cat writing a story about mice... Perhaps Bonzi's a Trans? A mouse trapped in the body of a cat? Nah, It couldn't be.

Thanks for the fun.

Annette

... it was Bonzi's idea.

Blame it on a poor defenceless animal who probably never said anything about it being more concerned with catching mice (or dormice?) or playing with some toy or other. Still, that's another reason I'm a dog-lover.

And what's with "compulsory" -- haven't I been good, assiduous, and punctual? OK, maybe I missed once but aren't you over-reacting? What do you mean; it isn't just about me?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I do love Cathy now, she has

I do love Cathy now, she has finally become more aggressive (wrong word, more forceful perhaps). I would still be care about Des tho, he still seems to be interested in her and not from a film making aspect.
J-Lynn

I think the word you want

Is self-assertive. Before she was blown about by whatever the circumstances were, now she is standing up for herself.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A POX ON YOU BONZI

How can I make comments when I still have 300 parts to go? I must read on...... 'Sika p.s. Qu'est que c'est le mot "cor?" well if you can use Welsh, I thought I should try sounding continental. your silly a merry can reader

Bemused by Bonzi

LibraryGeek's picture

If comments are compulsory, not very many are reading this serial. I think Bonzi was ignored by the masses. Poor kitty, snubbed by the readership!

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Bonzi's idea eh?

That naughty kitty, if I respond to every single part I'll never catch up! =P
Anyways, silly boys! They can be so childish sometimes... XD Well, most can anyway! I suppose getting Des and Simon together was a bad idea, they seem to revert to being schoolboys in each others presence!
Mmm... Egg and chips, good choice Cathy! You have to have runny enough egg yolk to dip the chips in though! =D
Loving the story as ever Angharad! ^^

*hugs*
Alyson

Soft boiled

I haven't had that in ages. When I was a kid I was introduced to them, with strips of toast. I loved them.

Simon too insensitive.

Cathy has to lay down a few rules or this marriage to come will not last. Stella on the other hand may turn out to be Cathys best friend in future regardless of Simons boorish behaviour. Perhaps aristocrats (male variety) are all like that. Pity they can't have hormonal flushes and periods etc. Being top of the tree, anthromorphicly speaking, makes them act like monkeys.
Regards,
Ellenz

Ellenz

Des

Methinks that Des is up to no good and it will end up causing Cathy a lot of heart ache. I don't think he's a very nice man. I should think things will end up being a sticky wicket.

Goodness me, now what was

Goodness me, now what was that ! Silence be, it was the cat.
Everyone blames the cat.
A Pinarello !!, that's about 12 grand USD. Pretty good bribe.
What a visual. Cathy's having sex, her ejectile is fully cocked, and then WHAM! it fires. and across the room goes poor Simon !

Cefin

Some men can be real idiots around women

Every single time Des is near Cathy, he comes on to her, to the point where it seems he's trying to steal her from Simon. He really, really needs to be hit with a clue by four regarding the fact that Cathy is engaged to Simon and is NOT available. I know that Cathy has told him that several times, yet he keeps pushing things. I don't think it's a good idea for him to be involved with the film, he'll be all over Cathy in that case.

But I have to say that Simon isn't the brightest one around, either, half the time he seems clueless, and a lot of the time he acts like Cathy is the housekeeper, not his fiancee. His family has enough cash they could hire people to keep the house clean, etc. yet they don't, why?

Compulsory comment

Julia Miller's picture

This is my compulsory comment. Good story, keep writing. (Of course, the story is at part 3329 at the moment.)