Seven Little Bullies

Printer-friendly version

This story references some violence, actually quite a lot of it. No sex though so it should be safe for the US market.

The Monday it all started I sat alone on the bus to school as usual. This was OK since I could spend the time to forge a letter from my parents recusing me from the upcoming school camping trip. Yes, I was not really the most popular kid in school. The fact that I didn’t conform to the usual stereotypes didn’t really help. Petite, long hair, artistic, dancing ballet and sometimes wearing a skirt made people peg me as gay, which I’m not, I prefer to think about myself as ”equal opportunity”. On the other hand my black belt in karate confused people as did the fact I was the school’s star pitcher. However, all this wasn’t really the direct reason why everyone kept their distance from me. I was also the favorite target of the group of bullies that styled themselves ”The Magnificent Seven”. They even had an ongoing ranking list of who was the worst bully.

You might think that with black belt in karate I’d wipe the floor with them. Unfortunately I’d really be in trouble if I used karate against them. I did once, in self-defense, against one of them and then together they made it look like I attacked the bully and the bully’s parents tried to label it an unprovoked ”armed” attack. My detective cousin managed to get the charges dropped but it was too close for comfort. Now I just take everything they dish out and try to minimize the damage. Most of it really isn’t physical either.

The reason I brought this up is what happened when we got to school. When we got off the school bus there was a crowd at the end of the parking area. The police was there and had sealed off part of the parking space. When the kids saw me they looked strangely at me but left space for me to get to closer. Then I saw Bill Bailey, the current, well late, nr 1 Magnificent Seven on the ground, his abdomen nicely cut with a Wakizashi next to him. I had seen that very Wakizashi a couple of weeks earlier during a not very pleasant Saturday I had spent in Jozef’s (ranking nr 4) basement. Jozef’s family had a very impressive collection of knives, swords and other old weapons from all over the world that they usually kept hidden away. I felt really honored to have seen them and even been on the receiving end of some of them. Will the word "FAG" be a permanent scar on my back?

I waved to my cousin who was walking around the corpse. He came over to me. He told me that he was the lead detective and that even though it appeared to be a suicide they’d investigate it further and that I was one of the persons they’d interrogate. Not that we ever were that close but he’d let a colleague interrogate me.

We all figured that Bill had offed himself but why? We were all sent home and told to come back the next day. I stayed to be interrogated. Interesting experience. Much less stressful than my usual school day.

We didn’t have any lessons on Tuesday either. That day I had ridden to school early to discuss my art project, forgery, with my art teacher. I was the one that found George (nr 2 on the latest ranking the previous week). The block had been carefully set in the middle of the school yard. The executioner’s sword carefully placed next to his body and the head neatly stuck on a pike firmly planted in the ground. I didn’t eat anything that day.

Well, this obviously wasn’t a suicide so my cousin and his colleagues were all over the place. The school closed until further notice. We suspected that somebody was going for the “Magnificent Seven”. Wednesday we stopped suspecting when an arbalest bolt went through Donald Derringer (nr 3).

Some people suspected me since I was one of their favorite victims. Jozef even accused me of stealing his family’s weapons collection. Sad really how unhinged he’d become. I think it was his car that almost ran me over later that day when I rode home.

The rest of the Magnificent Seven got police protection. Something they didn’t really like since it cramped their style. A week later school opened again and the remaining bullies started slipping away from their protection at times. I could have sworn that Jozef was behind me when I felt a push and I fell down the stairs but when I got on my feet again no one was there.

Maybe Jozef was more careful than the others since the next victim was Bully nr 5, not nr 4. Amazing the amount of damage a kris can make.

I was lucky that the shot that destroyed my cap wasn't couple of inches lower. It must have been someone careless since shooting really wasn't the “Bully-basher’s” style. Bow and arrow was. And now there were only number 4 (Jozef) and 7 left.

Number 7 had an unfortunate run-in with a halberd.

Jozef disappeared. He finally slipped his police protection completely and no one heard a word from him for over a week. Wierdly enough I received a letter bomb a couple of days later. Why me? I wasn't a Magnificent Seven!

------------------------------------------
The lead detective answered his phone

- Harry, we just found Jozef Tajkovsky.

- Is he OK?

- Not really. It appears he hanged himself. However, he left a suicide note that explained everything. In it he confessed that he killed the other bullies. The reason was that he really was transgendered. His bullying was way of trying to repress this but at last he couldn’t deny his real self. He realized how much he had hurt others and couldn’t let the other bullies live to continue making life miserable for so many kids. Now that he had finished his mission he could end his own miserable life. With his size he could never become a true woman. Harry, you should know he was wearing a dress when he hanged himself and had make-up on. Not very well done.

- OK I’m coming. The usual routine. And send me a picture of the letter.

The lead detective thought a little bit about how sad the whole issue was. How many lives destroyed one way or another, and for what? Stupid gender norms! When he saw the letter with Jozef’s very characteristic handwriting he absentmindedly noticed that Jozef misspelled the word “weird”, wierd, the same way as the lead detective’s wimpy cousin.

up
231 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Murder she giggled

laika's picture

Macabrely amusing in the Guignol tradition. Reminds me of the song BULLY BOYS ("three little corpses in a row...") by that weird group the Tiger Lillies. I always wondered why halberds have fallen out of style...
hugs, Veronica

Or the group "Fostering the People"

All the other kids
With a pumped up kicks
You better run, better run,
Outrun my gun...

Left me hanging didn't yuh!

BarbieLee's picture

Bru, my pretty pet, I read that story twice trying to figure it out. Either I'm really slow or you're a couple notches above your pay grade with this one. I'm still trying to guess if weird or wierd is the whole clue? They carved Fag on his back. Black belt would definitely have the skills to off all of them. How hard was it for him to convince Jozef to put on a dress?

I no longer wonder if you have a warped mind? You nailed the lid on this one. Nice work. Only, the hardest part of life isn't dying, it is living. One does not want to make a black belt the center of abuse.

Good story
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Wierd is part of the clue.

The wimpy black belt's interest in forgery is another.

Actually, this story is all your fault! I DO read comments and with my allegedly warped mind you never know what those comments trigger.

Want to be picked up tomorrow? We are taking the Roller again.

Nope

Compared with the Bully-basher the Virgin Vigilante is a pussycat (a really cute one). No lethal violence and handing over the perps with evidence to the police.

Allegedly warped??????

BarbieLee's picture

OMG, call EM, get out the paddles, I'm dying.
I'll pass on the Rolls ride. People might get the wrong idea about us..., I mean me.
Birds of a Feather Flock Together and all that jazz. You understand.
Red Dog Solon, midnight, be discreet, I'll spring for a couple Texas Twisters, pour you into a cab, send you home. Come morning the best part is you won't remember any of it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Texas Twisters = Roofies?

I think I'll pass on the Texas Twisters. I only drink alcohol once a decade and since I had a beer last year ... Which doesn't mean I can't lose inhibitions anyway...

The Halberd, a very deadly

The Halberd, a very deadly weapon when placed into the hands of a person trained to use one. It was at one time, the symbol and weapon of the Sargeant in charge of men in various European Armies.

Good writing

A creative writing teacher would approve. You use various elements of suspense, a strong plot, and good description. You present a message through a parable and are not preachy about it. Well done.

Hiker_JPG_1.jpg

I confess

I really like comments on my stories. To paraphrase Jerome Klapka Jerome:
I like comments; they fascinate me. I can sit and look at them for hours.
However, sometimes I get to the point where I wonder: Was this comment really meant for one of MY stories? Well, you learn something new every day :)

Bru
Author well-honed by writing various technical specifications and university course essays such as "Taming Oligarchs?" (Belarusian and Ukrainian studies)

PS
Thank you for the comment!

Jerome K. Jerome

Daphne Xu's picture

"It always does seem to me that I am doing more work than I should do. It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. I love to keep it by me: the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart. "

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do. Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen."

Maybe that's why I'm having trouble getting my stories out.

-- Daphne Xu

Reasonable Doubt

Daphne Xu's picture

I hope that the murders can be solved unambiguously, as opposed to jumping to conclusions. Right now, we don't have enough information to conclude anything. I hope that all of the detectives are competent and honest in their investigation.

I'm wondering if we have an unreliable narrator here. Was the detective's cousin really wimpy? Or did he really have a black belt in karate? Or were they two different cousins?

I can't find the usual "Bru" twist, either. Well, I did notice after the "lead detective" noticed, that "weirdly" was misspelled in the main part. I just noticed another thing when I went back: the opening section where he forges a letter from his parents. Does this connect with Jozef's handwriting in the suicide note? I think that misspelling in general is sufficiently common that one can't conclude anything from a misspelled word.

Oh, and what's a "kris"?

-- Daphne Xu

Different MOs

If you can't always trust Alfred Hitchcock's protaganist when telling something so why should you trust the narrator here?
However, assuming the narrator isn't too dishonest it looks like we have two possible murderers with different MOs, one using ancient weapons, another aiming for the narrator with more modern means. (Possibly because someone had taken the ancient arms).

It could also be that the nefarious scribbler intended the poor readers to be uncertain.

Bru

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris

A kris is a wiggly knife

laika's picture

used by sinister men wearing fezzes. Except at christmas time when they use a kris kringle :)
(edit: okay, they're Javanese, but the guy going after Mrs Peel on The Avengers
was wearing a fez. She kicked his ass real good...)

A slight miscount?

Haylee V's picture

It seems as if you have forgotten a bully, as I only counted 6. However, the styles of executions, as well as the uses of the martial weaponry is sheer genius! One criticism, though: hanging Jozef just doesn't seem to fit into the general theme of this story. Seppuku (Japanese suicide ritual of slicing open the abdomen) would seem more befitting a demise, given his (and his parents') fascination with collecting martial weapons and artifacts.

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V

(Fake) Seppuku was already used

for bully nr 1. As for bully number six his demise is hidden in
...since shooting really wasn't the “Bully-basher’s” style. Bow and arrow was. And now there were only number 4 (Jozef) and 7 left.
However, I agree that the last death didn't follow the pattern. Confession: I came up with the ending first (as I usually, but not always, do) and the rest grew from that as I was writing. The ending really should have been made to conform with the pattern.

No apology needed

Haylee V's picture

Please don't take my comment so harshly. I, for one, LOVED the somewhat warped way the story unfolded. Your writing style issi milar to mine, as I seem to write the intro and ending first, then go back and fill in the details,

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V

Interesting

Jamie Lee's picture

First, why did the school tolerate what those seven were doing? Second, when the kid was hauled to the basement, and FAG carved into his back, why didn't the police become involved?

The wimpy kid was smarter than his detective cousin. Sending himself the letter bomb and shooting his cap, made it look as though he was also being targeted. The fall down the stairs made it look like Jozef was after the kid.

Payback, in this case, was hell. The seven parents, the school, nor the police put a stop to those seven. So the kid did what others wouldn't.

Others have feelings too.