Soulmate or Soldier, Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

What is it you really want, a Soulmate or just a Perfect Warrior?

 

                Chapter the Third

Where we experience a stereotypical adventurer’s first fight (because of course we do)

~~~~~~

It’s a weird sensation, not getting shit about my name (either one), and as they all give the requisite introductory platitudes, I take the chance to take a proper look at the tunnels. The upstream path looks easy to traverse, nice wide passage with a minimum of obstructions in the section I can see. Downstream looks rough and untamed... and has a dirty great grate in the way... that is lit up by my HUD just like all the other unfixed objects I’ve seen so far, so obviously there’s a hidden lock and it’ll turn out the way for us to follow that path.

“So, which of you knows the trick to that grate? It’s kinda obvious that that’s the way we’re ganna gan innnit, so we might as well be about it.” Should I stop being such a smart arse?... I should probably stop being such a smart arse... nah fuck it, its ages since I’ve had this much fun. “Should we lay a bit of a false trail? Drop some of these barrels upstream, break’em on the rocks?”

Häming laughs and smacks Iason on the shoulder, “you’re going to have a bit of fun with this one, and go for it Allie, you too Markys.” He tosses a barrel to each of us then squats down at the grate, digging around under the water on the other side of it. Lock must be some hidden spike, probably with a normal stone stuck on top.

“But... this is grunt work...” We’re going to have to break him out of this... prissiness(?)

“Yep, you’re in the army now.” The temptation is too great, and I just have to sing, “*Oh, oh you're in the army... now...* So suck it up, do you want to get caught?” I should probably tone down the pop-culture smeg too, ganna start sounding like a John Crichton level mentalist, end up dancing on tables and threatening peace conventions with nukes.

It’s fairly easy for us to make it look like we scarpered out quickly, leaving a few broken barrels near the chamber, and another pair at the corner where the path moves out of sight. Just as we finish up and start heading back to the others, there are squeaks and hisses from behind us. Markys scarpers, leaving me to turn and see a pair of (worryingly large) rats in the passageway, my HUD bordering them with a red glow. Woohoo way to be fucking stereotypical universe, fighting rats at the start of an adventure and all I’ve got is a long screwdriver and a pair of scissors...

As I reach down to pull them from my boots... something... flows through me... sort of like the disorientation when something breaks immersion in a game... only backwards... Two Targets- left is closer- snap a firm kick with left leg- left target pushed back- pull screwdriver from right boot- throw at right target- left target approaching again- step forwards- jump and stamp on left target- pull screwdriver from right target- stab repeatedly... WOAH... the fuck did that come from... just what did they do to me...

 “Well, at least we know you can fight Rats,” Aerilaya looks like they are either disgusted or amused, “although if you’re going to leave a mess like that every time, I might just rethink joining this group.” Right, Disgusted.

When we re-join the rest of the group, Häming has gotten the grate open and they are loading themselves up with bags and supplies. I take my share, still feels weird having all my old strength in this smaller body, seems like bulk more than weight is going to be my encumbrance limit.

“Hey Aerie, what’s that look for?” Häming actually looks amused, while Iason is focused on getting Markys ready to move out.

“...She fights like you eat.”

~~~~~~

The tunnel actually manages to be worse to follow than it looks, with pot holes hidden under the water, narrow slots that need us to pass the baggage through separately (so glad I’m not that fat bastard still), low roofs that we have to swim under (so, so glad Markys knows a waterproofing cantrip), moss and algae that make everthing slippery, side channels that create swirling vortices that throw us about, the fear of being followed keeping conversation to an absolute bare minimum, two medieval glowsticks our only source of light,  and instead of Iason's super cute bootay to look at, I’m stuck behind Häming and his middle age arse.

We eventually reach the point where the tunnel widens out and there’s the glow of light coming from further down the passage. A quick look at my phone (that has no signal) puts our trip at nearly 4 hours without a real break, which we finally get in a (mostly) dry hollow in a side tunnel. As Häming starts breaking out food, the rest of us settle down, Markys complaining over the exertion, Iason about neither of the (at this point, laughing) veterans warning him that full-plate was going to be a bad choice today and Aerilaya taking first watch outside our camp/hollow. I do the only sensible thing, given that it’s effectively 11pm for my body, and it was a school day before all this smeg started, and go to sleep.

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Short 'n' sweet

Podracer's picture

Allie seems a bit giddy, maybe a nap will settle her down a bit. Splashing down a dark dangerous tunnel needs a bit of attention to the job.

"Reach for the sun."

Or, you know,

At least a kick-rat one. (That is a joke.)