Snep's Day Out

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Universes & Series: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

After a hard winter and an early spring, the frayen of the palace stables are ready for a chance to get some fresh air and stretch their legs. Snep's rider has an idea for a destination.

Snep's Day Out

by Penny Lane


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



13th day of Femurin, Year 1176 since the Great Flood

A month before Spring Dawning

Life was good! Snep munched his feed with considerable contentment. Ever since his rider had returned, the atmosphere in the stables had improved immensely. Even the attitude of the other humans had been much better these last few moons.

It was a pity that she had not yet been able to ride him beyond the palace field. Snep understood that; for there had plainly been some kind of illness that had kept her away and it had taken many days for her to regain her fitness and strength. However, she had come to see him as soon as she had been able to and that was when the cloud had lifted from over the palace and those who lived inside it, as he did.

True, her first visit to the stables had been... strange. She had looked different, smelled different and even sounded different when she spoke to him that day. The intent behind the sounds had been the same, though, and she had provided the sweet treats that he had become accustomed to. Over the days since that first visit her voice and smell had gradually changed until he had become certain that she was, in fact, his rider returned once more. Life was good again!

A noise made him turn his head. It was the other one, the young one who had become mate to one of his rider's helpers, the one called Braskath. In his hand he had a frayen harness and that could only mean that he was about to be taken out for a ride. Would it be his rider? He ambled to the door and stuck his head over the top. Not yet, only the usual stable staff were about, providing food, cleaning up and generally doing all the familiar things that happened in stables.

"Ho, boy! Aye, your Mistress comes, she is just speaking to some of the other riders. Here, let me put your harness on you and then I'll go fetch your saddle."

Braskath settled the leather straps around his head and then ambled off to fetch the saddle. Before he could return a small crowd of humans came in through the main stable door. Snep perked up when he saw his rider among them. Good! It looked as if he really would be able to take her for a ride! He just hoped that it would be more than just a walk around the field, like last time.

He saw that the group was mostly does, all chattering away as the humans usually did. He had noticed that human does used their voices more than human bucks did, but this was perhaps to be expected. They were strange creatures, after all. They came towards him and his rider smiled as she saw his head poking over the gate.

"Snep! Good morning to you. Ready to go for a ride? We'll be able to go much further today, more than just a trot around the field."

Garia walked over to join him, her left hand rubbing his neck as the right dug out a treat for him. Braskath had already given him one, but why complain? He gave her his usual sniff, detecting a subtle change in her. Well, humans ate many odd things, perhaps it was something she had before coming to the stables. The odor was familiar, though, even though it was very faint.

"I wish I could come as well," Lanilla said wistfully. "I understand the reasons why but this will be your first big ride since... returning and I didn't want to miss anything."

"Well, I think Margra's right this time," Garia replied. "You're what, five months gone? Falling off is not impossible, even with our own frayen and the new-style saddles, and you don't want to risk your baby." She smiled at the maid. "Don't worry, I'm sure there will be many rides in your future, once your child is old enough to join the palace nursery."

"Thank you, Highness. It's just -"

"I know. We're only going to ride out to the college today, anyway, to have a look at the works. I don't think you'll be missing much, will she, ladies?"

The others all nodded and muttered agreement, with the exception of Eriana.

"With spring already advanced this year, it would be a pity to miss the journey, Garia. Should Lanilla not join us in a carriage today?"

Garia's nose wrinkled as she considered briefly, before shaking her head.

"Normally I'd agree, Eriana, but organizing a carriage and frayen takes a little while around here. I must apologize, Lanilla, but I should have thought of it earlier. I will admit, I'm missing the presence of Merizel, who usually remembers to arrange such things for me."

Lanilla lowered her head briefly in acceptance. "I understand, Highness. With a newborn of her own, and having given birth in Dekarran, her absence is sorely felt these last few days."

Braskath appeared with a saddle over his shoulder, followed by other stable hands with gear for the other riders.

"If you would permit, Highness."

"Of course."

As Braskath hoisted the saddle he turned and paused.

"Highness, does Mistress Jenet not ride with us today?"

Garia's smile was apologetic. "Ah, no, I'm afraid she... was, um, sick this morning and Margra has ordered her to rest today." At the look on the stable-hand's face she added with a smile, "It looks like she has caught the same thing your wife did, Braskath. Margra does not know of anyone this old having a first pregnancy, she may be the oldest in Palarand, but don't tell her that, she will be embarrassed."

"As you say, Highness! If you would give her and the Commander my best wishes."

"I'll certainly do that, Braskath. Right! Would that be my saddle back from Master Bowdran?"

"Aye, Highness. He says that the adjustments should make your ride more comfortable."

"Good, then let's get going!"

* * *

The group of riders, mostly women and surrounded by a mixture of Palace Guard and Blackstone armsmen, headed out through the palace gates and along the streets of the Old City. There were, as always, people on the sidewalks who recognised their Crown Princess as the party passed, giving rise to cheers and waves. Garia noted the variation in hairstyles and that many of the women were wearing new designs of attire. The party made their way through one of the city gates and set out along the road east towards Kendeven.

Snep understood the reasons why the palace frayen were kept in stables, especially during the winter months. After all, it was unpleasant to have to stand all day in a sodden field, cold and wet. However, he always seemed to feel better once he had come outside, whatever the weather. He sniffed the air with appreciation. This was the part of the year he liked best, as flowers appeared on trees and shoots began thrusting through the soil. The newly growing blades of grass seemed to taste sweeter right now, although that would not last, of course. Soon, the fields would be bursting with new life, with avians fluttering through the air and most creatures making ready for a new cycle of life.

Of course, some creatures did not follow the natural cycle of the year as frayen did, but that didn't just apply to humans. Dranakh, too, could bring forth young at all times of year though naturally most would ensure that their offspring arrived when the supply of food was at its best. Humans, though, seemed to give birth at any season but that was just another one of their mysteries. Right now, it seemed that many of those riders he was familiar with were either with foal or nursing young. Normally this group of riders would be larger.

A... contraption came along the highway towards them and Garia put a reassuring hand on his neck. The thing looked like a strange wagon but there was no beast pulling it. Instead it puffed and wheezed and belched smoke and steam into the air as it crawled along. Most of the frayen in the party had seen stranger things, though, so were not unduly upset by the noise and smell. He trusted his rider, if she was not concerned, then why should he be?

Eriana resumed a conversation begun in the Family Dining Room. "It has been decided that there is not enough space at Viridor so Sheldane will become the main base for the Federation Navy. It is from there that the two fleets will be managed, the Main Stores will be there and that is also where we will begin to train new seamen and sea-warriors, the Marines as you name them, once we begin properly recruiting."

Garia frowned. "Sheldane? Isn't that a bit like South Slip? What I mean is, is it flat and muddy? I haven't had a chance to visit over there yet."

Eriana nodded. "Aye, somewhat like. There are plans to make the naval port separate from the normal wharves, though. I am told they are to dig out a new harbor using something called a steam shovel, using the excess soil to raise the buildings well above flood level and enabling the port to be usable at all times of year."

Garia nodded. "Yes, of course. I know of Earth countries which have done similar things. What about your ships? Any progress?"

"Little as yet. The River Command fleet is of course fully provided, using both our own and requisitioned galleys taken from the Yodans. As always, manpower is a problem."

"Well, I hope that we can solve part of that once we get engines for the galleys. What about ship construction?"

"For the ocean, you mean?" Eriana sighed. "There are arguments concerning which design may be the best for such work. Some favor traditional craft, other seek to promote new designs in steel. Of course, whatever design is chosen will influence where they may be constructed and that makes political consequences I am ill-prepared to deal with. Perhaps, with your return, you might provide direction to this mess. As for me, I find the whole matter to be most irritating."

"Oh. I'll think about it. Perhaps we'd better change the subject, then."

Their route passed by mansions and villas, with larger and larger gaps appearing between the properties as they rode out from the city. It seemed to Garia that there were more buildings along the road than the last time they had been out to the University site. There were even some new workshops and warehouses and she frowned at that. Weren't they supposed to be using zoning here now? What happened to that? She turned to ask Merry to make a note and then remembered why Merry wasn't with them.

"Why the sigh, Garia?"

"Oh, I so miss Merry right now. I'm afraid that it's all going to dissolve into chaos around me without my faithful manager around."

"Aye, but she has concerns of her own now. What of Gullbrand? Does he not act in her place?"

"He's fine doing what he does, Eriana, but there are some things he finds difficult, just because he comes from somewhere else as you do. He doesn't have the technical knowledge that Merry does to know what I'm talking about half the time."

"What of Milsy? Can she not be of temporary help?"

Garia gave a short laugh. "Milsy? In some respects she is worse than me at organizing. Her mind is forever on new ideas and all the stuff I brought back with me isn't helping at all."

"As you say! I doubt there is a person in Alaesia who is not astonished by some of the things on those tablets of yours. They are certainly addictive to watch."

"Yes, well, that's part of why we are coming out to the University today. I want to talk to the masons about adding some kind of research department to the plans, somewhere where we can put all the things that come from Earth where they can be studied properly."

It did not take long before the party turned into the brand-new gateway of the construction site that would one day become the University of Palarand. As the weather was good enough the frayen were turned out into a paddock behind the Administration Block to graze while their riders went inside to do whatever they did in there. Snep bent his neck and began cropping the new shoots, savoring the taste of the fresh growth.

* * *

Snep lifted his head as the group of riders came into view. There didn't seem to be any urgency but he began to walk towards the fence, the other frayen following.

"Time for some more riding, Snep."

Garia had something different for him this time, a whole succulent salad leaf from their lunch, and he chewed it appreciatively. She reached out to stroke his neck and he sniffed her as he always did, correctly identifying the scent of every single thing that she had just eaten. However, that unusual smell was also there, very faint but recognizable, only today he could not place it. What could it be?

Garia opened the gate as Braskath appeared with the saddle. Soon, everybody was mounted and they were joined by several other frayen and riders, some of whom Snep recognized from their personal smells. He assumed that his rider had been busy doing whatever humans did with these new riders.

The augmented group set off and it was soon apparent that they were going to go around what his rider called a "campus", which seemed to Snep like a giant construction site spread over several fields. At several locations masons were shaping stone for foundations and structural support while carpenters were preparing timber beams to support the upper floors of the new buildings.

"That one will be one of the new accommodation blocks," Guildmaster Stannis said, pointing at a half-raised building, "while the furthest one will contain the lecture hall, Questor's quarters, workshops and college facilities. The other side of the courtyard will be another accommodation block and the block closest to us will be kitchens and bathing facilities as usual, but with the entrance arch between."

Garia nodded. "In many ways, then, what everybody will see will be similar to a conventional looking mansion layout only much larger. I think it will help if the layout is similar to what many are already used to."

"As you say, Highness. That was a factor in our thinking, but of course there are also practical elements, fire risk being the main one. If the mix of students does, as you expect, come to be balanced between young men and young women then of course the college can properly segregate them to separate sides of the courtyard."

Garia could tell that Stannis still couldn't entirely accept that so many females would be ending up in a place like this. Only time would show who would be right. She had another thought.

"The courtyard, Guildmaster. How did you intend it to be surfaced?"

"Why, Highness, I assumed that it would be as most other yards, coarse gravel below and then a mixture of fine gravel and sand to give a smooth surface. Do you tell me that some other surface is possible?"

"Well... you know that I'm only going by what happens on Earth, right? It occurred to me that once through the entrance arch you probably won't have very much wheeled traffic, will you? If anybody arrives by carriage, wagon or even cab, excuse me, by bac then they will most likely be dropped outside the gate so that the gatekeeper can ensure they are permitted to go inside the college."

Stannis nodded. "As you say, Highness. I had not thought what would happen once the college is in use."

"The other way someone would arrive is riding, just as we do today, and I'm guessing the stables are round behind the lecture hall, right?"

"Actually, Highness, the stables will be under the right-hand side accommodation, in the same location as it would be in a normal mansion. If the number of beasts proves too large, or if the accommodation must needs provide for greater numbers then, aye, we can expand behind the lecture hall as you say. Will that be a problem?"

"I wouldn't think so." Garia thought. "In many Earth colleges that central square would be called a quadrangle, or simply a Quad, and it would be grassed over with just a path running round the outside. Here I assume you would have cloisters because of the rains?"

"Aye, Highness, with a covered balcony overhead. Oh! I see." The group rode on while Stannis thought about this. "Aye, I understand now. If all traffic is kept beyond the buildings, the inside will be quieter and better for study, is that what you mean?"

"That's it exactly, Guildmaster! Keep the noise and fuss and interruptions away from both Questors and students and they can concentrate on what is important. Would that be a problem for you to fix?"

Stannis shook his head. "Indeed not, Highness. The internal arrangement of the stable is almost symmetrical, so that I can reverse the position of the doorway and the Tack Room and achieve your desire fairly simply. It will mean changes to the woodwork but I do not think many will complain."

"Well, I don't want you to think that this would be a change just because I asked for it, Guildmaster. I wouldn't suggest that you do something without a good enough reason for it, I can assure you."

"Your reasons seem amply sufficient, Highness. In addition, it relieves us of the need to dig out the... Quad, as you named it, and bring in wagonloads of sand and gravel to provide a surface. So, in one sense, you have just lessened the work which will be required."

Garia hadn't thought of that but wasn't going to tell the guildsman that. Instead she focused on a new feature that the riders had just reached.

"This path doesn't look as if it would take heavy wagon traffic, Guildmaster."

"This was your idea, Highness, don't you remember? You asked for an exercise track to run round the whole site. This is part of it. We have not yet laid a surface over the whole of the track, preferring to raise the buildings first."

"Oh, of course. Yes, you've done a good job with this."

The track was made from coarse river gravel mixed with soil that had been compacted and left to grow grass. Once this had been trimmed, possibly with the use of pakh, the resulting surface was soft enough to be comfortable for frayen while still solid enough not to turn to mud when the weather changed. Of course, during the rains nobody would be using it but that was fine. Even so, drainage had been provided in the form of small ditches either side, each barely two strides wide.

"Highness," Stannis explained as they walked on, "at the rear of the site we have done little more than peg out the site. Did you want to go the whole way around? If not, we can cut across through the orchard where I can show you something of interest that we have discovered."

Garia looked into the distance indicated and then glanced at Soomit who grinned.

"Highness, I remember the last time you came here," he said. "I trust you will not take too many risks today?"

Garia grinned back. "I'll behave but one of the reasons I came out here today was because I wanted Snep to have a bit of a run. The campus seemed like just the place for letting the frayen have some fun, they've been stuck in all winter."

"As you say, Highness. Just remember, the Prince will not be happy if you hurt yourself."

"What's this?" Stannis caught the byplay.

Soomit explained, "Guildmaster, when Her Highness and Lady Merizel were here previously, about a year ago, they enjoyed themselves racing their beasts among the trees yonder. I was just cautioning Her Highness that such activities might not be so wise any more."

"As you say!" He considered. "There is no reason we should not all exercise our beasts a little today though, do you all not agree? The weather is good enough, the grass is not too long. If Her Highness, ah, Princess Garia, were to set the pace, we could all follow at whatever speed we deem comfortable."

Garia looked at Eriana. "Have you galloped your frayen? I'll race you to the first fruit tree."

"Garia, I do not have the same connection with my beast as you have with yours but I believe he will do what I ask. Aye, it will do both our beasts and ourselves good to stretch ourselves after being bottled up all winter." She turned to look at their combined entourage. "Ladies? Just follow us as you will."

With that Eriana flicked her reins and dug her heels in, with the result that her mount took off like a startled pakh. Taken by surprise, Garia could only shout, "Go, Snep, go!" and set off in pursuit. The rest of the party followed in a ragged column.

Several things were immediately apparent to Garia as she hung onto the front rail. Firstly, although Eriana had a head start she wasn't making the sort of progress that Garia expected. This could either be because the Einnlander Princess was riding a pool frayen out of the stables and not her own matched beast, or more likely that she preferred a pitching deck to a pitching saddle and just didn't have enough recent riding practice.

The second thing that Garia noticed was that Snep hadn't taken off at his usual breakneck speed and that must have been because he knew his rider had also had less recent practice. This was fair enough, since Garia's body was not quite the same as last time and she was not yet as confident in her abilities as she once had been. Nevertheless, she was gaining on Eriana fairly rapidly and would catch her easily before they reached the first of the trees.

Snep reached the other frayen and slowed slightly until the two were running easily in a loping canter. Garia and Eriana exchanged glances and then Eriana pulled slightly ahead, giving her the nominal win. Instead of doing the crazy stuff that had happened on the previous occasion they slowed right down at the end of the row of trees and waited for the others to catch up. Both had smiles on their faces.

"By the Gods! I had forgotten how much fun this is!"

"I won't give you an argument on that point," Garia replied. "Last time I came here with Merry, about the same time last year, we had a lot of fun chasing each other around the trees. Snep had some fun ideas, too, hadn't you boy?"

She leaned forward and gave his neck a pat.

"Snep? What did he do?"

"Oh, only discovered that it was fun to aim me directly at a tree and change direction at the last moment," Garia said with a smile. "He was smart, though, he kept me in the saddle every time. I reckon he knows that I'm slightly different now, because he took it easy across that field. You wait until we've had some more practice! You wouldn't win then, he wouldn't let you."

Eriana raised an eyebrow. "He took it easy? Garia, it was all I could do to hang on! Do you tell me it is possible to go even faster?"

"It is, for short periods. We have done it sometimes just to get some stretch into our muscles."

Stannis had now joined them, along with all the others.

"Highness, Highness, that was a fine exhibition. I feared for your safety but it appears that your beasts knew better."

Garia replied, "The saddles make all the difference, Guildmaster. That and the fact that our beasts trust their riders." She looked around. "Where do you want us to go next?"

Stannis pointed. "Over there, Highness, is the other side of the exercise path. It will bring us to... well, you will see."

The party followed the path back in the direction of the Kendeven Road. Soon they could see three tents set up beside the path, which ended abruptly at some kind of excavation. Stannis carried on towards the tents and then dismounted. Two men came out from a tent and spoke to the guildsman as the others also climbed down.

"Highness," he said, speaking to Garia, "this was a scruffy corner of the site, covered by a rough mound, with straggly trees and untamed brush and shrubs concealing it. Our first thought was to clear the trees, to make the area presentable. When the exercise path was added to the plan I decided to set some men to make sure a smooth way led across the mound.

"As they were digging, they uncovered dressed stone and, as they went deeper, realized that it was of Chivan construction. At that point the new rules were triggered and a party from the new Antiquities Department was asked to oversee the investigation. If you would come and see what they have found."

What Garia found was an immense rectangular stone-lined hole in the ground, about the same size as an Olympic swimming pool. The resemblance was strengthened by the fact that the hole was partly filled with water.

"What is it?" she asked. "Some kind of tank?"

"Not at all, Highness. The water is there because this was excavated last fall and it has filled with rain and snow over the winter. When it was found it was completely filled with soil and garbage. The water is only there because it may not escape through the walls into the soil, therefore I deem this chamber was originally watertight and still is today."

"How deep is that water, then?"

"About a stride or so, Highness, which makes the whole chamber between four and five strides high."

"Oh. A good-sized chamber, then. Find anything of interest?"

"Almost nothing, Highness. The reason we know it is Chivan is by inscriptions carved on the walls - by better masons than those of today, certainly." He added, "What you cannot see by reason of the water is that there are the stumps of three rows of columns along the floor. We think this chamber would have been vaulted, in the manner of a cellar, with another level at least above ground."

"Ah, I see. Of course, you don't normally build below ground around here, do you? There's no point when it would just fill up with water whenever the rains came."

"As you say, Highness. It seems that this slight mound is enough to raise it above the normal flood levels and allow any water to drain away from the buildings. If you would come this way."

At the end of the hole and separated from it by the end wall was a staircase of stone that went down into the ground.

"That's how they got into it, then."

"Indeed, Highness, but the stair divides halfway, one part descending into the chamber to our right and the other to an identical chamber to our left, which still retains the chamber roof."

"Really?" Garia looked at the mound but little was visible. "You're going to tell me that it was full of Chivan treasure."

Stannis smiled. "I wish that were true, Highness. We have so far found, I have been told, some fragments of pottery, together with some agricultural relics of a more recent age, but that is all. Most of that chamber was also filled with soil, presumably washed in down the stairway over the centuries. Much of it is still there."

Garia concentrated, thinking. If these ruins were, indeed, the relics of a Chivan structure then it must have been a fairly big building. During her return to Earth she had done a little reading up on Roman remains, so the presence of this structure implied that there there was likely more to find in the surrounding area.

"Is it safe to go stand on top of that part?"

"Why, yes, I would think so, Highness. But why?"

Garia had already moved to reach the vantage point. Eriana, after a brief thought, went with her while the others remained near the staircase, wondering what had triggered Garia's movements.

"What do you seek, Garia?"

"It's like this, Eriana. I did some reading about the Romans while I was back on Earth. It is likely that whatever this was, that we are standing on, it wasn't an isolated structure. There would have been other buildings around it, just like you would never find only one side of a Palarandi mansion. Do you get me?"

"You seek traces in the soil, then?" Eriana's keen gaze surveyed their surroundings. "I see little evidence, Garia. Is there something we should be looking for?"

"Yes, but it would probably be very faint, especially at this time of year." At Eriana's unspoken question she explained, "If there are walls below the soil the grass would not grow so well. You'd see the difference better when the weather has been dry for a while because the grass over the walls would dry out faster." She pointed. "Over there. Is that a line in the grass?"

"It could be."

The two Princesses rejoined their party and Garia explained.

"There are likely to be other buildings around this one, Guildmaster. Possibly the stonework has all been robbed out to make other buildings over the centuries, or maybe it is all just below the surface. The only way you, or rather the Antiquities Department, will find out is by carefully removing all the grass and the topsoil, looking for discolorations in the surface. I'm sorry, this might cause some delay to work over this side of the campus."

"Indeed? We will consider your words most carefully, Highness. As it happens this particular area was not destined to have buildings close by, only the exercise path."

"If that is so then I have another thought for you, Guildmaster, one you'll have to think about very carefully. Remember I came here looking for somewhere to put a research building? This could be the right place. How would you feel about reconstructing that other chamber, vaulted roof and all, and then constructing upper stories on it to house the research department? If they are indeed watertight, those basement chambers would be just the place to store valuable items like those I brought back."

"An interesting idea, Highness. If I may take time to consider? There is the problem of the vaulted roof, certainly. We do not have the experience making such features in stone the way the Chivans did."

"Well, this time you got lucky since there is a whole other chamber you can use to figure out how they did it. The top is even exposed in a few places so you can see how they placed the blocks." She shrugged. "If that proves too hard I wouldn't object to the sort of vaults you know how to do, or you could even try casting in concrete. Few people are likely to see what is down there and object."

Stannis nodded. "Highness, I will find masons to examine the intact chamber, once it has been cleared of soil." He pulled a face. "I am less sure of our abilities with concrete than I am with Chivan vaults but we may not make such a decision yet. Let us see what we may discover first."

"That's fine, Stannis. And," she added, "because this is my idea Blackstone will be paying for all work on this part of the site from now on, and that includes whatever the Antiquities people need to do first."

Stannis bowed. "You are gracious, Highness. We know you already contribute to the University site together with His Majesty and the Institute, but this will make a difference to the speed of the work done. I will call at the palace from time to time to keep you informed of progress."

"Thank you, Stannis. Shall we return to the Admin block and leave your men in peace?"

"On the contrary, Highness. Whenever you visit, you always leave us with new knowledge and insights. Today has been no different. But, aye, we should return to the main building. It will soon be time for you to return to the palace for lunch, I deem."

"How are the new electric clocks behaving?"

"They are excellent, Highness. We now conduct our labors by the twenty-four hour system, the men say that they seem fresher and able to get more done than they did by the bell system."

"Well, I'm sorry to break an existing custom, Stannis. It just seemed to me that the other way might have advantages in the future. I didn't think people would be so enthusiastic quite so soon."

Braskath had held the leading reins of the frayen loosely so most were taking the opportunity to top up with some extra grazing. The feed they got in the stables was good enough but little could beat fresh grass, especially at this time of year. Snep looked up as his rider approached.

"Back to the main building, boy, and then home to the palace. Enjoyed your day out?"

He didn't understand most of the words but the intent was fairly plain. He nuzzled her arm and then turned to look at his saddle.

"Okay, boy, I get the message. We've stood around here long enough, I guess. Let's get going."

* * *

The riders dismounted outside the stables and then led their mounts in one by one. Snep led Garia to his stall and waited for her to undo the girth strap before sinking to his knees so that she could lift his saddle off. She handed it to a waiting stable hand as he rose and she immediately began brushing him down.

There was that scent again! So long after his rider had fed, it couldn't be anything to do with her last meal, although certain smells were known to linger. He puzzled over the fact that he couldn't identify a scent that he definitely knew.

"How was your ride?"

"Keren!" Garia put down the brush and went to the gate to give her husband a kiss. "We had a fine time, thank you. I think I've found a site for the research building. How about your meeting? How did that go?"

His expression was rueful. "Sometimes - just occasionally, mind - sometimes, I wonder how peaceful a life I would have had if you had not come to Anmar. Of course, there are many things I would not have had, including a beautiful wife, but mayhap life might have been much simpler. Mariswin still has problems with the Federation, despite almost everyone else having signed on. Oh, and we have just received the results of the Yodan General Election by semaphore from Ferenis. It seems that there are no clear winners, if I may use that term, and sentiment seems to be against joining the Federation just yet." He shrugged. "At least they now have their destiny in their own hands, I deem, which they did not have before."

"Give them time, Keren. It must all seem very strange to them after what they endured."

Garia finished her tasks with Snep and left him with a feed bag where he could reach it. Keren looked on indulgently as she said a few last words.

"There, boy. Perhaps we'll manage to get out again tomorrow, assuming something doesn't happen to waylay me."

She reached out to give his neck a big hug before leaving him.

There it was again, and much stronger this time! He snuffled and turned in her grip to look at her mate. It was plain, now he though about it, and the scent should have been easy to identify, especially with his rider's other helper, Lanilla, now standing outside his stall with her own mate.

His rider was in foal! The cycle of life would continue, as it should. Life was indeed good!

up
287 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enjoy

Just a little snippet for everyone to enjoy while I hack my way through Real Life.

This is set a year after Garia's last visit to the University site and about two and a half months after her return from Earth.

Penny

Very lovely story.

I am guessing that Snep's little buck stayed in Blackstone.

Thinking about the gaps that eventually need filling.

What did Gary do (gather) on Earth? (I like the Desert Storm approach, vast overkill is just right. Besides, a vast library would primarily serve as a specialty reference until it was copied and released [that's some years down the road].)

On Earth: Gary's story isn't known. WHAT IF, Gary took advantage of chaplain services at the hospital (a volunteer service) to learn Latin, Greek, and Hebrew?

Gary later goes to the UK (university of Kansas) and finds a nearby used textbook reseller. He strikes a deal where for a modest price can copy all the textbook's electronic versions. He also gets in contact with some professors who are interested in what a group of students could come up with to achieve Gary's/Garia's goals in Anmar. They want to setup a special topic class with basic funding from Gary and some grants would be applied for.

Penny this is just a rough idea for bringing max info back. I understand that the library will take years to copy. Some things wiil have to wait years before implementing.

Please let me know if you'd like me to expand on this.

Thank you

Thanks for giving us this new tidbit to nibble on. I hope is is a precursor to more tales of Anmar to come.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Hurray for Snep!

terrynaut's picture

I'm so happy! I love frayen and I especially love Snep.

I haven't even read this story yet and I'm already excited. I'm sure it's great so I'm leaving a comment and giving it kudos now.

Thanks and kudos (number 15).

- Terry

Hurray for Garia!

terrynaut's picture

I figured out what Snep was smelling a little less than halfway through the story. What a happy time!

Thanks once again for a wonderful story universe.

- Terry

At your service

I'm glad you liked it, I somehow thought you would!

Aye, I was tickled that Snep would be the first to figure out what was happening!

Penny

Was that a

Traction Engine? I suppose that's one way to solve the problem of lack of beasts

Steam contraption

The actual vehicle was obviously left to the reader's imagination, but I suspect that it would be more like a 'steam wagon' than some kind of engine. These are early days yet; they are still attempting to discover how best to combine a steam engine with a set of wagon wheels in a useful way.

Incidentally, I have seen Sentinel Steam Wagons in my past but the Anmar examples would be way more primitive than that.

Penny

I was figuring

Either that or a separate traction engine pulling a standard wagon, a traction engine is similar to what they will have with locomotives, which is why i thought of that first. A throttle wouldn't be too difficult, it basically would be a modification of the valve between the boiler and the "movement" come to think of it, the model steam engine the guilds sent to Blackstone has the technical aspects to do it, provided that its fixed rear wheel drive,

I now wonder how they intend to move the steam shovel they want to use in Sheldane, yes they could mount it on a barge, but some of that work is easier if you can have it on the ground, without a tread/track drive, that isn't happening. The fact that the vehicle is belching smoke says to me that they have a long way to go on their firebox technology, it would be primitive, but I imagine that they would made them capable of taking the road between Tranidor and Blackstone, if not this iteration, the next one, such contraptions are most useful where fuel is readily available. The vehicle is to address the issue of Dranakh prices after all, so you want it to primarily be used where it will have the greatest effect, and that is the first major stretch of the coal route

Delightful

I so do love this series, especially the fact that you took the fanservice route for the Snep fans!

An unexpected difficulty

Hi all,

I don't really know where, in the Appendices, to post the URL for this snippet, this brief moment in the spotlight which has yet passed on so much information.

Maybe I should open a new title page and give it a name, posting the URL there in a list of URLs which point to any other such snippets any of you might write. That way we would get a good few glimpses of progress made as Palarand develops, the spotlight pointing here and there as the snippets unfold.

Hmmm ... *thinks* ... how about: "The Dancing Spotlight"? Or, maybe, "Snippets and Stand-Alones" ???

Or do any of you have a suggestion as to what to call the new directory?

I'll leave it a couple of days to give you time to get your suggestions in.

Joolz.

Snippets and Scenes

That's my suggestion.

This particular story was just a little bit of fun and was posted co-incidentally at about the right time of year. I have other ideas for shorts and maybe novellas, but not many. In general my aim is for longer stories, though I doubt we'll be seeing any more 143-chapter monsters!

Thank you again for all your amazing behind-the-scenes work.

Penny

2 and a half months after her return

Ok so one activity post arrival is unsurprising, though all the female characters at the same time, except for Merry who i am guessing stayed at Dekarran on the RP's return trip from Blackstone and that happened then.. but already pulling wagons with traction engines (or as the name evolved on Earth "tractors" at least on certain roads, i am impressed. The ocean force should be steel ships, though with heavily galvanised or stainless propellers, not side wheels, provided electrical power is run throughout the ship it will be easier to repair in situ, and when it's time to decommission and send them to the breaker yards you get more useful material recovered, and that's all before the tactical advantages like hull strength and weight capacity and resulting implications

Besides Eriana's going to want to be able to load and offload supplies and landing craft on her ships, she's going to be commanding the ships, she should influence their design.

Merry & Eriana

Merry may have returned to Dekarran from the Palace to have the baby as well.

Eriana needs instruction in more modern hull design (ref for marine engeneering), naval tactics, "bullet sponge" operations, and naval special warfare (SEALS, SBS). This barely scratches the surface. Oh yeah, "tons" military historical movies, programs, and u-tube videos. Books (digital) on military history.

Even if she had all of this AND knew the written
languages, it's too much.

Eriana

Has a mind for warfare, she knows how not to play fair, the main thing she needs to recognize is politics be damned the ship designs are going to have a profound effect on her tactical options, she's the highest ranking naval officer, at least for the ocean fleet, she needs to put her foot down and have her ships built to be upgraded later on. Wood is fine for immediate defense and training purposes, but for long term, she needs them made of steel.

Bullet sponges

Are to be avoided whenever possible, there wasn't another feasible option in Operation Overlord, as paratroopers alone wouldn't cut it,

Bullet sponges

I have only known that term used for marines.

During Op Overlord the USN was first on the beaches.

Gee thanks

Gee thanks! Here I thought that my job in the Army was artillery magnet with a 9 to 12 second life expectancy.

Machine guns are better at

Machine guns are better at taking out infantry and a very good reason why such tactics should be avoided, when there is an option to do so, it isn't always an option, like when a target location is extremely well defended but not looking for said options is one of the stupidest things one can do

On the matter of ships

And political consequences as to where they may be built, the smaller ships and some of the support craft could be made out of wood, it's not like a single ship design will be ideal for all jobs throughout the fleet, they will all need steam engines, both due to manpower and due to the tactical advantages they bring, if they are in the situation where they have problems building enough ships, the steel designs could protect the naturally softer wooden ships

Depends on the ships role

For now, littoral/river combat ships can still be wood, with their shallower drafts, like you say. But things will change rapidly now with increasing steel production. I would not think that the railroad is yet built so I would think steel will still be at a bit of a premium.

Yup

Of course there's the issue of refits and bulkheads, the latter of which is not easy to do with wood, the bigger issue is that ocean combat has very significant differences to river combat, regardless of the ships you use (which is why they need to be designed differently regardless of the material used) on a river the path anyone may take is predetermined, more or less, on the ocean, this is not the case, there is also the problem of away from the shore fish tend to be deeper down, so they will need supply ships to carry food and fuel, these can be wood or steel, the main features will be maybe speed, and the ability to transport perishables, their escorts can be wood as well, a well planned route should reduce the likelihood of an engagement and being largely between home and the combat zone will reduce the scale of most encounters anyways.

One of the big things for all

One of the big things for all the ships is that they will have to plan out and over build ship internal infrastructure, because of refits, the fact that they will have to serve as homes for the sailors for months at a time, and to account for potential damage. They are going to want to keep the ships in service for as long as practical, and keep it practical for as long as possible.

Designing them modularly will help, and they could plan to convert the wood ships to transport purposes as steel and steel ships become available the trick is that they are essentially building a fleet from scratch, they need the ships soon and they need them to last, but they also have the political and strategic issue of what can be built where.

Ship design

Combat; cutter, destroyer, LST, cruiser. Get detailed hull & interior specs with propeller +shaft for 3 most recent one of each class.

US WWII fleet sub blueprints.

Freighters get blueprints

Fishing boats get blueprints

Tugs & Barges get blueprints.

Include a steam powered in each class & category, if available.

The do not need submarines at

The do not need submarines at this point, and they don't need to copy US designs, a description of roles and requirements will be fine

Propeller design is just as much manufacturing ability as it is calculating the efficiency

Fleet sub

1 concept for illustration, diesel electric drive.

Much later-- tens of years, if they build it, they'll learn the need for air replenishment and about air "scrubbing"
This helps them get into space.

Besides, Gary got one shot at this. Vast overkill is just the right amount of force (information in this case).

Barges make good work platforms too.

yes

however, this would be one of the many things that the Council of the Two Worlds will archive for a later date, there is such a thing as technology society isn't ready for, Earth learned that the hard way with the development of nuclear fission, and by extension fission induced fusion, we got lucky that no political leader was stupid enough to trigger Mutually Assured Destruction,but that doesn't change the fact that we weren't ready, The engineers can design barges and such on their own, though pictures with the average height human for comparison of a "super freighter" would be useful, if only to drive home the point that there is no such thing as a canal that's too big, and that many vessels will be accurately described as floating cities

For shallow waters and river use,

jet drive would be more versatile than propellers (unless the prop is above the water line (air boat).

ease of manufacture is an

ease of manufacture is an issue, and hydrofoils use up a LOT of energy, their main advantage is speed so their versatility is debatable, they aren't great at long distance, they can only carry so much per hp, they are noisy, the sirrel is a mega river, I don't know if its as wide and deep as the locks at the Pannama Canal, but most ships should be able to transverse it for a time, for shallow waters you use a smaller boat and a prop, from a military aspect, the only boats that will have to go shallow are landing craft, as for rivers, not only are there paddle wheels for heavier loads but rivers in general are easier to defend, you have a natural bottle neck, if you expect an attack, not only can you position your ships to ambush, but you can easily plant mines and set up fortified artillery in such a way the point of engagement is more or less your (the defender's) choosing, this is why the fortress Eriana and the PER took from Yod was so important, it is a perfect example of where fortified artillery can completely deny river access, at least from one direction, with ocean conflict, to accomplish similar you either have to cover a much wider area or have a good estimation of enemy fleet capabilities, values and limitations, to determine the strategic points to focus on.

An Unexpected Gift

Thank you. I've always been curious about Garia's return and the time shortly after including how she had changed both physically and mentally, and how she and Keren re-established their relationship.

A welcome Sneppit

I hope she does not get overextended with so much drain on her treasury.

One must wonder if that Garian Institute in modern day Palarand is still financed through Blackstone.

Ah I see that Garia and Keren had erm 'overindulged' since she came back. The timing seems right ^_^

Thanks Penny for this little

Thanks Penny for this little "outside the main stream" story snippet.
I have always wished that somehow a picture of Snep could be found so we could all see how he and the other frayen look. However, the word picture description is also great.
I have also been hoping that we would once more be honored with the continuation of Garia's story; what she looked like when she returned from Earth, how Keren took her new look, and what exactly she brought back with her from Earth this time.
Running into steam crawlers already, is certainly showing how rapidly things are progressing on Anmar, especially within Palarand.

New look?

Well that is a good question I think. This Garia Rev. 2.0 would be a great opportunity to 'optimize' her a little further. While it is nice to be a formidable little hellion, size does matter so tweeking her to allow her to reach even 170 cm or so would be nice. Olympic level strength and endurance would be good. Faster reflexes too. Improved disease resistence.

No silly superhuman stuff of course.

This would optimize her chances of survival as well as be a good reward for a very difficult job.

Changes

Well Garia is well known and recognized already, so the only changes that would be sensible are height, as it is known she is of age to still be growing when she left, a tweek to natural muscle level and stamina, not Olympic level, there is no need for that, above average sure, but remember, Garia already has to struggle to remove the idea of her being "super human" from people's heads, I am guessing disease resistance is part of the first generation transfer, making it easier to readjust for martial arts but keeping her shorter than Keren, would be ideal.

Garia's new look

Naturally, to develop some of the ideas in SEE required a certain amount or research. Among other items it turned up the fact that DNA isn't an exact blueprint of how the resultant body should look but more a set of rules and guidelines.

Of course, considering the complexity of our bodies it has to be almost exactly right; but we all know that many infants suffer developmental problems in the womb and shortly afterwards, due to mistakes in DNA interpretation and outside interference. This is, after all, how almost everyone on this site came to be here.

I have, as yet, only a vague idea how the hmm, how do I put this? Gary Mk 4? Garia Mk 2? will look when she arrives. I think she's likely to be a little taller, maybe even the two inches she wanted before. That sounds like a small difference but it will contribute to the extra time that it has taken her to become fit again since her balance will be off compared to her previous bodies.

I would imagine that she will look very similar to the previous version but maybe a little more beautiful, perhaps. If she looked too different that would put everybody off. The Uncanny Valley, anyone? Suffice it to say that she is accepted and loved by everybody and Keren has obviously been paying her sufficient attention ^_-

Penny

Sure

Epigenetics can be a bitch. Quantum effects which still have not been fully corrected for, though it is fortunate the VMBs made sure she became female again. I would suspect that since Heisenberg rules, and since they had to lock down certainty, gender-wise, other changes might have more room for variance.

Lingerie which brought may not fit

Lingerie which she brought may not fit if she changed sizes. Oops, someone else benefits. LOL

Lingerie brought to Anmar

The items Garia brought back with her were never intended to fit her. Rather, they are to be considered as engineering examples.

Garia would never have been able to measure herself Earth-style on Anmar since she would not have a suitable tape measure - and may not even know how women are measured on Earth until she returned, by which time it is too late. Once on Earth he may have been able to roughly estimate what size her body on Anmar was but all he would really have been aiming for was ball-park.

All those samples were intended to do were to show what could be achieved in time and to demonstrate certain manufacturing techniques. The Anmarians will doubtless find their own answers and of course their fashions and styles will develop in different ways than on Earth.

Penny

Steam crawlers

An innovation of necessity and likely a byproduct of rail or rather locomotive experiments, and we technically don't know if that's a crawler Snep sees as no description of it's drive system is made, if it was a track drive (continuous track) then yes it would be a crawler, if its wheeled, then it isn't the fact that it is in use so soon after the snow cleared, and the fact they intend to use steam shovels in Sheldane is an indication it might be a crawler, what we DO know is that it's firebox isn't completely burning the coal, and it is either pulling a wagon, or depending on how reliable you want to consider Snep's POV, has a bed to accept a wagon size container, however this is apparently a road vehicle (off road abilities unknown) and that means it has to be able to make most turns.

What's interesting about Sheldane is if they were to build a rail bridge to cross the Palar at Dekarran, because it will be a while before they can consider crossing the Sirrel there, Sheldane would be the best place for the rail to cross the Sirrel to reach Central Paraland and Brikant, because of a large outcropping in the river there that means they can have 2 smaller bridges separated by solid ground instead of one big one, come to think of it, provided the locks to do it, there's a wide oxbow lake between Sheldane and Brikant that would strategically be almost perfect for a naval shipyard, provided of course a certain Duke's son can change his outlook.

Thank you!

Thank you for Snep's Day Out, it was good to see Garia again and see the incremental changes being made in the world. But, honestly the best part was finding out Garia is pregnant but I am left wondering if she actually knows it yet - but Snep does!

Thank you for sharing your world.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

The way I read it

It seemed to me from the way they spoke to each other that Garia knows and has told Lanilla and Keren, but it is not yet public knowledge.

On second thought

Doing a quick reread, I'm not so sure I was reading the subtext correctly. All the hints I thought I was picking up in could easily just be referring to Garia's still relatively recent return from Earth...

Lets see

Saddle adjustments, Soomit (I can't remember if he is a guardsman, questor or guildman) telling Garia "I trust you will not take too many risks today?" says that he knows, WoG (Penny) tells us that this is about 2.5 months after her return, she should be readjusted to the new body by now, so they both know, Stannis's response to being told about what Garia and Merry did last time they were at the site, and that such activities would no longer be wise, combined with Garia's status, the fact that rumor spreads fast throughout the Palace, and her pregnancy is a matter of state that being legitimate there is no reason to hide, I have every reason to expect that it is public knowledge. Garia just isn't showing the more debilitating symptoms at this point.

On a related note, I interpreted Michet as being younger by about 5 years or so than Jenet...

Political concerns

The main political concern about building the ships out of steel I see is that people are used to the idea of providing their own defense, it also effects jobs and such, but with guns, evolving tactics, new technology and the fact that steel ships are already commercially available albeit on a limited basis, there really isn't a choice other than how they go about it, they can of course commission a number of wooden ships for immediate defense and training purposes, the design of which could be similar to larger steel counterparts. They will have to be built near the mouth of the Sirrel anyways at least the main combat vessels will be, potential size requirements make building them along the river prohibitive, and you want the shipyards to be easily dependable so putting them at your farthest reaches is a no go.

Snep's view

Great to have an update of Garia's return. I was really hoping to see this saga continue.

Dawn

Treat

To have another snip of Garia's adventures. I truly have been captivated over the writing of this story combining so many aspects of a different society with such delightful storytelling. I think it rivals many of the older SF author's stories I loved from Clarke, Heinlein, and Asimov.

Yod election

Problem of being a new democracy like Yod would be a vulnerability to rabble rousers like Drumpf who is as usual merely in it for themselves.

seems kind of quick to go

seems kind of quick to go from not wanting to introduce guns to planning for naval warfare who are they planning on having to defend against or are they assuming that there are more people on anmar that they don't know about yet that may not be friendly

Thank you Penny

Kathy Leigh's picture

It is wonderful to see more stories about Garia and the changes coming to the kingdom.

I hope this is the first of a long line of new installments.

Hugs,

Kathy Leigh

Form of address

Interesting that at no time did Stannis address Garia as guildmistress. Granted she was on an inspection tour but there is quite a bit of it that would be considered guild business.

My guess is

Unless specifically related to another title, in the case of multiple titles, they are going to use the form that represents the highest rank, in general.

Also she is there more on questor business and crown business if you think about it

I

Have finally caught up! It would be interest for our former boy to explore her feelings of being pregnant.

Torture

This is torture to hint at the things that happened without the full story of Garias return and Kerens adventure.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Really nice

Jamie Lee's picture

The frayen were always a lot smarter than they were given credit before Garia came to Palarand. But Garia's treatment of Snep showed them to be much more than dangerous animals.

Others have feelings too.

The waiting

We are missing the best part Garia’s return are we ever going to get that part.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna