Walburton's Wonderful Whirlds of Whee! or Miracles Can Happen!

Printer-friendly version

----- Present day, RV behind Walburton's Wonderful Whirlds of Whee rides area, Lake County Fair, Eustis, Florida -----

Phineas Terrance Walburton III, the craggy faced, tall, lean 78 year old owner of Walburton's Wonderfuls Whirlds of Whee looked around at the people crowded in his Winnebago Spirit RV. His face showed the effects of stress, fatigue and the possible loss of all he held dear.

"We're in bad shape, folks," he stated, "Right now, we owe over $26,000 in unpaid dues and fees for our rides. If we don't pay at least $9,000 of that within the next two weeks, I'll be forced to put Walburton's Wonderful Whirlds of Whee into bankruptcy. I'd like to avoid that."

Piper VandeBeer, one of the two merry-go-round operators, looked up at her boss, "How did we end up in this situation, Phin?"

"Sheer rotten luck, Piper, we had to repair the ferris wheel, the pirate ship and the twin merry-go-rounds after that accident last fall when that speeding high-flying dimwit ran into two of our trucks while trying to escape from a bunch of police cars that were chasing him. The trailers took some damage but several parts of the ferris wheel, the ship and the merry-go-rounds were damaged badly enough they had to be replaced. Those parts ended up costing us about $37,000 including shipping costs and it took three months to get the rides back up to specs.

"We were able to cover those costs, but we haven't brought in any money since then and our winter lease arrangements ended in November. I was covering the rental costs, but when the lease expired, the guy started charging us more, and our credit cards were overextended. The credit card companies have been on my butt since early January, and I got the letter yesterday that we have to pay up fast or..." he shrugged.

Janice Winterbottom, one of the ferris wheel operators, shook her head and sighed, "Damn, it sounds like we need a miracle right now, boss!"

"Yes, Janice, that is a pretty good way to describe it. I don't have a clue as to where we might find that money."

Clarke Horton, the Tilt-A-Whirl operator, growled, "What about if we all pony up some cash, could we cover the $9,000 payment at all?"

This led to several minutes of discussion, with the end result being that they could cover maybe a third of that payment from personal funds.

"Nice suggestion, Clarke," Phineas stated, "But if we did that, those of us with any cash now would be in even rougher shape."

Phineas turned and began pacing, a few step one way, turn, a few steps the other way, turn, back and forth, lost in thought.

----- June 23, 1974 at a truck stop somewhere in Texas -----

"Harry, I hate to say this, but it's time for us to part ways, Walburton's Wonderful Whirlds of Whee needs to find its own events for a while."

"Why, Phineas?" Harold Banfield asked. "Our two families have worked the roads together since 1907 when your grandfather and my great-grandfather started the business as a joint partnership. It's worked for all these years, what makes it different now than before, Phineas?"

"The fact that three of the last six places we've worked wouldn't give us permits for our rides, Harry, that means we don't earn anything. I'm not sure why the heck you keep failing to check whether the places allow carnie rides or not, but it's making it damn hard for me and my folks to keep going. I have over a dozen rides, all good for bringing in people and cash, and we haven't been able to use them much lately, Harry."

"Give me another chance, Phineas, we can work this out as a team like we've always done."

"I'm truly sorry, Harry," replied Phineas, "But this has been happening for the last three years, I can't afford to lose any more business."

With that remark thrown over his shoulder as he turned and started walking toward his first motor home, Phineas set out on his new path.

----- Back to present day, RV behind Walburton's Wonderful Whirlds of Whee rides area, Lake County Fair, Eustis, Florida -----

Phineas stopped his pacing and every person's head in the RV swivelled toward the door as a knock sounded on it.

Phineas waved to Janice who was standing closest to the door, she opened it, letting in a man about forty or so years of age.

"Hello, old Phineas, I haven't seen you since I was seven. I hear you're having financial problems, I think I can help," stated Jack Banfield.

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Looking foward

Samantha Heart's picture

To the tie in of this story.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Renewal of the partnership?

The circle is closing. What acts does the young Banfield have?

Re: Renewal of the partnership?

Yes, Jack Birchland offered Phineas the chance to join with Birchland Carnivals and renew the old partnership.

Whoops, when I put Harry Banfield in there, I meant to put Birchland, it was an honest mistake. It's been fixed.