Kaiser's X Blessing - Book 1 - 07 - Reflections III

Printer-friendly version

Reflections – III

Not all Artifacts were the same.

Some were weapons and some were not.

Within this separation, they were classified into classes and types.

For example, there are Artifacts that fall into the Ruler Class.

Then there are those that fall into the Celestial Class.

Others belong to the Pantheon Class.

Within a class, they are further distinguished by types, and sometimes the classifications become messy. One example of this are the Valkyries.

Officially they belong to the Pantheon Class, and referred to as the type, Valkyrie. But within this type are subtypes such as Brynhildr, Sigrún, and Gunnr. As a result, they are frequently called Valkyrie Class, Type Brynhildr, or Valkyrie Class, Type Gunnr.

I guess it’s not that much of a big deal, but it can be a little confusing at time when there are dozens upon dozens of different Artifact types and subtypes within a single class.

I will mention that my Artifact fell into the Ruler Class, which I felt was pretty cool.

So how does combat between weapon type Artifacts and Fragments work out?

To begin with, all combat types are able to manifest a variety of different effect-fields.

Effect fields that shield them are called Aegis-fields, and they serve as flexible barriers.

Piercer-fields or Gram-fields act as the knives, swords, or other sharp implements with one purpose only and that is to cut through armor and flesh.

Hecaton-fields are effect-fields used to manipulate objects and move them about. They can also be used to strengthen a Familiar’s body.
Icarus-fields are considered part of the mobility class of effect-field. They are named as such because they give wings to a Familiar, allowing them to jump high, run fast, and move about with eye tricking speed.

Each Artifact or Fragment also possesses a form of body armor called the Skin-Regalia.

The Regalia bodysuit is composed of a gel like material that can harden and soften in an instant. It acts as protective armor, but it also enhances a Familiars strength several fold, and guards their body from the detrimental effects of abrupt acceleration, deceleration, and physical impacts. Without it, a Familiar’s body would be unable to cope with the incredible stresses placed upon it when in combat with another Familiar. Clad in their Artifact’s Skin-Regalia, a Familiar can run for miles without breaking sweat, or toss a cargo container onto its side as though it were no heavier than a baby carriage.

This ensemble of effect-fields, body armor, and other bits and pieces I haven’t mentioned yet, complements the combat abilities of an Artifact, elevating it well beyond the level of any manmade personal weapon system.

A single Valkyrie Maiden operated by an experienced Meister can hold its own against an airwing of airborne power armored troops.

A Familiar with a Talos Artifact can pound a company of heavy tanks into scrap metal.

And a Celestial Seraphim can rip through the armor of an interstellar destroyer and tear it up from the inside.

However, despite their destructive abilities, Artifacts are not weapons of mass destruction.

That is, they are tactical weapons and not strategic weapons.

And though it is best left to an Artifact to confront another Artifact in combat, that doesn’t mean that they cannot be engaged by conventional manmade weaponry, but it does mean that it’s a lot harder to stop an Artifact with a tank battalion, drone air-wing, or interstellar warship.

That’s why Familiars are trained to fight other Familiars.

And protecting people from rogue Familiars is the reason why the Sanctum and Public Security came to exist.

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos