Never Pull on the tail of a Wolf (revised) Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Gina wakes up early and looks up at the ceiling above her head. It had been painted like the sky with birds flying in it. She could feel Cadmus curled up next to her legs. The quilt covering her young body had butterflies and puppies on it. Gina slowly moves and try to get out of bed without waking Cadmus, but as soon as she moves. He wakes up and looks at her. Cadmus leans in and gives her a lick on her face as he hops down off the bed and waits for her.

Gina just smirks and grabs her robe and slips on her bunny slippers before leaving her bedroom. Gina knew everyone else in the house were still asleep. She was always the first one up and liked being able to go outside and watch the sun come up. Gina had never been allowed to leave the small closet she was forced to sleep in. The man her father rescued her from always locked the closet and left her in the dark.

Gina heads downstairs and disarm the alarm on the front door. The first time she tried to go outside to watch the sunrise, she had set it off waking everyone in the house. She had thought that her father would had been mad at her and punish her, but instead understood and showed her how to disarm only the front door. Cadmus walks behind her and follows her out the front door. The big wolf loved going out with his person. Once outside Gina sits on the top steps and watches as the sun comes up with Cadmus perched next to her. She reaches over and scratches him on the back of his neck. She liked having Cadmus around because he made her feel safe. She knew he would never allow anyone to hurt her ever again. Her adopted father had said that he would do anything to keep her safe and protected and always kept his word.

She loved being out here in the country. It was quiet and safe. It was beautiful and she loved the horses, riding and Cadmus. No one wanted to hurt her or make her do anything she didn’t feel was right. Selina didn’t mind showing her how to cook and letting her work in the kitchen with her. Her adopted aunt Debbie was nice and patient with her when she made mistakes riding. She misses her old family and couldn’t believe that they didn’t want to have anything to do with her. She had been hoping she could go home and be accepted by her family. Tears slide down her cheek.

Cadmus senses that his human was upset and leans over and licks her tears. He keeps it up until she stops crying.
A smile forms on her face as she considers the eyes of Cadmus and sees love and devotion in them. She was lucky when Jack first brought Cadmus to her. He had walked over and sniff her and licked her and rub himself against her body.

Gina felt herself fortunate that Jack had offer to make her and Julia his daughters if they wanted it. He gave them the choice to decide. He had told them that if they wanted someone else to be their father, he would help them find that person. She was happy she had a new family. When Jack told, her he had found her parents and what they said. It broke her heart. She had broken down and cried. He had held her and rocked her the whole entire time. Her adopted aunt Debbie had stayed with her as well when her adopted father couldn’t.

Gina hears the front door behind her open and close. She glances over her shoulder and notice it was Selina. She was standing behind her with her coffee mug which had a picture of Cadmus on it chasing a softball. She also notices Selina had her own coffee mug as well.

“Do you mind if I join you Gina?” Selina had gotten up early this morning. She knew Gina was always the first one up and wanted to talk with the young girl and see how she was adjusting.

“No ma’am.” Gina slides aside to let Selina sit down next to her.

“Thank you. I thought you might like a hot chocolate. I know how you like marshmallows in it.” Selina hands the coffee mug to Gina.

“Thank you, Selina.” Gina accepts the mug and takes a careful sip of it.

The two sit quietly for a few minutes. Gina continues to sip her hot chocolate, while Selina drink some of her coffee. Gina could smell the French vanilla scent coming from it. She loved the way Selina made hot chocolate. Selina didn’t use any prepackaged mixed. The mixed was freshly mixed by Selina herself.

“You know, it is lovely when the sun comes up around here. I used to join April when she couldn’t sleep when your father was gone on assignments for MI 6. April was an early morning type of person like you.” Selina looks out towards the corral where Aprils Arabian was and where three of the mustangs were grazing.

“I like it when the sun comes up. I was never allowed to see it come up when I was kidnapped and turned into a girl.” Gina trembles some when she thinks back on what has been done to her.

Selina notices it and puts her coffee mug down on the step. She then wraps her arm around Gina’s shoulder and hug her. Gina calms down when she feels Selina’s loving arm around her shoulder.

“You know, I don’t know how you feel or what you have gone through, but I can tell you that we’re all here for you no matter what. If you ever want to talk to me about your ordeal, I’ll listen. Even if you don’t want to talk, but just be held. I can do that for you as well.” Selina places a kiss on the side of Gina’s head.

Cadmus gets up and jumps off the porch and chase a rabbit he had spotted.

“Poor rabbit.” Gina knew that Cadmus loved to chase rabbits. She could stop him if she wanted to.

Selina and Gina watches as Cadmus chases the rabbit. The rabbit was giving him a chase. When it got over near the corral, Cadmus stops and looks towards April’s Arabian.

“Why does he do that? I thought him and Sphinx weren’t afraid of anything.” Gina had always wonder why the two wolves never went near the Arabian horses. The mustang weren’t any problems, but the Arabians were a different story.

“That’s because both Arabian horses are trained and protective of their herd. Sphinx and Cadmus have been hurt by both and remember. The Arabian stallion is only afraid of one wolf on this property. That’s Chaos. Chaos isn’t your normal wolf. He is part Irish Wolfhound and part European gray wolf. His large size comes from his Irish Wolfhound genes. Jack raised him since he was a puppy and is one of the meanest wolves around. He took to the training that all the wolves on this property has. Like it was nothing. He even broke through the protective gear Jack used to train him and left a huge bite mark on Jack’s right arm. Among animals, you always have the Alpha male. You can never have two alpha males near each other, because they will try to kill each other. The stallion was the alpha male here. When he first tried to boss Chaos around or run Chaos off from the herd, Chaos attacked him and proved he was the alpha male. The two of them get along with each other now, because Jack stamped his alpha. They both see Jack as the Alpha. I still wouldn’t test Chaos tho. He listens to one person and one person only.” Selina liked Chaos, but she knew if it came down to it, Chaos would ignore her and do what Jack told him.

“Why does dad keep him here then?” Gina didn’t want to get hurt by Chaos.

“Well, first off this ranch is Chaos territory. Chaos knows every inch of this property. Jack raised him here and explore the property with him. Second, Chaos will protect what he considers is his. That’s where you and Julia comes in. Some animals treat children like their puppies. A female wolf sometimes will not hurt a human child. He smells Jack’s scent on you and will not attack unless directed too. Me, he just comes to get food from. He tolerates me and Jack knows it. Still, he won’t do anything to me unless Jack tells him too. I helped raise Sphinx and Cadmus so they trust me, but Chaos was only raised by Jack. You and Julia he won’t hurt because he can sense you have already been hurt. Plus, you have your father’s scent on you. So, you are pack, just like Sphinx and Cadmus.” Selina, hopes she hasn’t scared Gina even more.

Gina wonders how Chaos knows her and her adopted sister have been hurt.

“I hope that helps some Gina. Don’t be afraid of Chaos. If it came down to it and someone threatens yours or Julia’s or even my life. He would attack till they were dead.” Selina finishes her coffee.

“Okay.” Gina figures she could trust what Selina had said. Her father had said she could trust Chaos, but not to test him or try to play with him. Cadmus and Sphinx didn’t mind playing, but Chaos wasn’t like them.

She giggles when a butterfly lands on Cadmus nose and he tries to get it. The rabbit he had been chasing had gotten away.

“Why don’t you come inside and help me make breakfast for everyone.” Selina stands up and helps Gina up and both head inside the house together with Cadmus following behind them.

Off in the distance away from the house in plain sight stood Chaos watching them. He was watching his territory and those he was assigned to protect.

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yep, definitely more help for

Yep, definitely more help for Jack at the ranch than the hit team realizes.

Surprise!

3rd hand intelligence is not going to do the baddies any good at all!

alissa

Quick kill

Jamie Lee's picture

Those morons better hope they are killed quickly, least the wolves have a go at them. Especially Chaos.

Perry better hope he's killed or Jack might have a few questions for him. And he won't like how the questions are asked.

Sano better find the deepest hole he can find, because Jack will find out who sent the morons.

Others have feelings too.