The Spanish Flower Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Renata and Ranger Jesse manages to make their way to an abandon warehouse. Jesse had managed to stop the bleeding from Renata’s gunshot. He looks at her and wonder why she is tied up in this mess.

Renata couldn’t believe the mess she was in. Why did Ichiko do this to her. She had never done anything to her. Why couldn’t the cartel just leave her along? Their leader was in jail and he deserve it for all the people he killed that day.

“So, any idea on how we are going to get out of here?” Renata had found a wooden box and turned it upside down to sit on.

Jess just shakes his head “well it would be nice to know what your name is and why they were so interested in you?”

“My name is Renata Magdaleno and I have a history with that particular cartel.” Renata didn’t know how much she wanted to give this guy.

“How about you? Why is this particular cartel interested with you?” Renata was curious about this fellow.

“I’m a Texas Ranger darling and as for why they are after me, it’s simple. I’ve been a royal pain in their backside.” A shit ass grin appears on his weather face.

“Well, any ideas about getting us home? Because I don’t know about you, but I have about thirty dollars on me. I have no identification or the foggiest idea on where in Mexico we are.” Renata just wanted to get back home and leave this mess behind her.

“Well darling, I’m in the same boat as you. Let’s wait till morning and find out where we are and then make our way home.” Jesse figures they could either contact some friends or find a way home once they know where they are.

Renata looks out of the nearest window where they were hiding. The only thing she could see was darkness and lights from the surrounding buildings. She looks at where the bullet had struck her on her arm. The bullet had to be dug out by Jesse and they had to use Jesse’s undershirt to bind the wound.

“You might as well get some shut eye. We’re going to be here till morning.” Jesse was watching Renata to see if she was going to take his advice.

“No thanks. I think I’m going to stay awake and make sure my butt is covered. I had enough sleep from whatever the drug was that my friend used on me.” Renata still hated the fact that a person she trusted drugged her.

“Well since it looks like neither of us is going to get any sleep tonight. Why don’t you tell me how you got mixed up in all this mess?” Jesse finds a comfortable spot to sit and listen.

Renata just sighs “about a year ago I testified against the cartel leader. I was living on the street and took work that was paid under the table working at a warehouse. The cartel leader and a few of his men came in and gun down everyone working there and the men that hired us. I survived the attack by taking a bullet to my shoulder and by having dead bodies covering me. I also found some money one of their gang members threw away when he got arrested. This was before the shooting so I was already on their radar in a since. I guess having a so call friend of mine drug me and bring me to them is something that never crossed my mind.”

“So, you testified against them and then took money that didn’t belong to you?” Something wasn’t feeling right to Jesse.

“I found the money. A gang member had thrown the drugs and money down so he didn’t get caught with them. When the police search where the dealer threw the items, they didn’t see the money hidden back behind the bush in the corner of the flower bed. I found the money because I had been hired to change the mulch in the flower bed. So, I kept it. At the time, I needed the money to get off the streets. It wasn’t like I was using the money to buy drugs, weapons and such.” Renata really didn’t want to tell Jesse that she was a transgender person and a run away.

“You could have turned the money over to the police, instead of keeping it and looking over your shoulder now.” Jesse couldn’t believe this girl. He could understand why she kept the money, but at the same time she was playing with her life.

“You’re right I could or should have turned it over, but when you’re living on the streets and something like that presents itself. You need to seize the opportunity.” She closes her eyes and wonder why she was explaining herself to this guy.

“Why were you living on the streets? Didn’t you have any friends or family that could had taken you in?” He leans back against the wall he was sitting in front of.

“Nope, I was on my own. My family lived in another state and we don’t get along with each other. My sister is the only person I have any contact with and I haven’t spoken to her since last month.” Once she had gotten a place to live. She had called her sister and told her where she was living. Her sister had said that their parents were pretending she was dead when people asked about her. She had fallen and cried after hanging up.

“That’s too bad. Family is important. It gives you a history and support.” Jesse couldn’t see not being around his family. They had been the force that shaped his foundation and values on how he treated people. That was the reason why he became a Texas ranger. There has always been a Baylor Texas Ranger since they were first formed. It was a tradition in his family.

“Well, sometimes family members don’t always agree about certain things and distance themselves from each other about it.” She knew her parents weren’t going to change their opinion about what she felt was right for herself.

“That happens darling, but things can be worked out if both parties try. At least if you try to work things out and it still don’t work out. Then it shows you gave it your best effort. It is good that you still have a relationship with your sister. With her in your corner, your parents will have to come along. If there is one thing I know, sisters are the building blocks of family and they play dirty.” A smile appears on his face as he remembers the things him and his sisters did. They were the instigator of a lot of things that got them in trouble. They would make him go along with things when he was stubborn and didn’t want to do what the family wanted to.

“Well, you don’t know my family that well. My mother is from Spain and you know stubbornness and superiority is a trait that all full-blooded Spaniards have. My mother is a firm believer of the Catholic religion. She and my step-father are very religious.” There were times where Renata couldn’t stand the strict catholic rules and traditions her family forced her to follow.

Jesse started putting a few things together now. He figures it had something to do with her parent’s belief system and something she did or is. He looks at her as she sat across from him. He wonders what or why her parents didn’t want to have anything to do with her.
The rest of the night they sit quietly and watch as the night passes into early morning. He watches as Renata dozed off and he just let her sleep, while he kept watched. Once the sun was up, he shakes her lightly.

“Wake-up sleepy head. Time to get moving.” Jesse figures if they could get an early start. They could find out where they were and make some sort of plan.

Renata just yawns and tries to focus on her surroundings. She was still feeling tired and her mouth felt dry.

“I could go for something to drink.” As she stands up and dust her pants off.

“Well, get something once we figure out where we are darling.” Jesse looks outside of their hiding spot checking to see if it is clear.

“Come on. It looks like it’s clear.” Jesse leads Renata out and away from their hiding spot.

The two of them start looking around to determine where they were. All that was around them was the abandon building they had taken refuge in last night and several other buildings in various stages of decay.

“Well it looks like we are going to have to do some walking darling.” Jesse could feel it was going to be a hot one today.
Renata looks down at her feet and was glad she had on her tennis shoes when she was going home. She couldn’t believe that there wasn’t anything else around them. She couldn’t recall which direction they had come last night.

“Well I guess we might as well get walking. Do you know which direction we need to head?” She looks towards Jesse and could see he wasn’t looking forward to this.

“North.” Jesse starts following the dirt road before them.

Renata follows behind him as the two of them walked for twenty minutes before coming to an actual highway. She follows Jesse north walking along the side of the highway.

“Didn’t we come this way last night?” Everything had happened so fast last night.

“We might have driven passed here last night. I think everything took place back behind us.” Jesse remembers running through the night away from the fire fight going on.

The two of them walk in silence for hours, before a truck they hear a truck coming up from the direction they just came. Renata turns around and tries to flag it down. Her feet were killing her and she was dripping in sweat.

The guy driving the truck pull over and Jesse speaks with him in Spanish. Renata stands quietly nearby as she lets Jesse try to get them a ride. She was hoping the guy would be willing to help them out.

“Come on and hop in back.” Jesse walks next to Renata and helps her up into the back of the truck.

Once they were in the back the guy starts driving again.

“How far is he willing to take us?”

“He’s willing to take us to the broader. I can call my Captain to come and pick us up there.” Jesse wipes some sweat out of his eyes. Enjoy the air as they head down the highway.

up
197 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

now how did they know it wasn

now how did they know it wasn't a cartel member in the vehicle

Cartel Member

They didn't. It was blind luck and trust on their part.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

I just hope that the truck

I just hope that the truck driver does not take them back 'into the fire' that they just escaped from. With no id and no money, will be a real issue and chore for either of them to get back across the border into the US. When it comes down to it, Renata could not do better than she has by becoming hooked up with a Texas Ranger. He just may be the life saver she needs.

cartel and boarder

mountaindrake's picture

cartel: sounds like an ambush to me they are always fighting or just a tactic of you can not have by a rival. Border: ask for finger print check after all he is a lawman and she testified in major case in court so the prints will be on file and easy to locate and check.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Lucky? Or Not?

joannebarbarella's picture

Sounds dodgy picking up the first lift to come along. Still, maybe better than walking. Let's hope that it goes all right, but something tells me it won't.