Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 254

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by: Angharad
part 254.

There were no more text messages from the bad guys, that was worse than receiving them. Now it was just silence and my imagination. It was a torment. I was either beating myself up for killing that bloke or worrying if they had hurt Stella. The latter made me angry then very sad. It was all my fault, everything was my fault! I was sure that original sin, was probably my doing as well.

I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to Stella, why had they taken her? Mind you why did they want me, it couldn't have been because of my blog on the BBC website about Astana cheating in the Tour de France, could it?

I made some more tea, it was something to do. Tom had fallen asleep in his study and it smelled a little of him. I suspect he'd been up all night. He was snoring to himself so I left him in peace.

I had no more ironing to do, and running the vacuum cleaner would have woken up Tom. It was now more than twenty four hours since Stella had been taken, what was happening?

I sat and tried to talk to the cop who was manning the phone.

"Anything?

"Not since you last asked?"

"What's happening?"

"I don't know."

"Don't they tell you anything?"

"They tell me lots."

"Oh, about what?" I felt my spirits rise.

"How not to ask questions about delicate jobs in progress."

"Ouch! I only ask because I'm worried about Stella."

"We are all worried about Lady Cameron."

"Yeah but you don't know her like I do." I wanted to hurt him back.

"That's very true, however, I don't have to know someone to feel for them. I know that she is probably very frightened, these are not nice people."

"She is mentally quite tough."

"I hope so."

"Where did your mate go? I mean it's not like they're short of someone for school crossing patrol, is it?" I felt irritated by being kept in the dark.

"You never know these days," he replied.

I looked out the window, a police car went flashing past, the blue emergency lights blinking as it passed. A moment later came another, then another.

"Hey, there's something going on in Portsmouth, three blue lights have gone past."

"Is there?" he asked casually.

"Hey, that's not to do with Stella is it?"

"I have no idea."

"Can't you switch your radio thing on?"

"No, what if the kidnappers call."

"Switch it off before we answer."

"Sorry, no can do."

"There's another one!"

"Another what?"

"Police car with lights flashing."

"So, perhaps there's been a motorway accident."

"Or perhaps it's something to do with this business. I'm sick of waiting, I'm going to find out."

"How do you propose to do that?"

"I'll sit and wait for the next police car to come past and follow it."

"I don't think so," he said.

"I beg your pardon!" I asked in disbelief.

"You aren't going anywhere."

"Says who?"

"My super, if you want to know."

"What, that's unlawful detention," I protested.

"No, if you leave this house, I shall arrest you for obstructing a police investigation."

"You are joking?"

"I am deadly serious."

"So why didn't you detain your mate then?"

"He was called out."

"So was I, didn't I tell you, I have to go."

"Miss Watts, if you cross that threshold I shall arrest you and have you taken to the lockup."

"But they need me there?"

"Where?"

"At the university."

"Oh that's somewhere different, what about Lady Cameron?"

"She isn't at the university any more."

"Please don't play games with me. I can arrest you and I can get you charged with obstructing the police. Please don't make me do it."

"I am going to report you for this." I felt really snotty.

"That's your privilege."

"And I intend to use it."

"As I said, that is your right."

"Can I go to my room?"

"Please stay where I can see you."

"Why can't I go to my room?"

"Because I can't see you there and you may try to escape."

"This is ridiculous, I can't even go to lie down in my own room."

"I'm afraid not, because I don't trust you."

I stomped about sighing heavily and pouting like a teenager, then threw myself down in an easy chair. The copper just sat and glared at me.

"Can I at least get my computer?"

"Where is it?"

"In my bedroom."

"Sorry. I'd prefer it if you stayed here."

"What if they need me?"

"If that was the case, they'd have sent for you. But as we don't know what was happening, it might be another motorway pile-up or even fire somewhere."

"Where are the fire engines then?"

"I was suggesting alternative scenarios."

"Oh yeah, some mad Mullah has crashed his Cessna into the Spinnaker Tower, bringing down the American Government."

"My daughter grew out of this stage about the age of sixteen. You obviously didn't."

"What are you implying?" I pouted even more and sat with my arms folded across my chest.

"The spoilt brat bit, you poor little rich kids are all the same if you can't get your own way."

"How do you know my father is wealthy."

"He must be if you're marrying into the Camerons."

"Must he, so you think I went to public school and had all the privileges associated with it?"

"Didn't you?"

"My dad was a quantity surveyor until he had his stroke. I went to a state school in Bristol. Satisfied?"

"So, you struck lucky."

"How dare you? I happen to love Simon, he wanted to marry me."

"Don't you want to marry him then, become Lady Cameron?"

"I'm not sure of anything any more, except I want Stella to walk through that door and be safe and unharmed."

"What do you do at the university?"

"I teach a bit and run research projects."

"Does it pay well?"

"Not as well as the police."

"So why don't you join the police then?"

"I'm a biologist, I prefer dormice to rats."

"You're into dormice, so you know that woman on the Youtube clip with the dormouse jumping down her blouse."

I blushed profusely.

He looked at me and held his head askew, "That's you on the clip isn't it?"

"How much longer are you going to detain me?"

"Wow, a Youtube celebrity! can I have your autograph?" He laughed.

"Piss off!" I said and stormed out of the room.

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That Cop Has Just Lrearned That

He stuck his foot in his mouth up to his hip and has not made a friend out of Cathy. If he had simply called in and gotten information on all of the commotion, Cathy would feel better.
but I guess that anal cops exist everywhere. I loved Cathy's response to the cop at the end.
But I do hope that Stella is alright. Somehow, I doubt that the Mafia has hurt her. No, they may try to ship her out of the country to be the plaything for some Mafia Don and he will want her ready for action.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

copper

SACK HIM

samantha

A YouTube Celeb!

What a way to end the episode!!!

Thank you for that ending. Cathy would, & many at home in hostage situations, tend to do better when the authorities keep them fairly well informed on what's happening. That said, I keep waiting for something to go crazy. Wait. I know what it is. Stella is holding the entire UK Russian Mob hostage through the use of her laser wit. The police are going to arange the ransom. That's why there are so many cars going by. Yep, that's gotta be it!

Annette

She's finally lost it ...

... No, not Cathy - Angharad. I think someone should check that she's all right. She could be hallucinating. On the other hand, she's probably testing to make sure we're reading it properly.

One of the funniest so far.

Geoff

Oh you!

Don't give away her secrets. She's always testing us. Wonder when there's a pop quiz? And when you fail you aren't allowed to read EAFOAB any further, but have to start at number 1 again.

Oh, maybe that wouldn't be too bad.

Jo-Anne

EAFOAB

It is easy to see that Police don't care much for dormice.
Keep us happy with your great tale.

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

Cathy's Disposition

I'm loving this story, but sometimes think Cathy should be as patient with people as she is with dormice.

I Second the (E)Motion

I know; I skipped a couple of comments but sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut (or your computer off) and be thought a twit (that's proper Britspeak, isn't it?) than to open it (or turn it on) and remove all doubt, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Get the compound bow and aim for his ...

What an ass of a policeman.

Deserves a arrow in the guts, theoretically that is. Maybe daddy almost in law can pull a few strings and have Officer Charming reasssigned to the beat from Hell, or maybe Wales.

You are torturing us, rescue Stella.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

nice bit of imagery

"Get the compound bow and aim for his..." followed by "hidden parts" on the list of comments, could nae have been planned any better. The karmic distribution of comment subject titles has succinctly brought my thoughts on this story arc to life :)

Hugs
Diana

Cathy is worried

She must be to take that guff from that discourteous policeman.
Her usual sharp wit would have skewered him or she would have phoned Henry or one of Stella's Friends, were she not so distracted. I personaly do not think the rude bully has any real legal means to force her to stay. He is using the usual bullying tactic of threats, and, as to refusing to allow her to her own bedroom? Unthinkable! A few properly placed phone calls should put him in his place and out of hers.

Still a fun story. Did I hear Simon related to MI5? Maybe no one in this story is who they would seem to be, each taking multifaceted roles.
Thank you for the 254 days if fun.

This copper gives you confidence in the police...NOT

This cop has been with Cathy for over 24 hours, apparently; yet he only NOW realizes who she is? Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his abilities as a crime solver, if you ask me!

Jenny

I love Cathy... but

I agree with the copper... even if she wasn't brought up in the public schools system... she often acts like an immature spoiled BRAT!!

"Hurry up and wait!"

"Hurry up and wait!" Been there done that have multiple t-shirts. In my youth I was a firefighter/EMT we were often just as frustrated as the public waiting for a scene to be cleared and such.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Kick boxer

Great repartee! The flatfoot better be careful, Or the English version of "the muscles from Brussels" will let him have one.
Seems we could boil water on her head, she's getting so upset.

Cefin