Being Different Isn't So Bad Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Rebecca wipes the sweat from her eyes as she finishes rebuilding the engine in one of her customer’s cars. She wasn’t your average mechanic. Her skills were far superior then most other mechanics around. She cleans her hands and walks out of her garage and over towards the barbeque unit she had built a couple of days ago and fires it up to fix herself some lunch.

While her steak and baked potatoes are cooking, she heads back into the garage and through another door that leads to her private living quarters. She changes out of her work coveralls and into a bikini and grabs a bottle of sun tan lotion and heads back out to the grill to finish cooking her lunch.

As Rebecca lies on her lounge chair on her back after eating her lunch and suntan her entire light pink skin body. She thinks about how her life has been so far. Her birthday was only a few days away and she was thinking about doing something special on it. She doesn’t remember much about the mother she was born too or abandon by, because of her strange looks. She does remember the kind and gentle man that had found her in a dumpster on a very cold snow covered Kansas evening. His name was Charles Trenner and he had heard her crying as he walked by the dumpster she had been left in. He had taken her out and tucked her small body inside his coat and took her home with him. He didn’t mind that she had been born looking like a mouse. She had the ears and the prehensile tail of a mouse. Instead of five fingers on each hand and foot, she had four fingers and four toes instead. Her nose was just like a mouse and her eye sight was like a human, but she couldn’t see far distance. Her ears were a different story. She could hear into ranges that normal humans couldn’t. It was almost impossible for anyone to sneak up on her.

One time he told her that she reminded him of the female cartoon mouse named Gadget from Disney’s Rescue Rangers cartoon. So, from that day forward her nick name had become Gadget. No one knew why she was born looking like her name sake from the Disney cartoon, all they did know was she was very smart and picked up on things quickly. Her father had tried to locate her birth mother, but the search turned up negative. She didn’t care, because she had a family that loved her for her.

Her adopted father loved her very much and took care of her. He taught her how to read and write. He also taught her how to fix and build things. He taught her how to drive cars and fly airplanes, fighter jets. They had a few that they had brought and restored. Her father and his friends were into old World War II vehicles and equipment. They brought them and restored them either for museums or private collectors. He home schooled her for fear that she would be bullied and picked on in school. She took the GED and passed it with flying colors. She scored very high on the entire test. Her highest scores were in the math and science portion of the test and she took on-line college courses so she could stay home and help with her father’s business.

Her father had brought some land at an abandon airfield that the government didn’t use any more and opened a repair shop for working on privately and commercially owned airplanes, tracker trailers and cars. The shop was an old aircraft hangar that they had renovated to act as a repair shop and home for them. Most of the workers they had were retired military people that knew how to work on military and commercial vehicles. She was a daddy’s girl and a tomboy as well. She didn’t get into looking pretty or doing girly things. That was why a lot of the employee’s they had liked her.

She was friends with their children and they didn’t mind her strange looks. No one knew why she was born the way she was. As far as anyone knew, there weren’t any others like her around to compare what she was. Her biology was the same as any other female. The only difference was her hearing, nose and her tail, along with her hands and feet. Other than those deformities, she was a normal woman. She was only four feet tall and very petite. Whenever her father went to buy clothes for her, he would have to buy them in the little girl’s section or order them from the children section on-line.

She loved the feel of the Kansas sun on her body. It was the weekend and she had nothing else to do today. She lays there and soaks up the sun on her petite body. As Rebecca is lying there, her nose starts to twitch. She was picking up several unknown scents approaching her. She opens one eye to see who they were. It was some guy with a woman and another guy with him. They were dress nicely and looked like they were upper middle class of people.

“Excuse me Ms., but I was told that you work on cars. I was wondering if you could come and look at my car. My children and I had to walk five miles till we saw you’re sign.” Neil Cummings had been informed about this girl by some of his church members. He belonged to the Hunter organization and they wanted to know more about this girl.

He had taken the assignment and brought the two new recruits with him to see how an actual capture was done.
Rebecca looks at the guy and the other two people with him. She really didn’t want to do any more work today, but money was money.

“No problem. Give me a minute to change and we’ll go back and have a look at your car. I have a tow truck that I can used to either take you home with or bring your car back here to work on.” Rebecca gets up off her lounger and heads inside to slip her work coveralls back on. She grabs the keys to her place and the tow truck and locks the garage up.

“Okay, I’m ready. If you’ll follow me, please, we’ll take my tow truck.” Rebecca leads the three to her tow truck and climbs in. The younger guy climbs in first follow by the father' The father or older guy climbs in next and notice that with him scooted over as far as he could, the girl with them will have to sit on his lap.

Rebecca starts the tow truck up, after calling on her radio to a friend of hers to let them know she was making a run. Normally, she called her father, but he was in the hospital sick. She was planning on visiting him tomorrow morning. When she gets to the drive way leading from the airfield, she looks at the guy.

“Which direction do we go, left or right?” Rebecca looks over towards the guy.

“Left, I’m approximately five miles down on the right-hand side of the road.” Neil had purposely sabotage the car so his story was believable.

“To the left it is then.” Rebecca turns the tow truck left and starts heading down the road.

“So, what type of work do you do Mister?” Rebecca glances over towards the guy.

“Jones, Mr. Jones. I sell farm equipment. My children and I were heading this way on our way to a church retreat, when the car broke down.” Mr. Jones knew there was a church retreat going on this weekend, but nowhere near here.

“Well, I’ll see if I can’t get you and your family back on the road then.” Rebecca was glancing out from the corners of her eyes towards the people sitting next to her. Her father told her to always be careful when she was making a pick-up.

After a few minutes of driving, Rebecca spots a black Ford Tarsus sedan parked on the opposite side of the road. She goes past it and does a U turn in the middle of the road and drive back up, so she is parked in front of the car. Rebecca backs the tow truck up some, so if she had too, she could extend the lift system to tow the car.

She radios back to her friend and tell her she’ll be out of the truck. Afterwards she gets out to look at the car. Rebecca could smell anti-freeze in the air.

“Smells like you have an anti-freeze leak. Go ahead and pop the hood for me please.” Rebecca stands in front of the car waiting for someone to pop the hood.

Neil looks over at April and nods his head for her to do it. She walks around towards the driver side to pop the hood. Both guys take position to get a clear shot off at Rebecca.

“There’s nothing wrong with the car. You’re going to come with us, you freak.” Neil had pulled out a gun and pointed it at Rebecca.

“I don’t think so, Mr. Jones. You see, if you don’t put away your weapon and leave right now. You and you’re two friends here are going to go to jail for attempted kidnapping and banishment of a firearm. This whole thing is being recorded and transmitted back to my partner, back at the airfield. She has all your faces and the license plate number to give to the police.” Rebecca turns around and look at Mr. Jones.

The other two look towards the tow truck and notices a camera looking at them.

“Sir, we better go. The organization won’t like it if we get thrown in jail in this town.” April knew what would happen.

“I don’t know what organization you are talking about, but the Sheriff is a really good friend of mine and he won’t take kindly to you threatening or kidnapping me.” Rebecca knew Sheriff Gibson wouldn’t allow these people to leave this area.

Neil looks at Rebecca and then at the camera and the two others with him. Neil knew the Hunter organization would put pressure on the local police to let them go, but sometimes that didn’t work.

“Clock is ticking, people.” Rebecca was standing and watching them. She knew May would be calling the Sheriff right about now.

Donald was getting tired of the smart remarks from the mouse girl. He moves to strike her, but he is stopped by Neil.

“It won’t do any good and you’re just giving her ammunition to use against us.” Neil looks at Rebecca with hatred.

“If you don’t mind me asking, what organization are you referring to? Is it government related or personal?” Rebecca was hoping to get information on these people.

“Why should we tell a freak like you?” April was looking at the mousey human girl.

Rebecca has heard worse when she was growing up. No matter how much her father tried to protect her. She could always hear people talking about her.

“Well, that tells me you’re not government. So, you must be a civilian organization and operating without government approval. Oh, you now have five minutes to get away before the Sheriff and his deputies will be here.” Rebecca figures they should be here soon.

Her ears start twitching as she hears the sirens way out and heading her way.

“Your time is up.” Rebecca goes over and sits down on her bumper and just smile at the rest of them.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.” Donald starts running towards the car.

Neil looks back towards Rebecca “this isn’t over freak. Your kind shouldn’t exist.” He gets in the car and heads back in the opposite direction they had come.

Rebecca just continues to sit on her bumper and wait for the sheriff to tell him everything. She had no idea who those people were, but she planned on finding out. She wanted to know more about her kind. Did they know more people like her that existed? She’ll have to do some research and find out.

Five minutes later the Sheriff and his deputies pull up across and in front of her tow truck.

up
275 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

grr....

Loving the start, seems like a very fine start to a good story! oh... his kind shouldn't exist either. =p

Sara

How far did they get with a

How far did they get with a disabled car? Or did it breakdown just down the road?

Good start.

D

Ah no, Mr. Jones...

Jamie Lee's picture

You, Mr. Jones, are the ones who should not exist. You give the rest of humanity a bad name. To bad Rebecca didn't disable their car. Or them.

Others have feelings too.

great start

I do love your stories :)