Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 255

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Asleep
by Bonzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzi
part:255

I went up to my room, if that dopey copper arrested me, fine, I'd plead guilty, but tell the court what happened. Court, yeah, should I get some practice in for when they charge me with killing someone.

I lay on my bed and drifted off to sleep, I awoke with a head like a bucket to Tom calling me. I jumped off the bed in the darkness and nearly fell over. A moment later, my blood pressure had stabilised and I ran downstairs.

I couldn't believe my eyes, there with Simon was Stella, behind them was Henry. I squealed with delight, and hugged everyone. I couldn't believe it, she was safe. It was so wonderful, I felt so happy.

I needed to wee and opened my eyes, it was dark and I was lying on my bed. A car drove past the house. It had been a lovely dream. It was after midnight, I'd slept for several hours and felt a bit better for it.

I used the toilet and went downstairs, the copper was still there. He was dozing in the chair, Tom must have been in bed because he wasn't in his study.

I went to the kitchen and made some tea and popped some bread in the toaster. I thought about the sleeping policemen and sniggered, that was one I wouldn't mind driving my car over. I told myself off for such nasty thoughts, then sniggered some more.

I buttered the first lot of toast while the second was browning, I poured two cups of tea and took our slumbering sentinel some tea and toast.

"Here," I said quite loudly, putting the tray on the table.

"Uh, what!" He rubbed his eyes, "Oh thanks," he looked at the toast and then at me. "I didn't think we were on speaking terms."

"You didn't arrest me when I went upstairs."

"I can't tell you why I was instructed to keep you here."

I heard the toaster ping. I went off and after buttering my toast brought it back to the dining room.

"To stop me interfering in the rescue attempt."

"I'm not allowed to comment."

"So have they got her yet, and is she safe?"

"I don't know."

"You are armed though, aren't you?"

"How did you know?"

"There's a bulge in your jacket and you haven't taken it off, even though it's warm in here."

"Miss clever clogs."

"So are you my protection?"

"Partly, there's two more outside."

"Armed?"

"Use your loaf for more than making toast."

"Want me to make them a cuppa?"

"No, you're not supposed to know about them."

"Okay. So you three are between the mob and me?"

"Essentially, yes."

"If you'd told me, it would have made life easier."

"It could also have spooked you."

"I think I killed one of them, do I sound like someone who spooks easily?"

"Probably not, you stayed pretty calm when the dormouse...erm."

"Well then, so tell me what you know."

"I can't Miss Watts, I really don't know much more than you do."

"So how will you know if the mob gets your two buddies?"

"We have a way of warning each other."

"So we don't know if Stella is safe or not?"

"Afraid not."

"But all those cars, that was a rescue attempt?"

"Probably."

"Do you think the mob will come to get me because I killed one of their's?"

"You haven't killed anyone."

"How do you know, you weren't there."

"He was killed being taken to hospital. They killed him themselves."

"What, they killed their own man?"

"Yes."

"So you lot followed them back to their lair to rescue my sister."

"No, because they didn't go back. The assassin was shot by a police marksman."

"So that's two you wasted. I could have made the first one talk."

"What, by torture?"

"If necessary."

"Doesn't that make you as bad as them?"

"If it works, don't knock it."

"Do you know why I joined the police?"

"No, but I'm sure you're going to tell me."

"If you're going to be so facile, I don't think I'll bother."

"No I won't, do tell me."

He looked through me, then nodded. "I was an idealistic student like you, got a two one in geography. Thought about teaching but felt I should try to do something more to reward the community which had paid for me to follow my heart's desire. I loved geography, maybe I should have taught?"

"It's not too late."

"It is girl, I have a sergeant's pay and pension coming to me when I get through my twenty years. Just five more to go."

"Are you going to stay in the police?"

"Don't know, I'll talk it over with the wife and kids and see how we all feel."

"What was that?" I froze.

"I didn't hear anything."

"I'm sure I heard something outside, I'll go and look."

"No you won't, go up stairs and wake the professor, just in case."

I picked up the phone, it was dead. I grabbed my mobile, it didn't work either.

"It's them. Go upstairs and wake the prof now, go and lock your doors."

I ran with trembling legs up the stairs and practically dragged Tom out of his bed. He grabbed his clothes and followed me into my room.
While he dressed I put together my bow. He went to speak and I hushed him. I pulled on the night vision goggles. "Hide as best you can," I told him and switched off all the lights on the stairs.

I got to the bottom of the stairs in time to see someone holding a gun to the copper's head. Without thinking I released an arrow which from less than twenty feet hit him like a hammer between the shoulder blades. He turned around screaming and my second arrow hit him in the stomach.

The copper turned and snatched his gun, "Get down," I hissed. He dropped like a stone.

"Cathy?" he hissed back.

"Shut up!" I hissed back.

I crept to the kitchen, the door was ajar, with the key still in it. I shut it quietly and locked it, taking the key with me. Any who were in the house now had to get past us.

I tried not to think about what I had just done, except I knew he would have killed the policeman who had a wife and family, and who was doing his legitimate job.

I checked out the rest of the ground floor, no one else was there, but the mobile phones were still being blocked.

"What about your mates?"

"It doesn't look good if one of them got in the house. What have you got on?"

"Night sights."

"Can I borrow them to go out and see?"

"No way, you don't know the area, I do."

"You're not going out there, you can't fight gangsters with a bow and bloody arrows."

"I had more success than you did with a gun."

"Touche!"

"Go and get Tom, he's up in my room, he's got a shot gun and he can use it." The copper did as I suggested and two minutes later he was back with Tom. While Tom checked out his shotgun and loaded it, the copper tied up the injured mobster, who was bleeding heavily. I suspect I caught his spleen or liver. I packed it as hard as I could but we needed an ambulance.

Tom ran upstairs and opening a window, fired twice. Maybe someone will call the police, I thought, maybe they'll just think it's poachers and do nothing. It also told the bad guys we had a shotgun.

Just then, there was a rat-a-tat-tat against the back door. An automatic blasted away the lock and half the door. Tom lay inside the dining room covering the door from the kitchen, the copper stood just behind him to cover him as he reloaded his shotgun.

I went back upstairs and while they were busy downstairs I sneaked out on to the veranda in the shadow of the house. There was no one at the back door, a feint or were they keeping their options open.

I saw movement someone in the bushes was watching the door, he had some sort of automatic weapon, so he certainly wasn't the police. I decided he was my next target. I would only get one go at this and if I failed I was dead. I may be dead anyway if they got their way.

I fired, the arrow took milliseconds but he looked up as it hit his face, he screamed and fired wildly then dropped backwards. I was lucky he hadn't fired at me.

I saw more movement and dropped behind the wall of the veranda. I loaded the bow again. Someone said something softly in Russian and I heard quiet footsteps, presumably as one of them checked out his colleague.

Peeking over the balcony, I saw a shadow moving towards the other man. I loaded my bow and waited. Just then there was firing at the front of the house the man stepped into the clear and I hit him in the neck or shoulder.

I heard Tom's shotgun boom twice and glass shatter. I went back into the house to cover the stairs.

Police sirens sounded in the distance, I began to hope we would be okay. A helicopter soon sounded overhead. The loud hailer was calling for someone to give themselves up. A shot was fired at the helicopter and it backed off. More sirens, more shooting.

An hour later, the police were in the house and amazingly Tom and the sergeant were still alive, so was my first target although he looked critical from blood loss. They didn't find the one I hit in the neck or shoulder, so presumably it was his shoulder. The one I hit in the head was also still alive, but was again critical. Two ambulances carried off the injured.

Tom collected Kiki, who was hiding under the table in the conservatory, he packed himself a suitcase and I did one for myself, one for Stella and one for Simon. Then collecting my laptop and some bits and pieces, we drove off in convoy with police cars flanking us to the main police head quarters.

My bow and the eight arrows were at the bottom of my luggage. I was taking no chances. At the police HQ, we were led for a debriefing. I told them what happened as I experienced it and declared my part in it.

"Where's the bow?"

"Safe."

"Please surrender it."

"I will when you can guarantee to protect me and arrest all these scumbags."

"You may be charged with attempted murder with a deadly weapon."

"I may counter claim incompetence. I saved one of your officers, I don't know what happened to the other two who were supposed to be guarding us."

"Wait here," said the snotty young man.

I sat kicking my heels when a familiar voice said, "Hi Cathy."

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My, my!

She'll have the shakes later, but when the chips are down Cathy delivers. Sod the coppers! Hereabouts where I live we'd give Cathy a medal or two, not threaten her with prosecution. Way to go, girl!

Karen J.

By the way, it's called the "Make my day" law. You (we) are specifically authorised by statute to use deadly force to protect yourselves and your loved ones when attacked in your home.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Remember England is loony, Karen, but so are we in the States

But no one has asked the BIG Q?

Who said "HI, Cathy."?

Up against Russian mobsters who carry maching guns, the police have handguns? "Elllo 'ello I'm dead! -- SPLAT! --" Incompetent is right.

And I still think Simon and his Dad were morons not to hire top notch security people after the attempt to kidnap Cathy on the bike.

What gives with Stella and if anyone harms Spike!!!!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Yep!

Sometimes I do love living in Texas.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

In our great country....

KevSkegRed's picture

....as Angharad or Bonzi [whoever wrote this chapter] wrote, Cathy could get prosecuted for attempted murder. It sucks but it's fact. But having said that, I for one applaud the actions of our heroine and I'm so glad I'm not one of the Russian Mafia. Maybe Cathy should join the police force, she would soon make Portsmouth [if not all the South West of England] crime free. Woe betide anyone that threatens our Cath and hers.

Great writing as always, this story just gets better and better, my bedtime reading is not complete without my fix of EAFOAB.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

I'm thinking from Robin Hood to Rambo

With night vision goggles and a compound bow I can nolonger think of her as like Robin Hood.Rambo seems to fit better now but no tights.Tell Bonzi thanks for a job well done.Amy

The Russians Have Just Learned A Most Painful Lesson Here

NEVER try Cathy's patience because she never fights fair. I can't help but think that she is doing just has her Daddy Derek Watts would do. Tat reminds me that they might try to hurt Derek to get back at Cathy. When they do, Cathy will be on the WARPATH!! I wonder how much longer the siege will continue because sooner it has to end.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Brava, Brava

I am so glad she had it in her to do what needs to be done. She will have the fortune to repent at leisure. However, I think it shits to be her at times though. She will definitely need to talk to a therapist soon - it is the necessary burden of having a conscience I suspect.

Kim

Well, Cathy has done it again...

... Glad she's not directly killed anyone... And, it sounds like Tom didn't take anyone out with the shotgun.

Was a nice episode! Nice dream at the beginning. Too bad it wasn't true. But if it had been, the rest of the episode wouldn't have been needed. I'm glad Cathy & the Sergent got onto better terms.

All in all, a lot of fun, though you left us worrying about Stella again!

Annette

Wow!

Just wow! I'm not all that sure what to say about this (and the last couple) episodes, but I hope Cathy doesn't get any problems from the Law. I'm sure the Camerons can be of help there, but that in of itself could be problematic (after all, nobody likes to see money/position sway the due course of "justice"). I also hope that when things calm down Cathy will be able to forgive herself of her actions, especially if any of her arrow cushions don't make it, and that it doesn't change her too deeply.

Ooooh! I Got Goosebumps

reading this part! Cathy is probably braver than I would have been. I'd have used the bow and arrow and the night vision goggles but to defend myself while I cowered in the upstairs bedroom.

Thanks again for a a great story!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Episode

Go Cathy.........Yes! Sorry it had to happen but it does sound like she needs a bit of practice....she let at least one get away, darn it. Here in Indiana, home intruders are free game. Once they leave, they are home free though......don't chase them to get the tv back if they offer no threat or resistance. None of this happened though. Ya did good girlie.

handguns going against shoulder weapons is very very common in the states. Super metro forces may have some rifles available, but the average car still has a shotgun in it. Mine never did. And responding officers respond with what they have available now, not what can be brought from an armory. She was right though....with the night vision and fore knowledge of the grounds did give her the edge, even with a bow. As we saw it can off set the balance.

The old adage God made men, but Col Colt made them equal, more or less applies. The even older adage works also....the 7 Ps...Proper Prior Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. She used the skills she had and made the best of them.

Anyway....super episode, just tooo bad it had to happen. Cathy may need to talk to a pro for Post Shooting Stress. Wish we knew what was up with Stella. Maybe the voice at the end was Dad to give her some good news.

And yes, her Dad needs someone to watch over the hospital and his house, and Cathy needs some serious watching over also. If they were in the back ground, where were they. dad needs to get off his wallet and get soem pros in there. There aren't enough cops or budget money to do this up right.

Cathy, Dad, her workplace and mates, Tom, and her fiancee and family need some help.

Cathy being prosecuted

She did this in self defense and they want her to reliquish her only protection? No way!!! She is absolutely right they would have been all dead if she hadn't had the bow. What morons the police are. Why didn't Tom get the same threat? I mean he had a shotgun? At least here in the colonies we are allowed to defend ourselves. Seems over there they are reliant upon unarmed police that have whistles, like that will stop anything. If they do have a weapon it is a hand gun, and they go up against people like the mafia who have the assault rifles and such. Yes, use a pea shooter against a tank.

What gauls me is that they go after the people who are defending themselves and charging them with a crime, instead of the thugs that actually do the crime. I know why, they figure the people who are honest won't shoot them when they charge them with a felony such as self defense.

Who are the police working for anyway? The mafia or thugs? If so they (mafia or thugs) can have an easier time of taking care of non compliant patsies? Because they can't defend themselves; so it is easy to waste them! Using an American vanacular?

There is something to the gun laws here in the states. People are allowed to own them, so they are not so easily cowed. they will shoot anyone that tries to harm them or their families.

If someone was trying to kill me, I would certainly buy a gun and defend myself, for you certainly can't trust the police to do it. They ignore threats and they won't do anything until it is too late and the crime is done with. So you have to die first before they take you seriously, then it's "oops I guess they were right, someone was after them".

You wonder why people have little faith in the police people.

I know officers that really try to help, but laws here in the states really hinder them, so to be fair, it is not necessarily their fault. I don't want the police getting upset with me, at least people that I know are police. I made a generalization and I know I shouldn't have, but you hear about corruption in most big cities with their police and governments.

It is all a frightening prospect. It seems that police want people to be defensless, that would be great as long as the thugs are defensless too.

Sorry for the rant. It just set me off about the comment someone was defending themselves and they are the ones being treated as criminals. Yet the criminals go free. so the laws protect the criminals and the innocents lose.

Good Job Angharad, as usual, great writing. Is SNAFU going to enter this story? Will we see lionesses, I mean your co author is your cute black furry critter. Does he/she roar?

hugs
Joni

Good Lord!

I was jumping in my chair as I read this chapter!

Honestly, I never thought she'd use the bow!

Exciting stuff, Angharad.

Kaleigh

Time for the press

I don't know how it is in in Britain, but here in the states the press tend to be equalizers. The cops are incompetent. I suspect they would not like the story on the front page.

Don't piss Cathy off !!

Well the Brits couldn't be too passive if they once ruled half the world.
Ang this chapter reads like a Yank shoot'em up !
Three thumbs up, if that was Stella, then four. Roger Moore eat your heart out!

Cefin