On The Run Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Darit looks at herself in the dressing room as she twirls around in the sun dress she was thinking about purchasing. Darit figures if people are going to mistake him for a girl, then maybe he should act like a girl. That way he could hide from the people looking for him. He brought a hair dye kit to color his hair. He had blonde hair and that would always draw attention to him. His eyes he couldn’t do anything about except maybe wear sunglasses or glasses. Which he buys a weak set of reading glasses and two pairs of sunglasses.

He spends the day buying clothes and groceries for the boat. He also buys himself a satellite phone just in case he needs it while out on the water. He did bring some of the money with him and put most of it on two pre-paid credit cards. One card he’ll keep with him and the other one he leaves on the boat hidden.

As she is walking around. She spots a nice restaurant called the German Pantry. Darit stops in and has lunch. She has never had German food before, so she wanted to try it. She was being cautious so not to get to relax. The last thing she wanted was to be picked up and thrown back into selling his body again. He knew most human traffickers would inject boys and men with HIV so that they can spread it to their clients.

Darit heads back to the marina with her purchases. She needed to make sure the boat was in order as well. The gate guard allows the cab to help bring her stuff to her boat. She gives the cab driver a huge tip for being such a nice person to her. She puts the food away and puts clean sheets and blankets on the beds in the boat. She hangs her new clothes up and once she is done. She checks the things that she has access to according to the owner’s guide. Once she is done, Darit heads up onto the top deck and watches as the sun sets. She was going to spend one more day here, but Darit felt it might be must to go ahead and head down the coastal water way just in case. She’ll have to get fuel before she goes, but it shouldn’t take her long.

Darit takes a shower and slip on the baby blue night gown she had brought today and sits up on the deck and enjoys the silence. Her neighbors were nice and keep the noise down coming from their boats. Darit just sits and watches the night sky.

“Beautiful night, tonight, isn’t it?”

Darit turns around to see who was talking to him.

It was the older lady that had pulled in yesterday while he slept. He hadn’t see her till this morning.

“Yes ma’am, it is a beautiful night.”

“Do you mind if I come aboard?”

“No ma’am, please.” Darit watches as the old lady walks across the dock to his boat.

“You have a nice boat.” Margie had seen the girl earlier today when she left this morning.

“Thank you.” Darit brushes a lose lock of hair out her eyes.

Margi looks around the deck and notices how clean it was.

“Are your parents on board or are they allowing you to travel on your own?” Margie hasn’t seen any adults, just this girl.

“My parents are allowing me to travel on my own. I’m going to meet them in Norfolk, Va. At the marina, over near the naval base. They
thought it would be good experience for me.” Darit was lying, but she had to have some way to cover up why she was traveling by herself.
“Well you should be okay going such a short distance. Do you keep in touch with your parents?”

“Yes ma’am. I have a satellite phone my father brought me to stay in contact with them.”

Darit covers up a yawn.

Margie could see that the girl was tired “well I better be getting back to my boat, before my husband wonders where I wonder off to. You
have a nice night.”

“You too ma’am and thanks for stopping by.” Darit watches as the lady goes back to her boat.

Darit heads down into the cabin area and picks an orange to munch on while she reads a book she had picked up while shopping. She turns the radio on she had found in the boat and listen to one of the local stations it was picking up. She didn’t know much about the different type of music, but whatever she was listening to sounded nice. Darit covers up a yawn as she closes her book and turn the light off.

When morning comes Darit gets dress in a pair of shorts and a camisole and grab her sunglasses. She makes a stop at the fuel station to full her tanks up before leaving. She was sipping on a Pepsi as she travels down the inner coastal waterway. It was warm out and the morning was quiet. There wasn’t anyone else on the water, but Darit. There were trees along the bank on either side of Darit. She was enjoying the peacefulness and wondering what she was going to do once she gets down to the Carolina’s. Darit was glad it was just Spring time right now and not winter. Lately Darit has been thinking about getting the cabin area fully enclosed so not to worry about bugs. When
Darit arrives in Chesapeake, VA. She decides that she is going to stay the night. Instead of pulling into a marina, she finds a nice spot to drop anchor and spend the night. The place she decided to stop was right in the middle of the Great Dismal Swamp. There was no way anyone was going to get close to her without waking her or having a boat.

Darit comes out with her sandwich she had made below deck and sits out on the deck. She watches as the moon disappears behind some clouds. The cool night air blow softly and loose locks of her hair tickles the side of her neck. She didn’t do a bad job on coloring her hair. She had dyed it black and wore her sun glasses during the day to hide what she looks like.

She listens to the radio while sitting there out in the water. She watches the fireflies as they blink and fly around like little angels in the night. She doesn’t remember how many times she has wish she was free and now she is, but she needs to be careful because those men were still looking for her. Maybe she should call the FBI or Homeland? Darit thinks about this and finally heads down below deck for the night.

During the night, she has nightmares and wakes up screaming her head off. She trashes about on her mattress as she finally wakes-up from the nightmare. She pulls her legs to her chest and hold them as tears run down her cheeks. She stays that way for a while before she finally falls asleep. She wakes up early and takes a sponge bath, before heading up to the deck and pulling up her anchor. She grabs an apple and a knife and cut pieces of it as she starts the engine and head down the intercostal water way towards the Carolina’s.

up
297 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If the boat in the picture is

If the boat in the picture is a representative of Darit's boat, I would have to believe that it could be traced rather easily; as all States, as far as I know, require a registration number on boats.
This is also a requirement of the US Coast Guard as well. It is rather like a car having a license plate.
Each and every time Darit refuels the boat, someone there just may be jotting down that number into a book or computer.

this is a very hard fact

wolfjess7's picture

All Boats no matter the size are required by law to be registured. A boat of this size and make however is a fairly commen along the Inter Coastal Waterway, and Eastern Seaboard. That would make tracking it hard to being with. The next thing going for Darit is the fact that he is paying in cash. Only when a credit or debt card is a boat's RID number entered into a computer. The same goes for berthing. If he has been using the smaller privetly owned marianas for fuel and berthing that makes it even hard as these places are not required to report the coming and goings of their customers as regetly as public marians. So it is possible for someone to do what he has been doing.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

But they don't appear to know the boat

WillowD's picture

At the first marina the Russians were checking every boat. If they knew the registration number of this boat then they would have checked this boat before behaving suspiciously by systematically peering inside all of the boats. Of course, just because they didn't know the registration number then doesn't mean that they won't find out about it eventually.

The Boat

Thankfully, the people looking for the boat will not be going to the police. However, since she has lots of cash, it might be a good idea to find a used boat, and leave it registered to the old owner, and find an out of the way place to scuttle her present boat. If she keeps her nose clean, perhaps she'll be lucky.

There is a rather large presence of Russian Mafia in Florida. It was not mentioned how old she appears to be.

If she has learned to handle a small power boat like a 26', Perhaps she could buy a sailboat about the same size to throw the criminals off. Sailboating is relatively easy, and IMHO they are much more seaworthy than the same power boat.

Boat

mountaindrake's picture

All power boats over 20 feet have transponders it is a good thing they do not have it's id other wise game over.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Quickly becoming an old salt

She's doing fine, with that much money she can be independent for a long time.
Nice warm weather, Drait should pay for long term docking, and live on the boat. It sounds like there is a shower on board, if not most marinas' have showers for customers.

Karen