Smoky Corners 4-NC: A Kid at Heart

Printer-friendly version

Smoky Corners 4-NC: A Kid at Heart
(c) 2017 Haylee V

AuPreviner sat at the kitchen table, idly working on a jigsaw puzzle. The kettle whistled merrily on the stove, and it was time to make the tea. He got up to fill the infuser, and gently set the metal ball, now full of fragrant Earl Grey, in the ceramic mug. He checked the water temperature -- 218 degrees, Yikes! -- and set apart some to cool slightly, leaving a digital thermometer in the cup. When the temperature read 195, he quickly poured the water in the mug to steep, just as the clock struck ten. Perfect! he thought. Now for the Tim Tams, a few scones, and the jam. The clotted cream, he remembered, was still on the counter from breakfast.

A Mozart opera played softly in the background. Bastien und Bastienne, his favorite. AuP became lost in his thoughts as the music silently played.

He couldn't remember, really, how it had all began. Perhaps when he had played dollies with his friend, Margaret. Sadly, those halcyon days ended when her mother discovered his true gender. Perhaps when he had held and fed the babe in Health Ed -- his first time holding something so delicately frail. Perhaps it was the fact that most of his really close friends were female. He just didn't know -- nor did he care.

One thing he DID know, though, was children. He knew how they thought. How they played. He knew what brought them happiness and laughter -- and what caused some immeasurable pain.

For AuP was a child -- at least in his heart he was. Where it REALLY mattered.

He had to grow up way too quickly -- family duties dictated that he become the proverbial "man of the house" at an early age. He was denied the opportunity to play. To laugh. To just BE.

And now, as he reflected on his life, it was too late. I'm too old, he thought, and too set in my ways. Leave youth to those who can handle it -- THE YOUNG AND STRONG. Alas! now I am neither.

Coming back to reality, AuP realized that his tea had gotten cold. Such a waste, actually. For some reason, nuked Earl Grey just didn't hold the same -- je ne sais quoi as fresh.

He reached for the cupboard where he kept his loose teas. A sense of emptiness shrouded him as he realized the cupboards were bare. Well, I needed to get out of the house anyway. Too damn depressing.

Grabbing his keys and slipping on some loafers, AuP left for the garage. Fortunately, it was just a short drive to Mulberry Street.

=== === ===

Upon reaching the shopping plaza, AuP was surprised to find a new shop at the end of the row. Mahō no chaya, he mused. Wonder if they have any TEA???

AuP made his way cautiously up the walkway and slowly opened the door. Suddenly, his senses were assaulted by the dazzling array of cats and tigers on display there. Cats of every shape, size, pose and material imaginable lined dozens of shelves. Paintings by Hokusai, Josetsu, and Morimuta decked the halls, and a Hayao Miyazaki film (My Neighbor Totoro, perhaps?) played on the security monitor. The fresh, inviting aromas of maple cookies, warm mulled Calvados, and Earl Grey wafted in the air, reminding AuP of the many nights he had spent in Rouen. And then he saw IT -- a traditional Japanese tea service, set in the right-hand corner of the room. Have I come home again, Grandma?

"Aah, Neko-san!" a voice beckoned him from a tatami mat. "Come. Take off your shoes, and join me for a cup. The tea is almost ready, and the croissants are still warm."

"I'm sorry, Sir," AuP said, taken aback. "I'm afraid I don't understand. I'm AuPreviner, not this Neko-san person. Perhaps you are mistaken?"

"It's no mistake, Neko-san. I was talking to you. You ARE the cat, are you not? We have much to discuss."

"It appears you know me, or at least were expecting me. But I'm sure we've never met. Just WHO are you?"

"I am Kato Chigiri. I own this curio shop. I know what you TRULY seek, and I can help. But first, the tea. You never did finish yours earlier, did you?"

Just who IS this guy, really? And why does he know so much about ME??

"I know many things, Neko-san. Such is the way of magick. Now COME. SIT. DRINK."

For some reason, the sheer power of his words held AuP spellbound. He found himself taking off his shoes, putting on the uwabaki and walking to a velvet cushion in the corner of the room. He took the proffered jade cup, and drank deeply.

"Thanks. I think???" AuP stumbled for words. Wait! How did I get HERE??? And what's with this guy, really?

"I mean you no harm, Neko-san. I simply wish to give you a gift. You'll find it VERY useful."

Chigiri reached out and handed him a neatly wrapped object. As he slowly untied the silk obi holding the rice paper together, he noticed two amber eyes staring back at him. He nearly dropped the package, clutching for it just before it hit the floor. Looking down, he felt the weight of the jade cat in his palm.

"It's a CAT!" AuP exclaimed, excitedly. "But how did you..."

"I know many things, as I have said. But alas! The tea is cold, and our time is short. Just remember that you are a child at heart. When you feel troubled, just rub the cat's belly. Sayounara, Neko-san."

=== === ===

With that, AuP found himself in his kitchen once again. How he got there was anyone's guess. His car was neatly parked where he had left it in the garage, and his cupboards were filled with loose teas from around the world. In his hand, he still clutched the jade cat tightly.

Absentmindedly, he rubbed the cat's belly. Gee, it would be nice to be a kid again, he thought.

The room began to spin -- slowly at first, then more violently. The cat began to emit a warm greenish glow, and AuP felt himself shrinking. As the room stabilized and the glow faded, AuP rushed to the hall mirror. Reflected back was a nine-year-old boy.

The spell will only last until sundown, and has altered reality to reflect your new age. AuPreviner -- The child's heart within you beats fervently. As long as it remains, you can become a child again -- but only for one day at a time. Enjoy your gift.

AuP breathed a silent word of thanks to his benefactor. "Thank you, Chigiri-sama. I will cherish it always."

He then ran out the door, heading at full speed to the nearby park. Perhaps, he thought, Margaret will still be waiting for me...

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you!

AuPreviner's picture

Chére Haylee V,

Brings back happier memories of watching Shogun with my mother before she was diagnosed with her terminal disease.

Gotta go run and play now, so thanks for such a kind, warm, and heart felt hug. You out did yourself, really!

Je te fais beaucoup de bises,

AuP


"Love is like linens; after changed the sweeter." – John Fletcher (1579–1625)

Back to the days of a more

Back to the days of a more carefree age and life? Wonderful.