Being Different Isn't So Bad Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

“Hey sis, I got the inventory completed of our stock. We’re going to need to place an order for more oil and anti-freeze. Also, we’re out of stock on a few air filters and oil filters.”

August had been assigned inventory duty by Rebecca.

“Oh, Butch called and said we wouldn’t believe the type of research our client is doing. They were so excited at what they were going to be investigating at Stonehenge. That they couldn’t wait to get off the plane.”

“What type of research does our client do?”

“They do paranormal research and they were getting excited about the disappearance of a child right in front of his parents.”

“What do you mean right in front of their parent?”

“Here, let me show you. It’s all over the web.”

August shows a video of a young boy being engulf in blue energy from the ley lines suddenly flaring over Stonehenge. The energy had picked him up off the ground and suspended him in the air for a few minutes. Then there is a bright flash and he was gone. The only thing left behind were his clothes.

“Wow! Is this video real?”

“Yes ma’am, it is real. The boy just vanished when those strange lines appeared over Stonehenge. I looked them up and they are called Ley
Lines and Stonehenge is supposed to be some sort of nexus point where a bunch of those lines past through. Not much research has been done on these lines, except by paranormal researchers like the team we rented our plane too.”

“What are these lines made of?”

“Don’t know, but according to what I read on Wikipedia, a man by the name of John Michell that he believed that a mystical network of ley lines existed across Britain and the world. I found on ebay that Time Life had done a collection of books on them.”

“Well, if it’s true, it’s true. If not, no skin off our back.”

“Well, I would like to know if they are real and what they do. It might be interesting.”

Rebecca just shakes her head and head out to the garage to work on a customer’s car. August heads into the office and logs onto the
computer and start placing their order for supplies for the shop. She goes through the bills and see which ones were going to be due soon and which ones, she could put off for a while before they needed to be paid. She checks the company account and make sure the balances they had on their books matched what the bank has listed.

August spends the next few hours writing checks and checking peoples time cards so everyone can get paid. They had a company that handle their payroll. So, she only had to enter every one’s time into the computer system. By the time she got that done, it was lunch time.

August walks into the garage to see if she could find Rebecca.

“Hey Becca, do you want to have lunch here or over at Propeller club?”

“We can have lunch at the Propeller club. I haven’t seen Robert lately and I know Carol will want to know how I’m doing.”

“Okay, do you want to walk over or take the jeep?”

“Let’s take the jeep.”

The two of them walk out to the Wiley’s jeep and take it over to the Propeller club. The club itself was setup like something from World War II for the pilots.

“Hey Robert, how is business today?”

Rebecca and August walks in together. The lights were turned down low inside the building. Behind the bar was an old man in his seventies making a drink for a customer.

“Hey Becca, how have you been? Hey August.”

“Hey Robert.”

“It’s okay. My sister has been a big help with handling things. Lev left this morning to run a load and won’t be back till Friday.”

Becca and August sit down at the bar next to each other.

“Has she now?”

Robert looks at August and couldn’t believe that this was the same girl that came to Becca months ago.

August just smiles and munches on a few peanuts.

“So, what are you girls having for lunch today?”

“I want four barbeque tacos with two corn muffins.” Becca loved Robert’s barbeque chicken tacos.

“I would like a German bomber burger with onion rings instead of fries, please.”

“You’re usual for drinks?”

“Yep.”

Robert knew Becca and August normally got sweet ice tea to go with their lunches.

“Robert, can you give me change for three dollars?”

“Sure sweetie.”

August takes three dollars out of her pants pocket and get some change for the old fashion juke box Robert had inside the club. She puts her quarters in and select three dollars’ worth of music. Most places didn’t have a juke box any more, but the Propeller club did. Robert had rebuilt it himself after it got damage from a bar fight. August had selected one of Becca’s favorite song by Pink. She selected a few more that they both liked and then one she liked.

Ever since she came to live with Rebecca and taken under her wing she has been happy. Rebecca has done nothing but treat her as a girl and make sure she behaved liked one. She misses Butch and wish he was back here already, but he still had three more days over in England. He was staying touch with her by either texting her or calling her for a short while. He promised he would bring her something back from England when he came back.

Since the Propeller Club had a dance floor, August felt kind mischievous and starts dancing to one of the songs by herself.
Becca smiles and watches her little sister. She can’t help, but to be proud of August because she has grown since coming to live with her and allowed to be who she should had been when she was born. Becca continues to watch her little sister as more people get up from their table and join August out on the dance floor.

Their food shows up after ten minutes. Becca waves over to August to come over and eat.

August notices Becca waving to her and heads over to the bar. She notices her lunch is waiting for her.

“Come on dancing queen. Your lunch is getting cold.”

August sits down next to Becca and starts eating her lunch.

up
263 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Keep 'em coming

Hey Ms Dragon,

What can I say. I'm so hooked on your story and wait each day to see if another chapter is posted. I'm sure more adventures await Becca and August et al. Can't wait.

Always a fan,

Santacruzman

Life goes on

Jamie Lee's picture

Another day in the life of the big and little sisters. Loved ones gone and missed, some return, others will be waiting for the reunion.

But first, lunch!

Others have feelings too.