Roomies - Part 12

Printer-friendly version

“Seriously? You want me to go to your cousin's wedding?”

Tina nodded. “C'mon. It'll be fun.”

“I don't know.... I just met your family and I'm not sure they've made up their mind how they feel about me... I don't want to storm into your cousin's wedding....”

Tina held up a finger. “First. You won't be 'storming in' I RSVP'd for myself and a guest.”

“I presumed you already had a guest....”

She smirked. “I did. More on that later. So technically, you're not crashing. You're my plus one. Second...” she raised another finger “my family has made up their mind about you ….well, at least my brother Frank. And Sal too I think. My mom's a sweetheart, I'm sure she already thinks of you as extended family....”

“But your Dad....” I held my own finger and gave her a wry smile.

“Oh, Daddy will be fine. You threw him by that whole Zoe thing. He's not used to being wrong. And he's sure not used to people turning the tables on him!” she beamed. “He'll brood and sulk for a while, but he'll get over it.” she laughed “actually I think he'll end up respecting you more for setting him straight... and not being a bitch about it.”

I held up a finger “IF my firewall holds and he doesn't connect Tom.” I grimaced.

“True.” she agreed. “And if he eventually twigs after getting to know you as Chloe, he just might end up being impressed by your skill at separating Chloe and Tom.... it's the kind of sneaky spy stuff he revels in. If you play it right, when the time is right, after he's made up his mind about your character, it could even end up a plus.”

“I don't see that happening.” I laughed. “I think I'll just work extra hard on the firewall.”

Tina nodded her agreement. “Best plan for now. Still, I don't think he hates you or anything.”

I nodded. He seemed more personable when I bumped into him in the hall earlier. He may not have decided I was OK, but he didn't seem to actively think I wasn't OK.

“Maybe.” I said uncertainly. “OK. They'll be cool. Maybe. But why on earth do you want ME to go with you to your cousin's wedding?”

Tina waggled her head. “Well, you are my friend.... and after last night, I feel I owe you... and after RSVPing with a plus one, showing up alone would be ...just pathetic.” She smiled weakly.

“What happened to your original plus one?” I inquired as gently as I could.

Tina scowled. “He never really committed. But then again, he never outright said 'NO'.” She blushed. “We kind of had an unrequited thing in high school... I mad crushed on him since sophomore year.... and finally I heard he had a kind of crush on me too, but he was freaked by the stories of the things my father did to boys who did try to date me.” She scowled “...most of which were true ...mostly.” Her face fell slightly. “...so... we never did happen in high school.... But when I got my invitation to Tony & Donna's wedding, I figured 'what the hell?'. I called his house and talked to his mom. I found out he was still living in the area and wasn't seeing anyone as far as she knew. She promised to pass along my invitation. ….I never heard from him, but his mother seemed to think he wanted to and promised to keep on him until he gave me an answer one way or the other.” she sighed.

“Still. He never called. I had already RSVP'd my plus one, but I didn't hear from him.”

I gave her a sympathetic look.

“....until last night.” she grimaced.

Upon my befuddled look, she smiled, but there was melancholy there. “The reason my friends dragged us to that strip-club wasn't to embarrass you...” she hesitated and flashed me a conflicted grin “...that just ended up being a bonus.”

Her grin faded at my wince. “They wanted me to see Carpenter Scott and his amazing toolbelt.” She grinned without joy.

“...so Carpenter Scott....” I began. Tina nodded.

“Scott Miller... my unrequited high school crush. Everyone in town knew he tried, but couldn't get a football or hockey scholarship... and he couldn't afford college without it, so he went to work for his step mother's construction company putting up drywall.... and before long, supplementing that income by dancing around in a toolbelt, construction boots and thong. Everyone who went to school with him knew. Hell... everyone in town knew....” she sighed.

“....But you had LEFT town.... so you didn't know....”

Tina nodded with a blush and a sad smile. “I finally understood why he never called me back.... he didn't know what to say....”

“But there was no way he was going to your cousins wedding.... with many of the people he went to school with.” I said gently. Suddenly I found myself feeling awful for the guy. For all we knew he may still have a thing for Tina... but at this point he was NOT going back to his hometown and embarrassing her by being her wedding date in front of everyone who knew what he did for a living.

Tina nodded sadly. “You should have seen his face last night when he saw me in the audience, and he knew I knew.... Well... you DID see it... but you don't remember it.... maybe all for the best.... wish I could forget the look on his face... but I know I never will.” she said quietly.

I squeezed her forearm “it sounds like he still has feelings for you..... and from the way you're talking, I don't sense you getting all judge-y and disapproving... seems like there still something there for him.” I said gently.

She nodded. “Yeah. Maybe. ….yeah.” she cracked a self-conscious smile “...still, dragging him along to meet my extended family is something I'm sure neither of us thinks is a good idea.” she flashed a bitter smirk.

“SO... wanna be my replacement plus one?” she forced a grin.

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Super short. Sorry. :-P

...but the wedding ...well, the reception with all the soap opera drama & hijinx isn't really ...polished... enough to post yet. So I figured I'd at least let folks meet Tina's high school crush....

I know there's potential with having the girl having a requited crush on a boy who is a 'making ends meet' dirty dancer... I can feel it... but it is something that will have to ...ripen... later. When the muse shows me how. ;-)

Thanks for reading and putting up with my maddeningly sporadic (especially to ME!) storytelling.

K@

When the mushrooms show me how

WillowD's picture

My mouse pointer was covering your note and I misread it. But it still makes sense. Especially if this was the '60s.

I do think the requited crush can significantly add to the story down the road. After all, he is one more character that is likely to not be judgmental.

I like these people.

WillowD's picture

"I don't sense you getting all judge-y and disapproving... seems like there still something there for him.” - I like these characters. They don't seem to judge others by societies standards and stereotypes.

Stand in

Jamie Lee's picture

Being a plus one for a wedding helps the one invited, but doesn't makeup for the person who's actually wanted for the plus one.

Tina has feelings for Scott Miller and he for her, but Tina's dad created an atmosphere which scared Scott and kept him away from Tina. Her reaction in seeing Scott working and his knowing she saw him left no doubt they still have feelings for each other.

While the work Scott does at night may be frowned upon by those believing themselves morally superior, it is not illegal. Scott is earning money so he can attend college, he isn't looking for hand outs to get him there, he's putting in what effort necessary to reach his goal. However embarrassing Scott dancing seems to him or Tina, or to anyone Scott knows, it's honest work for a lofty goal.

Others have feelings too.

I love this story.

WillowD's picture

I hope you keep up with this story. It's been a couple of months since the last chapter was published but, amazingly, I still remember it well enough that I'm still hoping the next chapter will be appear among the latest posts. Thank you for writing this.