Orphan ~ 14

Printer-friendly version

I looked down at my dress and brushed off the imaginary dust.

Gulping twice, I knocked on the door. Hearing the muffled ‘Come in,’ I opened the door and entered.


 
Orphan 14

by Susan Brown

 

I looked down at my dress and brushed off the imaginary dust.

Gulping twice, I knocked on the door. Hearing the muffled ‘Come in,’ I opened the door and entered.

In front of me, seated around the desk, was the Matron, Mr Jameson and Miss Mole lady…I mean Phipps.

‘Sit down, dear,’ said Matron.

I remembered to adjust the skirt of my dress as I sat down and saw that Matron was pleased with that. I was somewhat surprised that she was there but assumed that she was present to try to cover any bloopers that I got myself into.

Mr Jameson coughed, looked at some papers on the desk, looked up and smiled at me.

‘Now Stephanie, there’s nothing to worry about. We just want to ask you a few questions. Is that OK?’

I nodded.

‘Right, how do you like it here?’

‘It… it’s very nice.’

‘And are you treated well?’

‘Yes, everyone has been good to me.’

Miss Phipps then asked me a question.

‘Do you fit in with the other girls?’

‘Sorry?’

‘I mean do you play with them and have you made any friends yet?’

I stared at her mole as if I expected something to burst out of it. Dragging my eyes away, I looked at her hair and tried to answer her.

‘Erm…yes, I have made some friends,’

She smiled, ‘that’s good. It can be lonely without friends.’

Then it was Mr Jameson’s turn again.

‘Do you like the food?’

‘Sometimes.’

‘What don’t you like?’

‘ Well I like it that everything is with chips and baked beans, but semolina and prunes…I mean I don’t mind semolina but I hate prunes, it’s like when they put a prune in the semolina, it reminds me of a big mol…I mean a big erm crinkly lumpy thing that isn’t very nice.’

I am sure that I went red in the face and stared closely at my bare knees.

‘Stephanie?’

I looked up at Matron who was trying desperately not to smile.

‘Have you any questions to ask the governors?’

‘No thank you.’

‘Well I’m glad that you are happy here,’ said Miss Phipps, ‘Matron, has anyone enquired if Stephanie could be up for adoption yet?’

Matron looked a bit confused and then said, ‘No…not yet, she hasn’t been here long enough.’

‘Well a lovely sweet girl like this will be snapped up, I should think. Would you like to be adopted, Stephanie?’

‘I…I don’t know, I’ve just lost me parents and I don’t think…’

‘Yes, but if you had parents again, you would be happy again wouldn’t…’

‘I miss my Mum and Dad’ I said on the point of snivelling.

‘Quite right.’ Interrupted Mr Jameson, looking at Miss Phipps in a strange way, ‘time enough for that in a few months, eh?’

I nodded, sniffing, not knowing what to say.

‘We like to think that all the girls are happy here. If you have any problems, you should talk to Matron here. If she cannot help, we are always available to assist in any way we can.’

He looked through his papers again.

‘One thing Matron, I can’t find any details of Stephanie here?

‘Well. You know the council and paperwork, probably on it’s way shortly.’

‘Of course; well Stephanie, ‘said Mr Jameson, ‘thanks for the little chat. I suppose that you will be starting at the school on Monday?’

I looked enquiringly at Matron, who frowned and then said, ‘Of course, she should start then,’

‘Have you spoken to the Head Mistress yet?’

‘No, not yet; she wasn’t available earlier. I will phone her after you have gone.’

‘That’s good. OK Stephanie, run along and we’ll see what we can do about the prunes.’

They all smiled as I got up and left the room. I shut the door behind me, gave a big sigh and leaned against the door.

‘That was hard work,’ I thought, ‘don’t like the idea if school, though; what if I’m caught and what about PE and stuff? I can’t be seen undressing in front of everyone and what about me seeing girls undressing. I don’t like the idea of new parents either. Why do I want new parents anyway?’

I went upstairs to the dorm and sat on the bed. The room was empty and I wanted to think.

I picked up Teddy and looked into his eyes. I was jealous of him. He didn’t have to pretend to be something or someone different. He didn’t have to wear clothes that made him think he was a girl teddy…he didn’t wear any clothes, lucky thing. Hang on; does that mean Teddy could be a she? I looked closely between the legs. Nope, no sign of a willy. Then I went all red thinking about what I had just thought and put him or perhaps even her back on the pillow, made sure that his/her legs were straight and was comfy and then I got up and looked out of the window.

‘What name could I call a girl teddy,’ I pondered, ‘Tedina perhaps?’

I was distracted from my thoughts as I could see that the governors were leaving and Matron was shaking their hands, They went over to where the cars were parked and I was more than a bit surprised to see Mr Jameson getting into the Mini and Miss Phipps the flashy Cortina!

Mr Jameson drove off first, rather slowly and carefully I thought and Miss Phipps followed, her wheels spinning on the gravel of the drive as she shot off like a girl racer…fancy that!

I heard footsteps running up the stairs. Tracy burst in and ran over to my bed.

‘Well. How did it go? Was you caught out, did they find out that you are a boy? Are you in trouble, tell me then, don’t stay quiet.’

I turned away from the window.

‘They were very nice.’

‘But did they know about…you know…your erm situation?’

‘No, they just asked me a few questions about if I like it here and then they let me go…Oh they did mention that I would have to start school on Monday.’

‘Ooh, that’s heavy. Mind you it’s not a bad school, they only cane you every other day and you do get bread and water for lunch if you’ve done all your homework.’

‘WHAT!’

She giggled.

‘Got you!’

‘Tracy, don’t do that, I’m all of a quiver now.’

‘Sorry Steph; nah it’s not a bad place and once you get over wearing the hideous uniform, you should like it.’

‘What about changing in front of other girls for games…PE and stuff.’

‘Oh no need to worry about that. They have individual changing rooms and they don’t approve of public nudity for the gells.’

I sighed with relief. I was doing a lot of that. I didn’t know of my nerves could take much more and once again, I envied Teddy for his or her laidback lifestyle.

‘They did ask if I was going to be put up for adoption.’

‘Oh, they always do that, they can’t wait to be shot of you really so that they can fill up your space with a new kid. They’ve tried it on me a couple of times, but no ones nuts enough to have me. Anyway, enough of that rubbish, fancy a Pepsi and KitKat?’

My mouth started watering at the thought and I just nodded and we went downstairs to the kitchen.

In no time, I was sitting at a Formica table, sucking on a straw and watching Rachel and Phillipa knocking the hell out of a ping-pong ball whilst playing a game of table tennis on a shaky and well-worn table.

Looking at the girls laughing and talking around me, I was pleased that I was accepted by them. I just hoped that things would settle down now. Then I remembered that I had to go to school on Monday, as a girl, wearing that weird uniform and my heart sunk like a stone. Would I get away with it and what would happen if anyone found out?

Angel

To be continued...

This is written in free form so there are probably tons of mistakes...never mind no one's perfect!

Puuleaaase leave comments, ta very muchlie....

up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Orphan-14

Is another excellent chapter in Stephanie's life. It will be interesting to see if her secret is found out and the reactions to her secret.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Uniforms

joannebarbarella's picture

I can remember when I was a schoolkid, the Catholic girls' school had this really weird uniform with skirts just about down to their ankles and strange blazers with stripes and big shapeless hats. For sports they wore huge baggy shorts with buttons down the sides of the legs which were below their knees, and a kind of tunic top which buttoned up to the neck and had long sleeves. Poor kids, we used to tease them something rotten. Someone's funny ideas of modesty and propriety I suppose. You could hardly recognise those girls when they were out in fashionable gear and we didn't tease them then. We trailed after them, drooling!
Joanne

Um, 13 and 14 posted together and in reverse order

Oh well,

13 was a good lead in to 14, just the order is weird.

But question at the end of 13 is still ahnging over our hero/heroine, why does he feels comfortable in girls clothes after a couple days yet wasn't attracted to them before? Just stress, needing a friend desparately with his parents gone or something else?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

13 Previously Posted

John,

13 was previously posted. I don't know if this is an updated version or not.

Arwen

Oooops!

Sorry for the mix up. I copied and pasted when I should'nt have.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Hugs
Sue

Way to go Teddy!

Now Teddy's gender is on the agenda... he-bear or she-bear? Tedy perhaps you could whisper the truth to your young master or mistress during the night...

Another good chapter with funny things happening. I just loved it!

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Interesting dilemmas

Steph will have a problem being adopted as an adopter who wants a girl will like her and may not do so since she is in reality a he. She may have some trans-something issue also by the time somebody would want to adopt him/her.

Very engaging, and I am sure Sue will ably cut this Gordian Knot in smart fashion :).

I like the pacing but I know, based on Sue's previous writings, she tends to tie up a story rather quickly and I do request that she does so in a more sedate manner. That way our protagonist does not go from being a desperate state, to being all of a sudden finding a loving adopting family and then to living happily ever after in the space of 1 page.

The latter is a bit of an exaggeration but a good wind down to a serial story gives the reader a better sense of closure.

Kim

It's interesting how you...

... keep introducing new "issues" for Stephanie to muddle through. :-)

I liked the short interview. Glad there was no "Please sir, I want some more." :-) *giggles*

BTW - my first story here, was written and self edited. It was fun to write & post. Getting quick feedback was nice too.

Annette

How come ...

... teddies have got away with being so gender amorphous for so long when the rest of us have such a hard time?
You know, I never thought about this.
Gosh.
There's a whole story in some little kid just trying to be sure of their teddy's gender.
Heck, you've even got me wondering about the gender of Ford Cortinas.
Brilliant.

XX
AD

Paperwork

Things could get interesting if the governors decide they want to see Steph's paperwork - would they continue to claim it hadn't arrived yet, or would they ask the council to rewrite their assessments to fit in with Steph's apparent gender.

Still, if Miss Phipps does try pushing the adoption issue, Steph might have to learn a few 'tricks of the trade' from Tracy.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Matron

Sammi's picture

could have cut Miss Phipps down by simply saying something like
'Have some compassion, the child has only been here for a few days, due to being recently orphaned!'


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Mmmmm ....

Sammi's picture

Big question for Steph '‘What name could I call a girl teddy,’ I pondered' she could get the bear a pink belt and call the bear Teddie Rosie Belt.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx