Dreams of Dancing in the Sky -Part 8

Printer-friendly version


Dreams of dancing in the Sky

Jordan Price was like most boys on New Holland. He dreamed of dancing in the sky like the Sky Dancers. To fly among the clouds under his own power. There is only one problem. Only women could be Sky Dancers, and Jordan was a boy. Then came the day that would all change


Chapter 29
Battle Platform Ryuk, Outer edge of the New Holland system.

The Empress Maiha sat on her throne looking down at the person in front of her. Maiha was not pleased to say the least. Then again, whenever Maiha dealt with anyone from the Amazon people she was in a bad mood. The idea of using genetic engineering to chase the idea of a super race of humans was just too aggravating for most people. To Maiha it was an insult. The problem was the planet they came from was protected under the clone laws. The other problem was you couldn’t tell the difference between their sexes, until they gave you their names. And with the High Families wanting to keep their oh so precious genetic purity, none of their Parliament reps weren’t about to change the laws.

“Very well, what is it that you want, Lord Cologne? My time is at a premium right now.” Maiha growled.

The Amazon looked at Maiha with barely concealed contempt. “My planet’s mines on New Holland have been attacked four times in the last two years. What are you doing to put an end to these attacks, Empress?”

The fact that Ambassador Cologne was basically demanding Maiha give her answers that the ambassador’s planet wasn’t privileged to, took Alice placing her hand on Maiha’s shoulder to stop her wife from killing the Amazon. Alice intervened “Ambassador Cologne, I suggest you adjust your attitude before you lose that pretty head of yours.”

The none to suitable threat had the desired effect. The six-foot eight Amazon blanched at the thought of dying on the Battle Platform. He had forgotten Empress Maiha’s legendary short temper. Swallowing his pride, the Ambassador bowed deeply at the waist. “Forgive my abrasiveness, Empress.”

“You’re forgiven Ambassador, just remember that EVERYONE is held accountable for their words in the royal court. Even the Empress herself.” Alice pointed out.

“I shall remember Princess Alison.” Cologne knew that he would remember. The stories of the Empress Maiha’s temper had more than a little truth to them. Bowing once more the Ambassador started over. “My planets High Families are worried over their investments in four of the mines on New Holland. In the past two years seven registered ore carriers have been taken by pirates, while the four cloud cities themselves have been repeatedly harassed. All to the tune of more than ninety million Imperial gold credits. The Sky Dancers are no longer effective against the pirates and are now in a civil war. I have been sent here to find out what you plan to do about this deplorable situation?”

Maiha struggled to control her temper. The arrogance of the Amazon was more than enough to piss Maiha off on most days, but she had just started her monthly cycle and wasn’t in a good mood. To say her legendary temper was short during this time would be to say the ice fields of Bitter frost were warm.

“Let me be extremely clear on this Ambassador.” The growl in Maiha’s voice made Alice wince. She just knew that her wife was about to blast the Amazon with her PPC. “The matters on New Holland are being handled. YOUR planet’s government has no say in HOW another planet handles THEIR internal problems. Just as they have no RIGHT to make demands of me. Am I perfectly clear?”

“Your Majesty, I must insist that you reveal your plans on how you plan to deal with these threats to our crystal mines.” The moment the words left Ambassador Cologne’s mouth Maiha left her throne.

Grabbing the Amazon by the neck Maiha extended her combat blades in her left arm. Hissing in the Ambassador’s face. “You are less than two seconds from death you over indulged prima donna bitch. I do not answer to you or your fracking government. They and you answer to me.”

Throwing the Amazon Ambassador across the room towards the door. Maiha gave an order to the guards stationed there. “Get that person off this ship.”

The two Death Dealers saluted and grabbed the Ambassador by the arms. As he was being pulled from the throne room the Ambassador made a mistake. One that could very well coast the Ambassador his life. “You’ll pay for ignoring the Amazon people and their rights, Nakatoma.”

The words had no sooner left the Ambassador’s mouth than the guards started pounding the shit out of him. Maiha’s voice cut through the room. “Enough. Bring that piece of crap over here.”

The two Death Dealers dragged the Amazon over to Maiha. Looking down at the beaten person Maiha let her anger fill her voice. “You just came very close to a death sentence, Cologne. That last person to make a death threat towards the Crown is now nothing more than atomic ash. Take this as a warning back to your people. The High Families of any planet do not dictate to the Royal House. Nor do they make demands of the Royal House. Get this through that block of ferrous fiber armor you call a mind. The next time one of your Ambassadors shows up in my Court acting the way you have here today, I’ll just be sending back their head. Guards carry out your orders and get this bitch out of my sight.”

The two Death Dealers dragged the Ambassador from the Royal Throne room. Maiha sat back down and sighed. Alice could tell that the meeting had affected her wife greatly. “What is wrong Maiha? I’ve never seen you lose control with an ambassador like that before. Sure, I know he was an Amazon and they are all total assholes. What just happened was way out of the ordinary, even for you.”

The sigh that escaped Maiha this time was one not of anger, but sadness. “You’re right love. I hate that it happened in the first place. But that ambassador was pushing me for a military solution to a civil problem. yes, I know that the cloud cities and mines have been being harassed by the pirates. I know that the Sky Dancers have been slowly out gunned over the last three years. I know that the pirates on New Holland have pretty much gotten the upper hand. I know that the High Families have been exerting their influence inside of the Sky Dancers and their Council. I know that the four Amazon sponsored cities and mines have been hit the hardest, but I also know that those cities happen to be specialty mines, not just straight crystal mines. Those four mine companies only go after the purple crystals. The Amazon gene facilities are powered by those crystals. In short, their whole race depends on those crystals. No purple, no new Amazons.”

“Damn. No wonder they’re so hot for you to use a military solution here, and get rid of the Sky Dancers.” Alice looked over at Maiha. “I noticed that you didn’t inform the good ambassador that you already had a military response to the pirates in place. Why is that?”

“I knew that if Ambassador Cologne knew about the Navy already being in place he would have pushed to have the Sky Dancers removed. I am not about to step in on how a planet runs its own government. I will also not allow another planet within our Empire to force THEIR way of governing onto another. That has been one of the founding principles of the Empire from the time we first left Earth Prime. That every planet has the right to govern themselves as they see fit so long as they adhere to the laws of the Empire. Do I like it, the answer is no, but I will enforce the laws of the individual planets. That person wants me to usurp the laws of New Holland, something that I will not do.” The anger had returned to Maiha’s voice. “Just as I will not force the Amazons to stop their cloning, as it is protected by the laws of their planet. The Sky Dancers and their Council are protected by the laws of New Holland.”

“So, you losing your temper had more to do with it being that time of the month and the Ambassador being a pompous ass. One who just had to go and piss in your cornflakes too, far too, early in the morning. Does that about sum things up?” Alice asked with a chuckle in her voice.

“Pretty much love.” Maiha stood up from her throne and helped Alice up from hers. “You know how much I hate dealing with bullshit before I’ve even had my morning coffee.” Turning to look at the closed doors of the throne room Maiha sighed. “I could not believe that the Amazon would even believe they could make demands like that. You would think that they would have learned by now.”

“Love, I have a feeling that sooner or later, we’re going to have to face off against the Amazons. They’re never going to just sit back and allow us to implement the changes that you want.” Alice knew that Maiha didn’t want to hear what she had to say. Even if it was the truth.

Maiha breathed deeply to calm herself before answering. “I know Alice, but I don’t have to fracking like it.”

“Then what has you so on edge about the pirates on New Holland?” Alice had sensed the razor edge of Maiha’s emotions. “What is it that you think we’re missing?”

“Someone has been backing those pirates, Alice. And it hasn’t been just one High Family. It’s been a planetary government. One that has been trying its damnedest to push through new gene and cloning laws. The problem has been proving what we know. Without the evidence all I have is pure speculation. What I need is for one of those pirate platforms to be captured.” Maiha got a very thoughtful look on her face as she said this last part.

“What are you planning love?” Alice asked with a sly smile.

“Now, why would you ask something like that Alice?” the look of innocence on Maiha’s face didn’t match with the reputation of the most feared hellion in the Empire. At the dirty look from Alice, Maiha gave in. “Okay, Alice I do have a plan. One that revolves around Jordan Price and her Thunder Hawks. I just hope that the Fleet brought her enough time. Because if they haven’t then those fracking Amazons will be making their big push for taking over New Holland.”

“Are you telling me that the Amazons are the ones behind the pirates?” Alice asked.

“The information that Gina recovered from that one platform pointed towards that yes. The problem has been finding enough evidence to back it up. I know those sections cost more than half a million apiece or more. Someone had to put up the original cost of those platform sections. The problem has been every time one of our ships engages those pirate platforms they self destruct or go down in pieces.” Maiha had read the battle reports more than once. All in the hopes of finding a way to attack those platforms without losing them.

“Is that why you have the Knights of Ida-ten pushing the training for the Thunder Hawks so hard? To be able to capture one of those platforms?” Alice asked.

“Oh yes, Alice. And I believe that they are the perfect force for taking down one of those platforms. The Sky Dancers are fast, nimble, and strong making them prefect for attacking airborne platforms such as these. The Thunder Hawks though make Sky Dancers look like children in comparison. If, and this is a big if, the pirate platforms are to be captured intact then they will need that training.”

“Will they have time? And will their training be enough?” Alice questioned.

“To be honest love.” Maiha sighed as she looked out the window of her throne room. “I just don’t know. The Sky Dancer society was never a true military force. They never been more than peacekeepers. They only time they truly fought someone was during the pirate attacks. Even then they did so more to drive them off. The Sky Dancer symbionts may have come from true predators, but over the years the women who have bonded with those powerful creatures did only one thing. They denied their emotions and instincts. If they hadn’t done so the Sky Dancers wouldn’t be in the position they are in now.”

“Is that why you sent Reverend Mother Katsumi to help Jordan Price?” the smile of predatory glee that crossed Maiha’s face was all the answer Alice needed. “You know something love? If I didn’t know better, I would swear you were taking lessons from mom on how to be infuriating.”

Chapter 30
Pirate platform 3 the Black Watch…

The battle for the pirate platform lasted no more than four hours. Just as Admiral David Saint-James, predicted without their ships to defend the platform, the regular everyday personal were no match for his Marines. When the satellite images were shown to him two days ago he knew the time to strike was now. He had done what that Holts hadn’t. He had captured one of the pirate bases almost intact.

That he had defied orders to do it, was beside the point. He had kept his promise to his Family Head to capture one of the pirate platforms. With that accomplishment he had secured his place in both planet and Family history. Thankfully those pesky Daughters of the Four Winds had been at the Temple of Ida-ten when he left Neo Geleen port at high speed. Not that he cared, they had just refused to die. Every attempt that had been made to make their deaths look like an accident had failed.

How the one had spotted the poorly secured boarding ramp still confounded him and his XO. Then there was the crane failure that should have dropped ten tons of supplies on top of them. The heavy freight container dropped as it should have but the Four Winds just stepped out of the way. Like it wasn’t even there. The failed attempt by local street thugs had been an exercise in futility. He put those thoughts aside as his XO approached.

“Okay, Number One, what do you have for me?”

Reading from the tablet in his hand, the XO gave Saint-James the after-action report. “Sir, at present we have nine-hundred and forty-seven prisoners, and two-hundred and eleven dead among the platform crew. We suffered twenty-two deaths and sixty-one wounded among our Marines. Out of the fighters, we lost fifteen to enemy fire. As far as the platform’s defense’s go they are mostly still intact. The strike against the central control center disabled the automated targeting system. Our engineers should be able to repair it in a matter of a few hours.”

“Did you say we have close to a thousand prisoners?” Saint-James couldn’t believe what he had heard. “You have to be mistaken XO.”

“No sir, I double checked. We do indeed have nine-hundred and forty-seven prisoners. That number could very well climb, sir. The Marines are still in the process of mopping up. There are sections that haven’t yet been cleared or secured. At the current rate we very well could top a thousand prisoners before the platform is totally secured.” The smugness in his XO’s voice told Saint-James all he needed to know. They had truly succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

Not thinking twice about his next order Saint-James smiled. “Prepare one of those light cargo dropships for transporting the prisoners. They’ll start repaying for their crimes of piracy right here on New Holland. I figure they can operate a deep dive crab. If not then it will be a better death than becoming a High Priest sub-unit. Besides, I highly doubt that any of them are fitting candidates for the process, or possess the needed mental capacity to become a High Priest.”

“Normally I would agree with you sir.” Saint-James looked over at his XO. “I would suggest that we still perform the required testing. We would be remiss in our duties if we failed to do so.”

There was something in his XO’s voice that grabbed Saint-James attention. “Alright, Number One, what has you so worried?”

“Permission to speak freely sir?”

“Granted.”

“Sir, with close to a thousand prisoners the Empress will find out. If we fail to follow standards, we could very well incur her wrath.” The XO took a deep breath. “We already have her eye as it is. Those cyborg bitches made that abundantly clear.”

It was true that Saint-James was being looked at hard by the Empress. He knew that already. “Very well, perform the needed tests.”

“Yes, sir.”

Then as the XO turned to leave Saint-James had a thought. “Question Number One. Doesn’t planetary law supersede Empyreal Law in matters such as this?”

It took the XO a few minutes to look up the needed information. “In this case sir, the answer is yes. It seems that New Holland has a much steeper penalty for piracy and conspiracy to commit piracy. Why do you ask sir?”

“Because we’re going to use planetary law to punish these criminals.” The sly smile that graced Saint-James mouth let the XO know that he was up to more than just side-stepping the Empress’s decrees. “Think about it Number One. Close to one thousand criminals all convicted of piracy. Do you know what the planetary law penalty is for that crime?”

“No, sir, not really. Why?”

“Forfeiture of all rights, and privileges within the law. If you are found guilty of piracy on New Holland you can be sentenced to a life of slavery legally, and sold to the highest bidder. That is just the start.” Saint-James started to rub his hands together. “As the commanding officer of the force that captured them, and the platform I hold all rights to them and the base.”

“Sir how is that?”

“Under the laws of New Holland this platform was taken by us in a lawful military action. Thus placing it and its crew in our possession.” The blank look on his XO’s face forced Saint-James to explain further. “Under New Holland law penial slavery is legal. ALL of those prisoners are now nothing more than slaves by local law. As the CO and XO of the military force that captured them WE own them. WE can sell them to whoever WE see fit. SO long as we partial out a percentage to our crew and Marines under the Prize Laws of the system. Which by the way breaks down the total sale in the following amounts. Captains receive a twentieth percent. The XO receives the same. All other officers and senior NCOs receive a tenth of percent. Junior NCOs and enlisted all receive a fifth of a percent”

The XO for the Super Carrier North Wind could not believe what his commanding officer just said. Quickly accessing the planetary law database the young man searched the laws and penalties covered under New Holland laws. Within seconds he found what his CO was talking about. They really could own every last person that had manned the pirate platform, and the platform itself. All they had to do was take command of the central command center. Which had already been cleared by the Marines. All Saint-James had to do was walk into the unit and take the ‘helm’.

Clearing his throat the Xo smiled at Saint-James as the possibility of riches danced behind his eyes. “Sir, I suggest that we headed for their bridge. By law to take this platform as a prize we need to take the helm.”

The two men smiled at each other then headed for the command center. Little did the two know that their whole conversation had been witnessed and recorded. Four shadowy figures raced ahead of them. The Daughters of the Four Winds had spent the last twenty-four hours cloaked aboard the North Wind gathering the evidence of David Saint-James’ treason. Now, they had all they needed to carry out their orders.

There would be no need for a trial for these two men. They had condemned themselves by their very own words and now actions. The sentence was death. Daniela and the others reached the command center well ahead of Saint-James and his XO with their six-man Marine escort. Once there they took up places around the room and recloaked to await their quarries arrival.

Saint-James cockily walked into the command center. He was the master of all he surveyed and not even the Empress could stop what he was about to do. Stepping up to the central computer he called out. “In the name of the Empire I claim this station and all its occupants as prize, under the laws of New Holland.”

Daniela steeped away from the wall where she taken up position. Decloaking Daniela smiled behind her helmet’s visor. “Thank you, so much for sealing your fate, Saint-James. By order of her Majesty, the Empress Maiha I hereby sentence you to death for the crime of High Treason.”

To say that Saint-James and his XO were shocked to see the Empress’ advisor and Daughter of the Dragon was an understatement. Saint-James was the first to find his voice. “Where the frack did you come?”

“We’ve been here the whole time Saint-James. Right behind you the entire time. Watching, waiting, recording every move, and command you have made. You have a choice to make sir. Face her Majesty’s justice in a court of law, or fight being declared Outlaws.” Daniela knew that the last option was not a real one, but felt that she should at least point it out to the man. Not that either option was little more than a death sentence. One would just be quicker and less painful.

Daniela and the rest of the Four Winds didn’t have long to wait for Saint-James’ answer. Nor were they really surprised by it either. “Kill this abomination!”

As the six-man Marine security team raised their weapons Lisa, Sara, and Cassidy dropped their cloaks and struck. The six men never knew what hit them as the three swords flashed with blinding speed removing heads form necks. Daniela just stood still as Saint-James and his XO stood there in total disbelief at the cold efficacy with which the four women killed. They had never before witnessed such cold and uncaring killing in all their long military careers. They knew that death happened when Naval Class dropships engaged in battle, they had seen it as young officers.

They had also seen death during peace time operations. They had learned the hard lessons that deep space could kill at any time. Yet, despite having seen all that, and learning those harsh lessons, never had they faced death on the battlefield. Not until now, did they truly understand that death could be personal and cold. From the bodies of their Marine escorts to Daniela the two men finally grasped the moment of their deaths was at hand.

Daniela slowly pulled her katana from its scabbard. Standing before them she calmly asked. “Any last words before I carry out your sentence, gentlemen?”

Saint-James knew that this was his last chance to justify his actions decided to try and sway these cold-blooded killers to his side. “I was merely following the laws of New Holland. I was well within my rights to claim this platform as prize for myself and my crew. We deserve something for capturing this platform.”

“That is where you are wrong Saint-James. Those laws were put in place for civilian use, and only apply to citizens of New Holland. Which, you and your crew are neither. Before you try to argue that you are a New Holland citizen, let me remind you of your service oath. You pledged your life to the Empire until you retire or leave the service of the Empyreal Navy. Which you have done neither. Therefore, you have committed an act of High Treason. Next argument?”

Saint-James knew that he was beat at that point. Looking over at his XO who already fallen to his knees Saint-James joined him while looking up at Daniela. “They say that only those who have died at your hands, and the Empress have seen your faces. The least you can do is remove your helmets. I would rather face death at hands of cyborg trash, than a faceless bitch.”

Daniela was sorely tempted to ignore the request, but personal honor dictated that she honor it. “Very well, David Saint-James, you shall see the face of your executioner. Remove your helmets sisters.”

As one three of the four women reached up and removed their helmets. Once this was done Daniela followed suit. Saint-James and his XO both turned white at seeing her face. A face they both knew extremely well. A face that shouldn’t be above ground. It was the face of a ghost returned to hand out vengeance or justice, they knew not which anymore. Everyone knew that Princess Daniela Dan was dead, but here she stood before them with a katana in her hand ready to take their heads.

Saint-James regained his voice first, and it was filled with both fear, and amazement. “You’re dead. I read the reports.”

“How can you still be alive?” His XO questioned.

“Oh the reports of my death are true gentlemen. The Princess Daniela Dan died that terrible day on Hades. Just as we all did that day. Now, you face the Hand of the Empress and we are here to carry out her justice.” Daniela had stepped around to stand to the right of Saint-James, while Lisa had taken up a place to the left side of his XO. “Are you ready to face your eternal reward sirs?”

Both men knew that nothing more could be said to stop the four women from killing them. They had by their own words and actions condemned themselves to this fate. Daniela and Lisa both raised their swords into a striking position, and waited for the men to answer the question. Finally, Saint-James nodded his head to be followed by his XO. As one the two women brought their swords down through the back of their necks, severing their heads from their bodies.

As the two heads rolled across the floor Daniela sighed, then pulled a silken cloth from her belt. Wiping the blood from her katana she handed the red cloth to Lisa so she could do the same. The cloth was passed from one Daughter of the Four Winds to the next until it finally returned to Daniela. Replacing the cloth in her belt Daniela bent down and pulled the radio from the XO’s belt.

Pressing the transmit key Daniela contacted the next person in the chain of command. “Commodore Reilly, come in please? Over”

“Commodore Reilly here. Who is this? Over”

“Captain Daniela of the Royal Guards, Over.”

“Authenticate, Over”

Pulling up the needed information from her AI Daniela responded. “I authenticate Blue Rain. Over”

“Yellow Clouds. How may I be of service Captain? Over”

“You can send a detachment of Marines to recover the bodies of Admiral Saint-James, his XO, and their escort. Over”

The blunt statement of facts must have thrown the third in command for a loop. “Did you say reclaim the bodies of the Admiral and his XO? Over”

“That is a roger, Commodore. All eight of them are dead. The Admiral and his XO were executed by myself and my fellow Royal Guards on the grounds of High Treason. We have proof of the treason sir. Over”

A few second later the Commodore answered back. “I have a squad of Marines on route to your location now, Captain. They should be there five minutes. Please stand by to be escorted to the bridge of the North Wind for answers. Over”

“Understood, Captain Daniela. Out” Daniela and the others knew that they would have to answer a few questions for what they had done here. Not that it would matter in the long run. They received their orders from the Empress, and had carried them out. they had tried to steer the man back onto the correct path, but had failed in doing so. Saint-James was just too arrogant for his own good.

Replacing their helmets the four sisters looked at each other. Daniela was the first to speak. “Well, it seems that we’ll be filling out the paperwork after all.”

“Like my dad always says, the job ain’t done until the paperwork gets pushed through. Not that it is going to matter. We have enough evidence against those two to cover us.” Lisa sighed. “Shit, we got enough for a novice investigator to put them down. If Reilly can’t see that then he has to be in on Saint-James’ plans.”

“Not true, Lisa.” The other three looked over at Sara. “Remember, we were sent here by her Majesty to investigate the corruption in the Sky Dancer Council first. That led us to the corruption among the fleet. Which led us this shit for brains.”

“She is telling the truth.” Cassidy pointed out quickly. “So far we’ve been able to take care of only half the problem. The rest of it is in Jordan Price’s hands.”

“Then may the Goddess give her strength. Because she is going to need it.” Daniela said just as the Marine squad entered the room. “Come on, let’s let the corpsmen do their job and get out of their way.”

Chapter 31
Arena Glass, Neo Geleen…

Sisters Sara and Katlyn stood off to one side as Thunder Hawk Jessica White drilled her Wing and the other four Wings that had been left behind by Jordan. Jessica had been placed in charge during Jordan’s absence, and the young teenage woman was nervous. It had taken the two sisters of the Nightingale two days to calm the girl. This was the first real practice in two days for the Wings that had remained behind. As the two nuns watched their attention was drawn to three people who entered the arena from the southern entrance.

The Abbot for the Brothers of Balance and two Deacons from the Temple Guardians. One from the Children of Mars, the other was a Knight of Saint George. From their baring and determined pace both nuns knew something was wrong. Without a second thought they hurried to intercept the three new comers. Bowing from the waste Sara took the lead and greeted the Abbot.

“Welcome lord Abbot. How may we be of service?”

“We’ve come to talk with the Thunder Hawk known as Jordan Price sister. Where is she?” The Abbot answered rather courtly.

“Sir, she is not here at this time. She is still in transit from Neo Amsterdam. Perhaps we may be of service?” Kathlyn said trying to redirect the Abbot’s attention to her and Sara over Jessica.

The Abbot could tell what the young nun was trying to do. “Then I will talk to whoever she has left in charge. Where is the Thunder Hawks next in command?”

There was no way that either Sara or Kathlyn could avoid the problem any more. The Abbot had basically ordered them to lead him to Jessica White. “Right this way lord Abbot. Jessica White will be with you shortly. She has one last Wing to run through the exercise and then she can give you her full attention.”

Turning to Sara the Abbot smiled. “Thank you, Sister Sara. I know that you do not want to disrupt your charges training but it must be done.”

Kathlyn decided to find out what was so important after hearing this. “Excuse me, Lord Abbot, but why would you disrupt our charges training? You and the Brotherhood of Balance have stayed out of the matters concerning the Thunder Hawks. Only once stepping in to help Jordan Price and her family to reconcile.”

“We have received reports from the Super Carrier North Wind. They have captured the remaining pirate platform. That is the good news. The bad news is that the pirate fleet belonging to that platform had already disembarked. Where they are going is still unknow to us. We can only hazard to guess their final destination. We also have no information on the size of the pirate fleet or its make up.”

The more the two nuns heard the less they liked. Sara was the first to question the Abbot. “Lord Abbot, please tell that you don’t believe Neo Geleen is their target?”

“I wish that I could sister.” The Abbot sighed. “The docks currently have four Monolith class dropships filled to the brim with grade one, class A, Casper Crystals. According to the mine records the crystals range in color from the blood reds to midnight blacks. A grand total of over twelve hundred tons, with one ship filled solely with midnight blacks. Four hundred tons of midnight blacks for the Orion system. There is also one ship loaded with nothing but royal purple crystals for the Amazon system. Those two ships must not be hijacked or captured by pirates.”

This was news to the two nuns and they didn’t understand the importance of the two ships and their cargo. Seeing this the Abbot quickly explained. “When Neo Geleen was attacked and lost their Sky Dancer Queen, the pirates managed to capture two ships with the exact same cargos. Those two ships almost cost Neo Geleen their freedom.” When Sara didn’t understand the last part Kathlyn decided to spare the Abbot.

“Sister Sara, Neo Geleen is an independent mining city. The loss of those two shipments could have bankrupted the mines and thereby the city itself. Neo Geleen is most likely under contract to both Orion and Amazon for suppling those particular crystals. Failure to deliver on the contract and either of those planets can step in and seize the city along with the mines.” Looking over at the Abbot Kathlyn asked the most important quest of the day. “Have either of those two planets filled for ownership under the seizure clause yet?”

“The city has been able to avoid that so far. Thankfully the last loads of crystals left here unmolested. Those shipments were enough to keep the city and mines solvent and out of bankruptcy. That will not be the case if they lose these next shipments.”

The Abbot’s answer was all Kathlyn needed to hear to understand just how dire the situation was for Neo Geleen. The Abbot as the local representative for the Brotherhood of Balance would be forced to ensure that the mines and the city complied with the notice of seizure. In short, if those dropships were highjacked or raided for their crystal cargos the mines and city would become the property of either Orion and Amazon. Only one of which was a halfway decent proposal.

“And now that most of the Fleet has gone off in search of that last platform Neo Geleen is basically defenseless. With the exception of the Thunder Hawks, PDF fighter force, and what the Knights of Ida-ten can put in the air. So, with this in mind you came down here on behalf of the city elders to see what kind of defense the Thunder Hawks can or will provide.” Sara said summing up the situation.

When the Abbot went to correct the upstart attitude of the Nightingale Sister the Deacon for the Children of Mars spoke up. “You have a very unique grasp of the facts Sister Sara. Yes, that is exactly why we are here. Are the Thunder Hawks ready for the kind of fight that may be headed our way?”

Sara looked over at the Deacon and thought about what he was asking. With this in mind she answered the only way she could, honestly. “Who can say sir. Is anyone really ready to take the life of another. As for wither or not they’ll fight that is another matter entirely. The Thunder Hawks will perform their solemn duties to this city and any other they are stationed at to the fullest of their abilities.”

The Abbot seized on this answer. “Then they will fight to defend the city?”

Before either Sara or Kathlyn could answer the Abbot an angry voice came from behind the man. “MY sisters and I will die to the last for this city. Just as every Sky Dancer has since our founding, Priest. Now, get the frack out of my FLIGHT’s arena before I turn you into so much ash.”

The Abbot and two Deacons turned to face the young woman who had threated them. Only Sara and Kathlyn had seen Jessica approach. The crackle of lighting between the young woman’s hands showed her displeasure and annoyance with the three men.

“Flight Leader Jordan Price left me in charge of the Thunder Hawk Flight Abbot, not the Nightingale Sisters. Our small Flight has grown beyond needing the protection of your Temple. I suggest that you remember this the next time. As for you performing your duties to the city elders return to them and inform them that we will not shirk our duties now, or ever. No matter how little our numbers, Thunder Hawks are still Sky Dancers now and forever.” Jessica White didn’t know where the courage came from to stand up to the three Temple elders, but she wasn’t going to question it as she let her feelings fill her voice. Pointing at the Wings hovering overhead she drove the point home. “There is all the proof you shall ever need. When danger threatens OUR cities, we take to the skies.”

With that Jessica launched herself sky ward and with a few strokes of her wings joined her Wing and the rest of the Flight. Calling down at the top of her voice. “What shall the Temple of Ida-ten do when the pirates come?! Stand idly by while we fight and die? Or will you join us in putting an end to this scourge that has plagued our planet for more than three centuries?”

After throwing down the challenge Jessica didn’t wait for their answer. She just flew higher into the sky with the remaining Wings of the Thunder Hawk Flight hot on her heels. With just the last thirty members of the Flight behind her Jessica had a fighting force far greater than any of them realized. One that would be put to the test, far sooner than anyone would believe. The sounds of a warning claxon rang out across the city center and all around. Everyone knew what the sound was and what it meant for the city. The pirates had returned.

Chapter 32
Attack on Neo Geleen, and revenge of the Thunder Hanks.

Jessica and the Flight had just cleared the outer edge of the city when the first tones of warning reached them. Almost as one the thirty remaining members of the Thunder Hawk Flight turned towards the city and started to scan the skies. The first thing that Jessica spotted was a lone SST on fast approach coming from the direction of Neo Amsterdam. The next thing she spotted was the six heavy cruiser class Raider dropships coming from the last reported position of the remaining pirate platform.

It was those six ships that were Jessica’s main concern. Jessica needed a battle plan for handling all six ships at once. The problem was she just didn’t have the forces to handle all six ships. The training she had received along with the other Thunder Hawks had always been to attack in groups no smaller than Sections. For anything the size of those ships they had been drilled to attack only in Wing size formations as an entire Flight.

Her attention was drawn back to the SST as it passed close to her formation. From the rear of the craft four dark winged figures fell, to be followed by one gold and two blue figures. Even before they were fully in sight Jessica knew that Jordan Price had returned. And with her return a ray of hope.

“Alpha Lead to Flight Lead, Over” Jessica said over her combat channel.

“Flight Lead to Alpha Lead, I see that you have arranged a welcoming home party for me. Over” came Jordan’s reply over the speakers in Jessica’s helmet.

Jessica want to shout for joy at hearing Jordan’s voice, but kept her cool. “WE thought that you would need something for stress relief after dealing with our mothers. Over”

“Well, you didn’t need to go to all the trouble of arranging a pirate attack Alpha. A simple day at the spa would have sufficed. Over”

“Sorry Flight Lead, but we couldn’t get any reservations at the spa. So, we did the next best thing. Massed pirate attack. Any ideas on how to handle this boss? Over”

It took Jordan a few seconds to take in the whole picture before she came up with an attack plan. Something she had been doing from the moment she and India Wing had left the SST. “I have a plan Alpha, but the Wings aren’t going to like it. Over”

When Jessica heard this, she knew that Jordan was being honest. So, did the other Wing Leaders. “Go ahead and give it to us boss, Over.”

“I know this is going to sound crazy, but have any of you ever watched a swarm of hex-bees defend their nest?” Jordan waited as almost every Thunder Hawk answered yes. It was something every boy on New Holland was very familiar with. Usually on a very painful level. “Okay here we go Thunder Hawks. I want each Wing to attack one Raider apiece. Break down into Sections and come at them from different points of the compass. Remember to watch for the layering of the air-defense. Remember the hex-bees. Concentrate your attacks on their bow thrusters, bridge, and main engines. Save your blasts for those areas and ignore the defenses as much as possible. All we need to do is buy the PDF and Knight fighters time to deploy. Over”

Once Jordan had laid out her battle plan for the Flight and why she chose it the Flight followed her lead. Over the past months the young Thunder Hawks had come to not only trust Jordan, but love her. Their loyalty had not been bought or forced, but earned. Earned the hard way by Jordan never asking any of them to do what she wouldn’t do herself. So, it was no surprise to them when Jordan broke formation with her Wing escort and attacked the lead Raider head on.

At just under her top speed Jordan closed the distance between her and the Raider. She knew that her Flight just had to buy time for the PDF and Ida-ten Knights to get their fighters into the air. They would be the heavy hitters in the fight, not her Flight of Thunder Hawks, but it was a matter of pride for her and the Flight. They were still Sky Dancers of New Holland and Neo Geleen was their city. And NO ONE was going to take that away from them without a fight to the death.

Jordan unleashed her first thunderbolt at just over three hundred meters hitting the bow of the heavy cruiser class Raider. Her target had been the bow thrusters trying her damnedest to destroy the pirate’s ability to steer. The return fire was at first sporadic and uncoordinated. It was as if the ship’s targeting computer couldn’t lock on to Jordan. Jordan didn’t squander this opportunity, and struck the same area again. Whatever Jordan was targeting was having a major effect on the pirate ship’s ability to target her.

Little did she know that her strikes were having an effect beyond their apparent power. Between the two hits, the pirates primary and secondary bow targeting sensors had been destroyed. These two seemingly inconsequential hits had forced the crews to fall back on manual targeting. It would be this fact that would have far reaching effects on the battle. As the other Wings broke up and moved into attack position, Jordan’s escorts were already swarming the one Jordan had.

The crew of the pirate ship had no idea of where to focus their fire for defense. They were being attacked from the stern, bow, keel, port or starboard. It was as if the Sky Dancers were coming from every direction at once. Which is what they were doing. The members of India Wing may have been the youngest members of the Thunder Hawk Flight but they were the most loyal of them all.

They were also the ones that the older members feared the most. The reason for this was simple, they were also the meanest fighters of them all. The three young girls refused to be bullied by the older members, even going so far as to showing the older members of the Flight that they had more control over their symbionts. So much control that Jordan had actually picked them as her personal escorts and Wing.

The first to strike was Tracie. She had come in from the stern targeting the main engine control and connection mounts. This area was also the point where the fuel for atmospheric travel was mixed. To say the result of her attack was spectacular is an understatement. The port-side engine blew damaging the center line engine with its fiery death.

Sandy was the next to attack and hers was just as damaging. She had come in from the sunward side of the ship targeting the bridge’s superstructure. Just as her Wing sister had done Sandy held back for a second strike. Not that it would be needed as the superstructure folded over like melted butter. The attack had finished off what Jordan’s attack had started. The ship was now deaf, dumb, and blind.

Kelly was the last to strike, but hers would be the one to drive the death nail in the pirate’s coffin. Coming in from the planet-ward keel at full speed Kelly unleashed two consecutive thunderbolts into the mid-ship area of the Raider. The first ripped away the outer armor, exposing the interior of the ship. The second finished the job. It tore its way into one of the missile magazines. The resulting explosion tore whole sections of armor from the ship.

Jordan looked down at where the upper deck area of the cruiser smiling. There before her eyes was a gaping hole in the ships armor. Not even thinking twice, Jordan dove on the ship releasing a thunderbolt at full power aiming for that hole. The follow-on explosion from her attack ripped the bridge from the ship. As she passed the keel Jordan spotted Tracie climbing fast for another attack run on the stern.

Tracie didn’t waste time in turning around and climbing as fast as she could after her first attack run. She wanted the other two main engines. She knew that her first attack had destroyed the port-side and damaged the center-line engines. Now, she was targeting the starboard-side engine. If she timed her attack just right the pirate ship would lose all power from her next attack. As she passed the stern she hugged the engines as closely as she could. Once she was ready Tracie released everything she had at point-blank range.

Tracie’s final attack had been perfect. the thunderbolt slammed home just above the main injection port for the starboard engine. Tracie had barely cleared the area before the engine first tore itself apart, then finished destroying the center-line engine. Her attacks were total successes, leading to the ship falling towards the planets core. Even as the ship started its descent into the lower reaches of the gas giant that was New Holland the first of the fighter craft for the PDF and Ida-ten Knights began to engage the other ships.

Unlike the faulty intel that the pirates had, the pilots of the local PDF were some of the best, and they knew who they were facing. In fact, they were a crack fighter Wing of Death Dealers and trained against the Ida-ten Knights on a daily basis. The VMF-214 had a very long, and historic background going all the way back to the second World War. It was one that the current members were not about to tarnish. They would fight to the death and take as many of the enemy with them as possible. The other two Wings of fighters were just as deadly as their Empyreal counterparts.

The first was the eighty-first tactical escorts of the Children of Mars. Better known as the Lost Souls of Hades. These young men and women were known for their tenacity and unrelenting skill of fighting. During the Second Succession War the Lost Souls were said to have one of the highest kill rates among the Empyreal Forces. The other Wing from the Knights came out of the Knights of Saint George. The sixty-seventh scout-fighter Wing were known for their unorthodox methods of combat in the air. So much so that they racked up an impressive number of kills during the last war, not as high as the Lost Souls but still impressive.

Between these three units there were now sixty-six of the meanest fighter pilots in the air. And they all had one thing on their mind. Destroy the enemy and take no prisoners. They all knew that air-to-air combat was a battle of two elements, earth and fire. They live in the air and die by fire. But for the Thunder Hawk Flight of Neo Geleen none of that mattered.

No for the Thunder Hawks life in the skies of New Holland meant only one thing. Hunt or be hunted. And, when it came to being the hunters, Thunder Hawks were the apex predators of the New Holland skies. Not, the fighter, bombers, and torpedo attack craft of the PDF or Ida-ten Knights. Even as the three groups of aircraft began their attack runs on the pirate ships, Jordan and her Thunder Hawks were ravaging unholy terror and mayhem on the five remaining ships.

Ilene Price hung back with her two oldest daughters had followed Jordan’s orders upon exiting the SST. They had flown to an altitude that was high enough to be able to observe and help coordinate the attacks of the Flight. From her position Ilene Price and her daughters were stunned into disbelief. They had known that Jordan and the Thunder Hawks were deadly, but for the first time they truly understood just how badly normal everyday Sky Dancers were outclassed.

“Mother, please tell me that you’re not planning on reporting the full power of our sister and her Flight to the Supreme Council?” Asked closest older sister Sylvia from her position just above and behind her mother.

“This is one-time Sylvia, that discretion shall truly be the better part of valor. I believe that if the Supreme Flight Leader Helen Campbell truly knew just how devastating the Thunder Hawks were. She would send the PDF to kill them.” Ilene didn’t want to tell her daughters that Helen Campbell had already thought of doing just that. And that, was before there was proof of the Thunder Hawks full power.

With this battle now, almost at an end, Ilene realized that she never once had to tell the Wings what to do. At no time did she have to correct a Section or redirect one to a new target. Once Jordan had given the Wings their assignments and her battle plan they carried out their instructions. As a former Flight Leader, she had more than once had to perform those very actions with her old Flight during a battle with the pirates. At no time during the battle was she needed to help guide or direct the Thunder Hawks. The main reason was none of them sought personal glory. A problem that plagued most Sky Dancer Flights.

Yet, here was an untried Sky Dancer Flight that went into battle without questioning their Leader’s battle plan. A Flight that had never seen one day of combat, yet were preforming like a veteran Flight with a history that was centuries old. A Flight that was determined to prove they were just as good if not better than the ones their families came from. And today they had proved it, all of it. The Thunder Hawks truly were the Apex for the Sky Dancers.

“Tell me, mother. Did you ever think that Jordan and HER Flight would be this effective? Be honest mother, please.” Kathryn asked.

Looking over at her two oldest daughters behind her Ilene sighed. “No, my daughters. I never believed that Jordan or her Flight would be more than a distraction. Instead she and her Flight have proven me wrong. I truly pity those that would try to oppress these young women from now on.”

Ilene noticed that the final pirate ship was now under attack by the combined force of the Thunder Hawks, PDF, and Knights of Ida-ten. Just as with all battles through history as one side loses forces the tide of battle swings to favor the victor. This time it appeared that the defenders of Neo Geleen would be the victors, barring any unforeseen consequences. “Come along daughters. This battle is over and we need to be waiting on the arena glass to greet the victors.”

The two Wing Second looked at their mother as she flipped over into a dive and headed for the city. With a shrug of their shoulders they were quick to follow. They had learned a long time ago never, never question the orders of their mother. As much as they wanted to stay and watch the death of the last pirate Raider, they knew that their mother wanted to do something special for their sister. Little did they know that Ilene Price had other concerns on her mind. She knew that someone would report the true power of the Thunder Hawks back to Helen Campbell.

Until the confrontation two days ago in the Supreme Council Chambers Ilene had been able to downplay the power of the Thunder Hawks. With that incident and now this battle, that will no longer be possible. People will try to manipulate her youngest daughter and her Flight. Ilene knew this all too well.

The High Families were known for interfering in the internal matters of Flights, and with there being no members represented in the Thunder Hawks, someone was going to target the mines and city. The main reason behind this was Jordan’s very blunt attitude towards the High Families. If she had not bonded with her symbiont and joined the military she might very well have been reprimanded for that attitude. Ilene knew her second youngest child better than Jordan knew herself.

It was this knowledge that worried Ilene the most. If the High Families tried to interfere with her, the bloodshed would be beyond measure. Ilene Prince knew that Jordan would not stop with just the one High Family member that made the transgression. She would kill every last member of that High Family, and if Ilene was going to keep Jordan’s Flight out of the planetary powerplays, she needed to keep a lid on the power of the Thunder Hawks.

-----tbc-----

up
475 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loving it!!

northmiester's picture

As always Wolfjess7, I'm enjoying your delightful space opera! Just post faster please? The wait is so hard....

Politics and the ways of the true warrior......

D. Eden's picture

Do not mix well. Politics is the art of lying and manipulation. A true warrior does not lie, nor do they easily suffer those who do. A true warrior lives by a code - a code which demands that they protect the innocent and downtrodden.

While the politician schemes and plots in the dark, using manipulation and untruths, the warrior crafts a plan to defeat the enemy and takes the battle to that enemy, fighting with honor.

Jordan is a warrior, and Ilene knows that she will not long suffer the scheming and attempts of the politicians to control her or her Thunderhawks.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

To quote a great man

wolfjess7's picture

"Politics is the second oldest profession my friends, but it bares an uncanny resemblance to the first. Prostitution." accredited to Samuel Colt. I found this quote in my reading one day. I also like another one that points to politics. From Gen. Marshal. Alixi Kerinski "I have but one use for politics and those who practice them. Where to point my guns first, and then who to distrust."

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Wonderful!

Beoca's picture

I am delighted to see more Jordan Price. As always. Good luck to you, Ileanan- you are absolutely going to need it.

Breath holding

Robyn B's picture

I hold my breath waiting for new chapters in Jess's stories. Now I can breathe again for a few days, thank you...

Robyn B
Sydney

Left wondering

Sammi's picture

if after the power play by the Amazon's with our not so mild mannered Maiha if they actually realise how precarious a position they are in and just how much the Empire knows about their machinations.

With all of the different twists and turns we have seen so far I'm reminded of how another SCI-FI author who wrote a similar tale of Galactic Empire, and the intrigue produced there in described the situation.

' wheels within wheels within wheels ' Quote from 'DUNE' by Frank Herbert


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

More than one

wolfjess7's picture

More than one of the great Sci-Fi Masters wrote along these lines. L.Ron Hubert, David Web, Issac Assimaf just to name a few.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Pirating?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Pirates? what Pirates? we have no pirates on New Holland! It seems that Jordan's flight is building in size, should it grow enough, it could easily be a planetary defense.... One that would go after say other planets that are using nefarious means to weasel their way into New Holland. What happens then if the Thunder Hawks have a chance to go after say an Amazonian planet for trying to usurp laws?

Or perhaps and Empress that would offer a certain team a position should they decide to join, one that would be far more effective against a usurping planet?

So many ways this tale could really kick start into other tales... once this one has reached it's conclusion!

Bases are down but

wolfjess7's picture

The support bases are gone yes, but the problem of pirates is not. Remember that drop ships can operate in the atmosphere. Pirate dont need to come from New Holland to raid the cities.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

was thinking more of a deterrent

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Was thinking more along the lines of word getting out that 6 ships were held by a Flight until backup came, and they were totally destroyed.... at a unguarded city. Without some heavy firepower, they'd be foolish to think to attempt any of the cities if there's a chance another flight like Jordan's exist.

Wolfe

I see someone else was a fan of the old tv show Baa baa Black Sheep... VMF 214 Fighter Squadren was a great fighter squadron and was lead by Pappy Boyington. A man who truly had his men's loyalty very much like Jordan Price. It was earned through leadership.

Great chapter Jesse

SDom111

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Goddess Bless TVland

wolfjess7's picture

Goddess bless the producers of TV Land and Hulu. (giggles) I just love those old shows from the 60-80. They taught me how to speak English.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

owaaaahh

The battles just begun... Great chapter

alissa