Thundering Force: Chapter 23: “The Coming of the Storms: Part Two: Mortal's Folly.”

Printer-friendly version

“Thundering Force”

Chapter Twenty-Three: “The Coming of the Storms: Part Two: Mortal's Folly.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

It been roughly six weeks since Padme found out she was pregnant, with Anakin being the father. And it has been roughly a month since Ahsoka had been expelled from the Jedi Order.

It was pleasant, cool evening, with a clear sky, just after sunset, in the Senate District of Coruscant.

The lights of cityscape of Coruscant lit up the night just as much as the stars above.

Earlier that evening, after finishing their tasks for the day, Padme, Ahsoka, and Anakin, met up and they had dinner at a nice restaurant.

Once they were done eating, they returned to Padme's apartment, of which Padme allowed Ahsoka to sleep in a guest bedroom. Also, Padme sometimes shared a bed with her secret husband, Anakin Skywalker

Though, Anakin spent most of his nights at the Jedi Temple, as a way to prevent those in the Jedi from learning about their marriage.

In addition, given Padme was only a few months pregnant, she was not yet showing. This gave Padme and Anakin a few more months to figure out what to do next.

During the course of the last month Ahsoka had settled in nicely as both Padme's personal assistant in the Senate, and as Padme's bodyguard.

Padme and Anakin trusted that Ahsoka would be able to do her job and they were not disappointed.

Though, given the attention the Jedi Council was paying towards Anakin, Anakin had yet to secretly resume Ahsoka's Jedi training.

But, Anakin intended to resume Ahsoka's training in the near future.

In addition, Padme maintained her meetings with Bail and their small group of Senators. Though, Ahsoka could not attend these meetings, Padme made sure Ahsoka had something to do during these meetings.

Presently, Padme, Ahsoka, and Anakin, were in the living room of Padme's apartment.

They had only returned to Padme's apartment ten minutes ago.

The lights in the room were on.

In the center of the room, Padme and Anakin sat in the couch facing the balcony, with Padme sitting to Anakin's left side.

The translucent balcony door was closed.

Across the table from Padme and Anakin, sat Ahsoka in the couch facing them.

Across the room, to Padme and Anakin's left and Ahsoka' right, was the exit to the hallway, which lead to the elevators and much of Padme's apartment.

With the day over, all of them were casually dressed.

Ahsoka was in a brown shirt, dark gray pants, black belt, and brown shoes. Padme was in a blue dress, with a light blue belt, and blue slippers that was the same shade of blue as her dress.

Anakin was wearing some darker clothing. He wore a dark red shirt, over a black sleeveless vest, black pants, black belt, and black boots. Anakin had his lightsaber holstered on the left side of his belt.

The three of them were talking about the days events.

Anakin turned to face Ahsoka. He stated, “Ahsoka. I have a gift for you.” He stood up.

Padme and Ahsoka watched as Anakin pulled out small box from a pocket in his vest.

Anakin warmly smiled towards Ahsoka, as he reached over the table to hand Ahsoka the box.

Ahsoka took the box and looked at it.

Anakin maintained his smile, as he stated, “These are very special and very rare. I had to call in a few favors to acquire them. But, it was worth it.”

Ahsoka held the box in her hands, as she lifted the lips. She saw the inside of the box was cushioned, with to small items filling the two slots int the small box.

Ahsoka immediately recognized the two items as two small lightsaber crystals.

Ahsoka grinned in joy, as she squealed, “Finally!” She maintained her smile, as she looked up at Anakin. She happily said, “Thank you, Anakin. Thank you. I have my new lightsabers already assembled except for the crystals.”

Padme looked at Ahsoka. She calmly suggested, “How about you go install the crystals, so we can see the activation of your new lightsabers.”

Ahsoka jumped up to her feet. She looked at Padme. She stated, “That is a great idea.”

Ahsoka turned and she rushed out the room, towards her bedroom, and the lightsabers she was building.

After Ahsoka left the room, Padme looked up at Anakin. She complimented, “That was nice of you.”

Anakin sat back down beside Padme. Anakin looked at Padme. Anakin responded, “I know. Those are very rare crystals. It took time to acquire them.”

Padme stated, “Considering it took you a month to get these crystals, I figured they would be special.”

Anakin commented, “I did not want to give Ahsoka some synthetic red crystals. She would take it as an insult. And so would I.”

Padme inquired, “I guess she would. Is that why Sith lightsaber blades are almost always red?”

Anakin admitted, “I guess so. I am not sure myself.”

Padme asked, “How did you do get the crystals?”

Anakin coyly said, “A few favors here and there.”

Padme questioned, “Nothing that could come back to haunt us?”

Anakin answered, “No. I traded my engineering skills for the crystals.”

Padme guessed, “You worked on a starfighter for a Jedi?”

Anakin said, “Yes. Actually, it was two starfighters for two Jedi whom had just come from Ilum. They brought some crystals back to the Temple. I fixed the engines of their starfighters. Boosting the performance. In exchange they allowed me to select two crystals from the crystals they brought back.”

Padme inquired, with concern, “Those engines are not going to explode if they are pushed too far?”

Anakin answered, “No. I set the computers overseeing the engines so that if the engines overheat, they will shut down. Also, Jedi starfighters have ejection systems which work both in space and in atmosphere.”

Padme responded, “Good. So, that is why it took you so long to acquire the crystals.”

Anakin mentioned, “Yes. I had to do this on my off time. So, it took nearly a month to do so. And I had to convince them not to mention this trade to anyone else in the Jedi Order.”

Padme asked, “Can they be trusted?” She thought, 'If word got back about this to the Council, it would be obvious that Anakin had acquired the crystals for Ahsoka, and they would both be in trouble.'

Anakin responded, “Yes. I have known of them for years. And it is not uncommon for members of the order to keep a few extra crystals, in case their lightsaber is destroyed.”

Padme inquired, “How many crystals do you keep on hand?”

Anakin admitted, “A few more than I should.”

Padme giggled a little. After Padme stopped giggling, she asked, “So, what color are these crystals?”

Anakin lips curled into a smirk. Anakin commented, “You'll see. I was not joking when I said they were rare.” Anakin dropped his smirk, as he casually inquired, “So, how long did it take for you and Ahsoka to acquire the rest of the parts for her lightsabers?”

Padme gave Anakin a knowing smile. Padme said, “Since you finally asked. We acquired most of the parts within less than a week. But, the fuel cells required about two weeks to order, because we had to go through back channels.”

Anakin stated, “That is understandable. It is best the Jedi Order does not know that Ahsoka has built herself another set of lightsabers.”

Padme replied, “I fully agree.”

The two of them continued their conversation.

A few minutes later, Ahsoka returned to the room. She came to a stop in the middle of the open space between the two couches and the door to the hallway. She faced Padme and Anakin.

Padme and Anakin heard Ahsoka come into the room. They stopped their conversation, and they turned to look at Ahsoka.

They saw Ahsoka holding lightsaber hilt in each hand. With her hands to her sides, and the emitters of the lightsaber hilts facing her front.

Ahsoka's hilts were much like her original lightsaber hilts.

Anakin warned, “Be careful. To rush a crystal installation could allow for an error in the installation process which may lead to the destruction of the lightsaber and any hand holding the lightsaber.”

Ahsoka stated, “I know. This is not the first time I have built a lightsaber. Do not worry, I used the force to help guide me in installing the crystals. I sense no danger from the lightsaber hilts in my hands.”

Anakin replied, “Good.”

Padme requested, “Now, let us see those blades.”

Ahsoka smiled, as she said, “With pleasure.”

Ahsoka ignited her lightsabers. The blades extending away from her, to her front, by a meter. The blades were of equal length.

They all saw the blades were glowing white energy.

Ahsoka held out her lightsabers and she reversed her grip on her lightsabers.

While using Ahsoka underhanded grip on her lightsabers, she took an offensive stance. Then, she took a defensive stance.

A few seconds later, Ahsoka relaxed her stance, as she looked at her lightsaber blades in her reversed grips.

Ahsoka turned to Anakin. Ahsoka commented, “I like the blades. White is a nice color.”

Ahsoka replied, “Thank you.”

Padme looked at the blades, as she stated, “That is a rare color.” She thought, 'I have never seen a white lightsaber blade. Let alone two such blades.'

Anakin looked at the white energy blades. He said, “Yes. It is.”

Ahsoka deactivated her lightsabers. She turned to Anakin. She stated, “Anakin. I am honored that you would give me such rare, precious gifts.”

Anakin looked at Ahsoka. He said, “You earned them.”

Ahsoka inquired, “By the way. Now that I have new lightsabers, I began thinking. In the temple, I heard a rumor that some Jedi know how to improve a lightsaber to work underwater?”

Anakin responded, “Yes. Obiwan mentioned he knows how. I will ask him, later. It would be a good idea upgrade our lightsabers.”

Ahsoka said, “I agree.”

Anakin requested, “I will get with Obiwan and I will inform you of what he tells me. Now, please come over here and sit down.”

Ahsoka replied, “Sure.”

Ahsoka walked over and sat in the couch she had been in. Across the table from where Padme and Anakin were sitting.

Once Ahsoka was seated, she gently set her lightsaber hilts on the table between the two couches. Ahsoka leaned back in the couch, as she looked at Padme and Anakin. With Padme and Anakin looking back at Ahsoka.

Padme commented, “I noticed both your blades are the same length?”

Ahsoka stated, “Yes. I had them on the same settings. I will work on shortening my left lightsaber blade, later.”

Anakin cautioned, “Still, there is the matter of the fact you should not have those lightsabers. I suggest you do not openly carry them.”

Ahsoka replied, “I agree.”

Padme looked at the lightsaber hilts on the table. She turned her head towards Ahsoka. She offered, “I will take you to find some clothing to allow you to hide your lightsaber for when you are in public.”

Ahsoka said, “I would appreciate that. I already have a sundress and holsters that will work for tomorrow.”

Padme stated, “That is comforting to hear.”

The three friends continued talking for about an hour.

By then, Anakin excused himself, as he headed to the elevator, which took him to the parking level. From there, Anakin took his speeder back to the Jedi Temple. Once he was inside the Jedi Temple, he headed for his personal quarters to get some rest.

Meanwhile, Ahsoka and Padme stayed up a little while, with them watching some romantic holovids, in Padme's living room, on the holo-monitor in the table between the two couches.

As they watched the romantic holovids, with the sappy dialogue and paper thin plots, they sat beside each other, on the couch facing the balcony, with Padme being to Ahsoka's left side.

A few hours later, both of them decided to turn in and get some rest for the night in their respective bedrooms.

(_)

The next morning, inside the High Council Chamber of the Jedi Temple, the Jedi High Council had just began their morning meeting.

The partly cloud morning sky shined sunlight through the windows of the High Council chamber, allowing for plenty of light to see with inside the room.

Among those seated in their armchairs, which were place around the the rounded edges of the room, some of the council members were present. While other members were broadcasting their holograms in their seats by holo-comm. Of those present, this included Yoda, Mace Windu, and Obiwan Kenobi.

After discussing the end of the previous day's meeting, and any events that happened during the preview night, both on Coruscant and off world, the Jedi Council began to talk about other matters.

Mace stated, “Recent developments on the home front have not been good for us.” He turned Obiwan, as he continued, “Including, young Tano leaving the Order.”

Obiwan turned to Mace. He stated, “After what happened at her trial, I am not surprised she left. Though, she is with Senator Amidala. And the good senator has kept her out of trouble.”

Yoda said, “That we have no doubt of. Though, how is young Tano?”

Obiwan turned to Yoda. Obiwan stated, “We are not on good speaking terms. Though both Jedi Skywalker and Senator Amidala say that Ms Tano is doing fine.”

Yoda said, “Best we can hope for at the moment.”

Mace commented, “This brings bring me to my second point. The problem is that Senator Amidala has also taken a leave of absence from the battlefield. We no longer have her and the hammer to rely on. I am still unsure if was a wise move to allow Senator Amidala to go on extended leave from the war.”

Obiwan responded, “When someone with that level of power desires to rest. I would prefer we allow her to rest. I for one do not want to damage another friendship in the name of this war. Senator Amidala has not had our disciplined upbringing. Yet, she has given us over six years of service. Some of those in the Order would have begun to break at two years. Even if she no longer will directly help us on the battlefield. She can still aid us as a powerful ally in the Senate.”

Yoda backed up Obiwan, as he said, “That is true.”

Shaak Ti questioned, “Still, is it wise to allow Senator Amidala to look after Ms Tano?”

Obiwan commented, “For years Senate Amidala has also aided in Ms Tano lessons, in both her schooling and manners.”

Yoda stated, “Ms Tano display of manners does show. I support giving Senate Amidala the opportunity to see what she can do with Ms Tano.”

Shaak Ti said, “I will conceded the point on this matter.” Shaak Ti turned to Obiwan. She inquired, “Master Kenobi? How do you believe we should handle this matter with Senate Amidala?”

Obiwan turned to Shaak Ti. Obiwan answered, “I would suggest we let things be. If this war drags on for another six months, we will come back to her, and politely ask her to use the hammer again on the battlefield. By then, she may be willing to change her mind.”

Stass Allie stated, “What worries me is what could happen in the next six months.”

Kit Fisto said, “All of us realize that the war has reached a stalemate. There have been no significant victories for either side in the last few years. All there has been is death.”

Saesee Tinn stated, “But, not as much as stalemate was we may wish. We have come to suspect that the Separatists have a hidden fleet we cannot account for. And we are stretched thin.”

Mace commented, “So far, we have no evidence of such a fleet. All we have are a reports of them pulling back some of their forces along their lines. It is possible the Separatists are fortifying their holdings deeper in their territories.”

Plo Koon said, “Though, is Loki is in command of such a fleet, I doubt we would find any evidence of

Mace conceded, “That is possible. But, we have greater concerns closer to home. The Chancellor.”

Shaak Ti mentioned, “The Chancellor continues to amass more personal power for himself. He has almost completely reversed the restrains of the Russan Reformation which are placed on the Chancellorship.”

Ki-Adi-Mundi asked, “How has the current investigation on the Chancellor been going?”

Saesee Tinn answered, “Another dead end. I am not sure if the Chancellor has ties to Sidious, or not.”

Mace stated, “While I am not sure how we can gain traction in the war effort, we need to do something about the Chancellor. This has gone on for too long.”

Stass Allie said, “Whether the Chancellor is allied with Sidious, or not, his political and military power grows leaps and bounds by the day. Even without Sidious, if the Chancellor is not taken down a notch, we might not be able to rest the power he has gained for himself without much violence and blood being shed.”

Mace replied, “I agree.” Mace looked around the room, as he suggested, “I do have an idea on how to handle the Chancellor, and find out if he is in league with Sidious, or not. We send Jedi Knight Skywalker to get closer to the Chancellor and secretly gain information on the Chancellor.”

Obiwan turned to look at Mace. Obiwan swiftly said, “I completely disagree.”

Mace turned Obiwan. Mace pointed out, “And who would you have us send? The only two people we have on our side that are close to the Chancellor are Jedi Skywalker and Senator Amidala. It is clear that Senator Amidala has lost her stomach for battle. That leaves only Jedi Skywalker for the job. Fortunately, Jedi Skywalker has been shown to have grown to be a very mature adult. I believe he can handle this.”

Yoda turned to Obiwan. Yoda commented, “Master Kenobi. You are overruled on this matter.”

Obiwan remained silent, as he thought, 'I have a very bad feeling about this. Though, I need to ask.'

Obiwan stated, “Even barring how this could backfire on Jedi Skywalker with the Chancellor. Jedi Skywalker is close friends with Senator Amidala, and Ms Tano. I do not want to drive a wedge between them.”

Depa Billaba commented, “Master Kenobi. I remember a time when you were against attachments.”

Obiwan turned to Depa. Obiwan flatly stated, “There was a time before we were at war. I have learned that one needs friendships if one is to survive in battle.”

Yoda spoke up, “This is a debate for another time.”

Mace commented, “While I have much respect for Senator Amidala. She is even closer to the Chancellor than Jedi Skywalker. As such, Jedi Skywalker will need to keep this mission secret from the good Senator, Ms Tano, and anyone else outside of this chamber.”

Obiwan turned to Mace. Obiwan stated, “Actually, Senator Amidala tries to keep the Chancellor at arm's length. Truth be told. She does not like the Chancellor. And in the Senate she has fought against many of the policies that the Chancellor has convinced the Senate to enact.”

Mace said, “Even so, she is still too close to this matter. The Chancellor is a very crafty and cunning individual. He might be able to use one or both of them to turn on us.”

Obiwan openly admitted, “That is what I am worried about.”

Yoda said, “A close eye on Jedi Skywalker, we want you to keep.”

Obiwan turned to Yoda. Obiwan commented, “I will do what I can. But, Jedi Skywalker likes his privacy.” Obiwan thought, 'After everything we have been through, I feel Anakin has earned enough trust to have some privacy in his life.'

Mace requested, “Just keep regular tabs on him.”

Obiwan turned to Mace. Obiwan said, “I already do so.”

Mace stated, “Good. And you are ordered not to discuss this matter with Senator Amidala, nor Ms Tano.”

Obiwan replied, in a sad tone of voice, “I will do as you request.” He thought, with concern, 'I just hope this does not blow up in our faces.'

Mace ordered, “Also, given the complications of this mission. We want you to quietly give this mission to Jedi Skywalker. Also, for you to order him not discuss it with anyone but yourself, with you acting as a go-between for the Council and Jedi Skywalker.”

Obiwan was taken aback at Mace's request. Obiwan thought, with disgusted, 'So, if this goes badly, you can disavow us. Leaving us to be punished for espionage and treason against the Senate. And after everything Anakin has given you. We have given you. You are willing to do this.'

Obiwan looked at Mace. He flatly stated, “No. I will not do so.”

Everyone else in the council chamber was shocked at how direct Obiwan was in refusing a direct order from the Jedi High Council.

All eyes turned to Obiwan.

Shaak Ti questioned, in disbelief, “You would openly defy the Council?”

Obiwan stood up from his chair. He turned to look at Shaak Ti, as he firmly stated, with hints of anger in his tone of voice, “Over this. I am ready to walk out the door. Right now. And never look back. If that is the case, I have no doubt that Anakin will not be far behind me.”

The Jedi Council noticed that Obiwan had referred to Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker as, Anakin, instead of the more formal title, Jedi Skywalker.

Obiwan looked around the room, as he continued, “You are not only asking myself to lie to my students. To my friends. But, for me to arrange for my students to lie to each other.”

Obiwan's voice took a grimmer tone, as he went onto say, “These friendships took years to forge. Where we trusted our lives to each other. I have already lost one student in the name of politics, I will not have a hand in destroying anymore of my friendships over such petty concerns.”

Obiwan thought, 'I see now that I was mistaken for not defending Ahsoka before and during her hearing, when we decided to expel her from the Jedi Order.'

Mace asked, with concern evident in his tone of voice, “You are serious? Obiwan?”

Obiwan turned to Mace. He firmly answered, “Yes. I am. Mace.”

It was very rare for members of the council to so openly use each others given names during a council meeting. This showed how serious the situation had become.

Plo Koon pointed out, “I have feelings over what happened to Ahsoka Tano, as well. But, leaving the Order, during a time of war, is willful dereliction of duty. For doing this, you could be arrested and imprisoned, or worse.”

Obiwan had his left hand brush against where he holster his lightsaber, on the left side of his belt. To allow the members to know he was serious. He looked at Plo Koon. Then, Obiwan looked around the room, as he stated, “There are worse fates than being arrested. You are asking both Anakin and myself to betray our ideals. Each other. And our friends. That is a path to the dark side. I see this as maintaining my duty to stay within the light and not betray those whom trust me most. My students.”

Obiwan's lips curled into a wicked grin, as he questioned, with hint of sarcasm in his tone of voice, “And need I remind you who my students are?”

Obiwan thought, with mild humor, 'In all honesty, I am not sure the Jedi Order could handle fighting both Thor and The Chosen One, at once. And Ahsoka would be a handful for even a Jedi Knight.'

Yoda looked around the room. Yoda stated, in a slightly loud tone of voice, “There is no need for theatrics.” He turned to Obiwan. He saw Obiwan looking at him. Yoda went onto say, in a normal tone of voice, “Master Kenobi. Your point has been made. In our haste to deal with the Chancellor, we may have asked too much of you. You are correct in your beliefs. Betrayal and distrust are tactics of the dark side. Please, sit down.”

Obiwan sat down in his chair. But, he could not help but keep smug smile on his face.

Yoda mentioned, “But in exchange for us not asking you to do this, you will not question the Council again on this matter.”

Obiwan dropped his smile, which showed he was paying to what Yoda was saying.

Yoda went onto say, “Your desire not to be caught in the middle of this deceit.” He looked around the room, as he continued, “And that is what this is.”

Yoda turned back to Obiwan, as he said, “Still, someone has to undertake this mission. For the Order. And for the Republic. Unfortunately, young Skywalker is the only one whom can.”

Yoda looked around the room, at the other council members, as he firmly stated, “Still, we will give young Skywalker this mission in the light of day. As Jedi should.”

Yoda turned to Obiwan, as he said, “Master Kenobi. Your requested to not be a part of this mission is granted.”

Obiwan quietly said, “Thank you.” He thought, 'This is a fair compromise.'

Yoda responded, “Do not thank me just yet. If this does not go well, you may still have to deal with the fallout, and clean up our mess.”

Obiwan stated, “I hope the situation does not come to that.”

Yoda said, “I hope so, as well.”

Depa Billaba commented, “There is another related matter on this issue.”

Obiwan held back his emotions, which were still somewhat raw, as he forced himself to ask, in a calm tone of voice, “What matter is that?”

Depa stated, “It has recently come to my attention that not only is Senator Amidala giving shelter to your former apprentice, Ms Tano, right after the charges were dropped for her, but that Senator Amidala has hired Ms Tano as her personal assistant.”

Obiwan realized they were going to hope over his comments about his student. Though, he hid his feelings with a slight sense of humor. Obiwan inquired, with only a slight hint of sarcasm, “And how is this an issue?” He continued, in a normal tone of voice, “I thought we settled this matter a few minutes ago.”

Depa said, “While we are in agreement that Senator Amidala can look after Ms Tano. The concern I raise now is not with Senator Amidala, but with Ms Tano and her current skill level in the force. Ms Tano is strong in the force. Her abilities are almost equal to a Jedi Knight. Now she has been offered and accepted employment with a member of the Senate. A person that both you and Jedi Skywalker spent years training.”

Obiwan thought, 'Actually, before we threw her out, I am sure Ahsoka had reached a point in training that she could have passed her trials. Though, that does not matter now. But, I will not stand here and allow you to question the character of two of my students at the same time.'

Obiwan strongly responded, in an even tone of voice, “Do not pretend you are ignorant of who Senator Amidala is. And how she and Ahsoka are connected. Need I remind everyone that the two of them have fought side by side for six years. They are good friends. We threw Ms Tano out. It would make sense Senator Amidala would step in to make sure Ms Tano would be fine.”

Mace turned to Depa. Mace spoke up, “I will have to agree. Given their friendship, it would make sense for Senator Amidala to step in to help her friend. I will vouch for this senator. I will even say, with her keeping an eye on Ms Tano, she will help keep Ms Tano out of trouble.”

Depa conceded, “Point taken. I see I was mistaken in my concerns.”

Obiwan used his mental defenses to hide his thoughts and emotions, as he mentally reflected, 'After six years of loyal service during a war, you still question Padme and Ahsoka. I am not sure that Ahsoka did not have the right idea. Maybe Anakin and I should leave the Order. I will have to take some time and think on this matter.'

Obiwan commented, “I believe Master Windu is correct. That with them aiding each other they will help to keep them both out of trouble.”

Yoda agreed, “You are likely correct.”

Mace stated, “I believe it is best that we now summon Jedi Skywalker for his mission.” He turned to Obiwan, as he continued, “Before any other issues come up.”

Obiwan looked at Mace. As both men looked each other in the eyes, Obiwan realizing that Mace was talking about him.

Mace pressed a button on the right armrest of his chair. The button turned on the intercom to the communication station in the Jedi Temple.

Mace ordered, “Please find and inform Jedi Skywalker that he is requested to come to the Jedi High Council Chamber as soon as possible.”

The person on the other end replied, “Yes sir.”

(_)

Anakin was inside the Jedi Temple.

Over the next twenty minutes, Anakin had received word of the request and he had made his way to the Jedi High Council chamber.

Anakin stood in the center of the room. He wore in his usual clothing, of a black short sleeve shirt, red vest, black pants, black belt, and black boots. Due to the suddenness of the situation, Anakin did not have time to leave his lightsaber somewhere safe. As such, his lightsaber was holstered in its holster on the left side of his belt.

Internal Jedi Order protocol allowed Jedi Knights to bring their lightsaber into the High Council chamber during to special circumstances. These circumstances included being summoned to immediately to come to the High Council chamber by the Jedi High Council.

Due to all the secrets Anakin had, he shielded his thoughts and emotions from the Jedi Masters. Though, he was careful had he did this so the Jedi Masters would not realize he was doing so.

Over the course of the last month, Anakin had gotten into the habit of using his mental defenses almost all the time he was awake, except for when he was visiting Padme and Ahsoka at Padme's home.

Anakin looked around the room, as he thought, 'So, why did you want me to come here. This is highly unusual. And I sense this will not be good news. Still, let's get this over with.'

Anakin asked, “Masters. You summoned me?”

Mace answered, “Yes.” He looked at Obiwan. Then, he turned back towards Anakin. Mace continued, “First. We realize that given the incident concerning Ms Tano, you may feel sensitive towards the actions and judgments of the High Council.”

Anakin chose his words carefully, as he responded, “Ahsoka Tano was my student. I would be remiss to not say that I do hold reservations concerning what happened surrounding the events which caused Ms Tano's dismissal from the Order.”

Shaak Ti commented, “That is understandable.”

Plo Koon inquired, “How is Ms Tano? It is not secret you have kept in touch with her.”

Anakin turned to Plo Koon. Anakin answered, “She is doing fine. She is with Senator Amidala. Ms Tano is acting as Senator Amidala's personal assistant. When the war started, and Senator Amidala took up the hammer to fight this war, for security reasons, she dismiss the staff she used to assist and protect her as she preformed her senatorial duties. Now that she has returned Senate full time, she believes she needs help, and she trusts Ms Tano.”

Plo Koon commented, “I believe this is the best outcome Ms Tano could have after leaving the Order.”

Anakin mentally reflected, 'You threw out. But, I am not going to say that to you.' Anakin replied, “I agree.”

Mace stated, “Now that pleasantries have been taken care of, we have a mission for you, Jedi Skywalker.”

Anakin inquired, “Which is?”

Mace answered, “We want you to get closer to the Chancellor?”

Anakin thought, 'Huh?' Anakin responded, “Pardon me, Master. But, I am not sure what you are asking.”

Saesee Tiin stated, “We desire you to infiltrate the Chancellor's inner circle, to determine and verify if information we have on the Chancellor is correct, or not.”

Anakin thought, 'You have got to be kidding me.' Anakin said, “That is spying on the Chancellor. Doing so could be seen as an act treason.”

Stass Allie conceded, “Perhaps. But, our investigation of the Chancellor has hit a dead end.”

Saesee Tiin commented, “All our leads keep disappearing.”

Kit Fisto stated, “The Chancellor has amassed much power for himself. Too much. And it is reaching the point that even we may soon not be able to bring him to heel.”

Mace commented, “Given this is a time of war, we cannot approach the Chancellor without evidence. Very solid evidence.”

Anakin inquired, “Evidence of what?”

Shaak Ti answered, “That Chancellor Palpatine is in league with Sidious.”

Anakin commented, “I have heard this rumor before from other sources.” He thought, 'From Padme. Whom dismissed the rumor.' Anakin continued, “And those rumors did not pan out.”

Depa stated, “Our suspicions of the Chancellor may yet bear fruit. But, with the Chancellor's authority, if he is in league with Sidious, we need to know. And we need to know as soon as possible.”

Yoda said, “Too long this war has gone on. Too long has the Chancellor's authority been left unchecked. If Sidious is aiding him, answer many questions we have as to how the Chancellor has amassed his power.”

Anakin stated, “I have it on good authority that the Chancellor is only a very skilled politician.” Anakin thought, 'Padme may not agree with Palpatine, but even she will admit the Chancellor is very good at his job.'

Mace commented, “Even so. We need to know for sure. One way or another. And then we will decide what course we will take on the matter.”

Anakin thought, 'I want to know where this is leading.'

Anakin asked, “While it is obvious what you will do if the Chancellor is guilty of aiding Sidious. What happens if he is found innocent of these charges? I do not believe you will allow him to retain the political power he has amassed for himself.”

Stass Allie answered, “That is correct.”

Mace stated, “Either way, we will reign in the Chancellor ambitions. The only difference will be if he will remain the Chancellor or not.”

Anakin realized, as he lamented in thought, 'No matter what happens, this is a coup in the making. And they are giving me a direct order. I am not going to be able to refuse this mission. So, let's see if I can start making this situation work for me.'

Anakin said, “I have one condition.”

Mace replied, “Name it.”

Anakin requested, “If this blows up in my face, I need assurances made for my friends. Specifically, Senator Padme Amidala and Ahsoka Tano are not part of the collateral damage.”

Obiwan smiled at Anakin's compassionate request.

Depa said, “Absolutely.”

Anakin turned to Depa Billba. He said, “Master Billaba. No offense intended.” He turned to look at Yoda. Yoda continued, “But, I wish for Master Yoda to make this promise.”

Yoda calmly asked, “Me? Why?”

Anakin complimented, “You are the Master of the Order. And everyone here respects your word. Including myself.”

Yoda responded, “Compliment accepted. I promise you, that should the worst happen, that your friends, including Senate Amidala and Ahsoka Tano, will be protected from harm.”

Anakin replied, “Thank you.”

Yoda commented, “Though, you asked nothing for yourself.”

Anakin pointed out, “A Jedi does not think of himself.”

Yoda grinned. Yoda commented, “Such maturity. I see I was mistaken in originally being against allowing you to join the Jedi Order.”

In spite of everything, Anakin gave Yoda a weak smile. Anakin said, “Thank you.” He dropped his smile. He continued, “I will immediately take care of this matter.”

Anakin turned towards the closed double-doors of the room, which let to the anti-chamber, and he began walking.

Mace commented, “You are not dismissed.”

Anakin stopped in his tracks. He had his back to this council, as he slowly said, “Yes... You are correct.”

Mace stated, “It goes without saying that you are not to discuss this conversation, nor this mission with anyone. Not even Senate Amidala and Ms Tano.”

Anakin kept his back to the council, as he softly said, “Of course.”

Obiwan thought, 'There is no point in dragging this out.” Obiwan stated, “You are now dismissed.”

Anakin did not respond, as he began walking towards the doors.

When Anakin reached the door, he used a panel by the double-doors to open the doors.

The doors slid open, and Anakin walked through the doorway. Not once did Anakin turn around to look at the Jedi High Council.

A few seconds later, the doors slid closed.

Mace commented, “That went better than I expected it would.”

Obiwan said, “Anakin is not going to argue with the Council.” He thought, 'I taught him better.'

Saesee Tiin stated, “Given the details of the mission, it actually troubles me more that he did not argue his point more strongly.”

Yoda said, “Orders Jedi Skywalker were given. Orders that he could not disregard. But, orders he does not like. Though, he will work to accomplish his secret mission to the best of his abilities.”

Mace stated, “Now, we have to hope the boy can handle the job.”

Obiwan said, “He will.”

Mace asked, “And if he cannot?”

Obiwan answered, “We will know soon enough if we made a wise decision.”

The Jedi Council continued their conversation, as their concerns turned to other matters.

(_)

On the other side of the door, Anakin walked a few meters into the anti-chamber outside of the Council Chambers.

After Anakin heard the doors close behind him, Anakin came to a stop.

Anakin maintained his mental defenses to shield his thoughts and emotions. On the outside, Anakin appeared calm. But, on the inside, Anakin felt a torrent of conflicting emotions.

Anakin sighed, as he thought, 'I was correct. This is not good news. The members of the High Council must gone insane to issue me this order. Though, I have to go along with them. For now. I will make the appointment with the Chancellor. He will see me on short notice. And tonight, I will head over to Padme's apartment to talk to Padme and Ahsoka about this matter. This is too sensitive to discuss over a holo-comm.'

'It is best I talk to them once I short this matter out. I will make sure to avoid them in the Senate Building.'

'For right now I have to try and get an immediate appointment to see the Chancellor. Fortunately, I have found that unless he is really busy, he will see me on short notice. He even gave me a number to call him on, which will ring his office, instead of his droid secretary.'

Anakin walked towards a nearby elevator, with his intended destination being his personal quarters. Once he reached his quarters, he would call the office of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine to request an audience with Chancellor Palpatine as soon as it was convenient for the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic.

(_)

Five minutes later, Anakin made it to his personal quarters.

Presently, R2-D2 and C3-PO were working together, as they ran a series of minor errands for Anakin that morning, outside the Jedi Temple, which would likely take them all day and much into tomorrow to complete. After which, the two droids would return to the Jedi Temple and to Anakin's personal quarters to await to speak with Anakin on the completion of their tasks.

The light from the shaded windows of his living area provided plenty of light. Anakin walked over his desk, and the holo-monitor on top of his desk.

Anakin desk had a few tools and other items on top of it. But, his desk was mostly neat and well order.

While standing behind the armchair to his desk, Anakin pulled out a drawer on his desk, to his left. The drawer was empty.

Anakin pulled out his deactivated lightsaber hilt from the holster on the left side of his belt. He placed the hilt in the open drawer.

Anakin undid the buckle on his belt and removed the loops of the belt to take off the holster. He placed the holster by the lightsaber in the drawer. Anakin looped his belt around the loops of his pants. He redid his belt on his belt. Anakin closed the drawer of the desk which he has used to place his lightsaber hilt and lightsaber holster.

Anakin thought, 'My lightsaber will be safe here. Due to the level of security around the Chancellor, it is best I do not have my lightsaber with me.'

Anakin continued standing, as he dialed into the holo-monitor the number which would directly ring Palpatine's office, instead Palpatine's droid secretary, whom was stationed at a desk in a small hallway outside of Palpatine's office.

Once Anakin finished dialing the number, the holo-monitor began to ring a few times before Palpatine pick up the call.

Right above the holo-monitor, Anakin saw a small hologram of Palpatine, sitting in his armchair at his desk, while he wore his dark clothing and red Chancellor's robes which were left open.

Palpatine stated, “Ah. Anakin. I expected it was you.”

Anakin thought, 'Likely because you only gave this number to a few people. Including myself.'

Anakin calmly said, “Hello Chancellor. I hope you are not busy.”

Palpatine replied, “Not at the moment. Fortunately, you caught me between meetings.”

Anakin thought, 'Good.'

Palpatine calmly inquired, “So, what is the reason for this call?”

Anakin mentally lamented, 'I am going to hate myself later. But, I know the excuse I can use to get close to you.'

Anakin asked, “Did you hear about what happened to my former apprentice? Ahsoka Tano?”

Palpatine commented, “About her leaving the Jedi Order... I only have a few scant details.”

Anakin stated, “She was expelled from the Order. Th entire situation was a mess.”

Palpatine replied, with concerned in his tone of voice, “That is dreadful to hear.”

Anakin responded, “I know. Over the last month, since she was expelled, I have been thinking about those events. I have come to realize that the Jedi High Council is not much different than the Galactic Senate.”

Anakin noticed a slight smile form on Palpatine's lips.

Anakin continued, “Along with this, I realize that the only subject the Jedi Order does not teach is how to navigate politics. I now realize the reason for this oversight is to prevent the subordinates of the Jedi Order from becoming a threat to the Jedi High Council.”

Palpatine dropped his smile. Palpatine commented, “Sadly. I can see the logic in this.”

Anakin stated, “Yes. Because of all this, I desire to learn more about politics. And the application of politics. As such, I wish to turn to you for guidance.”

Palpatine asked, “You wish to learn from me?”

Anakin answered, “Yes.”

Palpatine grinned almost ear to ear. Palpatine happily said, “Wonderful. I would be delighted to speak with you about this matter. If possible, I would like to talk to you within the hour.”

Anakin thought, 'He really does want teach me.'

Anakin replied, “I believe I can make it to your office by then.”

Palpatine stated, “Good. I will clear my scheduled. I will see you then.”

Palpatine ended the communication.

Anakin turned and he headed out of his quarters. He down the hallway, towards elevator which would take him to the level where the hangar where he parked his speeder vehicle.

The present speeder vehicle Anakin used was a blue passenger speeder, which an open top, that could fit four people. A driver and passenger in the front, with the driver on the right side, and two passengers in the backseat.

(_)

Meanwhile, as Anakin was leaving Jedi Temple, to head to the Galactic Senate Building to meet with Palpatine, other events were taking place inside the Galactic Senate Building.

Inside Senator Padme Amidala's office, Padme sat in her armchair behind her desk.

To Padme's left, Ahsoka sat on a couch by the left side wall. The couch faced outward, with Ahsoka looking towards Padme.

Padme wore a flowing white gown that went down to her ankles. She had white flat sole slippers on her feet. Padme's white gown had slits going up both sides of her legs, up to just above her knees, to allow easy of motion when she walked. Padme had a small blaster hidden under her grown, in a holster on her outer side of her right thigh.

Ahsoka wore a yellow sundress, with yellow flat sole slippers. Ahsoka had her two lightsabers hidden under her dress, in a double-holster located at the small of her back. The holsters were horizon, one on top of the other, with the holsters held up by a strap around her waist.

Fortunately, the holsters had been fitted so having the holsters and lightsabers located there where not uncomfortable when she sat down. Though, she would have to remove them if she wished to lay down.

There was a slit vertical slit opening hidden in the folds of the lower back of her sundress, which would allow her to quickly reach for her lightsabers in an emergency.

Across the desk from Padme there were two armchairs set beside each other, facing the front of the desk. The two armchairs were spaced meter a meter apart from each other.

Presently, Padme was holding a meeting with a Senator whom she had known for several years. The senator was a Rodian man named, Onaconda Farr.

Within the Galactic Senate, Senator Farr represented the Savareen sector. The Savareen Sector was located in the southeastern part of the Outer Rim, near the southeastern Mid-Rim. Located in the Savareen Sector was Tyrius system, where the planet Rodia was located. Rodia was the homeworld of the green skin, humanoid shaped Rodian species.

Rodia was a planet whose surface was made up of mostly jungles, swamps, and oceans.

Of the two armchairs in front of Padme's desk, Senator Onaconda Farr sat in the armchair to Padme's right.

Sitting in the armchair to Padme's left was one of Senator Farr's aides. The aide with him was a Rodian woman named, Lolo Purs. Both of the Rodians wore fine clothing for their stations and genders.

In Lolo's lap was a datapad she used to help her with her job.

While Ahsoka sat on the couch, she remained silent, as she paid attention to the meeting in front of her.

Senator Farr has arranged for this meeting the previous afternoon, with Padme agreeing to meet with Senator Farr and his aide, Lolo Purs.

Less than a minute ago, the droid secretary outside of Padme's office had informed Padme of the guests. The droid secretary had opened the double-doors to the office for the guests. A few seconds after the two rodians had entered the office, the droid secretary had closed the doors behind them.

Padme and Ahsoka stood, as Padme greeted their guests. Ahsoka remained silent.

Greetings and pleasantries had already concluded, with everyone sitting down to talk.

Padme calmly inquired, “So, Senator Farr. Why did you wish to speak with me?”

Onaconda stated, in galactic basic, “I am having trouble continuing to convince the government of Rodia not to join the Separatists. In addition, it has come to my attention that a few weeks ago, the Republic military had moved their ships which were in orbit around Rodia to somewhere else. I do not know where. After this happened, Lady Laufeyson made some overtures to the government of Rodia, and she issued some veiled threats of invasion if they declined her offer.”

Padme admitted, “That is not much I can do about this.” Padme mentally lamented, 'I already owe Loki too much.'

Onaconda pointed out, “It is no secret that you are friends with the Jedi. A word from them to the Republic military could immensely aid in the defense of my homeworld.”

“While Rodia is on the galactic southeast corner of the Outer Rim, Rodia is only just outside of the Mid-Rim. Also, Rodia is one of the most politically closest member plants of the Galactic Republic within the Outer Rim.”

“It would not take much to add extend the Republic defense lines in the southeastern Mid-Rim and in the southern Outer Rim to encompass Rodia and the rest of the Tyrius system. All we really need are the number of ships and forces which were already assigned to protect Rodia.”

Padme thought, 'I will not trade favors like this. I will not use my connections to the Jedi for political gain. Doing so will come back to haunt me.'

Padme responded, “I am aware of this. Still, you are overestimating the Jedi's authority in this war. And my influence with the Jedi Council is not that great. I will admit I am friends of some of its members.”

Padme looked at Ahsoka. She saw Ahsoka was looking back at her. Padme thought, 'And former members.'

Padme looked back at Senator Farr. Padme continued, “But, I do not hold the ear of the High Council.”

Padme went onto say, in a firmed tone of tone, “We have been family friends for a long time. Though, during my time as Senator, before the war started, we were on opposing sides concerning a number of issues. After the first battle of Geonosis, when I returned to the Senate, in my time of need, you were not one of the Senators to come to my aid.”

Onaconda stated, “While we were on the Loyalist Committee, I believed in a more direct action against the growing Separatists movement, while you preferred to take a more peaceful approach to the situation. But, when you went into hiding, your subordinate, Representative Binks, was the one whom put forth Emergency Powers Resolution onto the Senate floor which helped to start this galactic war we find ourselves in. When you returned, it was clear you were not happy with Representative Binks' actions. You were giving mixed signals. I could not aid you, because I did not know where you stood.”

Padme said, “I realize this. That is reason we are having this conversation.”

Padme mentally lamented, 'I do not want to get into what happened with Jar Jar because the Coruscant Beast incident would be brought up, weakening my position in this meeting. Along with that being a painful memory for me. Though, I had to do what I had to do.'

Padme stated, “I will have to think on this matter.”

Onaconda said, “We will talk later.”

Onaconda got up from his chair. A second later, Lolo Purs stood up. She carried her datapad in her left hand. Onaconda turned and he walked away from Padme and towards the doors to the hallway.

Lolo followed close behind Onaconda.

While walking towards the doors, Onaconda did not look back, as he asked, “So, who are we meeting next?”

Lolo swiftly look down at the datapad she held in her left hand. Lolo used her right hand to work to the datapad to look up the answer. A few seconds later, Lolo had the hand. She looked up in front of her, towards Senate Farr, as she answered, in galactic basic, “You have a meeting scheduled for ten with Senator Fang Zar, in Senator Zar's office.”

Onaconda looked ahead, as he said, “I hope I have more luck with him in attaining support for Rodia.”

They soon made it to the double-doors to the hallway. When the reached the doors, they came to a stop. Lola opened the doors for Onaconda by her using her right hand to press a button on the panel be the double-doors.

After the doors slid open, Onaconda was the first person to walk out of the room and into the hallway, with Lolo right behind him.

A few seconds later, Padme pressed a button on the underside lip of the top of the desk, on the side facing her, to close the double-doors to the hallway.

Padme and Ahsoka watched the double-doors slide closed.

After the doors closed, Ahsoka turned to Padme. Ahsoka commented, “That was kind of mean in what you said to him about not helping him and his planet.”

Padme turned to Ahsoka. Padme stated, “Politics is not a game for the weak. If I had given into his requests, it would have been a sign of weakness which would cost me later on. Senator Farr will return. And then, I will offer to help him. Though, I will do so in exchange for a later favor from him.”

Ahsoka asked, “So you will actually speak to the Jedi about this?”

Padme stated, “No. But, I do have some contacts within the Republic military whom might listen to me on this matter. Even as Senator Amidala. If I remember correctly, Rodia is not far Christophsis of the Christoph System. The Tyrius system is to the galactic north of that cyan colored crystal planet. That is close to the battlelines between the Republic and the Separatists.”

“If Rodia was invaded by the Separatists, Rodia could be used as a staging area by the Separatists to break through the blockade at Christoph System, which would allow the Separatists to use the Corellian Run hyper-route to make their way directly to Coruscant and the rest of the Core Worlds. Using that point of view, it would not take much to convince my contacts it would be best to send a few cruisers to protect Rodia.”

Ahsoka inquired, “So, it is all in how one approaches the matter?”

Padme replied, “Yes.”

Ahsoka commented, “I did not realize that appearance was so important in politics.”

Padme responded, “That is because we of the Senate do not have access to the force. And weaponry makes things too bloody.”

Ahsoka conceded, “You have a point there.”

Padme commented, “As you learn from me, you will eventually pick up these tricks. I appreciate you remaining quiet during the meeting.”

Ahsoka stated, “You, Anakin... And Obiwan, taught me well. That one can learn a lot from listening.”

Padme responded, “Thank you. Besides. Most people do not know this. Including, Senator Farr. But, early in the war, I learned that the Republic military plans were to leave Rodia undefended. I quietly used my connections to have a few Republic naval ships stationed in the Tyrius system. While not enough to defend against a full scale Separatist invasion. I made sure there were enough personnel stationed there to able to protect the Rodia and locations in the Tyrius system from pirates, so supply lines to the Rodia could be maintained.”

Ahsoka commented, “That was nice of you. Have you done this for other people, as well?”

Padme stated, “Yes. This is why I worked so hard to maintain both my job as senator, while being a soldier. Even though I could not stop the war from growing, I could make sure some of the pieces on the board would be used to actually protect people, instead only attacking the Separatists.”

Ahsoka inquired, “While that is generous. In a way, do you consider all this to be a game?”

Padme answered, “Yes. But, I do take this game very seriously. I realize in this game there are very real consequences for countless people across the galaxy due to the actions of a few people making hard decisions. Including the decisions I have made.”

Ahsoka said, “I guess that is one way to look at it.”

Padme commented, “The only other way to look at politics is as if it is an ongoing, constant, internal war. I prefer the game analogy. It offers more peaceful points of view.”

Ahsoka conceded, “I guess you might be right about that.”

Padme said, “Not to worry. You are already learning a lot. Though, you have much more to learn.”

Padme mentally reflected, 'As a Senator, I have a duty to the Republic. But, you are now my assistant, Ahsoka. As such I have a duty to teach you.'

Ahsoka commented, “While I am no longer with the Order, I can still use the force.”

Padme thought, 'That reminds me. I have been meaning to ask.' Padme inquired, “While we never really talked about it. I thought that those that leave the Order are not suppose to use the force. Or, at least not use what you were taught in the Order.”

Ahsoka stated, “Technically. Yes. But, I know for a fact that rule is rarely enforced. And it generally reserved for those that cause trouble, or teach other people how to use the force.”

Padme admitted, “I can see that point of view.”

Ahsoka said, “So can I.” Ahsoka shrugged, as she gave Padme a smile. She continued, “Though, I know you I am not going to cause such trouble.”

Padme returned Ahsoka's smile, as she replied, “I know you will not.”

Ahsoka questioned, “So, is there anything I can do for you this morning?”

Padme responded, “Not at the moment. Since becoming Thor, I have gotten use to doing things on my owe. I do not really have anything for you to do, other than a few errands to run later. All I have is for you to listen and learn. I admit the main reason I wanted you around is to both keep Anakin from worrying about either of us, and to keep you out of trouble.”

Ahsoka admitted, “I was afraid you were going to say that.”

Padme stated, “Though, as you learn I will delegate more responsibilities to you.”

Ahsoka commented, “I look forward to what you have to teach me. I have learned much from you over the years. This last month has been truly informative.”

Padme mentioned, “While you were in the Order, I was not allowed to teach you much about politics. Now, that is not the case, I am freer in what I can teach you.”

Ahsoka replied, “That is good to hear.”

Padme thought, 'Within a month, I hope to introduce you to my allies in the Senate. Though, there is one introduction I can do which will help solve one of your more immediate problems.'

Padme commented, “Though, given your age and species, you are not yet an adult under the law. And now that you are no longer with the Order, we need to do something about getting you a flight permit for a speeder. No one whom knows you will dispute you have the skills to fly a speeder, it is your age they will question.”

Ahsoka said, “I was wondering when you would get to that. Having you drive me around is kind of embarrassing. Especially, I am your assistant.”

Padme stated, “I wanted to wait a few weeks for things to die down before I pursued calling in a few favors to do so.”

Ahsoka replied, “Thank you.”

Padme offered, “Though, if you need to go somewhere for right now, I can arrange for a droid chauffeur to be appointed for you. Both in carrying out your duties to me and to head anywhere within the Senate District. But, I do request you let me know where you are going before leave.”

Ahsoka said, “That will be fine.”

Just then, across the room from Padme's desk, the hallways double-doors slid open.

Padme and Ahsoka turned to see who it was.

They saw a male, blue skin Chagrian in formal gray clothing shirt and pants, with red boots. He wore a red cloth sash around his waist. Over his clothing he had on an dark brown fur open robe. He held a two meter long brown wooden staff in his right hand. The top had a small golden statue at the top of the staff. The statue was that of a person in a robe and a hood over their head, hiding their face, with their hands in the position of making a prayer.

The Chagrian of both genders had horns coming out from the sides of their head, going downward across their chest. Though, male Chargian also had two horns coming out from the top sides of their head.

The Chargian man was flanked by two Senate Guards. The Senate Guards wore uniforms, helmet, and cloaks were similar to the Chancellor Palpatine's Republic Red Guard, only the Senate Guard clothing, helmet, and cloaks were colored blue.

Though, instead of domed, faceless helmets, the helmets each guard wore had slits which exposed their face and eyes much like Thor's helmet.

The Senate Guard was nicknamed Blue Guard due to the blue color of their uniforms and helmets.

Though, unlike Thor's helmet, the Senate Guard helmets each had two black plumes going down the top sides of the helmet towards the back of the helmet, with the plumes being parallel with each other.

Unlike the Red Guard, whom were personally hand picked by Chancellor Palpatine from the clone troopers of the Coruscant Guard, the Senate Guards were composed of people of various backgrounds across the Galactic Republic, whom had the skills and passed the background checks to become Senate Guards.

Each Senate Guard carried a stunstaff in their right hand.

While the Senate Guard were highly trained they were not on par with Palpatine's Red Guard. The Senate Guard were no match against a force user.

Senate Guards had the authority to arrest or kill anyone they deemed as an immediate threat to the lives of Senators, other government officials, or to the Senate Building itself. The exception to this lethal force rule being if a Galactic Senator, or even a Supreme Chancellor, was being the threat, Senate Guard has to use non-lethal means to subdue the belligerent Senator, or Supreme Chancellor.

The only justification the Senate Guard could subdue a Supreme Chancellor is if the Supreme Chancellor was posing an immediate threat of bodily harm to a Galactic Senator.

And even then, the Chancellor could only be held until the situation had calmed down. Though, to arrest a Chancellor first required the Galactic Senate to impeach the Chancellor.

While Supreme Chancellors were chosen from the pool of Galactic Senators, after a Senator was voted in by the Galactic Senate to become the new Supreme Chancellor, a new senator is appointed by the government of the system, or sector, said the new Chancellor had been representing.

Once a Chancellor finished their role as Chancellor, were no longer a part of the Senate. Unless, said Chancellor were to return as Senator. This was rare, but no unheard in Galactic Republic history.

Also, Senate Guards were the ones to carry out arrest warrant within the Senate Building.

The best of the Senate Guards belonged to specialized Senate Commandos whom were the heavily armed and were meant to be used in the protection the Senate Building from military attack.

Senate Commandos wore armor and helmets similar to trooper armor and helmets, except the Senate Guards armor and helmets were colored blue.

Also, Senate Commandos handled various secret missions and duties for the Senate and Chancellor that took place beyond the confines of the Senate Building. Many of these secret missions took the Senate Commandos from Coruscant to other locations in the galaxy.

Though, a few years ago, Chancellor Palpatine replaced this role Senator Commandos in their secret missions with his own Red Guard. And Chancellor Palpatine had gutted the authority of the Blue Guard in many ways. This included reducing the staff of the Blue Guard. Along with moving the Blue Guard out of the Senate Building and to a building nearby, which was across the Senate plaza from the Senate Building.

The three men continued towards Padme and Ahsoka as the double-doors slid closed behind them.

From the slits in their helmets, Padme and Ahsoka could tell the two Senate Guards were men.

Padme immediately recognized the Chagrian man. Padme thought, 'That is Lord Speaker Mas Amedda. He is the Vice Chair of the Galactic Senate. Lord Speaker Amedda holds the second most powerful position within the Senate. And he is Palpatine's personal servant. Also, he has codes to open any door in the Senate Building, except for those areas belonging to the Chancellor.'

Padme looked at Ahsoka. She realized that while Ahsoka was still sitting, Ahsoka's body had stiffened, and Ahsoka looked ready for a fight.

Then, Padme saw Ahsoka turned to look at her.

Padme shook her head.

After years of fighting along side one another, Padme and Ahsoka could read each others facial expressions and body language, with Padme shaking her head telling Ahsoka to stand down.

Ahsoka saw Padme's shake her head. Ahsoka nodded once in confirmation.

Padme saw Ahsoka relax her body.

Padme and Ahsoka turned back towards the three men.

By then, Mas and the two Senate Guards had come to a stop in front of Padme's desk. Mas stood between the two chairs. He held the staff in his right hand, with the bottom of the staff set slightly in front of him, to his right. The two Senate Guards flanked the sides of Mas, as the guards stood behind the two chairs in front of the Padme's desk.

Out of respect for Mas station, Padme stood up from her armchair, as she looked at Mas from across the desk.

On the other hand, Ahsoka stayed in seat on the couch. She was quiet and she did not move, so as to not draw attention to herself.

Padme calmly asked, “Lord Speaker Amedda. What brings you here?”

While Mas maintain a calm facial expression, Mas spoke in a direct, brash tone of voice, “I have no time for pleasantries. I have been investigating possible espionage within the Senate. And my investigation has lead me to you. Senator Amidala. You are here by ordered to come to my office, at fourteen hundred today. So we can talk in private.”

Both Padme and Ahsoka maintain their cool at hearing the accusations of espionage.

Padme thought, with concern, 'Sheev is making his move sooner than I expected. I thought he would wait half a year before trying to have me removed from the Senate. Ironically giving me time to leave on my own. I see I was wrong. Still, I will not leave the Senate under a cloud of dishonor. To do so would disgrace myself, my allies within the Senate, and my family, including those not yet born. As such, I will face the accusations head on.'

'Mas probably brought the Blue Senate Guards with him so he could arrest me on the spot. If he wished the do so. Though, only the Chancellor can issue an arrest warrant for a Senator of the Galactic Republic, with the Senate Guards having the authority to carry out the warrant and make the arrest.'

'But, when it comes to this situation that might be a formality. The Lord Speaker can request a Senator be held for up to a full twenty-four hours, as an warrant is issued. It is best I keep this simple and brief. I will figure out what to do next before our meeting this afternoon.'

Padme calmly said, “Lord Speaker. I will comply with your request.”

Mas firmly replied, “Good. I will see you this afternoon.”

Mas turned around, he walked between the two officers, and he continued towards the double-doors to the hallway.

The two Senate Guards turned and followed Mas.

When the three individuals reached the door, Mas pressed a button on the panel by the double-doors to open the doors.

The doors slid open and the three individuals exited the room.

After the Mas and the two guards has exited the office, Padme used the same button on the underside of her desk as before to have the double-doors slide closed.

After the doors slid closed, Ahsoka turned to Padme. Ahsoka asked, “What are we going to do?”

Padme sat down in her armchair. She turned to looked at Ahsoka. Padme calmly said, “For the moment, we are going to handle this in a civil manner.”

Ahsoka commented, “I do not want you to end up imprisoned like the Jedi did to me?”

Padme stated, “Do not worry, I can summon the hammer anywhere on the planet.”

Ahsoka pointed out, “But what about...” She looked down at the Padme's desk, in the direction of Padme's stomach. Then, Ahsoka looked back up at Padme's face. Ahsoka continued, “You know.”

Padme said, “I will only do so if I have no other choice.”

Ahsoka inquired, “Do you want me to accompany you to this meeting?”

Padme answered, “No. You being there will be a distraction for me. If I bring someone with me, the Lord Speaker will see that as a sign of weakness on my part.”

Ahsoka asked, “I understand. Do you want to call Anakin?”

Padme stated, “Absolutely not. Doing so would only make things worse for myself.”

Ahsoka replied, “Okay.”

Padme thought, 'Now, what am I going to tell the Lord Speaker? Who can I ask for help?' Then, Padme realized the answers to her questions. She mentally reflected, 'I know who ask, and where to meet. I was going to call him anyway, but this is a better excuse and I will ask for his advice on a few other matters, as well. He should be in his office right now. If I am lucky, I will catch him when he is not busy.'

Padme touched the buttons embedded on the top of her desk, which she had no problems reaching while sitting down. The buttons were connected to the holo-monitor installed in the top of her desk. Padme was dialing a holo-comm number she know that went to the directly to office of someone in the Senate. The person Padme was dialing was a good friend, whom had shared this number with her.

As Padme typed the number without looking up, she asked, “Ahsoka? Are you open to having a casual lunch?”

Ahsoka answered, “Sure.”

Padme stated, “Good. That is what I was hoping you would say.”

By then Padme had finished type the number and the connection began to ring.

A few seconds later, the communication was picked up on the other end.

Padme saw the man's hologram in front of her, on the desk. The man said, “Hello.”

Then, Padme talked to the person she had called. And Padme soon found out the man in question was not busy.

(_)

While Padme was making plans and arrangements for her upcoming meetings, Anakin had reached the Senate Building.

After Anakin parked his speeder on parking alcove in an upper level of the Senate Building. The parking level in question was reserved for government officials. This included Jedi. After Anakin parked the speeder and turned off the engine of the vehicle, he head exited the vehicle, and he headed into the building using a nearby entrance.

After walking down a few hallways, and using an elevator, Anakin reached the outside of the Chancellor's office.

Inside the small hallway that lead to the Chancellor's office, Anakin stood in front of the desk of the droid secretary, which was placed in the center of the entrance of the small hallway.

From sitting at its desk, the droid secretary look up at Anakin. The droid stated, “You are expected. Please, head inside.”

Anakin walked around the desk, to his right, around the droid and towards the entrance to the Chancellor's office.

Chancellor's droid secretary opened the doors to the Chancellor's office and contacted the Chancellor to inform him that Jedi Skywalker was here. This was just as the secretary droid has been instructed to do by Chancellor Palpatine.

By the time Anakin reached the entrance to the Chancellor's office, the large double-doors of the office had slid open.

Anakin walked inside the small alcove of the office, which lead to the larger, circular part of the office.

The large curved windows on the other side of the office provided plenty of light to see with from the daylight of the partly cloudy morning. Also, the cityscape shown through the windows as a backdrop to those walking into the office.

As the doors closed, Anakin continued to walking into the room. He exited the alcove of the room, and into the large parts of the room. He passed by the two Red Guards, standing at attention to the sides of the room. With each guard wearing a red robe and a red dome helmet. Each guard had a stunstaff in their right hand.

Anakin soon made it to the steps near the center of the room.

Anakin walked up the steps to his right, up onto the upper platform. From there, he passed the four chairs, to come to a stop in front of the Chancellor's desk.

As Anakin stood in place, he looked across the desk to see Chancellor Palpatine sitting in a chair, at his desk.

Palpatine looked back towards Anakin. Palpatine happily said, “Ah. Anakin. I am delighted at your punctuality.”

Anakin calmly responded, “Chancellor. I realize you are a busy man. I am honored you would take time out of your busy schedule to see me on short notice.”

Palpatine casually said, “Think nothing of it.” Then, Palpatine noticed something, as he commented, “I see you did not bring your lightsaber with you.”

Anakin commented, “I believe it was best to leave my lightsaber at home.”

Palpatine smiled, as he commented, “I deeply touched that you would show me trust in such a way. It is nice see that some Jedi follow security protocols.” Palpatine dropped his smile. He questioned, “Now, you wanted to learn more about politics?”

Anakin stated, “Yes. I do.”

Palpatine responded, “Good. Unfortunately, I do not have time to teach you, myself. So, I will have someone else I trust do so.”

Palpatine pressed a button on his desk.

The door to Anakin's left, Palpatine's right, slid open. The doors lead to the Chancellor's private quarters.

Anakin turned to his right to see saw a slender, bald, pale skin, with white eyes, near-human woman walk through the doorway and into the room. The woman was an Umbaran. The woman was wearing a large blue fur shadowcloak over her body. The shadowcloak was from the Umbaran homeworld in the Ghost Nebula.

The shadowcloak was the pelt of an large blue fur beast. To be exact, the cloak used the part of the pelt was from the beast's neckline and shoulders. The large neckline went half way down the woman's chest, with the shoulders of the pelt down to the woman's feet. This gave the woman an eerie, ill shaped silhouette, which belied her actual slender, humanoid form, with the woman's physical form being much like most human and near-human women of her height and weight.

The woman turned to her right and she started walking on the upper platform, as it curved to where the Chancellor's desk was.

As the woman walked towards Palpatine and Anakin, the doors leading to the Chancellor's quarters closed behind the woman.

Palpatine looked at the woman, as the woman approached Anakin and himself.

While the woman walked towards them, Palpatine stated, “This woman is Sly Moore. Ms Moore is my Senior Administrative Aide. She handles much of my scheduling. Along with giving the occasion press conference when I lack the time to do so.”

By then, Sly had come to a stop to the side of the desk to Palpatine's left. Sly stood in place facing the desk, as she turned her head to face Anakin.

Palpatine looked over at Sly. Palpatine said, “Ms Moore” He looked at Anakin, as he continued, “This is Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker.”

Anakin looked at Sly, as he commented, “I do not believe we have been personally introduced.”

Sly looked at Anakin, as she calmly replied, “I agree.”

Palpatine stated, “I believe learning requires a hands on process.” He turned to Sly, as he continued, “Ms Moore. I would like for Jedi Skywalker to accompany you for the next few hours. So, he can learn about some of the internal mechanisms of politics which most people do not realize.” Palpatine's lips curled into a slight smile, as he continued, “Knowledge that not even some Senators realize.”

Sly turned to Palpatine. She said, “Yes Chancellor.” She turned to Anakin, she went onto say, “Jedi Skywalker. If you will follow me. Though, I ask that you keep any questions to yourself. Keeping up with the Chancellor activities offers little time for myself. I have very tight schedule. I would prefer if you on follow, watch, and listen.”

Anakin commented, “I will do as you request. Ms Moore.”

Sly replied, “Thank you.”

Sly walked passed Anakin and down interior set of steps to Palpatine's left.

Anakin turned and he followed a meter behind Sly.

Palpatine watched them leave.

When Sly and Anakin reached the doors to the hallway, they came to a stop. Anakin used the buttons on the nearby panel on the wall to open the doors.

The doors slid open, with Sly and Anakin walking into the hallway.

A few seconds later, the doors sliding closed.

Palpatine maintained his slight grin, as he thought, 'I was wondering when the Jedi would finally make their move and try to have Anakin get close to me. Nice try. But, I have a counter to their plan. In the meantime, Sly will show Anakin a few things. Though, not enough for this to backfire on me. While this is happening, Mas is making his play on Padme... Soon... Very soon, I will be ready...” His smile grew wider, as he continued his thoughts, “And I will have my new apprentice.'

Palpatine swiveled his chair around a hundred and eighty degrees counterclockwise.

Palpatine looked out sunny day illuminating cityscape of the Senate District, as he began to plot his next moves.

(_)

At the moment, Sly and Anakin had passed the droid secretary, around the droid's desk, to their left, and they were heading to where the nearby elevators were.

They walked side by side, with Anakin to Sly's left.

Anakin noticed that Sky had pulled out datapad from her cloak.

As they walked, Sly held the datapad in her hands, as she looked at it, while she worked on it.

Anakin inquired, “Before we begin, I do have a few questions?”

Sly did not look up, as she said, “Go ahead.” Sly checked the clock in the bottom right of the screen on the datapad with the schedule list of times on the main viewing folder window of the screen.

Anakin asked, “How exactly do you schedule the Chancellor's day?”

Sly could not help but smile. She responded, “A good question. The Chancellor gives me a general idea of what he wants to do that specific day. I build a daily schedule from his wishes. Usually these schedules are done a week or two in advance. Though, I find to when it comes to sudden changes in the Chancellor's schedule in meeting with Senators, I have to meet with many of the Senators in person to convince them to change their schedules at the behest of the Chancellor.”

Anakin commented, “That is interesting. I have seen a few of the press conferences you have given. Though, it seems the Chancellor gives many more than anyone else in his cabinet.”

Sly said, “It is no secret the Chancellor loves the attention his station brings to him.”

Anakin inquired, “That is very true. So, do you find this job fulfilling?”

Sly dropped her smile. She commented, in a sober tone of voice, “As a Jedi, you know that sometimes we do not get a choice in our jobs. But, this job is much better for myself than where I was before I met the Chancellor.”

Anakin noticed Sly's change in demeanor and tone of voice. Though he did not comment on the changes. Instead, he said, “I will take that as a yes.”

Sly requested, in a more normal tone of voice, “I guess that would be a yes. Now please, let me do my job. I do not want to get behind schedule. The Chancellor would not be pleased with that.”

Anakin replied, “Of course.”

They soon reached the elevators. After entering one of the elevators, Sly took them to the level she needed to go, to do her scheduling job for the Chancellor.

(_)

An hour later, it was time for lunch for many in the Senate District. This included, Padme and Ahsoka.

Padme used her speeder to drive Ahsoka and herself to CoCo Town. CoCo stood for Collective Commerce District. This was a shopping area in the Senate District. Coco Town located northeast of the Senate Building, and southeast of the Jedi Temple.

Padme parked her speeder in a small above ground parking level near the location. The parking area was set aside for government officials.

The exact location they headed to was on the surface of CoCo Town. The restaurant was Dex's Diner. The diner was a low key restaurant whom catered to the working class. The diner's menu was mostly a selection of sandwiches, drinks, and side-dishes.

The diner was owned by Dex Jettster.

Years ago, Obiwan had taken Padme to Dex's Diner, with him introducing her to Dex.

Obiwan had vouched that Dex could be trusted to keep a secret. Padme trusted Obiwan on this matter.

Padme had held a few secret meetings in the diner. While the diner was open to the public, few politicians met there. And the causal working class nature of the diner meant the ears of the Senate were not there.

Padme and Ahsoka had met the person Padme had called early that day to talk to. That person being Padme's good friend and ally in the Senate, Senator Bail Organa of the planet, Alderaan.

When Padme contacted Bail, Bail was not busy, and Bail already knew where Dex's Diner was, so there no complications in meeting there.

Bail was physically healthy. He wore one of his white formal uniforms, white long sleeve shirt, closed white sleeveless waistcoat vest, white pants, with a black belt and black boots.

The three adults sat in a booth by a window. Bail sat in the booth, with his left side facing the window. Across the table, Padme sat inside the booth, with her right side facing the window, while Ahsoka sat to Padme's left side.

They had made their introductions as they sat down.

After they finished their introductions, they had a ordered their meals from the droid waitress of the diner. The droid's name was Flo.

The held a light conversation while the waited for their meals.

Soon their orders were brought to them, and they ate their lunch.

After they finished their places, Flo took their plates back. Though, the droid left their drinks.

With lunch concluded, they got down to business.

Bail looked at Padme, as he asked, in a firm, though tone of voice, “So, why did you ask me to come down here? You always have a reason for your actions.”

Padme stated, “Mas Amedda confronted me this morning in my office.”

Bail knew that Padme was referring to the Lord Speaker in not so many words, so as to more attract any possible eavesdroppers.

Padme went onto say, “Mas is claiming I sent communications to the Separatists.”

Bail said, “I doubt that is the case.”

Padme commented, “I know. But, he demanding a meeting this afternoon. We both know that Mas would not do this unless he has some sort of evidence. And I could use some advice.”

Bail responded, “I do not know how much I can aid you. I only learned of this from you. But, this means that... Mas is trying to keep this quiet. Likely, because he wishes to avoid a scandal for the Senate. Though, this also means you could possibly make a deal with him where he will be willing to sweep this under the rug.”

Padme stated, “I believe that Sheev is behind this.”

Bail realized that Padme was referring to Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine.

Padme continued, “If I would were to make a deal, I would ultimately owe Sheev a favor. A favor I do not want to owe to either of those men. This is likely a play by Sheev to either remove me from the Senate, or have me be under his thumb.”

Bail said, “This is possible. But, to remove you from your Senate seat would likely cause problems for everyone involved. You still hold enough influence in the Senate that to force you out could politically hurt... Sheev for the short term. We both know you would never serve Sheev.”

Padme replied, “Exactly.”

Bail pointed out, “Keep in mind, the conversation will be recorded.”

Padme said, “I know. I can work around that problem.”

Bail asked, “So, what are you going to do?”

Padme said, “I have an idea of how I am going to get out of this mess. It will mean I will have to go alone to meet Mas. I only needed your advice before I did so.”

Bail inquired, “If your plan does not work?”

Padme answered, “I will need your political support.”

Bail stated, “You will have it. I have stuck with you this far, I am not going to abandon you now.”

Padme replied, “I know. And thank you.”

Ahsoka turned to Padme. She asked, “As you go to your meeting, do you want me to stay right outside of his office door?”

Padme turned to Ahsoka. She calmly said, “No. That could backfire on us. Not to worry. Mas will not dare harm me. He knows I am too politically well connected to attempt to physically force me to answer his questions.” Padme thought, 'That reminds me. I will have to leave my blaster pistol behind. The Lord Speaker would love to have a weapons possession charge on me.'

Ahsoka commented, “I trust your judgment.”

Padme replied, “Thank you.”

Bail turned to Ahsoka. He asked, “So, Ms Tano. How have things been in your new job? I am hope you are settling in well?”

Ahsoka and Padme turned to look at Bail.

Padme thought, 'It was no secret that Ahsoka was a member of the Jedi Order. Though, the only public information on Ahsoka was that the Jedi Order expel her for some unknown reason. Then, I hire her for my own reasons. While this was not illegal, doing so did cause a little bit of discussion, for a few days, within the halls of the Senate. Though, the Senators moved onto other matters within a week of hiring her.'

'I was surprised that Ahsoka expulsion from the Jedi Order and my hiring her did not make the media stories. It is likely some of the major powers controlling the media on Coruscant owe a few favors to the Jedi High Council, and Council asked the various media sources whom learned about this not to report on the matter.'

'It seems freedom of the press is an oxymoron in this day and age.'

'Though, it is not that I care about such meaningless, weak organizations at the moment.'

Ahsoka stated, “I am. It is better than my previous job, which involved being shot at.”

Bail cautioned, “Well dear. A lesson to the wise. In politics, it is not the threats you see which you need to worry about. It is the threats you don't. Many people will claim to be your friend, and they will later stab you in the back when it is most convenient for them. Some times literally.”

Ahsoka soberly said, “Sadly, I have already learned this lesson.”

Bail responded, “Good. That means you might have a chance in this game. Another lesson is to rely more on your wits than your force abilities. If you try to use the force to figure out what is the truth and what is a lie in this game, you will quickly find yourself confused. Because in politics, every lie is a truth, and every truth is a lie.”

Ahsoka casually said, “You sound like Master Yoda.”

Padme giggled a little at her Ahsoka's comment.

Bail smiled, as he commented, “I will take that as a compliment.” He looked at Ahsoka and Padme, as he continued, “Still, Padme. I am surprised that you haven't convinced Ahsoka here to enter the Legislative Youth Program. She is still young enough.” Bail focused on Ahsoka, as he went onto say, “I can see she has the making of a skilled, wise leader.” Then, Bail focused on both them.

Ahsoka's lips curled into a slight grin, as she said, “Thank you.”

Bail replied, “You're welcome.”

Padme looked at Ahsoka. Then, she turned to Bail. Padme soberly said, “Unfortunately, with Ahsoka's connections to the Jedi Order, I do not have the political pull to do so.”

Ahsoka dropped her grin. She turned to Padme. Ahsoka commented, “I understand.” She turned to look at Bail.

Bail stated, in a casual tone of voice, “Well, Ms Tano here will still learn a lot from you. There is always hope for the future.”

Padme gave Bail a weak smile, as she agreed, “Let us have faith that is the case.”

Padme forced herself not to place a hand on her stomach, as she thought about the unborn child growing inside her body.

The three friends continued their conversation for a few more minutes. Then, they paid for their lunch, left a tip for Flo, and said their goodbyes.

Bail has parked his speeder at the same parking level as Padme had left her speeder.

Bail drove his own speeder back to the Senate Building.

Padme took Ahsoka and herself in her speeder to the Senate Building.

(_)

Half an hour after Padme and Ahsoka had finished lunch, and ten minutes after Padme, Ahsoka, and Bail had returned to the Senate Building, Anakin had finished his time accompanying Senior Administrative Aide Sly Moore.

Sly and Anakin parted ways.

Sly stated that she needed to eat some lunch. Also, Sly mentioned that the Chancellor would be have already finished his lunch, the Chancellor should be in his office at the moment, the Chancellor's next meeting was not for another hour, and the Chancellor wished to see Anakin after he finished his tour.

Anakin headed to meet with Chancellor Palpatine.

After walking down a few hallways, and taking an elevator, Anakin made it to the entrance hallway to the Chancellor's office.

The droid secretary stated Anakin was expected and the droid opened the doors to the Chancellor's office for Anakin.

Presently, Anakin had just returned to the Chancellor's office. He stood front of the four guest chairs placed in a semicircle and the desk.

Anakin stood facing Palpatine, whom was sitting in his chair, across the desk from Anakin.

Palpatine looked at Anakin, as he asked, “So, how was your experience with Ms Moore?”

Anakin answered, “It was very informative. I did not realize how much work went into scheduling.”

Palpatine commented, “Yes. Ms Moore is a very dutiful and loyal subordinate.” He stood up from his chair.

As Palpatine walked to his right, around the desk, he said, “Anakin. I have a special request of you.” By this time, Palpatine had made his way to the front of the desk, with him stopping a meter from Anakin.

As both men looked at each other, as Palpatine stated, “I want you to be my personal representative on the Jedi High Council.”

Anakin sarcastically thought, 'Great. Both sides are trying to use me against each other.'

Anakin pointed out, “The various Jedi Councils elect their members from within the each Council. They will never accept such an appointment, even from a member of the Order.”

Palpatine responded, “They serve the Republic. They will follow orders from the Senate.”

Anakin asked, “Is this an order?”

Palpatine furrowed his brow, as he said, in an even tone of voice, “I hope it does not have to be.”

Anakin thought, 'I will see what Obiwan and the Order have to say about this. Later tonight, I will also talk to Padme and Ahsoka about this matter.'

Anakin stated, “I will do as you wish.” Anakin halfheartedly continued, “Though, it is likely I will be thrown out of the Order within the week.”

Anakin realized, as he mentally reflected, 'Which would not be that bad of a situation. If I was thrown out of the Order due to internal politics beyond my control, it would solve a lot of problems for myself without the serious consequences of me trying to leave the Order during a time of war.'

Palpatine relaxed his brow, as he responded, “Not a worry. Should that happen...” His lips curled into a slight grin, as he continued, “You will always have a place here.”

Anakin replied, “Thank you, Chancellor.”

Palpatine commented, “Now, there is no point in wasting time. As you head over there, I will inform the Council of my orders.”

Anakin said, “Yes sir.”

Anakin turned and he headed towards the exit to the Chancellor's office, which was across the room from him. Anakin took the interior set of stairs to his left, down to the lower platform. Then, he passed by the two Red Guards standing at attention at opposite side of the alcove to the hallway entrance.

Palpatine watched Anakin leave.

When Anakin reached the double-doors, he pushed a button on the panel by the doors to open the doors. The doors slid open and Anakin walked out into the small hallway. He headed for an elevator to take him to the level where he had parked his speeder vehicle.

As soon as the slid double-doors closed behind Anakin, Palpatine thought, 'Sometimes it is just too easy. This will only create a wedge between him and the Jedi council. If I am lucky. By this time next week, I will have successfully separated him from both the Jedi Order, and Padme. Then, he will be mine... But first, I have to contact the Jedi High Council. They should be in a meeting right now. I have to remain calm. If I am too giddy, the Jedi High Council members will become suspicion.'

Palpatine turned and he headed back to sit in his chair, as his desk. He was already formulating what he would say, once he contacted the Jedi High Council.

As Supreme Chancellor, Sheev Palpatine had access to a special holo-comm number that put him directly in touch with the Jedi High Council. The Jedi High Council had a similar holo-comm number to put them in touch with the Supreme Chancellor.

(_)

By the time Anakin made it where he parted his speeder in an open alcove of the Senate building that was set aside for government officials to park their speeder, including Jedi, it was fourteen hundred sharp, local time.

At that moment, inside one of the upper levels of Senate Building, Padme came to the desk of the droid secretary outside of the office of Lord Speaker Mas Amedda.

The desk was in the center of a small hallway, with the doors to the Lord Speaker's office being located a few meters behind the droid secretary.

Padme wore the same white gown and white slippers she had on earlier that day.

Padme was alone. She had already left her small blaster pistol and her thigh holster in a secret hiding place in her office.

Also, Ahsoka was currently waiting in Padme's office for Padme to return.

Padme stood in front of a droid secretary, as she looked at the droid.

When the droid looked towards Padme. Padme noticed this.

Padme stated, “I am Senator Amidala. I have an appointment with Lord Speaker Amedda.”

The droid said, “Senator Amidala, you are expected.”

The droid pressed a button at its desk.

Padme overheard the droid said, “Lord Speaker. Senator Amidala is here to see you.”

Over the intercom speaker, Padme heard Mas' voice say, “Send her in.”

The droid pressed a button and the double-doors behind the droid slid open.

Padme walked around to her right. She passed by the droid's desk and she walked into the Lord Speaker's office.

As Padme walked inside the Lord Speaker's office, she saw that the office was much like Chancellor's office, only it a smaller and less complex office.

The Lord Speaker's office was one floor and lacked the entryway alcove. Though, the back of the Lord Speaker's office had the main circular part like the Chancellor's office was in same shape and size. This included large windows that wrapped around the office.

The windows offered plenty of light into the room and allowed for a wonderful view of the cityscape.

As Padme walked further into the office, she heard the double-doors behind her slid closed behind her.

Ahead of her, Padme saw near the windows, across the room from the doors was a desk. There were two chairs set in front of the desk, facing the desk, with the chairs being a meter apart. Padme saw Mas sitting in a chair behind the desk, looking at her.

Mas was in the same clothing as he had earlier that day.

On top of the desk itself was the roughly two meter long Speaker's Staff. The staff was placed long ways, on two holders, with each holder set equally to on the sides of the desk, at the front of the desk, near the guest chairs. The figure at the top of the staff was facing Padme's right side. The staff was balanced and would stay in place.

In addition, Padme saw two male Senate Guards standing by the desk, side by side, to her right side.

The guards were facing her. One guard was standing by the side of the desk to his right, with the other guard standing to his left.

The Senate Guards wore in their blue armor and helmets.

Each Senate Guard carried a stunstaff in their right hand.

Padme did not care if these were the same guards that accompanied Mas into Padme's office earlier that day, or if they were a different pair of guards.

As Padme came closer to the desk, she saw that Mas and officers were looking at her.

Padme thought, 'While I left my blaster pistol in my office with Ahsoka, I am glad I hid my lock picks in my clothing. I may need them. Also, I need to remember that this conversation is likely being recorded by some hidden cameras and microphones. I need to watch what I say and do. But, if my plan works, I will not need to worry about such recordings.'

By then, Padme came to a stop in front of the desk, between the two guest chairs.

Padme and Mas calmly looked at each other, with both of them having neutral expressions on their faces.

Mas said, “Senator Amidala.”

Padme replied, “Lord Speaker Amedda.”

Mas offered, “Senator. If you will have a seat, we will get down to business.”

Padme calmly said, “I would prefer to stand.”

Mas replied, “Have it your way.”

Padme requested, “You claim I may have connections to espionage. I wish to see your evidence.”

Mas complimented, “Cutting to the chase. I respect that.” Mas continued, in a stern tone of voice, “Still. These are matters which go back for years. During my investigation, as I looked into your background, many questions arose.”

Padme thought, 'I have to be careful not to incriminate myself. So, we will take this step by step.'

Padme said, “Then, we will deal with this one question at a time.”

Mas responded, “I hope you would be willing to do so. Let us start with your diplomatic missions. The elapsed time of the missions and the travel time do not add up. I have a few documented missions, where you were on one side of galaxy one day, and you were on the other side of the galaxy the next day.”

Padme thought, 'I guess someone in the Jedi Order did not check their math and geography in helping me with my alibis. I will have to be careful how I answer this.'

Padme answered, “I believe someone has made mistakes in the timestamp dates of their documents. Should you desire to give me a list of these inconsistencies and I will check them with my own logs.”

Mas questioned, “How will I not know that you will alter you logs?”

Padme suggested, “We will have an impartial group do the audit of both our logs.”

Mas responded, “Do you believe I cannot be impartial?”

Padme carefully answered, “I doubt anyone within the Senate is without bias.”

Mas conceded, “Fair enough. As long as it is not the Jedi whom does the audit.”

Padme thought, 'It is not secret I am friends with the Jedi Order.'

Padme replied, “That will be fine.”

Padme thought, 'If my plan does not work. Finding such an impartial group will at least buy me time until I can find out how to handle those questions.'

Mas stated, “Now, there are still other questions. You have pulled together a group of Senators whom are quietly opposing the war and the Supreme Chancellor's war powers.”

Padme thought, 'That has to come out eventually.' Padme said, “This is the Senate. The whole point is for us to discuss and decide on the course of various topics. Even the policies the Chancellor disagrees with. Such debate comes with the job.”

Mas mentioned, “Very true. But, during my investigation, I ran across several data logs from a few years ago. These logs showed that unusual, encrypted communications were being sent from an office near your office. Senator Amidala. The communications were traced to a data relay satellite in a nearby system which is known to be used by the Separatists. The office in question has direct ties to you.”

Padme thought, 'That must be Jar Jar. I will figure out what to say in a minute. But, what else do you have to say?'

Padme requested, “Before we get to that. Is there anything else you wish to mention?”

Mas answered, “Yes. It has come to my attention that a month ago you hired a Ms Ahsoka Tano as your assistant. I find it disconcerting that you hired her, after the Jedi Order threw her out over suspicions of Ms Tano committing acts of terrorism.”

Padme took offensive at what Mas was alluding too. She thought, 'Given you position in the Senate, it is no surprise you learned the basics of what happened. Now here is the truth.' She stated, “Ms Tano was clear of any wrong doing, and those charges were dropped.”

Mas pointed out, “The dropping of charges does not mean Ms Tano was innocent of those accusations. Also, Senator Amidala. You are very close to the Jedi. Some would say too close for a Senator.”

Padme maintained an outward mask of calm, as inwardly she felt rage. She thought, 'I will not let you go down this road.'

Padme flatly stated, “This meeting is over.”

Mas responded, “Fine. But, you will not be leave. I will have my answers. Guards. Please detain the Senator.”

The guards walked around to stand right behind Padme. A guard flanking her right side, and a guard flanking her left side.

Padme thought, 'I guess I may have to be a little more aggressive in my plans.'

Padme continued to face Mas, as she warned, “Taking this course of action would be extremely unwise of you.”

From behind, the guard to her right suddenly laid his left hand on Padme's right shoulder.

Without warning, Padme turned to her right, as she gripped the guards left hand. Then, she did a side kicked with her right foot into that right guard's stomach, as she let go of the guard. The kick knocked him down to the ground. As the guard hit the ground, he dropped his stunstaff.

After the kick, Padme continued to turn to her right, as she set her right foot down.

While not stopping, and before the other guard could react, she swiftly did a round house kick to the right side of the guard's chest, under his right arm. The blow knocked the guard to the ground, with him letting go of his stunstaff.

By then, Padme had turned back to face Mas, as her left foot hit the floor.

Padme swiftly used her picked up the speakers staff from the place from its holders on the top of the desk.

Padme spun the staff in her her hands and around her body. As she spun the staff, Padme was mindful not to hit anything around her.

Then, Padme suddenly had the staff come to stop across the top of desk, her left hand further along the staff than her right, with her body slightly turned to her right when facing the desk.

Though, what Mas was most concerned about was very top of the figure at the end staff has come to a stop less than three centimeters from the front of his nose.

Mas did not move, as he looked up at Padme. He remained silent as he noticed a coldness in Padme's eyes that was not there a minute ago.

Padme maintained her stance, as she calmly offered, “Call them off, and I will give you your answers.”

Mas continued to look at Padme, as he responded, “Fine. Guards remain where you are.”

The guards behind Padme did as Mas had ordered, and they remained on the ground. They did not go for their weapons.

Padme thought, 'Well, I guess I am going to have to tell the Lord Speaker and these two guards as much as I can without putting everyone I know in danger. I was planning to do this more subtly. But, I guess I am going to have to be more direct. Still, I know that Mas and the guards are all professional enough keep these secrets within the Senate walls.'

Padme slowly moved the staff away from Mas. She turned to have her body face the front of the desk, as she held the staff near the center, in front of her waist. The figure on the staff was facing to her left.

As Padme removed the staff from in front of Mas' face, she saw Mas' facial expression and body language relax.

Padme held back at smile at how she had gained control of the situation.

Padme stated, “You are correct. I am a spy. I am with Republic Intelligence.” She thought, 'That is not exactly a lie.'

Mas flatly replied, “What?! This would change everything.”

Padme responded, “I am glad you feel that way, because for the last six years I have been doing covert missions for the Republic.”

Mas asked, “How did you go from a senator to a spy?”

Padme said, “In many cases it is the perfect cover. While my name is well known, it is not well known that I have used body-doubles for myself for months at the time. Not even my friends were the wiser. From time to time, I have even fooled the Jedi.”

Mas replied, “From what I am seeing, I do not doubt that.”

Padme pointed out, “Everyone sees the regalia and makeup. Not the face underneath.”

Mas conceded, “I guess so. What about your little group of Senators?”

Padme answered, “They do not know about my missions. I have seen enough of this war to wish it to end, with the Republic still standing.”

Mas questioned, “Okay. Everyone has a right to their opinion. But, what about those communications from the office near yours?”

Padme stated, “You are correct, again. Those communications were likely sent to the Separatists. But, the transmissions were sent by the person that office use to belong too. Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks, whom is now dead.”

Mas commented, “I thought Representative Binks was the Coruscant Beast.”

Padme responded, “Representative Binks was the Coruscant Beast.” She lied, “You have your facts reversed. I returned to the Senate Building over those transmissions. To hunt for whomever was spying for Separatists. When we were finally able to trace the transmissions to Representative Bink's office, we confronted Representative Binks. Unfortunately, he had a big surprise we did not know about. In the end he was dealt with. The only reason we did not make this public is that it would have embarrassed the Senate. Though, it seems that we did not do a through job of cleaning up after ourselves. That there were some data logs we forgot to classify and delete from the official records.”

Mas said, “I can see why you would want to keep that matter quiet. Oversights like that do happen. At least someone from outside of the Senate did not find this data.”

Padme replied, “A fact I am thankful for.”

Mas questioned, “Still, what about Ms Tano?”

Padme explained, “I have fought along side Ms Tano in many battles, in hellholes you could not even begin to imagine. I trust her with my life. When the Jedi Order kicked her out, I saw an opportunity to have someone with Jedi training, whom I trust, to serve as my assistant.”

Mas responded, “When you put it that way, I can see how one could view that as a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Padme said, “Exactly.”

Mas stated, “Okay. I have my answers. This is all I wanted to know.” He looked in the direction of the Senate Guards on the ground. He continued, “We will overlook this present indiscretion.” Mas looked back at Padme. He went onto say, “I will insure that all records of this conversation are destroyed.”

Padme thought, 'Good. I do not have to ask you to destroy such recordings and risk owing you a favor for doing so. The Blue Guards here know to keep quiet about this matter. I know you will order them to not talk about this with anyone. Not even their own superiors in the Blue Guard. And the superiors in the Blue Guard will not question orders from Lord Speaker concerning matters between Senators.'

'Also, you are not going to ask Republic Intelligence if I am a member of their organization. By doing so you will risk crossing Republic Intelligence. Even the Chancellor does not fulling control Republic Intelligence and no one, not even members of the Senate are immune from their influence. Especially during wartime.'

'Though, I do have a few allies in Republic Intelligence whom owe me favors that I can call in, if the situation requires doing so.'

Padme commented, “That would be most appreciated.”

Mas said, “You are free to go.”

Padme calmly replied, “Thank you.”

Padme reversed her grip of the staff to where the figure on the top of the staff pointed to her right.

Padme gently placed the staff back in its holders, at the front of the desk, as it has been before she entered the room, with the figure on the staff pointing to her right.

Then, Padme turned and headed for the door.

After Padme passed by the two guards, the two guards began to get up off the floor. Neither guard being seriously injured.

No one tried to stop Padme.

Soon Padme reached the double-doors, she used a button on a nearby panel to open the doors. After the doors slid open, she walked out into the hallway.

A few seconds later, the doors slid closed, with Mas left figuring out how he was going to explain that the tip he told the Chancellor about, that Padme was a spy for the Separatists, did not check out.

Meanwhile, Padme walked pass the desk of Mas' droid secretary. Padme walks to to the left of the desk, as she made it to a large hallway. After Padme made it to the hallway, she headed to a nearby elevator turbo lift which would take her to the left her office was on. From there, Padme would make it to her office, and give Ahsoka the good news.

(_)

Half an hour later, Anakin had reached the Jedi Temple, and he flew his blue speeder in the entrance of the hangar bay assigned to it. Anakin had use the comlink in the speeder to contact Jedi Temple officials to have the hangar bay doors open.

Once the outer hangar doors opened, Anakin flew his speeder inside and he parked his speeder.

A minute after Anakin entered hangar, the outer doors to the hangar closed by the Jedi officials whom opened the doors.

Anakin parked his speeder and turned on the engine to the vehicle. Then, he got out of the speeder and he made his way to the High Council Tower.

Anakin did not stop to retrieve his lightsaber and lightsaber holster, which were inside a drawer, in his desk, in his personal quarters, inside the Jedi Temple.

Anakin had to walk down a few hallways and take an elevator to reached the High Council Tower.

When Anakin reached anti-chamber, he began to walk towards the intercom on a nearby wall, near the double-doors to the High Council chamber.

Just as Anakin was about to reach the intercom the doors to the Council Chambers slid open.

Anakin came to a stop, as he looked inside the chamber.

From inside the room, Anakin heard Obiwan's voice say, “Jedi Skywalker. Walk inside.”

As Anakin walked inside, he thought, 'I do not want to know what exactly the Chancellor told them. But, I am sure they did not have a pleasant reaction to the Chancellor's orders over this matter.'

By then, Anakin came to stop in the center of the room.

Anakin looked around, he saw a few of the seats were empty. Though, most of the seats either had council members in them, or had the holograms of council being broadcast by holo-comm from other locations throughout the galaxy.

Though, what most concerned Anakin the most was from the facial expressions of the members of Jedi High Council, they did not look happy.

Anakin thought, 'I see I was right. Even Obiwan and Yoda are not happy. I better say something so I do not end up in worst trouble than I already am.'

Anakin looked around the room, as he calmly stated, “This was not my idea. It was made clear I had little choice in the matter.”

Yoda admitted, “ We believe you. Out played we were.”

Mace commented, “Still you will not be given the rank of Master. And once we sort this out, you will be removed from this position.”

Anakin calmly replied, “I understand.”

Obiwan said, “Take a seat to the first empty chair to your left. Sadly, we had a vacancy open up since this morning.”

Anakin understood that meant one of the High Council members had died. Anakin did not dare ask what happened. Though, he guessed this likely meant the council member was killed in an accident, or in battle.

Anakin quietly walked the nearby empty armchair to his left, and he sat down in the chair.

As the Jedi High Council session restarted, Anakin remained quiet as he began one of the most awkward afternoons of his life.

(_)

That evening, near sunset, the last council session for the day was adjourned. Those present were informed the next council meeting would be at nine hundred the next morning.

Anakin felt he needed to leave as quickly as possible.

Anakin swiftly exited the high council chambers, down an elevator that would lead to his personal quarters.

While Anakin had skipped lunch, after the day he was having, he was not hungry and he did not intent to eat dinner anytime soon.

Anakin soon reached his personal quarters.

After Anakin retrieved his lightsaber and lightsaber holster from his personal quarters, with his holster on the left side of his belt, and the his deactivated lightsaber hilt in the holster, he left his personal quarters. He headed to the hangar bay he had parked his blue speeder.

Once Anakin was in his speeder, by comlink he contacted the Jedi officials by in charge of the hangar day, and he had them open the outer doors to the hangar.

After the hangar bay doors were open, he flew his speeder out of the hangar and into the sky, towards a skylane which would take him towards the Senate District, to Padme's home.

The sky was partly cloudy, but Anakin had no trouble flying into his intended skylane and through the traffic of the skylanes.

A minute later, the outer doors to the hangar bay were closed.

It was sunset by the time Anakin reached the apartment building Padme and Ahsoka lived in.

As Anakin approached the building, the force allowed him to sense that both Padme and Ahsoka were inside the living room of Padme's apartment.

A few minutes later, he parked his speeder in the parking level of the apartment building.

Anakin got out of the speeder and he walked to the elevator leading to Padme's appartment.

Anakin used a code on the panel by the elevator to open the elevator and take him to Padme's apartment.

Anakin did not announce him by intercom to Padme and Ahsoka because he had come there often enough that he did not need to announce himself. Besides, he was married to Padme.

When elevator opened to Padme's home, Anakin walked into the hallway.

A few seconds later, the elevator doors slid closed behind Anakin.

Anakin continued down the hallway towards the living room, where he sensed Padme and Ahsoka were at.

When Anakin reached the living room, he came to a stop just inside the doorway. He looked across the room at Padme and Ahsoka.

Both Padme and Ahsoka were wearing the clothing they had on earlier that day.

Anakin saw that Padme was sitting in the couch facing the windows, with her slippers off. She was stretched out on the couch, with her feet propped up on the table between the two couches, as she had a datapad in her hand, reading something.

Padme white slipped on the floor under her legs.

Meanwhile, Ahsoka sat in the couch across the table from Padme. Ahsoka was sitting upright, on the side of the couch closet Anakin. She had on her yellow slippers.

Ahsoka was using the holo-monitor on the table, to watch a holo-movie, with the volume set at a comfortable level.

Anakin calmly said, “Hello.”

Both Padme and Ahsoka heard Anakin. They turned to see Anakin standing in the doorway which lead to the hallway where the elevator entrance was located.

Padme immediately sat up, with her feet on the floor, as she set the datapad in her hands on the table.

While look at Anakin, Padme was able to use her feet to feel her way to slipping on her white slippers over her feet, with the proper slipper on the proper foot.

Ahsoka turned to the holo-monitor. She leaned over to turn off the holo-monitor broadcast. She leaned up and looked over at Anakin.

Padme calmly said, “Hello Anakin.”

Ahsoka asked, “Hey. How are you doing?”

Anakin walked over to them, as he answered, “It has been a long day.”

Ahsoka commented, “It has been about the same for us.”

By then, Anakin reached the couches.

Padme moved over to her right, to make room for Anakin. Anakin sat down beside Padme, to Padme's left side.

Anakin alternated between looking Padme and Ahsoka, as he asked, “Do you want to go first? Or, should I?”

Padme stated, “I will go first. Ahsoka and I were having a pleasant morning in my office when Lord Speaker Mas Amedda came into my office. He was escorted by two Senate Guards in full blue armor, helmet, and stunstaff in hand. After a brief discussion, he accused me of espionage. Then, he forced me to meet with him later in the afternoon.”

Anakin questioned, “Why did you not contact me about this?”

Padme said, “I knew I could handle the matter.”

Anakin inquired, “Alright. So what happened at the meeting?”

Padme answered, “I went alone. And I was able to sort the matter out.”

Anakin casually asked, “How aggressive did the situation become?”

Padme said, in a relaxed tone of voice, “Not as much as you would expect.”

Anakin questioned, “Anything we need to worry about?”

Padme answered, “I doubt it.”

Anakin replied, “Good.”

Ahsoka inquired, “Now, what happened to you?”

Anakin commented, “Surprisingly, more than what happened to Padme.”

Padme asked, “Which was?”

Anakin answered, in a casual tone of voice,”Committing espionage against the Galactic Republic. First against the Chancellor. Then against the Jedi High Council.”

Padme and Ahsoka could barely believe what they heard.

Padme calmly requested, “Please, explain.”

Anakin stated, “This morning, I was summoned to meet with the Jedi High Council. Where they ordered me to spy on the Chancellor. After my meeting, I privately contacted the Chancellor. And I was able to see him on short notice. Still, the council wanted me to to keep this secret. But, I felt you both needed to know. If this blows up, I want you two to know why and for you both to be able to plan accordingly.”

Ahsoka gratefully replied, “We appreciate that.”

Padme said, “To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Please, continue.”

Anakin went onto say, “I met with the Chancellor and I spent a few hours in the Senate Building. Afterward, the Chancellor had an assignment for me. He used his authority to have me assigned to be a member of the Jedi High Council.”

Padme said, “Oh... This is not good...”

Anakin replied, “No. It isn't.”

Ahsoka held back her snickering, as she sarcastically commented, “I bet that went over well with the council.”

Anakin responded, “Yea. After returning to the Jedi Temple, my reception towards the Jedi Council was colder than the surface of Hoth. Still, they realized I was not at fault. They allowed me sit on in their meetings until this could be sorted out.”

Padme stated, “While this is bad. At least the council does not blame you for this.”

Anakin commented, “I believe they realized this was more their fault than anyone else.”

Padme replied, “I hope so.”

Ahsoka commented, “I bet that was an interesting set of meetings.”

Anakin stated, “More like boring and awkward. This was the longest afternoon of my life.”

Ahsoka said, “I can see that.”

Padme stated, with concern in her tone of voice, “Anakin. I am sure you realize that you are in a dangerous position.”

Anakin responded, “Oh. I do. And I am not sure how to get out of this mess.”

Padme said, “Well, we need to figure out something before it is too late.”

Anakin commented, “I am open to any suggestions you have.”

Padme stated, “I need some time to think on this.”

Anakin said, “I doubt anything will happen tonight. So at least we have a little time.”

Padme agreed, “That is a good point.”

Anakin said, “I think I will stay here tonight. After everything that happened today, I do not want to get anywhere near the Jedi Temple until the Council members have time to calm down.” He lamented in thought, 'Though, I will have to return in the morning, before the first meeting at nine hundred.'

Padme replied, “I fully understand.”

Ahsoka asked, “What happened during your time with the Chancellor? And then the Council meeting afterward? I never really heard about such inner workings of those positions. I was wondering what happened.”

Anakin answered, “The Chancellor had me spend some time with his Senior Aide, Sly Moore. I learned some things about scheduling.”

Ahsoka commented, “That is not too bad.”

Padme mentioned, “That depends. I have heard rumors that Sly Moore is behind many cases of blackmail within the Senate, against those Senators whom opposed the Chancellor.”

Ahsoka inquired, “Were any of those targeted Senators within your group?”

Padme stated, “No. We all try to stay as clean as possible, so we would not become targets.” She look down at her stomach for a second, before looking back up at Ahsoka and Anakin. She continued, “Well, I tried.”

Ahsoka and Anakin understood what Padme alluding to.

Ahsoka commented, “That is a nice attempt to make.”

Anakin responded, “I always heard a rumor that some in the Jedi Order believe Ms Moore might be Sidious.”

Padme inquired, “Do you think she is?”

Anakin answered, “After spending some time with her. I do not believe so. She is cold. She has maybe a hint of the force. But, while her actions and the way she carries herself are calculated, she is way too busy with the Chancellor's scheduling and giving various press briefings to be Sidious.”

Ahsoka commented, “That is an interesting alibi.”

Anakin replied, “I agree.”

Ahsoka asked, “And the council?”

Anakin answered, “Mostly boring stuff. Though, I found out why they do not openly disclose their minutes.”

Ahsoka inquired, “Why?”

Anakin stated, “Because they like to bicker between each other on the most mundane of budgetary details. They even had a debate on what desserts should be served on what days for lunch in the templ mess hall.”

Padme commented, “That sounds like the senate session on a bad day.”

Ahsoka stated, “The Jedi Council and the Senate are likely more alike than either organization would care to admit.”

Anakin said, “That is very possible.” He continued, in a more confident tone of voice, “Still, even if I were to remain with the Jed Order after this mess is clear up. Once this war is over. Or, when our child is born. Which ever comes first. I am leaving the Jedi Order. I have fought so much for the Republic and the Order, that neither the Jedi Council, nor the Chancellor, can deny my request. I need to be a father more than a Jedi.”

Padme happily complimented, “That is very mature of you.”

Ahsoka agreed, “I will support you decision.”

Ahsoka looked at Padme and Anakin, with her seeing the couple looking at each other.

Ahsoka realized they needed some privacy. Ahsoka stood up. Ahsoka stated, “I am going to the kitchen to get something to eat. Do either of you want me to fix you something?”

Padme and Anakin turned to look at Anakin.

Padme answered, “No. I am fine.”

Anakin commented, “I will get something later.”

Ahsoka replied, “Okay.” Ahsoka turned and she left the room, as she headed for the kitchen.

Once Ahsoka was gone, Padme stood up.

Padme looked down at Anakin sitting on the couch.

Anakin looked up at Padme.

Padme said, “I need some fresh air. Let us talk on the balcony.”

Anakin stated, “That is fine with me.”

Anakin stood up.

The couple headed for the window door to the balcony.

As they approached the door, Anakin used the force to press a button on a panel next to the window terrace door to open the door.

The door slid up into the curved section ceiling.

The door was fully raised open by the time Padme and Anakin reached the doorway to the balcony.

The couple walked onto the terrace, all the way to the fair side of the meter high parapet.

Anakin and Padme came to a stop next to each other, by the parapet, with Padme being to Anakin's right side.

Padme turned to Anakin. She saw Anakin staring at cityscape and clouds which were illuminated by red, orange, and yellow hues of the sunset sky.

Anakin continued to look out passed the parapet, as he calmly stated, “I meant what I said. After we get through this current mess. And we will. When this war is over. Or, right before our child is born. Which comes first. I am leaving the Jedi Order.”

Anakin turned to Padme. They looked at each other, with Padme realizing that Anakin was serious.

Anakin continued, “I have fought enough battles for several lifetimes. We both have. I need to be a father more than a Jedi.”

Anakin then took a step forward and he gently hugged Padme.

Anakin said, on a comforting tone of voice, “We will make it through this.”

Padme embraced Anakin, as she softly replied, “I know.”

A few minutes later, they let go of each other and they headed back inside Padme's home, with Padme pressing an interior button to shut the translucent door to the balcony behind them.

(_)

Later that night, in the Senate Building, inside the Chancellor's office, Palpatine was sitting in his chair, at his desk.

Palpatine had already dismissed, the two Red Guards whom had been assigned to guard his office for the night.

Palpatine had used the controls on the top of his desk to dim the lights in the office to allow him a better look through the large windows of the office, of the cityscape outside, which was lit up at night.

Presently, Palpatine was had just used the holo-monitor on his desk to answer a holo-comm call he had been expecting.

In front of Palpatine, right above the desk, was a small hologram of Lord Speaker Mas Amedda.

Palpatine flatly requested, “Lord Speaker. State your report.”

Mas said, “Supreme Chancellor. My investigation in possible leaks within Senate has reached its conclusion. I believe I was mistaken in my earlier reports.”

Palpatine all but demanded, in an even tone of voice, “Please explain.”

Mas understood that specific tone of voice from Palpatine and Mas realized how dangerous a position he was in.

Mas responded, “At this present time, I do not believe that Senate Amidala is an enemy of the Republic. Discovery of curtain sensitive information pertaining to Senator Amidala precludes me from giving my full report to you at this moment. I will have to go through more thorough channels before sending you my full report. I have to verify some information. If this information checks out, I will have to personally hand deliver my report to you in an encrypted datapad, instead of electronically sending you the report.”

Palpatine questioned, “When will you sent me a recording of your conversation with Senator Amidala?”

Mas chose his words carefully, as he stated, “Unfortunately, do to recent revelations, I will not be able to send you a copy of that meeting. This concerns connections with Republic Intelligence. At this stage of the war, I cannot risk drawing the attention of Republic Intelligence towards the Senate.”

Palpatine was silent for a few seconds. Then, Palpatine agreed, “True.” Palpatine inquired, in a calm tone of voice, “Will you be able to give me your report?”

Mas answered, “Of course. Though, it will take time to put together.”

Palpatine asked, “How long will it be until I am able to see this report?”

Mas stated, “Should the information all check out on whom was leaking information from the Senate a few years ago, I should have a report to you, concerning this matter, within a week. Two weeks at most.”

Palpatine commented, “That will be fine. Keep me appraised of the situation.”

Mas replied, “Yes, Supreme Chancellor.”

Palpatine pressed a button on his desk to end the communication.

The hologram of Mas disappeared.

Palpatine swiveled his chair around to look at the cityscape being lit up at night from all the lights in the city and stars in the sky.

Palpatine mentally lamented, 'Ah, Padme. It is clear you are a shrewd as ever. Not only is Mas cautious with the information involving this matter, but what you told Mas caused him to be wary enough not to immediately share the information with me. Though, I will eventually get the information I desire from him.'

'Padme. I know the set up of the meeting Mas held with you in his office. From all this, I already have an idea of what you said to Mas.'

'Considering Mas mentioned Republic Intelligence, I can guess that you, Padme, claimed to be a member of that organization. That you were flushing out the real leak, but you did not cover your tracks as well as you believed.'

'You know enough about the Republic military and intelligence branches to fake being a member. And in a way, you are a spy. That is why I came up with this plan, because it would be easy to frame you. Unfortunately, you were able to convince Mas that you were a spy for the Republic.'

'This is why he refuses to turn over any recording of your conversation with him. He likely even destroyed the recordings, because he feels Republic Intelligence is such a danger to him.'

'Besides myself, Mas will not inform anyone about the meeting he held with you in his office. He will order the Blue Guards present not to discuss the meeting with anyone, even their superiors. Given I have crippled the Blue Guard and replaced much of their authority with my Red Guard, if I ask about this matter to those running the Blue Guard, they may give me the run around. They have much animosity towards myself.'

Palpatine's lips curled into a slight smile, as he mentally reflected, 'And it is hostility which is well earned.'

'Due to the mental training the Blue Guard undergoes, I doubt I could break the mind of a Blue Guard member without much power applied with the force. Doing so would not be worth such an effort because Mas will eventually tell me the important parts of what I need to know.'

Palpatine dropped his grin, as he continued his thoughts, 'While I am not happy that Mas will not give me the recordings, he is loyal and competent at his job. He is correct. We cannot risk outside attention towards the Senate at this stage of the war.'

'He knows the basics of what I have planned, and he wants to be a part of it. As long as he does his job well and he is loyal to myself, I will keep him around.'

'What none of you know. Not even Mas. Is that it was I whom gave Mas the anonymous tip in the first place to investigate for leaks within the Senate. Of course, he first came to me for permission to investigate and for advice. This allowed me to further direct the course of the investigation.'

'My hopes were that this investigation would lead to Senate Amidala being disgraced to the point she would resigned from the Senate. That would open the possibility of her returning to her more violent side, as the Storm Bringer. The warrior Thor. My enforcer. A side I am much more interested in.'

'Oh well. It was worth an attempt.'

'Still, Padme using the excuse of being tired of battle seems to ring hollow to me. Though, I supported her leave being extended because she could use a rest. I did not want to cause her to burn out.'

'Padme, I have invested much time and effort in you. I feel that if giving enough time, you will return to the battlefield.'

'But, I may not have that much time. Your timing could not have been worse. Events are moving fast. I may change my plans to exclude you. Thus making it very tempting to use one of several other options against you to remove you from the board of this game.'

'Though, my dear Padme. With you finding a way out of this trap shows that you have not lost you stomach. Maybe you will return to the game sooner than I believe. It would be a waste to get rid of you.'

'I will find out the real reason you left the battlefield. One way, or another. Until my hand is force, I will leave you and the student be.'

'After much thinking, I have recently realized, someone will has to be sacrificed to deal with Loki. This solves many of my problems I have been wondering about. I sacrifice one to kill Loki, while the other serves me.'

'I am not sure which I will sacrificed. But, this means I do not have to arrange a death match between my two options.'

'My plans with Anakin seem to be bearing fruit. The Jedi High Council sent him to spy on me. In response, I sent him back as my emissary on the Jedi High Council. No matter how the Jedi High Council reacts to my current political move, I will gain from their actions. The only question is what course of action they will take, and what response I will use to justify in destroying them.'

'Once the Jedi Order is removed from the game board, I can focus on other dangers within the Republic. I can still balance this war, while taking full control of the Republic.'

'Within the Galactic Republic, next to the Jedi Order, the Republic Intelligence is the most dangerous organization to my consolidation of power.'

'But, I have already had a number of officials within Republic Intelligence replaced with my own loyal subordinates. Republic Intelligence is not completely harmless to me. But, I have weakened them to the point they will not dare attack me on their own should they learn the truth about my identity.'

'Like the Jedi Order, if those members of Republic Intelligence learned the truth, they would be too paranoid to ask for outside help. That will lead to the undoing of them and the Republic itself, allowing me to turn this feeble Republic into a mighty empire under my control.'

'As for the Senate. Most of the Senators are blindly loyal to me. And even those whom oppose me know better than to openly cross me and defy my orders.'

'I have already slowly removed the power and influence the members of the Senate have on the rest of the Galaxy and I have transferred that power and influence to myself. I continue to do this. By the time I abolish the Senate, the Senate body will be a shell of its former self and everyone will consider the Senate to be a relic of the past that will be gratefully discarded.'

'That will be when I will truly have my Empire. Once I have abolished the Senate, I will turn my full attention towards crushing all internal and external threats.'

'My clone army will enforce my will. Those within the Empire will be brought to heel.'

'Then, I will abolish democracy and the member governments within my Empire. I will appoint planetary and sector governors, whom will control their appointed areas.'

'Afterward, I will crush, Loki, the Separatists, and anyone else whom stands in my way.'

Palpatine continued to plot and plan his next moves.

(_)

A few hours later, deep into the night.

In Padme's apartment, inside Padme's bedroom, Padme awoke from her sleep on the left side of her bed.

Padme turned to her right to see Anakin sound a sleep on his side of the bed.

Padme thought, 'So many problems. 'So few options. With no real solutions in sight. I am not going to get back to sleep anytime soon. I need to go for a walk.'

Without waking Anakin, Padme carefully got out of bed and she stood on the floor of her bedroom.

Padme was wearing a blue sleeveless nightgown which went down to her knees. She put on some blue slippers which she has set by her side of the bed.

The lights from the cityscape passed through the sides of the curtained windows of the bedroom to provided Padme with plenty of ambient illumination to see with.

Padme quietly walked over to her chest of drawers.

On top of the chest was a small jewelry box. Padme quietly opened the box.

Even in the dim light, Padme could clearly see into the box.

Inside the box was Anakin's cut training braid that he gave her the night he passed his Jedi Trials and became a Jedi Knight. Other items inside the box included some personal mementos and jewelry. Also, there were several reward metals and ribbons for valor and heroism, which Padme had earned as Thor during her tours of duty.

Padme even kept the keycard from the Blue Deckard Hotel on Cloud City in her jewelry box. Padme kept the keycard as a reminder that some negotiation missions would not be resolved peacefully.

After roughly a minute of looking into the box, Padme quietly closed the box. Then, she turned and she took soft steps as she headed for the hallway doors.

Padme opened the doors to the hallway by pressing a button on a panel on a wall near the doors. The sound of the doors sliding open did not wake Anakin. The interior doors in Padme's home were set to not automatically close on their own.

After the doors fully opened, Padme walked into the hallway, as she headed for her living room.

The city lights coming through the translucent windows in the hallway allowed Padme to see clearly.

A few seconds later, to Padme's left, Padme silently passed by the guest bedroom where Ahsoka was sleeping. The door to the bedroom was closed. Though, Padme know about Ahsoka's hearing and echolocation abilities, Padme was as silent as she could be.

Due to Ahsoka's hearing and echolocation abilities, when Padme played music, she kept the volume at a reasonable level.

When Padme reached the living room, the balcony was to her right.

The cities lights came in from the windows around the room to provide plenty of ambient light.

Padme walked to her right around couches and table near over center of the room. After passing the couches and table, she turned to her left to head to the far corner.

The corner was to the left of the entryway of the hallway leading to the elevator, and to the right of the wall and windows across the room from the balcony.

Padme came to a stop by the corner on the far wall, where she had set Mjolnir on its head, on a small table.

Padme turned to her left to walk further down the far wall, near the windows opposite to the balcony.

Padme came to stand next to the middle of a large display case that was slightly over meter height.

The brown wooden table was rectangular in shape. The table was a meter high from the floor to the flat top of the table. The table was two and a half meters long and sixty centimeters in depth to the wall. The table has six brown wooden legs. Two on the sides of the middle and a leg on each corner.

The case that was mounted to the table was flush on all sides with the top of the table.

The case was a rectangular shape, above the platform was a clear blast resistance case, with a numerical pad lock on the side. The case was thirty centimeters high, sixty centimeter maters in depth, and over two and a half meters running across the wall.

Inside the case was her large bone sword trophy, whom she took from Grievous in his stronger form, after she defeated him while she was Thor, in Jonas Town, on the planet Sigma Alpha Nine.

The flat of the blade facing up and down, and small holders place along the interior of the case to hold up the sword. The tip of the blade was to Padme's right side, with the hilt being to Padme's left side.

Padme looked at the large sword in the dim light coming from the city outside.

Padme's lips curled into a slight grin, as she thought, with pride, 'A worthy trophy.'

Padme dropped her smile. She thought, “I need some fresh air.'

Padme turned around to look across the room at the translucent doors to the balcony.

Padme thought, 'But, the balcony won't do. And with no more death marks on me. I can enjoy the veranda.'

Padme turned and she headed out of the room towards the hallway which lead to the veranda.

Padme entered into the hallway, and she made her way down a set of steps that took her to the double-doors leading to the open air veranda outside.

While the double-doors leading from the interior of Padme's apartment to the veranda were locked on the outside, thus requiring a passcode the outside keypad by the doors, the interior side of the doors could be opened by a single press of a button on a panel by the interior side of the doors.

Padme pressed the button on the panel and the doors opened. She pressed another button on the panel so the doors would stay open. This was because the exterior doors of Padme's home were set to automatically close after a few seconds, unless set to do otherwise. While her interior doors were set to open and stay open, unless the doors were manually closed.

The double-doors slid open and Padme walked outside onto the covered veranda. The open air room had a high ceiling. There were white columns lining the outside of the walls. With white drapes tied to the columns.

The veranda had a white, red, and black motif using painted curves and circles within circle in the room.

In the center of the room, there were a pair of curved, cushioned benches facing each other, with each bench having a small table placed on the sides of the bench. Each of the four tables having a lamp on it.

The lamps on the four tables were currently turned off.

Pass the benches, closer to the edge there was a small fountain in the center of the room

The edge of the veranda had to large black statues facing each other, with the center of the edge extending just fair another to allow a speed to dock there. So, Padme could be picked up from that point.

The veranda offered a wonderful view of the city. The lights from the city offered plenty of light to see with at night.

Padme slowly paced back and forth, between the benches and the entryway leading into her home. Padme hugged herself as she moved around the room.

While Padme walked, she thought, with worry, 'What am I going to do?'

'I am dealing with the fact that I am pregnant. So, I cannot fight in the war. Still, the Chancellor continues to gain power and influence the Senate, and the is nothing I can do to stop this.'

'Also, this mess with the Lord Speaker was a close call. This is a reminder that my limited time is the least of my worries. The Chancellor still has his eye on me.'

'To add to my woes, the Jedi Council and the Chancellor have turned Anakin against each other, leaving Anakin in a no win situation. I am not even sure how to get him out of this mess.'

'I am beginning to realize that even if Anakin was able to extricate himself from the strings by both the Jedi Council and the Chancellor, he would never know peace. They will not let him go. He is to powerful. And so am I.'

'Anakin, Ahsoka, and myself, might have to make a break with it. With Mjolnir. And run. But, where do we run too?'

'The only place both the Chancellor and the Jedi would think twice about follow us to is the Separatists. Do so would be heartbreaking. We would be declared traitors and this would advance the Chancellor's agenda even more so.'

'And there is no guarantee that Loki, or others in the Separatist government might not force use to fight for the Separatists.'

'The same problems would be from almost any of the local governments whom know who we are.'

'The exception would be Naboo and Alderaan. I know the government on Naboo would do there best. But, I know first hand out weak Naboo is from foreign invaders. On Alderaan, while Bail's wife is the Queen of Alderaan, she would be in the same position as the government of Naboo.'

'I have consider maybe Wild Space or the Unknown Regions. If we attempted to do so, the closest such area from here is to the west. The only places out to the west I know of are the insect Killik hives, the Inocs, and the Chiss.'

'Bail once told me that Alderaan has a long history with the Killik. They are normally peaceful in that if you left them alone they would leave you alone. But, they are known be very war like. Those people whom venture too close to their nests are either killed. or they are taken to join their hivemind.'

'Personally, I like my individuality.'

'I have caused the Inocs enough trouble and the homeworld of the Inocs, Inoc Sev, currently have a Republic presence there. From what I last heard, the Inocs are doing fine.'

'What little I know of the Chiss are that they are a very closed society. The few times their people ventured into the known galaxy were as mercenaries during war. In battle the Chiss were known as cunning officers and warriors whom has almost no peer in guile and strategy.'

'I have heard a rumor that there is a Chiss was working as a naval officer for the Republic. But, I never bothered to check that out. Chances are the officer is not that important. Besides, I have more important concerns than looking into the personal lies of other people.'

'We could try to had to the further place from Coruscant that is on the edge of civilization.'

'The further I place I can think of is Cloud City on Bespin. While it has been years since that horrible mission. I do not want to go back there. There are to may bad blood on both sides.'

'I could move my funds into secret bank accounts and buy a new ship and we could keep traveling. But, eventually someone would track us down either in person, or from finding my secret bank accounts. Or, I could go broke.'

'This is not taking into account what happens in the war. If the Separatist win, we will be hunted down for our roles in fighting the separatists in the war. If the Republic wins, we will be hunted as deserters.'

'Eventually, one side or the other is going to win. When that happens, the galaxy will be reshaped by the victors. And I doubt the new nation will be recognizable from what the Republic once was.'

'But, we may not have enough time to consider any of these options.'

'I feel that a storm is coming. Like events are about to come about that no one can stop. This deeply troubles me.'

Padme let go of her chest with both her arms. She placed her right hand on the small bump on her stomach. She mentally asked, 'Where am I going to be? What am I going to be able to do when this storm finally arrives?'

By then, Padme was facing the outer end of the veranda.

From behind Padme, she heard a voice near her say, “Trouble sleeping?”

Padme came to a stop, she dropped her hands to her sides. She turned to see Ahsoka standing three meters from her. Ahsoka was wearing a loose blue t-shirt and dark red shorts.

Padme admitted, “Yes. I apologize for waking you up.”

Ahsoka stated, “I wasn't asleep. I heard you walk by. I am worried about Anakin, as well.”

Padme said, “It is not just that. Today was a real close call with the Lord Speaker. If things had not gone well, I could have ended up in prison.”

Ahsoka commented, “But, you didn't.” She walked up to Padme, as she continued, “You were able to beat the Lord Speaker at his game.” By then, she came to a stop just in front of Padme.

Padme looked at Ahsoka, as she admitted, “It was so much easier when I could use Mjolnir to smash my problems.”

Ahsoka agreed. “True.”

Padme thought, 'I need to tell her. So even if something like this happens again, she knows.'

Padme walked over a few steps towards Ahsoka. When Padme reached Ahsoka, she came to a stop and she gently hugged Ahsoka.

Padme said, “Ahsoka. I have known you for six years. I want you to know that I think of you as a daughter. And I care about you.”

Ahsoka gently returned Padme's hug, as she replied, “I know. I do not remember much of my own parents. But, you have been a great foster mother.”

Padme smiled, as she responded, “I am glad to feel that way. Also, please understand. Anakin has had a lot of... difficulties when it comes to his own peers. He did not have a father... And when it comes to his mother, it is a very painful subject for him. But, he told me that he also thinks of you as his daughter and he does care about you.”

Ahsoka replied, “I know.”

Padme let go of Ahsoka, and she took a few steps back. Ahsoka allowed her hug to loosen and let go, as Padme stepped away.

As Padme came to a stop a few steps away from Ahsoka, both of them dropped their arms to their sides.

Padme stated, “Do not worry about getting up. After the day we all had, we will take day off, tomorrow. Now, let us go get some rest.”

Ahsoka smiled, as she said, “Thanks... Mother.” Ahsoka turned and headed back into their home.

Padme giggled a little at Ahsoka's comment. Then, she followed behind her young charge.

As Padme went inside, she closed and locked the double-doors to the veranda behind her.

Soon, both of them had returned to their bedrooms and beds.

Padme not disturb Anakin, as she got back into her side of the bed.

Within a few minutes of returning to their beds, both Padme and Ahsoka had fallen back to sleep.

(_)

A few days before the Jedi High Council and Chancellor played Anakin against each other. In a hidden place on the northeastern Outer Rim, in a secret rendezvous location for the Confederacy, there was a fleet of Confederacy battleships and support ships.

At the front of the Confederacy Armada was the Confederacy flagship, the Malevolence.

Standing on the bridge, near each other was Loki and Grievous. Loki stood further from the windows, while Grievous was closer to the make windows.

Grievous was looking out the windows he stood near, and towards the Separatists ships in the distance.

Due to how close the ships were to each other, all the ships each had their outer hull lights on to help prevent them from accidentally colliding with each other. The skills and cooperative work with the various navigation crews has prevent any such collisions from happening in this Confederate fleet.

Though, for a fleet of this size, the ships were all connected to a slave drive system when is came to long distance travel through normal space and travel through hyperspace. When there was a battle, the slave drive system was shut down, and the navigational groups of each ship communicated with each other to coordinate their ship movements in battle with one another, their superiors, their starfighters, bombers, and other smaller vehicles, while they all fault various ships their enemy fleets used against them.

Loki was wearing her on of her formal green and brown outfits. Which was her green skintight bodysuit, brown fur coat, brown boots and brown leather belt around her waist.

Grievous was in his normal form. He wore his gray naval uniform and had had a white bone mask covering his face. The bone mask has brown leather straps what went around his orange head to hold the mask in place. On the back of his head the brown leather straps were held together by a bronze buckle.

A mix of droids, humans, near-humans, and alien personnel manned the various bridge controls.

Of the bridge crew, the human, near-human, alien bridge crew officers wore light gray officer's uniforms. The droids only had on their armor.

Loki looked around the bridge, as she mentally reflect, 'I love it when a plan comes together.'

'And this plan has been a long time in the making.'

'It was not easy.'

Loki turned to look at Grievous. She continued her thought, 'But, with the help of other people, I was able to arrange for this situation.'

'Where we secretly built another fleet, while slowly tricking the Republic forces to spread themselves away from the Core Worlds. Away from Coruscant.'

'Many of the ships of this fleet were made from several ship yards, with each yard only building a few ships. Thus preventing a full accounting of my forces.'

'The rest of our ships came from pulling a few ships here and there, along our front lines and other areas.'

'Though, there is evidence the Republic leadership may have begun to realize that we have a vastly larger force than they first realized. The more recent intelligence reports I have read show the Republic naval is trying to secretly pull a few ships, here and there, back to the Core Worlds. This would be too little and too late.'

'Presently, my armies are already set for the next step of my plan.'

'And I like to think of everything.'

'These ships are manned with a mix of droids and Separatist naval personnel. So, even if the droids were deactivated, the ships would still do their job. But, if there was a mutiny, the droids would put down the mutiny and the ships would still do their job. The droids shutdown programmed for each ship is given to the commander of that ship, so if the droids were taken over, the shutdown command for droids could be used. And the commanders are loyal to me.'

'The droids would have to be remotely shut down, and the commander would have to be part of the mutiny for that ship and its crew to no longer do its job. At this point, I am doubtful that would happen.'

'In addition, unlike some fools, I not put remote control on the main computers in each on each ship. And the ships cannot be remotely destroyed, because there were no self-destruct devices on any of the ships.'

'The are examples that guile is not only about implementation of one's plans, but the preparation of one's plans.'

'The Republic thought they were in a stalemate, when in fact I was job biding my time to attack Coruscant and end this war.'

'No matter how this operation turns out this plan will benefit the Separatists. If the Republic fleets return to Coruscant, and stop this fleet. I will win. Because my other fleets are standing ready to capture up to half the Republic held territories. Or, I will have Coruscant under control. After Coruscant is under our control, I will use this fleet to create a larger foothold in the Core Worlds, the heart of the Republic, as a way to force the Republic to surrender.'

'Also, I am wise enough not to allow any force user to come onto my ship. Unlike what Dooku and his master would have planned, which would have left Dooku without his head.'

Loki looked over at Grievous. Loki noticed that Grievous was looking out a nearby window, as the Separatist ships in the distance. Loki thought, 'Now to start this ball rolling.'

Loki stated, “As you can see I have kept my word. This ship will take point when the time is right. Which is soon.”

Grievous turned to Loki. He asked, “The only question is where?”

Loki stated, “Coruscant. Of course. We have spent much time stretching out their forces while hiding our full might.”

Grievous pointed out, “Still, the Jedi and Thor might prove our undoing. History shows the Jedi have a way of turning the tide of battle. And Sidious is somewhere in the mix, as well.”

Loki responded, “True. But, I have taken all of them into account. What I have planned for them will keep all the major players busy while we move in for the kill.”

Loki's lips curled into a wicked grin, as she continued, “We are going to crash a red wedding of my own design. Though, there might be one disappointment on our part.”

Loki thought, 'Though. I had Jango, Boba, Asajj, and Aurra be somewhere else, in reserve, just in case things go sideways. It is always good to have back up plans.'

Grievous asked, “Which is?

Loki explained, “If we do this just right, we may take Coruscant and the Republic without firing a shot.”

Grievous smiled under his mask, as he complimented, “That would not be a disappointment. That would be a sign of skill and guile on your part.”

Loki continue to smile, as she stated, “I knew there was a reason I liked you.” Loki turned to the bridge personnel. She asked, “Are all ships of the fleet ready? With the coordinates plugged? Have all failsafes for the navigational slave drives been check?”

Loki thought, 'We will not have a repeat of the Katana Fleet Incident. Especially, this close to us achieving victory. Though, I need to look into finding that lost Fleet. Having the extra ships might not hurt if this mission does go sideways.'

The bridge crew relayed and followed Loki's orders.

Less than a minute later, one of the female human officers manning a communication station look up at Loki. She stated, “Lady Laufeyson. Everyone one is reporting that we are in the ready, and that all systems are in green.”

Loki smile turned mischievous. She turned to the officer whom spoke to her. Loki replied, “That is excellent to hear. And green is my favorite color.”

Loki kept her smile, as she turned and out at the window. Loki thought, 'Ah. Everybody and everything is in place. Now is the time to act against that wrinkled evil fool.'

Loki stated, “The twilight of an ancient, decadent age is at hand. Within a few days, the fate of the Galaxy will change forever.”

Loki turned to Grievous. She saw Grievous looking at her. Loki stated, “General. Give the order. Let us begin what we hope will be the final battle in this war.”

Grievous knew which order Loki was requesting him to give. He felt honored that Loki would give him the privilege of issuing the order.

Grievous turned to face the bridge personnel. He ordered, “Launch the fleet. We head for Coruscant.”

The bridge crews relayed and followed General Grievous' orders.

A minute later, the hyperspace jumps started in the front of the fleet with the Malevolence. Then, the other lead ships jumped to hyperspace. After which, the ships behind the lead ships followed into hyperspace.

Soon, hundreds of heavy cruisers, along with thousands of battleships and other support ships jumped to hyperspace. The fleet carried tens of thousands of support vehicles, transports, starfighters, and bombers. The fleet was crewed by hundreds of thousands of personnel, with all them heading towards their destiny.

(_)

“The fanatic is a person who has lost sight of their goals and redoubled their efforts.” George Santayana.

To be continued.

(_)

Author's Notes:

While parts of this chapter follows the beginning of Episode Three: Revenge of the Sith, there are differences. Such as Anakin being more mature. Also, Obiwan showed some courage towards the Jedi Council. And Anakin trusts Padme and Ahsoka to request their advice.

Also, the setup is reversed, with the Jedi High Council first sending Anakin to spy on Palpatine, then Palpatine appoints Anakin to the Jedi High Council.

All this makes for a more different scenario.

Actually, I believe that if in Episode Three, the Jedi High Council had first sent Anakin to spy on Palpatine, on the ground Palpatine was growing to politically powerful, then show the scene of Anakin spending time with Palpatine. Next, Palpatine feigns friendships, Palpatine states that the time they spent showed him that Anakin can handle more, so he appoints Anakin to be his representative on the Jedi High Council. After which, the Jedi High Council shows disrespect towards Anakin over Palpatine's actions.

This would have made for a more poignant scene of Anakin's outburst on not receiving the rank of Jedi Master with the council seat. Anakin would have been sticking his neck out for the Jedi High Council and they will not show at least some respect for his actions, while Palpatine has been giving Anakin respect and gifts.

The plot would have flowed better, showing Anakin losing respect for the Jedi Order, while becoming more loyal to Palpatine. This would have made Anakin's final betrayal of the Jedi Order all the more convincing and believable.

Because bonds of friendship between Obiwan, Anakin, Padme, and Ahsoka are tighter in this story. Due to this, Ahsoka being railroaded by the Jedi High Council had a more profound emotional toll on Obiwan. As such, Obiwan did not want the same thing to happen to Anakin.

In addition, I wanted to show some of Palpatine's direct subordinates in more civil roles. Such as Lord Speaker Mas Amedda, and Senior Administrative Aide Sly Moore.

While the Jedi High Council and Palpatine played Anakin against each other like a puppet, Palpatine had Mas go after Padme, with Padme having to deal with Mas in a semi-civil way.

Also, I enjoyed including Sly Moore in this story as a way for Palpatine to keep Anakin busy while he plotted his next moves against the Jedi Council. I got to show how Sly Moore would be very busy as Palpatine's Senior Administrative Aide. To the point Anakin realized that Sly Moore could not be Sidious.

Being too busy is an interesting alibi.

While this went on, Loki is shown getting ready for the climax she has engineered. Loki's next moves will probably be some of her most daring actions, yet.

Due to Ahsoka leaving the Jedi Order, without her lightsabers, I realized that Ahsoka would need a new set of lightsabers. So, I arranged for her to have white blade lightsabers.

Ahsoka's white lightsabers are a nod towards Ahsoka of the Star Wars Rebels series. Though, the hilts and white crystals of white lightsabers in this chapter are different in design and origins than the Ahsoka in Star Wars Rebels had.

Until next time. Have fun.

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

things are moving quickly now

a lot depends on whether Loki's strike will happen before Palpatine can move his plans for Anakin forward.

DogSig.png