Gaby Book 15 ~ Friends ~ Chapter *29* Departure time

Printer-friendly version
book15fullcoverluluprint.jpg 
  get the complete book here! {Or here (US)}
 
 
*Chapter 29*
Departure time

 
 
Wednesday dawned – I would like to say bright and sunny but no, it was more like November, damp and murky. The weather reflected the mood in Chez Bond this morning, I was glad when Jules and Mand left to be honest. Apparently Jules and Boris had a falling out so rather than stay with her friend Sarah in Bonn she’d fled back here to Dernau – I’m sure it’ll blow over, it has every other time they’ve fallen out.
Anyway, I felt sorry for Mand who had to put up with the Dark One’s grumps all the way to their school.

“Snap to it Gaby,” Mum chivvied.
“Yeah, yeah,” I replied, “you seen my Handy?”
“Tried in your bag?”
“Looked there.”
“Well look again.”
So of course there it was, hiding in a corner.
“Oops.”
“One day young lady,” Mum allowed shaking her head.
“What’re we eating tonight?”
“Not sure, why?”
“I thought we could have something special as Mand goes home tomorrow.”
“Such as?”
“She likes Leberkase,” I suggested.
“I guess we can run to that, fried taters?”
“What else?”
“Okay, I’m going to the Metzgerie after training anyway otherwise we’ll be eating frozen schnitzel for Christmas. Now shake a leg or you’ll be late.”
“Yes Mum.”

“Dad’s gonna drop us off and pick us up from here tomorrow,” Pia told us as we ate lunch.
“What’re we gonna do about our costumes?” Brid queried.
“Change here I guess,” Steff proposed.
“I’m certainly not coming to school in it!” Con stated.
“Best tell the lads,” Nena mentioned.
“Guess that’s me,” I sighed. Somewhere along the line I seem to have become head of inter gender relations between the Angels and our male assistants.
“You do it so well Gab,” Steff noted with a smirk.

“… So Herr Sebenschuh’s picking us all up straight from school,” I advised the collected lads.
“And we have to wear our costumes?” Ralf asked.
“Well we are,” I pointed out.
“Come on Ralfie, its only a couple of hours,” Marty pointed out.
“You all got hose to wear?” I enquired.
“Shush Gab, people’ll get strange ideas,” Max stated in a stage whisper.
“If you are worried about people knowing you wear hose,” I started, “I’ve got some news – just about the whole valley have already seen you in the costumes.”
“But that was different,” Freddy put in.
“Gab’s right guys,” Mart allowed.
“Its alright for you girls, you’re used to putting the damned stuff on,” Ralf grumbled.
“You could take your time putting the hose on at home so you don’t ruin it, just change the rest here,” I suggested.
“Guess that’s that sorted then,” Max mentioned.
Boys, such wimps! It’s only a pair of tights.

Unusually the Bonn school contingent got home before me today, they finished classes lunchtime so, delayed only by some last minute Christmas shopping, they caught the train home.

“So you and Boris talking again?” I queried as I stowed my coat.
“He’s lucky,” my sister stated, “but it’s the last time!”
“You said that last time,” I pointed out.
“Well I mean it this time.”
‘And it is Christmas,’ I mumbled under my breath. “So where’s Manda?”
“Upstairs packing I think,” Goth Girl supplied.
“Hi girls,” Mum offered pushing into the kitchen, laden with bags of supplies. “Gab, can you fetch the rest from the car, Jules, kettle.”

Dad was going to be late so it was just us girls eating tonight, with three perpetually hungry cyclists in our number it scarcely makes a difference to the quantity needed. The biggest preparation job for the evening spread was of course peeling and chopping the spuds but once done its fifteen minutes tops for the Bratkartoffeln. The Leberkase only needs a couple of minutes in the pan each side and the eggs – well by the time the potato was ready everything else was waiting.

I think I made the right call, its not to everyone’s taste, I can take it or leave it but de Vreen’s eyes lit up when she saw what was on the plate.

“Somebody likes your cooking Gab,” my sister chuckled.
“Just as well considering how often you do it,” I noted.
“Girls, behave!” Mum warned.
“Sorry Mum,”
“Yeah soz,” I added. “So you like Mand?”
“Mmmm? Mmmm!”
I think that means yes.

“I’ve put your prezzies by the tree,” Mand told me as I prepared to leave for Thesing’s.
“You got yours?”
“In my case, wish I didn’t have to go.”
“Its only a week.”
“I s’pose,” she allowed, “don’t have too much fun without me.”
“Try not to, shitza, I’m late!” we hugged for a bit longer than necessary, “see you next year!”
“See you Gab’s, I’ll ring.”
“Make sure you do.”
“Gab, time?” Dad prompted.
“Going, tschussie!”
“Bye Gabs.”

I sort of speed walked around to the bakery – we’re getting a lift from Pia’s dad if you recall, how can one dress weigh so much? My arms were falling off by the time I arrived and my legs were frozen. Why? Well to save time later I decided to wear a skirt and hose, it’s not my fault the weather’s returned to the dry but very cold we had a few days ago.

“I’m glad we aren’t riding,” Steff opined.
“Not many,” I agreed, “wish I’d put Hose on.”
Nena with leggings under her denim skirt grinned smugly. Why didn’t I think of that?
Helmut was talking with Tomas over coffee so we had a few minutes yet.
“Are we taking lunch?” Brid asked.
“Best had, we can eat on the way to the Kinderhaus ,” Steff proposed.
“Come on Gab’s,” Con suggested, “lets get the sandwiches.”
“Usual everyone?” I queried.

The last day, well last morning of term, especially Christmas is always a mixture of excitement and sadness. Excitement to be leaving school if only for a short time, sadness that we’ll possibly not see some friends and classmates until we return. Today that was mixed in with some apprehension over the afternoons visit to the Kinderhaus.

Of course there wasn’t exactly a lot of actual schoolwork going on, well after the first couple of periods anyhow when we returned to Fr Dürst supposedly for maths.

“So you guys doing much over Weihnachts?” Fr Dürst enquired interrupting Con and my discussion.
“Family stuff mostly,” Con offered.
“We’re going to the Kinderhaus this afternoon,” I put in.
“Oh of course, you have the presents to give,” our teacher recalled.
“And we raised €1400 with the Kaffee Haus,” I added.
“As much as that? Very impressive, well done!”
“Thanks,” Con mentioned, “a lot of it was Gab’s idea.”
“Quite the little entrepreneur eh Fraulein Bond?”
Okay so I blushed, it happens!

By the time we emerged from changing most Silverberg Gymnasium pupils were long gone.
“I feel like a right prawn,” Ralf grumbled as we walked through the quiet hallways.
“Give over,” Mart told the moaner.
“Ot oh,” Steff allowed as we reached the doors.
“What?” Nena enquired.
“Max, give Gab’s a hand up the steps,” Pia suggested.
“Sure,” he agreed offering me an arm.
Look I wouldn’t’ve accepted except this dress is long and I’ve got heels on and I’m a midget – it’s only a few steps. If I’d been paying attention I wouldn’t’ve been hanging onto von Strechau’s arm when we reached street level to find maybe a hundred staff and pupils waiting for us. Sugar! Bum!

“Ladies, gentlemen,” Boxberg started, “you continue month after month, year after year to make me, us,” she waved her arm around the small gathering, “very proud. You all have a lot on your plates, hobbies, jobs and your upcoming exams but yet you still found time to not just raise funds for the Kinder Haus but do it with style and panache.”
She paused which seemed to be the signal for some clapping and cheering.
“I know you are even now off to the Kinder Haus to hand over what you have collected the last couple of weekends on the market, we, that is the staff and pupils of Silverberg Gymnasium would like to add this to your fundraising efforts, Fraulein Bond?”
“Um?”
“Come on Gab,” Max prompted.

And so it was that, still hanging onto Max’s arm I ended up front and centre to receive this extra donation from the Head. A camera appeared from somewhere to record the occasion – I’m now immortalised wearing Mittelalter costume on Max’s arm, he of course in his sexy doublet and hose!

Maddy Bell 05.03.16

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fate,

or a certain writer always seems to have Max in the background as a potential suitor for a while now. Even though marriage seems a ways off for Gaby, from her behavior, I'm expecting comedic moments of confusion and denial when and if a serious relationship does occur. I'm still enjoying every episode Maddy. Thanks.

I don't

Maddy Bell's picture

Think i'm giving away too much to say that Max does feature in the following volumes, sometimes quite a lot!

Glad you are still enjoying the wunderkinds adventures.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Poor Gaby, photographed

Poor Gaby, photographed wearing a dress! And on the arm of a hunk.

Karen

Max & Gaby

Elsbeth's picture

Always cute together. Another fun chapter.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Photo Ops...

The English Teacher's picture

Try to explain this one Gabs.

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

Max and Gaby

What a great chapter. I love it when Gaby ends up with Max. It seems they are on the road to coupledom. I also was wondering what ever happened to Gaby's cousin. They seemed to be very romantic about each other and yet We haven't heard anything about Her in a long time.. Many of the side story's have had them married in the future but there seems to be no communication between them in a long time and She has just disappeared. Always have loved the wonderkind and as long as You write about Her I will continue reading about Her life and Loves. Thank You as always for Your giving so much of You to us who Love Gaby..

Maddy

Maddy Bell's picture

Hasn't evaporated honest! But the story and Gaby's life have moved them apart - at the last meeting Maddy had a boyfriend and was deep into the cosplay stuff. They will meet again but any 'relationship' will be platonic.

It's very difficult to get everything that I want into the canon, some stuff I can only hint at whilst other gets the full on treatment. Bernie and Drea is just one such example, they aren't central to the current storyline but as they are going to return in the future I felt it worth while having the little single chapter appearances.

I'll be getting on with the last bit of book 21 this week.

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Gaby

Well the story line has to change somewhat.
From the beginning of the series it was creating situations to put Drew in a dress
But Now toward Gaby is a girl, boyfriend seems appropriate and old fashioned courtship to boot.
Tho to the authoress , some of the other girls need boyfriends too.

Max

Dee Sylvan's picture

It seems like this chapter is a turning point for Gaby regarding boys, particularly Max. The one kiss from Max has not been discussed at all, and I wonder if smooch #2 is going to happen soon.

DeeDee

Denial won't work now!

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time Max being Gaby's squeeze comes up, Gaby denies it as hard as a soft pillow. Now though, with the picture of them in costume and Gaby on Max's arm, trying to deny Max is her boyfriend won't work any longer. All anyone who sees the picture has to do is remind her whose arm she was holding when the picture was taken.

Others have feelings too.

Lobsters. . .

SuziAuchentiber's picture

As Phoebe in Friends would say "Max is Gaby's lobster" . . destined to be with her for life ! Sometimes friendships become much more just because of the comfort and compatability you feel with a friend. One character I miss is Drew's "best Friend" from her boy days - Rhod - who found himself becoming "Emm" and enjoyed embracing his feminine side. Who better to console and support Gaby as she adopts to her life as a girl! Every trans girl loves having a friend who knows how she feels and can understand the ups and downs!
Hugs & Kudos!

Suzi