Ginny's Story Chapter 39

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2017 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 39

Thursday was here before we knew it. Ellen and Wendy were all excited about their dates that night; I on the other hand was icy cool, yeah, right!

I did have to do grocery shopping for the night's dinner and dessert. Wendy and I left the job site around 2pm to give me time in the Super Stop and Shop in Vinnin Square, I also wanted a nice red wine to go with dinner.

I was planning to make an eggplant Parmesan linguine, and antipasto salad. For dessert, I planned a Tiramisu and Italian lemon sherbet or gelato.

By leaving early, this allowed three girls to shower and wash our hair without getting in each other's way. Wendy was ready to climb the walls she was so nervous. I finally asked her to walk the dog and let me chill a bit while I showered and did my make up.

I finally went into the kitchen to start my sauce and slice the eggplant. Some chefs like to peel the eggplant, but I leave the skin on and slice it very thin. I feel the skin or rind adds flavor, and after frying and covering with red sauce and Parmigiana cheese, it needs as much flavor as possible.

I started my sauce with two crushed cloves of garlic, a small piece of fatty pork, three cans of Pastine ground and kitchen ready tomatoes. Then I added half a cup of grated Romano cheese, a bay leaf, and oregano to taste. Once in a while I add a tablespoon of sugar. Oh what the heck, in it went.

I dipped the eggplant slices in flour then dredged in a milk, egg and spice liquid. Next I rolled it in Italian bread crumbs before frying in a large skillet with a quarter inch of light olive oil. After browning on each side, I placed them on a paper towel covered dish to drain. Like shampooing, rinse, lather, repeat.

While this was going on, the sauce was starting to fill the house with a mouth-watering aroma. I started a box of linguini boiling. When Kevin showed up, I'd place the breaded eggplant in the oven to bake after covering it with a couple of thin slices of mozzarella and topped with the Parmigiana.

About this time Ellen came home.

“Oh my gosh, what smells so good?” she asked. After stealing a spoonful of sauce, she said, “Kevin can go out with Pete, I'm staying home!”

“Like Hell you are! Now get in the shower and make yourself beautiful.”

Stealing one more spoonful Ellen scampered into her bedroom, and finally into a lilac scented hot bath.

Pete was picking Ellen up at 7 o'clock, and Kevin was coming at 7:30. Wendy and Billy were taking Kevin's pickup truck to the movie that started at 8:15 PM. I hoped to put dinner on the table by 8 o'clock.

Now that everything was going well in the kitchen, I went to take my own bath.

“Wendy, can you stir the sauce every now and then, and make sure the pasta doesn't boil over?”

After getting a half-hearted “Okay” I slid into my bath.

I quickly toweled off, and slid on my lacy boy shorts and matching bra. Choosing smokey elastic topped stockings and a black camisole, I turned to my hair, brushing it back and giving it a little curl. I was finally satisfied.

I really wanted to go easy on the make-up since we were staying home, and I expected it not to last the night! For fun, I called Wendy to come and pick out a dress.

“You really want me to pick out a dress? I can't believe you want me to do this!”

She stood in front of the closet with her tongue sticking out the side of her mouth. “How does this yellow chiffon dress sound? It's got puffy sleeves. Is it okay?”

“I love it Wendy. See? You're getting pretty good at fashion. Now sit, and I'll do your makeup. Do you want a red lipstick? Billy will love it, and it's a little harder to wipe off. It will make him feel like a real stud with you on his arm, and lipstick on his cheek and lips. Can you do you own nails and toenails yourself?”

I got a snort in reply, guess that meant “yes”.

After grabbing an apron, I covered the eggplant with tin foil and set the oven at 375 deg.

Ellen was pouring glasses of white wine for us while we waited for the boys. Wendy made a move for a wine glass, but the scowls she received from Ellen and I froze her hand in mid grab!

Pete was punctual as usual and after a quick peck on my cheek, He escorted Ellen to his car. They felt it would be after midnight before they were back, just to let me know, but with Billy and Wendy expected back by 11pm, I doubt Kevin and I would do more than snuggle.

Kevin and Billy arrived a little after 7:30, but were forgiven by Wendy and I with the gifts of fresh flowers, and Harbor Sweets candy. This candy is to die for!

Kevin gave Billy a warning not to speed, and to behave himself, with a time limit of 11pm. I didn't have to say a thing! Do you wonder why I loved that guy?

We enjoyed a glass of Chianti while the eggplant baked. Kevin, who's a good cook himself, offered to help, but I said to put on the Thursday night football game while I plated up our dinners.

The antipasto was a big hit, only surpassed by the eggplant Parmesan.

After clearing the dishes, I brought out the lemon gelatto, with small cups of coffee and Sambuca.

Soon we were sitting on the sofa, listening to a softly playing sound track from Chicago.

At 11pm we heard Kevin's truck return. Fifteen minutes later the kids came up the stairs, and flopped in a couple of chairs. Looking at their faces I could see the effort to redo Wendy's lipstick and to wipe red from Billy's mouth.

Kevin and I snickered, and Kevin asked the kids how was the movie. They both were enthusiastic for different reasons.

“Did you know she used to be Miss Israel, and she was a soldier in the Army?” Billy asked.

“Wow, she's the kind of woman I'd like to be,” Wendy said, “Beautiful, smart, and not one to mess with.”

Kevin and I laughed at that, saying, we would to have to see the movie ourselves.

“If you do,” Billy said, “No messing around in the theater.”

Now, I had tears running down my cheeks.

After kissing us goodnight,and checking they'd see us on Saturday, the boys hopped into Kevin's truck.

In their excitement the kids forgot about dessert.

I washed off my makeup, and put on my flannel robe when Pete and Ellen came in. They really enjoyed Die Fleidermaus and refused dessert or coffee.

Before Pete left, I asked if he had found out who ran the siren last week.

His face turned scary as he said. “Oh yes, a young Swampscott cop, who suspiciously just bought his wife a new Audi, and got himself a new $50,000 20' Welcraft fishing boat. That's a cool $100,000 plus. He said it was money from working road details.”

“Obviously, you don't believe it,” I said.

He gave me a kiss on the cheek and said, “Don't you worry.”

With that, he left.

To be continued.


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh, for without her encouragement, and assistance in correcting typos and other errors, this story wouldn't exist.

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wendy's extras

Kevin will be no problem, remember he dated Ginny before her 'vacation' in Thailand. Billy should have no reason to find out, but..................

Hmmm, I have a hunch that a

Hmmm, I have a hunch that a certain young Swampscott Police Officer is going be paid a visit by not only his Internal Affairs Department, but also the State Police; if not also the FBI. Nothing quite like a "dirty cop". Puts a broad brush smear on everyone else within the particular department.

Did you also know....

NoraAdrienne's picture

Gal was pregnant during the filming of Wonder Woman. A lot of her frontal views are all CGI.

CGI?

Hey, can they do that with us? How would everyone like to have a body like hers?

Sounds like a crooked

Samantha Heart's picture

The young officer that is. As for the dates I'd say a smashing success on all 3 of them lol.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

That's a Pretty Big Bribe...

...for someone to pay who's supposedly on his own or nearly so, hiding out from a Central American drug gang. (Was that why Morales was in the donut shop that night a few months back, to pay off a cop? Probably asked that about thirty chapters ago...)

Or would the mob be willing to pay to keep the fugitive out of jail until they can find and kill him? Doesn't seem all that likely to me, though not impossible, I suppose. Presumably he has information they assume he could exchange once he was in custody.

(One of our cast members wondered if Morales was working with the Feds, though they figured he'd be elsewhere with a new name rather than in hiding if that were the case. Can't see where he'd have much value to them as an informant on the streets if he needs to avoid the people they're looking for information about.)

Eric

Eric, I rely on your comments !

Interesting thought on the visit to the donut shop. The New England Mob wants Vinny badly, that's why he faked his death in the snow storm. Before the hit and run, the feds wanted him to squeal on the Mob. Hit and run isn't a federal offense, only State and local cops want him for that. watch for deals similar to "Whitey" Bulger, and the FBI, maybe, Witness Protection?

Hugs, Karen
PS: Cast members? Please fill me in

Cast Members?

Didn't think it was that obscure; people depicted in the story count as a cast of characters, which makes them cast members. I recalled an exchange or two, back while Vinny couldn't be found, suggesting that he'd been put in Witness Protection, but didn't look up who was in on the discussion. (Turns out it was Pete, Ellen and Ginny in Chapter 9.)

Anyway, that's presumably not the case with Moralres. (Though I recall reading about a guy involved with gangs here in San Francisco some years back who'd been given a new identity in Sacramento -- about 90 miles away -- but decided to drive back to the city and visit some old friends -- and was shot and killed by his old adversaries.)

Bulger's situation was, more or less, what I was contrasting this with. The FBI allegedly let Bulger continue his illegal operations virtually without interference in order to get continuing information from him about a competing crime organization. That doesn't seem to be what's happening here; it appears that Morales is trying to stay out of sight of the drug mobs rather than getting information about them to pass along. I can't see him doing any business himself (even if he has a source for products, which seems doubtful) if his potential customers don't know how to find him.

Eric

Thanks again Eric

I thought you had a cast from a play, reading this.

You know my stories better than I do ! My intent is that Vinny is running from the Mob because of missing money.If it was just information, he'd be in Wit-sec running a beauty salon in Nebraska.

Karen

Do You Have All Those Cooking Shows?

joannebarbarella's picture

Our TV is absolutely saturated with cooking shows. I reckon it's because they're cheap to make. In your case it's because Ginny is following the old adage that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Way back in 'Gene's Story'

We have at least 50 ! From barbecue to French cooking and everything in between. Of course my favorite was Graham Kerr.

Gene had attended the Cordon Bleu Chef's school in Cambridge, Massachusetts. That's why every now and then Ginny corrects the speaker when they refrer to her as a cook, and not a chef.

Too much for one so young

Jamie Lee's picture

A young cop wouldn't have many years on the job so wouldn't have a very large bank account unless it might have been from previous work or family. Even extra police work wouldn't have allowed him to make such purchases.

That officer put himself on the radar of those who are involved in the investigation. Purchases he will regret making.

Others have feelings too.