There is Nothing like a Dame Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version
361304-pentax-645z-sample-image_0.jpg


There is Nothing like a Dame

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright© 2017 Bronwen Welsh

A sequel to 'The Might-Have-Been Girl' and 'All the World's a Stage'

Chapter 9   Performing at 'The Globe'

Just before I drove down to Stratford to be present at the auditions, I received a very nice condolence card from Magnolia and Hiram Thompson. Magnolia included a hand-written note in which she said “I lost my Mom when I was only sixteen and not a day has passed since when I haven't thought of her and missed her.” She went on to say that she and Hiram still looked forward to welcoming me into their home, but there was no rush and I should only come if and when I felt able to do so.

In these days of emails and printed material, receiving a hand-written letter is special, so I took out a pen and paper and returned the compliment. Thus started a correspondence which has lasted to the present day. I wrote that my Mum had made me promise not to put my career on hold after she had passed. I told her about me being about to play in 'Much Ado about Nothing”, and also taking on the job of Assistant Director for a second time, something which would enable me to make a bigger contribution to Hiram's theatre when I came to America. This I hoped could be arranged for the near future as I would be free once the season at the Globe had finished.

I had already been in touch with Richard, my agent, and he was very pleased to hear that I was back with the 'big boys' again. I also informed him that after discussion with Reggie and in accordance with my Mum's wishes, I would be available to go to America in the middle of the year. That made him very happy! I think he accepted my occasional forays into regional theatre, namely the Apollo Players, with amused resignation. I suppose he was used to actors being mildly eccentric, even though I'm sure he thought I was wasting my time doing so.

Back at Stratford, I was starting to get used to sitting with Chris the Director and Gwyneth Soames, the ISC's Artistic Director while the auditions were being held. I was quite in awe of Gwyneth who had worked in the past with Sir Peter Hall whilst he had been at Stratford. I naturally started by addressing her as Miss Soames, but she was very approachable and told me to call her Gwyneth while we were working on the casting.

Each of us had a clipboard with details of all the actors who were auditioning for the parts. I was very much aware that I was the junior member of the trio, but they still encouraged me to have an input into the selections. In some ways it felt like 'playing God'.

“A couple of tips for when you are casting for plays,” said Chris. “Never chose someone just because you know them. It's a very human reaction to want to surround yourself with familiar faces, but on the other hand, don't not choose them if they are the best person for the rôle.”

Gwyneth nodded in agreement, and I made another entry in my notebook. All this information was like gold, especially in view of my forthcoming trip to America when I might well be involved in cast selection on my own or at least as the senior selector.

There were a number of candidates for each rôle and only one person could be offered the position with another having the chance to be the understudy. With this power came responsibility since the wrong choice of actor could affect the whole production. I was glad that while they asked my opinion, Gwyneth and Chris between them made the ultimate choices. In the main, I'm pleased to say my choices agreed with theirs.

Mike Jacobs who had performed in “Two Gentlemen” was selected to play 'Benedick' against my 'Beatrice' and I was pleased when Viola Edwards won the rôle of 'Hero'. While to modern ears that sounds like a male part, 'Hero' is actually a young woman and a cousin to Beatrice. The other cast members were new to me, although I had seen some of them around the theatre.

--ooOoo--

The season at the Globe was going to last for six weeks and Vi asked me if I'd be interested in sharing a two-bedroom serviced apartment for that time. I was happy to agree as I had no wish to live on my own in London. Reggie promised to come down each weekend that he could, but I knew he was involved with football, playing for the university, so I didn't expect to see him too often. Vi had something to ask me, and judging by how embarrassed she looked I guessed what it might be.

“You know that Mike and I are seeing each other, do you mind if he stays over some nights?” she asked and was very relieved when I said that was fine by me. As it turned out, the walls in the apartment were rather thin and some nights I could hear much smothered giggling and other sounds. Fortunately, I am a good sleeper, so it didn't really disturb me, but it did make me rather circumspect when Reggie stayed the night! A couple of weeks after the auditions, when the cast was finalised, we headed down to London to start rehearsing at the Globe.

I will not go into great detail about this as it can be boring for non-theatrical people. I recall once, thinking that I should read some of the classics, I tackled Herman Melville's 'Moby Dick'. I quickly learned more about cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises, of which there are more than eighty species), than the average person needs to know. Finally, I was forced to skip whole chapters for fear I would die of boredom and never finish the book!

On the subject of acting, there are many texts, including, if I may include a shameless promotion, my own “The Young Actors Guide to Performing Shakespeare”, which I wrote some years back with the encouragement of Dame Emily, who wrote the Foreword. It includes a whole section on performing on a thrust stage and I was surprised and pleased with the number of copies that have been sold.

The season started and ticket sales were very good. The public knows that any production by the ISC will be a good one if I say so myself. The critics were generous and included some very kind comments about my contribution. Emma had volunteered to take over the scrapbooks in which so many reviews and pictures had been lovingly stored by Mum, and when I cut them out to post to her, the memories came flooding back and I confess the tears flowed. I had wondered if Emma would cope with what must have been a reminder of her own career put on hold, but she seemed quite happy to do it.

A couple of weeks after the season started I received a phone call from Richard, my agent. He had organised for me to travel to America two weeks after the Globe season finished. I was glad of that since I wanted a short break to be Mrs Staunton before starting on my new assignment.

--ooOoo--

Due to the open-air nature of the theatre, performing at the Globe involved more afternoon matinées than in fully enclosed theatres. It was at the Globe that I experienced for the first time performing outdoors while it was raining. Fortunately for the performers, the canopy over the stage kept us dry so long as we stayed towards the back of the stage, but the poor 'groundlings' were thoroughly soaked since while they were allowed raincoats, they couldn't use umbrellas. However they all seemed to think it was part of the experience of attending a Shakespeare play as it would have occurred back in the sixteen century, and very few walked out.

Some performances were termed 'relaxed', that is to say, audience members including people with autistic spectrum conditions, sensory and communication disorders or people with learning disabilities were welcome to attend. This meant a more relaxed attitude to normal audience etiquette. Families were welcome to bring along small children and even people suffering from dementia. As actors we were expected to cope with people calling out, babies crying and even to interact with the audience more than usual. It certainly taught us to think on our feet. I thought it was a wonderful idea to make Shakespeare more accessible to people who otherwise might not have been able to attend a play, and stored it away in my notebook as something which I might suggest introducing during my American trip.

--ooOoo--

One afternoon when I was in my dressing room after a performance and changing out of my costume, the telephone rang. It was Eric who manned the little office just inside the stage door.

“There's a Mrs Louise Burton here with a young lady. She says you know her and was wondering if you'd have time to see her?”

We all appreciate having someone like Eric at the Stage Door. Occasionally fans can get too demanding and there are even some who convince themselves that they are in love with you, and worse still, that you are in love with them. It pays to have a 'gate-keeper'. This was different. I knew Louise Burton from the time I stayed with her when I was performing in 'Dear Brutus' in London, my first professional rôle. I also knew her daughter who started life as her son. I recounted all this in my first memoir 'The Might-Have-Been Girl'. I had last seen them in Stratford and knew that Antonette, her now-daughter was developing into a very pretty young lady, so I asked Eric to tell them that I would be there shortly.

“Hello Mrs Burton, it's so nice to see you again; hello Antonette,” I said.

Louise Burton greeted me warmly, and Antonette blushed as she said “It's nice to see you again Miss Stow.”

“Call me Harriet please,” I replied. “Officially I'm Mrs Staunton now since I married Reggie recently, but I'm still Harriet Stow when I'm working.”

“Congratulations, my dear,” said Louise. “He's a lovely young man.”

“I was just about to go for a coffee and sandwich between performances,” I said. “Do you have time to join me?”

“That would be wonderful,” said Louise. Antonette seemed to be struck dumb and hadn't said a word after our initial greeting. I put it down to acute shyness. We walked to a local café and put in our orders.

After sitting at the table, I said: “What brings you here?”

“Antonette saw the advertisement for the play at the Globe and your name was mentioned, so we came along to see the performance.”

“I hope you enjoyed it,” I said.

“Oh yes, it was wonderful and so were you,” said Antonette who had suddenly found her voice.

“I'm so glad; we actors thrive on positive reviews,” I said with a smile.

“Antonette has something to ask you,” said Louise, and at once Antonette coloured up again.

I smiled encouragingly at her.

“I, err, well I really enjoy performing and I'm going to an acting class that meets on Saturday mornings. I'd love to do Shakespeare but they don't really seem interested, so I was wondering, if you had time that is, whether you'd be willing to come along and tell us a bit about acting Shakespeare?” She paused. “I spoke to Miss Carson who runs the group and told her I knew you. She said you would be very welcome if you had the time to come along, but she seemed to think you'd be far too busy.”

I knew that this was giving me an 'out', but I resolved not to take it.

“I'd be very happy to come along, but I might have a problem with getting back to the theatre for the matinée on Saturdays,” I said. “Whereabouts does the group meet?”

“It's in Finsbury Park,” said Antonette and her face fell, anticipating my refusal to attend.

“Let me check my diary of performance times,” I said and consulted my diary. “Well this is good news, on Saturday in two weeks we don't start until three o'clock. If I can leave by twelve that should give me time.”

Antonette brightened up immediately. “We start at nine o'clock, would that be alright?”

“I'm sure it would,” I replied. “Can you give me Miss Carson's phone number and I'll call to to check that it's alright with her.”

I was so glad that I didn't have to disappoint her and in fact I'd had an idea which I wasn't going to mention just in case I couldn't arrange it, but two weeks might just give me enough time.

My next job was to talk to the Managing Director at the Globe and also run it past Chris. I was very pleased when they both reacted very positively to my idea.

When I phoned Miss Carson she seemed slightly overawed that I was calling her.

“Miss Stow!” she exclaimed. “Antonette told me that she knew you but I never thought you'd have the time to call.”

It occurred to me that Miss Carson was 'stage-struck' and regarded actors as superior beings. Perhaps she'd had hopes to perform professionally herself but hadn't made it past the amateur stage. I did my best to put her at her ease.

“Antonette tells me that she really enjoys your classes and was hoping that me visiting might interest the class in performing Shakespeare. I'd be happy to help if I can.”

I went on to confirm the date of my visit and also my suggestion which was received with open arms.

“The children will be so excited,” she said, and I hoped that she was right.

To be continued

Many thanks again to Louise Ann and Julie Phillips for their knowledge and eagle eyes that pick up my 'typos' and grammatical errors .

up
287 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Happy for Harriet

Christina H's picture

It is wonderful that Harriet has kept her word to her Mum to get back on the stage and that she is
doing well. Touching that Antoinette wants to be on the stage (following her heroine??) and that
Harriet has the nature and time to help her and maybe others.

Christina

A Teensy-Weensy Cliff-Hanger

joannebarbarella's picture

Maybe about three feet high! I won't pull any spoilers although I have a suspicion what is going to happen.

I think that (aside from the

I think that (aside from the wonderful strength and flow of the writing!) one of the things I adore about all of the Harriet Tales is her utter femininity... right down to how she places herself in her relationship with her husband. In a different kind of theater, Kabuki actors in female roles are thought to bring a greater sense of the truly feminine because they are not fighting against a lifetime of any personal baggage and biases that a genetic woman might find hard to overcome.

I don't know how true that may be in Harriet's case as well, but her feminity is such a delight to get lost in as a reader.

Brava!
Stacy

Harriet becomes the next Dame

I so love the Memoir style of these stories, it allows the author so much flexibility.
Now an OOPS, incorrectly, porpoises' are referred to as dolphins. Dolphins are a fish,(a great game fish) while porpoises are mammals. But Melville probably used both names for the porpoise in his book. So how would a Welsh girl know the difference?

Karen

I think

Maddy Bell's picture

You need to get a new book of nature! Dolphins sometimes called porpoise are most definitely not fish! Wherever did you get that idea? Even the simplest gogle search would confirm that they are mammals, I understand some like a bit of fish for their supper but that's as near as they actually get to being piscine.
So our heroine is quite correct as is our writer.

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Dolphins

Sadly my information is incorrect, I was going by the salt water fish listings, and educational sources from a while ago. I was constantly corrected (Incorrectly) when ever I called porpoises dolphins. I have always thought Orca were a porpoise, but by Wikipedia, Orca are indeed dolphins, and porpoise aren't even mentioned. That source of incorrect info has gone out with the recycling!
Thank you Maddy

I should known Bron was correct

Karen

Porpoise

There are, indeed, porpoises. They are closely related to dolphins. Per Wikipedia: "They are small toothed whales that are very closely related to oceanic dolphins. The most obvious visible difference between the two groups is that porpoises have shorter beaks and flattened, spade-shaped teeth distinct from the conical teeth of dolphins." I suspect many of us can't tell the difference unless it is pointed out to us. What I grew up calling a porpoise is a bottle-nosed dolphin.

Sadly, I know quite a lot about dolphins.

Did you know actually that the Orca, aka Killer Whales, are actually oceanic dolphins?

There is a fish, most commonly using the Hawaiian name of Mahi-Mahi, which also has the name dolphinfish (normally, no blank).

Wiki: The name mahimahi means very strong in Hawaiian. In other languages, the fish is known as dorade coryphène, dorado, dolphin, dradu, lampuga, llampuga, lampuka, lampuki, rakingo, calitos, ti-rone or maverikos.

The common English name of dolphin causes much confusion. Additionally, two species of dolphinfish exist, the common dolphinfish (Coryphaena hippurus) and the pompano dolphinfish (Coryphaena equiselis). Both these species are commonly marketed by their Pacific name, mahi-mahi. Being fish, they are not related to dolphins. See Coryphaena for the possible etymologies of "dolphinfish".

End Wiki quote.

Sorry, but this is just one of my little 'strong points'.

Dolphins are NOT game fish.

J (the pedant).

I am now wondering if Harriet

I am now wondering if Harriet might not have set herself by agreeing to talk to the class of young actors to actually acting in a play with them? She does seem to have that attraction to really helping others to succeed, if you think about it.

A bit of mystery

Since I have almost caught up I guess it is my turn for the cliffhanger. This may sound a bit silly when I meet another person is or has transitioned I feel a kinship with them instantly. I wonder if Harriet has a bit of that?

Only die hard fans would stay

Jamie Lee's picture

Those who stayed to watch the production while it rained are true die hard fans, or those who like new experiences. And it had to be a new experience for the actors as well, at least those who were accustomed to be indoors.

Why do people believe someone is too busy to help when they have no idea of the persons' schedule? Wouldn't it be better to ask before making the assumption?

Others have feelings too.