Because I care: part 4

Printer-friendly version

The next day, I woke up earlier than usual. I did my morning run, did my hygiene and made breakfast just as a groggy Charlie came down rubbing her eyes.

I smile, “Good morning, princess.” Charlie doesn’t say anything, but gives me a tired smile and hugs me.

Charlie looks around and questions, “Where if Mrs. Blue?”

“Oh, Mom’s still asleep. She’s getting a little too old to wake up in the morning. Don’t tell her I said that.” Charlie giggles and we have breakfast.

Charlie gets ready and is calmly waiting on the couch. She’s sporting a plaid winter skirt with cat printed tights with Ugg boots, and a cat jacket that has cat ears on the hood.

I joke, “Don’t you look Purrfect?” Charlie faces palms and giggles. “Ready to go?” She nods and we head off. Charlie starts walking on the route to school and I put a hand on her shoulder, “We aren’t going to school today.”

“We aren’t?” Charlie says with confusion

“Oh, silly me, I forgot, we are going to the doctors to get you checked up. We need to make sure you’re healthy.” Charlie nods, we get into the car and head off.

A few minutes into the ride, Charlie asks, “Who was that woman in the picture frame on your desk?” I knew this was going to happen. I’ve been trying to avoid talking about Sara for a while now, but it seems like I can’t hide it anymore.

“She was my wife and the love of my life.”

“What happen?”

“Cancer.”

The car was silent for a few minutes then Charlie broke the silence with “I’m sorry I asked. I didn’t mean to bring up bad memories.”

I sigh and smile putting my hand in Charlie’s hand. “Don’t be sorry, she was the single greatest person I’ve ever known. I just wish it didn’t end so soon.” A tear falls down my face. I decide to pull over because I couldn’t deal with the traffic right them. “Sorry, I need a minute, it’s been a while since I thought about her let alone talked about her.”

Charlie meekly says, “Can you tell me about her?”

I look at me, “I would love to.” I take a deep breath and start, “It all started a month after my dad was murdered. I left here to hopefully never come back. I stubble into Georgia to a small town called Oak Creek. I was poor and homeless. Sara, who at that time was Steven, found me by collapsed on the side of a rode.” Charlie gasps at the mention of Sara being Steven but kept silent. “She brought me to her apartment and cleaned me up. When I awoke, I fell in love with her in an instant. Of course, at that time, I was stubborn and didn’t believe in superstition. We became fast friends. I got a job working at the Walmart to help with the rent. We slowly became more than friends. At that time, I didn’t know she was born male. It wasn’t until I accidentally walked in on her that I learned.”

“What did you do then?”

“Well, I was shocked and angry. I left and got my own place. I was angry that she lied to me. As time went on, I calmed down and figured out how stupid I was for being angry at her. I came back in the dorkiest way possible.”

“How?”

“I played ‘baby come back’ on a stereo player outside her apartment. I got some complaints, but she forgave me. A few months later, we got married and moved into a house together. We spent the next five years together. We were poor but were in love. It didn’t last long, she got sicker and sicker. Until one day she collapsed. We went to a doctor and found out it was cancer.” I pause letting a tear flow down my face, “She was given a few months and I stayed there almost every second of it. On her last day, the Powerball was scheduled to happen. She told me to buy a ticket with the number 91 25 52 45 19 07. I did as she commanded me to. We watched as the announcer called out numbers. When the announcer called 07...”

I break down bawling calling for Sara as Charlie hugs me tight, rubbing my back as I let all the emotions I dammed up for five years burst.

I stop bawling a few minutes later, “Thanks, Charlie, I needed that.”

Charlie kisses me on the cheek and says, “You helped me let out my emotions. It’s only fair if I do the same.”

“Still thank you.” I take a deep breathe, “Alright, let’s go to the doctor’s.”

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What an angel

Jamie Lee's picture

Brent telling Charlie about Sara shows the bond which has developed between them. And Charlie's response after Brent cried was priceless.

Others have feelings too.