Lizzie Jane's Wedding, Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Lizzie Jane's Wedding
A Lizzie Jane Story
Chapter 1
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

"Hello, Carol," welcomed Lizzie Jane as she opened the door to her visitor. "I was afraid that you all had forgotten me now that you and Sam are opening the new restaurant here in Carter's Bend."

"Nope, we didn't forget you. I am here for two reasons -- first is to offer you a partnership with us in the restaurant. Second is about your upcoming wedding to Jake'.

"Sam and I were wondering -- would you mind having a double wedding? I know this is short notice for such a request since the wedding is a week off, but this is what Sam and I want."

"You mean..?" began a startled Lizzie Jane.

"Yep, it won't be long until I will be Mrs. Sam Henderson," replied Carol.

"Oh, that is so wonderful. I would be pleased to have our marriages together -- that is, if it is okay with Jake and I think I will be. As far as part owner of the restaurant -- well, I don't know."

"Please, Lizzie Jane. Your school teacher has made arrangement with the Board of Education to teach you privately through the 12th grade in preparation for college and it will help pay your way through college," pleaded Carol.

"Well, that is true, but -- Well, what the heck. Shoot, I accept."

"Since you are underage, you don't think there will be any problem in getting Jed to sign a contract on your behalf, do you?"

"There had better not be. He is the one signing for me to get married," answered a smiling Lizzie Jane.

"Great. I will go and tell Sam the news."

"Won't you stay for some iced tea?" asked Lizzie Jane. "I have just made a gallon."

Iced tea was the major drink in Alabama in the summer. Southerners never drank a cup of hot tea; that is, country Alabamians.

"No, thanks. Gotta run," said Carol.

Lizzie Jane went into her bedroom and fell across the bed. 'How about that?' she thought to herself. 'Me and my adopted sister getting married together'.

Lizzie Jane had never thought of getting married before at least 25 year of age, even if she married then. Now, at the tender age of 17, she was on her way to being a wife with hopes of going to college next year.

She had been thinking of Howard College in Birmingham (the name was later changed to Samford University). It was a Baptist school and she had considered being a missionary. She wondered how difficult it would be to serve on the mission field with a husband who only completed the 8th grade.

She had also thought of being a teacher. Most of the teachers across Alabama had gone to Jacksonville State Teachers College (later known as Jacksonville State College and becoming Jacksonville State University in 1967).

Lizzie Jane had helped Sally teach school at the little one-room schoolhouse and was highly regarded as a excellent teacher. She loved children, especially those attending school for the first time and had learned how to make learning fun for them.

The future never looked so bright as it did that morning as she began to think about the future -- and, of course, the past. She had lived an exciting life and had learned tremendously about life, self-esteem, and how to protect oneself.

"Lizzie Jane," called Aunt Maudie. "You have another visitor. One you have never seen."

"Oh, I wonder who that could be", Lizzie Jane said aloud. She quickly ran downstairs. There was an elderly woman sitting in a chair, smiling. She looked to be in her upper 80's. Lizzie Jane had no idea who she was.

"Lizzie Jane, meet my mother -- your grandmother -- Ruth Ann Fortson."

Her grandmother? Seems like she had heard that name somewhere before, but could not place when or where. Seems like it was something that Sally had taught in school. Oh yes, Lizzie Jane remembered. Sally mentioned that we had a person in Alabama that used to be famous.

Lizzie Jane stood there shocked! Was this her grandmother? Ruth Ann Fortson? The woman who met a professional gunslinger in the west and outdrew him? The woman, who could drawn her gun faster than any man except Wild Bill Hickok? The woman who whipped a strong indian brave single-handed to rescue some children? This was her grandmother?

"Hello dear," said the lady as she reached out her hand. "I have heard much about you from Maudie and you are a very brave young lady."

"But -- but -- but, not as brave as you," said Lizzie Jane.

Ruth Ann smiled. "Now don't you believe everything you hear about me. Most of those things are exaggerated. I am just an ordinary happy married woman. In fact, your grandfather will be here before the wedding."

"My school teacher told me so much about you, but there is nothing written in books. I thought you might have been a legend," said Lizzie Jane.

"No, after I left the west, it seems that my exploits was considered fables and that suited me just fine. You know -- kind of like Pecos Bill. I may have fought an indian brave, but I never killed a T-Rex."

"Oh, Aunt Maudie has been talking to you," said Lizzie Jane, giving that 'you-ought-not-have-done-that' look at Aunt Maudie. Aunt Maudie just grinned.

"I brought you a present," said Ruth Ann, handing Lizzie Jane a large package.

Opening it up, she found a wedding dress. "Oh, this is so nice, but I was going to get married in a regular dress. These are too expensive."

"Oh, pa-shaw. There isn't anything too good for my granddaughter. I just wish your mother was here to see what a fine young lady you turned out to be. We have done very well on our farm over in Blountsville. We have three chicken houses and some fine cattle."

With tears in her eyes, Lizzie Jane rushed over to Ruth Ann and hugged her neck. "Grandmaw, thank you so much. I never knew you, but I think I will love you to pieces."

"Hope so," stated Ruth Ann.

"Aunt Maudie, Sam and Carol wants me to be partners with them in their restaurant. Think Uncle Jed will sign the papers for me?"

"I am sure he will. He signed for you to get married, didn't he? And he let Sam talk him into one of the best pieces of our property for the restaurant. So, I am sure that he would not refuse his favorite adopted daughter partnership in a business that he furnished the property for," said Aunt Maudie.

"May I use the pickup?" asked Lizzie Jane. "I need to run to the store for just a minute."

"Sure, you know where the keys are."

Lizzie Jane cranked the old GMC and drove down the road. It had a straight stick in the floor. She was so happy. Not only was she getting married, but the most famous person in her family history was going to be there.

She wondered if there were any more family members that she had never seen who will come to the wedding. However, she was not prepared for a bigger surprise to come.

--To be Continued
-
-
If anyone wants to know more about Lizzie Jane's grandmother, go to

http://www.fictioneer.org/content/prairies-children-chapter-1
-
-
-

This will probably be a slow story in developing, but at the right time, some of you will understand why.

-smile from the author-

-
-
-

 © 2008 by Starla Anne Lowry
under the pen name of Billie Sue
-
-
-

All characters are fictitious and any resemblance to persons, living or dead, are coincidental, except occassional references to famous historical persons.

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Billie Sue, Thank You For Continuing Lizzie Jane And The

Surprise of her Grandmother arriving for the wedding. Is the Surprise Wild Bill showing up? But with this chapter, you have told us what happens in your story at Fictioneer! Now, I hope that others will go and read Prairie's Children and Return To Gorilla Island.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lizzie Jane's surprise coming up

No, the surprise is not Wild Bill Hickok showing up. I have been planning this for some time now, so I am not going to spoil the surprise.

I don't think it ruins "Prairie's Children" by letting readers know that Ruth Ann (the grandmother) lives to a ripe old age.

There is a reason the story may be slow in developing. If you don't see a chapter every week, don't give up. It will be coming if I don't kick the bucket.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue