The Play Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

I'm releasing the first chapter of two different stories today, The Play and Twin Swap. I'd like to continue them both but not at the same time so let me know what you think of them and which one you'd rather I write first!

The bell rang and I grabbed my bag and bolted from the classroom. The sooner I got to the theater and found out what my part was, the sooner I'd be able to go home. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the play until play practice tomorrow.

Damn... play practice. Why was it that time of year again?

I go to an all boys school and the school has certain rules about extra carricular activities. Everyone has to play at least one sport (that was fine, I play two and am the captain of the soccer and baseball teams), everyone had to be in one club (also fine, I always did his club work in school) and everyone has to do at least one play. I don't love doing the plays but I usually do it with my friends and we make it fun, or at least tolerable. The school puts on 3 shows a year, one in each season, and me and my friends would always do the winter one, so it wouldn't conflict with soccer or baseball. Today we would be finding out our roles. Mrs. Cato, the drama teacher always had everyone in the play come to the theater and announced the roles rather than posting them on a list so that if we had any questions about our parts we could ask her after. There were maybe two kids who ever actually had questions, the two kids who did multiple plays a year, but Mrs Cato still preferred to do things this way.

I checked my phone. 3:20. My teacher had held me late in science. I flew down the stairs into the basement where the theater was navigating the hall ways at something between a walk and sprint. When I finally got there I grabbed the closest seat, right next to my friend, Cameron, and flung my bag at my feet.

The theater has a handful of kids, spread around the seats facing the stage, talking in small clusters facing the stage. About half to kids were here already but Mrs Cato didn't seem to be. Cameron looked up at me.

"Sup dude?" he said nodding.

"Not much, you?" I responded.

"Not much. Just waiting to be able to leave." he said with a smile.

Cameron a laid back, dark haired kid, who despite his baby face and frame even thinner than mine has already started started puberty. His voice had gotten lower and he was hairier than most of us. He's also on the baseball team with me and one of my closest friends.

"Cato, come in yet?" I asked him.

He shook his head and the door opened and we both turned around to see my friend Austin enter and grab the seat on my other side.

"Fuck dude, that time of year again." he said with a smile. "Time to get our acting on."

Austin was a friendly kid with floppy brown hair and an athletic body type. He wasn't as skinny as most of us but was the furthest thing from fat. He was always joking around, had a relaxed, laid back vibe and was very popular with the girls at the girls school down the street

"Tell me about it. Last one ever." I say grinning back. After middle school the plays are no longer mandatory. "Are you nervous?"

Austin gives me a look. "About my part?" I nod. "Not really, they don't like to make you play a girl twice and I played the chick in My Fair Lady in 6th grade. Remember?"

I smiled at the memory of Austin having to play the lead My Fair Lady.

"You were a babe" I said with a laugh and Cameron grinned. "Made it easy to serenade you." My part had involved falling in love with Austin's character. "Broke my heart when you chose that doctor guy or professor guy or whatever he was."

"Thanks dude. Hope it didn't take you too long to get over me." Austin said a smile. "You nervous?"

There was always a certain nervousness in the theater because a few unfortunate kids always had to play girl parts. This wasn't that big a deal, because a handful of guys had to do it every year and deal with the jokes and whoever had to would usually turn it into a joke themselves, but almost everyone would rather not have to. Some of the kids who were into acting actually enjoyed the challenge. I'd never had to do it but I wasn't that worried. I have kind of a guyish vibe and I figured that's why I'd never been cast in a girl part although that hadn't stopped Mrs Cato before. I knew they tried to spread out who had to play girls. I knew there was a a small handful of girl parts and only some 15 people had signed up for this play. I knew it was possible but I wasn't worried about it.

"Not really." I replied. "I don't think it'll be me, and even if it is its probably not that bad."

"Its not" Austin said. "It was funny. Kinda fun honestly."

I put on a high pitched voice. "Um Austin, is there something you want to tell me?" I say with a laugh.

We all laugh.

"You are a pretty good singer though Trevor" Cameron says, "thats why Cato always gives you a part. So you never know."

"Yeah" I say with a grin. "I'm a fucking star. I'm practically Aaron fucking Patterson" Aaron Patterson is one of the kids who actually likes acting and he's a legitimately good actor. "You ever had a girl part, Cam?" I ask.

He grins.

"Yeah remember. That year I played basketball and did the fall play. I played one of the girls in Annie orphanage" he said with a slightly embarrassed smile. "Wasn't too bad. Certainly didn't have it as bad as James Ordonowitz or Nick Galloway."

James and Nick had played Annie and the woman who came to pick any up from the orphanage. Ordonowitz is one of those kids who is into the whole theater thing. He's obsessed with Aaron Patterson and thinks he's an incredible actor like him but he isn't even so everyone always messes with him about it. He was actually excited to be Annie. Galloway on the other hand hated it so much he joined the year book club just to make sure no photos of him in the dress made it into the yearbook. Usually the move was to enjoy it less than James Ordownowitz but have more fun with it than Nick Galloway.

"That's right! Galloway was tight about that for months. I think he still might be." I said.

"Yo Trevor, where's Dylan?" Cameron asked me. "He better come soon." He said as Mrs. Cato had just entered the room holding her paper.

Dylan is my best friend and we spend enough time together that its reasonable to expect me to know where he is most of the time. In last year's year book our superlative was "cutest bromance."

"He's sick today, dude. I'm gonna text him what his part is."

"Oh right" Cameron said nodding. "I was wondering why I hadn't seen him."

"Ehhem." Mrs Cato cleared her throat from the stage and we slowly quieted down. She was a slightly older woman but still rather pretty, especially for her age. She had taught here for over 30 years and despite teaching drama, not the most popular subject at an all boys school, was generally well liked.

"Alright boys. Thanks for coming in. I'm going to read out the names of the characters and then who is going to play them. Remember, I'm not making you play this person for the rest of your life. You just have to do it in three performances." she smiled. "And also please be kind to each other. Some of you are going to have big parts, some of you are going to have small parts. Some of you will have to sing. Some of you will not have to sing. And of course, some of you will play females.." the theater filled with laughter, "and some of you will play males. That's just the the deal at an all boys school. Just because I cast you as a girl that doesn't make you any less of a man." she smiled. "Shall we get to it?"

There were mumbled yes's around the room.

"Alright!" she said with enthusiasm. "When I say your name say here. The play will be... Beauty and the Beast." There were more giggles and shared glances. This meant one of us would be playing the Beauty in Beauty And the Beast.

"So lets get started" Mrs. Cato continued. "So playing Belle... Trevor Layton."

I heard some giggles. Austin nudged me and gave me a grin.

FUCK! Why me!?!? As she called my name I instantly realized that all that stuff I was thinking about it not being that bad when I was talking to to Austin and Cameron was BS. This was terrible. This might be the worst thing to ever happen to me. Was I exagerrating? Was I being a baby? All I knew was I was much unhappier than I thought I would be.

"Trevor?" Mrs Cato repeated, "You here?"

"Oh, yeah. Here!" I said glumly.

"Ok! The Beast... Dylan Abbott"

Dylan was the beast? Was that good or bad? I guess having him play to prince I fall in love with is better than having some random kid I dont even...

"Dylan?" Mrs Cato's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Oh he's sick! I'll tell him." I shouted up at the stage.

"Fantastic, thank you Trevor. So, Gaston... Aaron Patterson"

"Here"

I finally had to play a girl. I'd never really paid attention to what you have to do in playing a girl? Would I have to wear a dress in all the rehearsals?

"Lumiere... Drew Cotter"

"Here"

I wonder who else would be playing a girl. There was probably a little bonding and solidarity between the guys who had to play girls in each play. Kind of a we're in this together thing There had to be a few other girl parts in Beauty and the Beast. Was Lumiere a girl? Drew Cotter was a nice kid. That wouldn't be terrible.

"Cogsworth... James Ordonowitz"

"Here"

Maybe Austin or Cameron would play a girl. Most things are more fun when you do it with friends. Still, even if they do play girls I definitely have the worst most girly part, don't I?

"Mrs. Potts... Jason Spires"

"Here"

Well that was definitely a girl. Jason Spires was an ok kid. Not one of my close friends but a nice dude.

"Chip... Cameron Collins"

"Here"

I could tell from Cameron's expression that he knew that Chip was not a girl. Damn.

"LeFou... Bobby Nixon"

"Here"

What kind of a name is LeFou? Could that be a girl?

"Babette... Austin Reily"

"Here"

YES! That was a girl. Me and Austin would both have to do this. Although Austin's part was definitely not going to be as bad as mine right. Would I have to wear high heels?

"Maurice... Jonathan Sandt"

"Here"

Lucky bastard, playing someone who was clearly a boy. Would I have to wear dresses for all the rehearsals. Why couldn't I remember what usually happened in past plays?

"Madame de la Grande Bouch... Howard Pilkins"

"Here"

Oh shit! Would I have to kiss a boy? Dylan? Aaron Patterson? Did we do kissing in these plays? Why couldn't I remember that either? Am I really that upset about this?

"Monsieur D'Arque... Rick Thompkins"

"Here"

There was no chance I could convince her to change my part was there? What if I just quit? That would fix it. Could I do that? Then I'd look like an idiot who can't take a joke. Most of my friends had done it, why couldn't I. And then I'd have to do the spring play and couldn't play baseball.

"and finally, playing the silly girls..." she smiled "Sam, Liam and Charlie Josephs."

"Here" a few deep voices said over laughter.

The Josephs triplets are these who are at least 5 inches taller than everyone else and 50 pounds heavier. They're already shaving, play offensive line for the football team and the thought of them playing "the silly girls" would usually be enough to make me laugh but I was focused on my own problems right now.

"As always feel free to stay back if you have some questions about your character. Otherwise I will see you tomorrow for practice." Mrs Cato finished.

The sound of 15 13 year old boys suddenly being told they can leave school slowly took over the theater as everyone rose to their feet and grabbed their bags talking and laughing about the casting.

"Trevor has to be a princess!"

"The Josephs are the "silly girls!""

"Who's Monsieur D'Arque?"

"Ready to head home, m'lady?" Cameron asked with a grin.

Me, Cameron, Dylan and Austin all lived in the same general area and usually all walked home together.

"Uh yeah" I said spacily looking at Mrs Cato who was talking to Aaron Patterson. "You know what, why don't you too go ahead."

"I didn't mean anything by it" Cameron said the smile fading. "Just a joke dude. C'mon you should get used to it. You're gonna hear a lot of them."

I forced a smile. "No its not that. I just wanna talk to Mrs Cato."

"Oh, ok." Cameron said giving me a look. "You sure your good, Trev?"

"Yeah! Of course! Why wouldn't I be?"

"Playing a chick isn't that bad." Austin said. "I have to do it for a second time. It'll be fine."

"I'm not upset" I said. "I'll catch you guys tomorrow."

I walk up to where Mrs Cato is now talking to James Ordonowitz who is deep in conversation.

"And is Cogsworths past life," he says dramatically "did he have any family? Or was he mostly confined to the castle then too, mostly socializing with his fellow servants?"

I could tell Mrs Cato found these questions slightly stupid but appreciated James enthusiasm.

"That's really up to you James. Fill in the character however you want. Make it your own."

Maybe I should have gone with Cameron and Austin. James looked like he might take a while.

"Ok. And his relationship with the beast..." James continued as I tuned him out. What did I even want to say to Mrs Cato? What could I say?

"James, why don't you meet with me during a free period because I can tell you have a lot of thoughts and questions and I think Trevor is waiting" Mrs Cato said sweetly.

"Sure." James replied. "I might write some backstory for him."

"Go for it" Mrs Cato said, although I thought she sounded slightly sarcastic, as James left the theater.

I was the last one here.

"So what's up Trevor?" she asked.

I cleared my throat.

"So my part, um, I'm not trying to complain but, uh... why me?"

She smiled kindly.

"Are you ok with your part? I didn't think you'd mind. You always have seemed very confident and secure in yourself. I never want to force someone to play a girl if they have a real problem with it."

"No its fine, I'm just not super hyped, I guess."

She smiled again. "Thats ok. Look it comes down to this, Trevor. You've been in three plays for me since 5th grade and you've never played a girl. Most boys have played girls at this point but you haven't so its not fair to make people do it twice when you haven't done it once."

That made sense I guess.

"Besides," she continued "I need someone with a decent singing voice to be a lead. You have a good voice. And as you boys get older, certain factors dictate for me who can play a girl and who can't."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Nothing bad." she said quickly. "Just I can't cast the biggest, tallest, boys as girls because they wouldn't fit in the costumes and I can't cast the boys with the lowest voices as girls because that would sound strange and I can't cast the hairiest most developed boys as girls either. Like your friend Cameron."

I nod.

"So its nothing about you personally." she continued. "It's just the fact that you are the right size for the costumes and have a normal voice for a boy your age."

Then like she was reading my mind said "I cast the Joseph's as girls because it will be funny for the audience. Like a joke. Seeing them play women."

When I didn't say anything she smiled. "Honestly, it didn't hurt that you have very nice features. You have a very pretty face. I don't mean that as a bad thing. Girls will flock to you for that in a few years."

I smile slightly.

"Did you know that in Shakespeare's time all the female parts were played by males? Tons of boys have done this." she paused and smiled at me again. "Believe me, it wont be that bad, Trevor." Mrs Cato says. "In a year you won't even care."

Feeling slightly better I thanked Mrs. Cato and left the theater.

I whipped out my phone and texted Dylan.

Play is Beauty and the beast. U r the beast

He texted back quickly.

Damn big part what r u?

I sighed and texted back

Beauty

I got about 10 laughing emojis back.

that's actually great tho, i'd rather have to fall in love with u than any other boy in the world <3

I snorted.

thanks bro that means to world to me

I didn't want to tell my parents about my part and I especially didn't want to tell my brother or sister. I was the youngest of three and my 15 year old brother, Julian, and 17 year old sister, Abby, would definitely find the whole thing hilarious.

Julian had played a girl once too but it wasn't bad for him at all seeing as he had played the mother gorilla in Tarzan and wore the same costume all the other guys wore.

I went straight to my room and finished my homework and laid down for a second only to wake up 4 hours later by my mom.

"Trevor! You fell asleep sweety! It's dinner time."

"Can I just go to sleep" I mumbled.

"Ok fine but eat a big breakfast tomorrow" she said as she slipped out of my room and turned off the lights.

The next morning I woke up feeling a little better about the whole thing. Almost every guy at St. David's has played a girl at some point so why was I freaking out about it.

I met Dylan on the corner in front of his house like I do every morning to walk to school with him. He was already waiting for me.

"There he is!" he said smiling. "Or should I say... there she is" he said with a laugh.

"Oh dude your so funny" I said dryly as we bro hugged.

"I'm proud of you Trev! Star of the play! You ready for practice today?" he said with a goofy smile.

"Ready as I'll ever be I guess." I responded trying to smile.

When we got to school, it was clear everyone had heard about it and everyone had their own little joke. While I was eating lunch with Cameron, Austin and Dylan, tons of guys come to me and make a little joke but it wasn't any worse than the greif anyone took when people found out they were playing a main girl role in the play. Some of the jokes were more clever than others but I laughed them all off.

'Nice shirt Trevor, its BEUATIful"

"So, I heard your going to be the Belle, of the ball."

"Don't eat too much. Wanna fit into your dress, Princess."

Austin laughed after the 10th kid came up to us.

"Hey Trevor, did you know your playing Belle?" he said sarcastically.

"For real dude?" I said acting surprised.

We laughed.

"Seriously though, I don't think we've ever had someone play a princess. I think this is the more feminine part we've ever had someone play" Cameron said.

"Its a good thing we've got my most feminine friend to play her" Austin said with a grin at me. "Seriously though" he continued turning to Cameron. "I'm just glad Trevor and Dylan are finally taking their relationship to the next level. From bromance to on stage romance, just a step away from taking each other to prom."

Dylan slowly put his arm around me and I laughed.

"Oh Trev that reminds me." He put his other hand on mine. "Will you to to prom with me?"

I put on a fake girly voice.

"Oh my god... Dylannnnnn.... oh my god... of course!"

We all laughed.

"And that is why your playing the princess" Cameron said.

When play practice finally came it wasn't as bad as I thought. Mrs Cato spent most of the time going through the script and characters. We read through the beginning of the script and I started thinking this might not be so bad.

I'd never seen or read Beauty And The Beast so the whole story was new to me. It turns out that half the characters in Beauty And The Beast are servants who were turned into living objects that live in the castle. It also turns out that the characters of "silly girls" are just these girls who drool over every thing Gaston does. Mrs Cato casting the Josephs in these parts was a pretty funny move. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I was even starting to enjoy myself. I was in such a good mood that when Mrs Cato asked if the people playing girls would stay back for a little after we finished, I didn't even mind.

Me, Austin, Jason Spires, Howard Pilkens, and the Josephs triplets all stayed back.

"Alright boys." she said smiling at us. "First I just want to say it takes a lot of bravery to play a girl as a teenage boy and I'm proud of all of you. Second, I don't want to torment you but I do want to make sure you guys do a decent job and as you guys probably know girls wear different clothes than guys do and some of those are harder to move in." We all kind of looked around sharing goofy, slightly awkward looks.

"Who among you have played girls before?" she asked.

Austin, Howard and Sam Josephs raised their hands.

"So basically we need to get you guys used to wearing and walking in things like high heels and dresses." she paused as we all squirmed and shared looks again. "This doesn't have to be awkward or embarrassing. It can be funny or even fun. We just have to make it so that you guys can move comfortably in the costumes so you can play the characters."

She looked over us again.

"Actually Howard, you are essentially playing a cabinet so you only have to wear this giant cabinet costume and your suppose to move around in a clunky way, so you can go."

"Oh, great!" Howard said and he got his bag and left.

"Hey Mrs. C, we were thinking" Liam said "that maybe the joke could be that the silly girls all look like guys, and kind of have guyish features and traits, because we all do anyway. So maybe it makes it funnier that Gaston is trying to impress them and their so into him because they're all kind of man-like?"

Mrs Cato smiled. "Yeah that does sound funny. That was kind of what I was thinking anyway when I cast you guys in those parts."

"Right" Liam said. "So we don't have to practice wearing all the stuff either then do we?"

"Oh, I guess you're right about that. You guys can go too." Mrs Cato agreed.

This left just me, Austin and Jason.

"All right" Mrs Cato said. "So unfortunately you boys don't have an out. So what we're going to do is I'm going to show you the costumes and you guys are going to try them on make sure they generally fit, its dresses and shoes boys no getting around it, and just move around in them. Get used to them. If you could just do that for a 10-20 minutes after each practice you'd be set for when we do the show. I'm not going to make you wear them before we start doing dress rehearsals or anything but just get used to moving in them. Alright?"

"Alright," "Sure," "Yeah" we grunted at her.

"And boys, like I said, try to have fun with this. You three are in this together and its going to be what you make of it. I've had boys who make it a miserable for themselves and boys who have genuinely had fun with it. So be boys. Make jokes about each other. Goof around. Have fun. But support each other. It really is what you make of it." She smiled and she seemed pleased with her speech. It was clear that she'd given it many times before and felt this was the best way to get teenage boys to feel ok about dressing up like girls for a play in front of all their friends.

"So," she said her voice picking up, "how bout I show you the costumes?"

We followed her backstage to a room full of costumes she pulled out a few and moved them around and led us to a hook where she placed a very oddly shaped pale pink dress with bright pink trip on the hook. The dress was very puffy and stuck out like a circle around the waist. Under the book was a pair of small white heels.

"This is you Jason" she said giving a smile. "I warn you, this is a difficult dress to walk in, it might take you a little while."

"I'm so excited" Jason said flatly but flashed a smile at Mrs Cato to let her know he was joking.

"And its also very difficult to put on, so you may need assistance." she added.

She moved on the the next hook which held a very fancy looking, shiny, long black and white french maids dress. A pair of black heels sat under the hook.

"This one is you Austin." she said smiling. "Do you think you remember any of this from from My Fair Lady?"

Austin smiled back. "Doubt it Mrs C. That was two years ago and I haven't really made a habit of wearing a dress and heels."

Mrs Cato laughed. "Of course not. Well you remember what the process was like from then though. Its not that bad. You guys get a lot of down time and its fairly relaxed. You just have to get used to moving in them."

"I can't wait" Austin said sarcastically bring out another smile from Mrs Cato.

"And lastly," Mrs Cato said leading me to the last hook, I saw Jason and Austin watching as she did, "we have your dresses Trevor, yes, dresses plural."

She held up the dress in her hand. "This dress is for the beginning when your at home," it was a rather plain, blue and white dress, "and then this dress" she gestured towards the long, floor length, plain, pink dress "is for when you travels to the castle and the beginning of your time in the castle, and this dress" she opens the door the a small changing room to reveal a huge, puffy, frilly, floor length yellow dress, "is for the end. The final dance and all that good stuff."

She smiled and I heard Jason and Austin chuckling in the background. I gave a slight smile.

"Alright boys" she said with a smile. "Get changed and just walk around for 15 or 20 minutes and then your good to go. And remember, Jason and Trevor will probably need help getting into theirs. Call me when your dressed."

We all shared a look with each other.

Mrs Cato left and we all burst out laughing.

"All right" Austin said. "I guess we better get going."

Jason stripped down to his underwear and stepped into his bizarre, hour glass shaped, dress as me and Austin pulled it up and zipped up the back for him. It was a strange feeling, helping him fit into the dress.

Jason struggled to walk normally immediately after being zipped into his dress fully but tottered over to me to help me into mine as Austin stripped down to his underwear and put on his dress.

"Haha!" I laughed as Austin gave me fake girly, sexy looks. "Your so sexy dude."

"Am I?" he asked. He dropped the hanger he was holding and slowly bent down to pick it up, jokingly wiggling his but for me and Jason as we laughed. I suddenly realized I was the only one still in boy clothes.

I took of my clothes and stepped into the long pink dress dress. I took a deep breath as I stepped into the dress and Jason zipped up the back, laughing pleasantly. I turned to the mirror and laughed startled to see myself in a dress but also seeing Austin in the background, struggling to get into his and Jason teetering over to another mirror behind me. I took another deep breath and tried to smile.

"Pretty Trev!" Austin said with a smile.

We fucked around for a few minutes, goofing off and getting used to wearing the dresses before I remembered I had to try on two other dresses. I slipped on the blue and white dress easily and a few minutes later went back for the frilly yellow one.

"Uh guys, I think I might need some help with this one!"

Austin helped me into the dress and zipped up the back and gave me a pat on the back.

"There you go princess" he said with a laugh.

"Shut up" I said laughing back as I looked at myself in the mirror.

"So fancy!" Jason called from across the room. "Do a twirl!"

I laughed and jokingly twirled around as Jason and Austin laughed.

As I was twirling the door opened as Mrs. Cato came back in. "Glad to see you guys are enjoying yourselves!" she said with a kindly smile. "You never came and got me. It's not a problem though!" she said cutting off Austin's beginning of an apology. She looked around. "You all look fantastic!"

"Thanks, I think" I said as we laughed.

"Anyway I'm sure you guys are eager to change back into your clothes and get home."

"Yeah."

"For sure."

"Uh huh."

"So why don't you change back and just leave the dresses on that empty rack." she indicated a rack in the corner of the room. "We'll pick up again tomorrow but it seems like you guys got off to a good start."

"It wasn't too bad" I admitted.

"Yeah" Jason agreed, "I thought it would be way worse."

We put our normal clothes back on, and hung the dresses up. Turns out hanging dresses up is a lot harder than it seems. Jason's especially didn't seem to want to get on the hanger. Jason lives right across the street from school, so we said goodbye to him and me and Austin walked home together.

"See, told you it wouldn't kill you?" he said.

"Yeah. Like I said it wasn't that bad. Don't love the idea of doing it a bunch more times but I'll live."

"Certainly looked like you were enjoying yourself." Austin grinned and jokingly twirled around.

"Shut up, maid!" I said laughing. I realized how glad I was that I wasn't doing this alone, that Austin, and Jason too, was in this with me. Trying on a dress alone would have sucked but messing around with Austin and Jason and laughing about it after was almost fun.

"Seriously, I can't wait to see you on costume day." Austin said grinning.

"Whats costume day?" I asked.

"Its like what we just did but the Monday before the play Cato makes the main actors wear their costumes to school to work up excitement about the play. I wonder if she'll make you wear the fancy one."

"What? Since when... how could..." I started but then I saw Austin's face break out into a smile.

"Your such an idiot Trevor!" he howled with laughter. "Costume day! You actually thought that was real for a solid like 10 seconds!"

I laughed, relieved as much as I was amused. "You're actually such a dick, dude!"

"Costume day! You thought that shit was real! I love you Trev but sometimes..." he laughed more.

When we got to Austin's house we bro hugged and said goodbye.

"Later dude."

"Later man."

I headed home, in a much better mood than I ever thought I would be after trying on three dresses.

Again let me know if you'd rather see this story or my other new story "Twin Swap" get chapter two first.

up
295 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I read both stories

Donna T's picture

Both storied read well but I think "The Play" has more potential. "Seriously, I can't wait to see you on costume day."

Donna

I like the Play and the Twin Swap...

But I lean towards Twin Swap as both twins will be out of character and have to deal with the changes. Tiffany might get upset if Johnny can throw the ball better and gets to play. She may also find herself troubled by becoming friends with girls as friends and feelings that arise in attracting bos, though she may not be going out of her way to do so. The Play might be better for the first story as many of us are already exposed to the story and images. Your call DB.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Both story starts are equally

Both story starts are equally good and did get me interested in both. That being said, I do believe "The Play" edged out "Twin Swap" just by an eyebrow hair.
Actually want both, but that can and could be very hard for the writer to do, trying to juggle two very different stories and the cast of characters contained within each.

They're both good

but I think this one is a little more light hearted and fun so far. I vote for this one.

I vote for ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... "The Play": No punishment, lighthearted.

BE a lady!

both very good

The play holds more intrerest to me as O am also a big fan of Beauty and the Beast, and whenI was 12 I had to play a Male Detective because not enough boys came to auditions

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I like both

But I vote for Twin Swap

Continue

The play please. Booth stories look interesting. Thanks

The Play

WillowD's picture

I find Twin Swap to be a really good story. I will look forward to future chapters. However, I find The Play to be a spectacular story. I love the way the boys are happy and enjoying themselves, as well as the interaction between the kids and the teacher. And there is a lot more dialog between the kids in this story, whereas in Twin Swap there is very little actual dialog between the kids.

This story reminds me a lot of Tanya Allan's Shit Happens... so do Miracles. Both involve boys putting on a play in a boy's school, as told from the perspective of the leading lady. The quality of the plot, the characters and the dialog are very similar. I have probably re-read Tanya's book a half dozen times by now. So, yes, I am definitely voting for The Play first.

I liked both

LostNeo's picture

I really enjoyed both Storys and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Forced extracurricular activities?

Jamie Lee's picture

Forcing students to be involved in extracurricular activities shouldn't be done. A boy who wants to play sports or belong to a club or act should have the opportunity. And those who have no interest in and of the three areas should be allowed to not participate.

A kid whose terrible at sports, no matter the amount of practice, can become a target if forced to play a sport. If the kid is that bad it's likely he'll end up with splinters in his butt. What's been accomplished if the kid sits on the bench all the time? All that's been done is to waste the kids' time doing nothing. Yes he'll be part of a team but he won't have helped but keep the bench warm.

Clubs can be of a multitude of types. But if none interest a boy, again, what's been accomplished by forcing him into something he has no interest in?

The last is being in a play. Trauma 101 for a lot of people, young boys included. And then having to play the roll of a girl? Yeah, a boy whose terrorized by playing such a roll would never let other boys see the terror because it isn't considered manly. Yet that terror would build until a trigger causes it all to rush out. And the trigger might be all the teasing that's "harmless fun."

The reason for the forced extracurricular activities is to expose the boys different types of activities. And that's commendable. But it doesn't work for every boy and instead of having a positive affect, could have a detrimental one. Especially if his home life is terrible.

Something is up with Trevor and acting like a girl, especially since he doesn't want his family to know. Does he have a secret he doesn't want anyone to discover? If he doesn't tell his family before the play is put on, won't they find out when family is allowed to attend?

Trevor does a good job of acting like he's going along with all the teasing, but there's something there which says he hates it all.

Others have feelings too.

Please finish The Play first

I read all of Twin Swap and wanted more, but now having read this, I am in agreement with Willow, the lightheartedness and dialog are really good in this. Thank you for your efforts and I know I'll love either one you work.

>>> Kay

Please finish The Play first

I read all of Twin Swap and wanted more, but now having read this, I am in agreement with Willow, the lightheartedness and dialog are really good in this. Thank you for your efforts and I know I'll love either one you work.

>>> Kay

I had to re-read this first

Donna T's picture

I had to re-read this first chapter after reading Chapter 2 to refresh what all is going on. I had forgotten this detail: ""Seriously, I can't wait to see you on costume day." Austin said grinning. "Whats costume day?" I asked.

"Its like what we just did but the Monday before the play Cato makes the main actors wear their costumes to school to work up excitement about the play. I wonder if she'll make you wear the fancy one." - It will be interesting.

Donna