Alex and The Chocolate Tree

Printer-friendly version
chocotree.gif
          
Alex took a deep breath and detected a faint sweetness.

"Yes, I think so, what is it?" he asked.

"You'll see," replied Sioned mysteriously.

Alex and The Chocolate Tree

by Alys



 

There was a banging on the front door of the tiny three room cottage, with a ragged thatch roof in need of repair, which represented an refuge at last for Alex and his Mother after years of toil in the cotton mills.

"Who on earth is calling so early in the morning," asked Alex's Mother as the two of them sat at the table finishing their meagre breakfast.

"I have no idea Mother, shall I answer the door for you?" Alex asked.

"Yes, please do, that will give me time to finish my food," she replied.

Alex went to the door and unlatched it. He opened it carefully and was surprised to see his elder cousin, Sioned, standing there with an eager look on her face.

"Hello cousin, you must come with me I have something amazing to show you," she said excitedly.

"Who is it?" asked Alex's Mother.

"It's Sioned," replied Alex.

"What does she want?" asked his Mother.

"She wants me to go somewhere with her," he replied.

"OK, but don't be too long, you have to chop some wood later," his Mother said tersely.

"Yes, Mother," he agreed before following Sioned and closing the door after himself.

As they ran along the path together, Alex noticed other children following behind. He asked Sioned where they were going and she explained that a few years before she had discovered a tree with special properties. No child, under about thirteen, who ate the fruits of this tree had ever been sick or had any other ailments for the rest of the year.

"Can't you smell it?" she asked, as they approached a some thick bushes on the edge of the forest.

Alex took a deep breath and detected a faint sweetness.

"Yes, I think so, what is it?" he asked.

"You'll see," replied Sioned mysteriously.

A few minutes later they had joined a small crowd of children that were eating the fruits of a little tree in a small clearing behind the bushes. Sioned plucked one off and offered it to Alex.

"Try it, you'll be surprised," she said.

Alex took the small, brown spherical fruit and gingerly placed it in his mouth. The taste and texture as he bit into the fruit astonished him. He had lived in the city and had occasionally found small pieces discarded on the floor. He knew the taste but he couldn't believe it. How could it be possible. A tree with fruits of chocolate!

"What do you think?" asked Sioned.

"It is wonderful," he replied, before picking one for himself.

"Well you look pretty healthy, if a little thin, so I can't imagine anything being cured for you, but at least you won't get any chills or colds," his twelve year old cousin stated.

Alex savoured the feeling of the chocolate melting in his mouth and wished there was a way of curing his mental torment. Somehow, though, he felt more relaxed and happy, something his Mother commented on when he finished his chores with plenty of time in hand and proceeded to help her planting in the garden.

The next morning Alex awoke and immediately was aware of some different bodily feelings. A smile appeared on the usually sad face.

Looking in the mirror, without wearing any clothes a few moments later, Alex knew that at last there was a cure for the years of mental torture as the image confirmed the emergence, at last, of the girl within.


The End

 

up
59 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Source

The source of this story is a tale I used to tell my children when they were little. This is a new variation of one of the many different versions I had then :-)

A sort of origin of the tree is in a story I posted on the Fictioneer site today.

http://fictioneer.org/

Hugs,

Alys

Yummy

Shame they didn't have these trees in the orchard at the bottom of my garden when I was a kid.

Susie

So exactly where is this

So exactly where is this tree? Ahhhh, Chocolate, a Girls' second best friend after Diamonds. Giggle, J-Lynn

Where is it?

Somewhere over the rainbow?

Hugs

Alys

Very Good Story Alys, But I Have A Question

Will you tell of the outcome of the transformation?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Outcome

Thanks for the comment, you are always so generous :-)

I hoped the end was clear, but it's tricky to write without mixing the pronouns,

ie "Alex looked at her new female body/his new female body", neither sounded right to me so I tried to say the same thing indirectly.

Hugs,

Alys

Curious as well...

Wonderful story - Alys, your imagination never ceases to astound, entertain and please me!

The effects of the fruit were said to only last for a year, and only affect the children under 13, so I was wondering as to the permanence of the changes....

And of course, the mother's and neighbors' reactions would be interesting - did anyone else 'suffer' any such, or opposite changes....? Lots of possibilities, if you so choose to develop the story further....;)

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Mum Will Get A Shock

joannebarbarella's picture

And Alex may not be up to chopping wood in the future :-)
Joanne

A Lovely Tale Alys...question though..

Frank's picture

What happens to her after the year is up? Does she have to eat from the tree each year?

Huggles

Alexis

Hugs

Frank