A Change Of Pace - Part 2

Printer-friendly version

A Change Of Pace – Part 2
By Barbara Lynn Terry

Chapter 1 – And so it begins.

My name is Donald Edward Johnston. I am nineteen years old. I graduated from high school last year. I was still looking for work. So far, I have not found one place that would hire an inexperienced young man like me.

The only real option I have is working for a fast food place. I do have a driver’s license, maybe I could deliver pizza. I do need to find a job. Next semester, I will be going to college. But, in the meantime, I need a job. The problem is, where am I going to find work?

I kept looking through the want ads. So far, no luck.

A week later, I saw an obscure ad for a position for the right person. It didn’t say what the position was, or, how much it paid. All it gave was the address and what floor to report to. It is odd that they didn’t put the position in the ad. Well, what the heck, might as well check it out.

I got in my jalopy, it was all I could afford, and drove to the address. I parked in a spot that said. “visitor, Amalgamated Industries, Inc”. I went in to the building and waited for the elevator. As I went past each floor, I heard the automated voice from the speaker, announcing the floor and what company was located there.

The elevator voice finally said, “6th floor, Amalgamated Industries, Inc”. I got off of the elevator and stopped at the reception desk. I asked for an application.

“What position are you applying for?” The receptionist asked me.

“I don’t know. It didn’t say in the ad in the newspaper.”

“Well the position calls for a secretary/receptionist. Do you have any experience?”

“I only graduated from high school last year. I will be going to college next semester. But, I need a job in the meantime.”

“Ms. Fox is the supervisor for this floor. It will be up to her whether you can be hired on a temporary basis. Here is your application. Would you like a cup of coffee?”

“I don’t drink coffee, but a nice Sprite will do.”

“Sprite it is.” She left to get the soda.

I sat making out the application, when a lady approached me. She was dressed in a powder blue skirt suit.

“Hello, I’m Brenda Fox, the supervisor for this floor. What position are you applying for?”

“I’m not sure. The lady at the desk said it calls for a secretary/receptionist.”

“Do you have any experience?” Ms. Fox asked me.

“No, I did take typing 1 and 2 in high school.”

“We will test that. When you are finished, bring the application to my office. Then we can talk.”

I finished making out the application, and went to Brenda Fox’s office. I handed her the application and she bade me to sit down. She looked over the application. She set it down on her desk, then she looked at me. I felt as though she was looking at me with x-ray vision.

“There are a few policies I must go over with you,” Brenda was telling me. “First, you are applying for secretary/receptionist. The board has made a policy that all secretaries and receptionists must be properly dressed in a nice skirt suit or dress, bras and slips will be worn under your outer garments. You …” I cut her off.

“You’re kidding!” I exclaimed. “No man in his right mind would do what you are saying. You’re telling me, that for me to work here, I have to dress as a woman! Are you out of your mind?”

“If you want to work here, you do.”

“Give me a few days to think about it?”

“Of course. In fact, take a week, then call me with your decision.”

I got up to leave, then she added, “You must also carry a purse.”

That did it. My decision was simple, I will call the chairman of the board and ask him. If he confirms what Brenda Fox told me, then they can take that job and shove it. I may need to have a job, but, I will not dress as a woman just to get a job.

I got in to my jalopy and headed home. When I got home, I told my mother about what Brenda Fox had wanted me to do.

“She must be crazy,” mom replied. “By the way, Denny’s called. They accepted your application for waiter. They want you to go in at two this afternoon to get your uniform and they will go over a few things.”

“Great.”

It was just going on noon. I fixed myself a summer sausage sandwich and poured a glass of milk. I sat down to eat my lunch.

“Mom, if a woman named Brenda Fox should call, tell her I already have a job. Just don’t tell her where. I don’t need her starting any trouble.”

I went to the phone and dialed Amalgamated Industries, Inc. When the lady answered, I asked for the chairman of the board. She said just a moment, and I heard another phone ring.

“This is Brenda Fox, how may I help you?”

I hung up. So, Brenda Fox is the head of the company. That was even a better clincher for my decision not to work for Amalgamated Indistries. I thought, however, that I had not heard the last of Brenda Fox.
I took a shower and got in to clean clothes for my interview at Dennys. I put my dirty clothes in the laundry hamper and went back to the kitchen.

“I’m ready for my interview at Dennys, mom.”

“Good. I was reading up on Dennys, and if you stay there long enough, you could be an assistant manager. Then maybe even a manager. Dennys is a nation wide restaurant chain.”

After we talked a bit more, it was time for me to go. I hugged and kissed mom on the cheek. I told her that I loved her, and left. As I walked out of the house, Brenda Fox was waiting in a car by the curb.

“Hello, there. Have you made up your mind, yet?” She asked me.

“I’m still thinking about it, but right now I have an appointment to see a police lieutenant.”

“Police!” She exclaimed. “Why do you need to see the police?”

“I’m a witness to a crime and he just wants more information.”

“Oh! Alright, call me with your decision, then.” Then she left.

The police station was on the way to Dennys. I stopped at the fifteen minute parking sign, and went in. I needed to renew my parking permit anyway. My uncle James was the lieutenant I wanted to see.

When I told him what Brenda Fox wanted me to do, he called the district attorney’s office. He told whomever he was talking to about the situation. After a few minutes, he hung up.

“The assistant district attorney I talked to, said they have had many complaints about a Brenda Fox at Amalgamated Industries, Inc. He said he will look in to the matter.”

“Thanks, uncle Jim. I better get going. I have an interview at Dennys for a waiter’s job.”

“Good luck, kid.”

I stopped at the counter and renewed my parking permit. Then I went to my jalopy. I looked around, but I didn’t see Brenda Fox anywhere. I got in my car and drove to Dennys. I kept looking in my rear view mirror to see if she was following me. She wasn’t.

I arrived at Dennys and parked in the parking lot. I went in and told the waitress I will have a cup of coffee and a bagel with cream cheese. I also said that I had an interview with the manager.

About ten minutes later, a man came out and sat in the booth. He introduced himself.

“Hello, Donald, I’m Roger Foreman, store manager. Let me go over a few things. First, As a waiter here, you will be polite to all the custoners. If someone, not in your station, asks you to get them anything, tell them you will get their waitress or waiter. -

“Second, when you report, you will be dressed in your uniform, ready to start work. Third, the tips you receive must be reported to either myself, or the assistant manager on duty. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays. I see that you don’t live far from here. Do you have a car?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Great. You start tomorrow twomorning at seven. Welcome to the Dennys family.”

I went out to my car. As I left the parking lot, I looked in my rear view mirror. I saw Brenda Fox two cars behind me. I dyopped at the police station on the way home. As I pulled to the curb, she drove past me. I wrote sown ger license plate number and took it inside to my uncle Jim.

“Now we have something to work with. It is too bad that ypu don’t have a picture of her. The NCIC can identify her just from her picture.”

“If I can get her picture without her knowing it, I will bring it to you. Can you copy a picture from a camera phone?”

“Yes, Don, we can. From what you told me, this woman needs to be stopped. I will try and see if Brenda Fox is an alias for another name. In the meantime, try to get her picture.”

“I will, uncle Jim.”

As I left the station, I was thinking how I could get Brenda Fox’ picture. Then, her car pulled up and she bade me to get in. She said she needed to talk to me. It was then that uncle Jim came outside.

“Excuse me, sir, but I need you to come back inside. We got a picture faxed to us, and we need to know if this is the person you saw.”

“All right, officer, I will look at the picture.”

“Wait!” Brenda Fox exclaimed. “What about our interview?”

“It will have to wait ma’am. This is a crime we’re trying to solve. This young man is the only witness. We need his input, so we know we got the right person. By the way, ma’am, what is your name?”

“I don’t have to give you that. I will see you around, Donald.”

As Brenda Fox drove away, Lieutenant James McAvoy motioned to a passing squad car.

“Stop that car, officer, and bring the occupants to my office.”

“Right away, Lieutenant.”

The squad turned on its emergency lights, and stopped Brenda Fox’ car. Officer Duane Petoskey walked up to the driver’s side window.

“I’m dory, ma’am. But the lieutenant wants to see all of you in his office. Please step out of the vehicle.”

“Like hell I will. You have no reason to stop us, and we certainly are not going to see your lieutenant,” Brenda Fox told officer Petoskey.

“Is that so?”

Officer Petoskey, with one quick motion, opened the car door, put the car in park and turned off the engine. He kept the car keys in his hand.

As is with any police department, the procedure is to call for a paddy wagon to transport prisoners. But, in this case, the station was rwo blocks away. Officer Duane Petoskey made Brenda Fox and her male companion walk the two blocks.

This procedure was an illegal move on officer Petoskey’s part. Maybe even appealable error. Whatever the case, neither Brenda Fox or her male companion were physically abued in any way. Walking the two prisoners to the station, two blocks away, could be considered as, harmless error by an appellate court.

Well, whatever may happen on an appeal, officer Petoskey walked them to the station, and right in to the lieutenant’s office.

“Have a seat, Mrs. Abrams. Let me tell you what we know. Your name is Estelle Abrams, 34 years old, d.o.b. September 03, 1983, brown hair, blue eyes, five feet, four inches tall. There is a warrant out for your arrest in Maricopa county, Arizona. Estelle Abrams, aka, Brenda Fox, aka, Mary Hinkle. You are married to Jonathan Anrams since 2004. Did I leave anything out?”

“You fucking asshole. Why did you squeal to the cops, Donald? I coud have made you important. You assinine idiot.”

“Calling this young man names, isn’t going to get you out of being arrested. Also, we have had other complaints about you, too, from other people. But, the Maricopa county, Arizona sheriff has original jurisdiction. Officer, take these two to the booking room. I will send a fax to Arizona and let them know that we have their suspects in custody.”

“What about our rights?” Brenda Fox asked.

“When the deputies get here from Phoenix, they will give you your Miranda rights. We haven’t formally arrested you yet. But, we will place felony holds on you.

“Alright, officer, take them and book them. They are charged with sexual abuse of an employee and attempted sexual abuse of a prospective employee.”

Chapter 2 – Women’s side of the county jail.

Estelle Abrams aka Brenda Fox was taken to the women’s side of the county jail. A woman with red hair, about thirty years old, approached Brenda Fox.

“Whatcha in for, honey?” The woman asked.

“They said it is sexual abuse of an employee and attempted sexual abuse of a prospective employee. I have no idea what they’re even talking about.”

“Who arrested you?” Asked the red haired woman.

“I don’t know. A police lieutenant from the 6th district station.”

“I know all of the cops in that district. This lieutenant wouldn’t happen to be Lieutenant Jams McAcoy.”

“That was his name, yes.”

“Well, honey, you have been arrested by the best. Before he arrests someone, he already has the evidence. Who was the prospective employee?”

“What is your name?” Asked Mrs. Abrams.

I’m Robin Daniels. They said I helped my boyfriend rob a convenience store.”

“I’m Brenda Fox. They said my real name is Estelle Abrams. But, I have never used any other names other than Brenda Fox. Brenda Fox is my real name.”

“Well, honey, you ran up against a cop that doesn’t quit. By the way, it says prospective employee. Do you remember that person’s name?”

“Yes, I do, Robin. His name is Donald Johnston.”

“Brenda, sweetie, you have been had. Donald Edward Johnston is Lieutenant McAvoy’s nephew. I only know that, because he was at the station, when I was there, and he called McAvoy uncle Jim.”

“I knew this was too good to be true,” Brenda said vehemently.

“By the way, Fox, what was the sexual abuse?”

“I told the men who applied to my company, that they would have to dress like women, if they wanted to work at my company. Only one of two men accepted those terms.”

“Forcing a person to do what they otherwise wouldn’t do, is called abuse here. If you forced a man to dress as a woman, just to be hired, is sexual abuse in this state.”

“Robin, I have a protocol to follow. The board of directors are the ones who said that all secretary/receptionist in those positions shall have a specific dress code. That dress code was that all persons in those positions shall dress as women. It really was out of my hands.”

“Brenda, you have just become another person caught in the sexual abuse laws that have been passed years ago. If you didn’t know about it, just remember that ignorance of the law is no excuse.”

“Robin, there is a specific dress code, and I have to follow it.”

“If you say so, Estelle. Just remember to answer when they call you by Abrams. They are required to use your legal name.”

“But, Brenda Fox is my legal name!” She exclaimed, loudly.’

“Whatever you say, Estelle,” Robin shot back.

A female deputy sheriff came in the cell block.

“Abrams!” She said loudly. There was no reonse. “Estelle Abrams!” The deputy said as loudly as the first time.

“My name is Brenda Fox, Miss.”

“According to your file it is Estelle Anrams. We are required to call you by your legal name. Anyway, here is the information about what you are charged with. This was filed in circuit court by the district attorney.” She handed Estelle the information.

Brenda Fox read the information, then she got mad.

“Why those assholes. They’re charging me with burglary, too. What the hell is going on here?”

A woman with blonde hair, blue eyes, and a bit taller than Brenda Fox, approached.

“Listen, Estelle, most of us are convicted felons. There are some that are here for the first time. We would like it very much if you would stop moaning about this, and tell your woes to your attorney. We don’t want to hear about your problems. We have enough of our own.”

“Well, if that’s the way you feel about it.”

“It is, Estelle.” The woman walked away.

“My name is Brenda!”

“Yes, Estelle,” the woman shot back.

It was apparent that Brenda Fox, an alias of Estelle Abrams, could not get anyone in the jail to call her Brenda. She would talk to David about it. David Banks was her attorney.

It was still early. Estelle, aka, Brenda, had only been in the jail for a few hours. She was already making enemies among the inmates. So far, two of the women had determined that Estelle Abrams was loco.

Estelle filled the time with humming songs that she knew. There were eight cells to the cell block. Each cell had four bunks. There were two levels to these cell blocks. The upper level was where the cells were, the lower level had tables where the inmates could play cards, read, or do whatever. In the far corner was the television set. I was in a locked cage, with the center open so the prisoners could see the program.

Estelle had only been there a short time, and already she was getting stir crazy. The other women had been told about Estelle, so they kept a wide berth. Why did she use the name of Brenda Fox? Well, that is neither here nor there, for right now.

Estelle went to watch a little television. The women that were there decided to let Estelle watch whatever.

“Alright, listen here. I have no idea why you are all ignoring me, but I have this to say. My actual name is Brenda Fox. The police said that my name is Estelle Abrams. I have no idea why they are doing this, but I have never sexually abused anyone. And that is the gospel truth.”

“If you say so, Estelle,” came a chorus of voices.

Estelle sat down on the hard bench seat in what they call the day room. She was thinking about how to get out of this predicament. She never thought that there were any witnesses to her dealing with male enployees. So, she was thinking. She would ask David what she should do.

Estelle Abrams, aka, Brenda Fox, was notorious in her hatred of men. If she had her way, all men would be dressing as women from the skin out. But, right now, she had a real problem, and she needed David to get her out of it.

“Abrams, your attorney is here.”

“The name is Ms. Fox to you, screw,” Estelle said vehemently.

“Yes, Mrs. Abrams,” the female deputy told Estelle/

She was shown in to a secure attorney/client comferece room.

“Sit down, Mrs. Abrams. You have been stirring up a lot of trail dust since you have been here. The desk sergeant told me to be careful. So tell me about these charges they have against you.”

“They’re not true, David, none of them. They even have my name mixed up. My real name is Brenda Fox, not Estelle Anrams. They also said I burglarized someone’s home or apartment. None og these charges are true; not the sexual abuse and certainly not the burglary.”

“Mrs. Abrams, the evidence will be the deciding issue. It will tell the jury whether or not these charges are true. Do you really want. I think they have me mixed up with someone else.”

“Mrs. Abrams, you are also on a felony hold from the Maricopa County, Arizona sheriff. These charges that they have you charged with are going to be on felony holds by our district attorney. We go to court tomorrow morning. This is the extradition hearing. I am told by the district attorney that there will be two Maricopa county deputies to give their testimony, plus they will have a picture of their suspect. Court is in the morning.”

David Banks closed his brief case and left. Estelle, aka, Brenda, was escorted back to her cell block. On the way back to her cell, she was thinking that David Banks was no help at all. When she got back to her cell, three women came up to her.

“So, what’d your lawyer say?” A tall brunette asked Estelle.

“My lawyer thinks that I have no case. He said my extradition hearing is tomorrow morning. This is to see whether I go back to Arizona, maybe.”

“Did you ever live in Arizona?”

“Yes, for about ten years. I lived in Tempe, a suburb of Phoenix.”

“What kind of work did you do in Tempe?”

“I was personal secretary to the president of a large corporation.”

“Well, the experience helped me set up my own company. I called it Amalgamated Industries, Inc.”

“We have heard of that company even here in the jail. The Times has printed many things about Amalgamated Industries, Inc.”

“I never read newspapers. They are owned by political backers, and they print whatever they want, just to sensationalize what they want their readers to see. I also, do not watch the news on television because most of the truth is edited out. Whatever they said about my company, you can bet are nothing but lies.”

Well, whatever. We’re not going to argue with you. By the way, my name is Joan,” said the taller of the three.”This is Mary, and Rainbow. Rainbow is her actual name. If you do get back to Arizona, how much time are you facing?” Joan asked Estelle.

“I have no idea. I have never done anything legally wrong. I guess I will find out in court. My lawyer said that there will be two Maricopa county, Arizona deputy sheriffs coming for my hearing tomorrow and they are supposed to have a picture of the person they are looking for.”

“But, what if they have your picture?” Joan asked.

“Why should they have my picture? I have never been arrested anywhere, except here. If they do I have my picture, I am going to want to know where and how they got it.”

“Well,” Joan started saying. “We wish you a lot of luck tomorrow. Let us all hope they have the wrong picture.”

With that, Joan, Mary and Rainbow left.
_____________________________________________________________
Next Chapter: What will happen to Brenda Fox, aka, Estelle Abrams? Will she be extradited. Find out in the necy contuing story of A Change Of Pace.

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I was quite surprised

When I first began reading this I thought, "Oh another one of those, boss turns male underling into a shemale/crossdresser/transvestite/name your poison." Not to throw off on stories like that but there are a lot of them.

I was quite surprised at how quickly this story did a 90 degree twisting convoluted turn away from the standard plot it originally seemed to have. Great job so far!

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Absolutely the way it is done

Absolutely the way it is done, after the real name of a person is found, it will be the one to be used in all jail and normally all other legal proceedings, including in court. As much as people hate to admit it, fingerprints also don't lie. The idea that fingerprints can be erased simply overlooks the fact that however the "erasing" was done, what is left is a person's "new fingerprints". About the only way a person can truly lose their fingerprints is that they lose all their digits. Then that lose becomes the identifying items.
Ms Fox has put herself into a really "trickbag" and it is very rapidly being closed around her.

Ms. Fox

Samantha Heart's picture

I don't think is going to be too happy in court. I have a feeling they have her dead to rights

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

sigh

I've never complained about it before, but your story had a lot of typos, mixed up words, and other errors which detracted from the story for me. After 20 I stopped counting.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was an interesting story, just the simple things, such as keeping her name spelled correctly consistently, or the use of an ' in a name, like Denny's made it hard to follow in a few spots.

I wonder what information the 2 from Arizona are going to bring with them, and how this will derail her plans to grow her company. =]

Sara

The worm turns?

Jamie Lee's picture

Me thinks she complains too much, and also misrepresented herself to Donald during the interview.

There are two possibilities in this chapter: Brenda Fox IS her real name or it isn't. But there's another possibility and that she's being set up by someone in Arizona, someone who didn't want her to leave Arizona. Someone she might have cheated or someone who wanted more from her than she wanted to give. Or an ex who can't wait to get his hands on her.

One thing is absolutely true in that business, making a male secretary present as a woman to keep the job is really fishy. As is being ordered to attend a party dressed as a provocative woman.

Some jobs require a 24/7 availability, but not for secretaries. When a secretary leaves for the day they are on their own time, to do as they please. They can be invited to a company party but they can't be compelled to attend.

It will be interesting to see what the actual is with Brenda Fox.

Others have feelings too.