Tammy:Deathtrap - Part 2 "Careers Advice"

Printer-friendly version
 Deathtrap  

Part
 
Two

 

"Careers Advice"

 

 
Sunday 30th October 2016
 

"Where did you get to yesterday, Tammy?"

"I was called to a meeting, Angela, and stayed for lunch."

"But you weren't at dinner, either?"

"It took some time, so I was invited to stay for the evening. I got back around 10."

"I knew you were at Cathy's, is this more of that spook stuff?"

"You know I can't say anything."

"Ah, so it is - but I thought you had finished all that spy business until your course is over?"

"It's not as simple as that, I'm still technically employed."

"It's never simple with you, is it? Why can't you have a normal life?"

"We don't always choose our own paths, Angela."

"I suppose so. How do you think I feel, having two sisters as spooks and I can't know anything about it?"

"Look, what did we say about you becoming a target if you knew too much? It's best for your health if you can honestly say you don't know what's going on, if there is anything going on! I mean, do I look ready for a clandestine job?"

"Not in those PJs, no!"

"I need a shower, shoo!"

---

Tammy found herself in the pool over at Cathy's house shortly before eleven, joined by Daisy and Florence. Dave Brown had turned down a suggestion that he joined them in the water, citing more important business.

"How's school, Flo?"

"Busy, I'm in the sixth form now."

"Which A Levels are you taking?"

"English Lit, Maths, History and Art."

"Do you have time for all of those?"

"We're compressing the English Lit into one year."

"How are you doing Daisy?"

"Fine."

"Just 'fine'?"

"Yes."

Tammy decided not to take the conversation any further so started to climb out of the pool. The girls followed Tammy to the showers a minute later, just as Tammy was finishing. Upstairs she caught Dave Brown coming back into the house, he pointed towards the conservatory. "Cathy's in there. I'll join you in a minute or two."

Cathy was sat by herself, reading the Sunday paper.

"How was your swim?"

"Short, what's up with Daisy?"

"One of the new teachers dislikes having a girl in the class, and she's still a temporary student. I've spoken to the Head but nothing is being done about it, yet. Unfortunately she suffers with PMS so the last few days have been difficult. She'll be over that by tomorrow, but it doesn't fix the school issue."

"Oh, I didn't see her yesterday, apart from dinner, and I didn't get a chance to talk to either of them."

"Daisy has a pile of homework and has morning lessons all next week, Flo is excused classes all week, although she also has a pile of work."

"Oh, she won't like that one bit."

"She doesn't."

"Is there anything you can do?"

"I've spoken to Mike Thompson and he's supervised one of the lessons, he said, but of course nothing happened."

"Which subject?"

"English Language. She takes that GCSE at the end of this school year, all the rest of the exams are a year later."

"Extra pressure then?"

"Yes. I wonder if you wouldn't mind helping out?"

"How?"

"Can you see the Head tomorrow morning? I believe you'll be welcomed at breakfast? Perhaps even sit on on Daisy's English class?"

"Do I get the feeling that I've been stitched up?"

"Not at all, Tammy." Dave added as he walked into the conservatory. "It was my suggestion as the English teacher is Carl Templeton."

"Oh."

"I take it, Tammy, that you know him?"

"No, Cathy, I don't, but I've ..... I've just remembered that I should get home."

She was home shortly after twelve, her father beckoned Tammy into the study.

"Dave Brown came over and asked to use the study."

"I have a feeling it's connected to what I was just given."

"Such as?"

"I've been asked to have breakfast at the school tomorrow, then meet with the Head."

"Mike sent me a text fifteen minutes ago, said he'd contact you directly."

"He won't have my current mobile number."

"Well, your invitation is there, what's this about?"

"I'm not sure."

"Or can't you say?"

"There's an element of that, but I really don't think it's a good idea - Dave thinks otherwise."

"Is there a threat?"

"No, not to me or to the school."

"Is there potentially a threat?"

"Potentially everything and everyone is a threat, however unlikely that may be."

"So this isn't something that the Chair of Governors needs to be aware of?"

"No, Dad, you don't."

Once lunch was out of the way, Tammy went to her room and fired up her official laptop. She used the research tools to search for Carl Templeton, as well as Donald Templeton:

Donald Peter Templeton born 28.01.1968 Dundee. Parents Samuel & Christine Templeton
Carl Andrew Templeton born 14.02.1979 Dundee. Parents Samuel & Olga Templeton

So, Tammy realised, they were half-brothers. She tried to find Olga, or even a marriage certificate, but drew a blank. A search on the electoral database gave the same address in Thurso for them, but a year earlier they were both in Aberdeen.

She copied all of her research and added a summary of her conversation with Dave Brown then saved it to her own secure drive. An edited version went to Jenny, asking for advice, her official phone rang barely five minutes later.

"I really think it's a bad idea for you to become involved with this school aspect, Tammy."

"I have a horrible feeling about it, Jenny, Carl would no doubt tell his brother that I'd been in his class."

"Indeed, but I'm not stopping you from going into the school tomorrow - you are, after all, a former student."

"And a School Ambassador."

"So maybe you could sit in on Maths, or History?"

"And maybe Dave sits in on the English lessons? He is an old boy of the school as well."

"Indeed. It's a shame we don't have any other resources in Thurso at the moment."

"What about their mothers? Who is Olga and where did they marry?"

"I'll ask Suzie to find this out tomorrow, this is good work so far."

"Thanks Jenny."

Tammy shut everything down and locked it all securely away; her mum hadn't been keen on Tammy's espionage activities and assumed, incorrectly, that the sabbatical wouldn't be punctuated with danger or clandestine activities. The recent arrival of Colonel Sean MacTaggart, of the SAS, had been a low key affair but matters had been brought to a head before that when Martin Gore had held Joan and Richard hostage.

At that time, Richard had revealed Joan had a stock of sleeping pills because of their daughter's work. The pills hadn't been mentioned since Tammy decided to stay in Thurso but her mum certainly had a better outlook on life; anything Tammy did now would have to be well under the radar.

Of Tammy's natural mother, Tara, nothing had been heard since a birthday card had arrived in September, late. They didn't have a current address for Tara nor a mobile number, not that it bothered the Smarts.

 
Monday 31st October 2016
 

"Good morning everyone, we have two guests with us today who are former students at St Andrews. They will be available for informal careers advice and may join the lower years for some lessons. I'd like you to give a warm St Andrews welcome to Miss Tamara Smart and Mr David Brown."

There was muted applause, followed by some whispering from the year nine tables, the youngest who would have known of Tammy's transition. The prefects were immediately giving the miscreants some firm advice.

Tammy and Dave were sat on the Head's table, which was a little higher than the other tables, affording a good view of the dining room. Dave was already engrossed in conversation with Mike Thompson, the new Head, as the pair had attended St Andrews as boys. Tammy nodded to a few of the staff who remembered her but there were many new faces.

Dave and Tammy followed the Head to his study, collecting Richard on the way.

"My apologies, Tammy, I felt it was sensible to involve your father. I called him just before breakfast."

"Hardly unexpected, Sir."

"Please, you can call me Mike in here. Now, what exactly is the issue here?"

Dave gave the briefing. "Whilst various agencies were investigating an unrelated matter, a link to one of your teaching staff came up. It could well be nothing, but between Tammy and myself we'll sit in on a few lessons, with your permission of course, and make ourselves available."

"Nothing else?"

"No, Mike, if anything else this will just enable the teacher to be eliminated from enquiries, without any disruption to the school or even the teacher being aware."

"If I wasn't aware of your backgrounds, I would imagine this was a ruse. Now, which teacher is it?"

"Sorry, Mike, you don't need to know and it's better that you don't."

"Plausible deniability?"

"Exactly."

"Well, assembly starts in a few minutes so can you work out where you'd like to go for periods one and and two so I can inform the teachers?"

"Tammy will take Year Nine Maths, followed by Year Eight History, I'll take Year Eight Maths and Year Ten English. We'll decide at morning break where to go next."

Mike Thompson noted their schedule. "I'll pass that onto the relevant tutors."

There was a knock at the door and the school's secretary, Janet Adams, arrived with a tray of drinks.

"Ah, Janet, Tammy and Dave will be visiting these classes for periods 1 & 2, can you inform the staff room?"

"Of course."

Tammy was carrying both of her phones and, once the Head had left, checked the handsets. Suzie had sent a secure text:

Jenny's passed your report to me, will let you know when I have something.

Janet returned a minute later. "I've let everyone know, apparently one or two of the new staff think this is an assessment."

Dave snorted.

"Err, Janet, it's nothing of the sort!"

"I know, Tammy, I did point out that neither of you worked for Education Scotland."

"Thanks."

"So why are you really here?"

Richard glared at the secretary and then at his daughter. "Mrs Adams, as far as I'm aware they are here to offer careers advice."

"Of course, Mr Smart."

-----

"That was interesting, how about you Dave?"

"Some searching questions, Tammy. Mike, have you had any feedback?"

The Head nodded, "quite positive, we need to stir the interests of the boys so they focus on what they will do after school. Will you stay for the rest of the morning?"

Tammy and Dave agreed and worked out another set of classes to attend, trying to ensure that no tutor was seen twice.

-----

Tammy and Dave Brown took lunch back at Cathy's house before retiring to the study.

"I'd call that a success, Tammy."

"In terms of furthering their education and career choices?"

"Yes."

"What about Carl Templeton?"

"He's not really a very good tutor, despite his first in English at Dundee. I'm certainly going to mention that to Mike, discretely of course."

"Naturally, anything else?"

"No, apart from his clear dislike of Daisy."

"So Cathy's concerns are real?"

"Yes."

"Can we draw any other conclusions?"

"No. I suggest you go home and write up your report for Jenny. I'm catching next teatime train South, I'll be in London tomorrow morning."

Tammy drove home, using the interconnecting gate. Her phone had received a message, which she'd noticed when she used the loo before leaving the school.

Check email

A few minutes later her laptop was booting, she was in her bathroom freshening up when Angela walked into Tammy's room.

"What's that?"

Unfortunately the secure box had been left open and although her weapons were not immediately visible, it clearly didn't normally belong in a wardrobe. Tammy knocked the lid down.

"Well?"

"It's my safe."

"I hadn't noticed it before."

"That was the idea."

"Oh, does Mum know?"

"Yes, they both know its here but Dad wouldn't go through my dresses!"

"They wouldn't fit him!"

Angela now saw the laptop on Tammy's desk. The corporate login screen was active, although it didn't state a company, or agency, name.

"Is that new?"

"I'm sorry Angela, but remember what I said yesterday?"

"Yeah, but are you a spook or are you a student?"

"I'm a student, that's all you need to know. However, I need to do a little work for the people who have left a job open for me."

Angela reluctantly left the room, leaving it ajar. Tammy huffed as she walked to the door to push it closed, then turned the key.

There were two emails from Suzie.

From: Suzie Smart
Sent: 31-Oct-2016 11:15
Subject: Prison visits
 
Tammy,
 
Donald has visited Martin Gore in prison several times. Jenny is aware.
 
Suzie

 
 

From: Suzie Smart
Sent: 31-Oct-2016 11:45
Subject: Templeton family
 
Tammy,
 
Samuel Templeton & Christine McBride married 27.11.1967 in Dundee. Donald was born the following January.
 
Christine died of cancer in 1973, Samuel took a job in Murmansk on oil exploration, employed Olga as child minder, they married in 1978 in Murmansk and registered it at the British Embassy in Moscow after Carl was born.
 
Olga's full name is Olga Nikolaeva born 01.04.1959 Murmansk.
 
The family relocated to the UK 1984 but Olga wasn't allowed to leave until 1985, they settled back in Dundee. Carl settled down quickly at primary school but Donald only had Russian qualifications so had to redo English & Maths at the local college. He joined a political group at college and came to Special Branch's attention but, he was never considered a threat.
 
Samuel and Olga have retired back to Murmansk, Carl has joint nationality and visits several times a year, there's no record of Donald flying in the past five years.
 
Suzie

Tammy digested this new information but it didn't really tell her a great deal about the Templeton half-brothers. She wrote up her experiences from the day and submitted it, anything else could wait until tomorrow.

She'd put everything away when there was a knock on her door.

"Are you decent?"

"Yes Dad." Tammy reached the door and unlocked it.

"The Head's really pleased with today, even though he feels he was being used."

"So long as the boys, and Daisy, got something from it?"

"They did, it's prompted questions to tutors, and to your mum."

"Oh?"

"A few boys asked about going into welfare careers and she was the obvious source of information."

"She did know what I was doing there, didn't she?"

"Yes, but not why."

"Well, perhaps Mike would like me to repeat it later in the year, without a second agenda?"

"That would be good, but ideally we need to vary those who give the careers advice. Mike would like you to compose a message to former students in your role as school ambassador. Janet will actually send it out."

"I'd like to include John, if he's available?"

"Best contact him at work, Tanya might not appreciate any intrusion at home."

"Fair enough, how is she?"

"Insecure."

"When's the baby due?"

"Apparently in the middle of March, your mum knows the details."

"Okay, maybe Tanya will have better luck this time?"

"Indeed."

up
426 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Finally first post

*Stealthily sneaks up and smashes the kudos button*

Another great chapter can’t wait to find out what’s really going on

sniffing the edges

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Tammy is sniffing the edges and knows something is rotten. I'll paraphase: These Templeton chaps bear closer scrutiny.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Carelessness?

With offended and perhaps jealous folk around her, perhaps Tammy needs to be a bit more OC about locked doors and secure cabinets? Anyone who knows anything will eventually blab it on to others and eventually those whose interests are less than wholesome perhaps.

Nice episode.

Gwen

Angela gets way too snoopy

Angela gets way too snoopy and curious for my liking. She just may, without realizing it, because she is always talking to those around her about things that are not her concern; give pieces of information out regarding Tammy or even others she interacts with, and may wind up creating a true incident within the spay agency and employees and even the higherup

Yes she is.

WillowD's picture

Early on in the series she kept broadcasting valuable intelligence to social media despite having been told over and over to not do so. Eventually people to kidnap her. I get the impression she learned nothing from this.

Murmansk? Oil?

You are joking. Yes? Oil is Surgut of Tyumen. Murmansk is just a port city. And in the 80th no one thought to drill sea floor in the Arctic ocean. And Murmansk was used as one of the bases for "land lease" supply of aircraft and weapons during WWII. But even now, when there are oil and gas rigs over Arctic ocean, Murmansk has almost nothing to do with them.
If "Olga"'s full name is "Olga Nikolayeva" - she is a badly inserted British or American spy, with the "legend" fumbled together by some intern grown on official anticommunist propaganda.
Could you please abandon Russian spies/mafia and use... I don't know... Mianmar mafia? At least, I have no idea what Mianmar names are like. And yes I know, even the staple of this site was not immune to the official propaganda and had Russians hunt a britisn citizens in UK.
But, once again. For Russian mafia - UK is a safe haven. They are extremely law abiding people while in the UK. They like to have their children in British schools and no other Russian mafiozo will hurt rival mafiozo child while they are in British school. UK is a kind of neutral ground for Russians. A place where people who tried to kill each other in Russia are the best friends. That is why murder of Litvinenko and death of Berezovsky are so disturbing for Russians.
I love your writing style. I love the story... But Russians? Spying on Scotland? Give us some credit!

The Russian angle

I agree with you that "Russian/Soviet spies/mafia" under every rug are silly.
And all the grammar mistakes in Slavic names are jarring.
But I just sigh and move along to enjoy the story ...

The thing is...

There is Russian mafia. But it avoids any law infractions in UK, Germany or Spain.
Grammar mistakes are jarring, but only if you consider one ot two Slavic nations. You know, that Uroda, which is a beauty in Polish, is funny for Russians as Urod is "ugly as sin" in Russian. But checkh, or Bulgarian language sounds quite OK for Russian ear.

Retire To Murmansk?

joannebarbarella's picture

They have to be joking! Might as well retire to Siberia. Either that or they are first-class masochists.

I do not find the "Oil Exploration" executive so unlikely as an oil company has to have a local HQ and Murmansk is the only European Russian port that is ice-free the year round.

Donald Templeton definitely has dodgy connections with Martin Gore, but, as for his brother it would be much better if the school let him go because he's a poor teacher.

Some people like the noon sun, some like the midnight sun ...

God takes all kinds - some people retire to Mallorca, some to Murmansk ... :)
Look at the piccie to see the summer attractions of the area*:
piccie
Oil exploration is NOT implausible - it is the 1980s part which is. A British oil company with an office in Murmansk in the 1980s is ASB territory. Such a thing would only be possible from the mid 90s - maybe even only from the naughts - onwards.
PS: * - area as in "European Russian Arctic", and not the vicinity of Murmansk itself.

Bond, Tamara Bond

My5InchFMHeels's picture

There is no way Tammy can fly under the radar anymore. No way for her to be a James Bond type of intelligence personnel. She's actually closer to a Tammy Earp, or Tammy Bourne. That being said, Angela should know by now, seeing something questionable, she should just back out of the room, and forget what she saw (Tammy's safe).

I also get the feeling, she's still not getting full debriefings. Anyone in contact with Gore, that has any connection to Tammy, should be brought to Tammy's full attention.

As for the younger Templeton, with Dave's assessment, he should be put on administrative notice, with his treatment of Daisy.

Look at Elsie

WillowD's picture

She had retired decades ago and yet during her final weeks she still had awesome connections to the intelligence community.

Too long of a nose

Jamie Lee's picture

Angela doesn't seem to understand how serious it is not to know anything about Tammy's work. She's acting more like the little sister that thinks she has to know everything that is going on.

Angela doesn't realize that she could put a lot of people in danger should she open her mouth to show off at the wrong time. And she won't understand until someone gets hurt and it was shown that her talking at the wrong moment being the cause.

What is the reason Daisy's English tutor doesn't like her in the class? Is it Daisy specifically or because of her gender? His attitude toward could be used to help him find another position somewhere else.

Having to pull bits and pieces together to end up with a conclusion has to be maddening. Right know Tammy has a few pieces but no mold to place them in. Hopefully they get all the pieces placed before it hits the fan.

Others have feelings too.