Branded Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

be1567576c5a0da4e170b79c567c8c95--male-angels-fine-art-photography_0.jpg

Branded Chapter 2

Brand:

You're probably sick of me apologizing, but sorry this is short.

I snapped out of the dreamstate, and fled Faith’s room.

I flew out of Poe, with my brain churning a thousand miles an hour, my emotions a jumbled mess.

I didn’t slow down until I was nearing the small park in the middle of the campus.

It’s called the Grove, and its ... magic.

Fey magic.

Ancient, raw, and connected to the Earth in a way my magic cannot be.

And dangerous.

I flew into the Grove. I honestly couldnt tell you what I was looking for.

Comfort?

Judgement?

Both?

Whatever it was, I went to the center of the Grove where a large tree grew, and sat in front of it, waiting.

I didn’t have to wait long. A group of pixies approached me, and soon had me encircled.

I stayed very still, even when one came right up to my foot with a spear in her hand.

“Who are you, and what do you want here? Tell me true!” she said, and pushed the spear into my foot like a bee stinging.

And I did as she asked. I told her of being born a girl, being raped, and turning into a mutant boy who had a connection to an ancient race of warriors called the hawk lords. I told her of being possessed by Vendetta, and the awful things I did under its influence.

And I told her of Faith.

How she saved me, forgave me, flew with me.

And how much I needed her, and feared that need.

And then I wept.

The lead pixie said, “You do not represent a danger to the Grove. At least not on this day.”

With that, they all flew away, leaving me alone again.

All was silence.

The feeling I got from the Grove was a patient waiting state. It (she? I got a bit of a sense of femininity all around me) wasn’t going to make me leave or punish me, but it wasnt going to comfort me either.

Despite this, the quiet around me did calm my mind to a degree.

I decided I wanted to burn off a little energy, so I headed for where martial arts classes were held.

I hadnt expected to find anybody there, but instead there was a girl, practicing with a pair of what looked like Native American tomahawks.

I landed quietly and watched her work. Like Faith, who could make her staff practically sing, the girl was doing something that was as much a dance as it was practicing self defence. Mind you, I still wouldnt have wanted to try and fight her, even if I still had a sword ...

Then she stopped, and looked right at me, as if she had known I was there all along.

“When my spirit told me a powerful being was approaching, I wasnt expecting a boy. What do you want?” She asked.

I started babbling. I found myself telling this complete stranger everything that happened to me. I couldnt stop myself, and realized that whatever the pixies had done to me was still active.

By the time I managed to stop talking, her expression had softened. “I have a friend who went through something similar to you. So maybe what I told him will be helpful for you as well. My people, the Lakota, have a specific idea about crime and punishment. The Lakota view is that once punishment is over, it's as if the crime never happened. If you have atoned, and were possessed at the time, then it's as if the bad stuff never happened, because YOU didn't do it. You’re punishing yourself, looking for someone to punish you, but you weren’t even in control. But it’s over now. You’ve been punished. So now it's time to move forward.”

Maybe the magic the pixies used both ways, because I could feel the truth of what she was saying. I nodded, and then was about to turn away, when she added, “One more thing. My spirit could feel your hollow, the spot where this Vendetta was. You need to fill it, and soon. If you don’t you will attract the worst possible spirits looking for a home.”

“I thought I already had to deal with the worst possible spirit.” I replied.

She shuddered as she spoke and said, “Trust me, there are far worse.”

Again, I felt the truth of what she was saying, so I replied, “Okay, I’ll go to the magic building, maybe they can help me find a good spirit to bond with.”

“Good luck.” She said.

“Thank you,” I said, and took to the skies again.

I landed in front of the magic building, and went in. No sooner was I inside, then one of the teachers came up to me, and said, “Brand! You came! Did Faith get a hold of you?”

“No, she didn’t. I was in the Grove, then talking to another student, then I came here. What’s going on?” i replied, perplexed.

“The school just received a mystical message. It’s about you, and you taking a three-headed dog. Brand, I think you’re going to have to have a conversation ... with Hades, himself.”

I stuttered out a “Oh boy,” just before everything went black ...

To be continued ...

up
135 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ahhhh

Cliff Hangers! Is Hades a Goo or the Greek mythical?

alissa

Ok.... No More AWOL authors!!!!!!

Sorry; Dorothy but your the unlucky Authoress to receive my wraith....Time You all sit down at your computers and get to writing additional chapters on all these stories You all seem to enjoy leaving us half way over the cliff..
No mas' Get hot get writing.. all of yous.. or else !!!

alissa