When among Dragons... Chapter 3 A new family

Printer-friendly version

When among Dragons... Chapter 3 A new family

by Machara and Chryos Stormwing

Special thanks to
my love Chryos who creates this with me,
Gabe as my editor and friend
as well as Sammi for ideas

Marian stepped forward, to take Garrus’ hand, smiled and shook it. It was a reassuring handshake, while not strong or uncomfortable, not exactly soft either.
“I've heard quite some things about you from Hera and look forward to getting to know you.”
She stepped back, her eyes remaining on Garrus, mustering.

For a few seconds, everyone remained standing. Drew seemed a bit nervous as he glanced over from Hera to Garrus, and remained there, looking up. Seemingly coming to a decision, he took a noticeable step forward, first shaking Hera’s hand briefly, giving a simple "Hi" with a smile. Then he turned to Garrus and looked up at him again. He held out his hand but waited uncertainly for a moment, forcing Garrus to take his hand to shake it.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, Garrus shook Marian’s hand, nodding and smiling carefully. Over the past few days, he had slowly lost his reservations towards that spectre of her that he had in his mind. Now that he did get to know her, he was slowly thawing.

“Hoping to live up to it.”

He raised his eyebrows.

“… unless the things you heard weren't good ones.”

"So… half-brothers? I'm still reeling somewhat from this… and other…”

Drew glanced towards Hera for a moment.

“… revelations. Maybe we have some stuff in common to share some time… I've always wanted a sibling."

Garrus responded.

“Pleased to meet you, Drew. I'm grateful for the opportunity to get to know you. Maybe Hera already knows more, but unfortunately, apart from you being my half…brother, I learned very little about you from her. How about we let our two … mothers get reacquainted and, after I’ve brought in the suitcases, we can also have a chat.”

Marian continued the conversation.

"Your mother thinks highly of you, Garrus, and I think they are well founded. I hope what little I know about your … bad luck has run its course. Let me grab one of your cases, Hera, and maybe Drew can take one from Garrus. I have missed your mother, and some catching up time with her is appreciated."

She took one of her cases, took Hera by her arm and turned towards the exit, leaving Garrus and Drew to themselves.

Watching both women take the lead, Drew turned to Garrus.

“You sure packed quite a bit. Let me take that one…”

He pointed to the biggest, took it, and then waited for Garrus to follow up and then turned after their mothers.

Taking two of the smaller cases himself, Garrus followed them. Unfamiliar with the place, he took his time, letting it all sink in a bit while he helped with the hauling.

“Sure, we've packed quite a bit; as far as I know, we're not going back anytime soon.”

Before exiting the Airport, the two men found themselves entering a cozy little Café that seemed somewhat out of place there. Their mothers had already taken a seat on two barstools, ordering. Finding no place at the bar, they sat on a wall bench behind a small round table. While it was a nice place to sit, finding a place for all the suitcases proved difficult.

After having settled and watching the two women for a few moments, Drew turned to Garrus and cautiously and silently asked

"Have you known about your mother… you know? The way they behave, they seem so relaxed and happy… almost like it's nothing new to them."

Garrus listened to Drew as he spoke.

“Uhm… what is nothing new to them?”

The remark seemed curious to him. He watched Drew intently after having set down a set of cases, waiting for him to respond.

Drew chuckled.

"You know… being in a relationship with a girl. It feels right somehow when I watch them. My…. our father… I could never really warm up to him. Well, not since around when we moved to Vancouver. Not that he was unfriendly or bad… just distant. Mom told me that when they met he was different. But over the years something changed, albeit slowly. And he was away more often than he was there. The love she must have felt for him must have cooled down, and it showed.”

Garrus remembered his childhood and smiled.

“I think I know what mom meant. He really was different. I remember an affectionate father that smiled and joked. He played and spent time with me. Sure, he was almost always never there, but it was enough. Now, this…”

He nodded to the two figures in front of them, now holding hands.

“… feels warm.
I… am surprised, actually, even though she did mention once or twice that she has been in a relationship with a girl before."

Nodding slowly with curiosity, Garrus glanced at their two mothers for a moment before returning to Drew.

“You're very observant. We'll have to see how their relationship develops. Given time, all of them cool down somewhat. In some areas. I’m willing to give the two of them a chance now anyway.”

He hummed in thought.

“… The relationship itself though… as in… women together, that's hardly noteworthy don't you think? I mean… don't get me wrong, I’m happy for them, but it's far from out of the ordinary, right?
What about you though?”

He raised his eyebrows in curiosity.

Drew deadpanned.

"Out of the ordinary, no. Well, not really. If I were to see a gay or lesbian couple in public I’d probably just give them a curious glance and maybe smile. It makes a difference to me, however, if it’s family and I’m incorporating this new trait into how I see them. There WAS a 'but' in your sentence, though. I hope you mean ‘giving them a chance’ similar to how I feel about it. It may be a bit quick for them… for Hera to move here… and I hope that they know each other well enough to be sure it will work. That’s about the only ‘but’ I feel about it.
What about me?"

Garrus reciprocated.

“Of course. It all being brought about so … abruptly? That's bound to throw up some dust. We'll have to see when it settles how much it was and what might need dusting.”

A twinkle formed in his eyes.

“About you? Well… Do you have a special someone in your life? I don't mean to intrude or anything, if you're not comfortable talking about it, that's alright as well. Just trying to get to know you…”

Having really settled and feeling more comfortable on the bench now, Garrus took yet another moment to look around, still not quite grasping the concept of having moved here, apparently.

After having stretched his arms on the couch and looking into Garrus eyes, Drew responded.

"I don't currently have a significant other in my life. During high school, I briefly had two short relationships… a girl in the same class and a boy one class above me. They never worked out.

How about you?"

Chuckling to himself about the info he’d given him, Garrus played around with it in his mind and thought about the answer for a moment, murmuring somewhat.

“Nothing during my school years. Two years ago, I got together with that woman… no use in telling you much about her, other than it too didn't work out in the end. I’m afraid the experience might have left me a bit bitter… or at least wary towards women. Though I suppose I should work on myself to remedy that. You don't sound worse for the experience though… so the time in those relationships did have its good moments I suppose?”

Drew laughed.

“It did have its perks while it lasted. It was not really me who ended them… both were experimenting and found other… more interesting people to… hook up with, and I guess I should have known they did not enter in the relationship with the intention of keeping it through the years. But I was different. I always wanted something stable. I guess those two tries… left me feeling somewhat empty. And more cautious. Maybe that's why I've been single for two years now.

But I guess there is no sense in pondering too much about it, it will just get you down. I try to focus on other stuff… and hope I meet Mr. or Mrs. right someday.”

“Ah well…”

Garrus decided to pat Drew gently on the shoulder.

“Best of luck with that. Who knows, maybe we both will get lucky someday.”

He raised one eyebrow suggestively.

In the meantime, a waiter had looked after the two and had returned with two cups of coffee. Garrus still stirred his, having put two packets of sugar in. Drew had only used one and taken a sip contentedly.

“What do you do, anyway? And why did you choose to join your mother?”

Sighing and thinking again for a moment he then decided to tell Drew the whole story. How he got his job at that police station, worked through his apprenticeship and found a girlfriend, only to lose her a year later when she went crazy and tried to play him for a rapist. In the end, he added a short review over the last few weeks. How he’d talked with his mother and decided to accept her invitation to move here with her, including the reasons that he wouldn't have any prospects back ‘home’.

Drew looked sadly up at him, at one time laying a hand on his knee without conscious thought, just to take it back right away with embarrassment showing on his face, and continued to listen to his tale. When Garrus had finished, Drew hugged him closely. After he released the embrace, Garrus saw anger on his face.

“Of all this…”

He raised a hand, wavering helplessly into the air.

“… I think you seem to have had the worst luck.
But maybe we can turn that around.”

Smiling, he looked Garrus right in the eyes.

Feeling a certain amount of attraction towards him at this moment, Garrus couldn’t help himself and hugged him right back. A moment later, including a deep sigh, he drew back once more, looking a bit awkward.

“Sorry… Umm… That… helped. You seem genuinely nice. Thank you for … letting me talk about it?”

He paused.

“A turnaround would be wonderful.” Garrus said, smiling.

“Anytime…”

He hesitated, then laughed.

“I would have said ‘bro’, but I hate that kind of language…”

Drew thought of continuing that conversation but decided he needed some more coffee, so they continued sipping it in silence. After a short while just sitting there and talking about the flight, Marian and Hera were finished and they paid. Together they walked to the car, a comfortable looking newish minivan, and drove home. Drew gave the odd comment about the city and what they saw while Garrus and Hera just watched. Finally, they were nearing their destination and Drew spoke up.

“I think we'll be there in another minute. How about I show you your room and help unpack?”

They arrived and all stepped out of the car. Marian unlocked and opened the door, welcoming all into the House. She showed them around the house, mostly for Garrus’ benefit. It was a mid-sized two-story house with a short driveway and lawn and a slightly bigger garden in the back. The car was parked in a kind of open garage where the roof was part of the upper floor. It was open on two sides, the other two being the walls of the house, with a side door leading to a storage and tool-room. The kitchen and a well-sized living room made up most of the ground floor, besides a toilet and the mentioned storage room. The upper floor was made up of three bedrooms and a bathroom. The living room had a door that led out to a terrace sheltered by a wood and glass veranda on the backside of the house, overlooking the garden.

Marian continued. “I can show you more, later, but I’d like to unpack first. Drew, can you please assist Garrus?”

The two women left for the garage, leaving Drew and Garrus in the living room. Drew picked up the conversation that he felt they had left in the Café.

“What should I call you, anyway?
Brother? seems strange and long… Garrus? Or do you have some other nickname?

Hey… now that I think about it… I'm delighted your English is so good. I had feared language might have caused a barrier between us…”

Drew pulled his stuff after him as he proceeded to lead Garrus through the house and towards the stairs.

“Wow, this place isn't half bad. Sorry, just rambling… it's just… I’m used to about 60 square meters for two.”

Together they carried some of the suitcases up the stairs and Drew showed Garrus into the room that would be his own from then on.

“Oh, me? Just plain and simple Garrus. I doubt you'd like the nicknames I had at work very much. 'Argus' for one, or… Eagle-Eye. though not for precise shooting.

He mumbled in thought.

“… Although I did win a competition about three months before I was terminated - it was rather due to tackling a VIP I was scheduled to protect because I thought there was someone lurking behind a trash can. It turned out it was just another trash bag. Eagle-eye. It's ironic. Except when it isn't.”

He grimaced at the memory.

Drew looked curiously amused but was confused.

“Does a trash can really need eagle eyes to be noticed?” He winked suggestively. “What's a competition got to do with protecting some VIP, anyway?”

“Given the lighting conditions back there, I think you would require eagle eyes - like mine - for that feat.”

Sticking out the tongue for a second Garrus was quick to respond Drew's question, though.

“Oh, no. They were two separate occasions. One was a shooting contest where I won first prize, the other was a... uh... mission? where we had to protect some locally well-known figurehead who later that day had given a speech about... oh... I don't remember. Something terribly important, I’m sure.”

Garrus chuckled and turned the original question around.

“You got any nicknames for yourself, Drew? Besides cute…”

He stuck his tongue out with a grin.

“’Eagle Eye’ does not sound so bad! … - hey, I swear I won't use it.”

As Garrus’ cute comment sunk in, he blushed. He tried to hide it by turning his head to the side, but failed.

“Are you one of those I can add to my list that thinks ‘Drew, the girl'?”

Garrus blinked after having once more put down the suitcases in his new room.

“I … beg your pardon? Drew? The girl? I would certainly say you do have … feminine qualities about you, but not that I would hold that against you in any way.”

Half-chuckling, half-laughing he shook his head, patting Drew on the back gently.

“Don't worry. I'll give more than ample warning, should my feelings for you get awkward in any way.”

Drew laughed at first, then turned and saw the look on Garrus’face. He stopped for a few moments, and then put on a devilish grin.

“Does it take two to make it awkward?”

Not sure he wanted to hear the answer, he changed the subject.

“Anyway. Your room still seems a bit sparse. How about I show you the area, and we get some things to make it livelier and pick up some groceries for dinner? It seems a nice day for a barbeque, but I have to ask our moms about that.
What do you think?”

Garrus looked in surprise and then smiled.

“Barbeque… that's a wonderful idea.”

Not quite sure how he should take Drew’s first comment, he decided to let it sit for now and rather wanted to see how it played out. He wondered if that was an admission of feeling attraction.

“Right. I’ve heard a bit about Canadian cuisine. Is this gonna be an example of that?”

“Um… Tell you what. I'll try. But I can't make promises.”

They then went down to find Marian and Hera on the sofa, snuggling and talking.

“We're going out to get some stuff for Garrus' room. Is barbeque ok for you?
Mom, any ideas to make that a bit more Canadian?”

Both women sat up straighter. Drew could see Hera slightly blushing. Then Marian turn to him to respond.

"Why don't you get some salmon, Drew - you know, those filets that still have scales on one side - and some chicken. I think we still have some cedar wood to improve the aroma, and maybe we can coat it with maple syrup if that's not too sweet for you?"

Drew smiled, liking the idea.

"Sure. But if you want the good stuff we might take a bit longer… you know, that shop that specializes in barbecue is some ways off…"

"No problem” Marian agreed “Do you think you could make it before 7? We'd then fire up the grill."

Looking satisfied, Drew nodded and turned to his half-sibling.

"Ok. Garrus, you coming with?"

Watching the scene unfold, Garrus chuckled at Drew as he mentioned the time required.
“‘Wish I hadn't sold my bike before I returned to my mother. We could probably use it now. Well… given that it would've been far too expensive to bring over here, I guess I could get a new one someday, instead. That is, once I get a job.”

"We can get you one here if you like,” Drew enthused “but Vancouver is big and you might not want to use your bike for regular transportation. It will take at least 20 minutes by car where we need to go. Come on…"

He went through a side door in the hall which led to the open garage that was sheltered by the first floor. Two cars stood there, the nicer minivan Garrus was already familiar with that they came back from the Airport in, and an older cheaper model which looked to be in a similar price class to the one he had just sold before coming to Canada. Drew took the second one and they took off to do their errands.

Later that evening, everyone sat at a table on the back terrace of the house, plates empty, the grill close by, still radiating a bit of warmth.

"Wow, mom… “ Drew waid with a sigh, sated from the delicious food and smiling. “I forgot how good this could be. We should do this more often."

Garrus chuckled.

“We should. And maybe you could show me a thing or two about that cooking of yours. I've never really tried ‘Canadian’ food before. Well obviously, salmon isn't that rare in other cuisines though to be fair, it does seem much more… affordable over here. Compliments to the chefs, in any case.”

He looked at both Drew and his mother.

“Though… I do have to ask. The cashier asked us if we were mutant. Was that about that tax I heard about that's being levied for more 'equality' between mutant people and … ‘normal’ ones?”

Marian frowned but explained.

"Taxes and Insurance have become quite a bit more complex, aside from changes to the law. You might already know that most Insurance companies, even if they are state-sanctioned, require information on Mutant status and details, and this affects costs on insurance. Many types are affected, foremost Medical, Transportation and also Lodging.
I understand this is similar to most Countries, but Canada took it even further. They allow anyone that has a business that sells to private clients to adjust the sales tax depending on whether the buyer is a Norm or a Mutant. I don't really understand it and I think it's not fair, but there you have it…
It is typically businesses that have had bad experiences with Mutants or that are scared or otherwise negatively inclined that make use of that option."

“I guess some of that might be warranted.”

Garrus looked rather thoughtful at the moment.

“Then again, I have little experience with mutants. Most of them are healthier by default, so shouldn't that make their health insurance cheaper? Dunno about accidents but they might be more prone to them though, especially if they're inexperienced with those abilities of theirs. Do tell me if I’m talking out of my ass.”

He raised an eyebrow rather dramatically. Whether it was meant with irony or sarcasm was hard to tell. Hera merely rolled her eyes, the Canadians, however, did not know whether to be amused or confused.

Marian chuckled.

”Some want to see it that way, and I know of at least one insurance that agrees if the conditions are right. But it's a minefield and when you choose an insurance company nowadays you need to look more closely at the details than before. I only have a rough idea of other insurances, but am somewhat familiar with health insurance, being a Doctor myself. While there are laws or at least guidelines on how and how not to incorporate Mutants into health insurance, it's still new and only vaguely defined, so it's up to the company and their opinion on mutants on which conditions you get. As far as my knowledge goes, I and Hera can never become conventional mutants - well, at least the chance is exceedingly low - but there is still a possibility for you and Drew. I know that both I and Horst have contracted the mutant retrovirus. While it now becomes more and more unlikely that Drew is at risk, and even more so you Garrus, I chose an Insurance that is friendlier.
Some insurances say they are a liability and just generally increase the fee but many adjust it depending on powers and levels. For instance, if you are just a low-level exemplar you get off rather cheap, or even cheaper than normal, but if you have, say, level 4 or above then you may become even more difficult to treat in some cases, or - and that's what most argue - a liability to yourself and people around you. For instance, higher level Mutants are more likely to incur in a burnout."

She paused, then looked around and blushed.

"Oh, sorry, I must have droned on about that… it's just such a fascinating subject, wouldn't you agree, Drew?"

Drew just nodded, feeling rather pushed into a corner and under a spotlight. Seeing him flushing and rather silent, Marian chose to change the subject.

"How is it in Germany, actually?"

Garrus sighed a bit after that lengthy explanation of hers. He tried to clear his head before responding.

“… No worries, it’s just a lot to take in. Uhm…

Since apparently anti-discrimination laws are stricter than here, everyone pays the same in Germany. That being said, there is some insurance that is required for mutants yet optional for normal people and vice versa. The 'same price for all' only applies to insurance that is mandatory. It seems that we haven't had as many outbreaks as you, but I’d say the mutants with … destructive powers have the worst of it as they are automatically in a higher level of liability and thus pay more for their insurance, they also aren't eligible for any but the most basic insurance and in order to receive any coverage at all, they're required to undergo a psych evaluation every six months. Not that that would be unwarranted seeing as gun laws are very similar in that regard by now. Their abilities are, by law, classified as uh… inherent or acquired weapons or weapon-like capabilities and are regulated - in most other aspects, like conventional armaments.”

Marian found Garrus’ summary informative and to the point, and felt that she started to actually like him.

“I think your system might be better. Maybe I have over-dramatized how it actually is in Canada. Officially there is an anti-discrimination law, and to some extent, that is upheld, but as I said, I feel there is too much leniency. Like Germany, in Canada, some insurance also does not apply to Mutants, and I'd like to see some psychological evaluation, but maybe it's frequency should depend on the results of the last one."

Marian looked around.

“I'm tired. How about we clean up? I feel like retiring.”

She then particularly looked at Hera. Drew stood up, finding himself more in his element and took charge.

“Sure. I'll take care of the grill. Maybe you can help, Garrus?”

“Sure. I'm more than spent after this long day.”

Garrus smiled and got up. He walked over to Drew to help him with the cleaning tasks at hand, mainly the grill itself as well as the dishes.

”You were noticeably quieter than before, Drew. Are you just exhausted or is something else the matter?”

Drew looked up from brushing together the ashes remaining on the grill, with a slightly surprised look that turned into a small smile.

"You noticed… hm… well… yes and no. I am a bit tired, but there are things on my mind - not anything bad, though - AND Marian showed her occasional tendency to dominate the conversation."

He sighed and brushed the now collected ashes into a metal bucket.

"I feel like taking a little stroll in the park before going to bed. If you like and are not too tired, you can join me."

Garrus smiled while he carried the plates into the kitchen, and placed them in the sink.

“I'd be delighted to spend the evening with you, Drew…”

Garrus cringed and sought to compensate.

“That sounded sappy. My bad.”

He chuckled as he returned, and gazed over at Drew while he was working on the grill.

Drew then took the grill and the bucket into a small shed alongside the house. After taking a last look over the backyard, and was apparently satisfied, he turned to Garrus.

“Well then, I'd be happy if you joined me.”

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enjoying

Podracer's picture

the steady pace and the younger characters feeling out each other's opinions. It seems they may end up a lot closer. If one or both end up with mutant status that is going to be important.

"Reach for the sun."

You might be right :)

You might be right with your assumptions :)
I'm delighted you seem to like the pace.

I'd like to mention at this point that I re-reviewed the first three chapters over the last days, and based on comments and my own findings (having the text read to you really does wonders when it comes to finding issues), made some further corrections and extensions. There's even a whole new paragraph in this chapter :)

The pace of my posts will be slower from now on, but you'll get another chapter before the end of the year.

Sorry to disappoint, but at

Sorry to disappoint, but at that point, he's human and only has the potential to become a mutant :)
Don't give your hopes up, though!

Fanfiction

Does this have some elements of whateley fanfiction also I wonder if their mutations occur during the walk.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Hey Michelle.

Hey Michelle.

This world was inspired by the Whateley Academy universe, but it does not play in it (read on the title page for some notes on the background of the story).

Originally the story played in a modified version of Whateley and could have been considered a fanfic, however as things progressed we have decided to depart from this and see it as our own universe, however with thankful roots in Whateley and other worlds.

Not sure what you mean with "mutations occur during the walk"?
In chapter two I described, at least to some degree, under which circumstances potential mutants manifest.

Are they or will they?

Jamie Lee's picture

Marian and Hera are already an item, and the way Drew and Garrus are acting towards each other, might they soon become a couple?

From the dialog there does seem to be something developing between them, but whether it becomes just brothers or more depends on several things.

Both Drew and Garrus have a chance of mutating but will it actually happen? And if the do, how will it affect Hera's and Maria's relationship? If Garrus mutates will he be deported or left alone to live in Canada?

Others have feelings too.

*Chuckles*

*Chuckles*

Jamie, I thought you had read ahead to chapter 5 were some of your musings are answered.
You'll have to wait until chapter 6 to find out even more :)