Babs' New Year's Resolution 3

Printer-friendly version

Babs' New Year's Resolution 3.

The Friday morning dawned clear and sunny promising an excellent turnout for the Regatta. As Barbara drove into Bristol she could clearly sense the resentment radiating silently from the passenger seat. Olivia was sulking and also jealous that Lola would be free to prowl around Bristol on her own, while she, Olivia had to stay with the old woman.

When they arrived, Lola disappeared immediately after arranging to meet with Aaron, Shirley and their three children when they had tied up next to Billy Jackson's narrow boat the Rubicon. She knew exactly where Billy's boat 'Rubicon' was berthed and quickly joined the gay consultant endocrinologist to await Aaron's appearance.

By the time Aaron and family had navigated up the River Avon to the old Bristol 'floating harbour' then waited an interminable time in the ship lock while other boats were gathered, it was all of ten o'clock before Billy and Lola spotted them coming up the floating dock amongst at least a score of other boats.

“Do they know where you're berthed?” Lola asked Billy.

“I gave them verbal instructions but it's pandemonium out there, just look at them all clamouring for berths.”

“Shall I take your jolly boat and guide them in?”

Billy knew that Lola was now proficient in small boats because he had seen her efficiently working with Barbara's little boat on the Canal and around the basin. He'd even seen her working around the lock-gate pintles in the river lock whilst breaking a trapped narrow boat free of ice during a precarious tidal bore. By the time other boat owners had hurried to help, Lola had averted the danger and saved the couple plus their boat.

Knowing this, he gave Lola a life-jacket and watched the young transexual nimbly thread her way between the log-jam of boats to fetch up alongside Aaron and help him and Shirley to manoeuvre into the awkward slot between Billy's boat and another neighbouring boat. As Aaron cautiously threaded his boat into the tight space, Lola ducked around Rubicon's stern and made fast before trotting along the pier and grabbing Aaron's bow-rope. Billy already had tea ready when they had tied up.

“So what's the plan?” Shirley asked.

“As soon as you're ready, we can join the festivities on the water, Billy offered.”

“Such as?” Shirley continued. “The kids are all pumped up.”

“Oh, rowing races, dinghy regatta, silly boat antics, crazy stunts, and the nicest dressed boat, there's several classes of that. Finally there's the 'Sailing by' historical procession of boats and of course you can walk aboard the visiting 'Tall Ships. Then there are all the shore-side festivities and the boat tackle fair .

Oh, I've also booked a dining table aboard the SS Great Britain for the late afternoon or early evening, first sitting. Finally we go back to the fair for the evening disco. It'll be a good day out.”

A general smile of appreciation and anticipation spread across the children's faces and the 'tea and cakes' were wolfed down in short order.. Before the adults knew it, both Billy and Aaron's jolly boats had been commandeered by the children and they were putt-putting across the dock to were the most fun was happening - splashing battles, hosepipe wars, silly stunts, and all the crazy antics that boat-people got up to short of sinking their boats.

Aaron turned to his medical colleague.

“We won't see much of them until the meal time on the ship.”

“They shouldn't be late, they've all got mobiles.” Shirley opined.

“So what shall we do?”

“Well Mum and I want to see the art exhibition in the Anarfoli Museum then a stroll through the fair. What about you two?” Shirley asked the men.

“Well I fancy the exhibition as well, Billy confessed. They've changed some of the displays and I haven't seen them yet.”

He turned hopefully towards Aaron.

“Are you happy to tag along then we can share a pint or two later in the King William.”

“I'm easy, Aaron nodded.”

“Don't you two go getting drunk now!” Shirley threatened as her mother nodded support.

“As if,” Billy chuckled as they locked up their narrow boats and set off for the foot ferry that carried them across the dock.

Across the city, Olivia was sat twiddling her thumbs while Barbara visited several places in a seemingly endless process of paperwork. She looked up resentfully as Barbara returned from the last office.

“I thought banks and stuff were closed on Saturdays.” Olivia whined.

“These were appointments I made beforehand and I had to meet the principals.”

Olivia had no idea what Barbara was on about but she was relieved when the business finally turned to shopping.

“Come on now. Once the shopping is over the day is our own. If we're quick we might even see the finals of the racing regattas.”

“Don't much like shopping,” Olivia moaned resentfully.

“Well like it or not, you've still got to get some underwear. You looked like a wartime refugee when you came out of the shower this morning Underwear comes in various colours including white. Yours are all grey! You also need new bras. That thing you've got is a disgrace, I'm surprised the underwire hasn't stabbed you through the heart.”

“It's comfy and it gives me cleavage.”

“You need a decent one and it will still give you cleavage. We'll do that first.”

Olivia made a show of resentment by tutting obnoxiously but when she was towed almost kicking and screaming into a large expensive department store with a fabulous lingerie section her attitude changed. The stuff available was really nice with terrific selections.

Barbara smiled inwardly as Olivia fell silent while she rummaged eagerly through the sales stock piled loosely on the large counter. Babs knew her action was an out-and-out bribe but, 'what the heck', she told herself. She was growing fond of the kid despite her rough edges.

“Can I try these on.” Olivia pleaded hopefully.

Barbara simply nodded towards the fitting rooms.

At the door, the assistant handed her the tags and asked knowingly if 'the young lady' needed a fitting. Olivia looked uncertainly at Barbara and whispered.

“What's a fitting? Is that where they check your tits?”

“Exactly,” Barbara confirmed.

“I've never had a fitting.”

“Why doesn't that surprise me?” Barbara sighed as she smiled sympathetically.

“Do they poke me about and squeeze my boobs?

“No, it's not like a breast scan darling, it's all about fit and comfort and it wont cause you any pain. She'll be taking measurements and testing different styles.. She'll take you to the big cubicle at the bottom while I go for a cup of tea.”

“Can you stay with me? I'm a bit nervous.”

“If you want; certainly.”

Barbara nodded affirmation to the assistants and the older girl led them to the fitting room. Inside the cubicle Olivia shyly removed her top. The grey, tatty article encasing her nascent boobs was embarrassing. Barbara rolled her eyes as the assistant glanced her way and wagged her head sympathetically..

“We can ditch that I think.” Barbara remarked as a way of disowning the bra without disowning Olivia.

The assistant nodded slowly and silently as she concurred.

“Yes. I definitely think so. What about knickers?”

“Later, lets do this first.”

The assistant was soon fixing and adjusting an assortment of bras while asking Olivia how she felt. The thirteen-year-old kid was secretly pleased to be getting some rare individual attention and was soon in her element as the assistant gently tugged and adjusted various different bras whilst explaining in detail what tensions and shoulder strap positions were best for her shape. As they chatted, Olivia became more and more confident and less shy. Eventually, they had exhausted the sales stock and the assistant paused before speaking to Barbara.

“I've got some more designs in the normal stock if you're interested Miss.”

The assistant asked Olivia whilst exchanging knowing looks with the older Barbara who was the obvious payer.

Olivia glanced hopefully up at Barbara who nodded indulgently. She could hardly refuse a thirteen-year-old girl her first proper bra fitting. It was, after all, one of the most rewarding 'mother-daughter' interludes in any woman's life.

“Thanks Nina.” Olivia remarked and Barbara was pleased to see real gratitude in the kid's eyes. Her use of the endearing term 'Nina' also sent a rush of pleasure through Barbara's breast. They chatted briefly and Olivia gave Barbara a desperate hug of gratitude before the assistant returned with several samples.

“These are thirty two and thirty four B's and C's miss. They are about your size. I've also brought matching pants”

Olivia's eyes widened with appreciation and she glanced nervously towards Bab's as she commenced testing the bra's.

“You don't have to try the knickers miss, unless you want to see how they look. I have judged you to be a size six to eight.”

Olivia looked up sheepishly.

“Can I try the pants, I just want to see.”

With an unexpected primordial tacit understanding of mothers for daughters, Barbara nodded and stepped outside the cubicle with the assistant, both adults had recognised Olivia's embarrassment about her old threadbare underwear.

“You can look now,” Olivia whispered through the curtain.

“We don't need to see darling. If they fit and look good then that's a given.”

“Please Nina. I just want you to see. I want your opinion.”

Barbara exchanged a glance with the assistant who nodded encouragement.

“Can the assistant come in as well?”

There was a brief pause then Olivia agreed.

The two entered to find a thirteen-year-old girl who could have passed for an undersized lingerie model. Barbara nodded and smiled.

“Perfect darling. We'll take half a dozen different styles and throw out any of your old stuff you don't want. when we get home.”

As Olivia wrapped her arms tightly around Barbara the assistant's eyes lit up with a 'Ka-ching! Sign.

“We can do a special deal because of the fitting session charge. I'll give you a ticket to present at the tills, it's also good for clothes.”

“That'll be useful, she needs jeans and / or leggings and some pretty tops as well as some tee-shirts and a pair of new trainers. Those look as though she's run a marathon in a quarry.”

As Barbara listed the items she felt Olivia squeeze even tighter.

“Oooff! Go easy girl, you'll break my ribs or something.”

She felt her blouse getting wet and realised Olivia was crying. Unsure of how to comfort the girl, Barbara simply rubbed her arms up and down Olivia's bare back while flashing a concerned expression to the assistant until the tears abated. The assistant realised the intensity of the moment and simply stood silent whilst realising she was acting in some sort of chaperone capacity. As she stood watching uncomprehendingly Barbara mouthed silently to the assistant.

“She's from a care home, I'm fostering her.”

The assistant's eyes widened with dawning realisation then she nodded her understanding.

“I'll get some tissues madam. They're under my desk.”

“Thank you.” Barbara replied as she continued rubbing Olivia's back.

Eventually the tears stopped and Olivia got fully dressed. She grinned when she noticed how the new underwear accentuated her boobs and she flashed a grateful grin at Barbara who was checking the big mirror. Olivia felt like a million dollars, then Barbara brought her back to earth in the nicest possible way..

“Come on kid, there's more shopping to get through.”

“I've got to fix my make up Nina.”

Barbara chatted with the fitting assistant and explained more about Olivia;s circumstances while Olivia did the necessary. Eventually Olivia returned looking lovely and the assistant nodded approvingly.

“Good job young lady, always remember with make-up, less is more, especially with younger skin.”

Olivia stood visibly taller as Barbara finally ushered her away. As they left their purchases behind the sales counter to collect later, Olivia giggled.

“I didn't know shopping could be such fun. Where next?”

“Jeans and a pretty blouse I think, then leggings and some everyday tops.”

“What about trainers?”

“Later girl, we'll go for afternoon tea then do the shoes.”

And so the afternoon passed. It was four o'clock in the afternoon when Olivia's new phone rang unexpectedly.

“Who's that?” Barbara asked for she had only purchased the phone on the previous Thursday in anticipation of Olivia's arrival on the Friday. It was a cheap 'pay-as-you-go' phone but to Olivia it was the best thing Barbara could have bought, it was also another naked bribe.

“It's Lola, I've only got your and her numbers.”

“Well go on girl, answer it.”

“Hi Lola.”

“Hi Olivia, where are you?”
“Were down by the Hippodrome theatre having tea.”

“Have you finished all Bab's business?”

“Yeah, we did that this mornin'.”

“Can I speak to her a moment?”

Olivia passed the phone to Barbara with a puzzled frown.

“Why did n' she phone you?” Olivia asked.

“I switch it off girl. Once the business of the day is done, I don't like being disturbed.”

Barbara put Olivia's new phone to her ear and smiled.

“Yes. That'd be lovely, where shall we meet you?”

“Okay, yes, straight away, we've finished here anyway.”

She handed the phone back to Olivia.

“Get your stuff. Here, give me a couple of those bags.”

“Where are we going.”

“To the regatta then to Billy's boat the Rubicon. Aaron, and Shirley are there as well, with the family. Lola's coming to collect us over there by those boat steps.”

“Olivia's day was complete, she was going to the regatta after all. Hurriedly she gathered her shopping and the pair hustled to the steps . As they arrived at the agreed location, Olivia recognised Lola driving a little motorised jolly boat.”

“Cool!” She grinned as suddenly she was to be elevated from Groccle to boat-person.

She fidgeted impatiently as Lola came alongside, deftly secured the boat then unlocked the mesh security gate with her 'boat-owner's' key.

“Hi babes, whatchoo bought?”

Olivia opened one of the bags but Barbara cautioned her.

“Not here girl, wait until we get aboard Billy's boat. They could get wet with the antics and the dock water is not the cleanest stuff in Bristol.”

Within minutes the boat had crossed the harbour and Olivia was reunited with her own kind. With three other black kids cavorting around the two boats, it was a delight to be 'legitimate' and seen to be legitimate. Suddenly, Olivia felt free. As she stepped along the little pier she encountered an old man from the neighbouring boat. He had some paint brushes and several small paint-pots. He looked up as Olivia stopped to watch.

“Hello young lady, I thought Aaron and Shirley only had three children. You must be a cousin.”

“No I'm just a friend visiting with that white girl Lola.”

“Oh, you're Lola's friend, well any friend of Lola's is welcome here. Take care, don't fall in and watch my boat, the paint's wet just here. My name's Frank”

“What does that scene represent?”

“It's a scene from the Forest of Dean. My boat's simply called Dean.

“Oh. You should use more yellow to make the glade area paler where the sun is supposed to shine through.”

“Are you an artist young lady?”

“Yes, and I could do a better job than that.” She added a little too precociously.

The old man was nonplussed at the teenager's precocity. He got up off his little seat and promptly challenged her.

“All right young lady, show me. Here's the photograph of that particular glade.”

Olivia settled on the little stool and after little more than a minute's painting the old man nodded appreciatively.

“You've got yourself a job girl. That's bloody good and so fast as well.”

Olivia grinned. “How much you gonna' pay me?”

“How much d' you reckon. Ten quid a panel. There's five down each side of the cabin.”

“Make it twenty quid and I'm allowed to sign my name to each panel.”

“Well I'll be buggered, you're a right little capitalist aren't you?”

Olivia grinned pugnaciously before mimicking a west country beggar-lady.

“Oi've got three cats and a waif to feed kind zurr plus an old gran'ma.”

“The old man chuckled and stepped inside his galley only to reappear holding a can of coke and a can of beer.”

“Which one's fur mee kind zurr?” Olivia grinned.

“This is to drink a seal to the deal. To all artists. Cheers young lady.!”

Olivia raised her can of coke in salute and savoured the delightful feeling of being made totally welcome. She was still painting when she heard Lola's call.

“Olivia! Were going for dinner on the Great Britain. Where are yoooou!?”

“She's on the other side painting my boat panel.” Came an invisible reply.

Lola stepped around to find Olivia just finishing up the first decorative panel of Frank's boat. Lola chuckled.

“Well, I'll be buggered. That's brilliant Olivia.”

“She's got a rare talent,” Frank added, “She's decorating each panel.”

“Twenty pound per panel,” Olivia almost boasted.

“Tish, tish young lady! Always keep your business affairs private.” Frank warned her.

Lola's jaw sagged, “That's two hundred quid!”

“One or two panels a day, I'll be finished in week or a fortnight.”

“Then you'd better let Babs know you want to stay.”

Olivia's face fell. “Ah! Fuckkit” I forgot.

“Tut, tut young lady. Language now.”

Olivia span around to respond in her usual 'kid's-home' abusive manner then actually found herself restraining her tongue.

“Sorry Frank. There's something jus' got in the way of our deal.”

“And what's that?”

Lola intervened in case Olivia said something out of turn.

“She's returning to London on Tuesday or Wednesday.”

“Well she could finish them by Wednesday if she worked full time for Sunday to Midweek. It's two hundred smackers young lady.”

Olivia sucked her lip frustratedly.

“I'd have to travel to the docks from Lockside cottage every day.”

“Well you could sleep aboard. There's a two berth cabin in the bow.”

Olivia wagged her head as her hopes faced a dead end. She decided to come clean to Frank.

“I'm from a care home in Brixton. I'm out on licence to Barbara with a view to permanent fostering. I have to sleep at the Lock-gate keeper's Cottage every night.”

Frank grinned.

“Aaah! Now the full facts are revealed.”

“What-choo mean?” Olivia demanded.

“There's a solution for you my girl.”

“What?” Wondered Olivia as Lola also frowned uncertainly.

Apart from meeting Barbara, both girls had rarely enjoyed good experiences in care and they weren't expecting anything this time. Franks smile only seemed to add injury to insult.

Frank could see the resentment in Olivia's accusative gaze. It was obvious she thought frank was mocking her. He moved quickly to dispel the illusion.

“Young lady, this is not just my holiday boat. I stay here a lot during mid-week when work gets too onerous. You might be surprised to learn I spend most workdays here and go home to the Forest of Dean on weekends. Furthermore, my wife often stays over when she works in Bristol so if you stay here, she can be your chaperone.”

“Yeah but wharra'bout the licence order. Babs in my supervisor cum foster carer.”

“Ah! Silly Me!” Frank slapped his forehead for effect. “I forgot to mention, I'm deputy director of Bristol social services. I'll contact Joyce, she's your social worker isn't she?”

Olivia's jaw sagged with uncertainty. She was too afraid to hope. Then Frank's phone was answered. It was Joyce and Olivia could even detect the deferential tone through the muted call.

“Yes sir.”

“Hello Miss Banks or shall I call you Joyce. No. There's no trouble; you're dealing with a girl from London I understand, with a view to fostering her out to that strange lady on the canal.”

“Yes sir, but she's not a strange lady as such. She's got a real gift with handling LGBT., damaged kids. So what's happened?”

“Oh nothing much. It's not her, it's the kid Olivia.”

“Oh hell, nothing's happened, please tell me nothing's happened.”

“Calm down Miss Banks. Nothing's happened, the young lady in question is with me now. And her foster-mother is on the next boat not fifty feet away.”

Olivia and Lola could almost sense the gasp of relief from Joyce's end.

“Thank God for that. So what's the problem?”

“The kid's gifted, she's brilliant little artist. Did you know about this.”

“Yes. I saw some of her work in London. If we could only find some way to get her to benefit from it we could -”.

“Well, I've got good news Miss Banks.”

“Oh. What?”

“Olivia's just done a little paint job for me. She's painted one of the decorative panels on my boat.”

“Is it good?”

“It's a brilliant piece of work and I've offered her a small commission to paint the rest of the panels. Now as you know, she has to return to Brixton on Wednesday so she's only got two days to complete her commission. If she has to commute each morning from the cottage, she won't be able to complete, so I'm suggesting she stays overnight down here. There are plenty of bunks on my boat and my friend Billy's. She could sleep here on my boat and my wife can chaperone her or the canal lady can sleep here as well.”
“Will she be staying there tonight as well?”

“If you and the canal lady are agreeable, yes; and Monday and Tuesday as well.”

“Her name's Barbara. Can I speak to her?”

Frank nodded to Lola. “Can you ask her to come over?”

“We're a bit short of time, we've got dinner booked on the SS Great Britain.”

“Very well. I'll join you as far as the ship and we can talk on the way.”

Arrangements were quickly made and Olivia hugged herself tight with delight at the thought of sleeping in a bunk on a narrow boat. Barbara had agreed to also stay for the Sunday and Monday Night while Frank's wife agreed to stay on Tuesday night. Olivia would then go straight to the Station for the London train on Wednesday.

For Olivia things could not have turned out better. Four weeks later after kicking her heels with frustration as the bureaucratic wheels ground slowly through the motions. Olivia became a permanent fixture on the canal.

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bev

You have an absolute devious mind when it comes to pre-teen female minds, this particular story has been your third best story, with your welsh farmer and retired ships captain coming in 2nd and 1st respectively in terms of how you set out the story.

Hope you will continue this brilliant story and hopefully finish some of the older stories under your page.

"Wait, There's More"

joannebarbarella's picture

At least, I hope there is. There was almost an air of finality in your last sentence but no definitive "The End" and I would love to see more of the girls (and Barbara).

It was a lovely depiction of both the regatta and the shopping trip. Earlier I was afraid Olivia was going to do something silly but the day ended well. You obviously know more than a little about kids in care.

I enjoyed this chapter, as

I enjoyed this chapter, as things appear to be looking up for Olivia, both family wise and financial wise. She has now shown her artistic skills and from this I do believe she will find her life's career, along with quite possibly a few "backers".

There IS more to come I hope?

I've been catching up on your stories and have to admit I'm particularly into this one. I hope Joannebarbarella's comment doesn't turn out to be profound. We want more, we want more, we want more.........

A long time coming

Jamie Lee's picture

Good for Olivia, being fostered by Barbra. It's time she has good fortune for a change, instead of attitudes that treat her just like another problem to be put out of the way. Or as a paycheck.

Her love for art needs an outlet, and now it looks like she found that outlet. Given how much Frank likes the work he's seen her do so far, chances are she'll have to get an appointment book before to long.

There is more to this story, right? Hopefully? Maybe?

Others have feelings too.

sometimes

all you need is a chance.