Room in Hell chapter 37.

Printer-friendly version

It was all over now.

Everything had changed, in moments. My new life just as destroyed as my old one.

I was packing. I was packing alone, my phone silent. Of course, it would still be silent even if I hadn't turned it off.

No one wanted to talk to or hang out with the person the Devil had declared an interest in; it wasn't a healthy long-term prospect. One only had to look at my last boyfriend. Unless Satan had been lying, he had been chosen, dragged to the circle in the warehouse, and ritually slaughtered all so that Satan could take his guise. Just because he looked at me.

Or because I had looked at him.

I wasn't stupid enough to think that he meant what he said about having feelings for me. He wanted me for something - but I didn't know what or why. Grex was still close-lipped over the reason if he even knew it; it wasn't like the almighty ruler of Hell had to answer to my plebby demon lord.

As if thinking of him focused his attention, Grex turned from taping up a box full of my books and raised an eyebrow.

"Finish the job, Grex."

"But Mistress, I..."

"No Grex. Unless you can tell me why the freaking Devil is actually after me, don't say a word. Just do what I tell you."

"Mistress, I have told you. He himself told you, or at the very least inferred the reason. He wishes you to be his bride."

The apartment spun for a moment before righting itself; if my stomach had been full I'd have emptied it on the fatigues I was stuffing into my still new field pack. I flopped back in the chair and lowered my head. Breathe, I had to breathe.

"Not funny Grex. The ruler of the abyss, the original betrayer, does not do things like love or marriage. Now shut up unless you want to tell me the real reason. All of it."

Grex couldn't actually lie to me. To say that so plainly and out loud...!

It defied sense, logic, and reason.

A knock sounded on the door.

"Grex, answer the door, and be polite."

Grex flowed into the floor and past me. I could still sense where he was as he moved around me. I got up and focused on my packing. the familiar tread in the hall warned me; I looked up in time to be smothered in a hug.

No no no no no! "Dad, what are you doing here?"

mom jumped from the hall, a slightly bent smile on her face, and grabbed my other side. "Honeeeyyyy!"

They had to know by now! Dad was a cop, and all the police had been briefed on yesterday's events and the fallout.

"Still injured over here. What are you two even doing here!?!"

"We came to see you of course," Dad said, finally easing up.

"You didn't answer your phone," Mom said, nuzzling my cheek with hers.

"It's turned off." I didn't want to risk it. "why are you even here? It's dangerous!"

People around me had a way of... no, I couldn't finish that thought. I had showered six times, and at times I still felt Cords coating me.

"It was dangerous before. Now we just know how dangerous it is. It isn't as if the big guy down below didn't know who or where we are. If he decides to do something to us, it isn't as if we have a chance."

"Right!" Mom added with just a bit too much cheer. "So we just won't worry about it! But you, we hear you are going to the front, so we came to see you off!"

Dad ignored Mom and focused on chewing his unlit cigar. "We came to offer advice and help packing."

I turned from him to find Mom already picking through my field pack. Mainly throwing my clothes around.

"Too many for the field, you only need two sets and two sets of underwear. You'll need tampons of course, not pads because demons can smell the blood and I doubt anyone as strong as you will be taken off the line for your period...."

"Mom!" I turned back to Dad, mortified.

Dad just met my gaze calmly. "Pay attention, this is good advice she's giving. It kept her alive."

"Oh, and charcoal! You'll want charcoal in order to mask scents and possibly to cook with. It also works as a good currency, since good cooking fuel is normally at a premium."

I wasn't carrying charcoal; my pack was too heavy already.

"Money is mostly useless," mom continued. "So precious metals are the best currency. The best isn't gold, but silver, followed by copper."

Well, silver made sense since it was a good metal to use for circles or stopping demons, but it was also way too expensive for someone on my salary to buy in any meaningful amount. Copper I didn't understand at all, the only general use I could remember for that metal was plumbing.

There was even less of a chance of smuggling copper pipe in my field pack than the charcoal.

"You should pack double of any spell or ritual component you have; resupply is usually a distant dream on the front." Mom continued, sounding wistful.

Dad joined me in looking at her, his face unreadable.

I had to admit on that one she had a point. There would be no sending Grex away to the corner store for odds and ends; it would be too dangerous to be without him where I was going. I'd miss the coffee from downstairs too.

Mom had finally reached the side pocket. "Good, at least you packed toilet paper. The army is usually slow to hand more of that out too. You might want to add some of your commonly used medicines too; as long as it's over the counter stuff, the quartermasters won't bat an eyelid."

"Right, knew I was forgetting something." I rushed to the bathroom.

Grex had stayed silent while packing my things. Usually, he liked to stir things up with Mom; there really must be an ulterior motive that he couldn't tell me.

I wasn't sure if that was a relief or not. I wanted to tell myself that yes it was, but part of me was sure the motive was worse than... the other thing he wanted. I was sure by now that Murphy was laughing at me somewhere, and it could always get worse.

I grabbed the aspirin, the antacids, some pain patches, and yes it wouldn't do to forget the Midol, shut up inner Mom, and came back. The bottles I put cotton in so they wouldn't rattle, then I wrapped the mess up in a shirt.

"That's all I can really think of. You've got the rest - even the extra food." Mom looked at me, her smile lopsided.

"I'll be fine, Mom."

I would be fine. Maybe if I said it enough, we'd both believe it.

"So where to now?" Dad asked me, pulling out another cigar. He looked calm enough, but he'd systematically bitten the previous one into pieces.

"I still need to go to the cop shop and get my marching orders. Officially."

They would have avoided that step if they could, I was certain, but they needed to make it obvious I was no longer here.

They were even going to announce my transfer in the paper, for crying out loud; not just one, all of them. Didn't want to leave the demon responsible for slowly killing all humanity out of the intelligence loop.

All my belongings were now in boxes or totes, taped up and labeled. Even the posters and prints were gone. The apartment was still technically mine, but if need be the boxes would be moved and it would be reassigned to a new Summoner. If I died in combat.

I took my bag back and zipped it up; I had to put effort into it. "Grex, take this and follow me."

As much as I hated the idea, I wasn't about to give up the protection. I was sure I needed it. He followed me out the door. It was questionable how much protection he would offer, considering his inability to protect me from my greatest threats... but I'd take what I could get when I could get it.

I didn't bother locking up, but I heard the click as Dad did. Good old Dad - he believed in me, somehow. He didn't know the whole truth, not many did, but he had hope.

I hated to crush it; not again.

I headed for the stairs, and Mom grabbed my arm with a "nope," vetoing that idea. Luckily it was empty, so we had room.

"We'll follow you in," Dad assured me.

"Actually, can you ride with me?"

Mom and Dad shared a look as the elevator opened. "Sure honey, we can do that."

The Chrysler was right where I left it, parked in the furthest spot from the door I could manage and alone.

"Hold on a minute," I told my parents. "Grex, pass the field pack back and play bomb sniffer."

It was painfully clear after yesterday that not all my enemies were demons. Grex limboed his way under the car for a moment, then came out the other side.

"All clear, Mistress."

I handed him the key. "Make sure."

He shrugged and unlocked the car door. I stepped back a little as he got in, ready to do my thing just in case. I had all my jewelry in, but I could still manage it for a few seconds; I was getting stronger all the time.

But the car started right up with no problems. Grex moved over and dusted the driver's seat, which was my cue.

I got in and unlocked the back. My parents piled in. I waited until doors were shut and locked and seat belts were fastened, as was my right as the driver, no matter how often Mom rolled her eyes. I could simply outlast her.

Once that was done I pulled out and joined the flow of traffic.

I was silent on the drive; we all were. The air was charged with what I wanted to say, but I couldn't force the words. I just didn't know how to say any of it. I could only guess my parents felt the same; after all, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I did take after Dad more than Mom in that respect; Mom tended to say whatever popped into her head, and she wasn't saying anything now. Instead, she was watching traffic go by with a wide smile plastered on her face.

Dad had snapped another cigar in half. He was going to explode if he didn't smoke one soon. But for all of that, not a word.

I quit staring in the rearview mirror and focused on the road.

The uniform that waved us into the parking garage wasn't one I recognized. The armed SWAT just past the officer rung a faint bell; I think I'd seen them somewhere. My parking spot was empty. I pulled carefully into it, got out, and tapped Karen's hum-vee.

Karen's parking spot was almost half the garage length away.

The bullet holes were still in the door - a little odd considering all the evidence of the explosives used yesterday. I led the way in and got halfway around to the elevators before realizing my Mom was still staring at them, and Dad was humoring her.

No, I wasn't waiting for this. I couldn't, I just couldn't.

I went back down the hall and grabbed Mom, dragging her out of the way. With a shrug, Dad followed.

"Aw, honey, I wanted to figure out what caliber..." Mom pouted.

"Thirty, in the case of the door. Mostly uzis or berettas for the rest."

Mom narrowed her eyes, trying to go for shrewd. "Really? Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure, yes," The blood spatter had been cleaned from the walls. If I hadn't known it was there....

The hall cleared before us. When the elevator opened, the cops in it all but ran out of our way. Out of my way.

No one got on the elevator with us, either. Mom didn't notice, but Dad was gritting his teeth.

We made it to the floor; I stepped off -

The rush of air, the smell of burning glass, the blood, all the blood

- and all activity on the floor stopped.

"Alright! We're here, where all the real work is done!"

Good old Mom, clueless as always. I straightened up and led the way to the conference room. I was early, because time was my ally. The entire floor was spotless and the holed glass replaced. Like the garage, all evidence of yesterday had been scrubbed away.

"Come on, let's go talk to the imp!"

Good old Mom, who had an attention span of a gnat. That was fine though, it would keep her and Dad busy. They didn't need to be told they wouldn't be allowed in the room.

Aims was there in his full gear. He opened the door and shut it after I walked inside. Grex just flowed under the door as if invited... which of course he was, by me.

The Captain was there, but he wasn't at the head of the table - the chief was. The chief who technically wasn't in my command structure at all. At the four corners of the room was my team, fully locked and loaded. The Captain was to the right of the chief, Karen was to the left.

There was also someone I didn't recognize. A baby-faced looking Captain in full dress uniform, who looked squeakably clean and boot camp fresh. His name tag said Reynolds.

"Take a seat, Summoner Numens."

Yeah, no. I stopped and went to parade rest. "I'd prefer to stand, sir."

"Fine. Care to...."

Captain Reynolds interrupted. "Summoner Numens, the army has decided to exercise it's right to deploy you. You are to report to the tower by 1700, after which you will be flown to Paris. Are those orders in any way unclear?"

"No, Sir."

"I need you to sign receipt of those orders. The form at your end of the table."

I read it before I signed it. It was a standard release from civilian duty to military life, but the general himself had authorized it; I suppose I should be flattered. It wasn't anything my Captain hadn't warned me about in the phone call this morning. I shouldn't be angry at him; I did appreciate the warning. That and talking to me in the first place.

Etiquette demanded I now salute, so I did. Captain Reynolds snapped one off himself, collected the form, and told me sternly "Don't be late" as he left the room.

My guess is, seeing an actual demon attack would break him.

-the scent of blood, cloying red everywhere I looked-

Yeah, he probably wouldn't last five seconds.

Orders received, I was no longer a civilian. Unless a complaint was formally lodged about my conduct, I could simply leave. I wanted nothing more - and yet, I needed to stay.

The chief Harrumphed and started again. "Summoner Numens, do you have anything you'd like to share regarding yesterday?"

"It's all in my report, sir."

I'd had Grex write that report. Having to check it for demonic screwups was much better than the alternative. Just doing that much was enough. More than enough.

"You made a report?"

"This morning, Sir." Of course, the Chief hadn't read it. He was a busy man, or so I heard.

The Captain leaned over and whispered something to the Chief... and he blanched.

"Right, we've no need of your testimony this time, Summoner Numens. You are dismissed."

With a shrug I didn't bother to hide, I turned around and marched out the door. It was just as well they did not ask me anything; I wouldn't have had any answers for them. I was sure the question 'how did you not notice' would be asked eventually.

Right up there with "are you compromised?"

Now I waited, Grex at my back. I could already see from here that my desk was cleaned and cleaned out. I wonder who did it. At least they left the basic books for the next guy or gal. There were some helpful notes in there.

The office was busy, with everyone looking doing some long overdue forms. Shuffling papers and clicking on keyboards were the only sounds. Aims was still at the door, fingering his rifle and staring straight ahead.

The comms room was dark, the door shut.

I leaned against the wall and waited, watching as Mom swept through the room, asking inane questions and generally getting in everyone's way. I wouldn't interfere unless she asked something embarrassing. I wouldn't put it past her. Dad followed in her wake, trying to explain procedure.

The imp she had spotted belonged to Charlie, back in the office with a cast. Pressed into service to cover my departure, I guess. With the way his leg was propped up, I was guessing he wouldn't be much help. Maybe he was here to cover in case of an attack? If so, the department was grasping at straws; a bum leg meant Charlie was in no shape to be here.

Where was Baron? Had they already sent him back home? Or was he the one out patrolling now, with the other team, while Charlie played at being backup? By my count, either way, we were short a summoner.

Well, they were short a summoner.

The door opened, and Karen strode out first.

"Just who I wanted to see."

She stopped with her customary grin. "You too Snow. Want a ride?"

"You read my mind... or you're going to pick up my replacement."

"That's what I like about you, Snow; you've got a pretty sharp mind." She told me.

Sarah and Roddy came out of the conference room; Roddy all but shouldered Karen aside.

Sarah, on the other hand, stopped, her emotions plain. "Snow, I... I can't do this. Sorry."

Grex snorted, and it was as loud as a shotgun blast in the mostly quiet room.

Karen glared at Roddy, for her part. "Asshole. He is so getting tacks on his seat when he leasts expects it.

I couldn't quite help myself. "Really, Karen?"

Karen steepled her fingers and rocked on her heels, taking ten years off her apparent age. "Maybe, but I confess nothing! I assume you're already packed?"

I nodded.

"Fine, let's go. No time like the present."

I held up a finger. "One Moment please, I've got one last thing to do here."

"Okay, sure thing. Is it picking up your desk crap? Because if it is, don't worry about it, it's going into storage."

"That's not it." I left her side and went to Dad.

"Dad, I'm leaving. I want you to do something for me."

I pressed the keys to the Newport in his hand. "Take care of my car."

I hugged him close and used the excuse to whisper in his ear: "Drive it. If something happens, get yourself and Mom in it as soon as possible."

I could see his eyes widen, but he didn't give the game away. "Sure, I can do that. Better than it sitting around gathering dust."

Mom decided to get in on the action, grabbing us both. "Goodbye honey, have fun at the war!"

Whatever; I hugged her. "Sure Mom. Take care of Dad, okay?"

Mom nodded so hard and fast her pendant bounced. "I will, honey! You don't have to worry about us at all!"

"Right, good to know. I'll see you when I see you."

"Six months," Karen said. Did she know what I was doing? Technically my car should be impounded because of all the protections. My own hum-vee probably already was - but she wasn't saying anything.

"Right, see you in six months."

We went to the elevator, and once again the red sea of people parted for me. Karen's eyes narrowed and she pronounced her verdict - loudly: "Idiots."

Once again the elevator was emptied out. We three got in and Karen pressed the button for the ground floor. The doors closed, and no one else tried to use it.

"Look, they will get over it. They just seem to have forgotten that death is always with us. Death and worse; it's not like the ADTF rank and file have a good retirement statistic. Heck, when polled, most of them even said they volunteered for the reason that the more altruistic of us summoners and military gave."

She made me curious despite myself. "What reason is that?"

"The realization that death by demon could happen to them anywhere, at any time, even if they retired. Just driving up to a fast food joint can end in death. Maybe it's because of the mostly peaceful nature of America, but this office seems to have forgotten that."

That was a good point.

"Don't worry, I'll help them come around. It's my job, after all."

That sounded ominous, but I couldn't really bring it in myself to care. Well, much.

Karen brightened. "It might even be that being your friend is better than being your enemy."

"Yeah, I wouldn't lay odds on that." I really shouldn't have said that.

Karen shrugged it off as the elevator doors opened. "Maybe not, I don't know. It's a gamble. He didn't kill you though, and he definitely could have, so maybe he wants your goodwill."

"Not sure I approve of his way of showing it."

"Well, I can't really argue with that. If he shows up again, you can ask him."

I had to stop a moment, and one of the uniforms almost fell to avoid running into me. I could almost feel Grex's smirk.

"Karen, you're insane. If I see him again, I'm going to run." Somehow, some way.

This time I could actually feel amusement from behind me. I doubt Grex would be as amused when I sent him against his former master to buy time as I ran. I still owned him for roughly nine and a half years.

I doubted if he attacked, whether it was forced or not, he would be spared.

Of course, if he died, so did the source of my power. If I was lucky, the Lord of Lies would lose interest when that happened. And then, of course, he would be completely merciful in his apathy and not slaughter me and torture my soul for all eternity. No, it was best that not happen; as long as I had power I could do something. Maybe I could even stall the war like Mom did, and buy us another generation. Surely that was worth - everything, right?

It said something about me that this was the best outcome I could see. Clearly, I was an optimist.

As Karen unlocked her vehicle I grabbed my bag; as soon as I could I threw it in the backseat of her ride and climbed in front.

"You don't need him out anymore," Karen said, pointing to my demon.

"I don't feel safe without him out. I'm pretty sure if he wants, the big S can go through this thing."

Karen raised an eyebrow as she turned the ignition. "The big S?"

"I don't want to name him, on the off chance that he's listening."

"Fair." She conceded as she pulled out, narrowly missing sideswiping a black and white.

We pulled out and not five minutes later, we were at Burger Barn. The same Burger Barn where the first demon I saw went berserk. Karen pulled us into the drive-thru.

"Really?"

Karen smirked. "My treat, for once. I missed lunch because of those stupid meetings. Trust me, we've got time."

I shrugged. Technically she as still a superior officer, and if she made us late I still wouldn't be AWOL.

The penalty for a summoner running was still death, last time I checked - but I doubted they would have the guts to follow through now. I'd just be shoved into the darkest most isolated hole they could find instead.

Karen didn't ask, instead ordering my usual from memory, for both of us. Her card was charged and her food handed over without a word; the girl working the window wasn't one I recognized. Was she new? New or not, she was scared. I checked the order; there was no spit or other foreign substances in it, and it was correct.

We pulled out, took the overpass and barely fifteen minutes later turned onto the base road.

"We've come full circle, huh?" Karen asked.

Huh; I guess we have. "Sort of. Heading off in your car to an uncertain fate, not knowing if I'll be dead in a month... Yea sounds familiar."

Karen laughed. "Nothing so melodramatic. Look, Snow, you're a quick learner, and you're strong. Stronger than your mother was. I can see how you might think this is us hanging you out to dry, but it isn't. Lots of things can go hidden in the front, in all the chaos. We're betting even the big S can't find you there unless he knows where to look."

Again I sensed amusement from Grex. Was that normal, to sense a demon's emotions? Perhaps it was a given time thing because it wasn't something I could do before.

If Karen knew just how strong I really was - she suspected some because all summoners sandbagged a little, but if she knew how much, just how I cleared my patrol zones of demonic attacks, I was sure something different would happen.

"But you already gave him the clue he'd need."

"Not at all, he thinks you're going to Paris, and it would normally make sense to send you there; it's dangerous, but not too dangerous; perfect for keeping summoners mostly safe, if they pay attention. But you? You can handle Russia, so that's where you're going."

If anything Grex was even more amused.

I wasn't; all of the summoners I'd asked about the war said that front was a death sentence. More importantly, only one of those summoners had actually been from the Russian front. Not a good anecdotal statistic.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." I didn't manage to completely scrub the sarcasm.

Karen either didn't notice or didn't care. "No problem, you earned it. Your clear rate is phenomenal, and you have good urban warfare experience now. Usually, the urban environments are the most lethal, so if you keep your head screwed on right, I'll be picking you up and we can talk about full circles again."

Right. "So, new guy? Tell me about him."

"New two guys, actually. I'm dealt with both, and one is kinda hot. Anyway, they just passed basic and the police need reinforcements. Both only have imps, but one is the son of an FBI agent, so we're hoping he's another born investigator."

"So, they getting my apartment?"

Karen snorted. "There's a hold on that apartment and right now no one else deserves it. There might be some cleaners in that place's future, but unless something strange happens, it'll be there when you get back."

Again, amusement from Grex. What was so funny now?

"Good, I wouldn't wish moving my furniture on anyone." That stuff was heavy.

Karen's voice turned somber as her gaze went back to the road. "I should probably tell you. We have confirmation; the CSI team found Cord's blood at the ritual site. Some other pieces too."

So the Cords I knew, was not the human Cords after all - but how did that work? How would the big S know about car shows and the internet and comm systems, if Cords wasn't in there somewhere?

Well, had been in there. I was petty sure we both knew where the rest of Cords ended up. Rest in peace, poor soul, I hope you escaped Hell at least.

"At least he didn't lie about that," it was only after I spoke that I realized I had.

"True," Karen told me. "But we can't be sure of anything else. If you do start making wedding plans though, let me know, alright? I want plenty of time to start running."

"No wedding plans so far. Though if it happens, I might just dub you maid of honor." Maybe she'd choke on that and shut up. I guess it was my fault for thinking out loud, but that didn't make it any easier to hear.

"I'd be honored, but I'd rather not get any closer to the big guy than necessary; there's only so much luck a person has, and I'm pretty sure I used the last of mine yesterday."

I'm pretty sure we both did, I wanted to say. But I wanted this conversation to end.

Mercifully, it did. We rode in silence while I ate in Karen's car and watched the desert pass. She didn't touch hers. I really shouldn't be eating this, I wasn't in the mood, but six months was a long time to go without.

I stole her fries while she wasn't looking. Grex was amused about that too.

I could see the base gate before Karen spoke again. "We're not throwing you to the wolves, you know? We aren't giving up, we're just playing for time. He's not invulnerable or unstoppable, there are rules. We'll find a way to stop him, keep him out. You just need to hold on until then."

She was still staring straight ahead, pulling to a stop. But I could read her after this long; she was at ease, relaxed.

"Okay."

The gate guard just took one look at Karen and waved us through, like the last time. I guess impersonating her - or us, complete with Grex - would be hard to pull off, but it still grated. Hadn't this guy heard about yesterday? Even with the desert, an attack here wasn't impossible.

Karen didn't stop in front of the tower, instead driving behind it and to the small airfield. It was a helicopter field, not suited for planes, but there were two transport choppers and two attack helicopters parked at the ready at any given time. Mostly to chase down runners.

One of the choppers, a bell Huey, was currently idling, the rotors already spinning.

"Sorry you don't get to meet the new guys," Karen said. "It was decided that you leave as soon as you got here."

"Has that chopper been idling an hour?" That seemed pretty wasteful.

"About that," She answered. "Like I said, the general is pretty committed to trying to do right by you. He isn't the only one, either."

Something like all this, and not a bullet in the head... must have cost in terms of political capital. Then again, maybe not. The big S was a wild card.

I got out, ducking instinctively because how could you not, and grabbed my bag out of the back.

"Come on, Grex."

"Good luck!" Karen yelled over the noise.

"Good luck with the new blood! See you in six!" I yelled back. Whatever happened, it really wasn't Karen's fault, and she was being herself.

"Thanks, I'll need it!" She clapped me on the back and ducked back into her car.

I ran for my new ride, the pilot was out checking something; He got in the back and offered a hand and a helmet. I took both.

The chopper was empty, save for us. I picked a seat and belted in and put the helmet on. The pilot waited while I did all this, ignoring Grex (as he should), then checked to make sure I'd buckled in correctly.

A crackle sounded in my left ear. "Sound check; can you hear me, lieutenant?"

"Yes I can," I checked his lapel. "Captain. Sorry I didn't salute?

"Don't worry about it lieutenant, and yeah you're coming through loud and clear. We'll be taking off as soon as we get to speed, and we'll be flying nonstop all the way to Shephards. I suggest if you need to use the facilities, you do so now."

"Thanks for your concern, but I'll be fine. At least until we land." So I'd be hoping on a plane in Texas. Probably a troop transport, delivering recruits. That was fine, I could deal with that - and true to form, Texas was a bit out of our standard routing from here, so it wouldn't be anyone's first choice in looking for me. Probably not even the second.

The pilot, whose name was Pearson, secured my bag, then shut the door; the noise dropped a little.

He ignored Grex entirely (an entirely appropriate thing to do) and walked up, clapping me on the shoulder.

"I'm sure you'll hear this a lot, Lieutenant, but I get to say it first. Welcome to the war."

FIN.

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The end?

Certainly hoping there is a sequel in the works, way to many dangling bits to this story that need resolved!

And well done, this has been one of my favorite stories for years.

Ending!?!?

northmiester's picture

NOOOOOoooooo!

Not what I was expecting........

D. Eden's picture

Not at all, and I sincerely hope that this isn’t truly the end.

Way too many unanswered questions, foremost among them - why???

Why Maeve? Why her family? What significance lies in the angel?

And of course, what happens next? Does Maeve survive the front? Does she make a difference? Does she make it home?

And of course, are their truly wedding plans in her future?

This story has not only been well written and filled with interesting characters, but it has been such an interesting departure from the usual formula of stories I have read that I have spent days trying to determine just where it was headed and where it would end up. I have anguished over waiting for the next chapter, and now I must hope that there will in fact be more.......

I sincerely hope so. You have created something unique and wonderful - I know that all good things come to an end, but I hope it doesn’t end here.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

This is the end of the Room

This is the end of the Room in Hell - remember, her apartment was displaced to another dimension, as I recall? Or at least, the door went there. So, she won't be in that room for a while. Now she's going next door to hell.

I'd still like to know what precisely was done to her mother to do the head mangling.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Ending? Thats upsetting.

I hope the story is continued. The entire thing is still wide open.

I wonder what the sequel will be named.

RIH

Wow what a way to finish with a proposal from the devil. He seems to want to hide her powers also or at least the extent of them. What is he trying to hide from the angels or is he just trying to keep her alive till he has a chance to carry out whatever he has planned. To war now and a whole new storyline, l can't wait to see what happens.

Regarding the end of RiH.

I did state, for the record, this was the end of the arc. That is a section of Maeve's life. If this were a play, it would be the end of act 1 (of 3) with a brief intermission for everyone to get snacks and go to the bathroom.

There is absolutely more to come before the full tale is told. I just need a small break to organize it before I begin telling the next arc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

I thank you for the story,

I thank you for the story, and do look forward of reading more stories about Mauve right up to the time she makes General.

Not Sure

Why the huge deal about big S. Especially for the summoners, the angel and his holy zealots seems much more lethal. The war is humans against demons, but the demons seem stupid and pitiful compared to Grex and, I guess, many other demons.

Lucifer's role should be to cause chaos, suffering and death, but it doesn't seem like he wants mega or giga deaths or he'd just do it. You know, start global thermonuclear war or something.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

"Those whom the gods wish to

"Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad" - see her mother.

I would look at it a bit differently. Look at Job, who was so loved by his god that he was tortured and tormented. Think about all the horrible things that have been done to those people who cultures see as being beloved by their god(s). Now look at what that would mean to someone who is being claimed by someone who doesn't even have the best of intentions towards much of anyone but himself.

Now, I would also put forward the expectation that Lucifer, much like God, cannot normally operate directly in the world. The opening to 'Hell', whatever that might be, allowed the Angels and the Demons to directly impact the world, which grants God and Lucifer some extra leeway - but I'd venture a guess that Lucifer can't DIRECTLY strike anything other than on a personal level. No "global thermonuclear war", but explode someone standing in front of them, sure. Also, he was summoned in a ritual and inserted in human flesh. Once the flesh was worn out, he had to leave - using too much power would likely have sped up that flesh being worn out.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Bibliophage,

You're not wrong on some of those guesses. L has several ways of sowing chaos... he's been doing it, in fact. Seeding mistrust, directing the subtle knife to part alliances.

As for the human flesh... he used a cheat to extend the time.That it also added some nice chaos was a bonus.

Everyone seems to be assuming L's goal here is the extermination of the human species. Don't be too sure; why would he need Maeve for that? Perhaps it is... but perhaps it isn't, or isn't his only goal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

The end goal is who gets the

The end goal is who gets the most souls, I'd think. They have to keep score somehow.

Just killing everyone off ends the game, and then you don't get anything new.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Room in Hell

Elsbeth's picture

Brilliant story, looking forward to the next volume.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.