Sister, Sister, Sister - 6

Printer-friendly version

Sister, Sister, Sister - Part 6
By Missy Crystal

Twelve year old Johnny wants to play Barbies with his sisters, but Barbies are for girls. How can Johnny join the game? A sweet, sentimental story about a young boy's discovery of the girl he should have been with the help of his sisters and mother. This is a story I wrote a couple of years ago and I am posting it here for those who would like to know more about Dr. Jenny Mitchell. It is complete, for those who anguish over being left hanging, but too long for a single post.

Saturday morning everyone was up bright and early. Our appointment wasn't until 11 o'clock, but three girls and one bathroom took some coordinating. Finally, Beth, Susie and I were ready. We went downstairs to wait for Mom.

"Hurry up, Mom," Beth called to her impatiently, "we don't want to be late."

"Calm down," Mom yelled back. "It only takes fifteen minutes to get to the mall and we have an hour. We won't be late."

The ten minutes it took before we heard her coming down the stairs seemed like an hour. When she came into the kitchen, I saw Beth's startled expression. Mom had on a pair of black slacks and a powder blue three quarter sleeve sweater with a cowl neck. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail with a black scrunchy.

Mom looked at Beth, then at me and Susie.

"What?" she asked her. "It's your day. I'm just the chauffeur. You're all in such a hurry. Let's get going."

Beth shrugged her shoulders. She knew better than to argue with Mom. We went outside and got into the car. Mom drove to the mall and found a parking space. We got out and went in the main entrance. Mr. Kenneth's salon was in the middle of the mall. I looked nervously about. Luckily, I didn't recognize anyone and we got to the salon unnoticed as far as I could tell. Mom opened the door and we went into the waiting area. Mom went up and told the receptionist that we had an appointment with Mr. Kenneth. She looked at us and smiled.

"Which one is the birthday girl?" she asked curiously.

I hesitated and Beth spoke up.

"My sister Jenny is."

She put her arm around my shoulder.

"It's Jenny's birthday," Susie chimed in, "but we're all getting our hair done. Isn't that right, Mommy?"

"Yes, Susie, dear," Mom confirmed.

"Please follow me girls," the receptionist said.

Beth, Susie and I trooped along behind her down the corridor, past lots of chairs with stylists working on customers and into Mr. Kenneth's private spa, where he had done my hair the first time we came. Mr. Kenneth was dressed in his usual black long sleeved shirt, buttoned at the cuffs and neck, and black pants. I was too shy to notice much about him before, but now I saw he was not much taller than Beth and very thin. He wore small diamond studs in both his ears. He caught me looking at him and smiled. I smiled back.

"Where is your mother?" he inquired.

We all looked behind us to find that Mom was not there.

Mr. Kenneth went to the phone.

"Yes, please bring her to me. No, no, tell her Mr. Kenneth requires her to be here."

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door and in came Mom looking very sheepish.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kenneth. I mean, I didn't know you wanted me. I thought it was just the girls."

"Really, Madam," Mr. Kenneth scolded her. "Is this not a family birthday for Jenny and are you not a part of this family?" Before Mom could answer, he went on, "then what is Madam doing outside when her family is inside? Sit, sit, sit, all of you sit," he said authoritatively.

We all found chairs.

"Now then, who's first?

Beth spoke up.

"It's Jenny's birthday, so she should be first."

"Ahh, the beautiful Beth."

Beth beamed at the compliment and the fact he remembered her name.

"Mr. Kenneth thinks not, however. Today we shall save Jenny for last. I think that it is you who Mr. Kenneth shall do first. Stand up."

Mr. Kenneth may have been small, but he had a commanding presence. Beth just about jumped out of her seat.

"Come over to the chair."

Mr. Kenneth placed a plastic cloak over her and then tilted the chair back so that her head was in the sink. He ran the water, testing it with his hand until he was satisfied with the temperature. He squeezed some shampoo from a bottle and the scent of apricots filled the room. He spent about five minutes lathering her hair and then another five minutes rinsing it clean. When he was satisfied, he helped her to sit up and adjusted the back of the chair. He kept the chair facing away from the mirror on the wall behind the sink.

"Umm, Mr. Kenneth," Beth murmured, "umm, I was looking in some hairstyling magazines a friend gave me and I thought, well, umm, I thought that maybe you... ."

"A magazine!" Mr. Kenneth interrupted her. "A magazine! Mr. Kenneth is to use a hairstyle from a magazine? Mr. Kenneth makes hairstyles for magazines. Perhaps Beth will take her magazine to the barbershop. I am sure that whoever cuts her hair will find it quite instructive."

"Oh, oh, oh, no, Mr. Kenneth, I'm sorry, I didn't, I never, I, I, I want you to do my hair. I just thought, I mean, I didn't think, I mean... ."

I had never seen Beth so flustered. Apparently Mr. Kenneth was not as insulted as he seemed. Having firmly established who was in charge, his demeanor softened.

"Miss Beth is sure she wishes to place herself in Mr. Kenneth's hands?"

Beth was a fast study.

"Oh, yes, yes, please, Mr. Kenneth. Please do my hair. Whatever you like. I will love it, I am sure."

"Very well then."

Mr. Kenneth began to circle around Beth. He took his hand and tilted her head forward, then backward, then side to side. He put his hand on her chin and angled her face. With his comb, he measured the sides and back. He stood back. He moved forward. It must have been at least five minutes before he took out his scissors and made the first snip. I saw Beth wince. Mr. Kenneth was so intent that he just went on cutting. Since he was between us and Beth towards the end, it was hard to see exactly what he was doing. Finally, he was satisfied and took out the blower and a styling brush. When he was finished, he turned Beth to face the mirror.

There was no doubt in my mind that Mr. Kenneth was a genius. It wasn't that he just did a good job cutting her hair. Somehow he knew her. Beth was simple and athletic. The style he used was perfect. The front was long and the sides were layered and angled up, tapering towards the back. It was stylish and manageable. It took a few seconds for Beth to take it all in. Then she let out a stream of 'Oh my Gods' that I am surprised didn't result in the receptionist calling 911.

"Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Mom. Oh my God."

Beth went on with about a dozen more 'Oh My Gods', with a few 'moms' thrown in. Finally, she got some of her composure back.

"I love it. Mr. Kenneth. I love it."

Then she slipped back into another string of 'Oh my God's' as she studied herself in the mirror.

"I take it that Miss Beth is not disappointed," Mr. Kenneth said with false modesty.

Beth's response was to throw her arms around Mr. Kenneth. Since they were about the same size and Beth was a pretty solid girl, it took all of Mr. Kenneth's effort to keep from collapsing in a pile on the floor. After a minute of putting up with her expression of gratitude, he gently pried himself loose. By now Beth had calmed down and she walked over to Mom to let her see her new hairstyle close up. Mom nodded approvingly at Mr. Kenneth, who, of course, accepted it routinely.

"Next I believe it is sweet Miss Susie."

I think she liked being called miss, but not the sweet part. Then again, she did look sweet. She had picked out her favorite pink corduroy jumper, a white cotton blouse with a round collar, white tights and pink and white saddle shoes. Mr. Kenneth put a booster seat in the chair and helped Susie up. He then went through the same wash and rinse routine, except that as he was toweling her hair, he stopped, made some tisk, tisk, tisk sounds and turned to Mom.

"Madam, please refrain from using a bowl to cut your daughter's hair."

Mom pretended to study the top of her shoes.

Mr. Kenneth turned back to Susie and began to snip. Like Beth, it was hard to see what he was doing until he had blown her hair out. Like before, Mr. Kenneth was a genius in picking a style that suited Susie. This time he had rounded her bangs so that they framed her face and continued rounding the sides and back. It was girlish, but not babyish.

Susie was less emotional than Beth, but it was obvious that she was thrilled with her hairstyle. She ran over to Mom to show it to her, and then paraded over to Beth and me with her hand on her hip, like she was a model. I looked over and caught Mr. Kenneth with the beginning of a smile, before he returned to his professional look.

"And now," Mr. Kenneth announced, "it is my delightful Jenny's turn."

I stood up and went over to the chair. Mr. Kenneth removed the booster seat, put the plastic cape over me and I sat down. The water was hot and I was surprised at how strong Mr. Kenneth's hands were as he massaged my head to work up a lather. After he finished the routine, he sat me up and studied me.

"It's okay, Mr. Kenneth," I assured him. "I understand that there is not much you can do with a unisex cut. I have to go back to school as a boy. But thank you for trying."

Mr. Kenneth stood back and looked down his nose at me.

"Mr. Kenneth can do nothing? You think so? Wait and see my dear Jenny what Mr. Kenneth can do."

Mr. Kenneth proceeded to trim my hair. It had gotten a little longer since my last cut. When he was finished he turned me to the mirror. The sides were layered, the front, when my hair was pulled forward, had a suggestion of bangs and the back was evened up. Altogether, a little more feminine, but still not a girl's style. Mr. Kenneth must have read my face.

"Was my delightful Jenny right? Could Mr. Kenneth do nothing? Then again, perhaps he can do something after all."

He walked over to a cabinet, opened the door and took out a round box with a red ribbon on top. He brought it back and put it in my lap.

"Happy birthday, my pretty Jenny."

"Oh, Mr. Kenneth. Really, you shouldn't have. You don't need to give me a present. You have already done more than enough for me and my family."

"Of course Mr. Kenneth does not need to give you a present. Mr. Kenneth wants to give you a present. Would you insult him by refusing his gift? He would be heartbroken."

Mr. Kenneth pretended to be sad, dabbing his eyes with a piece of tissue.

It did not take much encouragement for me to change my mind. I untied the ribbon and took the top off the box. Inside I saw hair. I stuck my hand in to take whatever it was out.

"No, no, Jenny, gently. Let me."

Mr. Kenneth reached in and carefully pulled out the most beautiful wig I had ever seen. Well actually it was the only wig I had ever seen. It was shoulder length, honey blonde with soft waves and ringlets on the sides. I heard Mom and my sisters gasp as Mr. Kenneth held it up.

"Let me show you how to wear it. First, you must pull your own hair back. Like this."

He took a brush, stroked my hair into his hand and used an elastic to gather it behind my head. Then he picked up the wig, adjusted a draw string inside it and placed it on my head. The feeling of having long hair falling over my shoulders was ecstasy. Mr. Kenneth fussed with a comb and brush until every curl was in place. Finally, he took some bobby pins and used them to attach the wig to my own hair. I looked in the mirror. A beautiful young girl looked back at me. I stood up and slowly walked over to my family. I could feel the hair flowing around my face as I walked, swinging my hips slightly and feeling the pleated skirt swish against my legs. I could not have felt prettier or more feminine. Beth and Susie rushed over to see the wig close up. They couldn't stop gushing about how beautiful I looked.

Mom walked over to Mr. Kenneth. I have never seen her become emotional, but her eyes were moist. She bent forward and kissed him on the cheek.

"Mr. Kenneth," she said softly. "I love my daughters very much and I love you for being so kind to them. I am very grateful and can never repay your generosity."

She sniffled and wiped her nose with a tissue.

"Madam is most gracious. But we are not finished. What is a birthday without a party? If the lovely young ladies would go to the ice cream parlor and ask for Bruce, I have arranged for a small celebration. Now hurry along. I have much to do with your mother."

We all looked at him in shock.

"With me?" Mom questioned Mr. Kenneth. "No, you have done too much already. I couldn't."

"Madam, Mr. Kenneth does what Mr. Kenneth does and right now Mr. Kenneth is doing you. It is a challenge I have looked forward to for quite some time. Go ahead and don't rush back girls. The impossible takes Mr. Kenneth longer."

As we went through the waiting area, the receptionist gave us a confused look. I just smiled and scooted out the door. The ice cream parlor was at the end of the mall. Beth took my arm and I held Susie's hand. The wig gave me new confidence and Beth noticed the change.

"My goodness, Jenny, chin up, big smile, aren't we the sassy one today." She giggled and tugged at my arm, pulling me next to her and whispering in my ear. "Better be careful or all the boys will want a date with the new blonde in town."

She playfully bumped into me with her hip and I bumped her back. We both broke out in giggles. Susie wanted to know what was so funny and I told her that Beth was boy crazy.

"Ewww," was Susie's reply.

I nodded my agreement and she giggled. That got us all giggling so much that we had to stop. By coincidence, we were standing in front of a fancy lingerie shop. The pretty panties and bras in the window caught Beth's eye.

"Oh, Jenny. Aren't those really sexy," she bubbled, pointing to a skimpy pair of red panties with black lace trim and a matching bra. "C'mon."

Before I could say no, she was through the open doorway. Since we were still arm in arm, I stumbled in with her. Since I was holding Susie's hand, she was dragged in after me.

"Beth," I said under my breath, "can't you do this when I'm not with you? What if someone starts asking me questions, like what size I am? What do I tell them? 'Doh, I don't know. I just wear my big sister's hand me downs?' Please, let's go."

"Calm down, Jenny. That's not the way it works. They expect you to try on different sizes, because different styles fit you differently. You pick out what you want and take it into the dressing room. See."

She pointed to a woman going towards the back of the store with a collection of bras.

"You always try on bras before you buy them to make sure they fit and are comfortable, unless it's a style you've worn before. Of course, you have to try panties on over your own panties for hygiene."

I made a face.

"Thank you very much for the lingerie lesson, but I think I'll leave the panty and bra buying to you and Mom. I've got too little on top and too much elsewhere to be trying them on in the store."

For some reason, Beth thought that was hysterical. She started laughing.

"Too little, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, too much, ha, ha, ha, ha, oh, Jenny, ha, ha, you're too, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, funny, I can't stop, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

I tugged on her arm.

"Beth, please, control yourself. Everyone in the store is staring out us. Beth, really! Please, stop. You're making a scene."

Beth quieted down, but it was too late. A salesgirl came over to us.

"Hello, girls. Having fun?" She was young and very pretty. "Is there something special I can help you with? This is the women's section, you know. We have some really nice juniors lingerie over there." She pointed to another area of the store. "Come along."

I was afraid I would draw even more attention to myself if I hesitated, so I meekly followed. Beth gave me a funny look, shrugged her shoulders and came too.

"Jenny, I thought you said you weren't interested in buying bras and panties," she whispered to me.

"Shhh," I whispered back. "I'm not. But I don't want her to know that. You're the one that got me into this. Now let's just tell her we have to meet our mother and leave. I'm about to wet my panties I'm so nervous and then I really will need to buy new ones."

Beth started laughing again. I gave her a dirty look.

"Stop it, I'm not kidding," I warned her, although there was no possibility of making good on my threat.

When we arrived at the display racks, the saleswoman picked out a white bra and showed it to me.

"This is one of our most popular styles. See. It has removable pads in the cups. It gives you a cute figure and then, when your own develop, you can take them out or keep them in to increase your cup size. Would you like to try it on? The dressing rooms are over there. It also comes in beige, pink and black. Here," she handed it too me.

Wow, I thought to myself. She thinks I'm a girl and that I'm going to have real breasts! Then I looked over at Beth. She was obviously enjoying herself. I gave her another dirty look and she finally came to my rescue.

"Thank, you miss, but our mother is waiting for us and we really need to get going. My sister and I will come back another time. Won't we Jenny?"

"Yes, definitely" I said with pretend enthusiasm. Then tugging on her arm I added emphatically, "But right now we really must meet mother. She will be very upset if we keep her waiting."

We started to leave and the salesgirl called after us, "My name is Debbie. I work on the weekends. Please ask for me."

We continued on to the ice cream parlor. Of course, hanging around outside was a group of boys from Beth's school.

"Hey, Beth," one of them said.

What's up," said another.

"Who's your friend?" asked a third.

"Hi, Billy. Hi, Ed. Hi, Doug," Beth casually replied, "Oh, this is my cousin. She's staying with us for a while."

"Cool," the first boy said.

"Yeah, cool," the other two echoed.

The first boy looked at me and asked, "What's your name?"

I smiled and said, "Jenny. What's yours?"

He smiled back. "I'm Billy," and then he boldly added, "do you want to go out sometime?"

I looked over at Beth. From her expression, it was obvious she was waiting to see what I would say to being asked on my first date.

I said shyly, "Oh, thank you so much, but my mother doesn't let me date when I am visiting." I fluttered my eyelashes and fussed with my hair, the way I had seen Beth do when she was talking to boys. I turned to Beth. "Let's go, please."

"See you in school guys," Beth called to them as we headed into the shop.

"Bye Beth. Bye Jenny," they called after us.

"Wow," Beth remarked, "that was a great." Then she kidded me, "are you sure you aren't a girl and you've just been pretending to be my brother all these years?"

"I can show you the proof," I kidded her back.

Not to be outdone, she challenged me, "okay, Miss smarty panties, go ahead."

Not to be outdone either, I reached down and started to flip up my skirt.

"Eeek!" Beth exclaimed. "Jenny, where is your modesty. Flashing your panties in public. Really!" She laughed. "Okay, I give up. You win, Sis." She put her arm around me and gave me a hug." She paused. "You weren't really serious were you?"

"I guess you'll never know," I teased her.

Susie finally lost her patience. "Beth, Jenny," she demanded, "stop fooling around and let's get to our party."

Beth went up to the cashier.

"May we see Bruce, please," she said politely.

The casher turned to one of the waitresses and asked her to get Bruce. She went into the kitchen and a few minutes later a man in a white jacket came out.

The cashier told him, "these girls asked for you."

I'm awful with ages. I would guess Bruce was in his twenties. He was tall and thin, with short silver blonde hair.

"Hi," he greeted us, which one of you is Jenny?"

I moved forward.

"Me."

"And this must be Beth," he said.

She smiled and nodded.

"And this young lady must be Susie."

She just stood shyly behind Beth.

"Everything is ready. Please follow me."

He started towards the back of the shop.

The ice cream parlor at the mall was a popular place for kids' birthdays and we had all been in the party room before. It had a long table with benches and a fancy throne chair for the birthday boy or girl at the end. We didn't expect much of a party with only the three of us, so we were very surprised when we walked in. It was all decorated with balloons and streamers. Bruce saw our expressions.

"Mr. Kenneth goes all out," he confirmed. "Jenny, you get the seat of honor. Susie, you sit there and Beth, here. I'll be right back to get the party started, but for now why don't you get in the mood and put on your party hats."

I looked down and there was a gold plastic tiara. I picked it up and put it gently on my head. It had little combs on the bottom that held it in place. Beth and Susie had silver ones. They both put theirs on. There were also party pipes. Susie picked hers up and blew it out with a razzing noise.

"Come on you two," Susie challenged us.

We humored her and blew ours. Then we got silly and started having a party pipe duel with a chorus of razzes as the paper curls extended. The thin paper didn't last long, which didn't matter, because by then Bruce was back. Two waitresses followed him. The lights dimmed and he moved a menu that had been hiding the cake. They started singing happy birthday. Beth and Susie joined in.

"Happy birthday, dear Jenny," they sang, "happy birthday, to youuuuuu." Everyone clapped.

"Now," Bruce encouraged me, "make a wish and blow out the candles."

I closed my eyes and silently recited the lines from Pinocchio: "Star light, star bright, I wish I may, wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight. I wish to be a real girl."

Candles probably weren't as powerful as stars for granting wishes, but it worked for him and he was a made of wood, so I had a head start I figured. Then I opened my eyes and blew out all the candles.

Beth looked at me.

"I know your wish, Jenny," she said sympathetically.

"Shhh," I held my finger to my lips, "if you say it, then it won't come true."

She blew me a kiss.

"For luck, my dear sister."

Susie didn't understand, but she decided it was a nice thing to do and blew me a kiss too.

Bruce cut the cake. He went out and came back a few minutes later with three hot fudge sundaes. I realized that it had been a long time since breakfast and started to dig in. Then I looked over and saw Beth daintily spooning small portions. I unloaded my spoon and did the same. Of course Susie had not learned the refinements of being a lady yet and was happily eating her ice cream and cake without concern for her appearance.

After about fifteen minutes, Bruce returned. He was holding three small blue boxes with gold ribbons. I guessed they were some sort of party favor the shop gave out. He looked at the tags on the boxes and handed them out. We each undid the ribbon. Beth was the first to open hers.

"Oh my God," Beth exclaimed.

You could always tell how excited or surprised she was by the number of them in a row. It was six. Not quite a record, compared to her earlier outburst in Mr. Kenneth's salon, but there was obviously something very wonderful in the box. I opened mine.

"Holy cow!" I exclaimed.

Inside mine was a gold necklace with a heart shaped gold charm with 'Jenny' engraved in script. I wasn't much of an authority on jewelry, but I guessed that if it came from Mr. Kenneth it was real gold. Beth held hers up. It was a gold bracelet with a heart shaped gold charm engraved with 'Beth'. Susie opened hers and it was the same as Beth's, except for the name.

"Eeek!" she squealed with delight. "Look, Jenny. My very own bracelet, with my name on it. Please put it on me."

She handed it to me. I undid the clasp and put it around her wrist. Mr. Kenneth must have been a very good judge of girls' sizes, because it fit her perfectly. Beth also had put hers on and was holding her wrist up to admire it.

"Jenny, let me put your necklace on you," she offered.

I handed it to her and bent down. When I straightened up, the charm was hanging just below my collar.

"Here, Jenny."

Beth had taken her compact out of her pocket book and was holding the mirror so I could see. It was gorgeous. My first very own piece of jewelry. Maybe my wish was coming true and I imagined I was slowly changing into a real girl. My daydream was interrupted by Beth.

"Oh, Bruce, thank you so much for the wonderful party. It was the nicest birthday ever, really."

She went over to him, stood on her tip toes and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Yes," I agreed. "Thank you so much for everything."

I went over, stood on my tiptoes and gave him a kiss on the cheek too. It would have felt funny for Johnny to kiss a man, but it felt right for Jenny. Beth gave me a nod of approval.

"We really should get back to the salon and thank Mr. Kenneth," Beth told us. "Susie, Jenny, let's go. Thanks again, Bruce."

We waved goodbye as we headed towards the door. Luckily, the boys had left by then. We hurried through the mall and rushed into the waiting area, past the receptionist and up to Mr. Kenneth's private room. We opened the door and went in. Mr. Kenneth was facing us. He was holding a small brush and working on the makeup of the woman in the chair. She had her back to us and Mr. Kenneth was between her and the mirror, so all I could see was her shoulders and the back of her head. She had on a white tank top and beautiful auburn hair in a soft wave which covered the top of her neck. Beth stopped short.

"Oh, my. I'm sorry Mr. Kenneth. I just thought, I mean, we expected, I mean, you know, that Mom would still be here? We were having such a nice time at the party we weren't watching the time. Did she leave?"

Mr. Kenneth's answer was puzzling.

"Mr. Kenneth is a magician, of course, better than those on stage."

We had no idea what he was talking about. He waved his hands in the air.

"Mr. Kenneth changes a mouse into a movie star."

He slowly turned the chair around. It took me a minute to realize that the woman was Mom. She must have been wearing the tank top under her sweater.

For as long as I can remember, Mom had not paid attention to her looks. She rarely wore makeup, except for lipstick, and she usually had her hair in a pony tail or clipped up for work. I couldn't even remember what color it was. Brownish, I guessed. When she did get it cut, it was at the same place that trimmed ours. Mr. Kenneth was right. Mr. Kenneth was a magician. Mom was beautiful. I looked at Beth. Her jaw had dropped and she was speechless.

Susie broke the silence.

"Mommy, is that really you?"

"Yes, sweetheart, it's really me." It was definitely Mom's voice. "Kenneth has managed to turn the ugly duckling into a swan."

"Ah, no. Carol is too kind. Even a great artist can do no better than the materials he has to work with."

Mom blushed.

Carol? Kenneth? And a compliment from the man who was never modest about himself. This was all too weird. Beth must have been thinking the same thing. We shrugged our shoulders at each other. Then Susie ran over to show Mom her bracelet.

"See, its gold and it has my name on it. Isn't it pretty. Beth got one too. And Jenny got a necklace."

Mom walked over to us and admired our new jewelry.

"Oh, Kenneth, really, you will spoil the girls. You have been too kind. I don't know what to say."

"Carol will say that she will return in two weeks, so that she and her daughters do not look like ragamuffins. Carol will also say that I will take her shopping for new clothes at my friends' boutiques. The mother of three beautiful girls must herself dress fashionably."

Of course, we beamed at being called beautiful. Mom looked embarrassed that Mr. Kenneth did not like her clothes.

"If Carol will be so kind as to leave her address and telephone number, I will call for her tomorrow morning at 10."

He handed Mom a piece of paper and a pen. Mom was obviously flustered. I am sure she had not expected a date with Mr. Kenneth.

"Kenneth, really, I couldn't. You have done too much for us already. Perhaps I can go with the girls and buy a few things. I'm sure you must have better things to do, than take me shopping."

"Ah, well then, Carol knows my schedule," Mr. Kenneth said with mock sarcasm. "How convenient. In fact, I have already planned to spend tomorrow with you. Now," he said with an obviously pretend sadness, "will you be so cruel as to take away the pleasure of completing my work of art. Would Galatea break Pygmalion's heart?"

I hadn't a clue as to what Mr. Kenneth was talking about, although I was pretty sure that whatever it was, he would get over it if Mom said no. I looked at Beth. She was clueless too.

To my astonishment, Mom actually flirted with him.

"Oh, Kenneth, you do go on so. But, it would be my pleasure to accompany you, if it would make your heart smile, the way you have made ours smile today."

Okay, this was really, really too weird. Mom carrying on with our hairdresser? Then again, I thought to myself, Mr. Kenneth is a treasure. We could do worse. Mom went over to one of the chairs and picked up her sweater. She started to put it on, but stopped when Mr. Kenneth gave her a disapproving look.

"Swans do not wear duck's feathers," he told her.

Mom put the sweater over her shoulders. Mr. Kenneth nodded.

"Let's go girls," she directed us.

"Bye, Mr. Kenneth," Susie said.

"Bye, Mr. Kenneth," Beth said. "And thank you," she added sincerely.

"Bye, Mr. Kenneth," I said. "This was the best birthday ever. Thank you so, so much."

"Jenny, wait!" Mr. Kenneth called as I was just going out the door. "You forgot your wig case." He walked over and handed me the round box. "There's a stand and special brush in there, so that you can do your hair." Then he bent down and said softly, so only I could hear, "I am looking forward to the day that I can style your own hair."

I whispered back to him, that was my birthday wish, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone or it won't come true."

Then I kissed him on the cheek. I don't know what it was, but Jenny was really getting into the kissing thing.

I caught up with my family and we went to Mom's car. Susie was sitting dreamily and Beth and I talked girl talk about what kinds of clothes Mom should buy for her new wardrobe. Of course, Beth wanted her in miniskirts and stretchy tops. I couldn't picture Mom looking sexy. We were dying to ask Mom what went on with her and Mr. Kenneth, but we agreed that it was none of our business. When we got home, Mom asked us what we wanted to do. Beth was excited about seeing her friends and showing off her new hairstyle. She was sure they would all die with envy. Susie asked Mom if she could go over to Mrs. Johnson's and show off her new bracelet. That left just me. I offered to walk Susie over to Mrs. Johnson's. Actually, she was one of the few people who I could show off my wig to and I also wanted to talk to her.

TO BE CONTINUED

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow, Missy!

Mr. Kenneth is over the top cool! I'd love to have him style my hair, only I'm afraid he'd want to cut too much off, can't allow that. I hope there isn't a hidden bad streak in him. He certainly has taken a liking to the mom, interesting!

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

wow way cool.

hey way cool looks like we gonna see more of jenny and her famley .
verry cool ,have a good one love ,oldhippie

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Could We Be Seeing?

A possible Daddy for the girls?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Altho some male hairdressers

Altho some male hairdressers are gay, not all are, they just love to do creative hair styles and men simply don't have that many they can wear, so the hairdressers gravitate to doing women's hair. Perhaps Mr. Kenneth fits in the latter group. He definitely knows how to treat ladies and even if he is gay, that is a real plus in my book. J-Lynn