Tammy:Deathtrap - Part 10 "Character Assassination"

Printer-friendly version
 Deathtrap collaboration with Alecia Snowfall  

Part
 
Ten

 

"Character Assassination"

 

 
Saturday 26th November 2016
 

That morning's copy of the Scotsman bore the photo of Fidel Castro, who had died the day before. Tammy read through the obituary as she had breakfast, wondering if there was potential for revolution in her own life.

She made a point to be in the theatre a little earlier than normal, so no-one was waiting outside when she arrived. The 'B' Cast, thankfully, arrived promptly.

"This is a full dress rehearsal, please get changed. Tomorrow, a make-up artist will be here."

There were a few groans as one of the cast remembered he'd double booked himself.

"My aunt's staying tonight and I have to go to church tomorrow morning; it's the nearest Sunday to St Andrews Day."

"As you're playing Porter Milgrim, and you don't appear until the second Act, I'm sure we'll cope."

Tammy wasn't sure, but had no choice and no time to argue, they had to rehearse.

During the interval between the acts, Tammy phoned the understudy for Porter, James McInlay.

"I know I said we wouldn't probably need you, but are you available in the morning?"

"Sure, is there a problem?"

"It looks like it, but is there any chance of being here by lunchtime so I can explain?"

"Okay, Tammy, can do. You'll owe me!"

Fleur and Dr McIntosh arrived during the interval and settled a few rows back.

The second act started and Tammy was satisfied they could put on a credible performance. It was just as well, this cast were opening the season, with the press night. As it was, very few seats remained for the other five performances, so the press coverage wasn't going to be as effective as it might.

The B cast slipped out at half twelve and Tammy waited in the green room for the A cast to arrive.

She could hear Tom as he walked onto the stage.

"That silly bitch isn't here." Tammy couldn't work out who Tom was talking to, but stayed out of sight. It was several minutes later when she heard Tom laughing, Tammy rushed out just in time to stop Lucy fleeing, in tears.

"Tom, Mr Lake, get out of here."

"I ain't done anything?"

"I don't like bullies and I won't accept it in this theatre. Go!"

Tom looked around the stage but didn't see any support, Fleur had now made her way up from the stalls and was talking to Lucy. Tom finally left the stage, Steven McIntosh had circled around to the carpark to watch Tom's departure - just in case.

"Now, let me be clear, I won't stand for anything like that. Either you're committed to making the play work or you're out of here. Do I make myself clear?"

There were a a few mumbles but no-one made an effort to follow Tom.

"Good, please get changed, this is a dress rehearsal. Don't forget we're back here tomorrow as well, when we'll have a make-up artists as well."

"Tammy, I guess I know why you asked me to be here?"

"Yes, James, but I wasn't sure I would be dismissing Tom like that."

"What about tomorrow?"

"Sorry about this, but its going to be a long day for you. Fortunately Tom was also playing Porter."

"Yeah, good job I had nothing planned!"

Lucy was playing Helga and turned in an excellent performance, as did the rest of the A Cast. They were now the better of the two casts, not that Tammy was planning to change the performances.

"Well done, Tammy."

"Thanks, Sir, er Steven."

"You handled that well, I'll make sure the board knows."

"Do you have to?"

"I'm afraid so, the programme is due to be printed on Monday and there has to be a change. Apart from that, we wouldn't like Tom to appear in any other production, would we?"

"Of course not."

Tammy waited for the cast to change back into their street clothes.

"Well done everyone, same time tomorrow please. Don't forget you're doing the schools performance on Friday afternoon and Saturday's matinee."

Tammy caught up with James just before he left.

"I feel I should make up for ruining your weekend, James?"

"You don't have to?"

"Castletown Hotel, six thirty?"

"Is that a date, Tammy?"

"Possibly."

Back at home she was getting restless as there was still no communication from Kerri, Dave Brown, or anyone else. She tried the email that had initially connected her to the American agent but that link now went nowhere.

error

She dived into the shower as soon as she'd chosen the right frock for that evening.

 
Sunday 27th November 2016
 

Tammy woke to hear a storm outside of her window, but it didn't matter. By eight she was in the kitchen, showered and dressed for the day.

"Morning, Mum."

"Morning, Tammy, what time did you get back last night?"

"Not long before midnight."

"And?"

"And I'm a big girl now."

"I know, Tammy, but I still worry."

"Yeah."

"What I would like to know, did you enjoy yourself?"

Tammy smiled. "He was a perfect gentleman. A few drinks, then dinner, followed by a few more drinks."

"What does he do?"

"Hey, enough questions!"

She took care on the drive down to the theatre, a tree was down just outside town but the road was passable. Fleur met her at the theatre.

"So?"

"So, what, Fleur?"

"How was it? I popped in the hotel last night and spotted a candlelit dinner for two."

"It was fine, thank you."

There was movement behind Tammy and she spun around to find James, grinning.

"Just fine, was I?"

"Hmmmm, maybe a little better than that!"

He went to kiss Tammy but she stepped back. "No, this is work! Time's pressing, go to the dressing room!"

Tammy checked on the two girls first, Joanne was already setup and was working her magic.

"Good evening, was it?"

"Not you as well!"

"I'll extract the information under torture, if I have to!"

"I dare you!"

Tammy left quickly and went to the boys dressing room, she didn't go in but just listened outside the door. James was chatting to the two other lads but the previous evening wasn't being mentioned.

They got under way a little later than normal, but this was the final rehearsal and Tammy wanted everything to be just as it would, on the night.

The B Cast were now tight, they worked well together, and Tammy was satisfied they could cope with Thursday's press night.

By the time they were back in the dressing rooms, the A Cast was arriving, minus Tom. Lucy wasn't looking good, Tammy took her aside.

"What's happened?"

"He started texting me last night, blaming me. It got nasty. He was texting this morning too."

"I hope you didn't respond?"

"No, I had mum call Uncle Iain."

"What will he do?"

"He wouldn't tell me but I have to give him my phone."

"When?"

"He'll pick me up when we're done."

"Okay, I'm sure the Chief Inspector can handle this."

"I hope so."

"Right, go see Joanne, she's waiting for you in the dressing room."

Once again the rehearsal went well. Tammy had wondered that morning if she shouldn't have insisted on a midweek final rehearsal, but this wasn't an overly complex play with just five actors and two acts. The same doubts came back to her but she dismissed them; this was Thurso and not the West End or Broadway.

Iain Davison had arrived during the interval but hadn't been seen by Lucy, Tammy made no attempt to speak to him until the actors had left the stage at the end of the performance.

"I understand you persuaded Lucy to stay, Tammy?"

"We can't give in to bullies, Iain. What's happening with Tom?"

"I'm sorry Tammy, but I can't tell you. In any case, I can't handle this because of my family connection."

"So you're not here in an official capacity?"

"Not at all, I'll just give my niece a lift home; she did well."

"They all did."

"Of course."

Tammy went in search of Joanne, finding her in the Green Room.

"Thanks for helping out."

"I enjoy it, all the girls got one of my business cards and I expect to see them before Thursday - you too."

"Really?"

"Come on Tammy, you are going to be on display on Thursday, at least make a little effort."

"Okay, okay, I'll call Sandy in the morning for a Thursday afternoon appointment."

"No need, you're booked with me at three thirty and Sandy at four."

"Thanks, I think."

"Thank me afterwards. Now, when is your next date with James?"

"That was a thank-you for helping me out."

"Not according to my sources!"

"Look, Joanne, when I need advice about relationships I know where to go, in the meanwhile ....."

"Okay, okay, but don't lose him."

Tammy was waiting on the stage as each of the cast came back from changing.

"Thank you everyone, very well done. There are seats at the press night for you plus a guest, please be here."

"Well done dear."

Tammy looked around, finding Anne McIntosh. "I didn't know you were here, Anne?"

"I've been telling Steven for weeks that I wanted a look at the production, I'm so glad I did."

"Will you be here on the press night?"

"Unfortunately no, but I'm helping one of the schools on Friday."

"I'll look out for you."

"Don't worry yourself, Tammy, the theatre will be packed and I need to keep an eye on my band of cherubs!"

"I didn't think we were getting the young ones, because of the murder scenes?"

"The Year Six children are the only Primary School ones coming, that's where I come in. The High School is sending Years Seven through to Ten, there may even be a bus load from St Andrews?"

"Well, I hope they are all well behaved!"

Tammy noticed that James was waiting, patiently. Tammy checked the backstage area and then a quick tour of the front of house, to ensure everyone had left. She felt a little pensive as she pushed the door into the male toilets, so she could make sure no-one was still there. Clearly she didn't have the same reticence with the ladies loos.

Finally she reached the stage door, where James was now stood.

"Sorry about that, I don't want to risk locking anyone in."

"Okay, did you want to go for a drink?"

"We both have cars here and I'm tired, maybe in the week?"

"If you insist." He gave Tammy a kiss then walked towards his vehicle, giving her a wave as he went.

Tammy's was the only car still left outside the theatre, a minute later the carpark was empty.

Back at home Tammy realised just how tired she was, and didn't finish her dinner. That had Joan checking Tammy for a fever.

"You're overdoing it, just as I predicted."

"No mum, I told you this weekend would be intensive, I've done absolutely nothing but work on the play for the past two days."

"What about the other work?"

"I did about two hours during the whole of last week, the rest of the time I was doing coursework. That's not overwork. I'm back at the university tomorrow, for a rest."

Tammy excused herself and went upstairs for a shower, doing her best not to get her hair wet as her next destination was bed. A notification was blinking on her tablet, but it could wait.

 
Monday 28th November 2016
 

"Good morning everyone and thanks to all who have submitted their work. For the rest of you, why not?"

Donald Templeton was addressing the combined students from three centres, including Thurso, in the same lecture theatre as two weeks earlier. Tammy was sat at the back, again, so she could observe without being in the lecturer's permanent view.

"As you'll have gathered from the homework, we're shifting focus and we'll be looking at society and social issues for the rest of this semester."

That generated a few groans from those in the lecture theatre, as well as the groups joining by video feed.

"I'm going to handover to Miriam Stokes who will talk about workplace harassment and stalking. For those who did the latest coursework, this will be familiar territory."

"More familiar than you think," uttered Tammy, quietly.

The lecture, of the 'Death By Powerpoint' variety, was split in to two, with a very welcome coffee and pee break. There were only ten minutes available for questions when Miriam finished her presentation with a scramble to get out as Donald called "check your emails for the slides, and the next coursework."

"Miss Smart?"

Tammy headed towards the lectern.

"Yes, Sir?"

"I'm told you handled a harassment case at the weekend?"

"I did, but I don't think it's appropriate to discuss it?"

"Why not?"

"Because if I say anything to identify the bully, it could also identify the victim and that I won't do. In any case it is now the subject of a Police investigation."

"I see."

"How did you find out?"

"I told him, Miss Smart, one of my nieces was in the theatre on Saturday. It would have been a very good example, but you are correct in your assessment."

"Indeed, Ms Stokes, but are you now guilty of spreading this information without knowing the full story? That's how disinformation, and rumourmongering can start?"

"Correct, a very professional approach."

"Thank you, please excuse me as I'm needed somewhere else."

Tammy wasn't due elsewhere at all, but wasn't comfortable continuing that conversation.

Tammy's first instinct was to see Sarah, but that would have meant parking by Caithness Maritime, in view of the cameras, so she went home. Her parents were out but Zara had prepared a pastie for her lunch.

"How did you know I'd be here?"

"Your father said it was likely."

"Oh, thanks anyway."

She ate in the kitchen, skimming that morning's Scotsman. Pru found her in there fifteen minutes later.

"There's a call for you."

"I'll take it in my room."

"It's on the secure phone, they won't say who they are but asked for you by name."

"Oh."

Tammy let herself into the study and glanced at the display for a clue to the caller, finding gibberish.

"Hello?"

"Hey there. Forget to check your email?"

"Kerri?"

"That's right. Good Job!" Kerri laughed.

"Sorry, I've been busy. What did you find?"

"Good news, bad news Tamara Smart. You have become persona non grata in several spheres of UK Intelligence."

"What?"

"The Intelligence Oversight Chairman has been handed evidence that you have associated with persons who are a threat to the UK, slamming you by association. Your ASS; is flapping in the breeze, girl."

"That's rubbish!"

"I know that. A couple of other people do, too. Nobody else cares. Better you than them."

"Why? What have I done, Kerri?"

"Ask SIS, they started your current shit-storm. That's the who and what, no clue about why."

"Bloody MI6 are playing games with me? I missed your good news."

The American said flatly. "All that was the good news. No illusions here, girl. No games. They're out to destroy you. Point-blank, Full-stop. And they'll do it too, unless you get on it. This is your life, so what do you want to do with it?"

-----

The Play - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathtrap_(play)

up
359 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OH MY!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

OH MY! Our girl Tammy is at negative altitude in the fecal depository. SEND IN A DREDGER!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Aha! Lousy for Tammy

WillowD's picture

but an excellent plot device. I'm so looking forward to future chapters.

Guilt By Association

joannebarbarella's picture

And no idea who is responsible for the rumours. Classic McCarthyism.

Bullying

Things just got a lot more complicated. Nothing like having part of the foreign intelligence service of the UK trying to ruin you. I can't wait to see her response.

The old story about the shit only being ankle deep.......

D. Eden's picture

Because your facing head down!

Combat is much cleaner - at least you know who the bad guys are, you have a loaded weapon, and no one is second guessing you when you use it. Yeah, you can keep the intrigue crap.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Par for the course

Jamie Lee's picture

Tom acting all innocent in bullying Lucy is par for the course, as is his claiming he did nothing. He is the classic person who only sees his actions as a bit of fun, not hurting anyone.

But his type of fun is not welcomed by everyone, nor his texting Lucy and blaming her for his being kicked out. Did someone ask him to bully Lucy? Did someone ask him to disturb an individual who might have issues with that type of action? Who told him to send Lucy nasty texts? The text fairy? Tom is totally responsible for getting kick out of the theater, no one else.

When Tammy was first brought on board, and since then, there were those who wanted to get rid of her for one reason or another. Now she hears she is again being targeted and may actually get dismissed because she associated with known people who are a threat to the UK. Who are these people, or person? Who in SIS started all this? Might this be another one of their ploys to use Tammy to draw out these very people? If it is they better have something worth a lot to calm a savage beast because Tammy will be super pissed at being used again.

Others have feelings too.