Bikini Beach; The Russian Connection Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Once again thanks go to Elrod who looked over this story. My editor sent him a draft also. Thanks go to my editor Ibi who spent a lot of time on this and helped me define Jenny and her new found abilities. Which is one of the reasons this part has taken so long to write.

Michael Stephenson III's world would no longer be seen in the same light after his hasty arrival into Bikini Beach's small first aid station. His life changed as with many others outside the water park and its sprawling establishment with his placement in a makeshift bath.

No more would he answer if he were to hear the name called for it would no longer represent his view of the world, changed from a male species to the other having been traded within a mixture of water and unnoticed magic, the epicenter of saving his life. A selfless manner meant to prevent harm to all but him, inflicted by one whom he had called Mother. His name misplaced within a very limited circle of friends, later they would fail to remember the boy as he faded away into the background of another person's thoughts. He, now she, would become comfortable in living with the name 'Jenny Stephenson', daughter, and heir of a once prominent lawyer.

Her life, her very existence was due in part to the quick intervention of Anya, a sorceress of remarkable caliber who helped take care of the magical park to which she would bestow thanks. But none of that mattered at this moment as Jenny Stephenson now rested as best she could in the parks facilities, letting herself grow reacquainted to two others. A part of her inner circle; Erika Watson, and Lucy Johnson, as together they awaited the arrival of a dispatched ambulance.

Both of her friends showed a clear lack of understanding when they first arrived of what was taking place within the first aid station; a sudden summons from within the park taking them away from their normal routine, to witness the changing departure of Michael and his replacement of Jenny. Neither seemed aware of where Anya transported Michael by magical means, a given necessity for his survival. Or earlier of how mages, Anya and Grandmother, had deemed their presence an essential requirement in helping Jenny reacquaint herself back into her life. Both mages saw a need of where close friends were going to be of crucial importance to Jenny; mentally and physically. Together both girls had watched in privileged captivity as a swift moving change of reality surrounded them like the incoming tide as the rapid succession of Jenny's existence took to overshadow Michael’s version - permanently.

Not every aspect of Michael's existence would be displaced, or changed fully. Two police cruisers, which had been contacted with his wounding, continued to traverse their way towards his Aunt Julie Owens home, having been dispatched in Jenny's existence as well.

Grandmother, along with Anya and Selena (a valued member and learning mage herself of the staff), grew satisfied with Jenny's outcome if not somewhat weary themselves. The three soon departed leaving Jenny and the two friends in Dr. Chastity's care as there were still parts of Jenny's mishap within Jenny's Family needing help to resolve.

********************************************************

With lights flashing, patrol cars pulled into the family drive. Uniformed officers quickly ascertained a situation of where the front door, in what seemed a house invasion, was still open as with a vehicular accident on the premises. Earlier dispatchers would show of a reported burglary in progress, verified with their arrival upon the residence. One cruiser would call for immediate backup upon seeing the family entrance.

Shortly thereafter a second cruiser continued briefly up the drive to investigate what looked like an accident with the drivers attempt in fleeing the scene. An escape foiled by having collided round one of the yards trees. Inside the home, officers would find three female occupants and what looked to be a brief struggle as with blood only none would question the missing victim from an insuring fight.

Practicality would tell of wanting medical assistance for two of those inside and the disabled vehicles driver. While Elena and her henchman were deemed all right, the driver showed signs of lacerations from the impact as one officer noted over his radioed dispatch. Later an ambulance attendant would look over those inside as well justifying the need for a second ambulance to be sent.

None inside would notice how or when the bullet that had inflicted its fatal wound on Michael would change location. Its once lower position inched upwards due to the changed trajectory and route of Jenny's wound in the shoulder. The amount of splattered blood and gore diminished as well. By its very account, all changes went unnoticed as memories shifted with the global settling of magic as Jenny's existence would not be one of a local nature. Within the blink of an eye the tide of change simply moved the impact of where the bullet would later be found lodged in the wall as accounts varied of what happened. Different perspectives; mentally and physically would their stories tell of its happenings to those around and less welcoming for some.

*************************************************

“I’m going to bail Marta out of trouble Grandmother," Anya said, once having left the medical station. "We did kinda leave her in an impossible situation.”

“They’re about to leave for the Hospital. I’m sure she’ll be relieved to see you,” Grandmother agreed. On that note Anya's fingers gave an intricate display as with unintelligible words teleporting herself to the Owens’ home, but not before turning her attention to Selena. Grandmother then saw just how drawn and tired Selena looked.

“Draining isn’t it, when you lend your power to another?”

“Yes, but when I get home I’m going to sooth myself with a nice long bath. Then I think I’m going to let Brandy cook dinner tonight,” Selena hinted at, still upbeat with the outcome.

“Go home then. Relax, your shift is almost over anyway.”

“Thank-you," Selena said, without putting up a fight, "for once I’m going to take you up on it.” Heading to the employee lockers to change wearily. She wasn't going to let Grandmother, take advantage of changing her mind in having agreed.

For Marta, back at the Owens’ residence, she grew worried as she waited. Even knowing that Anya was coming back, explaining magic wasn't her forte and found the tension mounting inside the room as the other two women looked at her, their minds filled with unanswered questions. She had not said much to her friends with Jenny's disappearance, unawares of the shift now taken place, but then neither Cassie or Julie had not said much before then either. Shocked still, she thought as the ambulances were now waiting outside to transport them, and unlike Jenny's wound they only carried superficial cuts along with minor bruises, but decided to go to the hospital as well because that’s where they knew Jenny would be.

“I hope you have that explanation ready Marta.” Cassie called out to her in an icy tone. “It had better be good too.” The look in her eyes along with Julies, told Marta that her friends were now seriously growing angry at her.

After Cassie had first said her words, Julie and Cassie noticed where Marta now looked towards some unseen movement, and how it looked as Anya had just arrived from out of nowhere standing there within their midst. Neither of the Owen women had seen her come in, but none could mistake the look of relief on Marta’s face. Before either could say a word, Anya moved her fingers in a certain pattern. While doing so she uttered a few words they couldn't understand. Moments later Cassie turned to Marta smiling in thanking her. Looking at Anya she mouthed the word ‘what?’

“Marta , why don’t you go with Mrs. Owen and Cassie to the hospital? Dr. Chastity has treated Jenny as well as she can.”

It was as Julie and Cassie left to go into the ambulance Anya pulled Marta aside a moment. “I know it’s a cop out, an easy way out. But I put a thought into their heads that Jenny was taken to the hospital earlier. They’ve forgotten what happened prior to that. Meaning they know she got shot but they will not remember me teleporting anyone out.”

“OK, I can live with that," Marta said, relieved yet a little miff. "But please don’t ever put me in a position like that again. Cassie is a good friend.”

“And I’m not?” Anya asked in mock indignation. “Sorry Marta, but it’s not that you were the only one available, just that you were the only one who could have pulled it off.”

“So does this mean my pay is doubled?” Marta joked lukewarmly.

“You wish!” With that both girls hugged. “Thanks Marta, call me from the hospital and let us know what’s happened. Then I’ll pick you up and take you home.”

During their discussion the once trapped driver was freed from the confines of the now defunct car, to be escorted by a police officer as Marta travelled with the Owens. Needless to say Elena and her henchman were escorted away into Police custody. The journey was uneventful but was fairly upbeat. No awkward questions were asked of Marta on their trip with whatever spell Anya had invoked to which Marta was thankful for it. But it also confirmed to her that Jenny was OK which was really what everyone wanted.

*******************************************************

A very sore Jenny was loaded into the ambulance much to her chagrin after she was made to lay on a gurney by the ambulance attendances to her dismay of being seen. It was with great relief to see Erika and Lucy stepped into the back to ride with her. Prior to leaving they had called to inform their parents to let them know what was happening. Relaxing Jenny found herself half dozing once outfitted with an IV drip , a mild sedative directed by Dr. Chastity just to make her journey a little more comfortable. She (Dr. Chastity) had also passed on a letter to inform the E.R. Doctors what she had administered. With the paramedics in earshot the girls never really had much of a chance to talk about what they wanted to discuss. The three girls had a lot to talk about, but found that the discussion that was profound on their mind was going to have to wait a while.

“You are aware that you owe Luce and I ice-cream, don’t you?” Erika said, with a certain amount of deviousness in her voice.

“Really? And pray tell how that came about.”

“I think that’s only fair compensation for your inconsideration of getting shot and spoiling our water park session,” Erika teased, and then added in a more worried demeanor, “But no hurry, get better first.”

“Erika, Lucy I’m scared. I’ve never had any kind of serious hospital treatment. Let alone any kind of operation.”

“I think I’d be more scared of your Aunt to be honest Jenny,” Erika harped in answer, “I mean getting shot is not an everyday occurrence to most people.”

“Yeah, but I’ll just cross that bridge when I come to it." Shifting slightly even though restrained. "Ouch my shoulder really hurts,” Jenny winced as the pain seemed to shoot through her shoulder even sedated.

“From what I heard the bullet did go right through it. Geez girl it’s bound to hurt,” Lucy informed her.

“On the bright side though. I’m sure to be excused the next test (pop quiz) due to being unable to write. I’m hoping to get a pass on Gym too.”

“You’ll never get that one past Ms. Serrano, Jenny,” Erika informed Jenny to her dismay, “Especially as according to Dr. Chastity, mild exercise would be good for you.”

“In other words, Jenny you should still brush your pom poms out,” Lucy said, suggestively with wanting to keep Jenny's spirits up through her ordeal.

“Lucy!” Jenny exclaimed giggling at her friend’s remark. "They wouldn't dare. Would they?" Perplexed that she would be required to do such a workout given her shoulder wound.

At that point all three girls laughed out so loud it attracted the attention of the Paramedics and a stern cautionary look. All three girls blushed knowing what may have been overheard . Fortunately, it was as they reached the hospital that this occurred. Wheeling her out on the gurney with Erika and Lucy following suit.

"I think she'd just have you help out. Keep you active with the squad," Lucy hinted at seriously. "I mean you still have to go through surgery," worried, tired now herself from the excitement. "Nothing serious, right?" Stopping as the paramedics wheeled her to the ER.

“Hi girls, we heard that you were coming with Jenny.” Marta hinted cryptically by way of conversation on her arrival with both Cassie and Aunt Jewel. Both woman had been looked over themselves, their injuries were superficial, needing only a few bandages.

Now waiting in the ER, the three made room for the two girls while Jenny was taken further deep into the Emergency Room. "Mrs. Owens?" An attendant called moments later, taking her to a doctor waiting nearby, "We need your consent," she informed her after reading the incident form that had been written out. Oddly no one questioned of where Jenny had come from a water park. Jenny made the startling conclusion that this was probably down to the magic.

“What on Earth were you thinking Jenny? I thought you might have at least had some kind of weapon,” Aunt Jewels commented as she stood looking over the girl behind closed curtains.

“Well it seemed a good idea at the time Aunt Jewels. I just never thought about it, but I could have picked up a poker or something,” Jenny said in way to try and calm the worried woman.

It was as her Aunt Jewels went to speak with one of the many doctors on duty, Jenny noticed her Grandfather and grandmother come rushing in. To many, Michael Stephenson was an important man in town who owned one of the biggest law firms in the area. None of this mattered to Jenny at the moment now. She only saw her Grandfather as being the Patriarch of his family which he prided himself on. Not that it was to say he was a bully towards his only two children. When younger he always engaged them for their opinions if not demanded. Often raising various or sensitive topics to discuss as they ate dinner, their meals were often lively and in some cases, loud. Both son and daughter were encouraged to speak freely allowing all to enjoy the opinions of his family. Now standing by where he had pushed aside the curtain that separated his granddaughter from others in the ward he looked close to tears in having to see one of his beloved granddaughters laying there looking very vulnerable as words nearly seemed to fail him.

“Hello Pumpkin, dumb question I know but how do you feel?” Coming closer to take her hand tenderly into his.

In 'Jenny's' past this Jenny cringed when he'd first taken to call her such a childish name. But as she grew older Jenny had begun to actually enjoy being called Pumpkin. It seemed to reinforce the love from her father's side of the family in that she was wanted. She later found out from Cassie that their Grandpa always called his granddaughters by that name, but that didn't matter to her then. To her, and the way he intoned the affectionate name it sounded like he was just speaking to her. She remembered that as Michael in their greetings it was just a basic handshake and a hug. Because that’s how things were between the men in Michael Stevenson Sr.'s patriarch family and as Michael, he was never this close to his Grandfather. It was true though where Michael was closer to Grandma in fact with further reflection. Grandma and Aunt Jewels were both surrogate mothers to Michaels. By now small recollections of Michael were beginning to fade away, overshadowed by Jenny. But somehow at the back of her mind she knew that she would never forget Michael.

“Hi Grandpa I’ve been better. Besides you should have seen the other guy,” she said, trying to add a little humor into the situation.

And just like her Aunt, her Grandma asked. “Why on Earth didn’t you hit her with something hard child?” Unintentionally reinforcing the failing, making one feel stupid.

“What can I say Grandma, I’m a dumb blonde in that I never thought about it.” And as the words left her mouth Jenny noticed her attempt at mild humor had failed pretty badly and how it must have sounded to them.

“All I was thinking of was trying to save Aunt Jewels and Cass. Apart from you and Grandpa they’re all I have left now," Jenny said, her words broke down and her starting to shake. She felt so vulnerable, weak, and inferior in the manner of one act that showed how she hadn't thought of it even when she had acted upon it as Michael.

“Hey, you, enough of that, you’re not a dumb blonde Jennifer." Her Grandmother scolded. "Grandpa and I are very proud of you. You defended them.” Together her family took to calm the shaking girl with the coming realization of how she must have viewed herself having failed to properly defend herself in their eyes.

“You need to concentrate and get yourself well again young lady. A certain part-time housekeeper says she needs some help from you.” Her Grandpa chortled as he told her this. Michael Stevenson Sr. knew that Maria would be on her way soon to help distract his granddaughter from what was scaring her. Yes, he knew her well enough to understand how she felt. Inwardly Jenny shuddered at just how thorough Grandmother had been with her change. Well not just Grandmother, but Anya and Selena it seemed knew that something big was happening. Or was it because of this given power she was supposed to have. Once again Jenny found herself in a world of turmoil.

“Maria is coming here?” Jenny asked surprised.

“I believe so Pumpkin, something about an assignment you promised to help her with.”

“That’s true I did but I didn’t think that they would let her stay.”

“I think that was due more to your Aunt," Grandma answered.

“How did she manage that?”

“Personally, dear I think it’s because she’s too much like her Father. He likes to get his own way too much sometimes as well,” Grandma said looking lovingly at her husband, “I think we need to go now. We’ll see you in a few days when you come home Jenny.”

With both grandparents kissing their granddaughter. They left, Michael Sr. making his mind up to pull a few strings. He was shocked at how small Jenny looked. Also hearing what he had about what could have happened to her. Had angered and disgusted him, he never had liked Elena’s family. As for Elena herself he had never felt ‘easy’ about her. There was always something too dark and mysterious about her. But like with Julie he had never ‘poked his nose’ into their affairs. He had always stepped back and allowed them to make their own mistakes but like a good parent was always there for them when it all fell apart.

“I spoke with one of the doctors. You’re going to be in here for a few days. Tomorrow they’re going to prep you up for a minor operation on your shoulder." Jenny had expected to be, just not with how in next to no time she would be going under the knife.

“Please Aunt Jewels, I want to go home, I don’t want to stop here,” Jenny pleaded almost in tears, “It’s going to be like school, that horrible boarding school I was at.” Fear was coursing through her, she so hated that school and the rich bitchy girls who attended. It hadn't escaped her that her parents were very wealthy. But those girls were just stuck up prissy bitches.

“Sorry Jenny, you have to stop," Julie said understanding, "we can’t give you the care you need,” heartbroken seeing her niece in this condition, “Look I’ll see if we can ensure that someone is here all the time OK?”

Due to where the Police felt that Jenny’s life was still in some sort of danger a female officer was posted outside her door. Also, Julie had managed to persuade the hospital staff it would help Jenny's moral if she were to have a friend or relative there most of the time. That evening Maria came in to visit and they spent many hours going through some of her college work. Maria had a class report on the theatre in Shakespeare’s time.

“Let the class do some of the work for you Maria,” Jenny advised lecturing over the literature before them.

“How do I do that?” Maria asked having flubbed over one of the harder sections.

“In one of my classes our English teacher explained about how Shakespeare just handed out roles. They didn’t audition like we do now.”

“Ok I was with you up to that point.”

“Take two roles, say Romeo and Juliet, from the balcony scene. Although it’s not really a balcony, but it’s referred to as that. Mention that point too, then take the two roles and make it into a scroll. Get it scroll... Role, it’s a play on words then pick any two out of your class and tell them to read it as if they were playing the roles.”

“I think I understand it, the natural response will take over, they, play the roles.”

“Precisely, they will start by reading it, and then start to play the roles. The class will see it all unfold, just as you said. People who study literature usually do, but not always have a love of performance. What you are doing is playing on that factor. Shakespeare is about performance.”

“I’m so pleased to have you help me Jenny this is going to be fun.”

The time with Maria seemed to take the edge off Jenny’s forced hospital stay. It also took its toll on both girls, more on Jenny given her condition and medication, as they were both feeling tired. Both fell asleep with Jenny first while working on Maria’s class report. It was the night duty nurse who gently woke Maria up to tell her that Cassie was there to take her back home.

The following Morning Jenny found herself denied breakfast as her stomach grumbled but was allowed a drink water as her surgery was scheduled for that morning. After rolling out from X-rays she was prepped up for surgery, not something that she was greatly looking forward to. But she was viewing it as a step closer to coming home. Having never before undergone surgery before, Jenny was understandably very anxious as the staff explained more of what she should expect. Much to her relief she found the nursing staff was more than understanding of her plight. Feeling more reassured with their telling of how routine the procedure would be and how she would be placed under with a required anesthetic. Just prior to her being anaesthetized the surgeon, Dr. Westwood spoke to her.

“The good news Jennifer is that Dr. Chesterton was correct in her assessment.”

“That the bullet went right through?”

“Yes, but more in where there’s no bone damage. You’re a fortunate girl. It missed the main arteries. I can honestly say that it’s the cleanest gunshot wound I’ve ever seen.” He looked at her a moment and said. “Almost, as if someone had set a course through your body.”

“Does this mean I can go home sooner.” Jenny asked hopefully.

“I’d like to keep you in overnight just for observation. I don't see a reason not to release you soon after lunch time tomorrow.”

As Dr. Westwood said this, her Aunt Jewel stood by, filling out the necessary forms just within comforting reach as she favored her with a supportive smile, yet concerned look as she talked over the upcoming procedure with one of the nursing staff. Several nurses and doctors from the Surgeon performing the operation to the local anesthetist introduced themselves taking to assuring Jenny. It was then she learned that a catheter would be inserted once she was under.

"Now Jenny," the anesthetist said after he took a needle from one of the surgical tray rolled in, "I want you to start a slow count backwards for me starting from 10," once he had filled her IV bag with a clear liquid from a needle that had been attached to a pole above her bed.

"Ten… nine… eight… sev…" Jenny never knew if she finished as her eyes drooped shut with them wheeling her into the operating room. She never saw where if they passed through the double doors. Mentally she had gone through a lot and was still receiving grief counselling as she blissfully lost consciousness.

About an hour after leaving the O.R., Jenny found herself coming around with minor discomfort below with the wearing out of the anesthetic. Laying there she tried to focus on a voice that seemed to be coming out of nowhere.

"Jenny."

"Ummm…"

"Time to wake up Jenny." The words said as her world came into focus then sharper still with her opening her eyes seeing the look of a nurse bending over her. It was as she laid there a sudden queasiness gripped her and the nurse helped her over the side with her emptying what little contents she had in her stomach.

"There, there," the nurse said. "That's right, hold steady. Good girl." She had to have been so groggy as the nurse provide her small amounts of water.

"Don't drink. Swish and spit into the container."

Ten minutes after her throwing up she felt violated after the nurse had removed the tube between her legs then leading her to the bathroom. The duty staff did their best to reassure her that it really was a common occurrence as she voided into the toilet.

“How can I be sick when I’ve had nothing to eat?” She groaned.

“Just a reaction sweetheart, you’re not the first, and believe me you won’t be the last.” The nurse informed her giving her a small amount of privacy even with leaving the door open. Just in case.

After freshening herself up a little. Jenny started to feel a little more human although the pain in her shoulder was still bothering her somewhat. Once they were satisfied she wandered round a little later having been taken back to her room. Trying to forget the pain even with its minor throbbing she waited until the pain subsided with the pressing of a red button that automatically administers the painkiller. However, it caused her to feel a little drowsy her nurse told her and that the anesthetic was still in her system. That combination soon was too much as she crawled back into the bed and the raising of the sidearm preventing her from falling out of bed. It was now past early afternoon and she had missed lunch.

Waking up in pain she found that she had rolled over. Onto her injured shoulder, causing a shooting pain that went right into her back. Squealing with pain Jenny rolled onto her back after getting her breath back. Scooting herself back up in bed using her good arm she pushed back more onto the pillow. Still feeling slightly nauseous Jenny was reluctant to eat. At the suggestion of the nurse she decided to eat a couple of slices of toast followed by the strawberry flavored Jello made difficult with one good arm. With no visitors today, Jenny found herself feeling pretty low in spirits. On the positive side her Aunt would pick her up tomorrow lunch time.

Despite being in some minor pain mainly due to not being able to find a comfortable position for her arm , Jenny realized just how much she was missing her friends. She thought back to how their friendship started and all the fun they had enjoyed. ‘This is the first time I’ve had real friends,’ she mused to herself with her coming to America. Both Erika and Lucy had gently and not so gently at times teased out a new side to Jenny, one even she was unaware of. She thought also of Little Melanie and Katie of course. Knowing that her Aunt had already told Katie what had happened. Kind of concerned her somewhat, she just hoped that either of them were not too worried over her. She made herself a promise that once she was released she would Skype with them the first opportunity she had. She found herself missing the little tornado who had so unexpectedly came into her life.

During Jenny’s afternoon of reflection with her being alone mostly she thought of Michael. Well more like her life as Michael. The more she thought about him the more she realized that she was mourning his death. He had effectively died in the treatment room at Bikini Beach. Sure, there was no body, but he now no longer existed. Well to her at least and she felt a lump begin to form in her throat with his passing. Almost everyone she knew was not aware of who he was or what he had done. That acknowledgement saddened Jenny no end who had given without a moment’s thought for his own safety sacrificed himself for his family. The only people in the world to know about what he had done were Anya, Grandmother, Selena, Erika, Lucy, herself and possibly Dr. Chastity. Then the fact of naming two of her best friends the matter hit her, why Erika and Lucy?

‘Anya please, I need your help.’ Jenny thought, wanting, hoping and praying she could still do this.

‘Want me to come over?’ Anya asked returning the thought.

Except nothing else was said or thought between them. Anya worried in what Jenny was now going through, the hard step of realization that she would not be returning to who she once was just as with her friend Vicky Martin. A few moments later Anya arrived to see a very distraught Jenny sprawled on her hospital bed confirming her suspicion.

“Jenny?” Anya asked as she went over to the girl. "I know it's hard, but it does get better. I promise." Taking to comfort the girl gently. "You're not the only one who has these feelings of doubts of loss. You’re mourning over him."

“I’m pretty confused about a number of things Anya. Especially with Erika and Lucy, they know... they know everything.”

“Do you remember that first day in the office Jenny?” Anya paused and letting Jenny nod her agreement. “Just before I went to call you in, Jozef said he felt something special about you. But he couldn’t say exactly what it was. We, Grandmother and I noticed it too. As for Erika and Lucy its best if I let Grandmother explain that to you." Consoling the girl.

Slowly Jenny nodded her acceptance that her friend’s knowledge of her would be explained. “You mean when I was Michael?” Yes, I do remember that day, that’s when I first knew of the telepathy.”

“Yes, have you also noticed Jenny that your telepathy is getting stronger?”

“I’m afraid I can’t really say I’ve noticed to be honest. But how does that make me special? I can’t say that I feel special in any way.” Jenny paused a moment, it was almost like a light had been turned on. “Piecing things together am I right in thinking this has something to do with Mum’s family?”

“Smart girl," Anya said congratulating the girl's perceptiveness. "Grandmother worked it all out. She wanted me to try and explain it all to you and I will answer your question shortly.”

“I somehow get the feeling that I’m not going to be too enamored by all of this.”

“Possibly, but I think you can handle it." Pulling herself up onto the beds edge becoming comfortable. "You’re a strong girl Jenny. Now there are four of us who around the park who can use magic. You know of three, the fourth is a younger girl, Mel, Melody, she’s the daughter of our diving instructor Lisa. Your gift Jenny goes far beyond all of that.”

“Goes beyond magic? Anya, I’m sorry but you have lost me. You’re telling me that my telepathy goes beyond your magic?”

“No Jenny, not the telepathy although I admit you’re pretty powerful with it. I’m sure with proper training you’ll be able to do a lot more. No, what I’m trying to say is that you’re an Empath.”

“An Empath? I didn’t think that really existed. I thought that it was just some kind of psychological gobbledygook.”

Anya grinned at Jenny’s remark, giving the girl a few moments to digest what she was saying, Anya continued. “No, empaths are real. A word of advice, don’t mention your opinions of psychology to Holly, it’s one of her majors unless you want to have a long debate on the matter." Giving Jenny a caring squeeze of her hand.

"Grandmother will be able to fill you in on everything in a couple of days. Yes, it does have a lot to do with your Mom’s family.” From her tone it was clear that Anya was not content about Jenny’s Mom or her family.

It was hearing those words the disgust in Anya’s voice and the strange feeling it invoked that Jenny’s world was shook to the core. Everything was now making a lot of sense, pieces she didn't understand at first. Years of being ignored, pretty much forced to speak Russian. Unlike Michael she now knew that her own Mother had ‘promised’ her to Mikhail Markovic. With what she knew from what little her Aunt had dared tell her, she pieced together what her fate would have been.

“They knew, didn’t they?” Jenny hissed out.

“It looks that way.” Anya answered.

“Unlike Michael, they wanted me as brood mare to pump out lots of little ...” Anger marked her eyes, flashed, and the utter distaste at what she almost became. Jenny had never felt such inner hostility before with its start of wanting to take root inside her. It was as if Mount Vesuvius had found a stronghold inside, and was prepared to erupt within her. This was so foreign to what she had never felt before. Yet at that precise moment she didn’t care. How could this woman, this creature who was supposed to be her mother do such a callous thing to her? ‘I promise I will make him, Mikhail Markovic and that monster I called a Mother suffer for this. I don’t know how yet but he, they all will.’ However, Anya was growing concerned about the young girl's sudden outburst. This was something major even for an adult to handle let alone a seventeen-year-old girl and doubted if she should have discussed it here alone within the hospital.

“Jenny," Anya said fervently, "take deep breathes slowly. Think of all the good things you have now. I need you push aside that desire; it's dangerous, take control of your anger. I understand what you're thinking, but you of all people must keep it under control. Think of Melanie, Erika, Lucy all of your family as well.”

Slowing the anger dissipated, as a calmness came over Jenny and Anya breathed her own relief as she saw Jenny relax. The truth was very few people were aware of what powers an empath would have. Yes, countless knew of where an empath could detect feelings or moods in others, except some were capable to controlling them as well. Anya had a feeling that Jenny was one to be one of those given how she had felt her own anger build ever so slowly. Her reaction to the growing outburst just proved as much to Anya. This is something she would have to inform Grandmother about.

“I’m even more scared now Anya. What kind of powers do I have? How do I learn about them? What does an empath do?" Jenny asked, "So many questions I’m sounding like Melanie now.” Jenny giggled.

“Well if you’re a Trekkie you could do a marathon and watch all the Star Trek Next generation TV shows. One of the characters, Deanna Troi was an empath. Well that’s what Greg my fiancé would suggest.” Anya said giggling as well.

“Great! In other words, I'm to become an interstellar cheerleader,” Jenny answered then grinned at her own response.

“Well you did at least achieve the cheerleader part first.” Both girls giggled at that. “I think I’d best be going Jenny." Removing the spell she used to give them some privacy. "I'm sure the nursing staff would like to come in here now for their nightly rounds. I’ll see you in a few days. I'm sure Dr. Chastity would like to look at you again.... It makes you a very special person Jenny. I can see now why Grandmother pulled Selena in to help.”

**********************************************************************

Lunch time couldn't come quick enough for Jenny as she waited eagerly with Aunt Jewels for the doctors' noticeable clean bill of health and release forms. It was with her seeing her Aunt Julies first arrival the next morning that relief came over her and her taking Jenny back home. Unsupported fear took her that morning where the doctor might insist she spend another day. As her stay had only been for a couple of days she only carried a small case to pack her necessities and even that was light. Julie insisted she be the one to pack forcing Jenny to just sit on the bed while her aunt did all the work. The only thing that they were now waiting for was where to go to within the hospital for her prescription drugs once the doctor Okayed her release.

A bottle of prescribed Vicodin with strict instructions for its use over several days waited for her. After that hopefully, Tylenol or ibuprofen would suffice. Two weeks later Jenny was to return for a follow-up appointment at the hospital to check and remove the stitches and to examine the wound. Despite the feeling of relief at being able to return home she did feel down. ‘What a dismal way to spend a weekend,’ she thought as she was leaving her room. Just prior to leaving she took the time to personally thank everyone who assisted her recovery. She even went so far with the unexpected effort to leave a card, and a box of candy as a way of saying thanks to the staff as Jenny was told to sit in a waiting wheelchair.

"Rules are rules Jenny." Her aunt Jewels reminded the girl as she wheeled Jenny down the hall to her Aunts waiting car. Aunt Jewels simply smiled at the look of disgust on her niece’s face. Thankfully the journey home was quiet and uneventful as Julie chalked it up to the medication.

Trying to put more of her mind at ease once getting home, Jenny looked online to see how far behind she was with her school work. She needed something to keep her mind occupied with all that had come to light. And school for her was that means of accomplishment as she wanted - needed to say competitive with her peers. Although, with her right shoulder out of action, partially immobilized for the moment, she refused to give into the limitation. Soon she found the imposition of it as she attempted to catch up to the much-needed writing.

With one mobile hand, Jenny soon learned how slow she could type as she found herself hunting and pecking for letters she used to type out in ease. Of the necessary assignments, only a few were completed. And as she struggled through her course assignments, incoming text messages from both Erika and Lucy encouraged her mood, brightened with their saying how happy they were to hear she was now home again as she spent the remainder of that afternoon completing her English assignment. The reason for putting it off until last was her pride. A favorite subject course, unlike many other students, made her want to put forth her best effort as she strived to impressive those even with the limitation of her wound. To show Aunt Jewels of her intent of keeping to her own high expectations as she looked forward in wanting to go to Bikini Beach later as a reward for herself. She really felt the needed urge to find out more about this empath business and what it meant.

Shortly she had another issue to deal with. Jenny checked the time of day then told her Aunt what she was doing. Not that she needed permission, but it was the polite thing to do and as she sought her out it so happened her Aunt was about to suggest it to her by interrupting her herself. Ensuring it would just be before Melanie’s bedtime this had to be done now and before Jenny could speak to Katie Harris about her, a small bolt of energy made its presence known as she took control of the conversation as Melanie Harris of small stature, but strong like jumped in, dominating her with questions not allowing Jenny a chance to speak even with her asking questions.

“Hi Jenny, I’ve missed you. Where were you on Saturday? Whatever it was are you feeling better? Why are you laying on your bed? Jenny what’s on your arm?" Only to find herself interrupted herself by either breath or parent, Jenny couldn't be sure.

“Melanie let poor Jenny answer your first question.” Katie mildly scolded her daughter.

“Hi Melanie." Content to get a word in edgewise. "I’ve missed you too. On Saturday I was in hospital. Yes, I feel a lot better now thank you. I’m laid on my bed because I have to rest. It’s called a sling." Showing her the device that halted her arms movement over the webcam. "I have to rest my arm too."

“In case you didn’t know Mummy’s here as well I think she missed you too Jenny." Unaware or forgetful with excited on who announced Jenny earlier.

“Hi Katie, I missed you too it’s been a long few days.”

“Hi Jenny." Formally greeting the girl. "I heard from Julie what happened. She sent me an email on Saturday. I told Melanie some of it, but I thought the rest was best coming from you.” After pausing a moment looking into the webcam she said. “Please be careful Jenny. She’s lost so much recently.” As she said this Katie was wiping her eyes. It was enough for Jenny to know just how fragile the little girl was.

“Hey, I’m here you know.” Said a very put out Melanie.

“OK Katie, here goes. Melanie, I was in hospital as I needed an operation. I had an accident at school and injured my shoulder.” As she looked at her laptop she saw Katie mouth ‘Thank you’ to her.

“That was very silly Jenny you could have got hurt bad.” Melanie chastised in her six-year-old way.

“I know, but I’m OK now.”

“Well I spose it is OK then.” Creasing up her face in thought, she continued. “But you better be more careful next time.” She admonished.

“I will Melanie I promise, actually my Aunt pretty much told the same.”

“When are you back to school Jenny?”

“In about two weeks I think Katie.” Then in mild disgust she continued with, “They still set me with assignments online though, so I’m not really let off.”

“Jenny what did Aunt Jewels say? Are you in trouble?” an inquisitive Melanie asked.

“Apart from grounding me for the rest of my life you mean?" Jenny joked. "No, not in too much trouble really.”

“Oh, is she still upset with you then?” A suddenly saddened Melanie inquired.

“Not really, I think she was just worried about me, but I’m OK now.”

Forty-five minutes passed quickly as they conversed over the internet on a number of things. Jenny on how much Melanie was enjoying school. Katie with her deciding to take some time off. Her Head Teacher requesting if she be readily available to work on a part time basis. She considered it acceptable taking him up on his offer. It wouldn’t have any effect on Melanie given it was only three mornings, saying her family were not too happy about it, but she felt of needing some income. Their session was soon cut short with Melanie complaining of being tired. Jenny made the promised to email them the next day and with a pleasant conversation over, Jenny herself gave in for a needed short nap before going down to dinner.

“Welcome home lil sis I missed you.” Cassie hugged her cousin a little harder than she intended. Jenny flinched slightly as a sudden jolt shot through her shoulder. Despite this, Cassie either never noticed or chose to ignore it. “You do realize this means I can tease you more,” Cassie taunted as soon as she saw her cousin.

“Thanks Cass, I missed you too. Where’s Maria I’ve not seen her since I got home?”

“She has that class assignment this evening I believe,” Aunt Jewels answered.

“I hope she does well with it. I know she was pretty much sweating over it a couple of nights ago.”

“I know, when she got home she felt that she had it pretty much planned out with your help Jen,” Cassie said .

“I hope so Cass, she was working so hard at it.”

“Jenny that day you first helped her. It was like the two of you clicked with how your friendship with her has blossomed. I know she really struggled with that class, I was afraid she would quit. I don’t know what happened between you both that day. But she seems like a different girl completely, more confident with her learning .”

Jenny went quiet for a moment thinking over what Anya had said. ‘Was this some part of this power she was supposed to have?’ How did it work? How does she control it? So many budding questions and she had no clue of where to find the answers. Well perhaps she knew, but she wasn’t sure about so much right now.

“She’s a nice girl Aunt Jewels I like her a lot. I’m pretty sure that she would have worked something out.”

Tonight's dinner was a meal that Jenny was looking forward to. "Umm, smell's good," Jenny said, her appetite growing, famished, having spent all the weekend in a hospital. No matter where you live hospital food is never very appetizing. Seeing the main dish of lasagne which Aunt Jewels had cooked specifically, Jenny knew it was more of a welcome home dish considering it was homemade as with being one of her favorite meals. Both Cassie and Julie watched with amusement as Jenny literally pigged out. Taking a large helping it looked as if she hadn’t eaten in days. Which in this case was pretty much true.

“Try and leave us some glaze on the plate Cuz .” Cassie teased.

“Easy for you to say Cass, the tastiest food I’ve eaten in days was strawberry jelly.” Jenny complained.

**********************************************************************

Early afternoon Jenny stepped off the bus none too far from Bikini Beach. It wasn't a far walk in her first outing days after being home, still she considered it a real pain in the butt not having the luxury of being able to drive. 'This is the place the whole thing had begun', she thought to herself before reaching the Ticket Booth. Then just before she entered Anya asked her to wait a few minutes on one of the nearby benches as her relief was on the way. While waiting Jenny saw Marta approaching. Giving a heartfelt wave of Hello Marta returned the wave as entered one of the other turnstiles to start her shift as Anya took to speaking with Marta herself. At her current distance Jenny couldn't hear what was said as part of her would have loved to have spent the afternoon here. Officially she should have been at school. But with the constraints of her shoulder she was excused for another week and a half. Her Knowing that her Aunt would not allow her to frequent the park in her absence Jenny did what most teenagers did, she snuck out.

“Dr. Chastity would like to see you Jenny. She's interested in how her colleagues treated the wound. She doesn't want to see them in any potential lawsuit. ”

“Sounds like more gobbledygook to me.”

Anya laughed a little at her remark. Jenny found her (Anya’s) laugh as musical, almost hypnotic with how she could relax around this older girl. “Is that an English word? I don’t think I’ve heard of that one until you used it a couple of days ago.”

“I’m not sure to be honest but it fits into the situation.”

By now they had arrived at the Park’s med center, where Dr. Chastity was waiting for them.

“Sit down please Jenny." Indicating the waiting stool. "Take off your shirt and bra please. I'm interested of how certain colleagues have been treating their patients."

"Anya, mentioned that." Taking to disrobe.

Just out of sight but still in the room Anya waited with Jenny grimacing a little in pain.

“Still bothering you a little?” Jenny nodded as Dr. Chastity moved her shoulder a little noting that there was no swelling. Examining the stitches Dr. Chastity nodded her approval. “Good you’re healing well, there will be a permanent scar I’m afraid. But the good news is that your breast is undamaged. Dr Westwood did an excellent job.”

“Is everything OK Dr. Chastity? Grandmother would like to chat with Jenny now.”

“She's fine, but I can't clear her for the rides or water activity for the moment. If she were to bring a doctors' clearance it would absolve us of any potential lawsuits, or in a week or so we can see about letting you on the rides. Continue to take it easy with the shoulder as I'm sure your physician recommended mild exercise." Handing Jenny her top once she had refastened her bra with Anya's help. "Nothing strenuous, keep it mobile so to keep it exercised. Only next time let's keep your visit to more nonprofessional basis please.” Dr Chastity smiled as she dismissed them.

Once again Jenny felt immediate relief as she walked into the grey building with her eyes adjusting to the rooms interior. Unused to the Southern state she now lived in, she dealt with the occasional hot British Summer days carrying a bottle of water with her when she went out unlike she experienced with its months of humidity. With her eyesight adjusted she noticed where there was a glass of root beer waiting for her as Grandmother indicated for her to sit. Although it was a request it was still one not to be ignored.

“I see you’re feeling a little better Jenny. You gave all of us a scare.” Relaxing in the lounge room.

“Yes, Ma’am I feel much better thank you.” Taking a sip of the offered drink. Thankful.

“I believe that Anya spoke with you a couple of days ago.”

“Yes, Ma’am she did.” Feeling a bit intimidated by the woman who know of her thirst before even stepping inside the building and its waiting.

“Jenny just try to relax please we have a lot to discuss here today.”

Not for the first time when in Grandmother’s presence Jenny felt uncomfortable. This was a lady who held power, real power. In the time that she had known the old woman she had never seen her so intense. It was scaring her a little, well more than a little. ‘This is a very serious subject Jenny and not one to be taken too lightly.’ Once again, she heard the elderly matrons voice inside of her head. Jenny was now fully aware that Anya had told her Grandmother everything .

“Jenny when Grandmother discusses magic with any of us, she warns us of the consequences involved. ” Anya emphasized as she went back to her desk to take care of paperwork.

“OK I think I understand that Anya. So, you’re saying, its similar to Newton’s third law of motion action and reaction.”

“In a way yes, Jenny but not quite right. Think of where our reality is on a scale. It's balanced with certain restrictions. If we were remove too much from one side too soon the balance shifts precariously, and the fabric of reality suddenly swings off balance.”

“So, in other words,” Jenny answered. “Removing a person or people could create an imbalance of reality?”

“We’re sorceress’ dear not hit people.” Grandmother chuckled a little. “But yes, that’s the principle.”

“And with my being and Empath, you’re saying that I have the same potential to offset this balance of consequences too?”

“Indeed Jenny, you have the power to change people. You can change their thinking, their whole way of life. As well as their actions, and feelings.” Grandmother stated.

“But my changes are different in the fact that it’s not a total reality change.” The revaluation of this hit Jenny hard. “My changes will be noticed Anya, Grandmother. I don’t want it; how can I live with myself if I mess up?”

“And that child is why we’re here to help you. We all have those fears. Anya told me about your reaction in hospital.” Pausing a moment, the old woman looked over at her. Sitting there sipping on their drinks, Jenny could see Grandmothers face change ever so slightly with what looked to be sorrow and hurt. A look which seemed to reflect one's years who had been given their own share of remorse in ones' lifetime. It was then Jenny felt the tingling of another set of pain one could not see, but feel. It was as if she were suffering a sense of loss itself.

“Jenny, there's something I need to tell you of. I know you attend Church and I’m sure your minister has spoken of the evil in our world.” Once again, Grandmother paused, Jenny suddenly felt ill at ease, very unsure of herself. “If you allow anger to rule you and your abilities you would be no better than those who tried to control you. But we’ll talk more of the anger and evil another time.”

“That seems to contradict all I’ve heard, read and been told.” Jenny said.

“What Grandmother means is that it’s not for you to change people’s feelings." Anya clarified having listened in while doing a few papers. "What you should do is pretty much do like we do and open your mind to people. Use your telepathic abilities to try and read people.”

“OK suppose someone is suicidal? Should I not change their feelings?”

“Perhaps in a subtler way. What you should do is look for other paths they can take. Try and help them feel more positive and overcome their reasoning for why they came to that conclusion. Remember your power feeds from their energy.”

“Great! Now I sound like some kind of vampire or something,” Jenny said, becoming alarmed, "feeding off of their emotions."

“Grandmother has taught me and Selena this. She’s also in the process of teaching Melody.” Anya informed her ignoring Jenny’s remark.

“So, I should look to other paths? How do I do that with someone who is suicidal?”

“In some circumstances you will have to make the hard decision of what to do Jenny. But Anya and I will be here to teach you how to read people.” Grandmother said.

“I can’t say that I like the idea of that. I really can’t see me intruding on people like this.”

“Selena said pretty much the same thing Jenny. She still doesn’t like it, but she has helped people and Grandmother and I think that you will too.”

“It may be a good idea to talk to Selena too sometime Jenny. The two of you seem to have similar feelings.” Grandmother suggested.

With their teaching, Jenny came to the understand just how powerful her telepathy was. Within a week and a half, Anya had taught her how to shield her thoughts against those such as Markovic. Her lessons became a course of self-discovery as she grew more aware of how to 'feel' one's emotions by using a group of people. Reaching out to 'touch' someone was something she was still very uncomfortable if not tense with. It wasn't just her ability of reading others, it was the fact she had trouble sustaining control over the flow of emotions. In many instances she felt overcome, if not on the verge of being overwhelmed by it all as she struggled to maintain control of her own over theirs. It was during this time she also had the stitches finally removed from her shoulder to her relief.

Strolling from one place to another in a daring two-piece, a light wrap encircled her waist. Light raised open toed sandals eased her way along the park . Taking advantage of the day with the throng of children Jenny reached out towards one section of the park; the Junior Lifeguard Academy. The wild and raw emotions of the children at the JLA had drawn her attention. Seeking out first one, then another, followed by another she was soon gripped by her own emotions. The thoughts of Melanie pressed her hard as she was reminded of her by the other children, brushing them aside. Without notice Jenny found herself hit by a wall of excitement, fear, and wonder as new sentiments overcame her. Her prior inclination of Melanie had lessened her guard allowing youthful mindsets to catch her in a tidal wave of unbridled emotion. Immediately she found herself playing in the ocean as a small child. Days of how the waves would keep on rolling up to her slowly, overpowering her until her Daddy came and rescued her with his strong arms pulling her from harm's way. There would be no rescue this time, she was completely on her own, finding herself unable to cope, drowning in the sheer emotions of others.

From nowhere a voice arose as if a lifeline were tossed to her, pulling her to the shore line. “Cut them off Jenny. You know how to do it.” Demanded Anya’s sharp response as Jenny struggled against the emotional tide of youngsters. Inside the office Anya was both impressed and angry at the girl.

‘I can remember you doing likewise when you first started child.’ Grandmother silently but gently rebuked her. “You must try and take things a little slower Jenny. I fear if left unguided you may lose yourself in other longings.”

“That was too intensive I can’t do this.” Jenny cried, overcome, both with physical and mental emotional exhaustion. Entering the staff back door of the gray complex.

“Come on Jenny," Anya coaxed. "Learning a new skill is never easy at first. I know how hard it is. We've all been through similar trials. When it gets to this stage you must shut it off,” Anya said hugging Jenny when she entered the office building in wanting to collect herself out of others view.

Grandmother waited a few moments allowing the girl to compose herself in one of the chairs. “Jenny, I understand your concern. Really my child. But I need to warn you of a more dangerous constant evil if you don't learn control. In our circles it’s known as the darkness. Earlier I made mention of where your minister has spoken of evil.”

“You mean such as the Devil or Satan?" Jenny inquired. "Anya mentioned to me about the dark side.”

“The Devil, Satan or for us the Darkness. Ours is not one lost in its meaning and no matter what name you call it, it’s purely evil.”

The silence in the room grew deafening as Jenny took in what the elderly mage was suggesting. No one dared say anything, anything at all when Jenny had more than a few bad feelings and not from her senses as such. If their silence could be distinguished as a solid object she was sure that this would be of granite. Cold, hard, and unfeeling.

“Yes, Jenny. Ours is very real. Anya lost her mother Chessa to it." Grandmother said in a tightened voice as Anya seemed to wipe away sudden tears with her mentioning. "You can never receive too many warnings of it.” Grandmother said breaking the silence with a voice that would have surely broke the granite. Continuing Grandmother said. “This darkness will corrupt, blind you once you tasted it. You will never be the same again as you submit to its power of taking you over with its non-redeeming qualities.”

Jenny shuddered knowing now how big an issue this was. Grandmother’s sudden revelation about Chessa cleared up the tingling and feeling of loss. She felt a few days earlier when Grandmother first mentioned this Darkness. Her training, she knew, was not over this was going to be a lifelong session. Moments later a terrifying thought came into her head. Not from outside sources as this were incidents in her life. So, disturbing was it her thought seemed to alert Grandmother.

“What’s wrong child? You seem disturbed.”

“By a disturbance in the force?” Jenny answered a little too facetiously. “I’m sorry I was trying to lighten the mood a little.”

Although trying hard to stifle a laugh, and doing a bad job, Anya realized that Jenny had something she needed to say. “Just say it Jenny, no one is going to laugh at you.”

“It was when I was a child, Michael I mean. I remember once of where I had this dream, I was falling down a well or something. I can’t fully remember exactly what it was. But what I remember was that it was so dark. Where ever I was it was dark, like a thick blanket. You could almost feel it, it tried to, I don’t know, smother me. A voice screamed out, first I thought it was mine, but it was my Mum. She just said no, he’s not the one.”

“Did you ever have that dream again?” Anya asked.

“No, but…” She hesitated a moment almost afraid to speak before drawing a faded breath. “When, as Michael, I tried to disarm Mum. Just after she shot me, and I was on the floor in agony I, I saw it again,” Jenny said weeping. “It was there in her eyes. I saw it again in my Mum’s eyes as she looked at me knowing I was dying.” Bursting into tears unable to put the memory behind of what her own mother would do to her. “I never want to see that woman again," Jenny cried. "She scares the crap out of me.”

Cradling Jenny softly, Anya took to consoling the shaking girl, an unspoken answer received of learning the girl had not been claimed by the 'Darkness'. Neither mages seemed unsurprised of discovering where her mother had given in with the evil in which she would stoop to in achieving the goals of what she wanted.

**********************************************************************

Jenny was pleased to be back at school hallways again as she walked along the corridors with her fellow students. The first week was OK at first being home all day then after of it she became very bored with it. Socially she missed Erika and Lucy. Then there was Bill. He had tried to come over a couple of times with her stay in the hospital, but he had to work that weekend. Jenny thought it was sweet of him to make it a point of phoning her every day, sometimes twice a day causing him to be teased a lot from his family. Particularly from his younger sister Abigail who seemed to take great delight in reminding him.

Then there was her own teasing with her hopes dashed of being able to drive herself. Cassie took special delight as she chauffeured her to school on her own way to classes. During her time spent away from school Jenny had tried to understand what being an empath entailed.

“Here you go lil sis, I’ll pick you up after school. Don’t be late!” Cassie teased.

“Yes Mother.” An exasperated Jenny replied.

“I think I timed that just right Jen. There’s lover boy by his bike.”

“CASS! Just, just don’t that’s all.” A very embarrassed Jenny responded shaking her head in disbelief. “How on Earth am I related to you Cassie Owen?” Jenny said appalled then with a smile on her face.

“Jenny, I love you too much to stop teasing you. Anyway, you’d best get out now I think that Bill’s waiting for you.”

“I could ask Bill to drop me off on his bike. It could save you some time, you’d not have to worry about me.”

“You do that, and you will be grounded for life,” Cassie said, sure to have emphasized the will.

“But only if Aunt Jewels knows.” Jenny snickered looking causally at the boy.

“I’ll snitch on you Jen. I, we care about you. You Jenny Stephenson, you’re like my little sister.”

Jenny felt herself get choked up. “Thanks Cass I really appreciate that.”

After getting out of the car, Jenny walked over to where Bill was waiting, the first of where they had seen each other in person over the last two weeks. It hadn’t been anyone’s fault; it was just that different circumstances had kept them apart. In a tense awkward situation neither of them seemed to be able to break the stare as both stood looking at one another for a moment or two, not knowing what to say until Bill broke the silence with what seemed the lamest of excuses.

“Hey, I tried to get to see you, but I had to work.”

“Hey, yeah, but you did call me.” Jenny reminded.

“Umm, yeah," Bill said, uneasy. "Jenny, I know it’s only Monday. But would you like to go to the Shell Game with me on Saturday?”

“Bill, I’d love to, but …" And Bill heard the coming letdown as Jenny found herself hesitating over the idea. "In these circumstances, I’m not sure. I’ll have to ask my Aunt.”

“Sure, I understand, I know it’s been pretty tough on you recently.” Bill Branson said, reflecting the disappointment his voice and face conveyed as though he was being pushed out. He knew what had happened to Jenny. Heck the whole school, if not town, knew what happened to her. For him, Jenny was the first girl to show a deep interest that didn't convey the superficial feelings many girls gave him in wanting to be seen dating a jock. He felt that they had connected, had something special however nothing had prepared him for this.

“I’ll speak to my Aunt about it. If I’m not able to go, perhaps we can have a meal out or something.” Jenny suggested.

“Anywhere with you is OK in my book Jenny.” Slightly mollified.

Jenny stood up on her tip toes and kissed Bill just as the bell rang warned them that first period would start soon.

"We need to hurry to register." Jenny said breaking from the kiss to a confused Bill.

"Oh." In sudden understanding. "British way of saying first period." As the two hurried into the school building.

"Um, yeah. Still learning." Jenny said a little put off.

Jenny didn’t see Bill the rest of the morning as she tried to call Aunt Jewels concerning Saturday. Leaving her a message, Jenny also tried to make doubly sure by texting her too. The only option now was just to wait and see. It was during lunch of being seated with Erika and Lucy, the girls welcomed her back in their own fashion.

“Enjoy your little vacation while the rest of us were working?” Erika taunted.

“Is this an attempt at humor Ms. Watson?”

“No, you’re British; you have no sense of humor. So, it would be pointless.”

“Oh, contraire, I do have a sense of humor alright. But I don’t think you have the IQ or brain capacity to understand it.” Jenny answered loftily over what passed for food.

“Careful Ms. Stephenson you’re not talking to Chip Monroe now you know.” Lucy hinted finally joining in the fray. At this point all three girls just laughed.

It was as they sat there laughing that their boyfriends arrived. The boys were also on first lunch this week, but next week things would change. Bill would soon start a more rigorous training schedule for the athletic season. He had already started a light training program in preparation. With only two more seasons available he would be leaving high school for College and the goal was to obtain a scholarship through athletics rather than having to pay his way through. But he would do that if he had to. He had worked hard on his grades, grades that he was proud of.

No sooner had the boys come over Shelly also made her way over. From the look on her face Jenny knew that this was not going to be a friendly visit. Mark Hammond looked over to where Jenny was looking, inwardly a groan built up, this was not going to be pretty. It was at this point others looked up as well. With her approach, Shelly smiled at them all except Jenny.

Hi Erika, Phil, Lucy, Mark.” Pausing a moment, she looked almost lovingly at Bill. “Hi Bill, can you help me with a homework problem after school?” she made a point of totally ignoring Jenny.

“No Shelly I’m not going to help you. I have a girlfriend," Bill stated, "who I don’t think will be too happy about it. You need to find someone else to help you.”

Despite being mad as hell at Shelly, Jenny sat there not saying a word. She was actually scheming to act on something she had just learned from Grandmother. Using her telepathy to reach out into other people’s minds, Jenny sensed that Mr. Snitter was nearby. Hoping to time this right she finally spoke.

“As I’m a little more polite Shelly I’ll say hi. Now regarding Bill, as he correctly stated I’m his girlfriend and he’s right, I’d not be happy with him being near you.”

Before she could respond Bill spoke again. “So, you see Shelly that’s all there is to it. Have you heard from your Aunt yet Jenny?”

At that moment Shelly stamped her foot in frustration. Then took off, bumping into Mr. Snitter the Deputy Principal. Mumbling her apologies Shelly got away as fast as she could to avoid further embarrassment. Jenny and her group were trying hard not to snigger, but failing pretty badly. Mr. Snitter looked over at them undecided if they had something to do with it. Deciding he had little in the way of proof he passed them by.

It was while Jenny listened to a teacher drawl on about what she thought was a meaningless subject a text finally arrived from her Aunt and what she basically feared. Her Aunt Jewels was nixing her chances of going to the Shell Game with Bill. But then her Aunt Jewels seemed not to have had a problem with them going out for a meal. She did confess of having a few concerns as her shoulder was still a little painful to move even with the exercises. But more than that, on a happier reflection, it would give her and Bill a little more personal time together.

Taking the initiative, she decided not to wait for Bill to phone, instead Jenny phoned him as he was not working that night.

With seeing whose number was calling Bill gave a quick “Hi,” as he pretty much darted to his room to the amusement of his family especially his sister Abi.

“Hey Jenny, what did she say?” Now he was safely in his room, hoping the answer would be yes.

“Well it's no to the Shell Game." Jenny said hearing Bill vent his disappointment of their going to the Shell Game by hitting something. "But …" teasing him briefly, "yes to us going out for a meal, plus you get to stop overnight too – woohoo.”

"Well it's better than nothing," Bill said appeased glad in where he would still be spending time with Jenny. Any time was OK with him.

"Well we do get to spend some time alone." Jenny hinted before growing silent in what she was doing.

"How about Japanese?"

"I… umm. I've never had Japanese."

"Cool, then its settled. I know this place. Miyoka." Bill said taking the opportunity. "It has the best sushi." Jenny admitted how much more she liked it compared over to Chinese. “So you lied you have had Japanese before then Ms Stephenson.”

“Just once with Erika and Lucy I tried to use chopsticks. Let’s just say it wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve ever done. Besides I wasn’t exactly lying to you.”

“Really, what would you call it?”

“OH UMM just being a little economical with the truth.”

“This is because of my remark this morning wasn’t it? The British for first period.”

“What is it you Yanks say? Oh yeah I remember, I plead the fifth.”

“Jenny you’re a flirt and you’re incorrigible.”

“But only with you Bill, you make me feel safe,”

Talking with Bill, Jenny allowed her mind to relax when she had an inspiring idea. She felt a little experiment might be in order. She was more receptive now than she had ever been before when she reached out to Bill. Since they were now in a relationship she felt her doing would not be considered inappropriate. To her delight she found him thinking of her. More was of their time together at Dixon Park, blushing and glad he couldn't see her flush, she couldn’t feel mad as she was thinking along the same line as her own hormones stirred.

**********************************************************************

Wednesday found Jenny auditioning for the role of Sandy after school. Of the three amigos, Erika and Lucy had succeeded in obtaining parts. Erika had taken the role of Rizzo and Lucy earned the role of Frenchy so now it boiled down to her. What made Jenny's passion more difficult was where Ms. Simmonds said it was to present a feeling of performing in front of an audience. Whatever her reasoning Jenny didn’t like it, she considered herself to have a better than average voice and felt that the auditions should have been behind closed doors. Maybe it was more to do in where she felt especially uncomfortable having seen members of Radical Chick sitting out in the theater seats as with and her boyfriend Bill Branson. Their claim of simply watching her as with others audition.

Prior to the audition, Jenny was thinking of her father, Michael Stephenson II and where most of the 50s rock and roll music seemed to revolve around her performance. Although even before her father's time, her father's parents, her grandparents, constantly played it. Jenny had learnt to dance to this style of music, which made her an oddity within her peer group. Her pet name within her family circle was Peggy Sue, and so too with her closest friends. Here now, she realized, was her chance to shine, not to be taken as the new girl any more. OK she thought, perhaps that was a little presumptuous to hope for. But she wanted this to be the start of acceptance.

Looking over at Ms. Simmonds and the pianist, Jenny nodded making up her mind to go all out. Jenny had chosen the song personally for her audition, devoted to her dad.

‘Take no prisoners girl,’ she thought, listening for her musical cue. Hitting the first note perfectly in looking directly at Bill she imaged it was him she was singing to as she put everything into the song.
Guess mine is not the first heartbroken
My eyes are not the first to cry
I'm not the first to know
There's just no getting over you
I know I'm just a fool who's willin'
To sit around and wait for you
But baby, can't you see
There's nothin' else for me to do.
I'm hopelessly devoted to you
But now, there's nowhere to hide
Since you pushed my love aside
I'm out of my head, hopelessly devoted to you
Hopelessly devoted to you, hopelessly devoted to you
My head is sayin', "Fool, forget him"
My heart is sayin', "Don't let go
Hold on to the end"
And that's what I intend to do
I'm hopelessly devoted to you
Jenny had studied the movie intently over this particular song. How intense the actress sang its teen angst and the performance she gave with such emotion at certain times. Jenny felt herself give over to the anguish herself as she achieved the texture by not using her abilities but of being one in love herself as Jenny used her own experience to enhance the song looking towards Bill himself for inspiration.

Overall Jenny felt that the audition had gone well looking at her two friends who looked delighted. Bill looked suitably embarrassed when he realized that her performance was aimed at him. Brittany simply looked at her, it was difficult to fathom her reaction. Most of the band members, with the exception of Nick, applauded her.

Taking her cue Jenny looked over at Ms. Simmonds who's smile radiated back at her. ‘Does this mean I have the part?’ She thought to herself, ‘not that I’m likely to find out today.’ Going over to collect her things so she could go home, a smiling Brittany approached her.

“Pretty impressive new girl, I can’t see anyone beating that.”

“Nothing is certain Brittany," Jenny said modestly. "I’m not going to expect the part. As you say I’m still the new girl.”

“Everyone knows that you three hang out," indicating Lucy and Erika. "You three have the chemistry already. Just like the three in the movie. Erika and Lucy got their parts last week. People thought that I was going to audition. No way it’s not going to happen. Jennifer. You are the best candidate for Sandy.”

As Brittany left, Bill came up to her. From his looks it was clear that he had been impressed too. Looking round she noticed that they still got a lot of attention with how other students were watching the two of them closely. Not sure if it was due to the after-school incident with Ms. Serrano or if Jenny was still ‘the foreign’ student, a fact that annoyed her more than she would admit, her circle of friends had accepted her without question. It was his just standing there, Jenny found herself so wanting Bill to take her in his arms. But that wasn’t Bill Branson she knew as he simply didn’t do things like that.

“That was great, you were singing to me, weren’t you?” As he said it Bill went bright red.

“Was I that obvious?”

“Well let me put it this way. While you were singing Britt elbowed me and started with, 'Jennifer and Bill sitting in the tree...'”

“AWWW Nooo Bill I am so sorry, I didn’t mean for that to happen,” Jenny said, immediately placing her head in her hands in despair. “I just can’t seem to stop embarrassing you.”

Bill put his arm around her just as she had wanted with him pulling her close. Enjoying the moment, Jenny found herself relaxing and fitting comfortably into his arms.

“Oh, for goodness sake you two get a room.” Erika teased deliberately being more than a little too loud, and giving the two of them more attention than they really wanted or needed.

“Hey, leave her alone Erika she’s rehearsing for the really tight clinches in the show.” Lucy said joining in the teasing.

“Come on Luce I don’t know that I got the part yet.” Jenny informed her.

“Jenny after that audition even Olivia Newton John would have been doubtful of getting the part.” Lucy looked at Erika and gave her a wicked wink. She knew that Jenny was still going to get a lot of teasing her way.

“Don’t forget the off stage clinches too Luce. I mean that’s one hell of a put up act.” Erika winked at Bill who was still a very bright red color. Jenny had meanwhile buried her face into Bill’s chest. They could all just about hear her mumbling.

“Oh Erika, Lucy just shut up, shut up, shut up." Jenny insisted, pleaded with their teasing. "Bill just please take me out of here.”

Even with the embarrassment Bill, for his part, was enjoying the closeness. Other than when they all went to the Shell Game, this was the first of where they had even cuddled openly. Not that he was blaming anyone, but hard feelings overtook him in Jenny’s growing ‘celebrity’ status in school. First it was because of her being the only foreign student. Then there was the shooting at her Aunt’s and her getting shot. All of this around school as well as town was agitating to him in that it, it had affected their relationship it seemed to him. A lot too. On reflection, with his holding her close, their not going to the Shell game was probably for the best really. He and Jenny had never been out somewhere on their own.

Bill had laughed to himself when they discussed their dinner date to Miyoka’s.‘When we go there absolutely no chop sticks', she insisted, 'just a good old knife and fork ok?’ It took him about twenty minutes of light poking to get the story out of her. In fact, he got most of it from Erika and Lucy later. He had to admit that it was a funny incident but at the same time he felt for poor Jenny. Now realizing in how naive Jenny was made him feel all the more protective of her.

“Come on let's go get you home,” Bill said , gently leading her to where her car was parked.

With a respectable distance Lucy and Erika followed behind with both girls watching the scene unfold. Despite how much they teased Jenny they were also as protective of her as Bill. For them as well, Jenny's naivety seemed to only enhance the innocent charm she possessed. Besides they had made the owner of Bikini Beach a promise of always be there to watch over Jenny.

It wouldn't be until the end of the week of when Jenny would learn if she had gotten the part and then the awareness of how little free time she would have and how things were going to get somewhat complicated. Not only was there Cheerleading , but she had the show to prepare for with rehearsals, prop designs, script reading and costumes. She had worked out where the show and cheer practice did not clash, both held on separate days after school. Bill of course was busy training for the athletics as with his job, so they would not be seeing much of each other. Which lead to what her Aunt Jewels had suggested for such a busy high schooler and her happiness.

**********************************************************************

Saturday morning saw an exhausted Jenny lying on her back in the comforts of her bed, casting her mind far to the early days of her girlhood from when she first woken. She had managed a few days of cheer practice leaving her shoulder a little stiff from the strenuous workout. Her physiotherapist, whom she called a sadist (behind her back) recommended some light exercise. She (the physio) felt that some gentle cheerleading exercise could be helpful. Coach Young was delighted to see Jenny, but her idea and Jenny’s idea of light exercise seemed to contradict each other. Now after a few days of exercise Jenny was coping pretty well by now as with having the stitches come out. When indoors, central air didn’t seem to bother her now like it used to. Her only regret, and it was small, was the ugly scar left behind on the backside where the bullet had exited. It was a pretty bad exit wound and still she looked on it in the best light given her alternative. Then there was still the matter of her father and how she missed him, guessing this unseen pain would always be the case.

The truth was they were all she had now with Jenny hauling herself out of bed. ‘But at least you’re still part of them Daddy.’ She thought given how Aunt Jewels played 'that' DVD to her friends which brought about the comfortless feelings that played through her mind. Only now it seemed more real, these memories, stronger and more distinct. Not what happened then but …, how she felt when Aunt Jewels showed it to her and Daddy when she was eleven. Thinking ‘I remember thinking I hope no one ever sees that.’ Then of where 'Grandma and Granddad used to tease me no end about it.' “Oh, Daddy I miss you so much.” She said to an empty room sobbing without warning at the thought of her lost father.

Stepping into the warmth of her shower letting the water hide the unbidden tears that morning, Jenny wondered about the school musical as the heat soothed the ache in her shoulder. Thoughts of second guessing her reasoning came to her. Was she doing the right thing? Sure, she liked that style of music as her Dad was a bit of a dance nut. He was kinda old fashioned in so many ways. The way he always said that dancing is for two people to have an excuse to get closer and enjoy the music. He danced ballroom and that kind of thing. As her thoughts rolled on, she returned back to how safe and comforting she felt with Bill when they danced. To his credit poor Bill had warned her of being not much of a dancer, but she loved the fact that he had brushed it aside with his wanting to share the dance floor with her.

Just after breakfast Jenny took to watching a little TV with Cassie, both girls emitted a loud groan as both had lost their fathers and now just as painful to both of them., was of course, the start of the big trial and its dominating the local news. For Cassie it was fair to judge the shared bond of sadness with the greater loss of her Uncle Mike. Jenny, herself shuddered when the picture of Mikhail Markovic came onto the screen. The anchorman explained of the unusualness of where no news crews or papers had been allowed into the courtroom a first in their courtrooms memory. Only a sketch artist would be allowed during the trial, played out behind closed doors, as with reported rumors rife about the devious intentions of this gang.

Surprisingly there was very little about Jenny’s mother although that was a different case. But accordingly, Markovic’s lawyer did try to subpoena Jenny. However, with Paul Owen’s damaging testimony it wasn’t necessary as the Stephenson family firmly closed ranks in order to protect Jenny. Behind backroom doors Michael Stephenson Sr. had called on friends in various areas of law in wanting to keep Jenny away from any unnecessary harm, it tore him up to see her in hospital and the knowledge of what lawyers would put her through if placed on the stand. He had felt damned proud of her too given her resilience and had taken to speak with the State Attorney General (AG) about it. Telling him in no uncertain words, ‘Gene not just no, but Hell no! I’ll take her out of the Country if I have to.’ Threatening course action as AG Gene Williams calmed down Michael Stephenson saying that after deep consultation and that she had yet to renounce her current citizenship he’d spoken to the D.A. Overall the team considered the trial in their favor given how Owens’ testimony, the evidence in Markovic’s van and the aftermath of a failed kidnapping, 'I assure you Mike, Jenny will not be placed on the stand even if subpoenaed. We will of course use her written disposition provided us as necessary.'

“Isn’t he a relative of yours Jenny? Cassie asked referring to Markovic.

“He’s a distant cousin to my Mum. But to be frank Cass, I no longer view my Mum as a relative. I’d rather forget her completely if I can.” Jenny almost whispered.

“Yeah, know what you mean. Here she was supposed to be my Aunt and was going to kill me.” Then looking at her cousin after she said it Cassie realized that she was causing her cousin some undo anguish. “Ouch sorry Jen that was insensitive. How is the shoulder today? You seem to be a little uncomfortable.”

“Yeah the sadist suggested to the school nurse some light exercise might help. The Nurse just casually mentioned it to Coach Young. I guess Coach Young has her own interpretation of light exercise. Problem is it doesn’t correspond with mine.”

“You don’t like the Physiotherapist I take it?” Cassie asked giving a smile as she did.

“No, I don’t dislike her, but I just wish she could go a little easier sometimes. Her idea of a little exercise and my view of the same don’t seem to match up.” Jenny said with the rest of the morning going quietly for Jenny. Her shoulder continued to mildly irritate her. The pain wasn’t bad enough for a pain pill. But it was enough for her to go back to using the sling for comforts sake. Feeling a little homesick she switched the cable to a few shows from across the pond. But despite the effort Jenny was feeling too unsettled to watch too much tele as she then turned to reading, but came the same result. With no homework to occupy her mind as she had completed that in study hall the hour was too early to prepare for her dinner date with Bill. Picking out her swimsuit Jenny headed to the one place she was sure to waste a few hours of her day; Bikini Beach. As an afterthought she picked up her dress and accessories for tonight. She could go straight out to her date once finished from the park. After texting Bill what time and where she would meet him Jenny went in search of her Aunt and Cousin letting them know as well to where she was.

"And how do you propose to get there. Cassie asked as Jenny readjusted her arm in the sling. "You can't drive obviously."

"Well, Cuz, I guess it would be nice." Jenny hinted sheepishly in the flaw of her plan.

"And you're to give us a full report of what went on." Cassie hinted openly as she drove Jenny over to the water park. "Else I'll spread wild rumors of how he ravished you not showing any hint of remorse for what you've been going through."

"You wouldn't," Jenny gasped only to see the teasing look her cousin was giving her. "Your evil, you know that Cuz? Just utterly Evil." Giving a giggle over the idea.

"That's what cousins are for," Cassie said, in agreement. "Now do we have a deal?"

"That’s utter blackmail. Are you sure you aren’t in cohorts with Lucy and Erika?" Only to give a nod as her phone went off brightening more of her day.

**********************************************************************

It was as three men made their way over to the sales booth they uncontrollably veered direction over towards the grey office building. Of the three, Jozef involuntarily gave a small gulp as the matron for the park cast an evil eye towards him.

"This way," she indicated having already opened the door escorting them inside. It was her look that made him feel small, secondary. Days of his youth came to mind when he used to sneak into his bunică's kitchen for a forbidden treat knowing he wasn't allowed to. He had done so many times before having never been caught then to have his own bunică discover who had been pinching her ciocolată. He tried to deny it of course, except for the evidence of smeared ciocolată covering his mouth as with the sticky residue on his fingers. He simply could not resist the Romanian treats she had always sent for from the home country. She had of course scolded him with a few well-placed swats for being a thief and liar as with his impatience along with a time out in the corner, his nose pressed firmly against the wall. Later she pulled him into her lap as she let him have a few of the toffee flavored candy as she went over once again the many stories from her youth which didn't make sense at the time. He would learn later of why she referred to playing as a boy. Yet that was her way. To exact punishment when merited yet show she still loved her cuii.

Walking into the office, he would expect no such luxury of forgiveness from this matron.

"So, you thought to escort him into the park without my knowing?" Once Grandmother seated herself behind her desk. Both Paul Owen and Steven Richards look at him as did Grandmother, but for other reasons.

"What's going on?" Paul Owen asked. "You said I'd be allowed to see my daughter one last time."

"Is this what you promised Jozef? I thought you better than others in not being deceitful."

She waited as he readied his answer. He was the one she focused on, as he felt the shiver run its course with her displeasure.

"I didn't lie Grandmother only I saw no reason to explain further. I didn't think it would make a difference."

"Oh? So, you were going to just let him in."

"Not exactly."

"Excuse me, what's going on here." Special Agent Steven Richards asked, just as confused. "I was under the impression we were supposed to take Mr. Owen here to a safe house before his appearance in court."

"Excuse me, Mr. Richards," as Grandmother turned her attention to him. "It seems Officer Donovan made certain… promises… without fully consulting certain parties or individuals." Jozef cringed when Grandmother took to addressed him in his official duty.

"Still I may allow such a transaction to commence." She looked at Jozef. "For a price."

"Now wait a minute," Paul Owen demanded. "We had a deal. My turning state evidence for my co-operation and safety. I held up my end of the bargain." Looking at the older woman. "Just what the hell is going on here?"

"Put your phone away, Mr. Richards." When the Federal agent removed his to call upon his superiors. "That won't be necessary. Don’t worry Mr. Owen I’ll get to you in a moment." Without understanding why, Steven Richards dutifully pocketed his phone.

"Jozef," her demeanor softening. "Did you really think I was not already aware of the deal you had struck? If you had come to me as I had expected."

"It was never my intention to deceive you Grandmother."

"No. Jozef it wasn't. Not until you heard what happened to Jenny. You let your anger take hold and your willingness to jeopardize a very important case by asking for a Lifetime membership. Like us, you have to temper that hatred else you too can fall within its grasp."

"So, will you allow the purchase? A limited membership?"

"For a price, I see no reason to prevent it."

"So, what are you asking?"

She slid a piece of paper Jozef's way causing a small whistle from Agent Richards when he saw the asking price.

"That's a steep price you're asking for letting this scumbag see his daughter one last time?” The venom in his (Steve Richards) voice shocked Paul Owen to the core. If that wasn’t enough the look of pure disgust in his eyes caused him to shrink back. “Do you have any idea what this will do to our department’s budget?"

"None, “Jozef replied. "She means for me to make the purchase out of my own expenses." Causing Richards to look at the officer. The cost alone was over one, if not two months' salary.

"So, I'm to be staying in the area?" Paul Owen asked mildly confused.

"In a manner, yes. You will be well hidden from those seeking you out." Grandmother replied cryptically. "Well."

"A hefty price for my penance and oversight of my discretion. I accept."

"See it more of a costly matter for letting yourself be swayed by your anger. You usually have better judgment over it. There is of course the matter of accommodating Mr. Owen." Satisfied Grandmother looked over towards Steven then Jozef. "You have questions wanting answered Agent Richards. Jozef will provide most once inside."

"Of course, bunică." Having handed over what looked like a black credit card.

"Have a seat over in the lounge area." It was almost an order not a request. "Not you Mr. Owen. This will only take a moment."

"Just what the hell is going on here Jozef." Agent Richards asked, not knowing why he complied.

"Watch and observe. She's teaching me a lesson of what arrogance can do. I let past feelings cloud my judgment trying to pull a fast one over her."

And as they waited, Field Agent Steven Richards watched in fascination as the image of Paul Owen shimmered. His balding crown slowing darkened with a fresh outcrop of a once receding hairline grew out, lightened to a wavy chestnut flow of cascading hair down his back. Flowing to a shifting inward waistline Paul Owens waist tapered steadily while his slacks seemed to go from a light charcoal to one textured denim, unweaving itself to a very short denim design that a man of no age would wear. Developing cheeks slowly spilled from where broken strands of string frayed themselves around the cutoffs giving an enticing view of what lay hidden between the folds. Facial features softened in a once darkened complexion, taking a lighter shade of skin from not nearly enough sun. Fingers tapered, as arms thinned removing minor flaws of flabbiness and the tightening of skin.

Legs seemed to go upwards in opposition to his diminishing height by several inches. Eyes went green, as the fear that once seemed to captivate him drained away as if his consciousness was to. Stockings of various rainbow colors weaved themselves upwards in multi-facet shades of red, yellow, blue, and other variations in-between. The pattern ended just above the knees. Tennis shoes replaced once worn oxford's. A purple crop filled out to where his shirt had once been, leaving two small mounts covered inside as his breasts filled out. If one looked closely they could detect the piercing of nipples. Sleeves crawled upwards from a once expensive shirt, now ordaining themselves over slender shoulders into a sleeveless crop as the cutoff rolled upwards leaving her midriff exposed and knotted for easy removal just above the small display of her belly button now pierced as well.

With the once Paul Owns transformation continuation, Steven Richards watched silently unsure what he was seeing as the once man now took on the likings of a young woman. He placed her at 30 years of age, no her lower 20's as her name seemed to come to him with his having scanned the internet. His failure to properly configure the antivirus's settings and his wife's amusement of seeing the image of Candie Stripe appear from where she advertised her services on those wishing to visit her site. It wasn't her real name, he was sure. Just a convenient way of attracting customers due to their misspelling to work past the settings, bring others to see her with an innocent query of looking for sweets.

"I'm sorry we can't help you." Grandmother was saying bringing Agent Richards out of his trance like state. "But as I've said, the park has only a limited number of space and as these two gentlemen have purchased the last available passes I'm unable to sell anymore. I have to leave a certain number available for the ones who have lifetime memberships."

"That's okay." Candie said looking as if she would blow a bubble only she didn't have any. She used that only for show. "I was just hoping for a bit of fun away from the camera." Candie didn't shy away from who she was. Hers was a profession of her own making. She was sure she could find another place to actually ply her trade. The number of men was actually pretty low it seemed with taking in the comings and goings of customers. The woman she saw didn't seem the type as they brought in their kids and husbands. She just saw it as a means to supplement her income.

"I'm sure you'll find others more suited for what you wish." Grandmother agreed, concluding her business with the young woman.

"What, what just happened," Richards asked as he watched the young woman try to entice him by the swaying of hips and the tightening of her butt cheeks in her short shorts as she left. She put on her darkened sunglasses before stepping out into the light.

"You once asked how I, as with Officer Archer, were able to obtain the high results of catching certain criminals. The matter has to do with who we are, indicating Grandmother and himself.

"For Grandmother, she is a woman who possesses great magic whereas I only possess certain skills. I can detect magic, be it in their possession or around, as with knowing if a person has been changed by it. I don't advertise these abilities. It's for the animosity of certain individuals who come here and the fear of learning if others knew I keep silent. I also have a certain intuition that I'm trying to further develop."

“So, Owen just walks free?”

“No Agent Richards, Paul Owen is like that for the next month. Grandmother informed him. “Providing of course she doesn’t have any little accidents. Then she will have earned a lifetime membership to Motherhood.”

“Grandmother will have supplied her with the idea of keeping current with her birth control Steve. But it will be up to her to take it and not be reckless.”

“Huh if it had been up to me I’d have made sure she had fertility drugs instead.”

“Why Agent Richards do I detect a little vindictiveness?” Grandmother answered smirking as she said it. “Candie Stripe has an apartment near the college. There is enough of Paul Owen in her to recognize his daughter when he sees her. I admit the fertility pills would be a nice touch considering what he and Markovic were planning for Jenny.”

"But if you know of this place, what of our government?" Steve Richards said reverting the conversation back a little.

"They know nothing," Grandmother stated. "I created this place as a haven for woman to feel safe inside without prying eyes from leeches, and others."

"And my wife and daughter. They've been here numerous times."

"Are perfectly fine. The water has no effect on them."

"Just how adventurous are you?" Jozef asked once he retrieved his credit card from Grandmother. "How open minded are you to willingly step inside knowing what can happen."

"But this place, you could use it for –"

"Jozef. Your passes are waiting." Cutting off the conversation. "Why don't you escort Agent Richards to the showers."

"I didn't expect to be spending time here." Only to stare in amazement when Grandmother produced a set of trunks for him. He looked towards Jozef.

"I have my own set with me," showing the bundled towel.

"Don't worry, Jozef will explain more once your inside."

"Follow me." Jozef said rising from his seat.

"I don't know."

"Would it assure you to know that I'm a frequent member here? I go inside willingly. The effect is only for the duration of the amount of days purchased. I had planned on spending the day. It's been a stressful few weeks for me and coming here provides me a chance to unwind as the person I become isn't the same. Even if it is temporary. It will end sometime in the morning without you knowing. Not unless your one to spend the night away. Then you have to hurry, else others may see you change if they're not in the know. Are you a Star Trek fan?"

“I’ve seen it but Chelle is more of a fan than I, I just kinda tolerate it.” Steve Richards lied.

“Well think of this no more than just a visit to the Holosuite.” Escorting the man out the door.

"Why a shower," as the two walked towards the men's shower. "What's to stop us from just walking in?"

"Would you like to try?" Pointing the way towards where woman sauntered in taking their kids or to where others walked hand in hand.

And like a few men before him, Steven found himself turning away once he neared the entrance unable to stop himself. Several more times he tried only to find himself turned away.

"She claims it's for health reasons." Jozef explained.

"That's bull, there's no such regulation." Only to see Jozef form a small grin. "We know that, but most men don't, or seem to forget. As for your being turned away, it’s a preventive method for men doing what you tried to do. I've watched woman just waltz in once they passed the turnstile. The owner's way of protecting her sanctuary if you will, of not allowing men to even look inside. You never noticed the woman walking past you."

"Umm, no, now that I think of it. It was like I had forgotten something only to stop once I realized I hadn't."

"Come on, lets hit the showers."

It was as the two went in Steven thought he saw a glint in Jozef's eyes or was it just the way the sun had hit his face.

As a trained observer, he was sure he had seen several others walk in, and yet none were inside except for the two.

Undressing. "Is she a man hater or something?"

"You wouldn't hear that from me, but the answer is no. She just wishes to have a place for women to have a safe haven, or refuge without others ogling them. This ensures that means." Indicating the Men's Showers.

Standing in the shower with the water running over him, Stevens body relaxed as tense muscles gave way. For weeks, he had been on edge with his needing to watch over Paul Owen case. He wondered how he was going to explain this to his superiors as the hot water massaged his muscles further lightening tense muscles. He found himself closing his eyes, stepping further under the shower head having set it to pulse, letting it massage his scalp as he let such tangible thoughts slip away. Eyes closed, he failed to see of where the pink mist appeared. He knew something would happen, only to find himself not caring as he relaxed further. Part of him though of his daughter Sophie and how she was starting that age of wonder, being of carefree wants except the desire to play and enjoy the thrill of being a young girl of five as she became more aware of her world. He thought how it would feel to be so carefree once more. Not at such a young age, but old enough to enjoy many of life's enjoyments as when he had been a young lad of ten. Sure, he had responsibilities, only they were mild compared to those of an adult with his needing only to enjoy summers frolics or running across fresh mowed grass, the blades clinging to exposed feet having finished, or to be finish of needed chores such as cleaning his room having littered it with his imagination.

And as he daydreamed, the magic seized on these thoughts as the pink vapor took hold. His trunks changed form, rearranged itself in that of a smaller apparel of white with roses adorned. Splashed of color filled out uneven portions as the fabric worked its way around small girlish hips waiting for the day when puberty would start to set in, taking the girl towards the start of womanhood. He failed to notice how the water had shifted as he subconsciously shifted under the shower to keep himself immersed from above as his body decreased from his height of five foot ten. Small pubescent nubs displayed themselves on a tiny framed chest in what had once been covered in heavy body hair. If he had seen, portions would have fallen off vanishing into the very air as others seemed to recede inwards only to grow thinner, lighter over his body on the fine strands of a young child barely seen unless looked at very closely. With his diminished height of being four feet, his once muscular arms from daily workouts show that of a slenderness with just enough reach to turn the handles as he did now.

He felt energized from the soothing water as with a mild disorientation as he looked to where the handle now stood, just in front of his eyes. And as Steven looked over her little fingers, the nails had been painted light red with small dots of white scattered across in domino shapes. That was except for a few that had been painted to what looked like Hello-kitties, causing a soft giggle to come from him only to grow frightened even with his knowing.

Tepidly he stepped past the curtained shower, unsure. Looking around just outside the stall he took to placing a towel around his small shoulders letting it fall over his front as he heard the sounds of a soft soprano voice, before the water stopped. And as he stood just outside the stall a woman dressed in the most reveling bikini he had ever saw, lightly stepped out. She gave a flip of her head sending black hair tumbled backwards letting the long dark stands fly back spraying drops of water off before falling between slender shoulder blades. Steven though how pretty she was as with where she couldn't have been no older than twenty-two. Twenty-five at the most. And as he stood there gawking she turned towards him giving a light laugh.

"Well its seems Grandmothers not done with my punishment." Waving for him to come forward.

Slowly Steven walked towards her on the balls of small footed steps, as a new set of feelings took hold. Forms of affection dominated him towards the woman in that he missed her even for such a short duration. She seemed huge to him as neared her with his needing to take larger steps than he normally would. "Why is everything so big?" He stopped when he heard the shrill sound of a young girl, and he grew worried ready to run towards her as he heard knew who's voice it was.

"Hmm," and with outstretched arms the woman waited on the child. "You have the hair of your father. Come here, let's have a better look at you. "And like an obedient child, Steven found himself falling into the woman's waiting arms as he started to tremble.

"Shhh. It's okay dragă. Nothing to be frighten of. Come let's go have a look together." And the two went over to the hanging mirror affixed on the door and as he looked he saw the young girl standing before him as with the young woman. The two almost looked alike except the woman's hair was black where the girls were a dark brown. The hair flowed down her sides, tickling her just below the shoulders.

"What were you thinking, when you were in the shower?" Josie asked curious.

"How tense I was," Steven said in his girlish child voice. "Thinking how it was when I had more time to relax."

Looking back into the mirror he saw the girl looking shy towards him. Raising a hand towards the wet hair, it felt chilly, only to have the Josie pull it out from under the towel. To see her mimic his moves before him as the older woman ran splayed fingers through the fine hair, separating them. The little girl did as he did, grasped the towel more firmly in the middle. Afraid to expose more of her chest even as he knew the woman had seen it many times before when he had readied himself for bed or a bath. Her arms looked like sticks as did her legs. He felt so out of place looking at the girl and his eyes stared to water. Why did he allow himself to be talked into coming into the park?

And as he waited, Josie's arms stayed comfortably around him, pulling him close in a warm embrace.

"Don't be frightened bebelus." He looked into her face, his clearly of fright. He knew she called him baby, more of affectionate than condescending.

"Am I being punished?"

"No. You're not the first to go through this. It always comes as a shock for most." Slowly Steven calmed himself as Jozef held onto him, cradled in her arms. He felt so timid, afraid, pressing himself into her warm bosom, lying in her arms, yet comfortable like any young girl given her situation. With her holding him, he felt more like the girl of eight he portrayed. Soon she would be nine as new thoughts entered her mind and the planned party of her friends.

It was as they were waiting, sitting there, the mirror moved away allowing the entry of Grandmother.

"So, I seem to have a minor problem Grandmother." Josie jested as Steven stared up to Grandmother.

"Yes, you do Josie." Steven looked up at Jozef in question. Had she made a joke? She didn't remember of where her uncle made such things.

"Ah, well I can't be my other self can I. Don't try saying your male name. You can't. For now, my names Joslin. You can call me mommy."

"Yes, mommy." Steven said unquestioningly.

"And what is your name young lady?" He looked at his mommy unsure.

"Don't be afraid, answer her."

"Zina. Zina Donovan." For some reason, she resisted the urge to hide behind the woman as she might drop her covering.

"Yes, it wouldn't be unfortunate if it did, eh Zina." To Grandmothers amusement. "Yes, I read your thoughts. And here." Producing a matching top for her bottom, Zina looked at the offending garment. It seemed to appear like a garden snake had hissed at her having slithered out of the bushes as she stared at it.

"Allow me, Grandmother. She seems a little shy at the moment, probably still the shock of seeing herself as with being my – daughter," Josie said taking hold of the offered garment, wrapping the girl within it. "Much better."

"Umm, why is she my mommy? Why am I not bigger?"

"A form of punishment for her in a way, but more of a chance for the two of you to learn more of the other," Grandmother said cryptically. "Now the both of you enjoy yourselves and you," tousling Zina's hair affectionately, "at her expense. Your mommy needs a little reminder of whom she can confide in. I know Josie will take good care of you." Finished Grandmother escorted the two out, departing from them.

"Well it seems the devil woman wants us to spend more of your uncle's money."

"Why?" It wasn't long in answer as Zina tenderly walked on her toes as she followed her now mother.

Seated high on one of the benches, Zina sipped on her smoothie relishing in the banana flavor as she swung her legs haphazardly beneath the bench, her feet encased in daisy covered flip flops with painted toes exposed. She tried to pay attention once again to what her mother (whom she found herself accepting) was saying except she kept finding herself distracted. She had the exuberance of a young child.

Once the two had entered, Josie bought her a new pair of flipflops then the two went around on several rides. She couldn't contain her energy as she scurried, pulling the woman to yet another only to wait with her bouncing excitedly wanting the line to hurry. She found herself so filled with energy as she saw couples placed in rafts as with her mommy holding onto her, so she wouldn't stray. The pair clinging tightly as they rode in a tube for two. Both laughed as the two nearly drowned when waves of water crashed over them at the end.

She ran around like a wildebeest let loose as she played over jets of water shooting up from the ground. She tried stomping on the thin streams to her mother's amusement as they shot upwards. It was like some inner child demon had been let loose onto the world locked away for so long. With the expectation of a child Zina tried to wait as she stood underneath a giant bucket of water as it tilted back and forth and the ticking down of a digital clock. An as the timer grew nearer to zero a large crowd of girls had gathered soon after. And when it did Zina found herself screaming in delight with a torrent of water released drenching all those underneath. Off to the side her mother watched as did several others not wishing to be thoroughly drenched by the cascading waterfall.

Now somewhat tired Zina sucked down another smoothie as her mother tried once more to keep her interest.

"What's that over there?" Zina asked where she saw what looked like several girls diving off of a tall set of platforms. To the far right she could see the climbing tower her mother had refused to let her climb, saying she wasn't ready for it, causing her to pout. She had wanted to join several other girls in racing only they were full, and she couldn't swim all that well. Inside she knew Steven was an excellent swimmer.

Pensively Josie answered. "The junior swimming academy," Zina heard what sounded like sorrow.

It was then she knew her mommy was keeping something back. Something that had made her ask, "What happened Mommy that made Uncle Jozef sad and upset when he heard how Jenny was hurt?"

"Zina," Josie said as she went to cradle her daughter. "Bomboană. Those people, her own mother, hurt her more than a lot of people know. Not just her shoulder but in her mind too. Her memories are not of a caring Mommy like you have."

"I know."

"No sweetheart, you don't. Your uncle, he takes his job very seriously. You heard us talk of the magic in our family." Zina gave an amazed nod in that she did. It ran in parts of their family. Her uncle was one as was her mommy. "Awhile back there was this family. A boy not much older than you are now. Well he promised to protect the boy."

It was then something came to her. Something she knew about the park. "Mommy is Jenny like me?"

In a sad voice, "Yes, she is. And just like the boy, Jenny has to stay a girl because of what the bad mother did." And as the two sat there, Zina felt very sad for her mother, for it seemed to hurt her uncle very bad.

"Why doesn't he talk about it. It makes me feel better when I tell how I hurt."

"It's not easy for him, for me. But today I feel like saying how sad he is for what he knows he couldn't stop. Grandmother and Anya said it wasn't his fault, he did his best. He just can't seem to accept that. He thinks his best wasn't good enough."

"And Jenny? What of Uncle's intuition."

"It doesn’t work the way he would like. It may lead him to someone or someplace, but he doesn’t know for what and it seems he never will." Hugging Zina closer. "It told him to go somewhere that day, only it wasn't for Jenny. It was for someone else. He couldn't ignore it. He started to blame himself for Jenny's mom hurting her – really bad."

"That's why Grandmother was mad at him." She saw the sad nod. "Is that why I'm your daughter?"

"In a way. I think she saw someone I could trust in telling." Wiping a tear away. "It hurts to know what you can't stop."

Not really knowing why, Zina hugged her Mother. “I love you Mommy.”

Finished, both mother and daughter went back to having fun. It was mid-afternoon when they saw a young girl come towards them, her arm cast in a sling. Due to what she felt was an ugly scar on her shoulder. Jenny had thought about wearing a one-piece swimsuit now. What disturbed her was the scar at the front and back as well. She had been told numerous times that the scar would fade in time and that it really was a very neat sewing job. Unfortunately, she was unconvinced of this. In the end she found out incredulously that the one piece made her feel more conspicuous.

"Jenny!" Squealed Zina rushing up to the girl nearly throwing herself onto the poor girl.

"Zina!" Yelled her mother. "Don't run." It was then Zina remembered how hurt Jenny was. Gently she gave the girl a hug around the waist. "Does it hurt? I hurt my knee once, I cried real bad."

"Only when I laugh." Jenny playfully said as she tussled the girl's straw hat shading her from the sun. "Grandmother said I should find you." She had a quizzical look on her face.

"Either punishment or lesson, possibly both." Causing the girl to question her more.

"Come, let's head over to one of the pavilions where we can talk more privately."

"Where's Anya?" Jenny asked, "I wanted to ask more questions." She looked at Zina strangely. It was if she was contemplating something.

"I don't know," Josie stated. "I've been busy keeping my daughter occupied." Together the three strolled their way to a more secluded spot. "How's your shoulder?"

"Just a graze, corny line I know but I’ve always wanted to say that. Still hurt like the dickens. The doctors want me to take it easy for a few more weeks." Jenny paused a moment to gather her thoughts. “To be honest I did overdo it a little yesterday at cheerleading.”

"Zina can mommy trust you to go get us some drinks?"

"But I wanna stay." Sensing that something important was going to be talked about.

"Zina, I'm asking nice. You won't miss much I promise."

"Can I have another smoothie shake?"

"If it means doing as I say. Yes."

"Goodie."

"Now scoot. Tell them to put in on mommy's account."

"K."

"You trust her going by herself?" Jenny asked, unsure of letting a little girl alone. Jenny was thinking of another little girl who had just as much energy. Her coming in contact with Zina reminded her on how she missed Melanie more than she first realized. Realizing this also played to similar fears for Melanie at Heathrow. Smiling to herself she thought of the way that the young girl had chastised her. A week or so back. ‘I really must Skype Katie and Melanie tomorrow.’ Jenny thought to herself.

"Zina's safe. I trust Grandmothers going to make sure we have a few minutes to ourselves."

Reaching out, taking hold of Jenny's free hand. "Jenny, I'm sorry for what I couldn't stop."

"I, I don't understand. How?"

"Why did you look at my daughter? Why did you look at me strangely when you first walked up?"

"I don't know, it's just that there's something strange about you two. Something that I can’t quite put my finger on."

"Well for starters, unlike others, I can tell you who I am, if I wish. Don't ask Zina. It's not polite because it scares them and its worse for those who don't even know themselves."

"You know? Grandmother said others can't… tell."

"Jenny do you really think Anya and Grandmother are the only ones who can do magic? Or have telepathic abilities?" Jenny shook her head no. "I can't really, but I can sense magic as with those who've been changed. Zina can't even if she is my daughter for the moment. Saying that though I’m not sure how much of this she’ll remember when she reverts back to her former self." Which caused Jenny to become startled at this. “Try not to worry over it. It will be more for my benefit than yours.” Taking to gently hold the girls hand in comfort.

"I wanted her gone for a few minutes, so we can have this talk. Understand that being able to read one's thoughts can make others uncomfortable. You know that males come in here and change. I'm sure as you grow stronger you may be able to tell who, but there's more to this. Some come here for their own reasons, while others don't."

"I think I understand." And as they talked Zina came skipping back with their drinks. "The lady had them waiting." Pleased she handed Jenny a diet coke while giving Josie hers. She climbed up on a chair looking expectantly at the two.

"As I was saying, now that miss nosy is back. There's a side of the magic that we have to be aware of. A side that few don't understand about until it's possibly too late."

"I think Anya mentioned it. She said it was the dark side of something."

"Yes, the good and the bad. Both her and Grandmother are more attuned to it than us as with Selena and… Melody."

"Who's Melody?" Even Zina looked expectantly in not knowing.

"A young girl I know. We haven’t been on the best of terms of late. Anyway, we have to be on our guard. Anger is a strong force for bringing us over to its side. For some its slow, for others it can be fast."

"Wait, I’ve heard of her, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen her or come across her at any time. So, when do we know? Do we have a test or something?"

"Let me explain," Josie said, as people passed them by barely glancing their way. Part of Josie found herself thinking of Grandmother and the Wiley way she used this situation as both a learning and healing matter for her. She'd think of a proper gift later in gratitude.

Together the three talked more earnestly or more readily two did as Zina sat there swinging her legs, to and fro, privileged to listen in on what others normally didn't hear.

An hour or so later Jenny found herself in the changing rooms as it was nearly time and the need was now in getting ready for her dinner with Bill. Showering one handed, well one armed was not easy. But also, was when she recalled how the last time she was doing this here. She knew back then her being Michael was just a few days away. Not this time though, for there was no more Michael. It saddened her to admit how she was sure her being Jenny now was the right decision though. If she had waited for the police, there would be no Aunt Jewels and no Cassie just as there would be no Jenny with her looking into the locker where her new dress hung. Jenny found herself embracing her femininity. Shaking her head, ‘Come on Jenny snap out of it.’ She thought to herself. 'Bill's going to be here soon and you need to hurry.'

And with the thought of Bill he had phoned her on her cell as she undressed and took a shower once again enjoying the relaxed feeling she received about to set out. He informed her that their dinner date was to be at Giordano’s instead of Miyoka. Closing her eyes, she remembered the first time she first used these showers and the shock she got. Now though she never had to worry about that again. ‘The good thing now though is that I have Bill,' she thought. It was Bill who insisted that their first dinner date was going to be special. ‘MMM that’s why he changed the venue’ she realized. Joslin’s voice brought her out of her reverie.

“Sit down Jenny I’ll do your hair for you.”

“What of Zina?”

“Mommy's going to let me help of course.” She answered rolling her eyes. “You dry Mommy I’ll brush.”

“Sorry Zina I should have realized,” Jenny said apologetically. 'This is going to be quite an experience,' Jenny thought as she sat down.

Over the next twenty minutes Joslin quietly blow-dried Jenny’s hair. Zina brushed it sometimes not too softly and kind of dragged the tangles out of her hair until Josie took to reminding Zina how rough she was doing her dolls hair which caused her to be gentler. Despite all that, she found it wasn’t too bad an experience really. With Zina’s help it probably took a lot longer to do it, but Jenny actually felt relaxed and enjoyed it. They finished it by tying it into a French braid.

“WOW! Great job guys thank you. It looks a lot better than it would have with one hand.”

Realizing that even dressing one handed was going to be difficult Jenny asked Joslin to help her dress. Taking out the black strapless demi bra, she put it on. Doing it one handed. That was not so bad as it was after all front fastening. Putting on her Donna Karen nude collection pantyhose was a challenge. Joslin effectively ensured that Jenny’s feet were placed where they should be. But it was putting on the little Black Dress that would have caused the biggest problem. But once again Joslin helped ease it over Jenny’s sore shoulder. With that the three hugged, and then mother and daughter left Jenny alone

Looking herself over in the mirror she realized that this was probably going to be the sassiest she had ever looked having stepped into the white two-inch strappy shoes. Applying a little blusher to tone her face Jenny was always conscious never to use too much. "Just enough made you look great, too much made you look cheap." Her Aunt Jewels said. Then came the putting on of eyeliner; just enough to highlight her eyes with the final touch applying some lipstick. ‘Not sure about the hair but it’s too late now’ she thought.

Walking out of the changing room she felt good about everyone looking at her. The looks of sheer jealousy and spite that she felt from a few girls scared her momentarily as with the thoughts of some boys causing her to go red when, ‘Yeah you wish’ filled her mind going back to the adage in the UK ‘I’m fed up not hard up.’ Over the receiving looks.

“I hope your Aunt doesn’t see you looking like that. She’ll be keeping you under lock and key if she does.” Anya teased. “Girl, you look amazing I’m just happy Greg’s not here I’d have to muzzle him or something.”

“Thanks Anya, I think for the first time since... since the first time I’ve become a woman I've been so confident.”

“Just don’t get too confident or several of us will petition your Aunt to lock you up or keep you away from our boyfriends,” Anya said letting a warm smile take the edge off her comments. Anya hugged Jenny and whispered that it was good to see she was happier.

At 6:45 in front of the main entrance a car arrived to where a hurried Bill rushed out of his car to meeting Jenny. In a gentlemanly fashion he opened the passenger side for her as eyes took in the sight before him.

“Why thank-you kind sir,” Jenny said, demurely as she gave a small curtsey to him.

“You’re welcome Milady.” Bill responded as he bowed to her.

“Get a room you two,” Anya shouted to them. The remark reminded Jenny of what Erika and Lucy had said in school earlier in the week after the audition. Jenny’s response was hardly ladylike as she looked over her shoulder at Anya and stuck her tongue out. Both girls laughed, Anya happy about how happy Jenny seemed to be.

The drive to Giordano's was mostly quiet. Truth be known Jenny was feeling a little out of her comfort zone in their first ‘alone’ date in a restaurant. After driving to the restaurant, Bill bent down to kiss his date as Jenny was getting out of the car. She felt an unexpected tingle as she realized just what Bill was seeing with her sliding out of the car alluringly. He tried hard to look her in the eyes, but like most teenage boys his eyes wandered a little, especially as she was exiting the car with Jenny not really having had a great deal of practice at exiting out of a car in a ladylike manor. Previously she had always worn jeans or pants and was in the drivers' seat.

As they walked, the short distance to the restaurant, Jenny wondered just how much kidding she was going to have to endure about this. She was sure that Aunt Jewels and Cassie would tease her mercilessly over this. In a strange conciliatory way, it felt good to know for it meant how much they loved her. It was true that Cass was more like a big sister to her just as Maria was too. She shuddered inwardly remembering why she was teased the last time. What made it worse was that her Aunt joined in the fray as well.

In what seemed like no time at all as they entered Bill took her by the arm, making sure it was her good arm. As they walked through Jenny could see the turning of many heads. She stifled a giggle when one man’s wife or girlfriend elbowed him for taking his eyes ‘off the ball’ as they say. Leading her to the Maître de Bill informed Mr. Giordano that they had a table booked, who looked at his list.

“Mr. Branson, Ms. Stephenson, welcome I have your table ready.” Looking over at Jenny as he escorted them to their table Mr. Giordano detected the frown. After their seating, “Ms. Stephenson, I know you requested I refer to you by your given name, but understand my need to maintain a certain Esprit de corps in my profession.” Pausing a moment. “Plus, what would my wife think if I called you by your first name when you look so stunning.” Jenny couldn’t help but notice a twinkle in his eyes when he mentioned his wife.

“Mr. Giordano, I apologize for being so inconsiderate to you. My only excuse was that I’d been through a lot that day and I see now it was very rude of me.” Pausing for a moment, looking at him she continued. “I noticed that you love your wife very much, please forgive me.”

“There is nothing to forgive. I do hope that the sling will not prevent you having a wonderful evening.” With that he made his way back to his serving station. The end of the conversation left Jenny feeling like a character from one the Godfather movies.

“Not that I’m complaining Bill, but what made you change your mind?”

“I thought that I’d take my best girl to the best place in town.”

“Best girl? I thought I was your only girl.” Jenny said coyly.

Bill answered, “Well that too." Uncertain. "Don't you like Italian?”

“I’ve been here just once and the only Italian food I’ve eaten is Pizza, calzone and pasta. That includes a couple of spaghetti meals.”

“Hmm I see you need to be educated then.” Bill hinted relieved.

It was then a waiter interrupted their growing banter asking them for their drinks order. As both were under 21 alcohol was not a given item they could choose. Bill took to asking for a coke, and Jenny requesting her usual, a root beer.

“What’s this, an English girl asking for a root beer? That has to be a first.”

“You mean a half American girl requesting a root beer.” Jenny countered.

“Touché." Bill said in earnest. "I've forgotten that detail. Still would you mind if I ordered for you? There’s this dish I really want you to try and I'm sure you’ll love it. You do trust me, don’t you?”

“OK I do trust you perfectly. I mean you work at 'Pizza Palace' and that’s Italian,” Jenny said slightly confused. Intuitively her girl memories were no use to her with this, hence the rather strange comment she just made. Bill simply smiled at her remark unaware as they continued with their conversation.

Looking over the menu Bill seemed confident in what they would want. In many ways this was still difficult for Jenny. Parts of the old Michael seemed to dominate her there sometimes. Probably due to her sudden transition plus the memories were still fresh in her mind. It was at times like that that she was happy that Erika and Lucy knew everything. Jenny realized that she really was going to need a lot of help through this. In her mild reflection, their waiter approached.

Are you ready? The waiter asked.

It was after Bill cleared his throat that astonished Jenny and the waiter when in fluent Italian:

“Per un antipasto due Bruschetta due fettuccini al burro. Il nostro corso principale
potrei anche avere una coca e una birra di radice por favore.”

Truth be known Bill knew that almost all the waiting staff at Giordano were Italian and noted when first seated that the waiter was indeed Italian as well.

“You speak Italian as well?” Jenny sounded astounded.

“My Mom’s parents, my grandparents are Italian immigrants. No surprise really, why else would they own a pizza takeaway? I guess like you I grew up with a second language spoken frequently.”

“What exactly did you ask for?” Jenny asked. Her words sounded worried now as she didn’t recognize anything in what she had heard.

“I ordered two bruschetta, a toasted bread, rubbed with garlic, olive oil and can be topped with tomato and salad.”

“I think I’ve seen that, it sounds good.”

“I also ordered two fettuccine al burro. Its fettuccine tossed in parmesan cheese and butter.”

“Parmesan smells like sweaty socks. Although I have to admit I do like parmesan.” Jenny grinned as Bill looked very relieved.

“You sound like Abi, that’s the kinda thing she’d come out with.

“What can I say Bill? I told you she was a smart girl.” They both laughed at that. At that moment the waiter brought over their drinks. “Don’t tell me you ordered drinks too.”

There was not much more conversation. Jenny just took in their surroundings and started to enjoy it. Looking across at Bill she smiled a few times, letting him know she was enjoying their togetherness. It was one of those moments when words would seem to only get in the way. Reaching across the table Bill took her hands in his enjoying the mood.

“Thank you for coming out with me tonight. I was disappointed about the Shell Game, but this is much better.”

“I think in the circumstances Aunt Jewels was quite right. With my shoulder aching as it does. I don’t think I’d have been much fun trying to dance tonight.”

Jenny watched as Bill grew pensive for a moment. Obviously, he wanted to say something, but was very unsure about it. “I’m not sure quite how to ask you this Jenny, with you and your family and so on.”

“What do you mean Bill? My family and everything.” Jenny sounded and indeed was very nervous of what he was going to ask.

“After our first date," Bill said, "your Aunt and Cassie speaking with my family, particularly my sister, umm, concerning you getting shot at your Aunts home. Well they want to meet you, I guess give you the third degree.”

“OK I guess I can see their side of it." Jenny said, in deciding over the matter. "They’re worried you’re getting mixed up with a gangster’s moll, right?” Shrugging her shoulders in a parody of the old gangster movies. She winced a little as she’d forgotten the stiffness in her shoulder. “Looks like I better call my henchmen Huey, Dewey and Louie as back up.” She said doing a pretty bad James Cagney impression.

Bill Branson had leaned back slightly from releasing her hands, tears in his eyes, taking to laugh as he remarked in as much. “Jennifer you’re a nut.”

“My bad?”

“No, no you’re not bad.” Bill exclaimed, changing his tone for a moment, taking a more serious voice. “It’s not so much that we have a nice home but nothing like you have. I guess I’m worried you’ll think less of me." Taking to rub his brow, "No that don’t make any sense I don’t know what I mean.” As his forehead creased momentarily.

Jenny noticed where Bill seemed way out of his comfort zone. Never had she realized he had these insecurities. “Bill look at me.” Jenny said, bringing him to look her in the eyes. In a serious manner she continued. “OK. You’re quite right I’m a trust baby. But I’m not a spoiled brat I guess many think I am. I get an allowance from my Aunt, if I want any extra I have to earn it by doing chores. My Grandpa taught my Dad and my aunt that way. Same as you work for your Uncle to run your bike I have to do chores to pay for petrol for the car.”

“Petrol?”

“You call it gas.”

“Sorry I just thought that they would, you know, umm go easy on you a little. I feel like a jerk in that I seem to have completely got things wrong. I take it then you won’t have any pool parties in the summer?” He teased.

“No, more is the pity I’m guessing in you’d have looked cute wearing a bikini. ” It was unfortunate for Bill that he went to take a drink at the time of her joke catching him off guard by her remark sending him into a fit of laughter and swallowing at the same time . The end result was with the drink streaming out of his nose. “So that’s snorting coke is, is it?” Jenny asked innocently, causing Bill even more distress. “Sorry Bill my bad again?” As Jenny took to handing him her napkin with his distress.

Rising rapidly from his seat with the understandable excuse, Bill did his best to control himself as he headed to the rest room leaving Jenny to feel bad about how she had treated him. But at the same time, she was happier and more comfortable than she had been in a long time.

Off in the distance Mr. Giordano had been watching the young couple, taking in their antics reminding him of his own romances and the playfulness the two were having, but growing wary when it started to get a little loud at the end. Fortunately, he didn’t have to say anything to them. Remembering his own youth, it wasn’t often that a couple as young as these two visited. But he was always pleased to see it from a personal view, as well as a business standpoint, when things seemed so much easier without the worry of everyday life. After a couple of minutes Bill returned just as the waiter was bringing their bruschetta to them.

The meal looked and smelled delicious to Jenny’s delight and was as good as it looked. With Bill telling her there was garlic, she had been wary only to find it wasn’t too strong but was just right. She savored the fettuccine Bill recommended and was right again, she loved it. Before clearing their table, the waiter asked if they would like a dessert. Looking over at Jenny who nodded to say she would Bill took the available menu.

Risking the chance once more, Bill asked. “Jenny may I order for you again?”

“Sure," Jenny said with ease. "So far you have a 100% record.”

A few minutes later the waiter appeared and with ample ease in what he wanted for them, “Due Tiramisu per favore.” He never even opened the menu.

As the waiter walked away Bill asked. “Have you ever tried Tiramisu Jenny?”

“No, but Cassie had some when we came here a few weeks ago.”

“Tiramisu actually means ‘to lift me up, pick me up or cheer me up.’ I think people have their own take on it.”

“I think you only came here to show off.” Jenny teased. “But seriously I’ve had a great time tonight." She admitted.

Soon after the dessert came all Bill heard from that moment on was moans of delight coming from Jenny. Clearly, she had never enjoyed a meal as much as this. "I’ll be sure to thank you properly at Dixon Park,” She thought to herself. Finished Jenny had a very happy and satisfied look. Their only disagreement so far had been after Bill took out his bank card to pay for the bill. Jenny wasn't used to having others pay for her meal and tried to pay at least half only to be scolded gently and in no uncertain terms that this was his treat.

“Meraviglioso pasto, signor Giordano.” Turning to Jenny he translated for her. “I was just thanking Mr. Giordano for a great meal.

“Grazie signor Branson.”

“I think you two are just showing off.”

“Uh huh like you were in speaking Russian with Nick Belekov.”

“That was different.” Jenny argued batting her eyelids.”

“Lei è bella a guardarla.”

“lo farò.” Jenny raised her eyebrow at Bill. “Mr. Giordano said you are beautiful and that I should look after you. I agreed with him and said that I would do.”

“Grazie signor Giordano.” Jenny answered

Jenny was admiring on what had been a wonderful evening once they left the restaurant and made their way to the Branson home. It was a fifteen-minute journey, ‘Well it’s only fair I suppose,' Jenny thought in reflection in meeting Bill's family. 'Aunt Jewels and Cass did likewise.’

“You don’t have to do this Jenny," Bill said, as he made his way home. "I can always call them and say you had to go home early.”

“No Bill, I’d love to meet your family." Jenny said trying to put Bill at ease. "If your family is anything like Abi and you, I’m pretty sure I’ll love them as well.”

“Just don’t expect too much," Bill said, not wanting to set Jenny's expectations too high. "We live in an apartment building. It’s nothing compared in what you have been used to.”

Bill smiled even with his building apprehension knowing this was the best that he was going to get. After his first meeting of Jenny’s family including her Grandparents he started to feel that she was well out of his league and he could never compete. Which was ironic considering that Jenny felt the same way regarding Bill. Jenny really admired his athleticism which he seemed clueless over. He was the school’s star athlete, and she found him unlike many other students who pushed their talents, he seemed humble in his talent. For Bill, he saw the football and basketball jocks as the real stars unlike his own athletic prowess. After reaching their destination Bill walked round to open the door for Jenny learning from his prior error.

The apartment complex was not unlike any other on the block situated in a gated community. The parking lot as with the surrounding community was well lit and protected by a tall wrought iron fencing. The outside of the buildings, as with the others, looked well maintained with manicured hedges, cut lawn, and trimmed trees. As she looked up to one building, Jenny noticed where the window drapes of one moved. Realizing that they were being watched she waited for Bill to ensure the car was locked. Then she held onto his arm and let him walk her to the main door with her arm cradled in the sling. As they entered the building she felt herself shake a little out of nervousness.

“Nervous?” Bill asked.

“Very. I guess it’s the same for guys, right?”

“Yeah, but like I said before, for you it was worth it.”

As they approached the door, it opened as if by magic. Standing at the door was a grinning Abigail Branson.

“Hey Bro, hey Jenny come on in, the torture chamber is set up.” Abigail said, with a flourish flashing her teeth.

“Abigail, is that any way to talk to a guest?” A female voice called out that Jenny assumed was Mrs. Branson.

“Come on in, Jenny isn’t it?” Giving her daughter a reprimanding look.

“Yeah come on in Jenny we don’t bite.” Mr. Branson joked as he came to the door. Looking at Jenny he then turned to his son, smiled. “You picked a winner here son.”

Jenny blushed at the compliment. Abi simply poked her finger down her throat and rolled her eyes. She smiled at Jenny taking the edge out of any insult she may have felt. It was at that point that Jenny started to relax a little. The younger girl was attempting to put her at ease.

“Would you like a drink or something Jenny?” Mrs. Branson asked.

“I’m fine thank you Mrs. Branson we just had a meal at Giordano’s. If I drink anymore I’ll be stopping off for toilet. I mean rest room breaks.”

“OH My! the food is good there isn’t it? My brother and I went to school with Barto I mean Mr. Giordano.

"Please, sit," Mr. Branson said as Jenny entered into the apartment. Various designs were illustrated along the walls. "I work for Heron Graphic. A freelance graphic designer and programmer. From what our son informed us, ours isn't much. Just a basic three-bedroom apartment."

Smoothing out her dress as ladylike as possible in taking to sit next to Bill she crossed her ankles without thinking. "It's a small computing graphics company, but I have hopes, high hopes for this job having moved for the last ten years." It was during their conversation; Jenny listened to Bill's father's ambitions with his working for them for the last eighteen months now. With both Bill and Abi in High School it all came down to one thing really. With their moving to his wife’s hometown did he like this town or not? He had to admit that he was none too sure at first, but now he knew he loved this town.

"Education, any educational program is a hard field to keep up with," Mr. Branson admitted. "We have this educational program we've almost completed. Sorry I can't go into better detail due to rules, but I will say the graphics are of some concern though. For some reason the coding in the program was not working for some reason.

Leaning over Bill took the chance, "He a very good programmer. One of the best," Bill said with a sons pride. "It's some child reading program based on a repeat and learn system. Very similar to what the Muppets on Sesame Street used. If they get the bugs worked out, we'll be leaving here."

"Right you are son." Mr. Branson admitted. "The contract is very lucrative in that we'll be able to afford moving into a house pretty soon. Nothing fancy mind you, but a bit less cramped."

As Jenny listened her looking at Mrs. Branson proved the obvious in she was of Italian descent. Mrs. Branson’s size was not over weight, but she was ‘generous’ in stature. Her Olive colored skin was synonymous of the Mediterranean.

“How do you like it here dear?” Taking the conversation away from what she had heard many times.

“I don’t want to appear rude and I know that you are trying to spare my feelings." Bringing up what she knew they were most interested in. "I’m struggling a little, sometimes I get homesick. I do like it here and I’m happy to call it home. High School is a challenge, because my small private school was nothing like this. Yes, my Mother did shoot me, hence the sling. No, I’m not a gangster I can’t say that for certain members of my Mother’s family. No, I’m not planning on seeing her or her family again.” Pausing a moment Jenny realized that she had just blurted everything out at once. Causing her cheeks to blush bright red “I’m sorry it just all came out at once.”

“You are most definitely a Stephenson, aren’t you?” Mrs. Branson said her face beaming. “You do remind me a lot of your Aunt at your age. I don’t think even Cassie is as much like her as you are.”

“Did you know my Dad too?” Jenny asked a little fearful.

“Not so well I’m afraid, your Father was a little younger than Julie and I. Your Grandparents are wonderful people too Jenny. I have fond memories of all your family. Seeing Julie and Cassie here a few weeks back filled me with some very happy memories.”

"OH, the time we spent together." With Mrs. Branson telling some high school stories and her explaining of knowing Julie back when she had been a cheerleader. Although she had not tried out as a cheerleader she did try to help Julie with some routines. This left Jenny wondering why her Aunt had never mentioned she knew Bill’s mother. She also heard a few stories about her father. One seemed so out of character of the man she knew hearing where he let down the tires and cut the tire stems of Julie’s ex boyfriend’s car. He (the ex-boyfriend) had been harassing Julie and Gina (Mrs. Branson). Due to a bit of misfortune her father got caught by the then deputy principal and was suspended for three days. Then to add insult to injury he had been forced to pay for the needed repairs as well as face being grounded for two weeks. These were stories that Jenny had never heard before, even when she had been Michael. To Julie and Gina, it didn't matter with their showing of gratitude treated Michael out to a movie that he had wanted to watch. For Bill and Abi, both were listening intently as well. Unlike most teens both enjoyed most of the stories they heard. His Mom had told him a few stories of when she was in high school truth be told. It was then that something reminded Jenny of something.

“You were Grandpa’s secretary sometime back, weren’t you?”

“Guilty as charged, Jenny I was. Well a little more than that. I was actually the Office Manager. I have to say that I loved that job it was the first one after College.”

“I remember him saying a little while back he said you virtually ran that office.”

“I’m flattered that he still remembers me. I think I took to it better than Julie, yet now she works as a personal assistant in the diplomatic corp.”

“Not to Grandpa though I think they’d drive each other nuts.” She said laughing. “But come the summer holi … I mean vacation I’m working there. Now you’re back in town Mrs. Branson give him a call, I’m sure he would love to hear from you.”

"I'll consider it. My look at the time." Mrs. Branson stated stopping the conversation or interrogation such as it was. All parties had seemed to get along well with a number of surprises thrown in on the way. To others Jenny’s invitation the idea for Gina Branson to contact her Grandfather would seem strange. But Jenny was aware of how her family worked and the turmoil they were in at the moment. There had been a Gina mentioned many times over when she was younger, and it was always in an affectionate way of hinting to bring them together.

“I knew you would all like her.” Abi squealed in delight. “You make sure you take care of her Bill.”

“Sorry about the subterfuge kids.” Mr. Branson explained slyly. “You know your Mom Bill she had to know. It’s been nice meeting you Jenny I hope we see you again sometime. I’m sure you want a little time to yourselves before curfew.”

Jenny felt relieved; not only due to where it was over, but the extent she had learnt a little more about her Dad and Aunt deciding that she had been right in her earlier assertion. She liked the Branson’s and vowed to come back. After leaving they went onto Dixon Park. Jenny surprised Bill.

"It's a little more roomier in the back," Jenny hinted alluringly once they pulled into Dixon Park.

Are you sure? Bill asked.

"Oh, I’m not that ready." To a reassured Bill as they shifted onto the back seat. She gently reminded him she was not going to ‘put out’ but just wanted to be comfortable. Jenny performed that trick that girls seem to learn in their mid-teens having had removed her bra and eased it down her arm. Immediately her nipples hardened and could be seen through her dress.

Bill’s smile was evident as he moved in closer. His hands gently teased her nipples through the dress while he kissed her. Bill leaned backwards against the door gently pulling Jenny with him. She now had her back to him. Both hands, one on each breast holding as opposed to grabbing at them. His thumb rubbing over her nipples, Jenny gently moaned as he continued. Kissing the back of her neck they stayed like that for a while until she spoke.

“I love this lover’s leap place.”

“Even more so without the leaping.” He answered. “Jenny thanks for tonight. I have to be honest at first I was doubtful we’d have a good time.”

“Yeah I know you wanted to go the Shell Game. I’m sorry but to be honest I’m pleased we didn’t.”

“I know, me too.”

The young couple both laid down a while in the back of the car. It was as they were making out in a still pretty warm and humid night they heard the bells at St. Martha's Church, only a few blocks from the park. The time was now 11.45. With deep reluctance the pair broke from their embrace. They now had fifteen minutes to get home else the pair would face the wrath of not one parent but several. Julie left them alone at the door as the pair kissed and said their goodnights.

Bill made his way to the apartment just around the corner of the main house. Showered he set up his camp bed, trying to watch a little TV before falling asleep. His mind kept drifting back to the last few hours. Quietly, or in how he hoped to be being quiet, his mind and body turned back to Jenny and the feelings she brought up hoping for quick relief.

Jenny ended the night by thinking back to her prior mishap of her last self-exploration crisis and what happened commenced later that morning. Although pleasurable it was how ‘noisy’, okay her thrashing and outburst in her climax, could be. The simple and easiest remedy was to refrain this time hence her cold shower after doing her hair. Taking a brush to her hair prior to bed, previous experience had enlightened her that this prevented a lot of tangles. Looking at lateness by the clock. “Thank goodness no school in the morning.” She said aloud. Taking a pain pill, she eased herself into bed and fell soundly asleep.

****************************************************************

It had been a week now since the Paul Owen ‘incident.’ Steve Richards was in a deep discussion on a case meeting with both Jozef and Jana. As far as the world was concerned Paul Owen was safely in hiding, which in effect he was. For all of those in the surrounding area Candie Stripes appeared as she would. A college student during the day and sex kitten on the web at various times of the week. He, now she, had even spoke with his daughter and ex-wife. Neither Cassie nor Julie were aware of course who she really was when she bumped into them outside the school.

“I still can’t get used to this. How can you be so sure that Jewels and Cassie remain safe?”

“Steve, I understand that this is a strange procedure, concept for you.” Jana explained. “When she was changed, to all those around her she is who she appears as. Except for the three of us, and my need to bring into your plot concerning her, nobody will suspect even once the magic wears off.

“You saw how smart and powerful Grandmother is with her magic." Jozef said still smarting from his failed deception. She outmaneuvered me completely with my ineptness.”

Jana’s eyes widened for a moment. "You tried to outsmart Grandmother?" Jana said in amazement before getting a devilish grin. “It sounds like a couple of girls had an interesting time bonding while dealing with Mr. Owen." Her eyes took on a sinister mischievous look. "Seeing as how Jozef and I were on different shifts that week it would seem that I missed a golden opportunity to be part of it.” She didn’t try to hide the smirk on her face as she realized what had probably happened. “Please note I never said GUY’S bonding day. I’m gonna get some drinks OK?”

“Coke if you don't mind." "Same" They both answered leaving the two the needed alone time for a few moments

“So how did you like the experience of it? The whole day I mean. For me it proved interesting to be a single mother having a daughter.”

“Given that I woke up next to my wife in bed where I would usually have been, and my freaking out. I'd have to say that was a very interesting experience to say the least.” Steve replied clarifying with Jozef's startled face. "I woke to knowing it had been real."

Pausing and trying to think of a way to continue. “UMM, how much did you actually remember concerning it?”

“Quite a lot of it," Steve stated to what looked like a very edgy Jozef. "I remember our talk. I also remember being sent away at one point to get some drinks. But most of all Jozef I remember what you said about some of your feelings and failings. Or what you perceive as failings. Pretty much everything else is kinda hazy.”

“That’s usually the way it works, less confusion that way. Would you do it again?”

“You mean be your daughter again? I don't think so." Steve paused himself in deep thought for a few moments. "Still if that’s what it takes for you to open up to someone, I'd consider spending more time as a personal female friend to some extent. It's been mentioned where you don’t have a regular partner. So yeah if you need a shoulder to cry on I’d be there for you. I consider you to be a good officer Jozef and God knows we all need someone to talk to.”

“Thanks Steve.” Jozef said relaxing.

Moments later Jana was back with the sodas. Realizing they had finished she sat down. Jozef did make a mental note to mention to Grandmother that Jenny could detect who Candie Stripe really was. This was strengthened when he thought that Jenny had an inkling about him and Steve the week before. It was also confirmed when Jenny was behaving differently. She had seen Candie from a safe distance but didn't speak to her. She seemed a little put off by it.

“Talking of Jenny, I feel I should mention that on your guy’s day out.” Neither could miss the retuning smirk on her face to then grow more serious in tone. “She and another boy were past curfew due to an accident. Jenny and her date got caught up in the backup and I happened to spot them before another officer did.”

“Not entirely their fault then?” Steve Richards interjected.

“Not entirety Steve, but even without the delay I doubt if they would have made it on time.”

“Do you think this could be used in court? Perhaps be used as a serious problem of her character Jana?” Jozef asked.

She paused a moment as if to think about it. “No, I don’t think so. I couldn’t smell liquor or anything else on them and they did tell me that they had been out for dinner then went to the Branson home for a while.”

“Our tail did say he had seen them pull into Giordano’s for dinner. We know they went out to Dinner.” Jozef said with conviction . Although saying nothing, Steve did nod his agreement.

“They were seen heading from Dixon Park." Jana said with a knowing look. "My guess is if they were spending time together and probably forgot the time or lost track of it." None said anything in what Jana was hinting at in that Jenny had failed to conceal her removed bra from the back seat from when Jana had looked inside the car for any open containers of alcohol. "They don't know of where I spoke with Mrs. Owen and informed her of the accident and it wasn’t their fault given that she was under eighteen.”

“I think we need to keep an eye on that young lady as well as Paul Owen.” Steve Richards informed them.

"We can't Steve," Jana said, informing him even with their suspicion. "Not without probable cause as with informing the Chief. We would need to request an officer for stakeout and with us limited on officers and funds it would need his approval. Then there's the matter of Owen's current whereabouts and his testimony." Reminding Steve and Jozef of needing to explain 'where' Owen was if looked upon. "If I recall, once the trial has completed, he then goes deeper into the witness protection.”

Jozef nodded his agreement. “Are you okay with Jana accompanying me to hand him over to the US Marshalls?”

“I was going to suggest that as I’m tied up with the Markovic trial. The defense has called me as a hostile witness. Plus, Elena comes up for arraignment too that week. It’s possible she’ll get bail.”

**********************************************************************

While this was going on Jenny was going over the musical numbers. This was the first rehearsal some would be after school time. But a lot would be during school time usually during the lunch break. Ms. Simmonds had got them together for a morning to rehearse and get to know the music. She (Ms. Simmonds) had pushed the school to perform the full version and not the high school version. It was felt that now was a good time to mention the teen age pregnancy problem. It had not been a big issue in the town but it was still there. Erika was fully aware of this when she auditioned. A friend of her sister was one of those statistics. Lucy was just ideal to play Frenchy she had that likeable kind of personality. As Brittany had rightly said Erika, Lucy and Jenny already had a great chemistry between them. This was apparent from the very first rehearsal.

As they sat down for lunch the three girls went over the music. There was also the sleepover scene they wanted to work on. Breaking with tradition Jenny had decided to opt for a BLT sandwich. She knew that with Aunt Jewels responsible for dinner tonight it would no doubt be a salad. As much as she enjoyed salad Jenny had decided that two salads in one day was not something she wanted.

“We could do that one for real.” Lucy giggled.

“I’m not sure I want some of that to become public knowledge.” Erika said.

“Well unlike you two I really am sweet and innocent like Sandy.” Jenny joked. “But then that’s why we’re all so perfectly cast.”

Erika and Lucy looked at each other then threw pieces of lettuce across the table at her. All three ended up laughing; this is how many of their teasing sessions went. A few moments later they were joined by two of their boyfriends.

“Looks like another lettuce fight.” Phil said.

“Some people just never grow up.” Mark teased.

“Where’s Bill?” Jenny asked looking for her boyfriend.

“Practice, I think that his coach called a practice from this week.” Mark told Jenny.

“Go over and see how he’s doing Jenny.” Erika suggested.

“Yeah I think I will, I’ll see you guys later.”

Jenny excused herself and made her way to the track. As she sat on the bleachers watching Bill as he was training. She felt someone sit behind her without looking she instinctively knew who it was. A moment later she felt something sliding down the back of her shirt. Quickly turning around she pushed the yogurt that Shelly was eating in her face. The girl was so surprized that she didn’t have time to dodge the slap across the face that followed it. It was indeed lucky for Jenny that no one else noticed or heard it either. Needless to say, that the two of them were separated pretty quickly.

A few minutes later they were both inside the office of the Deputy Principal. Shelly had made herself the victim from the start. Jenny made no attempt to argue with her but just stood and glared at her. For his part Mr. Snitter did not try to persuade her to tell her side he just watched and listened. Putting them both on detention for the week was his solution. True he could have had Jenny suspended but he felt that there was more to it. But with Jenny keeping quiet there was little he could do about it. After Shelly had gone he kept Jenny back to speak with her.

“Ms. Stephenson I’m disappointed in you for a number of reasons. First I thought better of you, in fact I still do. There is more to this than meets the eye, your silence tells me that. I need to know Jennifer you’re not going to do her any serious harm are you?”

“I think you know that sir. No I won’t do her any harm at all, you have my word.”

“Thank you for that. By the way I believe her when she said you slapped her I know no one saw it. I would have thought that your, what shall we call it training? Would have helped you hold your temper more. I understand you hold a black belt.”

“Yes I do, and you’re right I should have.”

“I’ve also seen the back of your shirt I know you were provoked but...” He left that hanging

Like all high schools, news travels fast. But bad news travels even faster. Mr. Snitter had phoned Jenny’s Aunt and informed her of what had happened. Jenny received news of this a couple of minutes later with a text saying. “When you get home young lady we need to have a very serious talk.” The afternoon classes were quiet with Jenny not saying anything to anyone.

She wanted to talk but had no one to talk to Erika and Lucy had different classes. After School she arrived in the class designated for detention. On entry Mr. Snitter ensured that both Jenny and Shelly sat on opposite sides of the room. Noting that there was not any designated work to do Jenny took out some of her homework. About ten minutes into the detention a very upset Ms Simmonds entered the room. Looking around she noticed Jenny sat with her head down working. Walking over to Mr. Snitter she spoke very quietly to him the conversation became very animated. After a few moments they seemed to have come to a conclusion. It was clear that he was not happy with the final result of the discussion. Ms Simmonds left the class as Jenny was called to the front. As she approached him she could see that he was more than just a little unhappy, he was furious.

“Ms Stephenson I’ve just been informed, you are playing the female lead, in the School production of ‘Grease.’”

“Yes Sir I am.”

“Then you need to attend the rehearsal. You are in my History class I recall Ms Stephenson.”

“Yes Mr. Snitter I am.”

“As an alternative, to your work detention Ms Stephenson. I’d like you to prepare a fifteen minute class report on the 1776 Declaration of Independence.”

“Fifteen minutes don’t you mean ten Mr. Snitter? That’s the usual time for a report.”

“Twenty minutes for trying to correct me. Anything else Ms. Stephenson?” Mr. Snitter was clearly angry for at least two reasons now. That was very clear from his tone of voice which caused several people to look up.

“No, nothing else, thank you for allowing me to go to rehearsal.” Jenny took a quick look over at Shelly during the ‘conflict’ with the deputy Principal. It disturbed her somewhat at how her new nemesis was now smirking at her. Despite being annoyed at Shelly she had to be honest and say she was angrier at herself. For allowing this to happen she should not have slapped Shelly no matter how justified she felt at the time.

Jenny realized as she went to rehearsal, she would end up doing more work than just her week of detention. This was not an easy way out for her. Ms. Simmonds did not speak with her as they made their way to the rehearsal room. For the first time Jenny was made aware that she really had gone too far this time. This was basically a read through and where Jenny met her leading man. She had heard of David Martin before but had never actually met or come across him before now. David or Dave as he preferred to be called was what you would call an ordinary guy. He was not a jock or any other kind of Athlete but he did have quite a stage presence about him. One thing Jenny noticed that despite all this he was not pretentious in any way at all. As they went through the read through she found out that he really was very amenable and open. He was able to give advice on line delivery etc. as well as accept advice. At the end of the initial reading Ms. Simmonds was very happy with how it had all gone. As they finished everyone dispersed in their own little groups. As they left school property the three of them felt that they could speak more freely now.

“I didn’t think you would get out of detention.”

“Ms. Simmonds got me out Luce but at a cost. Although to be honest I made it worse by disputing something and something else that I never mentioned before.”

“What happened Jenny? Come on you have to tell all now.” Erika told her.

“Well a few things actually but I’ll have to show you one.” Jenny took out her cell and showed them the message from her Aunt.

“OH shit! That’s not good. How do you get yourself in these situations?” Erika asked.

“What can I say? It’s a gift.” Jenny tried to joke.

“So, what was the other thing Jenny? You said that there were two.” Lucy said

“Mr. Snitter gave me a work assignment as I am unable to attend detention this week.”

“This don’t sound good, he lost face. So I’m guessing some kind of punishment.”

“At first Erika it was a fifteen minute class report on the 1776 Declaration of Independence.”

“They’re usually ten minutes...” Lucy interrupted

“That’s what I said.”

“Please don’t tell me you tried to correct him.” Jenny didn’t need to answer Erika’s question her face said it all. “Anything else we need to know?”

“I did slap Shelly. I know that I shouldn’t have done. Truth is I’m just a total mess right now and I know what you’re thinking it’s no excuse. The truth is I’m, I’m just so scared.” At this point Jenny broke down sobbing. At that moment two pairs of arms pulled her into a hug. A few moments later Jenny’s cell phone let her know that she had received a text. “I know about the work assignment. You need to get your butt back home, I’m very disappointed in you young lady.”

“From your Aunt?” Lucy asked.

“Yeah it never rains but it pours as they say.”

“Jenny don’t get annoyed at me but I really think you need to see a therapist. I don’t think that the grief counseling is doing much.” Erika told her.

“You’re probably right Erika.”

On that note the three girls went their separate ways. Lucy promised, to phone her later that night. That way Jenny would only need to tell it once. But of course things never work out that way do they? Lucy did call as promised and did pass it on to Erika. But Jenny got a message on her cell that she was to see Grandmother and Anya that weekend. Generally speaking they would have told her by telepathy in order to help her develop. Jenny had the feeling that this was going to get very difficult for her. On her arrival home Aunt Jewels was sitting on the settee waiting for her. The unnerving part of this was the look in her eyes. She wasn’t showing so much anger more of a disappointment. But then again as Jenny thought she had every right to feel this way.

“Before we start Aunt Jewels may I have a shower first?” Jenny pleaded.

“I don’t see why not Jennifer. It may even give you time to think of an excuse.” Aunt Jewels said in a voice that could seemingly cut through glass. It also struck her that Aunt Jewels referred to her as Jennifer. Using her full given name was certainly not a promising start.

“I don’t have an excuse Aunt Jewels.” Jenny contritely answered.

“You’d best have your shower Jennifer we can talk after dinner.” Her aunt bluntly replied dismissing Jenny.

She knew that she was in serious trouble, but this wasn't what she expected. After leaving her Aunt, Jenny made her way to her bedroom, undressing for her shower. After all that had happened during the day Jenny felt both physically and mentally drained. Roughly twenty-five minutes later Jenny came back down dressed casually but feeling more refreshed. Dinner was pretty much waiting as she walked into the dining room. She had noticed that both Cassie and Aunt Jewels sat at the table waiting. The atmosphere was distinctly cold and not just due to the temperature. Jenny was convinced that a mid-winter storm in Siberia was probably warmer than the current atmosphere in the room.

“Sorry to have kept you waiting.”

“Is that all you are sorry about Jenny?”

“No Aunt Jewels it’s not." Jenny replied. "I let you down today.” It had not gone unnoticed to where Jenny had once again been addressed as Jenny and not Jennifer. But she was not fooled into thinking that all was forgiven.

“Let’s have dinner first then we’ll discuss it.”

Jenny noticed to where it was only Aunt Jewels who spoken to her now. Yet it was obvious where Cassie knew what was happening, but had said nothing at all up to now. Dinner was a quiet affair. Aunt Jewels had cooked the dinner which was already on the table. It was as she deduced at lunch. Dinner consisted of baked chicken with salad, which Jenny did manage to enjoy. Her favorite salad dressing was simplistic. A basic French dressing of olive oil and vinegar with a little touch of seasoning. After eating, the three women, without saying a word, cleared the table making their way to what could be called the main living area to sit and talk.

After trying to explain the why and wherefores of what happened. Jenny found she was right in her assessment in that she really had no excuse at all.

"Your friends may be right." Cassie agreed after hearing what Erika suggested. "Perhaps it would be best if you do talk to a professional therapist." Cassie said thoughtfully "One who specializes with some kind of anger management for you as well."

“Aunt Jewels I know I’m asking an awful lot of you right now.” Jenny looked over to her Aunt who nodded her agreement and for her to continue. “I’ve behaved badly and I’m very aware of that. I have been justly punished at school. I’m hoping that my privileges at home will not be too severely restricted.”

“Mom, may I offer a suggestion?” Cassie asked, speaking for the first time concerning the matter.

“Okay, go ahead Cassie we’ll try to make this a family agreement as much as possible.”

“As Jenny said, she’s being punished at school and to be fair the work involved is more than she would have done in detention.”

“Very true Cass but she did make it worse than it was.”

“I know that Mom. I’m sure her friends will help her somewhat as well. The only thing that I would suggest is that Jenny's gas allowance be cut.” Cass looked towards her Cuz noticing the confusion on everyone’s face. “Think about it, she will be restricted to only taking her car to school and back. If and when she goes want to go out she needs to ask for a lift. It’s virtually grounding her but not quite.”

“That’s not a bad idea actually Cass.” Turning to Jenny and taking on a more serious voice she said. “Jennifer, as you said you have let us all down. I understand that things have been hard for you, but they’ve been hard for all of us. Surprisingly, I do agree that you have been punished, almost, and I mean almost enough at school. You will be allowed to use your car to and from school, however. If you date or go out with friends, you will not use the car. You’ll have to use public transport. Or your friends will have to drive. Am I clear?”

“Yes, Aunt Jewels, very clear. Let me also say I don’t like being discussed as if I wasn’t here.” Jenny answered in a clipped tone.

“Jennifer, you did something wrong you knew you would be punished. I do not like your tone young lady.”

“Yes, I did Aunt Jewels, but I’m not the one starting a cold war over it.” With that Jenny stomped off to her room.

“I’m guessing that at some point Jenny studied twentieth century history. I’m assuming so because of her cold war allusion.”

“Yeah probably Mom.” Cassie answered with a huge grin on her face. “But I can’t help thinking of a conversation I had with Grandma a while back.”

With a matching grin Julie responded. “Oh yes, I'm sure Mom told when I was Jenny’s age I was a royal pain in the butt too.”

“You know she’s going to phone her friends Mom.”

“I’m sure she will. Cass, she still has to organize her social calendar.”

“Only at weekends Mom, she’s going to be too busy with school. Now she has that show and her cheerleading.”

True to what her Aunt and Cousin predicted, Jenny was on her cell grousing to Lucy well before she even made it to her room, and how she was going to be limited for a while. Together, Lucy and Erika had promised to help her get some research literature for her history project. Her call to Bill went OK too, he was more than happy to drive her when they went out on Saturday night. Relieved, Jenny thought of how good things were going and may not be so bad after all.’ Her week went mostly okay, but she did have a bad moment on Friday evening when she Skyped with Katie and Melanie.

“Hey Melanie, how are you doing?”

“Hi Jenny,” she looked sad for a moment then continued. “I’ve been a naughty girl at school.”

“Oh? Melanie what have you done?” Jenny asked sounding disappointed. Yet at the same time completely forgetting her own circumstances.

“What did you do Melanie?” Jenny coaxed when the little girl hedged.

“Tina, who used to be my best friend, did something bad to me Jenny.”

“What did she do Melanie?” Jenny asked her voice full of empathy for her young friend.

“She threw my favorite dolly in a dirty ditch.” Melanie then gave a mischievous grin before continuing with. “So, I pushed her in to go and get it. Problem is Jenny. She told her Mummy and her Mummy told my Mummy.”

“I see, and you got in trouble for it right?”

“Yeah, it’s not fair, she started it.” Melanie pouted.

Jenny was struggling not to laugh. It was a typical spat a child of her age might have. Jenny still ignored her own situation and probably would have continued to do so. It was at that point that Katie came into the conversation.

“Hi Jenny, I suppose that Melanie told you what happened.” Before Jenny could answer, Katie continued. “I received an email from Julie this week.”

“Oh really?" Suddenly worried. "Is it what I think it may be about?” Her voice now full of dread after hearing about Melanie’s last little adventure.

“Yes, Jennifer I think you know what it’s about. By the way Melanie had to leave to visit the bathroom so we can talk for a few moments.” Katie was obviously in teacher mode now as she spoke.

“I always know when I’m in deep trouble; I get called Jennifer and never Jenny.” Jenny said trying, but failing to lighten the situation.

“I’m so disappointed in you Jennifer especially after the way you brightened things up for Melanie and I.”

“Can I say I’m disappointed in myself? I should never have done it. I’ve never hit anyone before. Right now, I’ve not quite been grounded but almost. Aunt Jewels has allowed me to use the car to school and back but not for social aspects.”

“I would have grounded you for at least two weeks. As a teacher I would probably have excluded you as well.”

“No one actually saw or heard me hit her Katie. I never denied or confirmed but, the deputy principal just knew that I had. He asked me off the record if it happened and I admitted to it.”

“And that was it?” Katie sounded appalled.

“No, we both got a week of detention, work detentions. I was going to do my homework. But Ms. Simmonds, she’s directing Grease, convinced him I was needed for rehearsals. He gave me a different assignment I have to give a twenty-minute class report on the 1776 Declaration of Independence.”

“Ouch as an English student that’s going to be an interesting, yet tough assignment.”

“Yeah it’s going to be more work than the original detentions for the week. I will get some help from my friends at school with the research. But the actual presentation itself is all down to me.”

“I hope that you learned something from it Jennifer.” Katie responded still in teacher mode.

“I have Katie, from all aspects of it. Aunt Jewels has eased up a little this week but not much. We haven’t seen much of each other this week due to rehearsals and cheerleading. It’s been a tough week; I have the report to do next week too.”

It was at this point that Melanie came back from the bathroom. Nothing else was said about the incident. But once again Jenny was made aware of how friends and family were disappointed in her. The remainder of their time was talk about what had gone on during the week. How well and badly both girls were doing in school. Katie was now working part time as a teacher at Melanie’s school. The beauty of this was that it was only three days a week and she was nearly always available for Melanie. But she realized that she still had to visit Bikini Beach for her ‘lessons’ from Grandmother and Anya.

The following day it was a bright and hot sunny morning. As Jenny got to the ticket booth Anya was waiting for her. The look on her face informed Jenny it was going to be a rough ride. ‘Grandmother is in the office waiting for us.’ Jenny heard Anya say inside her head. Without a response both girls made their way to the grey building that housed the office. Leaving Selena alone at the ticket booth, ‘good luck girlfriend you’re going to need it.’ She heard Selena say in her head.

“Good Morning Jennifer.” Grandmother said coolly. Grandmother was not so much angry at Jenny, but was concerned, she was aware of what Jenny could be capable of as her empathic power grew stronger.

“Good Morning Ma’am I’m guessing things will be like this for a while,”

“How did you expect it to go?” Anya asked.

“Like this I suppose. But I want you to know that I truly am sorry for what I did. I’ve never felt so bad about anything in my life.”

“Are you sorry because of what you did or because of the way people think of you?” Grandmother questioned.”

“Both, I slapped Shelly because I was angry at what she did. Some may say I was justified, I don’t feel justified. No one saw or heard it surprisingly, I could have denied it.” She looked at both mages. “I had no intention of doing that. Mr. Snitter our deputy Principal knew I’d slapped her, despite the fact that I’d neither admitted nor denied it.” Pausing a moment to wipe a tear from her eye. Anya passed her a box of tissues. “He told me after Shelly had left the room he believed her when she said I’d slapped her. I felt so low at that point he asked me off the record if I had slapped her I told him yes I had.”

“It’s been slowly getting worse hasn’t it?” Grandmother stated as a fact. Jenny simply nodded to her tears still forming in her eyes. “Right now, you’ve been reacting from the negative feelings people have towards you.” Jenny looked mystified at this.

“Do you remember when we first spoke of this Jenny? You remarked about being like a vampire. I chose to ignore it, because up to a point there is some truth in it.” Anya informed her. “Obviously you don’t drink their blood. But the effectiveness of your power comes from their feelings. What you are feeling now is the result of their disappointments plus your own guilt.”

“I knew that people would be upset, angry and disappointed in me. I also knew that I’d feel some guilt but never this.”

“Jenny how was your feelings with Erika and Lucy before and after the event?” Grandmother asked softly, ensuring she called her Jenny and not Jennifer.

“Thinking about it, they didn’t change much.”

“Good, this means that I was right to involve them. They say that friends are the family that we would choose if we have a choice.” Grandmother advised, gently moved Jenny’s head so they could see eye to eye. “This is one of the reasons they needed to know the whole story Jenny. Meaning the transformation from Michael to Jennifer. Erika and Lucy can give you the strength and support you need. One other important matter you need to do Jenny is to forgive yourself. You made a mistake. Learn from it child as I’ve told Anya, Selena, and Melody the same thing. If we don’t make mistakes we can never learn. Just don't make one that you will regret.”

“Think about what Grandmother said Jenny. Also think of this, do you learn more from your successes or from your mistakes?” Anya advised the novice empath.

“I don’t think I want to know what this dark side you talk of would feel like. Well I think I may have an idea, but I’d not want to feel it.”

“Jenny just open up your mind a little. There are only a few people here now, it will probably help you feel better.” Anya said.

Cautiously Jenny did as Anya suggested and felt the pleasant feelings of women enjoying themselves. She realized that this was how many women felt when they knew they were safe. Yes, many of them had husbands and some had boyfriends they were safe with. But this was - different. Women had different needs compared to men. Perhaps this was why they bonded better. She sensed where Erika went on her favorite ride, The Pipeline. On a whim she caused Erika to forget to hold onto her top at the right moment, causing a wardrobe malfunction to occur, but only Lucy managed to see it.

“Sorry I couldn’t resist that.” Jenny said forming a grin at both Anya and Grandmother.

“In this circumstance Jenny I’m going to let that one go. However, that was to be your first and last.” Although she meant it Grandmother was still grinning.

“I promise Grandmother there will be no escalation. Only the three of us will know why it happened.”

“Now you know how the negative side could affect you.”

“A lot more than I realized it would to be honest Anya.”

“With the knowledge you now have Jenny. I want you to think about how the darkness would affect you. Think how your own Mother was affected by it.” As Grandmother said this a deep sadness crept into both Grandmother’s eyes and in her voice.

Jenny took a glance at Anya and noticed the same sad look conveyed itself in her eyes. Realization came to her in that this lesson held a deep family secret causing Jenny to bite her tongue. She didn’t have to read any of their thoughts to know something serious happened to their own family. Had her abilities been strong enough perhaps she could have found out. She didn’t know it at the time, but that ability would strengthen to her in time. It would also lead the cause to a lot of sadness within her own family.

**********************************************************************

Paul Owen felt a little disorientated the morning he found himself waking up inside his cell. No memory told him of when he arrived, to only find himself sleeping inside the confines of the room. Spending a few minutes wondering what happened he found he had been returned to his former self. Thinking it over a part of him couldn't believe it. He had to have been drugged to have elicited that sort of dream of spending a month being some kind of young female porn star. ‘Who am I kidding? That was no fucking dream. It was a goddamn nightmare.’ To his surprise he found that physically, nothing had changed as he took to examine his body. Another surprise of course was to see a familiar officer standing just outside the bars of his cell with what couldn't be mistaken to be a smirk.

“Welcome back Mr. Owen I hope you enjoyed your little vacation.” Officer Jana stated as he grew embarrassed that he had been spied on groping himself.

“You knew?” To his profound confusion.

“To a small degree I knew Mr. Owen. You should know by now that your actions have destroyed any possible relationship with your daughter. On the other hand, I hope it brings you some solace to know that she is happy.”

“Not at all Officer don’t get me wrong I’m pleased she will be happy.”

“Do I detect a 'but' in there somewhere?”

“Yes, it’s Jenny, something’s different about that girl. It was almost as though she knew who I was. I tried to speak with her but got virtually nothing back from her.”

During his time as Candie, she had tried to acquaint herself with his estranged daughter. He had tried to get her to open up, talk to her while he was Candie. But all she had said was that her father had left her and her mother a long time ago. Deep down Paul realized that this was true. No matter how much he tried to sugar coat it. What had saddened him more was Cassie's complete acceptance. Julie was right. There would be no forgiveness for him from either of them as Candie also remembered the attempted kidnapping of Jenny and the injuring of Maria which caused her a bit of anguish. But the real unnerving part was when Jenny just glared at her once they met in the parking lot. It was as if she knew who he really was. She was never threatening but her gaze was intimidating if not icy. The only other woman that made him feel so vulnerable was Elena Nazerov- Stephenson. Jenny’s own Mother, damn that woman seemed demonic at times. To forget he as Candie found herself immersing herself into her performances to her online viewers delight and her shame as a few of her morning classes suffered.

At the courthouse Steve Richards was waiting for them outside the courtroom. Tightly he held close to his case notebook with him plus his diary. Important details were written inside. They all went as far back to where Steve was escorting Jenny from the airplane several months back. Casting his mind back he realized now that he must have seen Markovic on the plane. But due to the onboard passengers' bewilderment to being boarded so suddenly had no idea where he would have sat in relation to Jenny. Luckily, thanks to his wife informing the pilot they would be escorting her off the whole operation had gone smoothly.

*********************************************************************

Meanwhile somewhere in the United Kingdom a man who had been secretly hidden boarded an airplane heading for the Southern United States coast. Under heavy guard in his hiding there was no doubt this man was a major player in breaking open the Nazarov family case. At this present time, his testimony would make no immediate difference to the Markovic case. But he would be the one to blow Elena out of the water. His sudden appearance and testimony was also expected to be a major blow to her and have a knock-on effect with Markovic too. This time the entire Nazarov family were sure to be going away for a very long time. As their witness he sat unimpressionable by himself in the first-class area and started to read up on the case notes that he had brought together. Smiling to himself, he relaxed briefly to think how it had been six months of pure hell, but they had done it. The main concern he held now was for his family. The case had turned out to be so big that it had involved the National Crime Agency (NCA) a branch of the British Police Force. Along with the involvement of the FBI who also worked alongside Interpol in wanting to bring the Nazerovs down.

By the time his flight had landed. He had gone over the most damaging of his case papers several times. Looking over at what had been wired from the US he was pleased that Elena had been denied bail as with confiscating her passport. They had also ensured that her Father, as with other prominent members of the family, were securely locked up. On landing he had contacted the local FBI office to inform them of his arrival. After ending the call, he hit the speed dial to the supervising agent on the case.

Steve Richards was enjoying a little family time. He and his wife Michelle were enjoying some hectic peace in the park with their daughter Sophia. It was as he was pushing her on the swings he felt his cell vibrate. Closing his eyes in frustration he knew he had to take the call. Giving his wife an apologetic look the two traded places, moved away for limited privacy after taking out his cell phone.

“Richards here, go ahead.”

“Hi Steve, sorry for the unannounced call. And I hate to be a bother to you, but I’ve just arrived.”

Recognizing the voice, he asked mildly surprised. “Where are you?”

“About two hundred yards to your right, over by the benches. I’m watching you and Chelle." When turned he gave Steve a slow wave. "Steve, I really need a place to stay for a week or so.”

“Sure, if you don’t mind living like a troll. I have a basement you can lurk in if you want. I also have to let Chelle know.”

“Thanks Buddy I owe you one.”

“Yeah, and don’t forget it. I’ll leave door open and wait for you. Hey, it’s good to have you back man.”

As he put the phone away Michelle Ramirez spoke with her husband. The couple sat down to talk but watched as their daughter played with her friends. The park was a favorite place for all the local families. As he sat there Steve tried to spot for evidence of the man who had just called him. But was obviously unable to locate him again, his disguise blending him in easily with the surrounding crowd.

“What’s going on Steve? Who are we letting our basement out to?”

“He’s back Chelle, he needs a place to stay for a week or two.” Staying vague on the who.

“That’s going to complicate things. I take it nobody else knows yet.” Sounding a little more than just a little exasperated. Chelle was well aware that this was going to get messy

“Yeah it is and no, no one knows yet. He has no one else to turn to Chelle. You know he loves your burritos.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere.” The smile on her face reassured Steve that she was amendable to the sudden visitor. “It’s going to be tough keeping it from Sophia. You know that, right?”

“I know.”

Both of them knew that the discussion was over. The decision had been made and both were in agreement. About twenty minutes later Steve carried a tired Sophia back home.

With the coming weekend, the case for Elena had quickly gone further downhill fast for the Defense. With the summoning of a witness who had mysteriously arrived although not in court yet, he had produced a lot more evidence to the Defenses silence. Word had reached Elena’s defense team her father and indeed most of her family was now languishing behind bars across Europe. These complications encouraged the defense team to further demand and pursue a subpoena against her daughter Jenny. The fact of the matter was more like a desperate effort to gain a little ground for Elena. Unlike previous attempts their submission for a subpoena was successful, and as hard as he tried Michael Stephenson Sr. was unable to fight it. Any effort on his part to block or attempt to take her out of the Country would be seen as a threat against their case, an unreliable witness, and could be held in contempt by the court. Tied he managed to have two concessions go though. The court agreed Jenny would only answer by video link. Michael Sr. took great delight in that victory and how it annoyed Elena’s defense attorney. A small victory, but a victory all the same, over the next few evenings he coached Jenny on what to say. “I’m going to be sat in the same room with you Pumpkin.” He reassured her.

That weekend Jenny had invited her two best friends over for a sleepover. For her it came as a great relief with their acceptance. It had been a pretty horrendous week for her and had only gotten worse with the arrival of her being subpoenaed. The embarrassment of being called out of class to have it hand delivered to her in the school's administrative office only increased her shame sending her stress level through the roof. The following week she knew would be worse. Tuesday was to be her court appearance. Well she would not be in court, but she would be at the local FBI office . This was the second concession; Michael Stephenson Sr had managed to call in a few favors. Over the years he had tied in some close links with the local FBI office. “Don’t worry Pumpkin we’ll beat them.” He had told Jenny.

Then of course next Saturday was to be the night of the show. After what seemed like five or six months instead weeks. The next week would be a week of dress rehearsals. And prop and costumes had to be reviewed and finished that week.

But right now, that was next week, and like any teenager she wanted to spend time with her friends and unwind and prepare for the upcoming disaster. Both Erika and Lucy had arrived at roughly 7PM and they were now all settled in the apartment. Everything was now back to normal although Jenny had learned that taking things for granted was not always a good thing. Jenny recalled the discussion she had with her Aunt when to her great relief, her privileges were reinstated. During that time, she found out how much she had to rely more on her friends. As well as on Bill Branson, in order to keep her social events going. She actually astonished Aunt Jewels by thanking her for it. After what had now become the usual routine of their sleepover. Erika decided that now was the time to up the ante a little.

“You know Jenny what with the upcoming court case. You do have our support.” Then taking a deep breath, she asked. “This transformation from Michael I have a few questions.”

“OK Although I can’t say I’m looking forward to this. But I guess I’m going to be doing a lot of that over the next week.”

“I’m sorry I know the timing sucks but, we need to know a few things.”

“That’s an understatement. All I can say is that I’ll give it my best shot.” Jenny felt saddened as she felt the questioning could damage their friendship. However, on the other hand she had remembered what Grandmother had said.

“No matter what happens Jenny we’ll always be the three amigos.” Lucy tried to reassure her.

“Yeah that’s a promise Jenny we’ll always have your back.” Erika said. “But how bad was the original gunshot Jenny? I mean we were told a little but not much.”

“It was bad Erika. I took, well …, Michael took a point-blank shot to the stomach . The bullet passed through him and there was no way he could survive it. Anya teleported herself and Marta to our home, she left Marta with Aunt Jewels and Cass and took Michael to Bikini Beach. You both saw what happened there. I almost died at one point.”

“This one is going to be a tough one Jenny." Lucy asked, her voice osculating into nervous tones. "When you changed back to Michael how much did you remember? I mean we did dress together and everything.”

“It’s pretty blurred, as Michael I didn’t remember the sleepover. The cheerleading simply never happened. I knew that I’d been changed into a girl but, the embarrassing parts are very blurred, fuzzy. I knew that it had to have happened, but I had no real recollection of it at all.” Jenny heard both Erika and Lucy sigh with relief.

“I know this will sound dumb Jenny. But what is the main difference between you and Michael? I mean we knew you as Michael, but we never spoke. And I’m gonna hate myself for asking this. But do you regret it as well?” Lucy asked.

“To be honest Luce, Michael was a different person to me. Michael found it difficult to make friends. His personality was different to mine, he had a very insular personality. He didn’t care much about sports, sure he played football or soccer as you guys call it.”

“I remember speaking to him, to you one time and it was difficult, he was so shy.”

“You’re right Erika he was very shy. I don’t think even I knew Michael that well.” Jenny gave a very sad dry laugh. “He may have led a similar life to mine, but because of our different genders, he was a different person as a result. Do I regret it? I do, and I don’t. I regret the fact that no one will remember him. Michael is effectively dead, nobody will ever know him now or what he did. He made the ultimate sacrifice and there is no headstone or grave to mark his existence. On the other hand, I still have Aunt Jewels and Cassie. I have very mixed feelings about it.”

“OK I’m confused now. Going back a bit how did Anya know you were hurt?”

“This is going to get difficult now to explain. You remember watching that it took three of them to reweave reality?” Jenny waited as her two friends nodded in agreement. “I have a certain gift. No, it’s not magic. But I’m what’s called an empath, kinda like the Deanna Troi character in Star Trek. But I am able to ... alter moods or temperaments. In other words, I’m deeply affected by how people think. I hate it, it sucks.”

“Is that it?” Lucy asked.

“Yes, no, oh hell I don’t know. I’m only learning about it I am able to use telepathy.” Jenny said in frustration.

“Can you read people’s minds?”

“Yes Erika, but before you ask no I have never used it on anyone I know. Well only with Grandmother, Anya, and Selena. That was with their knowledge.”

“You said you can change the way people think or feel. Does this mean that you can change people’s future, and can you see into the future?”

“Now you’re starting to get into some heavy stuff here Luce. I said I sense people’s moods and temperaments, but I can see where you are coming from. Yes, I can do that I guess to a point on how they make decisions. I can’t see into their future, but I can see certain paths that might occur from decisions a person makes. However, I can’t force them to take a certain path. All I’m able to do is put a thought into their heads. Then they will make the choice. It seems that my abilities feed from the energy whether it's positive or negative.”

“Sounds like you’re some kind of vampire or something if you feed from people’s energy or whatever.” Erika looked and sounded a little disgusted at the thought.

After laughing a little at the remark and the look Erika had. Jenny said. “The funny thing is Erika I said exactly the same thing and probably had the same look on my face. Sadly, it’s true, I guess I am. Do you remember how down I’ve been since my encounter with Shelly? It was my guilt plus the fact of how my friends and family quite rightly reacted. My negative feelings and everyone else’s gave me the kick in the butt I needed. It woke me up to a number of things. If I’m totally honest Grandmother and Anya helped me to wake up to those things.”

Jenny was now beginning to feel tired and drained with the whole session of questions. It seemed to have taken its toll on all of them. Looking at the clock they noticed that it was now almost 4AM. Fortunately they were all in their nightwear. Rather than actually crawl to bed all three fell asleep pretty much huddled together. It was Maria who found them still asleep late that morning. As opposed to waking them up she instead took a picture on her cell and sent it to Cassie. Breakfast was a noisy affair between the three women in the main house as the three occupants took to look over the picture Maria had taken an hour before. All three noticed how relaxed Jenny seemed in the picture.

“So, what do you think Mom?”

“I think we’ve got the old Jenny back. Whatever the problem was must have been resolved.”

“I hope so Mrs. Owen, I’ve missed Jenny, the old Jenny I mean. She was always so happy and cheerful. Do you think this court case will affect her a lot?”

“That’s the million dollar question Maria." Cass said. "Both Mom and I are wondering the same thing."

At that moment the room suddenly got a lot louder as three hungry teenagers entered.

“Good morning girls and what do we owe the pleasure.” Aunt Jewels asked.

“Well first Aunt Jewels I need to apologize over the last few weeks," Jenny said as her voice quivered with emotion. "I’ve been a total bitch. You didn’t deserve it; you were fair in your punishment to me. In fact, more than fair once I accused you of starting a cold war. You didn’t Aunt Jewels I did, the last couple of weeks, a lot of things have occurred to me. The main thing is that you were, are, the Mother I never had.” Jenny blubbered unable to control the tears that were forming in her confession.

“Oh, sweetheart I’ve always loved you unconditionally. With that comes automatic forgiveness.” Julie took to hugging her niece as both sets of tears mixed in that embrace. “What is the other thing you wanted to ask?”

“What with one thing and another we forgot to buy food.” Jenny explained.

While this was going on Cassie handed her phone to both Erika and Lucy. A few seconds later the sounds of groans and moans of ‘OH NO!’ filled the room. Jenny turned around to see a very big grin across both Cassie’s and Maria’s faces.

“Help yourself to breakfast girls we have plenty.” Aunt Jewels suggested.

“Thanks Aunt Jewels, Cass you are going to delete that picture, right?”

“I’ll think about it Jenny.” Cassie teased, then an evil thought hit Cassie. It may actually be more fun to tease her a little longer she thought. “So, what do you girls have planned today?”

“Not too sure to be honest Cass, probably go to Lynwood Mall. Do some window shopping, take a look in Jean Queen for end of season sales.”

It was then Cassie had a gleam form in her eye, one which alarmed Jenny a little. “Well if I were you Cuz, I’d buy plenty of chocolate candy bars and ummm some supplies too.” The look on Cassie’s face made it obvious to everyone what she meant.

“Thanks Cass like I really needed reminding.”

“I’d best remind Dad too.” Julie said. “You know how he hates coming around with four of us climbing the walls.”

“Four of you all synchronized periods?” Erika asked.

“The fourth is Maria, believe me girls it’s not pretty.” Cassie informed her with an evil grin.

The weekend passed well, but Monday proved to be the beginning of the week from hell. First of all, true to Cass's warning they all started that day. But what made matters worse was, for Jenny, the following day. She had been forced to take all day off school due to her court appearance. Which was thankfully short, her Grandfather was there as her attorney. Randall Williams, Elena’s defense attorney tried to object.

“Councilor there is nothing in the law that states Ms. Stephenson’s Grandfather cannot represent her. I admit it’s unusual but there is nothing immoral or illegal about it.” Judge John Franks said. “Now please may we continue?”

“Ms. Stephenson, may I refer to you as Jennifer?” Attorney Williams asked, addressing Jenny over the video link.

“Jenny would be fine.”

“Jennifer, what is your relationship to the defendant?” Williams used the formal term for two reasons. The first was to let her know that this was a formal situation and the second was to let her know that he was in ‘charge.’

“She gave birth to me.”

“So Elena, Mrs. Stephenson, is your Mother.”

“I prefer to just think of her as the woman who gave birth to me.”

“Jennifer is she or is she not your Mother?”

“Does a mother shoot her only child?” Jenny asked trying hard to keep her emotions under control. Her comment seemed to have brought the court into some kind of disruption. Out in seclusion of the court room the mystery man heard some of the uproar. ‘You go girl, tell them what you think’. It took the judge a few bangs of his gavel to maintain some type of order in the court room. Meanwhile Michael Sr. looked proudly at his Granddaughter.

“Mr. Williams, your Honor," Jenny said directing her comment to the Judge. "According to my birth certificate I am indeed the offspring of Elena Stephenson. But as for being my mother, she never has been and never will be seen as one in my eyes.”

“That is of course your opinion Jennifer, but in the eyes of the law she is your mother.”

“To quote Charles Dickens, Then the law is an ass sir.” As she said this the Judge glared at the courtroom, daring anyone to start another ruckus. “Your Honor, I mean no disrespect to you or your profession. Back in Dickens day, the term ass was referred to as a fool.” Jenny amended as he turned to her.

“Thank you for clarifying your words Ms. Stephenson. I am, of course, familiar with Dickens, but others may not be so well versed.”

Taking a deep breath Randall Williams prepared his next question. “Jennifer why, do you refuse to refer to your Mother by her title?”

“Objection your Honor what is the point of this line of questioning? Clearly my client, my Granddaughter has her own very obvious reasons for this.”

“I was wondering the same myself Mr. Stephenson. Mr. Williams, would you please just ask relevant questions.”

“Councilor, Your Honor I’m merely trying to establish their relationship.”

“I think that her previous statement made it clear of her relationship," the Judge admonished towards the defense council. "You may continue Councilor, but be mindful of your questioning. This young lady is not the one on trial here.”

“Jennifer would it be fair to say, that it was through your Mother that you are bilingual?”

“In an indirect way yes, no one including Ms. Nazarov spoke English. So, I learned it the hard way.”

“You sound bitter Jennifer. Wouldn't what she had done be considered tough love. Sometimes a loving parent does things a child fails to understand to push their children, a sink or swim situation.” The defense attorney said clearly in a condescending manner.

His line of questioning had only been a few minutes, but to Jenny it seemed like she had been placed on a rack of torture for hours. While she had been coached by her Grandfather on what she could expect in probable questions and how to answer, Defense Attorney Randall Williams had also thrown her many unforeseen questions they had considered pertinent to their case. What Jenny could not and would not be totally prepared for, was the slander he had begun against her personal standing. They knew that the defense would try and push her, but Williams had also tried to intimidate and belittle her, forcing her to acknowledge the placement of Elena as her mother as well as her method of teaching her child. Jenny looked over to her Grandfather and gave a slight nod.

“Your Honor I believe Jenny would like to address the court. I believe that in being allowed to do so she will also answer Mr. Williams’ questions more fully too. So, with your Honors permission and indulgence.”

“Go ahead Jennifer, I for one would be delighted to hear what you have to say.” Judge Franks said after refusing the defenses arguments.

“Thank you, your Honor. I think the best place to begin is with what I thought was the death of my parents. Obviously one of them survived. I will never call her my mother as she has never worthy a role model for me to look up to as one. To hear talk of her tough love methods, perhaps should be considered in the loosest sense. My being bilingual could be interpreted that way, in the weakest manner in that it was the only way 'they' cared to communicate with me.”

Pausing for a drink of water, Jenny then continued. “My Aunt Jewels has been, to me, more of a surrogate mother for as long as I can remember. Daddy’s family have always accepted me for who I am, not for what I can give them. It was Daddy’s family that opened their arms to me and gave me a home. Sure, you can say that it was their duty to do that, but at the same time your Honor, could it not be said the same of the Nazerov family? Had they that same obligation as well? Yet they did not. They instead chose to ignore me in my time of need.”

It was clear that Jenny had said enough leaving the defense quiet as they said they had no further questions. Looking at the hour, Judge Franks ordered a recess for lunch. As Jenny looked at the screen, it was a two-way link. She saw Elena, her biological Mother, stare at her. Elena’s eyes were dark, almost black. Jenny recoiled in horror. The dream she had as Michael came crashing into her head. With a sad realization she accepted that after the trial she would never at any time go to see her birth mother again. Nor would she ever want to.

Sequestered in another room in the court house, five people sat waiting. Four of them were present to testify against Elena. Two of the five were Officers Jozef Donovan and Jana Archer as they formally handed custody of Paul Owen over to the U.S. Marshall’s. Once finished with his own testimony, he would next spend the rest of his life situated with another identity and was expected to live out a very quiet existence. With the fact that Jenny was not actually giving damaging evidence against her mother on the stand, they had been privy to see her deposition against the woman. One of the three men in the room had been brought to tears letting them run freely down his cheeks.

With nearly all the days court procedures completed, Jenny and her Grandfather were about to leave the office to enter an elevator when one of the landline phones started to ring, leaving the supervising agent to answer it. She held out her arm to stop them indicating that the call was for Michael Stephenson Sr., then handed the phone to him. Jenny saw her Grandfathers face change from mild inquisitiveness to shock and surprise then to something she could not explain as his face seemed to color.

“Come on Pumpkin we need to be at the court house right away.” He informed her hurrying towards the elevator as he seemed to pull her along without furthering any explanation.

As a matter of security, a car was made ready to take them both. In short order they arrived at the courthouse, where Michelle Ramirez stood waiting for them. Without waiting on ceremony Chelle escorted the two inside the courthouse to where others were waiting. One seemed more nervous as he waited while Jenny and her Grandfather made their way to him unsure how the reception would be taken.

As they entered the room Chelle stood back as did her (Jenny’s) Grandfather allowing Jenny to enter before him. He knew who was there and wanted her to be the first to see him. As she stepped into the room she noticed that Jozef and Jana stood off to one side of him. The other side of him was Steve Richards. ‘But no, it couldn’t be, he was dead.' She had been forced to see his charred remains. 'This… this just couldn’t be’ she thought. Putting her hands to her mouth in shock then shaking her head in disbelief as water soon blurred the face she thought she would never see again. She felt the tears form and flow in her eyes as she looked at the man she adored not caring before running headlong towards him his arms outstretched.

*************************************************************

Earlier a concerned Steve Richards asked, “Are you okay buddy?”

“Yeah, just so damn proud of her. I hate the fact that she has to go through this fiasco.”

“And so you should, that poor kid is going through Hell.”

“I know Chelle.” A proud father sighed as he drew forth an embroidered handkerchief with its distinctive cursive letters MS to wipe his face. “If there was any way round this I would have taken it. I still can’t believe what Elena had planned to do to her.”

“Allow me to introduce you to Officer Donovan and Officer Archer. Both Officers have been involved personally within the case and have been watching over Jenny.” Steve said as he made the introduction. “Jozef, Jana I’d like you to meet the man who helped pull off this case; Michael Stephenson II, Jenny’s father.” Neither Officer looked particularly astonished at this sudden revelation.

“Pleased to meet you Mr. Stephenson, I have to say,” Jana continued after a moment pause, “that the family resemblance is a dead giveaway.”

“Thank-you." Pleased by the compliment. "So, it was you two that brought down both Paul and Markovic? You, don’t look so surprised in that I'm here."

“I assume Mr. Stephenson that you had, what shall we say? 'Professional assistance' to remain so well hidden.” Jana inquired. “That took some major organizing due to the DNA samples provided.”

“Mr. Stephenson is my Father, I prefer to be called Mike. And you're absolutely correct Officer Archer. I was under cover shall we say. But I still knew what was going on. It was your actions that helped me to close them down in Europe. I had help from an NCA Officer named Edward Palmer.”

“That would explain some of the inconsistencies we were puzzled about.”

“In the limited time we had Officer Donovan there was bound to be some. But we hoped that it would end before the year was up. We knew that it would be pretty much impossible to maintain our cover any longer than that.”

“Pleased to have helped you out - Mike.” Jana was smiling as she responded.

“So, what will happen now Mike?” Jozef inquired.

“I guess the next step is to formally wrap all this up in a nice neat package and reunite myself with my family.”

“I know Jenny will be more than happy to see you. But good luck with Julie. That is one lady you don’t need or want to get on the wrong side of.” Steve hinted at.

“Yep Kara Thompson found that out to her cost.” Jana said with mild glee.

“Kara Thompson the defense attorney? That Kara Thompson?” Mike looked shocked. He knew of where Kara Thompson was deemed a shark in the legal department.

“The same. She was the one defending Paul Owen. Owen had asked to see Julie, then she tried to tape the conversation. Julie went after her like a pit-bull, even threatened her with the State Attorney General.” Steve informed him.

“Oh boy, she’s going to kill me.”

Chelle whispered to her husband. Mike Stephenson had not witnessed it. But both Jozef and Jana had. Neither of them knew for sure but they did guess what it was about. Steve Richards grinned at the thought and nodded his head.

“Mike how about we start to mend some of those broken fences. Jenny and your father are just a block away in our building. Would you like me to make a call and have them brought over?”

Steve watched as Michael Stephenson gave a slight nod as with a sudden display of unease. Taking out his cell to make the call he would place another to Anya. She asked to know the outcome after conveying her worry about how Jenny would handle the affair after everything that was going on with her. She was sure Jenny would cope with the questioning, but was uneasy with the strain of past events as with the trepidation about the up and coming empath. Both she and Grandmother were to be on hand if Jenny needed to reach out to them. One of their first endeavors was to teach Jenny on how to block any thoughts that her Mother may try to make to the new empath. Their training had proved to be of value as the woman had secretly attempted to do so with Jenny.

*****************************************************************

Mike Stephenson opened his arms to her and said. “Hi Peggy Sue, yeah it’s me I’m really here.”

“Daddy, oh Daddy I’ve missed you so much.” She squealed as she flung into his waiting arms. The tears were now flowing freely down her face. If she had looked, she would have seen that her father was crying almost as hard. Tears mixed as the Tsunami of emotions swept over the two of them. In truth it wasn’t just the two of them that felt it for at that moment the presiding Judge Franks had entered the room. Due to the recent flood of new evidence and the defense team had finally managed to go over, their legal tactic had changed, opting to instead go for a plea bargain while they still had the chance. The evidence proved so solid Michael's need to take the stand was no longer seen necessary.

That evening the Stephenson clan met at Miyoka Japanese restaurant; Michael Stephenson Sr., his wife Sally, children Julie, and Mike as with Cassie, and Jenny. Per personal invitational request Jozef, Jana, Steve, his wife Chelle were asked to attend as well and see the retribution of his sister Julie’s wrath. Marching up to her younger brother she slapped him across the face.

“Michael Stephenson don’t you ever and I do mean ever do anything like that to us again.” None of the Stephensons seemed particularly surprised over her reaction as her face still showed remnants of where tears formed. "I'll kill him." She proclaimed when word first reached her.

As Michael rubbed his stinging face he saw just how relieved his sister was. Both brother and sister hugged each other. “I’m sorry Julie I really had no other choice.” He whispered into his now sobbing sister’s ear. Jenny had insisted at the start that she would eat only with a knife and fork. As it turned out she would be the only one to dine with such utensils.

“What’s wrong Cuz, don’t feel confident with chopsticks?” Cassie teased after they had ordered.

“One of us needs to keep a little decorum here.” Jenny answered back not the least put off.

“Oh of course, British stiff upper lip and all that. I understand completely old thing.” Cassie returned with a reasonably good British accent turning the banter up a notch.

Turning to her father Jenny asked almost as an afterthought. “Daddy can I slap her just once?” She batted her eyelids in an attempt to wrap him round her little finger. “Please Daddy it would mean so much to me.”

It was the look in her eyes as her father heard the request that betrayed the fact that this was only harmless banter. Cassie and Julie looked at each other, then smiled. This was what had been missing. Something that had been misplaced for several weeks. And now with the return of both brother, father, and Uncle, each knew for certain now that they had the old Jenny back. Without a moment’s thought Cassie stood and made her way round the table to Jenny. At the same time, Jenny made the same gesture and also stood up as Cass approached Jenny leaving the others to watch the upcoming display. In unison both girls came together in a hug with Jenny apologizing in her ear. The family sighed with relief as if a huge dark burden had just swiftly been lifted.

“So, Mike, do you still want to live like a troll or do you have other plans now?" Chelle asked with more than a little teasing in her voice.

“Yeah, I do need a place to stay now, for a while at least. I do have a couple of things I need to tidy up first.” It was obvious that Mike Stephenson had said all that he intended to say on that subject. “But, if it’s OK with you Sis I’d like to crash at your place for a while.”

Julie simply nodded her agreement to her brother but did not say anything. There was a look of mischief in the older man’s eyes as he heard his son make the request. One or two noticed it including his wife but no one said anything. Knowing that it was now agreed he decided that this was the time to let his son know.

“Yeah, I think that’s a great idea Son, but I think it only fair to let you know. While there, keep a very low profile as you’ll have four women climbing the walls if you follow what I mean.” There was an unmistakable look of pleasure on his face as slowly Mike came to grips with what he meant.

“You know Pop, I think in the circumstances it may be better to stop and help Mom and you for a few days first.”

“No Michael, Mom and Dad need a little time to themselves.” Julie spoke in a chilling voice that no younger brother would dare argue with. He looked pleadingly at Steve and Chelle.

“Sorry buddy, you’re on your own on this one.” Steve said holding his hands up as if in surrender. Mike knew better in that he was beaten and so gave in scrapping in what little dignity he had left.

“Tell you what Michael.” Julie spoke up. “Take the basement apartment for a few days. You’ll probably be safer there, plus you’ll be able to tidy up the loose ends.”

As this was the middle of the week for what turned out as a happy reunion of sorts, they all had to leave at a reasonable time to enable them to attend work or school the following day. Jenny for one was decidedly very happy she had her father back. The major point concerning her now was where would she go? The last thing she wanted now was to go back home to the UK. In her mind she no longer considered it her home. With the upheaval months prior and where High School had been a challenge at first, she found herself not wanting to leave. She had made new friends and had built a social life. On the other hand, her father was now back in her life. It was then that Jenny knew that she didn't want to return. She wanted to stay in the U.S. Her life on the other side of the pond was over, this was her new life.

Much to her pleasure Jenny found how talkative, open she had become once more as the two members chatted catching him up on her life, her father delighted to know how well she had been doing after his mock death. To hear her it was music to his ears having missed the sound of her voice as she had tried out and had been selected as a cheerleader. In what turned out to be more of a surprise for him to hear, that she had auditioned for and got the part of Sandy. Fond memories surfaced from when his little Peggy Sue would dance with him.

***********

Ms. Simmonds had received permission from the Principal to run a final full-dress rehearsal that Friday afternoon reminding the cast of arranging for rides as with telling parents. Ensured that they would start a few minutes after school had finished, Jenny knew all the songs but still struggled a little with her lines. Dave Martin had proved a big help in having her devise ways to remember her lines and cues. The choreography was not so much a challenge as she was familiar with that style of dance. Amazingly they sailed through the dress rehearsal with very few mistakes. Bill Branson looked on with pride as his now girlfriend shone in her role. And yet he felt a pang of jealousy towards Dave and Jenny as they sang and danced through the finale. What made him feel better was that Daniele Hilton, Dave’s girlfriend, was seated next to him. She expressed how she also had similar feelings in watching the two on stage, but both couples had decided to meet afterwards at the ice cream parlor.

Jenny and Bill arrived first. Noticing an empty booth, they sat down as if to claim it. Looking around Jenny noticed that Erika was sat with her boyfriend Phil Williams and Lucy were sat with Mark Hammond. Giving a small wave to her friends she turned to look at Bill who looked rather perturbed. A few minutes later Dave and Daniele sat down opposite them. It was clear that of the four kids at least two of them felt uncomfortable.

“You OK Bill?" A concerned Jenny asked. "You’re not looking any too happy right now.”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. ... Awe who am I kidding. No, I’m not, Jenny, I’m jealous. I know it’s not reasonable but that’s how it is. And if you want to know, so is Daniele.”

“No, I understand what you’re saying. Bill you’re my boyfriend, it’s you I want to be with. You’re forgetting I got detention for a week over that squabbling over you.” She smiled as she said this and raised her hand to Bill’s face. Jenny stroked the side of his face softly then leaned in to kiss him.”

“Oh, for goodness sake you two, get a room.” Dave Martin said. Then turning to Daniele, he continued. “See what I mean? Didn't I say Jenny only has eyes for Bill, he’s all she spoke about when we were offstage, and she’d be peering through the wings, looking for him.”

“Yep and, where was he? Sitting next to the leading man’s girlfriend,” Jenny added never breaking her smile. It seemed so warm and genuine. “Neither of you have anything to worry about. Daniele, you are so lucky to have him. Dave is a wonderful guy. He’s helped me out so much in remembering my lines. When we go on stage we act like boyfriend and girlfriend. And that’s all it is. An act. We’re playing characters in a play.”

“I, I know that Jennifer. It’s just … so hard.” Daniele felt the tears start to form.

“Guys why don’t you go get us an ice cream? Daniele and I can get to know each other.” Jenny suggested heavily to two oblivious guys.

Bill and Dave looked at each other than shrugged as they went to leave. Neither really had a clue as to what Jenny had in mind. As the boys left Jenny reached across the table placing her hand in Daniele’s hand.

“May I call you Dannie?” Daniele nodded her agreement. “Dannie, I want us to be friends. I know how it is to feel unsure of yourself. I now live, not just in a new town but a new country. But let me assure you, Dave is crazy about you.”

“That’s easy for you to say. OK not the moving part, but the rest. You’re so pretty, you’re rich. Hell, girl you drive an expensive car." An exasperated Daniele proclaimed. "You can never relate to how I feel.”

“Can't I?" Jenny asked as she held onto the girl's hand. It seemed to be trembling and, yet she let Jenny continue to console her. "Bill said pretty much the same to me Dannie. Yes, I have an expensive car, it was a gift meant to try and take the edge off the fact I lost both my parents. Or so we all thought I had at the time. I’m a trust baby, but I’m not some spoiled brat. At least I don’t want to think so.” Jenny grinned as she said this. “I have to do chores to earn money so I can run the car. The woman who gave birth to me shot me, can you relate to that Dannie?” Jenny felt the tears start down her face as she revealed the last sentence.

“No, no I guess I can’t Jennifer. My family are all pretty close and protective.” Dannie answered her whole demeanor changing.

“Except for Erika, Phil, Lucy, Mark, and Bill, who’s obviously my boyfriend, Dannie, I have no other friends.”

“So, are you trying to tell me that you’re a poor little rich girl?” Dannie’s tone of voice and the slow developing smile on her face, gave away the fact she was teasing Jenny.

“Yeah, pretty much, you can call me a poor little rich girl. Let me quote you a pretty corny line from a great cheesy movie I actually quite like. It’s from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. "Nobility is not a birthright. It's defined by one's actions." That is pretty much how I was raised, as I said I 'have to' do chores to run my car. And please call me Jenny. I’m used to being called Jennifer when I’m in trouble. And trust me that has happened a lot quite recently.”

Shortly after their brief talk the boys came back with the ice cream. Both had watched from afar unable to hear the conversation, but from what they had seen, some sort of mysterious bond seemed to take place that only girls seemed to understand. The remainder of the time was spent acquainting themselves. It surprised Daniele how much she had in common with Jenny. Both had a love of literature, she suggested Jenny read Nathaniel Hawthorne’s ‘The Scarlet Letter.’ Jenny suggested a look at Charles Dickens.

Saturday found Jenny waking surprisingly refreshed as arms stretched upwards flexing fingers in an out just before getting out of bed. For the first time in a long time, she felt totally relaxed and happy. Looking at her Minnie Mouse sleeping tee shirt. “That's it. Tonight, after the show I’m wearing my Disney Princess’ nightie.” She said aloud to no one in particular, and if any did hear she'd tell them directly to their face daring them to tease her over it.

Breakfast that morning was great. Aunt Flo had left, departing as usual with the promise of returning later sometime within the next month. Her father had returned from the dead and was back in her life. Her mother’s trial was coming to its foregone conclusion, meaning that the woman would be in prison for a long time to come. She had some great friends at last, even acquired another one too last evening. Jenny was now realizing just how good the positive effect of her powers could be. Without making any effort at all, the positive feelings of all those close affected her mood as with the sudden voice echoing within her thoughts.

‘How does it all feel now?’ She heard Anya ask.

‘Just amazing Anya, I never thought it could feel this good.’ It was as if she could hear the sound of slight chuckling as Anya wished her well leaving the girl to her own thoughts once more.

After that Jenny undressed, took her shower and dressed in only a towel looked through her closet trying to decide on what to wear. Unlike her old self (who seemed to grow more distant) and basically wore the same type of clothes, Jenny modeled several dresses, skirts and tops, opting to wear a white pleated A line skirt with various colored flowers that came down just above her knees as with a flowing blouse for the day. 'This is me now,' she thought to herself, 'I’m just going to be me. No more pretending.' Looking through her underwear draw Jenny selected a matching white bra and panties set. OK the skirt did have some pink and she had a moment’s thought. Renouncing the urge to change her mind she wore it along with the white shirt. Sure, it was girlish. More girlish than what she typically wore but she should be proud of who she was and not live in fear of it. Picking up a scrunchie for her hair, then brushing and pulling for a ponytail, Jenny looked in the mirror feeling happy as she went down to breakfast.

To no one's surprise Jenny was the last one down to show for breakfast but no one made any attempts to question her as she had been out quite late. To say people were shocked would be an understatement when they saw her appearance. To them she had been like a bear with a sore head for a few weeks. Then of course there was her monthly visitor, but all four of them suffered that at the time and none dared to question why four women came together so easily as the only male took refuge deep within the bowels of the home basement not even surfacing to eat after he made the fatal mistake that first night. Of course, it wasn't as bad as it seemed only he felt intimidated as one sister, one daughter as with two young women gave him looks that would have made Siberia seem like paradise.

No, this time Jenny was dressed more like a girl her age. She had taken time on her appearance. Julie, Cassie, and Maria all looked at one another then Julie spoke.

“OK who are you and what have you done with my niece?” Julie demanded to Jenny's dismay.

“Aunt Jewels!” Jenny almost whined with the rolling of her eyes.

“Eye rolling, that’s cute. But it still doesn’t answer Mom’s question.” Cassie also demanded in jest.

Taking his cue at that moment, a rescue of sorts came in the form of her father. Looking at his daughter, a misty-eyed Michael took in his daughter's new appearance as several months of hiding had prevented his seeing the sweeping changes now taking place over his daughter.

“You’ll never believe how much I’ve missed you sweetheart. I also want you to know how proud I was of you in court earlier this week.” Then turning to his elder sister, he said. “Julie, I need to ask a big favor. I spoke to Mom and Pop and they’re in agreement if you are.”

“What do you want to ask me Mike?”

“Well the guy that helped me go into hiding in the UK. He’s a cop, kinda like Steve Richards. He’s from the NCA the National Crime Agency. If it wasn’t for Ed Palmer, I would never have been able to pull it off.”

“The point. Get to the point of what you're wanting Michael.” Julie demanded suspiciously.

“I’m not sure of all the ins and out of it all. But he has a niece. She's going through a bad time at the moment.” Pausing a moment, he knew that what he was asking would be difficult. “Jewels I’ve invited them here. The three of them, to come over for a couple of weeks. I’ll stay at Mom and Pop’s with Ed. I wondered if ...”

“They could stop in the apartment?” Julie finished for him. She waited a moment as if she were thinking it over, teasing him, then gave a sly smile.

“Sure, if it means so much to you. When do they arrive by the way?”

“UMM this afternoon.”

Julie closed her eyes then slowly shook her head. “Okay Michael that's it, you now have ten seconds to get out of my sight.” Her voice hinted yet held no malice. Her brother was up to some of his old tricks in taking advantage of her good nature from back when they were kids. Worse was she knew that he knew it.

“Thanks Sis this means so much to me.” He kissed Julie on the top of her head. Then ran to the door, he had seen this look so many times in his life. Just as he reached the door he ducked just in time. He heard as with felt the breeze of its impact as a chair cushion hit the door frame. Turning around he called to Jenny. “We’ve all got tickets to see the show tonight Peggy Sue. If I don’t see you before tonight sweetheart, break a leg. ”

As Jenny reflected on all this she came to a realization of several facts. First she was so pleased that Ms Simmonds had called that last dress rehearsal last night. First of all because they managed to iron out a few wrinkles that bothered her about the show. But then she also made another friend last night too. On further reflection despite, the court case and all it had incurred. This had probably been the best five or six weeks of her school life.

Julie simply laughed as her brother made his escape. One thing was for sure, he hadn’t change at all even with all he had been through. Turning to Maria she asked. “After breakfast Maria, could you check out the apartment please, and see what needs to be done in there.”

“I’ll help you Maria.” Jenny offered.

******************************************************************

At the start of the show Ms. Simmonds announced that this was not the usual High School version. Some of it had been toned down a little but not enough to cancel out the intended message they hoped to send out to many of the students in the audience. Especially the girls.

During the act dealing with sleepover scene while Sandy/Jenny was using the bathroom, Erika who was playing Rizzo, sang with gusto and playing the part with complete passion.

“Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee, lousy with virginity
Won't go to bed till I'm legally wed, I can't, I'm Sandra Dee
Watch it, hey, I'm Doris Day, I was not brought up that way
Won't come across, even Rock Hudson lost his heart to Doris Day
I don't drink or swear, I won't rat my hair, I get ill from one cigarette
Keep your filthy paws off my silky drawers.
Would you pull that crap with Annette?”

Using the whole stage for her cruel parody of Sandy. Erika moved the audience almost to outrage. Both Jenny and Dave were in the wings watching. The whole show went so well very few mistakes were made all through. Then came the finale.

“I got chills, they're multiplying
And I'm losing control
Cause the power you're supplying
It's electrifying!”

Dave was looking intently at Jenny as he sang. She responded by taking both his hands then looking at him and responded.

“You better shape up, cause I need a man
And my heart is set on you
You better shape up, you better understand
To my heart, I must be true.”

Then all sang the chorus.

You're the one that I want (you are the one I want)
Oo-oo-oo, honey
The one that I want (you are the one I want)
Oo-oo-oo, honey
The one that I want (you are the one I want)
Oo-oo-oo, the one I need (one I need)
Oh, yes, indeed (yes indeed)

Then Jenny sang the next verse too.

“You better shape up, cause I need a man
And my heart is set on you
You better shape up, you better understand
To my heart, I must be true”

The final chorus was finished as all the cast joined in. Finished and not paying attention to the audience Jenny, as with many of the other cast members, was shocked to see a standing ovation when the lights dimmed to allow them to see out into the auditorium. Although drenched in sweat she saw where her own loving boyfriend was seated in the front row with his family. As they all stepped forward to take their accolades she others she hadn't expected. Her friends from Bikini beach. Grandmother and Anya were standing, both with unexpected smiles as they took to applauding the performance. But then came her biggest surprise and the unexpected pride she found with their attendance of the night.

Her own family were standing there clapping and cheering as well as Maria. But next to her father was another man. Someone she had never met but it was who was standing next to him that sealed the icing of who the man had to be. For there were Katie and Melanie Harris. Breaking with tradition Jenny knelt down on one knee and pointed to the astonished little girl as cast members watched in awe where Jenny held out her arms. The little tornado didn’t need any more bidding as Melanie Harris rushed towards the stage, up the side stairs and straight into Jenny’s arms.

“Poo you’re smelly and sweaty Jenny.” For those who heard her close to the stage several audience members broke out into laughter followed by others as Melanie exclamation was picked up then sent out by Jenny’s mic.

Soon after the cast went backstage while the audience went home. That is except for a select few. The night would prove to be long and seem so short.

Some cultural differences that may cause some confusion

U.K U.S
Tele TV
Head Teacher Principle
Jelly Jello
Registration class Home class

Knives and forks Brits generally eat with the knife in the right hand and fork in the left.

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Kudos

BobbieCD56's picture

I have to say that I truly enjoyed this addition to BB.
Well written and lightly humorous without jumping the shark as it were.
Melanie makes an endearing character and the ending feels just about as perfect as you could want.

Wow Jenny sure

Samantha Heart's picture

Had her downs but in the end she had the ups as well. Her powers as still coming in but she has very good teachers in those at bikini beach. They taught her how to block her mother's influence, and how others mood affect her. Little Melanie has her adopted big sister back, Katie her friend even if Jenny is younger then her by several years, and both girls got their daddy back that'd what has helped Jenny so much.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Overall

It is a good story.

While there are a number of issues with grammar and punctuation that interfere somewhat with readability, most of them are pretty trivial. But there is one thing that goes beyond that: the document is the Declaration of Independence rather than Proclamation. Even in UK English, declaration and proclamation are different terms, and it is particularly important to use the formal name of that specific document.

Jorey
.

You're right.

Grammar and punctuation can never be totally correct, as we all have different speech patterns so I'm told. I for one have no iodea as my speech is pretty flat due to deafness. At least this is what I'm told lol so I guess there will always be some errors there. But yes I have corrected that now Jorey and thanks for pointing that out to me it's something that I should have noticed.

Cheryl