Tammy:Deathtrap - Part 11 "Care In The Community"

Printer-friendly version
 Deathtrap  

Part
 
Eleven

 

"Care In The Community"

 

 
Wednesday 30th November 2016
 

"Are you okay, Tammy?"

"Err, yes James."

"You look as if you're miles away?"

"Ummm." Tammy had certainly been staring past James, completely unfocused.

"Look, we can scrub dinner if you're not up to it?"

"Maybe."

"Tammy, tell me what's wrong?"

"I can't."

"Can't or won't?"

"Both."

"What is it, a ruddy secret?"

Tammy blushed.

"Oh, is it woman's problems?"

"Something like that."

"I can re-arrange?"

"No, James, you can take my mind off it."

Tammy had first met James during her stint on the Business Studies course a year earlier but they hadn't spoken much. James, however, had made a point of regularly joining Tammy for a coffee and it started from there, albeit slowly. It was a lovely surprise to find that he'd auditioned for Deathtrap but Iain hadn't awarded James one of the key parts, only that of an understudy.

They ate in the Italian, Tammy figured that 'Pollo al forno patate e funghi' wouldn't be too difficult for her, given that she's had a knot in her stomach since Monday.

"I'm sorry, James, I have a touch of indigestion."

"You nearly finished it, never mind, will you feel better in a few days?"

"Hopefully. Can you call me a taxi?"

"Of course."

She was home fifteen minutes later and was certain she'd ruined the evening, maybe it would have been better to have cancelled? She really didn't know. Tammy was also looking for a life raft after being cast adrift by UK Intelligence.

What had Jenny said a week earlier? Tammy struggled to recall it, "I can't protect you if you continue this line."

Of course, the context was now different, but was Jenny trying to protect her? Tammy hadn't dared call her manager, or even her sister, in case the deceit had spread that close to home?

Kerri had no more information for her, either, or she would have broken some rule, sanction or code. Unless Tammy did something for herself, she was truly on her own.

Naturally, that was easier said than done. It was nine in the evening and she was due at the university in the morning and at the theatre for most of the rest of the day. Friday and Saturday were just a nightmare waiting to happen, she'd split the casts so they only had one show each a day, but, as director, was on her own - again!

There was a new text message on her phone.

Sorry it's a bit late, I wanted to check with uncle Iain first. Tom was in front of the Sheriff this afternoon. He was fined £400 for stalking me. He was warned not to repeat it

Hi Lucy, thanks for letting me know. Please report anything else that happens

That's what uncle Iain said. I'll see you tomorrow

Tammy hadn't realised that Tom would end up in court, but even she didn't know the full facts. A conviction was likely to cause him trouble in the future with employers, but that was not her concern.

Whatever she needed to do, for herself, would have to wait until the play was finished, and she had a pretty good idea what was going to happen.

One concern was this data, the lists. Of course her name was on it, but anyone should be able to find her even without the database. Their home was the registered home of Smart Dunbankin Ltd and several other companies, although a few were offshore to minimise costs and increase financial security.

So a search of Companies House, the central UK business registration agency, would instantly reveal her name, company name and position on that company's board. She was hardly hiding, it was her connection to the intelligence community that was being obscured.

Sharon Gainsborough had known Tammy could only have done a course at GCHQ if she had a good reason, but had Tammy told her what she did? There was a risk, but was Sharon just the purveyor of the database? How many folk, who were former agents, knew about Tammy?

Hilary Bull was one, Tammy had worked with her and then had been chased around the gardens of St Paul's Cathedral by Hilary before the woman was captured. She was in prison somewhere, as far as Tammy knew. Ben Franklin had a good idea of Tammy's work, but he was, hopefully, going to keep his mouth shut.

The Gores were a concern as well, although only Martin Gore liable to do anything and he was now in Belmarsh High Security Prison near London. Martina had been placed in a boarding school somewhere in the Midlands and both of her parents were dead. Anita had been shot by Tammy a year earlier and John had suffered an accident whilst on remand awaiting trial. The suggestion was that John had failed to complete on a contract. One question remained, where had John and Anita sent their intelligence reports about Tammy?

Paula Lavoska had been arrested after the attempted abduction of Andrea McPherson on a train and was being held pending trial as she was considered a flight risk, her sister Penny was missing and presumed to be out of the UK. Both had suggested that Tammy was an intelligence operative but equally both could have made an attempt on Tammy regardless of the database.

Also in prison were Yvonne Stewart, Jerry Trethgarwyn, Doran Kelmendi and Alban Berisha. There had been two attempts on Tammy's life as she arrived at the Old Bailey for Kelmendi and Berisha's trials, resulting in the barrister for the Albanians being arrested.

Another concern was the gang called 'True Freedom' who had launched a terror attack on London, starting with a random coffee house shooting. Tammy, and Kerri, happened to be there at the time and took out the terrorists, but the inquest had become deadly. Tammy hadn't yet been called to testify at the inquest and didn't know if it had already been held in secret. Next up was the trial of the two surviving terrorists, did they know her name?

What of the Templetons? Carl Templeton had left St Andrews after a short tenure and she had no idea where he was. She strongly suspected he was an MI6 informer or operative, possibly former operative, but he was officially off-limits. His brother, Donald, was more of a mystery; Donald was Tammy's senior lecturer but had clearly taken an interest in her background and seemed to have privileged information about her. He'd also been to see Martin Gore in prison several times, but could this be explained because Martin had worked for the university?

Closer to home Helen McPherson was a gossip, but Tammy could do very little about her. Could Helen be bought? She had money but not all of it was accessible to her until her twenty-first birthday. Of another McPherson, John McPherson was in prison on terrorist charges, it was said he was still trying to prove that Tammy was male.

So, was Tammy at risk because of the database? She guessed not, as she was living in plain sight and had already garnered the attention of the criminal fraternity; although her natural mother, Tara, was to blame for some of her troubles.

Tammy decided she simply had to get on with her life; to the residents of Thurso, and the surrounding area, she was a student, with a sideline in the theatre as an occasional actor and director.

If someone wanted her out of the intelligence game, she would appear to acquiesce to their unwritten demands, let them think she'd given up. If she wasn't a risk to them, could she get on with her life? Of course, that's what she would like them to believe, just how could she deal with the situation that MI6 had created?

That question could wait, right now Tammy had bigger issues to deal with.

 
Thursday 1st December 2016
 

Tammy was surprised to see Tom in the university, earning her a glare as they passed in the main lobby. She continued her walk to the coffee stall before heading to the seminar room they were using that morning. One of the junior tutors walked in.

"Good morning everyone, we're doing a test this morning based on your recent work, Please collect your sealed test pack from the front."

The twenty or so students all started to move, Tammy hung back t avoid the crush.

The tannoy burst into life "Tom Lake, please report to the Principal's Office." It was clear that a few of those present knew Tom and a few heads turned towards Tammy although only Lucas made a comment, by which time Tom was out of the door.

"You set Tom up, didn't you?" Tammy shook her head but said nothing.

"OK everyone, you have ninety minutes, starting now. Additional sheets are available if you need them."

Tammy opened the envelope to find two test papers, one of the multiple-guess variety and one that required expanded answers. She guessed that most would start with the first of the papers but that was only worth thirty percent of the overall mark, so she started with the first quesion on the other paper.

Q1: You have been accused of bullying but you feel you've done nothing wrong, what recourse do you have?

Tammy stared at the question, she'd been accused by her first shrink, Jill, of pushing Angela into transition. Fortunately, on that occasion, Joan and Elsie had defended Tammy. On the flipside, John McPherson had threatened and harassed Tammy when he's discovered she'd been born male, in that case she had resorted to a court injunction to prevent him publishing the allegations in the media. She started writing.

It was just over an hour later that Tammy had written answers to the six questions, she now had twenty two minutes to tackle the thirty multiple-choice questions.

"Time's up."

Tammy put her pen down, she had skipped a few of the questions and had just managed to go back and answer them, although she had some doubts about those choices.

"Put your sheets in the envelope and write your name on the outside. Don't forget to put your name on every sheet you used!"

The tutor went around the room to collect the envelopes, stopping at Tammy's table briefly. "The Principal would like to see you now."

She picked up her bag and jacket and headed out of the door, behind her Lucas was sneering "bye bye!"

Tammy waited by the PA's desk for the few minutes it took for the Principal to finish his important business.

"You can go in now."

She was waved into a seat across from the Principal.

"Thank you Miss Smart, I must advise you that I've received a complaint."

"About me, Sir?"

"Yes, the complaint alleged that you had been involved in harassing another student."

"Really, I suggest you give me some evidence before I call my solicitor."

"Please don't be hasty Miss Smart, all I've said is that we had received a complaint. Perhaps I might be allowed to explain what we did next?"

"Of course."

"As the incident happened offsite, at the Mill Theatre, I called the Theatre's Chairman to ask if he knew of this. He was able to clarify what had happened and no further action is needed."

"Such as?"

"An alleged assault."

"Which never happened."

"Indeed, and I trust Dr McIntosh in this matter. There was also no report to the police, which further cast doubt on the allegation."

"Good, I too trust Steven and I know he would have said exactly what happened."

"Indeed."

"Now, what about Tom Lake?"

"That's confidential."

"So you allowed him to spout off about me?"

"Actually, his mother made the allegation and this was supported by another student."

"I stand, er sit, corrected."

"Just to let you know, later this morning we will be submitting a statement on bullying and harassment to the local media with a copy on our website. We have a zero tolerance approach as we hope to have a happy and safe learning environment for our students and staff."

"So he's no longer welcome here? I just hope his fan club get the message as well?"

"I would urge you to report any issues."

"Sir, I have a thick skin and can cope with jibes. I've also had several attempts on my life in the last few years so a few harsh words really don't bother me."

"I hope you don't carry any weapons in the university?"

"Not normally, Sir." Tammy smiled as she stood. "I believe you're done with me?"

"Yes, thank you, and I have tickets for the final performance."

Tammy needed a drink, and a little relaxation, before the next session. Unfortunately she spotted Lucas near the coffee stall and her instincts wondered what he'd do next as she still wanted a coffee and didn't have the time to go to another outlet. As a precaution she reached into her bag and hit the audio recording app before dropping the phone back into her bag, leaving it unclasped.

As she approached the stall, Lucas was happily talking into his phone, a drink in the other hand.

"Yeah, she got dragged off and we won't see her again."

Tammy squeezed closer, keeping to his blind side.

"No, they won't know it was me."

Tammy saw an opportunity, "yes, they will!"

Lucas spun around.

"You bitch, what are you still doing here?"

"Getting a coffee before we head to the lecture theatre."

"You're out of here!"

"Nope."

Tammy could sense malice but there were too many students around, and more were approaching. Lucas turned to leave. "This ain't over."

"I couldn't agree more!" Said Tammy to whoever was listening. She reached for her phone and stopped the recording before, finally, approaching the stall for her drink.

A few minutes later she was in the lecture theatre ready for two hours of excitement, or boredom. She had clearly fazed Lucas as he only made eye contact once whilst the tutor droned on about the support available for ex prisoners returning to society, and the hardships they faced.

Tammy had helped put a good few in the courts and subsequently into prison and their freedom wasn't anything she'd considered. For terrorists there was often only one way they could leave a maximum security establishment, so she hadn't been involved with parole arrangements.

What of the minor criminals, such as Lucas' uncle? Once he'd finished the short sentence for assaulting Tammy and Angela, an incident that had occurred two years earlier, it hadn't been long before he was involved with thieving and assaulting behaviour. Could James Dougall be truly rehabilitated?

The way the lecturer was speaking, sending these poor unfortunates to prison was counter-productive and he suggested support in the community was a better approach. Judging by the mutterings and head shaking, most of the students didn't agree. Tammy wondered if she shouldn't have the tutor's name put through the Police National Computer?

"Excuse me sir, that's utter garbage."

Tammy turned her head, a lad had stood up and was addressing the tutor.

"How is it acceptable to put a dangerous criminal, or someone who has no regard for people and property, back on the street as if they had done nothing wrong?"

"It isn't as simple as that," replied the tutor, "society could be directly responsible for that person's behaviour."

The lecture theatre erupted in laughter, Tammy stifled her own amusement at the comment, remembering that she was a professional. The room died down as the tutor regained control, although it was clear that all credence had been lost.

"Clearly there are circumstances where incarceration is the only sensible solution."

The lunch bell sounded outside the room and, without waiting for permission, the students headed for the door.

Tammy had a lunchtime appointment and wasn't going to allow anyone to ruin it.

James was already in the bar when Tammy reached the Castletown Hotel.

"Wine, if you're feeling up to it?"

"No, James, I have a very busy rest-of-the-day and I'll be driving."

"Okay, let's grab a table and you can tell me how your day's been so far."

up
403 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

move here, move there

Alecia Snowfall's picture

a move here, a move there. Perhaps Tammy is learning to tackle things in a more efficient manner.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

True

WillowD's picture

But people who don't let themselves be pushed around also have this problem.

(I am so glad to be reading more about Tammy.)

What a moron!

society could be directly responsible for that person's behaviour

No, it is that person who is responsible for his/her behaviour, not society. Can't behave? Then it's the hemp jig for you!

Tammy needs to write an

Tammy needs to write an interaction report or two, and the spooks at head office can trace Lucas' call.

Responsibility is shared

WARNING: As you read this, you should know that I have had more than my share of first hand experiences of criminal behavior including sexual assault, physical assault and battery, burglary and robbery- I'm a survivor of all of my experiences but refuse to play the victim. I am a realist- not a so called bleeding heart nor a knee jerk law and order advocate.

Sometimes all of the responsibility for what is judged criminal behavior rests entirely with society, other times it rests entirely with the individual and most of the time it is shared.

Here in the good old USA, there are untold tens of thousands of people on the streets. They are often mentally ill, and/ or military combat veterans who have untreated PTSD. Others are people who lost jobs through downsizing or off shoring and the jobs never came back. Yet others worked until illness and injury forced them out of the workforce and society has abandoned them. Then there are people- quite often racial or ethnic minorities, who have NEVER had the opportunities growing up that whites had. The legacy of de jure and de facto segregation lives on. So many of these people didn't have a chance to succeed so they are on the margins of society (yes, there are exceptions who do succeed despite the odds, but that doesn't mean everyone else in the same situation is able to do so). Many of these people steal to survive and use drugs and or alcohol to numb the pain of their existence. WE, as a society put the vast majority of people in these circumstances in the positions they find themselves and OUR failure to provide resources equally keeps them there and forces their criminal acts.

What about all the people who have been made into criminals because society passed laws criminalizing inter racial marriage and consensual relationships between same sex couples, or laws that refuse recognize transgender or intersex status? The onus for ALL such "criminality" is borne by society.

Crimes of greed and economic exploitation by people who have money and only want more- that is the responsibility of the individual unless you are the CEO of a corporation, then it is acting in the best interest of the corporation and entitles you to a multi-million dollar bonus- regardless of how many people you impoverish and how many billions you profit.

Rape, sexual exploitation, slavery, child abuse, assault and murder are almost always matters of individual responsibility absent provable mental illness- which raises the question of societies roll in providing treatment for the mentally ill.

The ugly truth is that when it comes to criminal behavior, things are not always a matter of individual responsibility; more often than not there are underlying societal issues that are easier to ignore than face when dealing with individuals charged with crime. Yes, criminal behavior needs to be addressed and society protected. At the same time, offenders should have meaningful opportunities for rehabilitation and, when appropriate, re-integration into society. But most of all, we need to be working towards a just and ethical society where there is true equality and opportunity for all- regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or any other arbitrary factor that people want to use as an excuse to create an underclass of society.

So Sad

Sad to say, society seems to be heading the other direction. The lid is off and and anybody not a white male is the underclass to a greater or lesser degree.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

set loose

maybe its for the best.

DogSig.png

There Are Boundaries

joannebarbarella's picture

The law is there for a reason. If you do the crime you do the time.

And what if the law is unjust

And what if the law is unjust? What if powerfull lobby organizations make the government twist the laws in their favor?

The word re-habilitate has

The word re-habilitate has several meanings. One such is: to restore to a former capacity. So if a person is a bank robber, or a con-artist when he/she is arrested, once they have served their time and been "re-habilitated", have we simply made them a better bank robber or con-artist?
I was once told by a Federal Inmate back in the early 1970's, at USP MCNeil Island that if a person actually looked at it, there was no such thing as re-habilitation of any prisoner.
It was, in his experience, a totally internal decision by the person to no longer want to play the kids game of "cops and robbers".
He told me that the majority were playing that "game" and until they personally decided they no longer wished to do, they would continue to come back to prison.
He and his "running partner" at the time were the two oldest Federal inmates in the entire Prison System. They were in their 80's.
They both had started out being bank robbers and were associated with several well known 1930s gangs.
Two such being "The Ma Barker Gang"; and The "Machine Gun Kelly" Gang".
This particular inmate came from an ultra-wealthy family on the East Coast, but he told me that he informed his family he was going to become a Bank Robber, and did so. Being a staff member of the Bureau of Prisons, I was able to read his "Rap Sheet" (Criminal History Record) and it confirmed everything he told me about his past record and life.
He and his partner did 25 years for the bit they were currently in for; and did ALL 25 years. The first 15 years at USP Atlanta, GA. The last 10 at USP McNeil Island, WA.
NOTE: By doing your entire sentence, the inmate leaves with No parole generally hanging over his/her head.
A week after being released, they went to Portland, Oregon and ROBBED a Bank, came out of the Bank, and then sat down on the curb BEHIND their get-a-away car and driver; and waited for the police to arrive.
They were arrested, tried and convicted, and sent back to McNeil, (as it was the closest Federal Facility at the time.
The joke floated by the other inmates when the two arrived back at the Island was "What happened, your get-away wheelchairs have blow outs?"
Pretty much, this man told me that he and his friend had just wanted to "come home", because no-one they knew on the outside was alive any more.
His view was that Society does play a part, however, becoming a criminal is based more on internal decisions of the individual.
He said to me, if not, how can you explain two people who live and grow up next door to each other; in the very same neighborhood, attend the same school, have the same friends, play the same sports, and go to all the same locations and doing other things together while growing up; can have one person become a criminal, and the other become a police officer or a Minister or Priest or Rabbi or businessman or banker or a teacher, and so forth. He told me he was referring to himself and a very close friend that he considered like a brother, who became an FBI Agent and who had very sad duty of arresting him the first time. He said that even though they went into different life careers, they still stayed friends and corresponded with each other and even sent Christmas cards and Birthday cards to each other each year.
Personal decisions do play a huge role as well.
He gave me a lot on insight into the workings of the inmate mind (his at least); after I told him I was working on my two Criminal Justice and Sociology Bachelor's Degrees.

One person's anecdote shouldn't be generalized as a truth.

While it may be interesting, the opinion of your convict "friend" can't be extrapolated to society at large. FWIW, someone who, for no other reason than because he wants to do so, chooses to become a criminal is mentally ill; the term sociopath comes to mind.

Two people who grew up together in virtually identical circumstances whose lives diverged drastically- one to a career criminal and one to law enforcement can occur for any number of reasons. Children's experiences in their homes vary greatly and there is a hell of a lot of parental abuse that significantly impacts children. A child may internalize abuse and appear to be outwardly "normal" but a ticking time bomb inside. No one knows what goes on inside another family's home unless they are there. So two outwardly stereotypical all American families living side by side can have offspring who are friends and do everything together but when at home, one child is physically, emotionally and/ or sexually abused while in the other home the child is nurtured and loved. Even in the same household one child can be abused while the others aren't. Out in the world, children are treated differently by authority figures and peers. People stereotype and label children all the time based on looks, clothes, religion, ethnicity, race, aptitude, athletic prowess etc. Children do it to each other and so do teachers and other adults. It impacts the way the child is treated and in how the child reacts to the world around her. Some kids are naturally extroverted and others are introverted; it isn't a choice any more than gender identity is a choice. But it affects how they are treated and that impacts how they will act and react as adults.

Dismissing the divergence in career paths as "choice" ignores all of the variables that affected that man's path. Worse, it creates a mindset that criminal behavior is always freely chosen and ignores the role society plays in creating and perpetuating an environment that at the very least forces some people to engage in criminal activity (stealing to survive, for example) or condemns them to a criminal class because of their identity or status (laws that criminalize homelessness for example). Don't forget that if the pseudo Christian religious bigots have their way, anyone who is in a same sex relationship or a relationship with a transgendered partner will be a criminal.

Nasty!

Protecting society and making enemies by being in enforcement and then being backstabbed by persons above that are supposed to help you. Not a good situation for optimal health and happiness.

Let's get Tammy

Jamie Lee's picture

First Tammy is accused of consorting with people who are a threat to the UK, now she's accused of assaulting another student. Which supposedly took place off campus. And if it took place off campus, why was it brought to the schools' attention? It wouldn't be a school problem but a matter for the police(?).

Lucas isn't the master mind he believes. His flapping his gums in a public area, where is could be, and was, overheard gloating about what he did now puts his butt in the ringer.

Tammy may now have a case of libel against Tom and Lucas because of what they did. Tom should have paid the fine and let it go. But no, he had to get payback for his decision to do what he was told to stop. Neither Tammy or Lucy asked him to continue harassing Lucy, it was Tom's choice.

Tammy has yet to learn to keep her fingers out of areas she's been told to leave alone. She's been dumped by the intelligence community and will play the part go going along with the decision. But she is going to dig into the who and why's it was done. And this could get her in bigger trouble than she realizes. Her, "I can't do nothing" excuse is going to land her behind bars if she isn't careful.

Others have feelings too.

Rehabilitation

A word easier said than done - especially as the first step is an un-coerced admission of guilt (particularly problematic in regimes which encourage suspects to admit guilt before or in lieu of a comprehensive impartial investigation), then to find out the motivation.

For example, in a domestic violence situation, if the abuser kills their partner, it could theoretically be murder or manslaughter depending on the circumstances. If a victim of many years abuse (emotional / financial as well as violence) flips and kills their abusive partner except as immediate self defence against their partner attempting to kill them, then technically they've committed murder.

In the ensuing trials, despite the crimes technically being the same, it's feasible the abuser has a significantly higher chance of committing further abuse (not necessarily murder!), while for the victim getting final revenge, with proper support their risk of reoffending is likely to be quite low (and in some cases, if the abuse was severe / persistent enough, the jury may deliberately decide to acquit, or if not, the judge set a lenient sentence).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!