Nora Midnight Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

Nora woke Christina up and got her ready for work. She also, got Ginger up and ready for school. Kelly had gotten up and fixed breakfast for everyone. Once everyone was ready to go. They left the house. Nora’s meeting with Ginger’s history teacher wasn’t till the afternoon.

They dropped Ginger off first at school. Then they took Christina by her place to grab what tools and supplies she needed for her new job.
Once Christina had what she needed. They drop her off at work

They had talked about what to do with Christina’s place. What Nora, Kelly and Christina had agreed was to turn her place into a work studio.
She could stay with Nora and help with the bills. Nora didn’t need finical help. Her retirement paid the bills and gave her spending money. Plus, she had investments that she received money from. Her house was already paid for.

Once Christina was at work and Ginger was in school. Nora went down to social services to meet with Ginger’s case worker. Since, Kelly was living at the house with her. The case worker wanted to meet her and do a background check on her.

Kelly didn’t mind. She had a clean police record and her credit was so-so right now after the divorce she went through. She was in the process of rebuilding it. After she and Nora met with Ginger’s caseworker.

They leave and stop for lunch at a nice German restaurant. Kelly knew that Nora loved German food.

“Did Ginger tell you why her teacher wanted to talk to you?” Kelly was enjoying a nice Schnitzel and apple strudel dish Nora had ordered for her.

Nora was enjoying a nice goulash dish. The two of them had ordered wine to go with their lunch.

“Ginger’s history teacher tends to tell his class only half the truth or let his beliefs cloud the subject matter. When Ginger corrects him. He makes her stay after to lecture her and some of the test she has been given, he nicked picks them apart.” Nora couldn’t wait to meet this teacher.

After they finish eating, Nora and Kelly do some shopping. While they are shopping, Nora spots a teenage girl that should be in school shoplifting. She had spotted the girl opening a package of socks and stuffing them into her purse. She continued to watch the girl as she stole some panties and a few other items.

Nora nudges Kelly and motions to the young girl, who couldn’t be no taller then 4’5”. They watch as she steals a few more items and once she was done. They follow her out of the store. Nora and Kelly follow her discretely while she pedals away on a beaten-up bicycle. The bicycle looked like it had been rescued from a junkyard.

They follow the girl to a nice house and tended manicure lawn. The place was extremely nice and well care fore.

“I wonder why she was stealing with a place as nice as this?” Kelly couldn’t figure it out.

They watch as the girl hides the bicycle. They watch as she makes sure the bicycle is hidden well. She walks inside the house through the back door.

“Kelly, stay here and be my lookout please.” Nora grabs her gun from it’s hiding spot and tuck it behind her back.

She sneaks up to the house. As she gets closer, she could already hear raised voices coming from inside.

Inside the House:
“You stupid, ignorant girl. What do you mean you didn’t make any money? You weren’t supposed to come home till you made $300 selling yourself. That’s all your good for. Your nothing but a stupid cow.” He back hands her hard across the mouth.

Nora watches as the girl is smacked across the mouth by an older tall white guy. He looked like he was in his late forties and was bald. He had tattoos showing on his shoulders and down his left arm. He had on a pair of faded blue jeans and was wearing a black t-shirt that was tight across his chest.

When he smacked the girl on her mouth. The girl was lifted off the floor and sent flying across the kitchen. She hit the back of her head on the door frame and was bleeding.

“Get up you, lazy cow.” The man was walking towards the girl laying slump against the door frame.

Nora couldn’t stand it anymore and busted through the back door. She punches the guy in his face.

“You like beating on a child. Let’s see how you like being beaten on by me.” Nora follows through with a kick to the guy chest, sending him flying backwards.

The guy was caught off guard by a Hispanic woman that had come through his back door. He picks himself up off the floor.

“Lady, I don’t know who you are, but you just made a big mistake.” He charges towards Nora.

Nora jumps up on the counter and kicks him in the face with her foot. The guy tries to block her kick but is struck directly in his face. He feels his nose break and blood seeps from his broken nose.

He reaches out and tries to grab Nora’s leg, but he misses. He manages to hit her in her left thigh. He tries to hit Nora again, but she had jumped down off the counter and landed on the other side of him.

As he goes to punch Nora. He feels his arm grabbed and twisted behind him. Then he feels another arm wrapped around his throat and squeezed.

Nora holds on tight as she cuts the guys air off. She had him by his one arm behind his back and her other arm wrapped around his neck, cutting off his air supply. She feels him slowly relaxing and finally, he passes out from lack of air.

She taps her ear piece to call Kelly.

Kelly hears her cellphone ringing. She looks at the caller Id and notices it was Nora.

“Are you okay?”

“Yay, I’m fine. I’m going to need you to call the police and have them come here. Also, tell the operator we need any ambulance as well.” Nora
was kneeling by the young girl checking her out.

She notices she had bruises on her body and her fingers were crooked. She checks her pulse and detected a slow pulse. She stands up and walks over to the guy she knocked out and tear his t-shirt. She finds a bowl and fill it with warm water. She walks back over to the girl and kneel by her side. She tends to her wound. She could tell that this wasn’t the first time he had done this to her. She spots another scar on her head.

Kelly had gotten out of the car. She came around to the back door where she saw Nora and the girl went. As she walks in, she spots Nora kneeling by the girl they had followed just inside the house. She was tending to a head wound on the girl's head.

When she kneels to see if she could help. She notices a pool of blood under the girl’s head.

“Is she going to be okay?” Kelly looks towards Nora.

Nora looks up at Kelly “I hope so, Kelly. She hit her head against the door frame pretty hard.”

They hear the sirens approaching their location. When the police show-up. Nora gives her account of events and why she had followed the girl. She tells them everything and shows her DSS badge.

Kelly ends up going with the girl. Nora calls her lawyer and sees what needs to be done to get temporary custody of the girl. Afterwards, she shows up at Ginger’s school to meet with her history teacher.

Ginger's High School:
Ginger had stayed and waited for Nora to show-up. Her teacher had been smug towards her today in class. Nora was escorted to Gingers class by one of the school security officers.

Nora knocks on the door frame before she walks into the classroom.

Mr. Talbot looks up form his grade book when he heard someone knock on the door frame. He notices a slender Hispanic woman standing in
the doorway. She had straight black hair that had been tied back in a ponytail. She had on an expensive short sleeve charcoal gray blouse that seemed to be custom fitted to her. It went with the black dress slacks she was wearing and the two inch black heels. The slacks looked to be custom made, just for her.

“Hi, I’m Nora Midnight. I’m Ginger’s foster mother.” She holds her hand out to him.

Mr. Talbot shakes Nora’s hand. “I’m Harry Talbot, Ginger’s history teacher. Please come in and have a seat.” Mr. Talbot shows Nora to one of the desk in front of his desk.

Ginger moves to sit next to Nora.

Mr. Talbot looks towards Ginger “I would like to talk with your foster mother in private.”

Ginger was about to stand up to step outside. When she is stopped by Nora placing her hand on her arm.

“Mr. Talbot, whatever you have to say to me about Ginger in private. Can be said to me in front of Ginger.” Nora wanted to hear both sides.

“Very well Miss. Midnight. Ginger is a very disrupted in class and tends to speak out while I am teaching class.”

“That’s because you give us the wrong information and say what is written is wrong. You also don’t tell us the whole truth, but what you believe is the truth.” Ginger was made when she heard what he was telling Nora.

Nora just places her hand on Ginger’s arm. She looked directly at Mr. Talbot.

“Do you mean just like she did just now?” Nora just smiles.

“Exactly, like that. She tends to speak out during my lectures.” Mr. Talbot looked smugly at Nora.

He was going to make sure Ginger was kicked out of his class. If he was lucky, maybe out of the school as well.

“I do agree she gets excited when she feels someone is doing her wrong, but is what she told me true about you? That you inject your own belief and leave out important information when you teach your lessons?” Nora was watching his facial expression.

“Well no, not exactly. I mean everything is up to interpretation. Some of the information in the book is out of date or goes against what the truth is.” Mr. Talbot could see that Miss. Midnight was very intelligent.

“Ginger, can I see your book please?” Nora looks towards Ginger.

“Yes ma’am.” Ginger hands her book to her.

Nora accepts the book and flips to the copyright and printing page. The current edition they were using in class was only two years behind.
She flips through the book and finds a question and answer section she knew the students did for homework.

“Can you answer this question for me?” Nora reads off the question and then looks towards Mr. Talbot.

Mr. Talbot tries to remember what that question was asking, but he couldn’t recall anything on it. He just watches Miss. Midnight.

“Let’s try an easier one that I know Ginger has just recently answered.” Nora goes to the page that she saw Ginger working on last night and ask the question.

Mr. Talbot couldn’t remember the question or answer it either. He just looks at Nora.

A smile appears on Nora’s face “maybe I should get permission to sit in on your class and check out how you teach, Mr. Talbot. Because I have asked you two questions from this book that you assigned, and you seemed to be unable to answer the question.”

Mr. Talbot couldn’t believe how she made him look like a fool. Now she was talking about coming into his class and seeing how he teaches.

“That won’t be necessary, Miss. Midnight. There’s no need for you to be bothered.”

“Oh, it’s no bother. I’ll speak with the Principal about coming and observing your class.” Nora stands up and hands Ginger her book back.

Mr. Talbot couldn’t believe this lady was going to come and observer him. He watches as Miss. Midnight and Ginger leaves his classroom. He saw the smirk on Ginger’s face.

Nora just smile as she heads down to the Principal office and arrange to come up and observe Mr. Talbot teach history. The Principal didn’t have a problem with her coming up and observing. He wishes more parents would take an interest in their kid’s educations.

Ginger couldn’t believe the way her mother handled Mr. Talbot. She did notice that Nora’s knuckles were red and puffy. She waits to ask her
mother what happened till they get out to the car.

Once they were in the car “mom, why are your knuckles red and puffy?”

“Because I had to hurt a man for hurting his daughter.” Nora starts the car up and heads towards the hospital where Kelly was with the girl.

Christina wasn’t due to get off work for another hour or so. She’ll go and pick her up after she checks on the girl and pick Kelly up as well. She was still waiting to hear back from her lawyer.

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another person saved by Nora,

That makes three so far just in this story, Christina, Ginger and the unknown girl in this chapter.

Nora is going to be rather busy looking after all three of them. I wonder if she will start having complications in her life because of the girl she saved here. We still don't know yet just how badly injured the girl was after the man (her father?) hit her.

Scraped knuckles will heal fairly easily, a banged up head is a much more serious matter.

Can't wait to see Nora taking

Can't wait to see Nora taking on this teacher in his own classroom, based on how and what he is teaching the students. Should most definitely be interesting.

Not good showing

Jamie Lee's picture

A Government teacher who cannot answer questions from the very book used in class proves that teacher hasn't read the book. Or much about the subject matter.

Nora was right in her wanting to sit in on Ginger's Government class, because if he is giving the wrong information then it could affect the students in future classes. Plus, it will give Nora ammunition to get him fired if need be.

Others have feelings too.

Well, with history and a few

Brooke Erickson's picture

Well, with history and a few other subjects just because something is the "current" textbook doesn't mean the info is accurate or complete.

That's mostly due to Texas's state board of textbooks (or whatever they call it). They are such a big customer that what they want in textbooks is pretty much what everybody else gets.

Since they are *very* partisan about several issue (history and evolution being a couple of biggies) a lot of textbooks are utterly wretched if not worthless because of that one state's "standards".

That said, the fact that he can't answer the questions and the way he glossed over *what* Ginger was saying and merely complained about the *fact* that she was speaking in opposition to him says he 's likely a lousy teacher.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks