Mole Hunt Chap. 5

Printer-friendly version

Tuesday January 9 0100Hrs The Diamond Emporium
Dakota looks over at Hatter as they sat in the back of the van. They had loaded up in a van that one of the guys that was going with them had stolen fifteen minutes ago. Dakota had noticed that Hatter had been kind of quiet and excited about this thief. She has never seen Hatter like this before.

She has seen her excited about shooting someone or kind of pouty. Sometimes, she becomes bitchy or childish for not getting her way.
However, she has never seen her this quiet or excited. The other two guys that were with them put her on edge. Hatter had said she didn’t know them. They must had joined after she was shipped to the United States. They were rough looking and look like they would rather kill you, then talk with you.

Everyone was quiet as they pulled up behind the diamond store. One of the guys in the front get out. He opens the sliding door to let Hatter and everyone else out from the back of the van. One of the guys knock on the backdoor. The door opens and when everyone walks in. All sorts of smoke and fireworks goes off. The smoke was so thick and bright flashes of fireworks were bursting all around them. They hear several thumps as bodies start dropping around them.

Dakota couldn’t see anything, but feel a needle hit her in the neck. She passes out and falls to the ground. The last thing she sees is a person dress like Hatter, except all black with a blow gun.

Hatter steps outside of the building with another person dress just like her, except all in black. The other person’s outfit was a little different then hers, but it was a Hatter outfit. She doesn’t say anything to the person, but just shakes the persons hand. A small black bag is slipped to her and afterwards the other Hatter takes off.

Hatter walks back inside the building and over to the safe that was still open. She slips the bag inside and covers it with a piece of cloth that matched the inside of the safe. She makes sure she can pull on the fishing line to remove the cloth covering the bag. She drops a card like hers on top of the cloth. She lays down on the floor near Dakota and pretends she is asleep. She doesn’t move till she hears one of the other people move.

When more than one person starts to wake-up. She waits till she hears Dakota wakes, before she moves. She pretends she is still affected by the drug used to knock them out.

“Who was that and how long were we out?” Dakota looks towards the guys that came with them.

One of the guy walks over to the safe. He looks inside and notices the playing card laying there. He picks it up and slams the safe door shut.

Hatter had moved over towards the safe and yanked hard to pull the cloth out. She yanked fast enough before the safe door closed with a thud. She grabs the cloth and stuff it up her sleeve.

“They stole the dam diamonds.” He walks over towards the inside man.

Dakota had seen what Hatter did but kept quiet as she stood near her. She checks her watch and notices they had been out for twenty minutes. The rest of the crew was shaking off the effects of the drug used on them.

Baptiste picks up the inside man by his shirt “who else did you tell about this job?”

“No one. He just appeared out of nowhere and forced me to do as he said.” Dean didn’t know who he was or how he knew about the diamonds.

“Then who was he?” Baptiste had the card he saw in his hand.

He looks over towards Hatter “do you know what this means?” He hands the card to her.

A smile appears on her white face. She knew who it was and why they had shown-up. She looks at the men.

“This card belongs to the Black Hatter. He showed up a week before you shipped me off to the States. He took several items I was after. We’re
all lucky he didn’t kill us. He normally, doesn’t leave witnesses to identify him.” Hatter knew it was a lie, but they didn’t know it was.

“Guys, I think we better leave, before the police show up.” Dakota didn’t know if they tripped an alarm or not.

Everyone heads outside to the van. They notice all four wheels were completely melted and the front windshield was busted. Hatter tries not to smirk. Her friend was up to his old tricks again.

“I know someone we can call that won’t ask any questions.” Dakota pulls her cellphone out and calls Terry.

Tuesday January 9 0200Hrs, Alexa garage:
Terry hears his cellphone ring he uses for the taxi cab. He looks at it and notices it was Dakota calling from her burn phone. He picks the cellphone up.

“What’s the address?” Terry listens while Dakota gives him a location.

Terry hangs up and heads down to the Black Knight. He drives out towards the address he was given and spots his friend and four others. He pulls up to them and unlock the doors for them to get in the cab. He snaps pictures of everyone he didn’t know with the hidden cameras in the cab.

“Where too?” Terry looks at the people in the back.

Luis gives Terry an address.

Terry inputs the address into the GPS and follows the directions to the address. It takes them thirty minutes to reach the area. Hatter and Dakota stays in the cab as they watch as the others get out of the cab. They were pissed because they didn’t score and the fact that their van had been damaged.

Baptiste stops and looks at Hatter and Dakota “aren’t you two coming?”

“Actually, we’re heading home. Is that a problem?” Dakota was watching Baptiste.

“Nope. Keep your cellphones nearby.” He turns around and walks off.

Once Terry was down the street. He darkens the windows on the cab and pulls into a dark alleyway. The dark street would conceal the cab while they talked.

“What the hell happened tonight Hatter and who is this Black Hatter?” Dakota was looking at Hatter for an answer.

Hatter just looks at her two teammates “I made arrangements with an old acquaintance of mine to rob the place before we got there. Then
mock attack us to make it look like we stumbled upon him robbing the place. During the confusion he slipped me the diamonds. I shot everyone, except you with my needler. BH shot you with his blowgun. I sent him a picture of you and asked him to be easy on you. Once everyone was out. I put the diamonds back in the safe and covered them up with this.” Hatter makes the cloth she had used to slip out of her sleeve.

“I used this cloth to conceal them in the safe and when one of the guys slammed the door on the safe shut, I yanked hard to remove it. So, when the owner comes in tomorrow, their diamonds will be in the safe.” A cheshire grin appears on her face.

“Okay, I can understand that, but who is the Black Hatter and how do you know him?” Dakota had to admit it was a good plan.

“The Black Hatter is a former associate I use to work with. He patented his look after me, till I told him I was the only Hatter. So, he went and
redid his look and made a black version of my look. He is as crazy and unpredictable as I am. He enjoys taking psychedelic mushroom. I tried them once and got sick.” Hatter hadn’t mind a few she had eaten, but there was one that made her sick. It was enough to turn her off from taking them.

“You could had told me your plan.” Dakota was a little pissed Hatter hadn’t included her in the plan.

“Why? You had no reason to know what I was doing. It was best if only I knew, so you could be safe. Most of the guys in the gang are afraid of
me. They know I will kill them in a heartbeat. You, they don’t know what to make of you yet. You need to do something to make them fear you.” Hatter had overheard a few of the guys talking about ambushing Dakota and using her.

“What have you heard?” Dakota was curious.

“Let’s just say, an opportunity is going to present itself to you. When it happens, don’t haste to kill the bastards. Because if you don’t, I will.” Hatter had a serious look on her face.

Terry looks at Dakota with concern on his face.

“Do they suspect anything Hatter?”

“No, but because of how Dakota looks and the fact they don’t know anything about her. They are going to make a move on her.” Hatter knew how these people thought.

“You better watch your back, Dakota.” Terry was concern for her.

“Don’t worry. If they try what Hatter was hinting at. I’ll make sure they have a free sex change.” Dakota was pissed that someone thought she was an easy target. She’ll show them how easy she is.

“How are the girls?” Hatter was curious about them.

“They are fine. Shigeko made a big meal for them and made sure they ate what they could. The girls are relaxing around her. Laila has a hard time reading, so Shigeko is spending extra time with her.” Terry had checked on them.

“That’s good.” Dakota sighs and rub her eyes. She was feeling tired.

“Ready for me to take you home?” Terry looks at Dakota and Hatter.

“Please.” Dakota was ready to crawl into her bed. It was three in the morning.

Terry takes them back to their safe house and then heads back to his place.

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Acting natural

Jamie Lee's picture

Hatter is right that Dakota didn't need to know about the plans she made. That way Dakota would act natural when the ploy occurred.

Besides getting the diamonds back into the safe, why the ploy? What does Hatter have in mind?

So those guys think Dakota will be easy pickings? That is an attitude they will wish they didn't have when she finishes with them.

Others have feelings too.