When among Dragons... Chapter 9 Compensation

Printer-friendly version

When among Dragons... Chapter 9 Compensation

by Machara and Chryos Stormwing

Special thanks to
my love Chryos who creates this with me,
Gabe as my editor and friend
as well as Sammi for ideas

Sitting up now, perched on top of his bed Garrus smiled at Drew, his head tilted slightly. Once Drew noticed Garrus, he lept up, dashing towards him until Garrus’ nose was pressed right up against his.

“Peek-a-boo.“

With the slightest hint of a kiss, Garrus slid past him towards the wafting fragrance of freshly baked waffles that he had picked up upon. Then Garrus paused for a moment until he turned towards Drew, smiling expectantly like it wouldn't be fun without him.

“You coming?“

He smiled, smirking.

“And what’s with the facepaint, anyway?“

He brushed the bit of ‘paint’ off of his own nose that had rubbed off when he had touched Drew.

Drew just stared back at him.

“I… I… can’t. I need to run. I don't know how to deal with…. all this!“

He flailed with his arms helplessly, chin quivering.

“I have to get out. And this…“ he pointed to his own face “… is the only thing I could think of to avoid getting into trouble…“

Garrus’ jaw dropped. Surprised to the point of fear almost, Garrus froze, watching as Drew’s emotions slowly unraveled before his eyes. Not sure what he was seeing … hearing even from Drew as he talked to him, Garrus decided to come back to him slowly.

“Maybe you're feeling more of the change than I am? I’m feeling almost normal right now… aside from those hunger pangs.“

Looking almost helpless now as he stood before Drew, he hesitated to lay his hands on his shoulder out of fear it might drive him away.

“… Let me be there for you. If you will let me.“

“Then just come with me. I just need to get out. Get …. things out of my system. I don't care if it's dangerous…“

Garrus was about to mount a protest but then he saw Drew’s desperate expression on his face. Growing silent he then nodded, grabbing one of his hands.

By being careful, they managed to sneak past their parents after Garrus had put on some clothes of his own. Since he was not a wussy girl he did not need makeup, Garrus thought. However, he was a wussy non-Canadian, so he required more warmth, so Garrus opted to wrap a big, wooly scarf around his neck and most of his face, hiding most of it. Apart from that, Garrus went with a hoodie just like Drew.

Once outside they smelled the fresh, cool air. For Garrus’ tastes, it was almost a bit too freezing but he put that thought away as he looked at Drew again, air condensing in front of their faces as he showed him a warm smile. Drew couldn’t see it but he could certainly feel the affectionate emotions like enjoyable tickling.

“No places with lizards lurking close by this time, please.“

Garrus joked with a grin.

“Nah, we won't give anything the time. Come…“

Drew just took off. At first, he was tempted to run to the park again, but as he remembered the previous time, he just ran along the sidewalks of the streets. At first, his tempo was moderate, but after a few minutes he picked up the speed. That seemed to suffice him for a while. They entered another park - Garrus noticed a sign depicting it as ‘Central Park’ - and this one was a bit more open and noticeably better cared for. Unexpectedly, there were quite a few people there. Some were just bystanders, but quite a few of them seemed to be running, having numbers fixated on their backs, and were apparently following a marked path.

Drew just followed them, looking out for Garrus more frequently to be sure that he was still with him.

He picked up the pace again, and Garrus followed him. Although it actually started to be exhausting, Garrus felt that he could still go faster, and that confused him since the half-siblings seemed to have already left all other runners behind who looked to have slowed down to a walking pace. Garrus also thought he knew his limits as a result of all the training he underwent for the Police. Garrus thought that he probably would need to reevaluate them. Their quick pace seemed to have been noticed as attested by the looks towards both of them.

Drew could hear Garrus’ noticeably heavier breathing under that scarf which he now probably wouldn't dare to take off with all the people around. Thinking about their having garnered unwanted attention, Garrus quickly amped up his panting, even more, to appear exhausted and signed Drew to follow his example.

After a few more minutes, Drew changed the direction at a turn to leave the marked road onto a smaller path that soon led back to a normal road onto a sidewalk.

Drew looked back and then slowed down to a walk.

“Thanks for coming with me. I know I'm stupid going out like this…“

Garrus took a few moments to actually respond.

“Phew… stupid… maybe. Sometimes you need to do stupid things. It clears your mind of all the not-so-stupid but dreadfully boring and dull things in the world. Not to forget those that keep bogging you down…

I'm with you on this… but …“

Garrus stepped towards him until he was just about the only one to actually see his face. Then he pulled down the scarf a bit to feel closer to each other.

“You're not going to ruin my chance at some of those waffles, are you?“

Garrus grinned, mischievously.

“Ok, ok, you got me there…“

Drew nudged against him and bumped his nose against Garrus’ own.

“I'd say 'last one home serves waffles' but I guess you don't know the area yet and we'd draw more attention.“

A little bit of Drew’s makeup remained on Garrus’ nose and a small speck of Drew’s 'normal' color could be seen as they parted again.

“Aww, you look cute with that dip on your nose.“

Drew reached out for it and attempted to wipe it off, just to make it even worse as his hand was covered with the stuff.

“Oh… sorry.“

Drew looked at his hand rather sheepishly.

Looking at Drew dreamily, entranced by his touches on his skin, Garrus ultimately wrapped his arms around Drew, holding him tight. Drew was enthralled by the deepness of the moment that had drawn him in, as much as the sheer force of his hug. Garrus was almost trembling while trying to take in the sensation of feeling him.

“Thank you.“

Garrus whispered and then, drawing back, he suddenly grinned.

“That was… wonderful.“ He paused, smirking. “And my head start!“

The moment he had said that last bit, Garrus sprinted past Drew towards the exit of the park from where they had come from, though on a less frequented path this time so people would not gauge his speed so easily.

Drew followed Garrus and tried to gain lost ground, but was astounded by his speed. He just couldn’t manage to catch up to him but for most of the way, he held the distance. However, on the last two streets Drew needed to slow down. A bit later he returned to the house.

In the hall, he found all three family members waiting for him; Garrus had already taken off the scarf and the top of his hoodie. Both of their mothers had their hands on their hips, looking upset.

“You should have known better Drew, you know you can't just go out like this! We were worried!“

Garrus flinched at Marian’s loud words and looked down to the floor in shame.

“And you Garrus…“ Hera followed up “… you should not have let he… him go! I thought you were the responsible one in the family. This was reckless!“

Garrus nodded in agreement at first.

“It was.“

But then he took a stance right between Drew and them.

“And it was necessary.“

He paused to explain.

“Mother. You yourself took this… spontaneous leap of faith of moving over here to Canada. Not that I am implying anything with that but it is just that. A leap of faith… something… reckless. You sometimes need that in your life. Don't you see?“

He turned to her girlfriend.

“Marian. I am … deeply moved that you were so worried, but I also have to defend Drew. It won't do to just coop us up in our rooms. For one thing, neither of us is underage anymore and second, would you really want us to go stir-crazy up there? If you intended any sort of punishment, let me have it, instead. Drew acted out of …“

He paused for a moment before continuing.

“… her almost instinctive needs. There’s no use in fussing over that. Please… let her arrive first before bombarding her with your worries, however well they may be intended.“

Garrus tried to convey an imposing sight, helped by a few years of police work. The change of his skin color should also help, he thought, even if his body was built more slender now.

At first, Drew looked at the ground as the conversation seemed distant to him. But then, as Garrus defended him, he felt … more aware. This feeling of determination, of righteousness, washed over him, and then pride crept up from his insides. That then all washed away when he heard the pronouns addressing him. The feelings dripped away and were replaced with confusion, then understanding. Drew didn’t know what to feel or think, leaving him somewhat dazed. He stepped up to Garrus and held his hand.

“Thank you, Garrus.“

Drew looked towards the two women.

“I'm sorry I just went out for a run… Garrus actually tried to keep me here… but then understood - quite well really - that I needed this.“

With a smile, he glanced towards Garrus, for a moment.

“I think he needed it too, actually. We've been indoors, almost in the same rooms, for weeks. And I was scared I might never be able to go out again, normally, without being… labeled. I just had to break that funk… and that’s just one aspect of my reasons.

I don't know how … deeply … dad’s story yesterday has affected you, I can only guess. Actually, I'd like to know and I’m here for you if you'd like to talk - I'm sure it needs some venting… I needed to vent, too, and the only thing to do that I could think of, was to run.“

Marian and Hera's cheeks had turned red, grasping each other's hands, having difficulty looking straight at them.

“I'm sorry, Drew… you are right. Maybe talking would help… when we're ready…“

Marian glanced at Hera, who just nodded slightly without much expression, so she decided to change the topic.

“Um… maybe you still want some of those waffles? They may not be as fresh now anymore but I kept them warm.“

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos