Standardized Deviation Ch. 3

Printer-friendly version

Here's part 3. I have read all of the comments and appreciate them very much. I think that I have a structuring problem to deal with that likely stems from my tendency to frame my narrative as if writing for film.

Bear with me, I'm trying to improve on delivery. Like I said in Ch. 1, I've never done this before but please keep the advise coming so that I can keep trying to improve my efforts.

This is a short chapter, but I didn't want to go any longer without updating. I promise that there is a plan in place for all of the floating mysteries, I'm not J.J. Abrams.

Ch.3

A chuckle rippled through the gaggle of what could only be the makings of a Rebel Alliance. Wrapped as I was in Miranda’s friendly grasp it was something of a task for me to maneuver my face around an elbow in search of eye contact with the famous Radical.

Not a terrorist, not a reactionary, a radical.

I always kind of liked that. Words are fun, they should be used in fun ways sometimes.

JassTannor was a symptom of the American dream. Or the plague upon it. I would say that both arguments have merit but then Jass might have me murdered for disloyalty or something.

“Well, Tee” Jass looked at some of the unfamiliar faces in the hall. “Real shit is about right.”

Another few chuckles met that statement as I squirmed out of Miranda’s grasp, my tail flailing. I swear there’s something I should do with it during physical altercations but unfortunately the local UFC gym doesn’t have a Jiu Jitsu guy who specializes in human-animal hybrid freak monsters.

“Who is Tee? Or Kay Tee?” I whispered to Miranda in what I thought were undertones.

“Codename, kid. Keep up dummy!” Gregg rolled his eyes at me while slithering through the crowd and out the door.

“He’s right.” Jass said calmly. “That is, of course, should you choose to be a part of this operation.”

“Are we in a fucking Tod Cruze movie?” I asked Miranda, again in undertones.

Face split by a smile I hadn’t seen in too long, she was about to answer when Peters materialized at my elbow. “These folks are here to help. They still get the news East of the Colorado, apparently.”
That was the final straw. Since when the hell had Peters ever made a political reference?

Setting myself firmly in front of the Oklahoma City Bombardier I locked on to the man’s eyes.

“You’re here about what happened.”

“We want justice. You aren’t the first of his victims.” Something was missing in person. On television or internet clips it was very easy to find Jass charming, he did have a non-threatening air about him.

But in person I found that there was nothing pleasant in the man’s eyes. I didn’t doubt he wanted people to pay for Kind’s crimes, but something told me that justice was far from first on his mind.

“Jass contacted me two weeks ago.” Miranda told me.

“Is that why you wouldn’t talk to me?”

Shrugging, she turned back to the crowd that had began to filter into the house. “I didn’t want to burden you with this stuff. Not until I knew you could handle it.”

My lips moved in an interesting way, something between a snarl and a smile that was new to my expressive repertoire. “I’m ready.”

Wilks slipped to stand beside the radical. “Right the fuck on, man. You look like a cat.”

“Hey buddy!” Why did I sing that?

“Seriously, I never knew you were into that kind of stuff.”

“Really?”

“Not a bad look for you though.”

“Yeah!?!” Why was I smiling so much. Stupid face.

Jass coughed lightly. “We will be convening in a few moments.”

Miranda nodded and escorted him down the hall, leaving me quite abruptly alone with Wilks. The stunted kicker looked concerned. Somehow it made me feel better that he was only like half a foot taller than me, and a ragged scruff of beard was particularly inviting on his tired features.

“How have you been holding up?”

“Honestly?” I shrugged “Not bad.”

“That’s good.” He nodded calmly. “So is it like, all of you?”

I did a little pirouette for my friend, struck by the urge to make an impression.

“Yeah... that looks like all of you.”

I winked at him. “Do you know what the fuck is going on?”

A distasteful look crossed his face. “My brother called. Said JassTannor wanted to get involved. I told Miranda, and now here we are.”

“She seems off.”

Wilks sighed heavily and stuffed his hands into his pockets. “What can I tell you, man. It’s been almost a month. She dealt with it pretty well, when they found you guys. She got to meet Star One and Cason Pointe, they broke the news about Mike.”

“And me taking a nap.” An outbreak of commotion carried down the halls from wherever the vanguard was preparing for the planning session, excited voices and crude language abounded.

“C’mon, man. Don’t say shit like that.” His hand was resting warmly on my shoulder. “She was so happy when she found out it was you. She’s really glad you made it.”

I was nodding meekly. “This is all just hitting me so fast.”

“Oh no doubt. I can’t even imagine man.”

Drifting away from his touch I made sure to keep my voice low this time as I tried to get to the bottom of the situation. “So what the fuck is Public Enemy Number One doing in Gregg’s house? How did that happen?”

Shrugging and sighing again Wilks shook his head. “I told you my brother called, and I put him in touch with Miranda. I don’t trust these guys, but they’re the real deal.”

“Look like a bunch of film school students.”

He chuckled. “Those guys saved you.”

I fixed him with a suspicious stare.

“No shit, who do you think told Miranda about the Shadow Men?”
“Oh fuck.” I breathed.

“Yeah.” He stated. “They were all over that shit from minute one. I think there’s something really big going on here.”

A thoughtful silence fell for a minute before Miranda’s authoritative voice called out “Hey plant heads! You coming?”

Wilks and I shared a look, years of bonding allowing for the transmission of complex ideas through no more than the briefest of facial gestures.

He laughed in response to my unsaid question, digging into his pockets.

“Of course, I brought the Greenie Meanie too.”

“Special occasions!” I said excitedly. Gregg didn’t partake anymore, eschewing the hassle with league drug testing policies so I’d been left bereft of herb since the escape from the hospital.

“Yeah, you haven’t had any in a while.” Wilks cautioned, packing a bowl. “This shit gonna make everyone look like they coming out of walls.”

“Don’t joke about that shit!” I reprimanded him, taking the apparatus and proffered lighter. A massive rip sent me into a coughing fit as the THC hit my ‘virgin’ lungs. “I have a fucking night light now.”

“Oh, you take it like a bitch! I thought you was a cat!” He was clutching his side, so forceful was his laughter.

“Fuck you, playa.” I said, taking another hit.

“Seriously, though. I bet that shit was terrifying.” He said, taking the equipment back and taking his own tokes. “Dudes coming out of walls and shit.”

“Yeah” I murmured, my head starting to float deliciously, “that’s just fucking weird right?”

Nodding serenely while he held in the smoke Wilks made a gesture that started us walking towards the activity deeper in the house.

“I mean, a bunch of Men in Black dudes is one thing. It’s the fact that they were all doing that shit at the same time that fucking terrifies me.”

A cloud of funky smoke plumed from Wilks’ exhalation. “Do you remember when the world was normal and shit?”
“Right!?!” I exclaimed. “I remember the first time I saw a Deviated person”

“Kind of puts everything in perspective, I think.” He mused.

“Who gives a fuck about monetary policy when people are being murdered?”

“Nah bro” Wilks said as we turned into the sitting room. “Fuck tomorrow if you can’t live today.”

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Off course and wandering

I get to some points and think I know the direction...Next chapter.

alissa

It does read like a script

blue12's picture

The thing is, there are no visuals to go with the dialog. I still think your ideas are interesting but need more exposition. Keep going, help us see what's in your head.

Use what comments, if any, that help. Besides, how many stories do you see posted by me? Nada, zero, zip zilch!!! Either way, I still want to see where this goes as I like the creative.

Anna G

Don't leave me hanging.