A Piece in the Game of Gods part 13

Printer-friendly version

I looked around the Heap, hardly able to believe that I was back here again so soon. Then again, this was the perfect place to practice my abilities and train, which was why I’d suggested it to Cassandra in the first place.

“This place is a dump,” Laura exclaimed as she looked around. “Literally…”

Lauren had come with Cassandra, saying that she was just there to watch. However, I noticed a bulge in the side of her purse and was pretty sure that she’d brought a gun. The real reason she’d come was that she didn’t trust me yet, and wanted to watch her friend’s back. I could certainly understand that, and even respect it.

“I haven’t been here since I was a kid,” Cassandra commented. Then she smirked and added, “Though my brother used to come here all the time to smoke weed with his buddies…”

“There are better places than this for that,” Lauren said with a look of disapproval.

Cassandra nodded at that, then looked at Matt. “It’s like a fucking class reunion around here. If Nadine shows up too, I’m shooting her in the head.”

“If that bitch shows up,” I responded with a scowl, “I’ll help you.”

Lauren gave me an odd look. “I seem to remember you and her being real close…”

I gave a bitter snort. “That was a long time ago...and well before she burned me to death.”

Lauren shuddered at that, probably imagining either how much that would hurt, or just how horrible a way to die it was. Whatever she was imagining, the real thing was even worse.

“Maybe we should get started,” Matt suggested. “I have to work a short shift this afternoon, so I’d like to get as much out of this while I can…”

“Good idea,” Cassandra said, giving him a disapproving look. Maybe it was because she was a champion and he was only a companion. Or maybe, it was just the fact that he was a nerd.

Cassandra shimmered and sparked, and a moment later, she was now dressed in the leather armor I’d seen her in before. She had the bow in her hand, which actually looked pretty wicked. Its style was a little more fantasy themed than what you’d usually find people using in the real world.

Following Cassandra’s example, I switched over to my own armor and summoned my staff. Admittedly, I didn’t look nearly as dangerous or impressive as my goth ally.

“You know,” Cassandra said, giving Teri a skeptical look. “I don’t know why you made her into your tank. No offense, but even with your boost, you’re still not tough enough to be a decent tank…”

“Hey,” Teri protested, flipping Cassandra off. “I’m a great companion…”

“Maybe for the Doctor,” Matt responded wryly. “As comedy relief.” Then he told Cassandra, “Jeri bound her by accident.”

I blushed a little in embarrassment. “I was trying to figure out my abilities…” Then I defended Teri by pointing out, “She really helped me out against that latex guy and his fetish brigade…”

Cassandra and Lauren both snickered at that. “Maybe,” Cassandra responded with a faint smirk. “But Shwartzman is the weakest champion…unless you tie him up. He gets some kind of weird bonus whenever he’s in bondage or something. Don’t ask.”

“I won’t,” I promised, shaking my head.

“Gary and Dave were pretty tough,” Cassandra said, skeptically glancing at Teri and Matt. Obviously, they didn’t match up to what she expected of a companion.

“Dave was Heather’s boyfriend,” Lauren offered with a pained expression. “And Gary was his best friend… They were…good guys.”

“They were meat heads,” Cassandra added with a snort. “But they were good in a fight.”

Matt just met her skeptical look without blinking. He might not have a lot of experience in real fights, but he knew how to play a stealthy type character, and more important, he was loyal. If I’d ever doubted that, one look at his loyalty bar would have fixed that.

“Well, let’s get this going then,” Cassandra announced, looking at me.

With that, Cassandra pulled back her bow and an arrow just appeared in her hand, already notched and ready to fire. I’d seen that kind of thing in video games, where the inconvenience of having to carry a ton of arrows was often ignored, but not in real life.

Cassandra fired her arrow at me, but she’d gone slow, giving me time to form a shield wall. Matt and Teri ran to opposite sides, obviously trying to catch Cassandra when she couldn’t focus on all three of us at once. However, she fired two arrows in rapid succession, one at the feet of each of them.

“If you’re going to fight, you two are going to need weapons,” Cassandra pointed out.

Lauren, who’d backed off to keep from getting hit, said, “Dave had this huge hammer…”

I remembered seeing the hammer that she’d been talking about. “The cleaner probably has it,” I said, thinking about how the Cleaner had returned Heather’s purse to me. “Unless Nadine or this Morgan guy looked his body first…”

“I wouldn’t put it past them,” Cassandra said.

“Especially Nadine,” Laura added with a clear note of anger. “That bitch once broke into my locker and stole everything I had in there, just to piss me off…”

“That sounds like Nadine,” I agreed.

“You’re right about us needing weapons,” Matt said thoughtfully. “Unfortunately, the only thing I have at home is a kitchen knife…”

Teri made a show of rolling her eyes in an exaggerated manner. “Why couldn’t you be like every other nerd, and have a collection of ninja swords and throwing stars?”

“Enough with the chit-chat,” I announced, trying to channel my old football coach. “We need to focus on why we’re here, and not waste this good practice time…”

“Ma’am, yes ma’am,” Teri responded sarcastically as she snapped to attention and gave me a salute.

After this, we actually went to work with some serious practice and training. Due to the drastically different nature of our abilities, it was difficult for Cassandra and I to really go against each other. She was a sniper who would keep back and shoot arrow after arrow at me, while I just threw up one shield after another. That didn’t really do either of us much good, though admittedly, I did get better at timing when to throw up my shields, so I could get the most out of them.

Matt and Teri took turns going after Cassandra and me, without much success. With my shields, neither of them could get near me. Cassandra didn’t have my defense, but she had a few tricks of her own, and was able to avoid them.

I watched in amusement as Matt activated his stealth ability, which worked something like turning him into a chameleon. His entire body blurred and blended into the environment so that it would have been easy to miss seeing him. Then he tried sneaking up on Cassandra, while Teri was charging straight at her.

“I don’t think so,” Cassandra announced, firing an arrow into the ground in front of Teri, where it exploded, knocking my companion back. An instant later, she snapped around and fired a second arrow into the ground, right in front of the stealthed Matt, knocking him back as well. “One of my gifts gives me really high awareness. I can see you coming a mile away…”

“That stinks,” Teri grumbled in annoyance. “I mean, you’ve got that bow, and I can’t even get near you…”

“That’s the point,” Cassandra pointed out.

“But why a bow?” Teri asked. “I mean, wouldn’t a gun be even cooler…”

“Certainly more modern,” Matt added, annoyed that Cassandra had seen through his special ability so easily.

Lauren laughed at that. “They do have a point.”

“One,” Cassandra said, holding up a single finger, specifically, her middle one. “I have a couple abilities that work with my bow. Two…” She held up a second finger, the middle finger of her other hand. “Guns aren’t allowed. Apparently, the gods think that having guns is too much like having extra abilities, so they’re banned…”

“Too bad,” I said with a shrug. “But I guess it makes sense. I mean, the gods want all the champions to rely on them for their powers…”

“Pretty much,” Cassandra agreed. “They’ve all got these enormous fucking egos…”

“Including your patron?” Lauren asked with a smirk.

“Especially her,” Cassandra responded with a smirk of her own. “Anyway, the rules are, absolutely no firearms.”

“What about crossbows?” Matt asked curiously.

“Oh, those are allowed,” Cassandra told him. “There’s one asshole who likes to use one…”

“Well, thanks for all the help,” I told Cassandra. “And the advice. Maelyne didn’t exactly give me the players guide or anything when she dumped me in this, so it really helps.”

“No problem,” Cassandra told me. “We are allies, after all.”

I nodded at that, fully aware of the fact that Lauren and Cassandra were both uncomfortable with me. It was no surprise since I looked like Heather, and was a constant reminder that their friend was not just dead…but truly gone.

“It’s been very interesting, learning how to use these new abilities,” Matt said almost apologetically. “I’d like to practice a little more on my own, to get a better idea…but I’m out of time. I have to get going if I want to get to work on time.”

“I am SO glad I don’t have a job,” Teri said.

“No,” Matt responded wryly. “You just use Mom and Dad’s credit cards... But one day, they are going to cut you off…”

Teri gave her best cute and innocent look, which was harder to pull off now that she’d had her growth spurt. “I’ll just have to make sure that day never comes…”

“What about you?” Cassandra asked me. “What are your plans for this afternoon?”

I hesitated a moment, then admitted, “I was going to go out looking for a new job and apartment… I kind of lost my own when this happened…” I gestured down at myself.

“But you’re staying with us,” Teri protested.

“Not for much longer,” I pointed out with a sigh. “Your parents only said I could stay for a few days, and your mom is already starting to hint about my leaving…”

“Yeah,” Matt agreed with a scowl. “Dad said something about that to me too…”

Teri looked annoyed at that, then looked to Cassandra and Lauren. “Then maybe Jeri can live with you guys… I mean, Heather was your roomie…”

Lauren and Cassandra immediately shared a look while I quickly said, “I don’t think that’s a good idea…”

“Heather…I mean, Jeri is right,” Cassandra responded.

Matt stared at me with an expression of sympathy, maybe even pity. “As far as everyone outside of us is concerned, Jeri is Heather. She has Heather’s body, which includes her fingerprints, DNA, and legal identity…” Then, he told me, “For all practical purposes, you ARE Heather…”

“But I’m not,” I reminded him, tapping my temple. “Not in here…”

“Maybe not,” Matt said. “But we’re the only ones who know that…”

“He’s right,” Lauren grudgingly admitted, giving me a look of sympathy too. “From what you’ve told us, your old life is totally gone, and now you’re stuck with Heather’s…”

I let out a sigh and shook my head, then ended up brushing the strands of hair out of my face. “Trust me, I’ve already thought about that. Why do you think I tried to find where she lived, and what she did for a living? I can’t use my own birth certificate, diploma, or driver’s license. I HAVE to use hers… But I don’t want to take over her entire life. It’s… It feels kind of creepy, like I’m a psycho stalker or something…”

“Well, I guess you can take over her identity without taking over her entire life,” Cassandra said, almost grudgingly.

“Heather was our friend,” Lauren told Cassandra, “and even if she’s gone, we still owe it to her to help. I mean, do you want to let Heather’s body end up homeless?”

Cassandra winced at that. “Nice way to turn up the guilt. Are you a Jewish grandmother or something?”

“Heather’s share of the rent is paid up for the next two months,” Lauren continued, this time talking more to me. “And all her clothes are in her room. I guess it makes sense for you to come live there…at least until you figure things out a bit more.”

I could hardly believe what we were all discussing. Sure, it made a lot of sense, but there would definitely be problems with me moving into their house.

“That would be really weird,” I pointed out. “For all of us.”

“My whole life has gotten pretty fucking weird lately,” Cassandra said with a wry smile. “How is this any different?”

“And those living arrangements would make it easier for you two to work together,” Matt pointed out, looking between me and Cassandra. However, he let out a sigh and admitted, “But it will make it more difficult to work with us…”

“You know,” I said, gesturing around the Heap. “I came out here to get a little practice in, not to find a new place to sleep…”

“Well, it looks like you got both,” Cassandra told me with a smirk. “And by the way, Heather did all the cooking and cleaning at the house, so you’ll need to take care of that now…”

I just gave Cassandra a skeptical look. “Now, why do I doubt that…?”

up
309 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

New Home

Enemyoffun's picture

I'm not sure I'd be happy taking over someone's life like that either. I hope Jeri is about to find a happy medium in all of this eventually.

Cooking and cleaning,

Nice try. But heather has got to earn money some how. OK no guns I guess Nukes aren't allowed either

Taking over

I’m not sure I would be comfortable taking over Heathers life either but she has no choice. I wonder whether Heather worked, I think living with her roomies will help her with her acceptance

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Heater now has a

Samantha Heart's picture

Place to live, and some better idea of what what's going on with the game.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Re: "For a teen to not be on social media is almost unnatural"

In a Chapter 12 comment Kimmie pointed out "For a teen to not be on social media is almost unnatural."

I suspect we can blame the "Cleaner" for this "Galactic Anomaly". I noted that in Chapter 4, the status description of Heather's "Armor" included: "-Prevents the wearer from being photographed or recorded by non-magical means"

The "Cleaner" probably attempts to keep the existance of "champions & companions" secret from humanity.

This may also be the reason the "contests" have been moved into this area AND WHY "NEW" CHAMPIONS WERE SELECTED"! (More on this later Eric...)

Why Heather Died... Part II

No one wanted to "way in" on my questions (See Chapter 12 Comment "Why Heather Died... Part I), so I will attempt to answer my own questions:

(a) What did OldHeather and companions fail to do before the fight?

(1) OldHeather failed to "choose wisely" she agreed to become the champion of a BAD PATRON ("...Tom, I thought Santino was a bad Don...")!

(2) OldHeather's companions failed to "choose wisely" they agreed to become Loyal to a bad champion!

(3) OldHeather failed to study and understand the "Advantages & Disadvantages" of her Player Character AND the "Advantages & Disadvantages" of her companions!

(4) Her companions failed to "choose wisely" their weapons! A Warhammer [actually, it was more likely a Maul, but I'm getting too technical here] is a poor weapons choice if your primary duty is to lay back and shield your champion. Ninjas use a variety of weapons - a KATANA is not a typical ninja weapon (Ninjas would use whatever weapons were available, but there is a special "Ninja Sword [a straight sword shorter than a katana]") - If you are going to be a ninja, your life depends upon knowing the weapons of your trade and BECOMMING an expert in the use of your weapons!

[FOOTNOTE (1): I said "Weapons" NOT "weapon"]

[FOOTNOTE (2): In Chapter 2, it says: "...a black clad ninja appeared right behind Robe, trying to stab him from behind with a katana..." - a katana is NOT a stabbing weapon]

(5) OldHeather and companions failed to develop EFFECTIVE tactics for their player characters (tactics designed for the player advantages & disadvantages AND weapons/spells availability)!

(6) They failed to develop strategies to deal with their enemies ( like a unauthorized fight with Nadine and Robe)!

(7) MOST IMPORTANTLY, they failed to adequately TRAIN!

(To be continued in Part III...)

Better Weapons Part 1

In Chapter 13, Cassandra said "If you're going to fight, you two are going to need weapons".

So, what weapons should Matt and Terri use???

I'm wondering if the Patrons provide weapons for their Champions & companions or do the cheap B*******s leave them to their own devices???

Weapons?

They both need a medium long blade, something on the order of what would be considered a single hand sword. For Matt? He needs a dagger, and a lot of stuff he can throw... everything from 'chaff' to actual throwing knives. One or both of them should have a small crossbow. They need to train every day!

Why Heather Died ...Part 3

(b) What did OldHeather and companions do wrong during their last fight?

(1) When NewHeather saw Nadine & Robe at the beginning of the contest, she attempted to avoid combat by moving in the opposite direction. The first mistake OldHeather made during the unofficial fight was engaging in combat with Nadine and Robe instead of attempting to flee!

(2) When Nadine was distracted by Jerry, Ninja tried to stab the strongest opponent (Robe) from behind. There are three (3) errors here!

First, Ninja attempted to kill the strongest opponent INSTEAD of the weaker opponent???

Secondly, Ninja tried to use a katana as a stabbing weapon???

Thirdly, he put himself at (unnecessary) risk (throwing away the advantages of a ninja) by incorrectly using a close combat (mele) weapon instead of using Shurikens, a Kunai (which can be used as a throwing knife OR a STABING weapon), a blowgun, or ninja firearms (illegal in official contests).

(3) Warhammer attempted to use an inferior secondary offensive weapon when his expected role was to lay back and defend his champion???

[FOOTNOTE 1: Most people mistakenly think of a Warhammer as the ridiculous Thor's Hammer pictured in comic books. A human couldn't even use Thor's Hammer as a mele weapon. A Warhammer is basically a regular hammer (you would find in a tool kit) with a very loooooong handle. A Warhammer causes internal injuries when used against a knight in plate armor. It was used in the late medieval era primarily by archers as a secondary weapon against dismounted knights or their horses. Dismounted Knights would sometimes use a Warhammer in castle or city seige assaults]

(4) OldHeather yelled at Warhammer "Get back here and protect me"??? BRILLANT! Stop your companion from using an offensive weapon "offensively", keep him from moving around, and putting him in a fixed position so that Nadine can get an easy killing shot!!!

(5) OldHeather apparently never used her ability to shield her companions???

(6) OldHeather panicked twice during the fight!

(7) when the fight was obviously lost, OldHeather didn't make an attempt to flee???

(To be continued in Part 4)

Why Heather Died...Part 4

(c) What did Maelyne do wrong before Jerry Died?

Before I can explain what Maelyne did wrong, I need to explain what she really is. The Patrons are NOT Gods. They are EVIL FALSE GODS - Alien parasites that enslave humans. The Champions are gladiator-slaves in the service of their Patrons. When a new Champion or companion is recruited, they feel a rush. Read carefully, the descriptions of what Jerry, Matt, and Terri felt when they "accepted". Does it remind you of anything? How about a drug induced high?

What about the "gifts" (as the Patrons call them)? SADISM? MASOCHISM? SOUL-TAKING? LOYALTY? Stop for a minute and consider what the Patrons consider LOYALTY. If you don't know what LOTALTY means, ask Donald Trump. Maelyne's "gift of LOYALTY" to Heather is the ability to bind another human to Heather. Heather's companions are COMPELLED to risk (give freely) their lives to save Heather. Read carefully how Matt described his "loyalty" to NewHeather in the Chapter above.

One of NewHeather's new skills is FLIRTING - RANK 5!!! Can you think of a reason a Champion's highest skill is FLIRTING? When Heather meets Robe, should she try purring "Can I feel your muscles you handsome hunk?" When she meets the Creep, should she try smacking her lips? "Which came first" [bettcha thought I was going to say the chicken or the egg - NOT!]
"Which came first the companion or the boyfriend"?

Heather needs the skill of FLIRTING to acquire a "new meat shield [apologies to Snow]" when she loses another "meat shield" - I mean companion.

Maelyne's basic error is that she created a "player character" template for her Champion that is badly flawed. Too much of the allocatable resources are used to provide "loyal meat shields" instead of useful combat ability. The result is a "player character" that is very difficult to "play" successfully. It requires a careful player who understands the need to "nurture [grow the abilities of]" the "meat shields", protect her "meat shields", and avoid (if possible) combat with superior combat power [in other words, effectively use "ninja tactics" rather that "direct combat" when possible]. Maelyne should have designed an easier to play "player character template" or HAVE BEEN REALLY GOOD at selecting new champions.

Maelyne should have made the effort of carefully monitoring her champion's opposition. She should have been aware of the "soul killer" ability of Robe AND found a way to warn her Champion to avoid confrontation with Robe. If she had done the "smart move", OldHeather and Jerry would still be alive!

[FOOTNOTE 1: The term "meat shield" comes from another BCTS serial - "Room In Hell". Snow is the nickname of the hero in "Room In Hell" Snow used the term "meat shield"]

[FOOTNOTE 2: Eric, does this answer your question of what happened to the "former Champions" when the contest location was moved? I suspect the location is moved when the string of missing people becomes large enough to attract too much attention.

New question for Eric or Morpheus: Why did the Patrons prefer new Champions within a very narrow age range?]

[FOOTNOTE 3: The above comments are MY interpretation of Morpheus' story. Although my comments are highly critical of the actions of some of the characters in this story, my comments should NOT be taken as a criticism of his story. I am enjoying the story and am looking forward to the next chapter. I liked STARGATE! Just because I think some of his characters are evil, doesn't mean I don't like the story!]

Point on "Loyal Meat Shields"

(This could be a lot shorter, but I've spent two or three hours on it, and hate to waste it...)

I'd agree that Maelyne didn't set herself up well for the game, though there's some indication that a god's champion needs to have powers related to the god's point of emphasis (the "god of" factor): if she'd originally tried to empower and recruit the kind of character Jerry liked to play, she might only have had, say, half as many points to work with.

Of course, if she had the opportunity to coach previous-Heather into using better strategy for her character and didn't do so, that's Maelyne's fault. We don't know how much coaching the rules allowed before the game started; we do know that they can't do it now.

(We don't know what Maelyne saw in previous-Heather to choose her in the first place, assuming she had options at all; for all we know, she didn't have the whole population of volunteers to choose from and started off at a disadvantage from the raw-materials standpoint, though you'd think, if the whole idea is to at least make this look like a level playing field, that wasn't the case.)

But getting to my point, another alternative to Josette's scenario -- and very possibly the one that Maelyne had in mind, given the "survival of the fittest" element of the game and the lack of in-game coaching -- was to set up her rules to encourage her champion to run through companions by getting them killed off until the optimal ones surfaced.

It depends, I suppose, on how long the game runs: apparently that's long enough to allow the champions to be killed three times without much penalty, in a game where you don't have to die to lose a round. Maybe the best Maelyne could do was to keep Heather (and now Jeri) choosing companions, expendable from a game standpoint, until they get it right. And if Jeri didn't know the rules very well, as turned out to be the case, even more so. As Jeri told us, she'd have never made Teri the brick if Jeri had known what her invitation meant, since Teri had so little physical strength to begin with, especially since Jeri had forgotten Teri's martial arts experience. And even there, it might have been better to put that to use in the Ninja slot.

Of course, loyalty here is a one-way street; the last thing you want are companions that you care about personally. Original-Heather may have known that; her companions were friends or at least acquaintances, but quite possibly not people she couldn't stand to lose. (Thanks to the Flirt rating and the game mechanics, Maelyne's champion can pretty much get whoever she wants, at least from the opposite sex, and get total loyalty to the death. I wonder if Heather was/is able to project their ratings in advance. For that matter, I wonder whether original-Heather had inherent points to be added to her goddess-given abilities as Teri did with the companion position, and if so, how well Maelyne could project them before choosing her. (If so, apparently they'd have been related to the soul; at least, Jeri doesn't think her own qualities are reflected.)

As for the patrons not being gods, no, they're not supreme beings. But they're superior to humans, which makes them gods to us for all practical purposes. Not sure that the "god of" qualities have any meaning for humans, except to justify the game; doesn't sound as though a civilian could propitiate these folks, even if they made their existence known, or what good it would do one who did. Humans are a means to an end for them; good and evil have no meaning to them in this context. They need humans for their games to keep from destroying each other. They could probably liquidate us all if they had the inclination, but we're no threat to them and they've found a use for us. Yes, they've chosen and enslaved our gladiators -- albeit from a group of volunteers, after making them stronger. And your point is?

Eric

(Your question on the age range: I'd assume that they're trying to keep the playing field more level by minimizing some of the possible differences, life experience clearly being one of them. Would they rather have their contestants on the naive side? Quite possibly. But age isn't that good a control for that -- teenage gang members probably will find this easier to figure out than computer gamers, though they may have more trouble with status screens and optimizing experience points. We don't know enough about Jeri's opponents to say whether that's a concern here. Also, working from this age group, they can probably easily exclude potential contestants with children, who'd be harder to make disappear. Whether they care about dependents or not is a separate issue.)

lucky

It sounds kinda cold but Jeri's lucky Heather's boyfriend DIDN'T survive.
Now THAT would be uncomfortable.