A Piece in the Game of Gods part 20

Printer-friendly version

I was asleep. I understood this fact the moment I realized that Maelyne was sitting across from me, in what looked to be a large and comfortable chair. The realization that I was dreaming seemed to bring everything a new clarity and focus.

Maelyne smiled faintly as she said, “I took the liberty of choosing the setting of our meeting this time.”

The setting seemed to be some kind of comfortable den or living room, with book shelves, a fireplace, and a small table on the side. There were also two chairs that were facing each other, and Maelyne and I occupied those.

As I looked around, I noted that everything was built to Maelyne’s scale, which made me feel even smaller than I did when it was just the two of us. The only exception seemed to be my own chair, which was built to a normal human size, though it was on a bit of a platform to lift me up closer to her range.

“Would you care for a cup of tea?” Maelyne asked me politely.

I was a little startled by the question, because that certainly wasn’t what I would have expected from a goddess. Still, I responded, “Yes, please.”

I wasn’t really a tea drinker. Nothing against the stuff, but it just wasn’t my thing. Still, it was a good idea to be polite to a goddess, and to accept a drink when my host offered it.

Maelyne poured two cups of tea, one of the cups being her size and one being mine. Then she handed me the smaller one, which I took a careful sip from. I didn’t usually like tea, but this stuff was pretty good. Maybe that was because it was made by a goddess, or maybe it was because this was only a dream.

“I am quite pleased by your performance in this last contest,” Maelyne told me with a smile. “Because of your actions, I was able to recover a part of the power and status that had been forfeit from a previous loss.”

“I…I didn’t to much against that dragon,” I protested in surprise. “Other people did a lot more.”

“But you contributed against the dragon,” Maelyne told me. “And against the other challenges. But even more importantly, you protected your people, those who are most loyal to you.”

“Of course I did,” I responded in surprise. “What’s the point of having these powers if I don’t protect my people?”

Maelyne smiled at that and her eyes seemed to gleam more brightly. “Precisely. I just wish your predecessor had understood that.” Her smile turned to a look of sadness. “I fear that I made a mistake in choosing Heather as my champion.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, taking a sip of my tea.

Maelyne was silent for several seconds before answering. “Heather didn’t understand the value of loyalty the way I thought she did. She didn’t truly understand that loyalty must go both ways, or that she was not the only one in need of protection.” There was a pained look on her face. “If it had been within my power to save her, I would have done so in an instant. But knowing what I do now, I would not have chosen her at the start. She was not well-suited to the game, so this was not fair to either of us.”

In spite of the fact that I’d never known Heather, I still felt like I had to defend her. “These aren’t the easiest abilities to work with. I mean, she didn’t have any offensive powers at all, and when you’re dealing with chicks who can throw fire and crap, there wasn’t a lot she could do.”

“Those abilities are a reflection of my own,” Maelyne said with a hint of reproach, though she didn’t really seem to be offended. “They are a sliver of my own power.”

With a gulp of nervousness, I quickly said, “No offense, but… Well, that’s the problem. You can’t win fights with only defense…”

Of course, I’d played enough games to know that defensive and support class mages had other ways of contributing. In my case, I had two companions that were probably supposed to dish out all my damage for me. Matt and Teri were supposed to be my offensive power.

Maelyne took a dip of her tea, watching me as she did so. Finally, she said, “The abilities that a champion is given, depends on both the powers of the patron, and the inclinations of the champion. A wise patron will choose a champion with compatible inclinations, though sometimes the match isn’t as good as we expect.” She frowned at this, and I could tell she was thinking about Heather.

I took a sip of my tea while considering this, noticing that I still had a feminine girl’s hand. Glancing down at myself, I saw that I was definitely still a girl. But since this was just a dream, shouldn’t I have been back in my old body?

“Champions are given freedom to influence, and in some ways, direct their own development,” Maelyne continued, pausing to take another sip of tea. “If I had initially chosen you as my champion, you would have put your extra attribute points into strength, endurance, and health, rather than into charisma and magic. You would have chosen to compete more directly than Heather, and your abilities would have reflected this. Now, you have abilities that may not reflect your preferred method of fighting, but you will have to use what you have. I fear that in this game, you cannot simply respec your character.”

“I kind of figured that much,” I admitted with a wince. “I’m sorry about complaining and all. It’s just a little frustrating since I’m used to getting a little more physical.”

“Quite understandable,” Maelyne responded with a faint look of amusement. “You came into this late, and with less input than any other champion. I am pleased, and even impressed, that you have done as well as you have. After this last competition, I believe that you would have made a fine champion if I had chosen you to start with.”

“Um…thank you,” I responded, not sure what else to say.

“I can understand your concerns,” Maelyne told me with a serious expression. “Some abilities require specific prerequisites, such as certain attribute levels, before you can even receive them. After your performance in this competition, you have earned a new ability. Following the path that Heather began, I was going to give you ‘summon companion,’ which would allow you to transport a companion to your side. But if you would prefer, I can give you an offensive ability instead.”

That immediately caught my attention because I needed some offensive power. I needed a way to get in and actually fight. However, I couldn’t help but thinking about the battle with the dragon, and how Teri had been injured because I was too far away to protect her. I also remembered what had happened with Axe Guy, when I’d been separated from the others, and had been forced to deal with him on my own.

“An offensive power,” I mused aloud, “or one that lets me protect my companions better…and call them as reinforcements.”

I let out a long sigh at that painful decision, though Maelyne remained silent. She merely took a sip of her tea and continued to watch me.

After a minute, I reluctantly said, “I’ll take the summon companion… If it can help me get my friends out of trouble…”

Maelyne smiled faintly, seeming pleased by the decision. “Very well,” she said. “Your new ability will be ‘summon companion.’ I would give you both, were it allowed, but it isn’t. As it is, I am bending the rules by giving you this choice now.”

“I appreciate it,” I told her honestly. It was nice to feel like I had at least a little say so in all of this.

“Our time here is quickly coming to an end,” Maelyne told me. “And there are things you must know. I have enemies, ones who are more ambitious than I previously suspected.”

The fact that she had enemies wasn’t a surprise at all. These gods played a pretty cutthroat game and didn’t seem to have any problems with using humans as the game pieces, or our world as their board. I could only imagine about the rivalries and grudges that made this game necessary.

“I hold a position of strategic importance,” Maelyne explained. “And I protect another in a similar strategic position. Because of this, I stand as an obstacle to their ambitions, so they will do anything to remove me, which means, they will…and have…targeted my champion.”

“Nadine,” I said, feeling a shiver run down my spine. “And Robe…Mason.”

“Indeed,” Maelyne agreed. “Their patrons are among those arrayed against me. “I must apologize that our conflict resulted in your death, and that I had to ask you to stand against them as my champion. You are in even greater danger than most champions because of this.”

“Nadine is a psycho bitch,” I said with an angrily scowl. “It’s not your fault she killed me.”

Maelyne nodded faintly at that. “Nevertheless, you are doing me a great service, at great personal risk, so you have my gratitude. If I could protect you from these risks, or properly reward you for your service, I would do so.”

“Um…thank you,” I said a little awkwardly. This conversation was getting into weird territory, but then again, everything had been pretty damn weird since the night Nadine had killed me. “I guess you can’t change the rules mid-game. All you can do is play the best you can.”

“Correct,” Maelyne responded with a faint smile. “Be careful. Our enemies will come after you again, and you must be prepared.”

Suddenly, Maelyne looked around and scowled. This was just like the last time we’d talked, so I could only guess that we were being watched now.

“Remember what I told you, my champion” Maelyne said in a more formal tone than what she’d been using. “And know that you are capable of more than you realize.”

With those words, my dream ended and I woke up in my new bedroom. I looked at the clock, muttered a brief profanity, then curled up to try getting back to sleep.

up
329 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Admitted it

It was nice of maelyn to admit she goofed before.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

True

Unlike other religions who defend their god every even when they screw up royally or are cruel ‘well he is god after all’.

Still, Jeri is now in the lemonade business but the opposition is planning to burn the stand down asap.

It is a pity she has to live under so much stress so soon after such a shocking change.

It is clear now she will have to keep a low profile out and about in her normal life, especially not letting Nadine find out where she lives.

btw, so what was that gold ball for? This additional ability?

Looks like gods are

Samantha Heart's picture

Not infouable, as it seams otherwise Heather would not have been chosen in the first place. However as it is the game must continue as it is but Heather''s patron told her she is more then she realizes she is capable of. The new Heather/Jerry understand's the Loyalty to & of her companions & her alies. Now we KNOW Nadine has to be taken out

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Actually

Summon companion is pretty good offensively speaking Stealth may have stated an arms race with those pellet guns, they can be a lot mor powerful and deadly, especially if the pellets are poison darts.

Practice!

Heather and her companions better practice that "Summon Companion" ability. Otherwise, you get this scene: Heather: Cast Summon Companion. Companion: "Huh? What?". Monster: "Gulp! Tasty!"

“And know that you are capable of more than you realize.”

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Makes me wonder if Jeri didn't get more than summon companion, or if there are talents that haven't been noticed. Maybe something on a tab not fully investigated, or it could be something like the flirting that led to Axe Guy's death for that contest.

I'm beginning to like Maelyne.

WillowD's picture

I wasn't expecting to. I like the way we are actually being given a glimpse of the turmoil going on between the gods.

A mature perspective

Recognizing need vs want.

I doubt Heather had that and that cost her.

Support people are always underrated, such is the plight of women in the pre-industrial age, leading to us being underrated.

It is easier to write a tale of an offensive oriented hero getting progressively stronger and not as much for a defensively oriented ones.

It is this class which allow the offense oriented ones perform at their best but they never get the glory.

Excellent

Then again, excellent is what I've come to expect from Morpheus. Hopefully Jeri will keep practicing. Though as I said before, there is one thing that is bothering me, other than that gold sphere that didn't get mentioned in this arc, that is what is Jeri doing to make sure she has food in the 'real world'TM? I hope we get to see that soon, and that whatever it is it doesn't take too much time away from what she needs to do to advance in the game. Because, she just became part of a very, very deadly game! Even more so than she originally realized.

Adaptability and Training

I think Jeri needs to start exploring the limits of her power. Generating shield walls . . . Hmmmmm.

1. Can she create them wherever she wants?
2. Can she make them in the vertical plane? Horizontal? Diagonal?
3. After creating one can she move it?
4. How thick is the shield? I get that it's hard, but is it a micron thick? Or an Inch thick?
5. Can she create more than one at a time?

- If she can summon a wall anywhere, why not in the body of an enemy? Cut an enemy in two.
- If she can summon a horizontal wall, it could be a bridge to walk over traps or get over a pit.
- If she can move one and create a horizontal shield they could stand on it and float down a hall. Or in affect, fly.
-- Depending on how fast she can move it, the shield could chop through stuff like a blade.
- If it's thin she could set a shield in someones path and use the edge as a weapon.
- If she can create more than one, she can trap an opponent. Crush them between shields. Or do a number of evil things . . .

There are a lot of possibilities if she experiments and uses her imagination.

Cheers
Zapper

Some of these ideas are world

Some of these ideas are world-breaking, like forming a shield inside another person. Yeah, it's a nice idea, but it's simply too powerful; if you introduce in in-world, then you either get an unstoppably-powerful character, or you get an uninteresting arms race where everybody is looking for the next subtle insta-kill technique and a defense for the known ones.

It's fairly common to see these things in fantasy literature. Consider the Wheel of Time. In book 1, Moiraine could barely handle with a fist of trollocs and a single fade. By the end of the series, much weaker channelers than Moiraine handled much larger threats without issue. All throughout, I'm thinking, why can't you just make a "wire" of air and sweep it over the enemy and cut them all in half? The answer is not that the characters or the author didn't think of it; it's that it would lead to poor story telling.

Gateways are another, and a place where Brandon Sanderson messed up in completing the series. From book 5, when Aviendha rediscovered gateways, I'm thinking about the possibilities. An infinitely thin edge, which Asmodean taught Rand to use to devastating effect, but gateways are expensive! Moving them through enemy troops is an inefficient attack. What if we simply open one in space and suck enemies in? Or open one at the Challenger Deep and blast them with a meters-wide jet of high-pressure water? Sanderson does this with a character who is Talented with gateways who opens one inside a volcano and floods the enemy forces in a lava flow. It's supposed to be a magnificent finish to a monumental battle (the Last Battle), but it comes across as a cop-out.

Such ideas are fun to ponder, but they should not enter stories.

Just keeps getting better and better

Every episode brings us deeper into your world. Can’t wait to see how you finish tho (but not TO soon) thank you for sharing

Who gets the Credit for Killing the Dragon?

THIS COMMENT IS MY OPINION and does not represent the view of Morpheus or the Arbiters!

********************

In Chapter 20, Jerry/Jeri said "I...I didn't to [sic] much against that dragon, Other people did a lot more."

Jerry/Jeri was wrong!

I give Jerry/Jeri 45% of the Credit

I give Cassandra an equal 45% of the Credit

I give Don, 5% of the Credit

I give Magical Girl, "Bored Girl", Greatsword, Matt, & Terri equal shares of the remaining 5% of the Credit

I give Ash (aka "Samurai Wannabe #2") no Credit for killing the Dragon!

I give Robe & Nadine no credit for killing the Dragon!

In Chapter 16, the Coordinator said "... Your performance will be judged on numerous factors, including the threats you overcome and how you contribute to your team. In addition, there are three mid-level opponents and one high-level one, which will be worth greater rewards and considerations."

In Chapter 20, Maelyne said: "I am quite pleased by your performance in this last contest, Because of your actions, I was able to recover a part of the power and status that has been forfeit from a previous loss."

My analysis is based upon the above two (2) quotes, my knowledge of D&D, Mythology, and "the game of the gods" as well as fifty (50) years of reading fantasy, science fiction, and historical novels. In addition, I also have over fifty (50) years of experience playing board, miniature, computer, and role playing games.

The "critical hit" that inflicted a mortal wound on the dragon was a single arrow (shot by Cassandra) that entered the eye of the dragon. In D&D and mythology, the eye of a dragon is very important (the source of a dragon's ability to freeze humans with fear). The eye of a dragon is also one of the three (3) vulnerable areas of a dragon [What is immediately behind the eye of a dragon? - THE BRAIN!].

In Chapter 19, Jerry/Jeri reported "... However, she [Cassandra] shifted position and fired at the dragon instead [of Nadine]. A glowing arrow hit the dragon right in the eye, which infuriated it even more than Nadine's attack had.
We'd been hitting the dragon with nearly everything we had, and it was taking a toll. I didn't need to see its health bar to know that it was almost dead. A few more attacks was all it took before the dungeon boss finally collapsed to the ground. "

THE FATAL WOUND WAS INFLICTED BY CASSANDRA (resulting in me allocating her 45% of the credit for killing the dragon).

Dragons are (based upon mythology and D&D) as smart or smarter than humans and very long lived. A dragon as big as they faced would be an adult dragon several hundred years old [with SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS AN APEX PREDATOR!]. During the battle the dragon attempted to fly in order to get close enough to attack Cassandra (indicating that The dragon considered Cassandra a bigger threat than Nadine and the other Champions!). Noticing the danger, Jerry/Jerri desperately risked her life to get close enough to heal her (from the damage inflicted by the dragon landing near Cassandra) and grab ahold of Cassandra and activating "Maelyne's Shield" in time to save both their lives from a point blank blast of dragon's fire directed at Cassandra.

If Jerry/Jeri had not saved Cassandra, the fatal wound would not have been inflicted on the dragon. All of the other Champions combined could NOT have killed the dragon! All of the Champions fighting the Dragon would have died and the dragon would have survived! For her heroic action, I allocated Jerry/Jeri 45% of the credit for killing the dragon!

Don was the only other Champion that had any apparent effect on the dragon (driving the dragon back by the use of his mace and ability to move rock). For his actions, I allocated 5% of the credit for killing the dragon to Don.

I allocated the remaining 5% of the Credit (equally shared) to the other surviving Champions and Companions (with the exception of Nadine and Robe). I will explain why I gave no credit to Nadine and Robe in a following comment.

Although Terri was totally ineffective against the dragon ["...the dragon knocked her down several times, apparently unaware she was even there"] consider her actions to be more heroic than Matt or any of the Champions present. I will allocate her a special award for her heroism in a following comment...

My Proposed Awards

This comment is my personal opinion and does not reflect those of Morpheus or the Arbiters.

********************

During the unofficial conflict with Nadine, Terri verbally taunted Nadine several times. The last verbal taunt "Hey, Bitch," caused Nadine to turn to deal with Terri (ignoring Jerry/Jeri, who was about to strike Nadine with her staff). As a direct result, Nadine did not react to Jerry/Jeri's strike which landed a killing blow.

I would have given Teri with 25% of the credit for killing Nadine, awarded her a level increase (Companion Level 2) and granted her an additional attribute point bonus for her participation in the combat.

During the initial conflict (it wasn't much of a fight) with the Creep, Teri verbally and physically taunted the Creep with much success.

During the fight with the Troll, Teri couldn't resist taunting the troll with "Hey, Ugly"! BEFORE she hit him with her baseball bat prompting the funniest line in combat I've ever read "Don't Taunt the Troll"

For her effective use of taunting, I would reward her credit for a new skill: TAUNTING -RANK 1
(Reduces opponent's probability of hitting any target. Can force an undisciplined opponent to focus attention on Terri ignoring all other targets)

For her participation in the Dungeon Crawl and the first contest, I would have awarded Terri advancement to Companion -Rank 3 (with the appropriate rewards for reaching Rank -3).

In all of the combats Teri advanced to engage the enemy at close range without regard for her personal safety. Not many women would run up to a Huge Troll, shout "Hey Ugly" and hit him with a baseball bat!

I was particularly impressed with her heroism facing the dragon. Engaging the dragon armed with only a baseball bat and without armor is an amazing display of courage. For her actions, I would award her a new skill:

BERSERKER -RANK 1

(Increased speed when charging opponents.
Increased probability to hit opponents in close combat.
Increased damage to all strikes on opponents in close combat.
Low level opponents may flee when charged by a Berserker of a higher level. Probability of opponents fleeing increases with each level higher than opponents level.)

For finding a treasure that three (3) Champions (including Cassandra???) and one (1) Companion did not notice I would have rewarded Terri a one (1) point increase in awareness!

********************

For his total performance in the Dungeon Crawl, I would have credited Matt with a level increase to Companion -Rank 2 along with the usual increases.

Due to the ball bearing damage done to Spear Chick, I would have given Matt 50% of the Credit for killing Spear Chick (the other 50% going to Cassandra).

During the Troll fight, Matt was able to damage the Troll until he ran out of ammunition.

For his success with using a modified paint gun, I would have rewarded Matt with a new skill:

SLINGER - RANK 1
(Increased probability to hit with projectile weapons like stones, ball bearings, darts, arrows.
Increased damage when using a projectile.
Ability to use effectively slings, bows, crossbows, balistas, blowguns, and paint guns.)

********************

Cassandra:

For 50% of the Credit for killing a champion, I would reward her the normal benefit for killing a champion.

For 45% of the Credit for killing the dragon, I would reward her the typical increase for a dragon kill.

For her total participation in the Dungeon Crawl, I would grant her a level increase with all the accompanying rewards.

********************
I feel sorry for Don. He did most of the heavy work and obtained none of the glory!

However, his help was essential for the success of the group. He earned (the hard way) a level increase and the appropriate rewards.

********************

Jerry/Jeri along with his three (3) Champion (Allies) and two (2) companions should be rewarded a SWIFT KICK IN THE PANTS for not grabbing the tapestries, shields, and weapons on the wall in the "Troll Chamber"!!!

********************

I will discuss Nadine and Robe's sorry performance during the dragon fight in my next comment.

Being good on defense should be easier for a Jeri

After all, her patron is the Goddess of Loyalty and Protection. That said, she should now be proactive in tracking her enemies in their civies and not merely wait for them to come to her.

Use Matt as her spy. She should really have a better link with her companions, not as if they were familiars, but say a mental communication link at need.

Interestingly, none of the champions seem to have psionic or perception powers of any kind.

My Proposed Awards Part 2

The awards for Heather is a more complex subject than the other Champions and Companions in her Dungeon Crawl.

During the Dungeon Crawl, Heather (aka Jerry/Jeri) performed many Minor Healings on the party. At least two (2) of them probably resulted in saving the life of the person being healed. Heather should receive some reward for her Healings.

Originally, she had:
LESSER HEALING -RANK 3

Due to her outstanding (frequent Healings some of which were vital to the success of her party) performance, she could be granted:

LESSER HEALING - RANK 4

Several times, she cast a second healing (as soon as she had enough mana to cast a second lesser healing).
For her successful use of double LESSER HEALING on her party, she could be granted:

GREATER HEALING - RANK 1

Alternatively, she could be granted both if the Arbiters conclude that her performance justified both rewards.

I am inclined to argue both. The increase in rank for her existing skill is warranted by her successful use of her skill during the Dungeon Crawl.

The award of the new skill is warranted by Heather's "developing" the use of rapid double Healings in a combat situation AND the contribution of the double Healings to the success of the mission AND providing her patron with an unexpected "diplomatic chip[!!!]" that her patron can use!

Heather's most important contribution to the success of her party was her use of Maelyne's Shield. The question is not should she be granted an increase in rank to RANK 2; the question is should she receive a double increase to RANK 3! I would probably push for RANK 3, but be willing to settle for RANK 2 in return for securing one of the other rewards I am proposing.

[her earlier use of Maeline's Shield provided additional justification for this reward]

During the Dungeon Crawl, Heather constantly used her shield to protect Matt & Terri. Matt & Terri would not have survived without Heather's use of PROTECT COMPANION. She should receive an increase to RANK 3!

Heather already received her reward (the standard reward for killing a champion) when she killed Axe. However, that reward is not enough! Heather's (innovative and totally unexpected by Heather's patron) use of her Flirting skill to kill Axe warrants rewarding her an increase in rank to FLIRTING -RANK 6!

[I considered her healing of Magical Girl as part of the justification for the reward of RANK6]

Heather received an increase in her Staff Fighting rank during the battle with Spear Chick, so I do not see a reason for a reward for her Staff & Spear attacks during all of the Dungeon Crawl combats.

Jerry/Jeri was given a special blessing (reward) by her Patron in Chapter 20. This was additional and not part of the "Official Rewards" for the Dungeon Crawl. Instead of wishing for an offensive skill (before settling for the blessing Maelyne offered), Jerry/Jeri should have asked for resurrection for her companions. Of course, even if Jerry/Jerri had thought of resurrection, the result would have been the same! Go back and read the scene in the Chapter above. Maelyne was using her "powers" [i.e. Skills] to manipulate her champion. [Sigh - read my comment to Chapter 13 "Why Heather Died...Part 4"]

********************

Heather could also have been granted two other new skills
FRIENDSHIP -RANK 1
SHIELD OTHER CHAMPION - RANK 1

********************

Comment on Nadine & Robe to follow...

********************

Anyone want to speculate on Heather receiving one more (very special) reward? A romantic relationship with a hot chick in a cheerleader uniform (provided by Terri)???

[ROTFLMAO]

My thoughts on.....

Aine Sabine's picture

Being able to do more. I was thinking about Teri wanting to start learning Judo. The fact that Jeri gain the Spear Fighting ability after just a short time using one and the unofficial contests outside the official contests, she should be able to go to some dojo to learn numerous offensive fighting styles which would transfer in to the game. I'd go learn some type of sword fighting style.

Aine