Ginny's Story Chapter 57

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 


Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2018 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 57

I had to get some sleep since we are leaving at noon to be at the club by 1pm. I dozed off to the sound of Ellen finishing where I left off.

When I woke up at 10 o'clock, I was surprised to see Wendy was still there. She was bustling around the kitchen like a short order cook at a diner.

“Good morning, Auntie, what would you like for lunch at work tonight?”

To say I was surprised was an understatement. To start, there was a breakfast laid out like a buffet. The only thing missing was omelets. Before answering her, I loaded a plate with scrambled eggs, sausages, a good attempt at home fries and wheat toast. A large mug of steaming coffee was already placed in front of me.

“What are my lunch choices Wendy?” I asked.

“I have the rest of the homemade chicken soup, or I could heat up the Progresso soup of your choice. I found a wide mouth Thermos bottle.
You can have a sandwich with ham, sliced beef, or turkey, or, of course, a peanut butter and jelly.”

I knew this was a ploy to make me not want to send her away, and it was working.

After swallowing a mouth full of eggs, I suggested that she surprise me, then said: “Wendy, what did Ellen say after I went to bed last night?”

Wendy grimaced, “After she verbally castrated me, she explained why you were so upset. She said you were worried about me, and not upset about breaking your rules. Aunt Ginny, she said it was up to you and you only, whether I stay or go.”

I paused a minute, and finished a slice of toast before responding.

“Wendy, even though your body is a boy, and getting pregnant is not a problem, sex between teenagers is wrong for many reasons. One is the chance of getting sexually transmitted diseases. Do you understand this, kiddo?”

When I called her 'kiddo', Wendy visually relaxed.

“I understand; you mean protection, right? And the other thing doesn't pass on disease does it?”

“Oh Wendy, you haven't done that have you? I know you teenagers don't consider that sex, after President Clinton said it wasn't, but it is sex, and you can pass on disease that way.”

“Okay, no problem Auntie, that sounds disgusting anyway. Honestly, we fell asleep, hugging, but that's all we did!”

I did believe her, but Kevin was in so much trouble for leaving two kids alone on the couch. Just wait until I saw him!

I gave her a hug, “Wendy, you aren't going
anywhere, I won't toss you out of the house, think of all the money I've invested in you.”

At first, she thought I was serious, but then Wendy realized I was teasing her, and everything was fine. Along with the hug came tears; boy, was I glad my work clothes were hanging in the SUV already.

“Wendy, I have to pick Jean up at noon; today is the day we see the new singer, remember? If it's Vinny, we've got him and I'll call Pete's cell phone from the Candy Cane.”

“Oh Aunt Ginny, won't he blow his top for you guys playing detective with a murder suspect?”

“I'll just say I was working at the bar there, and the manager asked me to listen to her audition for a third opinion, remember this is my second week there.”

I gave her a kiss on the cheek, and over my shoulder asked if she wanted a ride to Ellen's office as it was on the way.

She grabbed a light jacket, slung her purse over her shoulder and actually beat me to the car.

Jean was surprised to see her, asking, “You are not bringing her to the club, are you?”

I laughed, “She might get to work there eventually, but not today. She's getting dropped off at Ellen's job; she'll play me again and do paper work all day.”

Wendy gave me a kiss and crossed the street at the stop light, waving all the way.

Jean sat back and asked if there was a problem in Camelot. I related the story of Billy and Wendy's overnighter, asking if I was too hard on her.

Jean rubbed my arm, and said, “You did it perfectly, she needed to remember that there are rules if she lives with you. I think Wendy's done remarkably well going from living in a cardboard box for two years to being a delightful young woman living with two great adults like Ellen and you.

“Now, let's concentrate on this Ariana Grande impersonator. I've got a good sense for seeing through makeup to the man underneath. Let me see those photographs again please.”

I pointed to a manila envelope on the back seat. The rest of the ride was quiet except for me swearing at other drivers acting like idiots on the highway.

When we arrived at the Club, we went right in so we could be there before the singer came in. I sat at a table in the gloom with my Kindle reading a book about some T-girl acting in Shakespearean plays in England. Not a bad story; I hated to stop and watch for Morales to show up on the stage. I was already assuming Ariana to be him! I took a sip from a Diet Pepsi and as I did, I heard the opening music to a Lady GaGa song. Looking up I saw a slim, short, dark-haired girl climb the stairs and picked up a microphone.

It could be him, but wow. could she sing! Next she sang the song, “Don't Cry for Me Argentina” sounding more like the girl from the Carpenters then Madonna.

I wanted to stand up and clap she was so good. Next was Helen Reddy's song “I am Woman”. I hoped she wasn't Vinny, she was amazing.

From where I was sitting I could see Mr Logan and Jean enjoying themselves. Jean asked if she could sing any Country. Logan suggested Reba MacIntire's “One true heart”. Wow did she bang that out!

By now the 'Reba' singer was here, and she look pissed as she stomped off into her dressing room. I hoped her contract was signed.

I decided this was either Vinny or his sister. I couldn't wait to compare notes with Jean. 'Ariana' finished and handed the microphone to Mr Logan and asked if she had the job. Before Logan could answer, Jean asked why she wanted to sing at a strip club, a nice one, but still a strip club.

“Why not? I'm a man dressed like a woman. Can you imagine the reaction if my little man slipped out while I was on-stage singing? Here it would most likely get a round of applause.”

“Well, you're going to find out honey, you have the job. When could you start?”

I headed to the lounge to get dressed, and waited for Jean.

“Whooee, I hope she's not your man. Can that girl sing!” Jean was actually gushing.

I coyly asked her, “Are you interested in her, she is kind of cute, you know.”

That got a snort out of Jean. “Yeah, I get hot every time you get out of my car in that tight little skirt too.”

After studying the photographs Jean agreed with me. “I'm ninety percent sure it's your Vinny. Have your room-mate call her cop boyfriend and let the cops figure it out. But that body's real, no padding, no phony boobs.”

“Time for us to get to work, we'll talk more on the ride home.” Terri said as she wiggled downstairs to her dressing room.

I was busy that night for some reason. I saw Hiram and the Ru Paul wanna-be at the quiet end of the bar. Hiram gave me a wave, so I left Jan and Joy to handle the waitresses.

I stopped to make a sidecar on the way down. I asked Hiram's friend what she would like and said, “I haven't seen you for a while dear, what should I call you?”

In a tremulous voice she said, “Cathy, just Cathy. And I only dress up once in a while.”

“Cathy, it's okay to dress up,” I said, “Look at all the great looking and colorful clothes you have to wear. Hiram is kind of bland isn't he?”

This got a big smile from Cathy, and a nod and a wink from Hiram.

I had to move to the waitress station to fill an order of two martinis, a sloe gin fizz, and a draft Blue Moon beer with a slice of orange.

A beautiful dark skinned lady asked if I could make her a drink she saw in the newspaper. I asked her what its name was, but she forgot. It had sweet vermouth and 7up.

I thought a minute and started to make it, 3oz of vermouth, 1½oz of the 7up, and two speared Spanish olives. I slid the glass to her and asked, “How does it taste?”

She took a sip and smiled, “Oh this is wonderful!”

I stopped her before she slid her card through the reader. “This is on me honey, you taught me a new cocktail, enjoy.”

It seemed like the time flew by that night. I heard the last call music over the PA and had to check my watch, yup, 2am, time to go.

'Wow, I really must be enjoying the work if I don't notice the time,'I thought. 'I must tell Ellen and Steve Brady this, I think I want to continue here!'

As I was bending over to get my purse, someone slapped my bum. I stood up ready for battle! Jean's smiling face greeted me.

“Nice ass, how much for a lap dance?”

Laughing, I said she couldn't afford me and let's go home before I change my mind.

We compared notes on 'Ariana' and still thought is was probable she was indeed Morales.

Jean exclaimed, “Ellen! We forgot Ellen was waiting in the parking lot with her camera! I hope she got a few good shots we can show to your cop friend.”

“If she did, I know she'll be awake waiting for us”

Sure enough, the lights were on at the condo, and Ellen and Wendy were watching an old black and white movie with Myrna Loy, a dog and a tall skinny man wit a martini constantly in his hand.

“Jean and I have tomorrow off, but you have to work Ellen. Are you going to be awake for the job?”

“Don't worry, Steve is dealing with a carpenters' union strike district wide. It will last until the weekend. So tell me, is it him? Is it Morales?”

Before answering, I got Jean and I a Diet Coke.

“We think it is, but you should hear her sing!” I said.

“Wait, ladies, you can hear her. I recorded her on my phone while she was auditioning,” Jean grinned, “Logan didn't notice.”

We hooked her phone to the smart television and played Ariana's songs.

Wendy and Ellen were spell-bound, totally amazed by her voice.

“She sounds just like Ariana!” Wendy said, “I have that song on my phone.”

Ellen was amazed by her version of “Don't Cry for me Argentina”, saying she sounded just like Karen Carpenter.

Jean asked if she was able to get shots of her in the parking lot coming inside the club.

“Oh my, I forgot! Wendy show the photos to them on the computer.”

“Aunt Ellen, I'll do better than that, let's plug it in to that sixty inch TV of ours.”

She got some great shots, but I was interested in the profile photos.

I held up one of the 8” by 11” Vinny pictures. Close, very close. The chin was a little smaller and the bump in Vinny's nose was gone, but it was him or his younger sister.

Wendy exclaimed, “Tina ! She looks just like Tina.”

Well, Tina was still in jail awaiting trial, so it couldn't be her. Ellen said she would call Pete the next day.

“Could Jean be here too?” she asked, “It would save Ginny a lot of trouble. We could say she followed you to the club in Quincy.”

Jean smiled, “Of course. Is it all right if I curl up on the sofa to sleep? This way Ginny doesn't have to drive me home, and Wendy can tell me if I snore.”

We all laughed at that, and Wendy found a spare pillow and a blanket.

Just before I turned off the lights, I exclaimed “Shit! Kevin's coming tomorrow afternoon, I mean this afternoon.”

To be continued.

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh, without her encouragement and assistance in correcting typos, this story would not exist.
Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing me to use her book "The Candy Cane Club" in my story.
up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Will peat be upset

Samantha Heart's picture

Damn right he will be, BUT, if this IS Venny and NOT TINA (7 will get you 10 it's venny) then Peat can't be TOO MAD as Genny is in 1 place his,people can't be so in the,end he,still gets his perp.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Nice handling with Wendy

She seems tough but strikes me a very fragile.

They Could Have A Job

joannebarbarella's picture

Actually proving that the singer is Vinny. He seems to have gone the whole hog with facial surgery as well as bodily female enhancements. I hope they have DNA samples.

Vinny ?

Time will tell.

They probably have his

Brooke Erickson's picture

They probably have his fingerprints on file.

Also, even if they don't have DNA (though it'd be easy enough to get from his house) they have Tina. Since she's his daughter, half her DNA is his. A fairly simple test will show that she's his daughter.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks