The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.16 - Conclusion - A Dream

Printer-friendly version
price_to_pay.jpg
          

"I call someone a thug when I see someone behaving like a thug, I remember what you were like at school. You leave that young lady alone and pick on someone your own size," challenged Mr Rees.

The thug turned back towards me and spat in my face.

"That's not a young lady, that's a queer, shemale tranny," he sneered, before turning back towards Seren's father,"but if you want some, Rees, I'll give it to you first"

The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.16 - Conclusion - A Dream

by Alys


Vol. 4.15
 
"Y tráªn nesaf ym mhlatfform chwech.....Llundain.........The next train at platform six....London..." was the distorted announcement over the station PA I heard as I walked into the Caerdydd Canolog* station.

"Great," I thought to myself as I sat down with my coffee in the station cafe," I can fail to make out the meaning of train information in two languages"

I looked at the information board and noted the arrival I was waiting for was expected in about fifteen minutes.

I opened my shoulder bag and took out the folded envelope. I opened the envelope and pulled out the plain piece of paper with the half page of writing on it. I unfolded it and placed it down on the table. The folds in the paper were showing signs of turning into permanent cuts. I noticed the numerous stains from the tears that I had shed. In places the ink had blurred. I re-read the ninety seven words again. I had lost count of the number of times I had searched for some hope in the three short paragraphs, always disappointed.

Dear Celyn

Please forgive me. I have reached a personal crisis. You are just so amazing in every way. The problem is I am jealous of your achievements. I don’t feel I can compete.

Please believe me there is nothing between me and Meryl, she is happy with Gethin, she saw me in the corridor when she brought a message for Mr Jones and asked me what was wrong.

I guess you and I slipped into boyfriend/girlfriend mode too easily. You are too good for me, I’m sorry. I hope we can still be friends.

xx

Siá´n

"Bloody male ego!" I muttered aloud as the piece of paper in my hand absorbed yet another tear.

I felt I was being watched, I looked up to see a middle aged man and woman, sitting at a table nearby, looking at me with a mixture of concern and apprehension. I briefly smiled at them, to allay any fears they have about my psychiatric state following my outburst, and then turned back to my coffee.

I checked the information screen again and decided that I might as well wait on the platform as in the concourse. As I made my way along the tunnel, to platform six, I thought back to the events of only a week ago that had turned my world upside down.

It had taken my Mother almost an hour to prise me away from the female toilets where I had fled after discovering Siá´n and Meryl embracing. I spent the rest of the weekend refusing to answer the phone to my friends or talk to anyone. Eventually Siá´n and Meryl had come round to see me, but I had refused to see them. In the end my Mother had suggested that they write me notes explaining what had happened.

The draught caused by a train arriving almost blew the beret off my head, I grabbed it and held it down. The passenger doors opened and I searched for the familiar face.

"Celyn!" called a familiar voice from the opposite direction to where I was looking.

"Amarjit!" I said as I turned to meet my friend from Southhall, who was walking towards me.

"So nice to see you again," she said in her beautiful South London accent, putting her arms around me.

"You too," I responded and then the rest of the words I had to say were cut off by Amarjit kissing me. My initial hesitation was overcome and I soon responded to her embrace in kind.

"Mmmm, that was nice," she said, with a broad grin, putting her arm around my waist as we walked down the passageway to the exit," and how is my favourite Welsh girl today?"

"How many Welsh girls do you know?" I asked, teasingly.

"Well only one," she admitted," but she's still my favourite"

"In that case," I said," you'd better close your eyes for the whole weekend"

"Why's that," asked Amarjit, with a look of puzzlement on her face.

"Cos, Wales is full of Welsh girls and I want to stay your favourite!" I replied, laughing.

"There are responsibilities, though, in being the favourite," Amarjit said, after we had sat down, next to each other, at a table in the cafe.

"What are the responsibilities?" I asked.

"They have to like this," she replied before leaning towards me and kissing me gently on the lips. I responded and we lost ourselves in the pleasure of the embrace for a little while.

"I like it, Amarjit, but.." I said hesitantly, after I had extracted myself from our clinch.

"It's OK, Celyn, I know that you prefer boys, well at least one boy, how is it with Siá´n?" Amarjit asked, " you didn't give much detail on the phone when you asked me to come down for your LGBT day"

"It's not good, here read this," I said, taking out Siá´n's letter and handing it to her.

She quickly scanned the contents and then put her arm around my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry, Celyn, from the way you described things in your emails it sounded really, really good." she said softly.

"That's what I thought too, I don't know what I did wrong to spoil things," I responded, feeling another tear welling up in my eye.

"Celyn, you didn't do anything wrong, he's the one with the issues, whatever they are," she said, stroking my back.

"Yes, I suppose you're right," I responded, glumly.

We sat in silence for a few minutes as I dwelled on my sadness. Amarjit drank her coffee slowly and appeared deep in thought. Eventually she said.

"Let's talk about everything later, for now why don't you show me around your great capital city," she suggested.

"Yes, I said," I responded, being glad to have something positive to do to take my mind off my failed relationship.

"By the way, apart from having a chance to see you again I have another reason to be grateful to you for the invite to Cardiff," Amarjit said.

"What's that?" I wondered.

"Well, you remember I told you on MSN a few weeks ago that I had come out to my parents?" she asked.

"Yes"

"Well when I told them I was a Lesbian, they thought about it for a few days and then sat me down in the lounge and said, "If you have decided that you want to be Lesbian for a while instead of marrying Mr Singh's eldest....."" Amarjit said.

"Lesbian for a while!" I interjected.

"Yes," chuckled Amarjit," they think that it's some sort of lifestyle choice, it was so funny when they said it I wanted to burst out laughing, but anyway they said that I would have to do medicine, you know, become a doctor, to make up for my refusal to marry, I think that they have an ulterior motive though"

"What's that?" I asked.

"Where do you think you'll find one of the highest concentrations of educated Asians in the UK?" she asked.

"Dunno....oh you mean medicine," I replied," there's sneaky parents you have"

"Yes, they are," said Amarjit," and do you know where there is a really good medical school?"

"Manchester, Liverpool and London I guess." I replied.

"And?"

"Oh, I'm slow, here in Cardiff of course," I said

"Yes," said Amarjit," I'm thinking of applying here, so hopefully your sister can show me around some of the student facilities this weekend. Do you know what my parents said about going to Cardiff?"

"No, can't guess at all," I responded.

"They said that Cardiff would be a good place to go because my friend Celyn would be nearby and she's not trying to be Lesbian like me!" Amarjit said, laughing.

I joined her in the laughter and then after we had calmed down we carried on chatting for a while. I explained our plans about LGBT awareness day in school. Amarjit made some suggestions about what I should say at the beginning. We then worked out a plan for the weekend. She was especially happy to know that we would be sharing a room in my sister's flat for the night before going back to my parents' house on Sunday afternoon.

******************************

It was a crisp, dry, sunny late November morning as I stood outside the main school entrance, welcoming parents and children into the school, and distributing programmes for the day's activities.

Above me the massive pink banner with yellow writing and male, female, gay, lesbian and transgender symbols on greeted those attending with the message.

Celebrate Diversity
Cwm Wysg's LGBT Day

"Hi Celyn!" shouted a familiar voice.

I turned just as Seren bounded up to me and gave me a hug.

"Hi Seren, how are you? Is that your Mum and your Dad?" I asked of the couple who were about ten metres away.

"Yes, it's great isn't it, Dad said that he would come to try and find out what it was all about," my young friend replied.

"Good morning, Mrs Rees and Mr Rees, thanks for coming," I said politely.

Seren's father was about to reply when we heard a shout from the car park and turned to see what the commotion was.

"Don't go into that freak school!" yelled John James, the father of one of the thugs who had got expelled for assaulting Seren and were now facing five years of youth custody at her Majesty's pleasure.

"It is an abomination, don't go there," the thug's father continued to yell as he made his way uncertainly towards the entrance of the school. He was carrying a can of lager, taking swigs of it as he staggered towards me.

"Seren, run into reception and tell them to call the police and get the Games department to come here." I said urgently.

I stood in the entrance, blocking any possible way in for the drunken parent.

"Out of my way, you tranny freak," he slurred at me.

"I am sorry, Mr James, you know that you are not allowed on the premises," I said defiantly. I had no intention of letting him into the school to destroy the positive atmosphere there.

"In that case, I'll have to teach you the lesson your father should have done," he shouted at me while raising his hand.

I prepared to take evasive action.

"Like father, like son, is it James?" boomed the challenging voice of Seren's father, "once a thug, always a thug"

"Who are you calling a thug, Rees," shouted Mr James, turning away from me to face his accuser.

"I call someone a thug when I see someone behaving like a thug, I remember what you were like at school. You leave that young lady alone and pick on someone your own size," challenged Mr Rees.

The thug turned back towards me and spat in my face.

"That's not a young lady, that's a queer, shemale tranny," he sneered, before turning back towards Seren's father,"but if you want some, Rees, I'll give it to you first"

The drunken, aggressive adult staggered towards Mr Rees, swinging wildly as he got near. Seren's father took up a defensive stance as if to parry whatever blows would land on him. At the last moment, as he was about to be caught with a haymaker, he deftly slipped out of the way leaving the punch's momentum to carry the thug onwards.

Splash!!

The sound of Mr James crashing into the school fish pond caught the attention of parents in the far car park as they came towards the school.

The stupid, aggressive father sat up in the water, a butterfly tail goldfish slithered out of his hair back into the sanctuary of the water while fronds of pond weed decorated his face.

"Are you OK, sweetie?" asked Amarjit gently, putting her arm around my shoulder.

I squeezed her hand in response.

I felt another touch on my arm.

"You were very brave, Celyn, are you OK?" asked Meryl.

"Yes thanks," I replied, smiling at both of them.

Within a couple of minutes a crowd of male teachers, led by the head of games, Mr Jones, had crowded around my potential assailant. One of the younger teachers was restraining Siá´n as he tried to jump into the pond.

"How dare you try and attack Celyn," he shouted at the bedraggled fool," she's better than you or your son will ever be, in every way!"

Soon the police arrived to take away our trespasser and it was time for everyone to return to the hall. I thanked my unexpected saviour and made my way to the stage.

Once everyone had found their seats, Mrs Williams strode to the podium and looked out on the packed room.

"Ladies and Gentlemen and pupils of Cwm Wysg, I would like to wholeheartedly welcome you to the school's LGBT day, to celebrate diversity," she said warmly, " we have a wide range of activities planned for the day, as you will see from your programme. We will begin with a brief address by each of the guests on the stage, who have been invited to show the range of people who are open about their LGBT status"

Mrs Williams paused to take a sip of water from her glass.

"But before that there are two things I would like to do. Firstly I would ask for a minutes' silence to remember the victims of hate crime worldwide, you may or may not be aware that there are seventy seven countries in the world today where it is a criminal offence to be gay or transgendered. These countries punish women, men and children because of their sexuality and gender identity. In seven of these countries the punishment for being gay is death. Let us bow our heads and think about the victims of this bigotry and prejudice"

For the next minute you could have heard a pin drop in the hall as the only sound was the breathing of over twelve hundred people.

"Thank you," said Mrs Williams, wiping a tear away," that was very dignified."

As I wiped away my tears I looked around to see many others, men and women, with their handkerchiefs in their hands.

"The next thing, before we listen to our invited guests, is to ask the person who was the inspiration for today's event, in more ways that she realises, and who worked so hard, with her friends in the sixth form to make it happen, Celyn Morus, to come and say a few words"

At the invitation I stepped forward, feeling extremely nervous as I placed the piece of paper, containing what I wanted to say, on the podium. I stared out at the expectant audience and then looked at the words I had written down.

"I would also like to thank everyone for coming," I said quietly. I noticed Mr Johnson, the Physics teacher, who was running the PA furiously indicating for me to raise my voice.

"I'm not going to say much, just to thank Mrs Williams for allowing this day to happen and to all the students and staff who have helped to make it a reality. I hope everyone enjoys the day. I wonder how many of you have heard of the great civil rights leader, Martin Luther King?"

I paused to look and noticed that a number of the parents were nodding their heads.

"Well, as some of you may know, just over thirty four years ago, at the Lincoln Memorial, in Washington D.C., Martin Luther King made a very famous speech. I would like to quote a little of it. This is what he said,
"I have a dream.. I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists....... little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.""

I paused again then to take a deep breath before continuing.

"Well I too have a dream, I have a dream that one day in our school and in any school, straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transboys, transgirls, people who are intersex will hold hands together and be a family that welcomes and celebrates diversity. Realising that dream starts today. Thank you for listening," I said and then returned to my seat.

The applause started slowly but then seemed to last a long time.

*Cardiff Central


Conclusion of Volume 4

 


( The Missing Bit )

Note from your Friendly Neighborhood Webspider Grrl: Alys posted a blog (linked directly above) to help those that read the story before she added in a correction. Yes, "The Missing Bit," is already in the story as a whole, but some people don't pay attention to the blog list, and those that missed it (approximately the first 200 or so readers) may check back to see the comments, so I (Edeyn) inserted the link to Alys' blog and this note to explain why.

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks and some links

Thanks to everyone who read, commented and voted on my latest volume of this series. I hope you have enjoyed this last chapter.

I do plan to continue, with a volume 2 and a volume 5 in the near future.

Here are some links that might be interesting:-

Martin Luther King's speech, text and video from:- http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

School's Out, an organisation that campaigns for LGBT children in schools in the UK has a website:-
http://www.schools-out.org.uk/index.htm

A report of a successful LGBT day in a school in East London is at :-
http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=14316

Hugs,

Alys

round of applause for Celyn

kristina l s's picture

...and on her behalf Alys. Or is that the other way around? It doesn't matter whether it's always you or yours the basics are pretty constant. Fear and distrust of difference, perhaps an unwillingness to look and listen. There will always be differing views, we just need to acknowledge them with as little prejudice as possible and talk...

As for relationships, well they're fraught enough if it's boy seeks girl or girl seeks boy, god help you if you don't fit the basic cut in some way. But hey, almost anythings possible. Humans are the damndest critters, maybe we'll surprise us all.... well we can try for glass half full can't we? Nice one Alys. I am glad that darker scenarios didn't play out.

Kristina

The Price to Pay

Alys,
Knowing full well the price we must pay for intolerance I applaud the efforts of anyone willing to do the things portrayed by the characters in your story. May all your dreams come true and your stories always find happy endings.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary, it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Alys, That Dream

Can only come true when all TR>G. people and their friends and family stand up to hatred and stupidity. Thank you for writing your stories. Celyn still has a story to tell through you.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great Series Alys

Glad to hear that there is going to be more in the future.

Alys, I Always Try

joannebarbarella's picture

To be a bit of a smartarse when I comment on your stories, but I cannot be with our lovely Celyn. I think many of us forget that she became a girl in circumstances most definitely not of her own choosing. She has had to adapt to a life which was better than death and you have made that journey into a joyous, if not always easy, one. I shed tears for her and revel in her acceptance of her changed life. That others have not always been able to accept this or share in her transition is one of those things that make the human experience the tragedy and comedy that it always is. Thankyou for giving the rest of us a lovely ride on your talent,
Joanne

Well Done

As always very well done Alys.

Looking forward to reading more about Celyn in the future.

I think Sion will come around eventually, when he realizes how wonderful Celyn really is, and what he was doing to her finally strikes home. I think he will realize he had gold and was throwing it away. He didn't appreciate the value of it, until he lost it. Hopefully he will find it again and come back to his senses.

It's obvious that Sion still loves Celyn to stick up for her, when that thug bully was trying to hurt her.

Nicely done.

Ignorance VS tolerance and truth, latest revision

EXCUSE ME! as Steve Martin used to say. How is Celyn 'a queer, shemale tranny,' and why should his dad have taught his child a *lesson* when, one, the opperation and hormones that made her a girl were medically necessary to save her life and two, the parents, dad included chose to have the SRS done at the same time which initially proved contrary to Celyn's wishes, almost to the point of sucide. She sure was depressed until she met the dying girl. Plus with the SRS she no longer has THAT appendage so the shemale attribute is plain-out wrong, anatomically speaking.

Oh, right, the guy is a drunken ignorant fool. Sadly the World is full of them.

Early in this chapter and at the end of the last Siôn and Meryl seem to have shown their true colors. Her explanation, though possible, seem weak and Siôn is acting a fool. Hey, Celyn should take heart in that as a girl she got a 'Dear John' letter. Please note: I get them all the time but then John is my first name.

Why did they come together to try and appolguise? Why not come separate? Afraid their stories might contradict each other? I'm kind of playing Devil's advocate here, but such thoughts had to have played though Celyn's mind. In her mind what happened is likely much worse than reality. Her friends are probably telling the truth but the trust Celyn had in them is shattered. I loved the turn around in Seren's dad from hurt, confused even angry at his child wanting to be a girl has turned into accepance, trying to understand and being fiecely protective of Celyn, who in many ways was a catalyst in all that happened.

Nice to see the lovely Brit-Asian(?), Amarjit, -- it would be Amer-Asian here -- back in Celyn's life. I worry, if she is back, what of the drunken oaf who tried to rape Celyn while on vacation?

Thank's To Pippa_K for noticing something I'd missed, DUH! Meryl and Siôn do show up right after the asault almost happens at the LGBT Day and it's obvious they still love her. Celyn's smile in responce shows it is mutual so maybe there is hope, but it will take time for all the hurt to go away.

Mom's idea of Siôn and Meryl writing notes to Celyn was both logical and World Class stupid. She wasn't thinking about the possible outcome, again, a frequent flaw of her's. Now every time Celyn looks at the note her pain is reenforced. Good going, Mom! Oh, didn't Meryl write one too? The LGBT Day show's how quickly teenage *crises* can blow over. Very believable stuff.

"Faboo" series, as Wacko Warner would say. Here I am all agitated and exited and these are all ficticious people and places, like Cardiff exixts. What a rediculous name for a city.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Inspiring, so well done!

Alys ~

One of the things that I really like about your series is its reality - life is a mix of good an bad, of positive and negative experiences, and you show that well. I'll be looking forward to reading about these characters and their future experiences!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Hate organizations and hate crimes in the USA

Jezzi Stewart's picture

I am a supporter of Morris Dee's Southern Poverty Law Center that fights hate crimes through legal means in the USA. The SPLC has successfully bankrupted several versions of the Klan, NeoNazi groups, and etc. It also keeps track of the various hate organizations - approaching 800 - in the USA and issues a quarterly intelligence report: VERY SCARY READING! Morris Dee's faces death every day from the contracts put out on him by the various hate groups, a measure of his and his organization's success in fighting them. The SPLC is one of the few organizations other than my church to which I actually give money. Another is the American Civil Liberties Union. In terms of protecting individual rights and fighting intolerance and hate, both are worthy organizations and I reccoment them highly.

Oh, yeah, GREAT STORY, Alys. I'm looking forward to more.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

I enjoy these tales

Angharad's picture

I was in Wales earlier today, riding part of the old Brecon & Monmouthshire canal with my daughter.

Most of the people we met smiled and said hello, it was a lovely sunny day. However, the pub we stopped at the for lunch, The Star, at Mamhilad, I won't be returning to. No food no charm from the landlord who didn't give a toss, made worse when he ignored us to offer some spare meals to another earlier refused wouldbe diner. Maybe it's just as well, I may have told him a few home truths as well as what to do with his roast pork.

There was also a middle aged mountain bike rider who acted like a pig, in all the gear but with a small thing called a brain missing. People who are serious MTB riders don't go up and down flat canal towpaths! We had to get out of his way twice, sadly I didn't see him coming the second time or I'd have blocked his way.

So I can agree with Alys, that there are some boneheads in Wales, but most of the population is okayish, like everywhere else.

It's interesting that so much of gender seems toboil down to sex, at least in lots of people's minds. Yet gender occupies all one's waking hours, you can't be anything to anyone until they work out if you're male or female. And sex, well for most, a quick fumble in the stationery cupboard if you're lucky. So why is it so important, and why are so many fearful of anything slightly different? Is it cultural - Judeo-Christianity-Islam, all of which should be more tolerant but often aren't, and which are very paternalistic. Or is it to do with the fear of women's sexuality, which is typified by some Islamic women having to walk around in anonymity because the men can't trust themselves if they see any flesh. Now, maybe my logic is flawed here, but it sounds to me that it's the men who have the problem and maybe they should be made to wear straightjackets or the trouser equivalent!

Diolch Alys, rant over.

Angharad

Angharad

To dream a dream...

is to banish the nightmares away. The dream is for hope that tomorrow will be a better day than the one before.

Hello Alys!!! ^___^ ;-D

Thanks for a wonderful series. If Ceylen gave her story at the assembly, I wonder how many men and boys would be thankful that they don't have the cancer to stricken them in the groin. I am sure some of them would have a change of mind and heart and lend support to some of the cancer orginizations out there. I bet the drunken father was not told the whole story about Ceylen and what she went through to survive. Because Ceylen's parents and the doctor did not give up to save her life. Would he do the same if his son was stricken with the same cancer or let him die? He would have to swallow his male egoish pride if he wanted his son to live. It would be interesting to read some of the reactions from that assembly, whether good, bad or indifferent.

There is one cancer that will hit all men if they are not careful, prostate cancer. My grandfather and my dad has it. Will I get it? Probably, but there are multiple options today than there were when my grandfather had it. Of course in my personal opinion, I would be glad to see it removed. It was never strong in my body except to make me into a hairy ape, which I eventually had it lasered off.

Thanks again for another series in the life of Ceylen. I am sure in the next set of chapters we will see Ceylen participating with the football team. That will bring its own trials and tribulations that is for sure.

Have a wonderful week.

Rachel

apropos a map of the north american continent...

..and in particular, concerning the attitude of certain christinsane church groups, who needs them anyway?

People in Britain, which today might at best be described as a post-christian country, are just amazed at the importance their sisters and brothers across the pond still give to religion. After several hundreds of years of struggles between the various sects and branches of this religion, modern British people have mostly decided that it has no relevance to how we live our lives, and have assigned it to the dustbin of discarded ideas.
Some of us go even further - describing it as a mind parasite, because it has all the characteristics of a living thing, of a parasite, but with no physical being, alive only in the form of mind, its DNA equivalent being if you will a set of words or ideas, that invade a mind, grow to take over more room inside, reacts to stimuli, feeds, excretes, and tries to reproduce and spread its kind by preaching, using its human host for this purpose. Like viruses, religions even mutate (the oldest have adapted to their host to cause less harm, as a dead host means a dead parasite, so this obeys one of the laws of Evolution, Survival of the Fittest!), the mutated, newest forms are the most virulent and dangerous, causing people to fly planes into tall buildings, making victims give a tithe of their wealth to their church and to waste much of their time trying to infect others with their strain of it.
What we need is a vaccine and some effective mind-antibiotics. Well, that is my opinion.

Briar

Briar

Coming Back To The Subject

The subject of both this chapter, and my comment regarding the divergence in the U.S. between communities accepting of LGBT persons and those seeking to repress and persecute them, were about dealing with hate and promoting tolerance.

To that end, religion could easily be the solution and not the problem. Don't forget, Jesus went around teaching equality and human rights, telling slaves, the poor, and outcasts that God loved them and that they were every bit the equal in His eyes of those who lorded it above them, owned and ruled them. That the meek shall inherit the earth, that humility is a virtue, and that judgement is reserved to the Almighty. It was a message of love and peace. This message is what made Christianity take off in the Roman Empire like wildfire in the first place. Other major religions have similar early teachings, too.

There are still denominations who believe and practice this. If you can find one, you might want to consider supporting it. As a vote of confidence and encouragement, if nothing else.

But, it's also clear that there are others, with people who have really lost the message, for instance taking Jesus and the Bible as little more than idols or totems upon which to build exclusionary, authoritarian communities.

On a purely linguistic note, it's odd that "fundamentalism" should have come to mean "exaggeration of carefully selected out-of-context quotes from a religious text to support your [fill-in-the-blank]-phobic position" instead of "interpreting everything in light of the underlying founding message of universal love and equality."

For, it's only by teaching that all people are deserving of love and human rights that the cycles of hatred and violence will ever be broken.

I Think That All Of This About Tolerence and The U.S.A. Is

Not remembering the facts. I live in Alabama and there are a few other authors that live here in the South. Please do not lump us in with those intolerant bigots!! A map is just a map.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Laws vs. The Individual

Stan, I think you need to read this article. It's about the ban in Alabama and other states on sex toys ("marital aids," as they are euphemistically known).

Sweet Home, Alabama Dildos [click here]

The map isn't about comdemning individuals. Far from it. It shows an area where individual rights may be being repressed by the political strength and laws of a large population of people who think a certain way and think everyone else should think the same way. In noting that Alabama is one of the epicenters of that trend, I have nothing but sympathy and condolences for those decent individuals who must suffer at the hands of those who rule the place.

The very best thing...

...about dreams is that sometimes--very rarely, true--you wake up, and they've come true.

And sometimes, that is a glorious thing indeed.

May we all one day (soon!) have that kind of awakening.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"