Gaby Book 16 ~ Sweet Sixteen ~ Chapter *19* Girls Night

Printer-friendly version
 
 
*Chapter 19*
Girl's Night

 
 

“Did you speak to Bern’s mum?” I asked my own mater as I fried the Bratkartoffeln we were having with our chops for dinner.
“I did,” she confirmed draining the veg.
“And?”
“I’m guessing Bern told you about Social Services? Pass me the measuring jug.”
I gave her the mug, “Uh huh, she thinks they’ve got it in for her.”
“She might not be too far wrong from what Cheryl said, do you know where the mushroom sauce is?”
“Er,” I had to think on that, “middle shelf, left hand side?”
“Ah there it is, thanks.”
“So? I pressed.
“Did you know we had Gulasch mix in here?”
“Yes, you bought it last week—Bern?”
“Oh right, yeah so Cheryl said that the social worker is a nasty bit of work and seems determined to take Drea away.”
“They can’t do that can they?”
“If they think the baby or child is at risk.”
“Risk of what? Seems a bit heavy handed.”
“Well it’s because some kids have been killed or injured by their carers.”
“But Bern wouldn’t hurt Drea,” I stated.
“Well it’s apparently policy to put them on the register if the parents aren’t in a stable relationship.”
“That sucks.”
“Cheryl reckons that there’s a policy of taking babies and giving them for adoption.”
“They take babies away?”
“They have to have a good enough reason, but yes,” Mum confirmed.
“No wonder Bern’s worried, I would be, I mean if I had children, I’d be worried.”
“Me too, kiddo,”
“And there’s no way of getting off this list?”
“It’s rare, getting married helps apparently and the older the child the less likely as well – it’s easy to find parents for babies but less so for older children.”
I returned to dinner, it’s easy to overcook fried potato and ours were reaching the turning point.

“So everything’s set?” I asked before digging into my custard Danish the following morning in Thesing’s.
“Mart’s mum’ll bring them down and my dad’ll take them back,” Pia advised.
“Dad’s doing us a torte,” Con put in.
Now that’s something to look forward to.
“Mum’s gonna do us a pasta party,” Pia added.
We really are talking now!
“What time we meeting? Me and Mand have training first,” and I’ve got my extra tuition.
“Six?” Steff suggested.
“Suits,” Nena allowed.
“Gab?” Pia queried.
“Should be okay.” It might be a bit tight but Mum said she’d drop us up.

It still seems pretty gross having to check the contents of my knickers every chance I get, the only good thing is that this time round it’s not been too messy. Apart from Sunday’s lack of preparation I seem to have got things largely under control. With any luck – and a bit of attention, next time should be even better as the pill overrides my ovaries.

My ovaries, I still can’t get how I I’ve always had them but no one knew until last year. I guess no one was looking, you don’t see stuff if you don’t look for it and there wasn’t any reason to look. I redressed and after the usual ablutions headed back to class.

I’d already sorted out what I was wearing before our turbo session so once I was cleaned up it was straight into my nice undies, hose and dress. Just because it’s just a girls night doesn’t mean slopping around in jeans with no makeup, it’s nice to make some effort. I must admit that I picked the dress to match my nails, it was easier than redoing my talons and much quicker.

I grabbed my shoes and headed downstairs, there is no way I’m trying to navigate these stairs in heels. It’s not something I ever thought of as being a useful life skill well not for me at any rate. Heels I can do, heels and stairs – not if I can help it!

“We going the same place?” Mand asked when I got to the lounge.
She was dressed smart but not in a dress, fancy blouse, jeans and ballets – with my heels I could just about look her in the eye!
“Dinner at the Ritz?”
“You sure it’s okay for me to come?”
“Why not?”
“Well I don’t even know her for starters.”
“You know everyone else,” I pointed out, “you’ll like her.”
“You two ready?” Mum asked.
“Ready,” I agreed, “come on, de Vreen, let’s party.”
I was at the door before Mand’s voice brought me up short, “Forget something, Bond?”
Well I had my coat on, I remember putting my Handy and stuff in the clutch I was using, keys?
“What?”
She dangled the toyshop bag in front of her.
“Er, just testing your observation.”
“Girls!” Mum encouraged.

The guests of honour were the last to arrive that meant our being a couple of minutes late was easily overlooked. We did at least get our coats stowed before a car pulling into the car park announced the group from Staffel’s arrival. There was some door noise then Mart backed through the door followed by Miss Rose.

After some initial awkwardness from all parties, the gurgling from the car seat that Mart had brought in created a new focus. I let the others go all gooey; I’d already had my go on Monday.

“You alright, Mart?”
“I guess, look I didn’t want to come but she insisted.”
“No sweat, I think Mr S will have the match on later, you should be able to escape.”
“What’s she hiding, Gabs?”
“Hiding?”
“Look I’m not stupid, I know something’s going on. I mean it’s great to see her and the baby but it’s like she’s distracted all the time.”
“She’s got stuff going on back home,” I told him in a lowered voice.
“Her parents?”
“No, other stuff, I can’t tell you, I don’t know everything.”
His look said he didn’t believe me, “I’ll tell you what I know but not here, school tomorrow.”
“’Kay,” he allowed.
I think I need to talk to Bern again.
“Where’s Gab?” Nena queried from across the room.
“Here.”
“Come on, Gab, what’re you two doing over there?” Steff asked.
“Just chatting about the English mock on Friday.”

Drea for her part seemed unfazed by all the attention, happily gurgling away in her cosy cocoon. Bern certainly seemed a bit more on form than she had on Monday, not her old self but there was certainly some sparkle back. After some initial awkwardness, Mand was right in there with the others cooing over the babe.

Frau Sebenschuh had, as usual done us proud with the food, so okay it was nothing that special or complicated but who doesn’t like a pasta party? Factor in a bunch of hungry teens and what had looked like a veritable mountain of food was soon reduced to some left over sauce and a few strands of linguini. The torte Herr Thesing had sent up would however, have to wait, we were all stuffed.

Mart snuck away at some point to watch the footie, I think it was Köln vs. Bremen but don’t quote me on that. I caught up with Bern when we both headed for the lavs.

“Okay?”
“Yeah, I’d forgotten how much fun we all had last year.”
“Uh huh,” I agreed, “look Bern I think you ought to speak to Mart.”
“I do.”
“I know it’s not my business but he’s quite concerned.”
“What’s he said?”
“Nothing really but I’m sure he’ll be fine if you bring him up to speed, he just feels, I guess, a bit out of the loop you know?”
She looked thoughtful, like she was debating something with herself.
“Yeah, you’re right; I’ll talk to him later.”
“You ready for the bottle?”
“You guys still do that?”
“Of course,” I agreed leading the way back to the Stube.

Pia’s dad ran the guests of honour back up the hill as soon as the football was over just after nine. We had made some inroads into the torte; well in truth the last couple of slices went up to Staffel for the Preiser parents. That left the rest of us to get on with the gossip.

“She’s looking a bit thin,” Bridg suggested.
“Well she was pregnant last time you saw her,” Anna pointed out.
“I still think she looks like she needs a few good dinners,” Bridg went on.
“Says Fraulein Stick,” Steff mentioned.

Bridget is stick thin, she runs a lot but she eats a lot too, bit like me, still she’s right about Bern, she does look quite thin, drawn.

"What do you think, Gabs?” Pia enquired.
“Eh?”
“Bern.”
“Yeah,” I agreed.
“It must be difficult with the baby and school,” Con offered.
“I think she has other stuff going on too,” I added.
“Drea is a happy little thing,” Anna opined.
“Yeah, considering how she arrived,” Nena grinned.
“Hey!” I complained.

Of course Anna has her Mofa now so she didn’t have to wait for a parent taxi.
“You sort out, you know?” I enquired as she kitted up.
“With Mum?”
I nodded.
“Yeah, Mum’s going up to the farm after tomorrow’s class.”
“Tell her thanks from me.”
“It’s what she does, Gab.”
“I know but even so.”
“I’ll tell her. You got a costume for next weekend yet?”
“No idea, everything I think of is like so clichéd.”
“You’re right, there are hardly any decent female sci fi characters, if I think of anything I’ll let you know.”
“Cheers, take care, it looks like it might be a bit frosty.”
“See you soon, ciao!”

Her mount whined away just as Dad arrived for the Dernau taxi – Steff and Con were travelling back with us.

“Enjoy it last night?” I asked Mart when I got into class.
“I guess.”
“I suggested Bern bring you up to speed,” I supplied.
“She did, when we got back last night.”
“So you know everything now?”
He seemed a little distracted.
“Everything okay, Mart?”
“Yeah, yeah fine, yeah she told me everything.”
“Good.”

“What was that all about?” Max queried from behind me.
“Just something we were talking about last night.”
“Last night?”
“He came to our girls’ night.”
“What’s he do that for?”
“He came with Drea and Bern.”
“Who are they?”
“What is this Max, twenty questions?”
“Just interested.”
“Bernie, from England, his girlfriend, Drea’s.”
“Her daughter, I remember.”

“What was that about?” I asked Con beside me.
“That, Gaby Bond, was jealousy!”

Maddy Bell 25.05.16

up
290 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That penny

Podracer's picture

is never going to drop, is it?
And Mart; lots of thinking to do. Here's hoping that love will find a way.

"Reach for the sun."

Teen Romance

Enemyoffun's picture

At this point, the situation could go both ways. She's asking him to take on a lot and at his age too. I know what I'd do and I'm afraid it would not be a popular decision.

Oh boy

I know what I am hoping for Bern but its all Mart's decision now.

Max is jealous? hee hee hee
Is not that a good sign?
Queen;-
"Oh how wrong can you be?
Oh to fall in love was my very first mistake
How was I to know I was far too much in love to see?
Oh jealousy look at me now
Jealousy you got me somehow
You gave me no warning
Took me by surprise
Jealousy you led me on"

Thank you Maddy.

Hi Madness,

I love all things Gaby and will admit to having read ahead a little with my subsequent purchases on Amazon. I do have to ask though...

Are there any more Nena and/or Trixiebell installments on the horizon?! I do love them so too!

Hugs,
Stacy

World of her own

Jamie Lee's picture

Drew was always in his own world, drifting off to one thought or another, missing what someone said or asked him. His world existed of racing racing racing. He wanted to be like Jenny.

Then came the day when his world turned upside down. Due to fainting after a few races, tests were done to discover if something was causing these fainting episodes. Little did the Bonds expect to hear that Drew was actually Gaby, a girl.

At what point in time did Drew or Gaby learn to interpret people's attitudes or the meaning behind questions they asked? What social interaction did Drew have where he actually paid attention to the actions around him? Often if he became bored, he would start thinking about something or fall asleep.

Social cues escape Gaby, just as they escaped Drew. If it wasn't understood, it was ignored. The girls on both side of the Channel have tried explanating things to Gaby. But when their explanation was met with blank expressions, they gave up.

Others have feelings too.