Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 57

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 57
Why the interest? And dah díníilghaazh.

This morning, Amy and I had breakfast with Mr. and Mrs. Fairbrother and talked with them about my two spirits. And they were unquestionably surprised to hear that Kai was a guy and married to Amy. We talked about what they were writing.

Then Amy and I had taken a drive to Taos to see Mr. Yazzie and found out that the two stones that we’d taken out of the hole in the rock were meteorites. Why meteorites?

Later as we were getting ready for the barbecue, Amy had braided both her hair and mine. We’d finished dressing, left the house, and headed to the barbecue.

Something that has always surprised me out here. With the food that we ate that I didn’t gain any weight while we were in New Mexico. Though I wasn’t eating like Tom would, but like Kai would.

As we walked toward the barbecue area, we encountered others walking that way. And one couple was the Fairbrothers, and as we walked up behind them, I said, “I hope you’re hungry.”

Mrs. Fairbrother stopped, turned, looked at us, and started to say, “My … Wait. ... It’s Kai and Ajie.”

I grinned, and said, “Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Fairbrother.”

“Kai and Ajie you surprised me. I didn't know it was you at first and I was just going to comment on your dresses. But you two are just so pretty. And those dresses and jewelry are extraordinary. I’ve seen girls wearing dresses like these before, but you make them look fantastic.”

“Thank you. We like to look our best for the barbecues.”

“Your jewelry looks to be old.”, Mr. Fairbrother said.

“Most of it is old.”, I said. “It was made by my great-great-grandfather.”

“A real artist. A Navajo silversmith. And you do look nice.”

“Thank you.”

We walked together to where my aunt and uncle were standing, and after the greetings, Mrs. Fairbrother asked my aunt, “Ruth, tell me the truth. Isn’t Kai really a girl?”

I saw my aunt smile as she said, “Betty, at times I’m not sure myself. When Kai is here, I feel a girl’s spirit. I see a girl. But I know that there’s a boy under there. I saw Amy and Tom at their wedding. And he was all boy.

“And he’s been Tom a couple of times in the past week or two, and those times I knew that it was the real him and I felt his male spirit.”

“Seeing her dressed as she is now.”, Mr. Fairbrother said. “I see the girl in the picture in the lobby. And Kai, I’d like to take a couple more pictures of you. And maybe you and Ajie together. The way you two are dressed right now just says Navajo.”

I looked at Ajie, and she said, “Honey, it’s up to you.”

I finally agreed. And Ajie and I walked with the Fairbrothers over to an area that had trees and big rocks. First Mr. Fairbrother had Ajie sign a release, and then he proceeded to take some pictures. When we finished, I asked, “Can I ask you two something?”

“Of course.”, Mrs. Fairbrother replied.

“I’m not sensing that either of you is a two spirit person. What is your interest in us? The two spirit people.”

“You’re correct, neither of us is a two spirit person. But our youngest son is. He’s our tribe’s medicine man. We’ve found that there is a lot of misinformation about two spirit people. And decided that we might be able to correct a little bit of it.”

As we walked back to the barbecue, Ajie and I told them about Larry’s paper, the psychology seminar, and what happened afterward. The Fairbrothers couldn’t believe that one academic would attack another one that way. And then admit that they had made a mistake.

And Mrs. Fairbrother said, “Kai, you do stand up for what you believe is right.”

“It’s just something that I feel that I have to do.”, I said.

“Good for you.”, Mr. Fairbrother said. “More people should do that.”

We were back just in time to hear Naainish give the prayer and to get in line for food. Ajie and I were in line with Mr. and Mrs. Fairbrother. I saw Dee, and she saw me, and she started walking towards us. I didn’t want her to come over. So I motioned for her to stay away. She stopped, gave me a puzzled look, then I think she figured out why I did what I did.

We sat, ate, and listened to the singer, drummer, and flutist. And we watched the dancers. Mr. and Mrs. Fairbrother where also watching the dancers and Mrs. Fairbrother commented, “Those girls are excellent. And actually, all of the dancers tonight were very good. I hope they’ll be at the competition tomorrow.”

“What time do things start tomorrow?”, Ajie asked. I think she asked that to change the subject.

“Things start early, but the major things happen after lunch.”

“So if we’re there around eleven we should be fine.”

“Yes. You will be able to see everything. And there’s food vendors and other types of vendors.”

After we had eaten the Fairbrothers excused themselves, saying they had to be up early, so they were going to turn in. We said goodnight to them. And then we started wandering around talking to people.

We talked with a few guests, and then I saw Dee sitting with her friends and eating. Ajie and I walked over to them, and as I sat next to Dee, I said, “Sorry that I could talk earlier.”

Dee looked at me, smiled, and said, “That’s okay, Kai. I remembered that you said that two of the judges were here, and when you motioned me away, I figured that you were with them.”

“Good.”, I said. “They were with us in line.”

“Still coming tomorrow?”

“We wouldn’t miss it. We’re planning on being there around Noon.”

“That will be great. I’m dancing both as a single and with my group.”

“We can’t wait to see the different dances and outfits.”

“There will be a lot of different things. There will be both Navajo and Pueblo dancers.”

“That’ll be fun.”

As we got up, one of the boys said, “Do you still see us doing good tomorrow?”

“Yes.”, I said. “I think that you will. Just don’t let what I’ve said go to your head. You will still have to try your hardest to do your best.”

“We will.”

“I know you will.”

We wished everyone good luck tomorrow. Ajie and I then wandered around listening to the music and talking to people. We finally caught up with my aunt, uncle, and grandmother, and I asked, “Who wants to go to the dance competition with us tomorrow?”

“I’ll go.”, my Aunt Ruth said.

“Me too.”, grandma said.

I looked at Uncle Paul, and said, “What about you, Uncle Paul.”

“Sorry. No.”, Uncle Paul said. “I’ve got things to do around here tomorrow.”

“Okay. Can we bring you anything back?”

“Dah díníilghaazh.”

“Okay, Uncle Paul. You got me on that one. Just what is dah díníilghaazh?”

“Kai, honey.”, Ajie said. “Don’t you remember what dah díníilghaazh is?”

“No.”, I replied. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard it before.”

“You have, and you love it when your mom makes it.”

“I do? Okay. I give. What is it?”

“I think you were too busy eating it when she told us what it was in Navajo. Dah díníilghaazh is frybread.”

“OH! Yum. Frybread.”

“I take it that you like frybread, Kai.”, grandma said.

“More like love it.”, I replied.

“Probably more than she loves me.”, Ajie quipped.

“Ah. … No. But, it comes in a close second.”

Ajie grabbed my hand, and as she pulled me away from the group, she said, “Let's go to the bonfire before you get yourself into trouble.”

Ajie and I walked over to the bonfire. The musicians and singer were already here, as were some of the resort's guests. I looked around for Dee, but then I remembered that the dancers had left early to get some rest for tomorrow. Actually, with the competition tomorrow I was surprised that the dancers were at the barbecue at all.

Naainish walked up to us, and asked, “Kai, do you feel any trouble here tonight?”

“No, Naainish.”, I replied. “I don’t. Everything is good.”

“I’m glad Kai. You deserve things to be good.”

“Thank you.”

“Are you going home soon?”

“Yes. Probably on Monday.”

“I will miss you and Ajie.”

“We will miss everyone out here.”

“It is hard saying goodbye to good friends.”

“Remember we say, hágoónee' (see you later). Goodbye is too permanent.”

“Yes. I remember.”

In her quiet way, Ajie said, “We’re going to miss everyone and everything out here.”

“I understand, Ajie.”, Naainish said. “You have a love for the people and the country. And it’s hard to leave. Just remember that you are always welcome back.

“And, Ajie, also remember that you are part of the Nation. I wish we could make you a member, as I believe that you deserve it, but it requires that you have at least one-quarter Navajo blood.

“One thing that I do know. I know that you will come back to us.”

I saw tears in Ajie’s eyes, as she said, “Naainish. Thank you. You are very special to me. You’ve helped Kai more than you know. And by helping her, you’ve helped me.”

As Ajie hugged Naainish, I heard her say, “Naainish, I’m going to miss you. And we will be back. Hágoónee'.”

I heard Naainish say, “Hágoónee', Ajie. Take care of Kai. But I will probably see you tomorrow at the competition.”

“I’ll take care of Kai. She’s the most important person in the world to me.”

As Naainish turned and walked away, he said, “Hágoónee', Kai doo Ajie.”

Ajie and I said, “Hágoónee', Naainish.” and Ajie added, “See you tomorrow.”

As I looked at Ajie, she still had tears in her eyes. And I said, “Honey, we will be back.”

“I … I know. It just hit me that we’ll be leaving in two days.”

“No. Two and a half days.”

“Yeah. Two and a half days. And I’d love to spend them in that cabin. Alone with you.”

“I know. I feel the same way.”

I took her hand and led her to and up the cliff trail. At the top, we were alone as the sun had set a while ago. I stopped, took her in my arms, and just held her. And she held me. I finally pushed her back so that I could look into those gorgeous blue eyes of hers. Then I said, “Amylin, I can’t express in words how I feel about you. There are no words anywhere that can explain it. I just hope that you can feel the love I have for you. You mean everything to me.”

She didn’t say a word. She didn’t have to. She threw her arms around my neck and kissed me. I pulled her closer. It was a long kiss.

When we broke the kiss, Amy hugged me, and whispered, “Tommy, you are the most special person in the world. And I’m the luckiest person in the world to have you. I couldn’t ask for anything better.”

We just stood there holding each other. I think we could have stood there all night. But finally, we slowly walked, hand-in-hand, back down the cliff trail.

We walked back to the bonfire, and there were still a few people there including my aunt and uncle. My aunt asked, “Where did you two disappear to?”

Amy quietly said, “We just needed some alone time.”

My aunt just smiled. But my uncle, being my uncle, said, “I thought that being at the cabin would have been enough time alone.”

“Uncle Paul. No matter how much time we have alone it’s not enough.”

Then I said, “Good night. I think we’re going to make it an early night.”

“Okay, kids.”, my aunt said. “We’ll see you in the morning.”

Amy and I walked back to the house. As we walked up to the house, Amy said, “Can we sit on the patio?”

“Sure.”, I said. “I’ll start a fire.”

“No.”

“No?”

“I just want to sit and look at all the stars, and the light from the fire will drown out some of the stars.”

“You’ll get cold.”

“Okay. But just a small fire.”

We went to the patio behind my aunt and uncles house, I started a small fire in the fire pit, and we sat on the glider and cuddled. A short time later I saw the lights come on in the kitchen and saw someone look out the window. My aunt and uncle were home.

Ajie and I sat there cuddled together, looking at the stars. Every once in a while I’d point out a constellation. Then Ajie saw a shooting star, and said, “Is that were our stones came from?”

“Something like that. Except ours made it to earth and those probably burned up in the earth's atmosphere.”

“Where do they come from?”

As I pointed up, I said, “Out there.”

“Smarty. I know that.”

“They’re asteroids.”

“Are they all as small as ours?”

“No. Most are much smaller, but there are some that are much bigger.”

I felt her relax, her head was on my shoulder, and her breathing got slower and shallower. I figured that she’d fallen asleep. I looked down at her, and I was right. She was asleep.

It was nice out here. It was quiet, it was warm, and the stars were brilliant. But I figured that I needed to get miss sleepy head to bed. So, I whispered, “Amy. Love. Time to go to bed.”

She didn’t move. So, a little louder, I said, “Amy, honey. Time to go to bed.”

Still nothing. So, I said, “Ajie. Come on sweetheart. Time to go to bed.”

She opened her eyes, smiled, and said, “No. It’s too nice out here.”

“You’re going to get cold.”

“No, I won’t. You’ll keep me warm.”

“Only if we’re in bed together, because I’m going inside.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“Yes, I am. And I’d rather be in bed with you, than by myself.”

“Me too.”

I stood, helped Ajie to her feet, and we walked into the house. My aunt and uncle were sitting in the kitchen. And as we walked in the kitchen door, my aunt said, “I thought you were going to bed early.”

“Me too.”, I said. “But someone decided that we were going to sit on the patio and do some star gazing. What time is it?”

“A little after midnight.”

As Ajie was grabbing my hand, she said, “That late! Good night everyone.”

And as Ajie was pulling me out of the kitchen, I was able to say, “Good night Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul.”

And, I heard my aunt say, “Good night kids.”

I’ll tell you two things and let up fill in the blank. First Ajie wasn’t tired. And second, we didn’t get to sleep until around one in the morning.

Saturday morning, even after getting to sleep late, Amy and I were up early. We didn’t see the Sunrise, but it wasn’t much after that that we were up.

After we dressed, we walked out to the kitchen, and my aunt was just starting breakfast. We took over, after a little debate, making breakfast. As we were eating, my aunt asked, “What are you girls going to wear to the competition?”

“I thought we’d go fancy and wear the Biil dresses.”, I said.

“You may want to rethink that. It’s supposed to be in the mid-eighties today.”

“Oh. The Biil dresses might be too warm. Maybe go with the long skirts and fancy blouses.”

“That would probably be best. Keep it light.”

“What are you going to do this morning?”, my uncle asked.

“I think laundry.”, I replied. “And I want to check over the car for the drive home.”

“That’s right. When are you planning on leaving?”

“I’m thinking Monday.”

“Never.”, I heard Amy mumble.

I think my aunt heard Amy. She didn’t say anything but looked at her.

“If you need anything for the car.”, my uncle said. “Go see Francisco at the service building. He’s a mechanic and will have what you need.”

“Thanks, Uncle Paul.”, I said. “I’ve been checking everything when I get gas, so all the fluids should be good. I may pick up a couple of quarts of oil to take along just in case.”

After finishing breakfast and cleaning up, Amy and I started our laundry. And she even went out with me to go over the car. She just watched as I did things under the hood, and checked all five tires. Yes, I checked the spare too.

As I was wiping off the oil dipstick, I said, “Honey. I know that you love it out here. So do I, but we have a lot of time into our degrees. Once we graduate and you have your registered nurse’s license, we can weigh our options.”

“I know.”, Amy said. “And I know if I have my nursing license, I can do more good.”

“We also need to look at your masters. If you still want to do it?”

“I do. If I have that, I could do more good by teaching.”

“With your love for nursing, I just know that you will be a great teacher.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

She kissed me, and I got oil all over her blouse. Luckily it wasn’t one of her good ones. When I told her, she didn’t get mad, but said, “It’s worth it for one of your kisses. I’ll ask Aunt Ruth how to get it out.”

As I finished with the car, Amy went back into the house. Just as I was closing the car’s hood, my uncle walked up, and as he handed me a bag, he said, “Here, Kai. Here’s two quarts of oil and an oil can spout.”

I took the bag, looked inside, and said, “Thanks, Uncle Paul.”

I put the bag in the trunk and walked into the house with my uncle. When I saw Amy, she was wearing a different blouse, and said, “Aunt Ruth said that she could get the oil out of my blouse.”

My uncle quipped, “What did you do, Kai. Make Amy do an oil change.”

I just looked at him and shook my head.

Amy and I then went back to our room to change for the trip to Taos. Shortly after we’d closed the door to our room, there was a soft knock, and my aunt said, “Kids, can I come in.”

“Sure, Aunt Ruth.”

Aunt Ruth opened the door and walked in carrying a pair of wrap moccasins. Then she said, “Amy. Honey. Would you like to borrow these?”

“Oh. Yes, Aunt Ruth.”, Amy said. “I’d love to. Thank you.”

After Aunt Ruth left, Amy and I undressed. Then Amy looked at my hair and decided to leave my hair with the two braids. I had removed all the fancy stuff last night. Amy put a fancy wrap at the end of each of my braids, which still hung over my shoulders in front. Then she took the braided leather headband with the two feathers and placed that on my head. She stood back, looked at me, smiled, and said, “Yes. That is a great look for you. Go and do your makeup while I fix the wig.”

As I’ve always done, I used very little makeup. A light coating of foundation, a few light strokes of an eyebrow pencil. A light coating of dark mascara on my blond eyelashes. No eyeshadow. And a light coat of pink lipstick.

When I finished, I looked at Amy, or now Ajie, and she’d taken the braid out of the wig and brushed it into a straight look. Then she put on one of the beaded headbands. Her makeup was also very light. And with her Sun tanned skin, she looked wonderful.

We both put on the wrap moccasins and then slipped into long fancy skirts and fancy blouses. Amy was in all blue. I wore a blue velvet skirt and a fancy white blouse. Both of us wore our Concho belts. Amy, as she liked to do, wore the beaded choker, and I wore my bone choker with the Concho. We added the usual rings and bracelets. And as a final touch, we added the matching silver feather earrings.

We looked at each other, and both smiled. Then Ajie said, “Kai, love. You look fantastic.”

I grinned, and said, “So do you, lover.”

We walked out to the living room, my aunt and grandma were there waiting for us. Both of them were also in long skirts and blouses and looked nice. Grandma looked at us, smiled, and said, “Girls, are you sure that you both aren’t native girls.”

As my aunt turned and looked at us, she also smiled, then said, “They are pretty, aren’t they mom.”, my aunt said.

“Very.”

“So are both of you.”, I said.

“What in this old thing.”, grandma said.

“Grandma, … Oh. Never mind. I’d lose the argument.”

“Yes, you will granddaughter. And I thought we’d take my car.”

“Why?”, I asked.

“Because it needs to be driven.”

“Okay, grandma. But I drive.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Image icon Frybreab.jpg48.14 KB
Image icon Top-and-skirt.jpg54.13 KB
Image icon Skirt.jpg147.89 KB
up
303 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think Aije needs to re-evaluate

Monique S's picture

Her plans for her masters. May be going to Arizona for it is the better option after all.

Monique S

?

Beoca's picture

I think you mean New Mexico?

Hi Monique S.,

Hi Monique S.,

Interesting thought. But she is probably going to be given a full ride scholarship at her current university.

Teddie S.

Are we sure?

Beoca's picture

Even I'm starting to get mildly skeptical about Ajie having no tribal blood in her. She connects so much, was able to make it to the stones, it just seems like it would make too much sense.

Are we sure, Beoca? Are we

Are we sure, Beoca? Are we ever sure about our couple? I'm not, so you shouldn't be either. ;-)

Let's be honest here

Beoca's picture

Even if you were sure, you'd never say it outside of a PM and probably not even then (just based on how authors are in general, not on you specifically). For that reason, you saying that you are not sure doesn't mean very much.

Time to make some dah

Time to make some dah díníilghaazh.

Dancing

I hope there will be some description of the dancing.

Pentatonic

With as different and complex

With the many different Native American dances and complexity of some of the dances, it would take a lot of verbiage to describe it. So, when I was working on the next chapter I decided to not go into detail. If you'd like to see some, try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Go_aVsafDw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimlfusewec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJFf7lHVmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F636qZjdPQ

Glad you took a look,

Glad you took a look, Pentatonic. Some of the dances can be very elaborate.

Time to root for Dee in the contest

I hope Kai's relationship with the judges and Dee doesn't cause accusations of favoritism. Kai has been meticulously careful to not influence the Fairbrothers.

Indian Taco

Teek's picture

Oh how I miss Indian tacos. Before I left my time on a Native American Reservation I got a good recipe for frybread.

Thanks for the great story.

Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Thanks for the nice comments,

Thanks for the nice comments, Teek. Care to share the recipe?

Teddie

Feel of belonging

Jamie Lee's picture

Amy is having a hard time with knowing they must leave for home come Monday. For her, leaving would not be an option would they not have school.

Amy feels a connection with not only the location but the people as well. So going back is that much harder.

If a person listens, they can feel if it's right to be here or there, make their lives here or there. Some have the chance to choose where they live, most do not. For those who must live where they don't wish, their lives might not be as full as it might. And sometimes it no longer becomes tolerable to live there and they decide to choose between a happy life and a secure life.

When Tom and Amy return home for school, both will be extremely homesick and sad until the time they can return to what has become their true home. A true home which seems to have accepted them with open arms.

Others have feelings too.