The Voyage of the Visund -5-

Printer-friendly version

The morning dawns as the Visund takes on a new passenger. At their next stop, the town market must be inspected to find clothing and footwear for the mystery woman, who is offered a temporary name. Eriana is introduced to the afternoon nap and asked to design... trousers?

grakh

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

5 - First Steps and Stitches


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2018 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Maralin stood and stretched, getting the kinks out of his muscles. He had slept on enough hard ground by now that the night's camp had been nothing exceptional... if one ignored the nocturnal interruptions that had happened. He looked around, noting that most of the Norse had already risen and were packing their bags ready to embark again, then remembered what had happened late the previous afternoon.

At that moment Eriana walked around the side of the women's separate shelter with a somewhat strained expression. Maralin walked over to greet her with a bow.

"Good morning, Your Highness."

"Aye," she replied shortly. "Maralin, we need no Highnessing today. Name me Captain only if you would."

"Of course, Captain." He eyed her sympathetically. "Bad night?"

"You know it was! First, there was the alarm when the lookouts spied lights upon the river..."

"Aye. How could I have ignored that? The whole camp was roused, it was lucky nobody got cut waving their swords around in the dark."

She gave him a faint smile. "Aye, such things have happened in the past, and these are supposed to be trained men! Then the pilot told us it was probably some local men fishing with lights."

"As you say. Still at least it proved that the lookouts were doing their jobs."

"Aye... Then, just when I had dropped off to a deep slumber, our... guest woke and said she needed to use the latrine. Not in exactly those words, of course. It was hard enough for us to understand her accent as it was, and she did not know how to describe what she wanted."

"Hmm. When I first met Garia we talked about what we were like when we first arrived. It seems we both had distinct accents that faded over a month or two. Many thought that I came from some plains to the deep south and that my accent was from there, but by the time that we retook Joth it had all gone and nobody can tell now that I'm not a Jothan born. Perhaps the same thing will happen to her, that her accent will fade in time."

"I pray to the Gods that it does, Maralin, else we will have trouble understanding her needs."

"Agreed! So, what happened next? I heard a lot of noise but our shelter was too crowded for many to go and find out what was going on."

"Aye... We made our way to the latrine, our guest, myself and Semma to help, and she did not know what to do! We were fortunate that some instinct made her crouch at the right moment, otherwise the dress would have been soiled, and we have no other she may use."

Maralin grimaced. "Clothing is going to be a problem, isn't it? It looks like you'll... we'll, if you'll have me, will have to make a lot of purchases in the next market we come to."

"As you say! She has no bra, bodice, panties, footwear nor any other suitable attire, nor have any of us spares she may wear. We must needs provide her with all that a traveling woman should possess, I deem."

"Aye, and that will be more than just clothes, I'm guessing."

"Aye." Eriana paused, her expression changing before she resumed her tale. "Then, once she had done what was needful at the latrine, she tripped over a root in the dark and fell into the scrub, pulling me down with her. Look!" She exposed the back of her left arm. "I have scratches all down here and no doubt bruises to follow. To make the whole night perfect, then, we settled her down again and tried to go to sleep ourselves, but I found that I was lying on a root, or mayhap some of the buried debris that forms this little island. I did not have a comfortable night."

By this point they had been joined by a yawning Wallesan. "I myself have slept better, Eriana. When we reach Joth you shall have the comfort of an honored guest's bed in my home. Until then," he shrugged, "we must accept whatever beds we may find for each night, as any traveler must."

"Wallesan, good morrow to you. We were discussing the night's events."

"As I heard. If you feel that your funds may not cover her expenses, Eriana, I will provide. I feel we have some joint responsibility in this matter."

"Indeed, and thank you for your offer, Your Grace. She shall not cost us so much, yet of course I have no idea how much our further adventures may stretch our funds."

"As you say, though I did hear Robanar tell you that you could draw coin from any of the Residencies upriver if you have problems."

"We have not reached that sorry state yet, Wallesan." She smirked. "If we find ourselves in desperate need of food or coin, we can always sack a nearby village."

She grinned at the shocked looks on their faces before they realized that she was joking - they hoped.

"Now," she resumed, "is there aught to drink on this lump of mud? If I am to drive my crew against the Sirrel, I must needs have my wits about me."

Maralin turned, his gaze finding Adin and some helpers around the fires. "High- ah, Captain, it looks like Adin has breakfast under way. I do not yet know if it is ready or not, since of course he would have to boil the water first."

Bennet appeared from the women's shelter. "Captain, she is awake."

"Ah, thank you, Bennet. If you would see if Adin has pel ready yet. When it is ready, bring some for our guest."

"As you command, Captain."

Eriana looked at Wallesan and Maralin. "Come, you two, it is time we introduced ourselves properly."

The three walked around the end of the side awning of the shelter to find Semma squatting in front of the woman, who was half-lying on a blanket. The guardswoman rose as soon as she saw who had entered. Eriana took her place, with Wallesan sitting beside her and Maralin standing behind.

Her hair was dark, Maralin saw, but not the black typical of people from the far east. The face was round and pleasant enough, but not strikingly beautiful nor especially without beauty. Someone anonymous, in other words.

I do not know what to think about the rest of her, Maralin decided. The body is too new and she will not even have seen it herself. She has eyes that have never seen and muscles that are still unfamiliar. Once her memory has returned and she has begun living here, she could end up looking somewhat different than she does now.

"Good morning to you," Eriana said softly. "How do you feel today?"

"I think I slept well, thank you, after I had been to that place," she replied, apparently referring to the nocturnal latrine visit. Her voice was light and steady, but understandable even with a strong accent. She frowned. "I have a slight headache, that is all. What has happened? Where am I?"

Wallesan answered her, "That is a very good question, Mistress, but you may find the answers do not satisfy you, not yet, anyway. Firstly, we shall briefly introduce ourselves. I am Wallesan, this is Eriana, he is Maralin and she is Semma. Do you know your own name?"

"My name? Why it is..." Their guest frowned again, confused. "I do not know! I cannot tell you... Sir?"

Wallesan nodded. "We all have titles, but to provide those now would merely confuse you. Put simply, we are travelers on a great river, we discovered you on a small sandbank late yesterday and rescued you. It seems that you may have suffered an accident, you may have lost your memory, there are others who have been found the same way."

Eriana added, "We will take care of you, Mistress, until your memory returns and you may then decide what you must needs do. For now," she gave a reassuring smile, "there is breakfast and then we must be on our way again. We shall sail to a nearby port and endeavor to provide you that which you most lack - the attire and equipment of travelers like ourselves."

"Oh!" The woman fingered her dress. "I only have this, then? What happened to the other things I must have had with me? Was there anything?"

Maralin spoke. "Mistress, when we found you, you had very little with you and what you did have was badly," he thought carefully, "...torn. The dress you are wearing has been donated by Bennet until we may find you something of your own. There are four women, including you, who must sail with a crew of around thirty men. Though the men are all sworn to either Eriana or Wallesan it will be safer if we provide you with clothes that fit and are intact."

"Oh. Sworn?" The woman seemed confused again. "But... Of course, if you are on a boat, then..." She looked up at Maralin, her brown eyes seeking reassurance. "If you say so. What is this place, and where are we?"

He answered, "We are on a small island in the river Sirrel, a little larger than the sandbank we found you on. We are sailing upriver to return Wallesan and myself to our home some distance away. Eriana is the captain of the ship, Semma one of her companions." He let out a breath. "As to exactly where we are, we could tell you but until your memory returns you will not understand the answer."

"Oh. You are probably right."

Wallesan said, "I'm wondering what we should call you, Mistress. It may be some days before you get your memory back and there must needs be something other than 'Mistress' to name you. You could be mistaken for another if we just used a title."

"I understand that," the woman agreed, "but I do not know what name I could use. I must know names, I would think, but I cannot remember any at all, not even my own."

"Do not concern yourself, Mistress. That is to be expected in a situation like yours. Maralin, perhaps you could suggest something."

Maralin thought briefly and then had an idea. "I have a suggestion... Wallesan... but what I have in mind isn't a Valley name, any more than mine is. As she comes from somewhere else entirely, it could be considered appropriate."

"Why not? What name have you, then?"

"Ursula. Do you remember, last night we spoke of bears? I think Ursula might be the... Chivan... word for a bear."

"Hah!" Eriana was surprised. "Now that is a name from the old sagas, I deem! I doubt there is anyone in Einnland who knew what manner of beast Ursula was, not after all this time. It is as well that you explained bears to us last night."

"What say you, my dear?" Wallesan turned to the woman. "Shall we name you Ursula, just for these few days?"

"If you say so... My Lord? It sounds like a good name, a strong name."

"Why do you call me My Lord?"

"I thought I heard that man," she pointed to Maralin, "call you Your Grace just now."

"It is true. I am a Duke, the ruler of the land we are traveling towards. Eriana, though she is the owner and captain of her ship, is also the daughter of a King and therefore a Princess, though we do not need to name her thus during our journey."

"Oh. This is all very interesting. And confusing. Do the rulers of this land always travel by ship, then?"

"Now that is one of those questions that would take us a long time to answer, Mistress Ursula. Normally, we use a trade road which runs through the Great Valley we are in. There are other reasons why we used a ship this time."

The woman shifted, discomfort clearly showing. "Um, Eriana... I think I have to go to that place again."

"The latrine? Of course. If I may help you to stand."

The woman stood, automatically smoothing down the skirt of her dress, before following Eriana out of the shelter. The others followed. There was an immediate silence as the men saw her clearly for the first time and just as automatically appraised her. There were one or two low whistles but they were quickly shushed. Eriana took her past the big shelter and towards the downstream end of the island, Semma following to help.

"It looks as if you were right," Wallesan murmured to Maralin. "Do you think we will be back in Joth in five days? I deem it would be better if her memory returned in some some place of safety."

"I couldn't agree more, Your Grace. On the ship I don't think there will be much trouble, but there are all those inconvenient places we have to stop at along the way. Where are we?" Maralin turned to face east, then west. "Brugan is that side and Virgulend to the west, is that right?"

Wallesan nodded. "Aye, that is so. We must needs sail right around Virgulend, spending at least another night somewhere, before we come to Smordan. Then around most of Smordan before we reach Joth." The Duke considered, nodding. "Two days, perhaps three. It seems we have a margin."

"Provided there are no complications at the ports we have to use," Maralin added darkly. He looked around for Prell and Kalmenar, not knowing which of them might prove the more awkward.

"She shall officially travel as my ward," Wallesan decided. "That will remove any temptation by our pilot and official helper to interfere. Once matters have resolved themselves, she may decide her own fate."

Maralin snorted. "'Official helper', indeed. As you say, Your Grace. If I may suggest, we should find a chamber at this next port we're coming to, to all sit down and make sure everyone knows what is going to happen."

The Duke turned. "A sensible suggestion, Maralin."

Bennet approached holding two steaming mugs. "Your Grace, Tenant, pel for you both."

"Ah! My thanks to you, Bennet. What of breakfast?"

"It is almost ready, Your Grace. Grain porridge, cheese and dried fruit, so Adin tells me. He regrets that we ate all the bread last night."

"Aye, the crew was hungry after yesterday's great pull."

Whatever she had been about to add was lost as Eriana, Semma and the woman appeared at the side of the larger shelter, now just a bare awning. The Princess held up a hand.

"Your attention, men!"

Everybody stopped what they were doing and turned, the noise levels falling completely away. Her crew knew that information would be forthcoming and they were not disappointed. Eriana placed a hand on the woman's shoulder.

"If I may introduce our new passenger," she began. "Despite the state of her attire when we found her, she does not appear to have any injuries at all, at least nothing that is visible on her skin. Unfortunately, whatever caused her to be left where she was found has made her lose her memory. Maralin has knowledge of others found in the same way and he tells us that her memory may return after four or five days or so. He has offered a temporary name of Ursula, and she has agreed to use it until we learn otherwise."

There were several murmurs of approval from among the crowd. Whoever and whatever the name Ursula had been attached to in the Einnland sagas, it was evidently a good choice.

Eriana continued, "Since that is so, she will remain in our care until such time as she regains her wits and may make her own decisions. That means -" she cast a fierce glance at Prell and Kalmenar, "- that she must needs remain with the Visund, probably until we reach Joth. That also means that we must needs spend some time at our next stop for us to find clothing, footwear and the other requirements of any traveling woman, since she has nothing with her that may be of any use."

She shrugged. "That will probably cost us a day of travel, but then," she showed them her teeth, "we were not going anywhere in a hurry, were we? Now, I have no need to remind you that she is traveling under my protection and, because she presently has no knowledge of Valley customs and practices, she is extremely vulnerable. Treat her gently, as you would any other woman in trouble. I am certain that His Grace will vouch the like for his own party."

She finished with, "Come, let us make ourselves ready to eat. The water of the Sirrel may not be safe to drink, but I will at least rinse my hands in it before I wield a spoon."

* * *

Ormund and Folke jumped onto the pontoon, each holding a mooring rope. They each wrapped a turn around a nearby bollard and hauled, making sure that the Visund was closely docked alongside, before looping the ropes over the bollards. On board, the rest of the crew made the ship tidy and secure. It was about mid morning.

"Do you need any help?" Maralin asked Adin as they prepared to climb off.

The ship's cook smiled back. "I already have helpers, Maralin. What did you have in mind?"

"Oh, I don't want to interfere with what you do, but I did have one or two ideas about how to make the meals a little... more interesting to eat. The plain fish we ate last night tasted better than I expected, but there are herbs and spices which would have made it into a different kind of meal."

Adin's smile vanished. "I've been wondering about that. What we ate was the kind of meal we usually have when we are at sea, but of course things are going to be different on this great river. The fish will be new to me, to begin with. I do not know how to prepare or cook them or even what they taste like."

"From what I know river fish in general have a more subtle flavor than fish from the sea, so you'll have to treat them more carefully. But that wasn't all I meant. In the Great Valley, you'll be as likely to be eating meat as you will fish and our fruits and vegetables will of course be different than what you are used to. The herbs and spices I have found here will doubtless be different than those you are familiar with."

The little cook nodded as they followed the others along the pontoon in the direction of the hostel.

"You have experience of the food these people cook? Then I will take your advice, Maralin. At sea the diet is limited but we are not at sea any more, are we? Anyone who cooks for others naturally seeks to learn more, and so do I."

Maralin held up a finger. "As you say, but first I have other duties to attend to. I have to visit the Messenger office here and then advise Her Highness about cloth for some future projects. I will find you in the market place when I have finished doing those tasks."

Adin gave a single nod. "As you wish, Maralin. To begin with, I underestimated our bread yesterday and we must needs top up our cheese, fruit and fresh water supplies, so I also have much to do. We will meet later, then."

Maralin caught up with Wallesan and the women in due course. The Duke had been explaining to the woman how the little ferry port functioned.

"Oh." She paused to think as they walked along. "What are we going to be doing in this place, then? Does it have a name?"

Maralin replied, "West Haral, Mistress. It is just a small town on the river where the trade road crosses by means of the ferry. There is another on the other bank called... Pendigo. As to what we are doing, I would guess that you will first be taken to the bathing block in the hostel with the others, to clean yourselves up, and then to the market to find you some clothes to wear."

Eriana nodded. "Maralin has the right of it."

The woman asked, "You're doing this for me?"

"We-ll, yes and no." Maralin smiled at his use of Garia's phrase. "If we had not found you yesterday, we would have overnighted here before sailing onwards. We would have stopped here anyway for fresh provisions and to do all the other things a ship on the river has to do. But, because you are here, we'll just be stopping a little longer, that is all."

"Ah. I understand. What was that name again?"

"Name? Ursula, you mean? Or West Haral?"

"Ursula." She considered. "I wonder what my name really is. If I do not find out, I think Ursula will be good enough to keep."

Eriana tucked her hand under the woman's arm. "Then, Ursula, let us turn towards those buildings and we shall introduce you to the delights of social bathing."

"But first, Captain," Wallesan said, "I would speak with you, our pilot and Lord Kalmenar if some suitable chamber may be found within."

"As you wish, Your Grace. If I may ask Lars and Tor Magnusson to join us, as representatives of the crew."

"That would be a sensible idea, Captain. Let us proceed, then."

The hostel did indeed have a chamber they could borrow for half a bell or so.

"Ursula, if you would remain outside with Bennet and Semma for a moment. We will ask you all to come in presently."

The woman looked at Eriana. "Of course, Captain."

Inside, the group didn't bother with table and chairs. Wallesan opened the meeting.

"Lord Kalmenar, Master Prell, have you considered further what we spoke of last night?"

Kalmenar paused to consider his response so Prell replied, "Your Grace, the matters you and Tenant Maralin spoke of are beyond my experience. I only suggested that you surrender... Mistress Ursula... to the local authorities since that is what is customarily done. Having now thought about the clothing she wore and the items she carried, it is clear to me that you have knowledge of such matters that I do not. I will abide by your decision and so far as I am concerned, will treat her as if she were another passenger, simply taken on board sometime during our passage from Terban."

Wallesan gave a brief nod. "I thank you for your trust, Master Prell. You should not have cause to regret your decision."

Kalmenar then responded, "Your Highness, Your Grace, there is much about yesterday's events that disturbs me still. The torn and bloody attire yet untouched body, talk of men changing into women... As Master Prell has said, you spoke of matters of which I know little and understand less. I am forced to agree that, until we reach Joth, or until her memory returns, you should proceed in the manner you proposed last night. You will excuse me if I still find fantastic your description of her origins and that of... Tenant Maralin."

Wallesan nodded to Prell then turned to Kalmenar. "My Lord, it could be no other way, unfortunately. Tenant Maralin and I possess certain knowledge. We may tell you certain parts of that knowledge, some we may not tell anyone and some we are oath-bound not to reveal, though it might help explain matters." The Duke spread his hands. "I'm sure that you have encountered similar situations in your previous dealings, My Lord. I cannot believe that His Majesty would send someone with Her Highness who did not have at least some experience of the world beyond Palarand."

"Aye, Your Grace, that is true, but you spoke last night of worlds beyond Anmar, not Palarand. You may understand my caution."

"I do, My Lord, since I expressed that same caution myself, when certain facts were revealed to me. Now, I shall tell you both that I will take Mistress Ursula as my ward, for the voyage to Joth and afterward, if it be needful, until her memory returns. Once that happens she may make her own decisions as to where she goes, who she goes with and what she intends to do with her life. We may offer advice but that is all. This is what Robanar did with Princess Garia when she arrived at his palace and what I did with Maralin when he met me for the first time."

Eriana stirred. "I have already told the men that she shall be my charge, Wallesan. I do not mind -"

He held up a hand. "On board ship, Highness, I have no problem with your decision, as you are the Captain. Even here, I do not think it a matter to disagree over. I merely intend to ensure that somebody guards and guides this woman until her memory returns."

Eriana nodded. "That is all I desired, Wallesan. Shall we ask her in?"

"Unless anyone else has something to say? Tor? Lars?"

Tor bowed and said, "This is a wise decision, Captain. There will be no problem from the crew."

Lars added, "Yah. If our swords are needed to defend this woman, there we will be."

Eriana turned to Maralin. "If you would ask the others to enter, please."

The three women entered and the decision was explained to them.

Ursula replied, "Your Highness, Your Grace, thank you for your kindness. I do not know who I am or where I am or even what I am. Nothing I have seen today makes sense to me. It is clear that, without help, I could be in some danger, though I do not know what kinds of danger may be around us."

"Indeed, Mistress," Wallesan said. "It may be difficult for you to trust us, who appear strangers, but we have experience of others who have suffered the same as what befell you. Maralin came to us the same way, some months past."

She turned to study Maralin more sharply, but her gaze relaxed almost immediately. "If you say so, Your Grace."

Eriana said, "Good. If that is all, then we women have an appointment in the bath house. Do you bathe, Wallesan?"

The Duke looked at Maralin, who replied, "If we had stayed the night, Highness, then we would already have bathed by now. Since it is so late, I think it might be better to wait until evening and then wash the sweat of the afternoon off us before the evening meal."

Eriana rolled her eyes. "As you wish, Maralin. Ursula, Bennet, Semma, come." As she went through the doorway those remaining heard a muttered, "Men!"

* * *

When Maralin found Adin later in the market square he was with Ragnar, who was pushing a two-wheeled handcart. On the cart were four kegs and a barrel.

"Hey, Maralin! It looks like you have been busy!"

"Aye, that I have. It looks like I have some work to do once we find a bell or two of leisure time."

"Do you want to put that on the cart? Ragnar is about to take this lot back to the ship while I collect the bread I ordered."

That was a bolt of undyed cloth which Maralin had found on a tailor's stall and talked the proprietor into selling to him whole. He held it under one arm, but it had been necessary to use both hands.

"Aye... it is heavy! The only thing is that it shouldn't get wet at all. Have we some kind of bag to put it in? I doubt we'll be able to make anything with it today."

Adin switched to Norse. «As you say! We probably have a dunnage bag large enough to take it, somewhere on board. Ragnar, if you could find such a bag for Maralin. If we have no spares, tell me when you come back to return the cart and we can doubtless find something suitable in the market here.»

«I will do so, Adin,» Ragnar replied. «Where will you be? At that baker's?»

«Probably not immediately. Now Maralin is here, he can show me all those herbs and spices he was talking about before. If you cannot find us, go to the baker's and wait for us. We still have to collect the bread.»

"Yah."

With the bolt carefully laid across the kegs, Ragnar made off towards the jetties.

Maralin asked, "What was in those barrels?"

"The kegs were of small beer and the larger barrel has some kind of cured meat." Adin frowned. "I asked for the barrel to be opened and what was inside seemed good enough, but perhaps I ought to have asked you to look as well, before Ragnar went off. There could have been a good layer on top and bad underneath. I have been caught out before."

"It is always a problem when you buy food like that. I know, it happened occasionally back home in Shicargo." He gave Adin a twisted grin. "If my father ever found any like that, he sent the boys round to remind the supplier to stay honest. The boys were great persuaders, believe me."

"Oh? Did they have swords, then?"

The grin was more serious, now. "Not swords, no. You know I came from Earth, don't you? Everybody had guns. You didn't mess about where guns were concerned."

"Oh, as you say. Did you have a gun, then?"

The grin vanished. "No. Remember, back then I wasn't one of the boys. Some of the girls carried handguns, it is true, but only for personal protection. More fool me, I relied on the men to look after me and they did not."

"Ah. Perhaps this is not a good thing to speak of? Let's look at the produce for sale, then. I noticed a stall along there that had what I would call herbs, though you may disagree. Shall we go and look?"

"As you wish. I noticed at least two stalls as I walked through but they are at opposite ends of the market. That one first, then. It is furthest from the river."

Further along the market, Ursula was staring at Eriana. "I need how many?"

"Eight at the very least, Ursula. If we can find ten, I would take ten. When we are traveling as we are on the water, it can be difficult to wash our underwear at times."

"Listen to her, Mistress," the stall holder said. "You may be surrounded by water but it is not very clean, and then you have the problem of drying your things once they are washed." The woman turned to Eriana. "When does Kalikan call for her, My Lady?"

This question caught Eriana by surprise, and without Maralin nearby to give advice she could not guess when it would come. As she would have known the dates for all her 'attendants', she had to think quickly.

"Ah, it is not for two weeks yet, I deem. By that time we should have reached the end of our voyage... but if you are suggesting some tie-sides, then aye, that would be a useful standby if we cannot do laundry."

"Here are two of a suitable size, My Lady, and I will offer them at the same price as the other panties. Will there be anything else? I have some thin summer weight tights of the same size and of about the right leg length."

Eriana thought. Nobody would be wearing tights on board, not once Maralin's tunic-dresses had been sewn, but there were always nights ashore...

"Aye, I will take two pairs, then, for special occasions."

As they exchanged coin and purchases the stall holder remarked, "I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, Mistress. To have damaged all your clothing like that -" she shook her head. "It is good news for such as myself, who sells such attire, but no woman wants to lose items that she may have become fond of. Do you not agree?"

Ursula nodded hesitantly. "I do agree, Mistress. Unfortunately, it seems that I have also lost my memory in the... accident, or whatever it was that happened."

To forestall awkward questions Eriana put in quickly, "Our healer tells us she should recover her memory in a few days, Mistress, so all is not lost. We are thankful that the circumstances were not worse."

The woman's eyes widened. "Maker! I am sorry to hear that!" She turned to the woman. "You have my best wishes for a full recovery, Mistress."

"Thank you, Mistress."

The woman beamed. "So, I have provided you as befits a traveling woman, then. Do you have need of shoes or boots? I know that sometimes the river folk go barefoot on board, but you will not be on board all the time."

Ursula looked at Eriana, who responded, "Aye, she will, she has only these borrowed sandals for today's trip to the market. What may you offer? I see no footwear on your stall."

"No, indeed, My Lady! I am no cobbler, only a seamstress when I am not selling items at this market. Yonder is Joran, he can provide ready-made boots, shoes, slippers and sandals, assuming any will fit, or if you are not departing here for a day or two then old Klibben at the far end can make footwear of such a quality even you would wear them, My Lady."

"Hmm. Our journey is not so urgent, I deem," Eriana replied. "I will visit both of those at your recommendation."

The woman bowed. "Glad to have been of service, My Lady."

As they walked away Bennet said, "Would you really stay here long enough for someone to make boots, My Lady?"

"No, indeed, Bennet. We must needs arrive in Joth before Ursula's memory returns, that she may have a safe place to recover her wits." Eriana added, "But I have learned that it is sometimes a good idea to leave someone with a thought that they may have helped, even when they cannot."

Bennet considered. "If I may speak freely, My Lady?"

"Of course! You are no thralls of mine but companions, women who must needs face the world together. What is your thought?"

"I - I was in the palace when you arrived, Highness," Bennet spoke cautiously, but used Eriana's proper title to underline what she was saying. "You are so different now to the person you were then."

"Aye!" Eriana barked a short laugh. "I wonder that I survived my first meeting with the King, I deem. I was young and foolish then, I am certainly a different woman now." Her expression sobered. "Garia showed me a better way, as she showed so many others, and our expedition to Boldan's Rock showed me the reality of life in a way that I had not known in my father's house." She looked at Bennet. "I regret that I do not have the instincts of a normal woman, though I have the body of one. All that I know I have learned, sometimes painfully, from others."

"You have our sympathies, Highness. If we may do anything to help -"

"Did I not say we were women together? Of course I will listen to your counsel, yours and that of Semma." She scowled. "Kalmenar, though, he is a different matter. Enough of him for now, ladies, here is our maker of footwear."

* * *

When Maralin eventually returned to the hostel area for lunch, everybody else had already arrived, though not all been back to the Visund to deposit purchases. Some of the crew had bags and packages by their feet, the largest accumulation being by the side of Adin, for obvious reasons. Maralin also noted that everybody else had taken advantage of the bathing facilities and were now clean, dry and ready for whatever came next, which made him wonder if he had made the right decision earlier.

Wallesan beckoned him over to a table which had the four women, himself, Prell and Kalmenar around it. Ursula was now dressed in a thin summer weight gown similar to Bennet's and her hair had been washed, trimmed and shaped. Semma also had a summer weight gown, both gowns being obtained earlier in the market. He took the last seat and signaled for one of the waiting girls to take his order.

The Duke asked, "Any mail for me this time?"

"Aye, Your Grace, three packages, though one is much fatter than the others. All appear to have come from Joth, nothing has chased us from Palarand yet."

Wallesan nodded. "Probably a wise move. They are still talking in Dekarran, I'd guess, and will wait until they receive notice from us that we have arrived home safely. Ah, the girl approaches. I'll let you order before saying anything more. Here we are but travelers."

The girl took Maralin's lunch order and left. Maralin asked Eriana, "Captain, if I may ask, what are our plans for leaving?"

She shrugged. "There are some minor matters which must needs be attended to before we leave, Maralin. I would ask the pilot for his advice."

Prell put down his tankard of small beer. "Captain, to depart immediately after lunch may be awkward."

"Oh?"

"Aye, Captain. You will forgive me, I know that you and most of your crew are not of the Valley, so I do not know what customs you have. Here, once Spring Dawning has passed, the weather can become hot during the afternoon and it is customary for all to rest for a bell, or maybe two, until the heat has passed. If we were to do that and then depart afterwards, we would not reach the next ferry hostel before dark. We would have to find a small village along the river, or maybe even camp again as we did last night."

"Rest? What mean you?"

Wallesan explained, "A nap, Eriana. Of course, you came to Palarand late last year, did you not? The weather by then would have cooled enough that most will have ceased napping for the winter. And, I'm guessing, the lands of your birth are sufficiently cooler that there would be little need for a nap during summer."

Eriana was surprised. "Is that so? Aye, you are right, in Einnland there was no such custom. And, in truth, the heat of a day like today is like few we would have enjoyed so far south." She looked pensive. "Aye, I deem it would be as well if we remained here today, then. What is the custom, pilot? Do we nap on board our vessels?"

"Captain, if you and your men did so then they would likely be burned by the sun as they slept, since there is little shade on a ship like yours. No, we may make use of the hostel, which only makes sense as we would be sleeping there tonight, should you choose not to depart today."

She nodded. "As you say. That will be convenient for us, since it gives me a chance to speak with Maralin about... summer attire. Tell me, pilot, may we hire a chamber in this hostel for a bell or two? With a table and chairs?"

"Of course, Captain, as we did before lunch. Many travelers have the need to do the like."

"And then we may leave, I assume, after breakfast tomorrow."

"As you say, Captain. That will give your ship plenty of time to reach Treen, the Virgulend port on the Virgulend to Smordan ferry for your next stop. The following day you should reach Joth during the afternoon."

"The afternoon..." Eriana's eye narrowed. "But you have just told me that the sun will be too hot to travel in the early afternoon. What, then, shall we do tomorrow? As you have explained, our party may find the sun too strong."

"There are customary places along the river where one may stop temporarily to take lunch and then a nap, Captain. I'm sure we can find one of those for your needs. After all, all craft that use the river have the same problem." Prell rose. "If you will excuse me, Captain, I will go and inform the hostel staff of your decision. I assume that you would want a separate chamber for yourself and your... attendants?"

"Aye, that I would."

"And Your Grace, you would also desire such a chamber for yourself and your advisor?"

Wallesan nodded. "If one is available, then of course I will take it. However, I will not object to sleeping with my men, or indeed Eriana's men. We have done so before."

The serving girl appeared with a tray. "Your food, Master," she said, putting plates and bowls in front of Maralin. "Your drink will follow. Do any of you others desire more to drink?"

* * *

The chamber they gathered in had a large table and good light through the opened shutters. Maralin had joined the four women, Ursula being with them simply because otherwise she would have had no chaperone. On the table he had unwrapped and laid out the piece of cloth he had bought in Terban.

"I think this would be the best use of our time today," he told the others. "It will be easier to manage this piece of cloth than that big bolt and what I want to turn it into you already know how to make, or so I am told. The dresses will be a new design so there may be some experimentation before we get it right."

Eriana gestured at the flimsy cloth. "As you say, Maralin, though I cannot see what use you may make of this. Underwear, you mentioned before?"

He nodded. "Aye, though perhaps not what you were thinking. I understand that you have a simple method for laying out and cutting those trousers you wear, is that right?"

She looked confused. "Trousers? Aye, we do, but..." The disbelief was plain. "You want to make trousers out of this?"

Maralin grinned. "Yes and no, Highness. Suppose... you lay out as you would for a loose pair of trousers, but we don't need the whole of the leg length. Perhaps just down to about here." He put the edge of a flattened hand halfway between crotch and knee. "This would be a garment that on Earth we would call shorts and is often worn by both men and women in hot weather. Now, if you wear such a garment under your dress, it will permit the air to flow, keeping you cool, yet prevent anyone seeing anything they should not. The material is thin enough that it would not feel too bulky or get too warm. What do you think?"

Eriana was surprised and then thoughtful. "Maralin, I am astonished by your cleverness. Aye, such a garment would require little cloth, I deem, and take less time to cut and sew. Ah! That is why, I see now, that you only required so small a length of cloth."

He held up a finger. "Remember, Highness, as I have, that these would be considered underwear, which means that you would wear a fresh pair every day. I estimated that we could get three, maybe four pairs out of this cloth for each of you." His eyes slid towards Ursula. "Of course, that was before we picked up another passenger."

"As you say." Eriana considered the material. "Very well, I shall explain to you all how we must needs measure ourselves to lay out for a pair of trousers. What is used to mark the cloth in these parts? Charcoal? In Einnland a kind of soft shell is used."

"I picked up some of what is called 'tailor's chalk' in the market, Highness, together with some needles, fine thread and shears for today's project. Shall we begin?"

Ursula watched the proceedings with some interest. She knew that sewing was something that women usually did, and that therefore she must have had some knowledge of the procedure. Could she help? Her balance had been questionable since they had landed at this strange town and so it seemed that sitting down would prevent potential problems for a while. If she was seated, then, why not help with the sewing?

The headache came suddenly, forcing her to close her eyes with the pain and to clutch her forehead with both hands. "Oh! That hurts!"

The others stopped what they were doing and crowded round, concerned. Maralin said, "I'll go to the kitchens, Highness, and see if they have any pel available. I have been told that it may help."

Eriana put a hand on Ursula's arm. She had enough experience of people who became sick or had some injury but this was an ailment unknown to her. It frustrated her that she could not help.

"Try and relax, Mistress. We are told that what happens will pass in but a few moments."

By the time that Maralin returned with a mug of pel Ursula had mostly recovered. She gratefully took the mug and drank deeply.

He asked, "Can you tell us what happened, Mistress?"

She was hesitant. "I'm not certain. I was wondering if I could help you with the sewing or something. It seemed a waste to be just sitting here watching you. Then I had a strange memory flash -" She shuddered. "O boje! I could not believe the pain!" Her eyes closed momentarily before she looked up again. "And what I saw was so strange! I was sewing, it seems, but the thread was so thin and, and, it was very bright and there were lots of bright metal things."

Maralin twitched at the strange words and they distracted him from her description. Metal things? Maybe she used a sewing machine somewhere? Perhaps she'll need to have a talk with Senidet...

"I don't think it would be a good idea for you to help us today, Mistress," he told her. "The attack has passed but, I regret, there will be others before your memory returns. There were times when I was just forced to sit and watch the same way you are today. Do not think that we deliberately ignore you, we know that you cannot function as you would like." He gave her a reassuring smile. "This will soon pass, I can assure you, and the pain to come is less than you would have if you were giving birth, for example."

She returned a half-smile. "I do not know if I am reassured by that, Maralin. You are right, though, it is probably better to wait until I am fully recovered... is that right?"

He nodded. "Aye... I may not say more to avoid confusing you, but you should be able to fully participate once your memory returns."

"Then I must be patient, and bear what is to come. Thank you for the drink, it is most refreshing."

It took only half a bell to measure, cut out and sew the two small pieces of cloth required for one of the new garments. As there was nothing resembling elastic available on Anmar yet, the finished product had a drawstring waist. Eriana took it to the washroom to try it on. She returned to the chamber wearing it under her gown and with a smile on her face.

"You have done the women of Anmar a great service this day, Maralin! If the weather is to become as hot as I have been told, these will make a great difference to our comfort. Girls, let us waste no more time in making more of these clever garments."

With the three women sewing, and Maralin to assist with the laying out and cutting, they managed another five garments before deciding that perhaps they had better attend to other matters. All measurements had been recorded on a piece of parchment, no paper yet being available in the market, and the spare material, needles, thread and shears had been packed away into a drawstring pouch Eriana had fashioned out of a rectangle of canvas.

"Very good," Eriana remarked, nodding, as they left the room. "These will become useful in the coming months, if what is foretold comes to pass. I am even more interested in making one of the new dresses now, my curiosity has been roused."

"Well, perhaps we will have time at our next stop to work out the design," Maralin responded. "It will take some thought and more sewing than these little shorts did today. Maybe it would be better to leave it until we reach Joth, though I know that you in particular are in need of something cooler to wear."

"Aye. It is ever my misfortune to be so tall, I deem, though of course that has given me other advantages. It means, though, that I can wear but little that others may wear, all my clothes must be specially made."

"Highness, I would have thought that, being of a royal family, your clothes would be made for you anyway."

She nodded. "This is true, but it means that I must needs take everything I wish to wear with me each time I travel. There is no opportunity to borrow, as Ursula did last night. It is not a problem, Maralin. The life of a Princess is limited in many ways, after all."

Wallesan greeted them in the courtyard with a smile. "Success?"

Eriana returned the smile. "Aye, Wallesan, indeed success. Maralin is as clever as Garia, I deem. As she produced bras for the women of Anmar, so Maralin has produced shorts. I will not expose them for you here, it may offend some, but you are a married man, you will understand when you see them at a later time."

"As you say, Eriana! We have caused enough talk already at the hostel, let us not encourage more! Maralin, this is what you intended?"

"Aye, Your Grace. It is just what I thought of."

In the courtyard of the hostel the men had mixed with other travelers and several conversations were going on around the enclosure. Lars approached the group looking somewhat diffident.

«Highness,» he began, «I am embarrassed to be asking you this, but I have little choice. The men have noticed that Maralin has bought cloth and that you have spent part of the afternoon sewing. The other women are now wearing much thinner dresses bought in the markets we have passed. This is because the weather is much warmer than we are accustomed to.»

Eriana kept a straight face. «This is true, Lars. What of it?»

«Well, our own clothing is no longer suitable, Highness. You can see how badly my own tunic and trousers is stained, and it is impossible to wash and dry them overnight. We want permission to do as you did and buy thinner clothes in the markets.»

«And what would you choose? Those who live in the Great Valley do not wear trousers as we do, nor have they any need to.»

Lars spread his hands. «Highness, it is a problem. Some of those who travel by water wear loose smocks or thin tunics. Others wear little but a kind of short skirt, though I doubt any of our men would do so.»

Maralin put in, «Those skirts are called kilts, Lars. Despite what you think, they are something that men mostly wear. Do you not remember Armsmaster Haflin dressed that way, in his armory in the palace?»

Lars nodded. «Aye, Tenant, but he was working in a hot workshop full of forges and fires... I take your point. Still, the question remains. Is there anything that is suitable for us to wear as we sail along the great river? If so, may we buy them in the markets?»

«I have been thinking about that, Lars. I have some ideas about attire for the women and also for yourselves. Did you know that I ended up designing new uniforms for the Joth defense forces? The problem is that we probably can't do much until we reach Joth, which will be in two to three days. If we spend too much time at places like this along the river we'll never get there.»

«But we have already spent almost a whole day here, Tenant.»

Eriana put in, «That was to find enough clothing to equip Ursula, Lars. We have done so now, and this afternoon was basically free time since we could not travel further today without complication. Maralin is right, if you can all bear to wear what you have for another day or two then once we reach Joth we will have time to find or to make whatever you desire to wear. Making a dress for one woman, or maybe three, is one thing, but clothing for thirty men is another matter.»

Lars bowed. "As you command, Highness."

* * *

Maralin scrawled on his piece of parchment, squinting to make out the numbers in the light of a setting sun. He and Wallesan were sitting at one of the kitchen tables in the courtyard, drinking a final mug of pel before retiring.

Maralin grimaced. "I think that my problem is, Your Grace, that I have become used to the value of our Dukans. When we were in Palarand, we were mostly in the palace or Dekarran castle, where we did not need to use any money... coin. Palarandi Crowns are not that familiar to me. I'm afraid that I may have spent somewhat more of your money than you would approve."

"Oh? What have you bought, then? I did not think that you contributed to Ursula's outfitting."

"No, it was the bolt of cloth, Your Grace. I saw it and it was just what I wanted, but maybe I ought to have waited until we got back to Joth. I'm sure your seamstresses have bolts of this stuff in their stores."

"That is possible, of course, but you may realize that we don't tend to use undyed cloth as much as some of the other countries do. There must be some, of course, but I do not blame you for obtaining such stuff as you find it. What have you spent so far?"

He held out his hand and Maralin put the parchment into it. Wallesan looked at the figures and winced.

"Aye. That looks somewhat expensive, does it not? Do you yet know how much cloth you have?"

"I was told that it was a full bolt and it looks that way to me, Your Grace. We can certainly clothe the women with it and have plenty left over to try things out for the men."

"As you say. You're still thinking of uniforms, are you not?"

"I am, Your Grace. However, what I think will be better, given the timing, is for the men to have something reasonably simple and comfortable for the rest of their trip upstream, and then to have proper uniforms ready for them when they return through Joth on their way back. If they are going to stranger lands, then it would seem prudent if they were attired as travelers rather than troops."

Wallesan considered, then nodded. "I agree. And what you didn't say, of course, is that we have a thriving industry making uniforms for almost everyone in this part of the Valley. Now the war is ended, we have seamstresses waiting for work."

"Exactly, Your Grace. On Earth, once various wars had ended, the production capacity that had been used for making uniforms and weapons was turned to civilian use. We will always have the need for military items but I'm sure we can find other things for our seamstresses to make."

The two grinned at each other in the last glow of the sinking sun.

"Indeed! Joth may not have mountains of coal or ores of iron but there must be other ways we may make ourselves useful in the coming Industrial Revolution." Wallesan reached for his mug. "Mayhap you have just suggested one such way, Maralin."

up
234 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

adapting to coming changes

there must be other ways we may make ourselves useful in the coming Industrial Revolution."

wise men, to understand they will have to adapt to what's coming.

DogSig.png

And later sewing and knitting

And later sewing and knitting machines will be imported to Joth from Paraland and that over production will get bigger, the seamstresses there can probably afford it easily with money from wartime production

You skipped an important thread or step :)

You skipped an important thread or step :).

They also need to make machines for producing standardized (as in size and strength) thread and yarn.

To adequately feed the sewing machines, they’l need to mechanize weaving and make large machines for things like heavy sail cloth and carpet.

Of course Joth has a LOT of

Of course Joth has a LOT of convenient river access for power, and shipping, with that considered they might figure out punch cards first,

Maybe not punch cards...

Maybe not punch cards but paper tapes. Ticker tape, pattern (program) tapes for embroidery and knitting machines. They were likely used for other machinery as well.

Punch cards came first

Technically, punched cards came first, in the Jacquard Loom. These were originally made from pasteboard but later sturdier versions were sawn from thin wooden sheet or even metal sheet.

Paper tape came later but because it has to be flexible it is not capable of the kind of heavy industrial use that a loom or other factory machinery would require.

If I remember, paper tape was first used to record telegraph messages: the first kinds just moved a needle (like a siesmograph does) before punching was devised, which meant that the tape could then be fed into another machine for re-sending or for converting to readable text.

Penny

Embroidery machines used paper tape (some are still around too)

Embroidery machines used paper tape (some are still around too). The machines I have in mind were used to produce rank and unit patch insignia for the US military. I believe they were German made in the 1930’s or earlier and used paper tape.

The machines you refer to may pre-date them.

Thread from that time used different dye and would not glow under black light.

Of course

The significant part is that it's storable data that a machine can be operated with, in a way a music box also has the same sort of implications. It's still several steps from being able to do advanced math like calculating firing tables and ballistic arcs with it.

Is Maralin destined to be

Is Maralin destined to be Anmar’s Hugo Boss of military uniforms and Calvin Klein of practical and stylish undergarments?

Great chapter, fantastic really as it caused me to get involved with the story—see the above question the chapter inspired me to formulate.

Clarification seems to be in order.

Is Maralin destined to become a famous designer like Earth’s Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Christian Dior, and others? Penny is correct about the military shrinking in peace. In this case it is going to be restructured and retrained to use weapons never before seen on Anmar and tactics in new combinations.

Maybe

I think Maralin is overdue for a promotion as well as getting some of the fair benefits of one of the key people in Joth in the coming boom.

Promotions

There was a good reason why Maralin wasn't promoted: to ensure he kept a low profile while Yod was still active. That didn't mean that Wallesan considered him a minor advisor, though.

There is also the small matter of his origins. A number of people do know about those but broadcasting it widely could have adverse consequences.

Of course, now the war has (sort of) ended, there are more people available than posts, so advancement will be slowish. There will be promotions in Maralin's future, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Penny

Maybe...

Maybe the Newbie might suggest (in the near future) something like the Brittish knighthood that is awarded for achievements or contributions to the realm.

More people than posts

Most of those people will return in short time to civilian life, a number of them will be more business minded than others and use their soldier's salary to seed businesses

Re: "More people than posts"

I suspect that the "levys" are unpaid. The Valley Nations regular forces are very small in number (the economies are not large or rich enough to support a large standing army). The regular forces are "paid", but most likely, the levys are provided with food, clothing, shelter, and weapons only.

It is not clear if "sacking towns, villages and farms" is an acceptable practice (in the valley).

Note: The above does not include Einnland!

Levy's

Are paid, discussed in AoJ. Always pay your soldiers on time or they will seek other employment. It is one of the many first rules of war. So they were paid, likely out of emergency treasury reserves, but paid regardless

They don't keep a standing army traditionally beyond basic defense needs. But you always pay you soldiers they are levies, not conscripts.

There will be a slight delay

before I can update the Appendices accordingly. I have a packed morning in front of me. This afternoon I should be able to get around to it. (Or get a round Tuit)

U P D A T E :

Appendices now in the latest possible status.

It's that time of year

I intended to post this three days ago (Wednesday. It's now Saturday).

At least I'm not moving house, or even country. Hope it all goes smoothly, Jules.

Penny

Understandable

You are likely to be out hunting on Sunday with the twins. :)

Latest transferee is very lucky

She will have a team fully capable of easing her transition as well as being in her best interests.

Luddites

joannebarbarella's picture

Let us not forget that the Luddites of eighteenth-century England arose when machines could produce thirty pairs of socks to the craftsman's one and put many out of work. Palarand will have to be careful not to reproduce similar Industrial Revolution conditions.

They are

Right now, they are very much at the point with all the new technologies that for every job that's being replaced by machines, 6 more workers are needed elsewhere.

You'd better

Pay your conscripts as well, otherwise you have the recipe for a fine case of mutiny with your head on a pike!

You forgot to put that in a

You forgot to put that in a comment reply, but yes you better, however my point was the joint valley forces levies were not seen as warrior-slaves but rather mandatory temporary employees of the state, as and as such were likely paid fairly well likely with the assumption of the war lasting about a year or so, adjusting for estimated supply costs and emergency coffer reserves with the contingency in the event of attrition that some would be returned to civilian roles to support wartime logistics and supply production. With Yod it was evidently a different story, where it seems likely only officers got well paid and all that was spared for typical soldiers was maybe enough for basic living, and many were poorly treated, even with early technological advantage it is impressive they got as far as they did like that, but not at all surprising they couldn't hold anything or that their morale was so fragile.

Clothing manufacturers

Jamie Lee's picture

With Maralin's ideas and Joth having semtrisses waiting to sew, maybe Joth becomes the capital of ready to wear clothing.

With the headaches starting, it shouldn't be long before Ursula discover who she is and everything she knows.

Others have feelings too.