The Lokian Way - Part 20 - The Past Catching Up

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

Last time on "The Lokian Way":

Mercy finally made a truce with Stacy. Thanks to a small gift of magic.

This small triumph was overshadowed by an emergency text of Victoria. Rushing to the rescue she found herself in a trap of Brianna. Thankfully one that was not malicious.

Mercy forged the begin of a new understanding of her closest friends. In the naughtiest way possible.

Things go awry after Brianna left.
Fooling around with Victoria, Mercy suddenly finds herself alone and a shocking conclusion why.

***** Saturday (Part 2) *****

"Victoria?" Mercy asked again and again. Only silence answered her.

In her trembling hands, she held a large red ball-gag. It was wet with tears that had fallen down. Mercy and Victoria had been fooling around. In order to stop Victoria's teasing Mercy had tried to use her magic to force a gag on her friend. But she had been hasty and unfocused. Now Victoria had paid the price.

Mercy let her fingers softly glide over the gags surface. As even it could vanish in a moment. Erasing the last trace of her former friend. Her mind was spinning and in her disorientation, she wondered what to do. Call Victoria's parents? Her own? Brian? What could they do she couldn't do herself?

Her mind wandered further and settled on Al, her first mentor in trickster magic. Would he understand? Al was soft-spoken and with a strange sense of humor. But could he deal with this? Mercy thought she would get even less compassion from Mavis. A mentor most useless. She would just tell some story of old and let Mercy figure things out.

Mercy's eyes flew open in shock as she thought back. "Stupid stories," she muttered aloud. The last one Mavis had told her came back to mind. She practically could hear Mavis say the moral of the story again. "Trickster magic doesn't kill. In fact, it is the only aspect of magic that can't be used to kill someone on purpose."

She looked down on the ball-gag again that used to be her friend. It hadn't been on purpose, but maybe there was still hope. It took all her strength of will left to calm herself down. To concentrate on the item in her hand. To overlay an image of Victoria as she knew her. The prim and proper self she had known for years. The naughty side she showed Mercy in private. At last the vulnerable side she had exposed when she was bound together with Mercy not an hour ago. Even remembering the last mark she got from Brianna. All this she pushed into the gag and then waited.

Nothing. The gag in her hands as solid as before. No Victoria who popped up and made jokes about Mercy's newest mistake. Despair threatened to overwhelm Mercy's mind. Numb hands let go of her friend's inanimate form and let it glide onto the bed covers.

It was time to face the truth. She had failed. Killed her friend. Her eyes fell on her phone near the door. Where she had discarded it as she shifted int her BDSM garb. She knew what she had to do. Tell everyone she was a murderer. Her legs nearly buckled under her as she stood up from the bed.

She didn't manage to place a single step when warm hands pulled her back. Enveloped her into a tight hug. "I am still here," a voice said that Mercy thought she would never hear again. "You haven't killed me."

Turning around Mercy saw Victoria. In flesh and blood. Her face somber. She was back! Mercy pulled her in. Hugging her as if she might lose her again the moment she let go of her.

"Took you a while," Victoria whispered while rubbing Mercy's back. "I couldn't tell you. That you hadn't killed me. That I was still alive. That I could feel, hear and strangely enough even see."

Then Victoria pushed Mercy at arm's length away but didn't let go of her. Instead, she made eye contact with her. "You know what?" she asked Mercy with a wry smile. "As soon as that mind magic resistance thing is done I am learning telepathy magic! Given the track record with you, I really need it."

Mercy snorted. Then a laugh broke out from deep within her. As if a dam had burst open. Victoria joined in and both did go down in a heap. Laughing until their stomach hurt. It wasn't that funny. Far from it. But it drained the tension away.

When their giggling ceased they laid on the bed in silence. Catching their breath.

"I really thought I lost you," Mercy admitted.

"You will never lose me," Victoria assured her.

"But that's just it," Mercy said with anger tinting her voice. "The lokian way. Trickster magic. They all said with time I would lean to control it. But the more time goes by the more powerful I become. Where does it end? Now I can make people into objects! What's next? I am afraid Victoria. Afraid of what I can do."

"I am not," Victoria said with vehemence. Gently pulling Mercy's head around so they could look into each other's eyes. "I know I am safe with you. Believe me. I do. Once I had been at the mercy of someone abusing trickster magic. Back then I had been feeling helpless. Never with you. Not even now. Trapped as a freaking ball-gag. Not a single moment. I knew you would figure it out. That you wouldn't leave me. Because I know deep inside you are good. Do you understand?"

Mercy nodded. Not just a nod out of reflex. She saw Victoria's eyes. In there wasn't the usual deviant spark. It was all seriousness. Victoria trusted her with her heart. That she understood now. "Thank you," Mercy whispered.

Victoria pulled her closer. Drawing her into another lazy hug. For some time they just laid there. Snuggled against each other. Enjoying the silence and the presence of each other.

The next time Mercy looked over she saw Victoria absent-minded. "What are you thinking about?"

Victoria looked at Mercy but then turned away. "You'll get angry when I tell you."

"I won't," Mercy promised.

"I know you will," Victoria corrected her. "Because I know you."

"So you don't trust me after all?" Mercy asked.

That prompted Victoria to turn back around. "I do. Fine. I'll tell you. I've been wondering how it feels to be worn."

"What?" Mercy exclaimed while pushing herself off the bed. "I can't believe you."

"See? I knew you would get angry" Victoria said with a sigh.

"How can't I?" Mercy shot back. "I reduced you to an object. Robbed you of every freedom you had and you want to get back to it?"

"Mercy. Sit down," Victoria said calmly while patting the bed beside her. "Let me explain. Please."

Grumbling to herself Mercy plopped down. Victoria knew this would be a hard sell, but tried anyways.

"When you made me a gag I was confused at first. It is as you said. Everything was taken from me. I was helpless. Confused. Frightened. But I calmed down because I knew two things. I was alive and that eventually you would figure that out and free me."

"Then why do you want to go back to it?"

"Because-" Victoria broke off with a sigh. "I knew all I should've been feeling was trust in you to turn me back and the vague plan to learn some form of telepathy in the next five minutes. I really need to learn telepathy. But there was something else and I couldn't shake it. Mercy, do you know your purpose in life?"

"I am starting to get a feeling I might," Mercy admitted. More musing to herself than to Victoria. "But not really yet."

"No one knows their life's purpose off the bat," Victoria continued. "It is for us to figure out. But a gag. A simple gag. It has an equally simple purpose. To be worn. And for a moment I shared that purpose. I knew I wanted to be worn on an instinctual level. Now being human again I don't feel that purpose anymore. But still, it leaves me yearning. How does it feel to not only know your life's purpose but to have it fulfilled too."

"That's -"Mercy started, but broke herself off. "Surprisingly deep," she admitted with a frown. "I expect some deviant reason of you."

"Oh, you want a naughty thought. Let me think," Victoria said before assuming a theatric thinker pose. "Hmm. How about that I finally could make you shut up. Or even better. You would be drooling all over me. This time literally instead of figuratively."

"Okay," Mercy cut her off slightly giggling. "I'll get it. That's the Victoria I know."

"I know it is a lot to ask for," Victoria said while returning to a somber note. "Especially after the shock we both just had."

Mercy nodded and thought about it for a moment. "I guess it's my fault that you have these feelings. These longings to explore this."

"It's not your fault," Victoria assured her. "And if you don't want to wear me then I am sure I can find someone else. I guess I can get Brian to do it. Although I can't imagine Brianna going for it."

Mercy chuckled, but then sat up straighter. "No. I'll do it. That I owe you."

"Really?" Victoria asked."Thanks."

"Maybe this time though we should do some ground rules," Mercy mused.

"I'll simply turn back when I had enough," Victoria suggested.

Mercy thought about it for a moment and couldn't find a flaw in the logic. Still, something nipped at her mind, but she couldn't figure out what. Maybe a detail she missed.

"Fine," Mercy agreed.

"Yay," Victoria half shouted and bounded off the bed. Instead of landing on it in her human body a red ball-gag with black leather belts settled down.

"You don't lose any time, do you?" Mercy asked with a wry smile. Shaking her head she picked up the gag. For a moment she had a deja-vu. Her hands and the same gag. Both marred with tears. She shook her head to clear the image. "Here goes nothing," she muttered before opening her mouth wide.

For the second time in this day, she felt a huge invader spread her mouth. She made a note to herself that maybe she should make all ball-gags so big. Already Victoria in her gag form stretched Mercy's mouth wide. While Mercy buckled the gag tight she soon noticed that she couldn't keep her mouth open for a longer time. So far she had tried not to relax her jaw or worse bite down on Victoria. Then again maybe she could persuade Victoria to end her curiosity by applying a little pressure with her teeth.

When Victoria didn't return to her human for Mercy took it as a sign that it was okay. After all, a gag was designed to be bitten down. Just to make sure Mercy bit down more and more. Until her jaw arched. Nothing. Huffing in annoyance she looked around. Items of their lovemaking and Brianna's little test of trust still littered Victoria's room.

Having nothing better to do she started to tidy up. It wasn't long before she noticed something peculiar. She couldn't help but drool. It annoyed her even more that Victoria probably would get a kick out of it. After all, she had mentioned fantasizing about it.

While Mercy stuffed ropes and other BDSM items away she glanced at the clock. Again and again. What took Victoria so long? It bothered Mercy to no end. The whole situation was strange.

After half an hour she heard a sound she didn't know she dreaded until she heard it. Peeking out of the window she saw a car pulling up the driveway.

With haste, she unbuckled Victoria the gag and popped it out of her mouth. Holding her at arm's length. "Your parents are back. Playtime is over."

But Victoria stubbornly refused to turn back. "I mean it Victoria. They'll find out if you don't turn back."

When only silence was the reply Mercy grew worried. Maybe something was wrong again. Had Victoria lost herself in her new purpose? Was she too happy to be just an object? mercy shook her head.

"Enough! You better turn back or else!" Mercy threatened as she dumped Victoria on her bed.

At once Victoria popped back into her human form. Before Mercy could demand answers Victoria burst into a flurry of activity.

"I really need to learn telepathy!" Victoria exclaimed while rummaging through her drawers for underwear. Catching Mercy off guard at the same time. "Mercy, get presentable."

Frowning in confusion Mercy looked down and saw that she still wore the leather bodice. When Mercy was done shifting her clothes into something appropriate she saw that Victoria had managed to slip into a dress herself.

"We talk later in detail," Victoria urged her. "Just know this. I tried to turn back. As long as you wear me or hold me I couldn't."

Mercy nearly groaned about her own stupidity. There was the small detail she had missed. After all, the time she had given Victoria back her human form she had only turned back when Mercy had let go of her.

"It was fantastic," Victoria blurred forth. Surprising Mercy with her intensity. "Just imagine what we could do with this. Oh! Once I learn telepathy maybe I'll be your blindfold. Robbing your eyesight while at the same time replacing it with instructions. That could be fun. I wonder what Brianna will come up with."

Before Mercy could reply there was a loud shout for Victoria from below. "I am upstairs with Mercy," Victoria yelled back. "You are staying for dinner, right?" she asked Mercy with a big grin on her face.

"Sure," Mercy replied stunned. While Victoria practically ran downstairs, Mercy followed her down with a murmur on her lips. "Why keeps my life getting stranger and stranger?"

***** Sunday *****

Mercy waited not very patiently on the steps of the library. Wondering if her friends would show up. She spotted Victoria first. Feeling relief at seeing her. The day before so many things had happened that Mercy's mind was still spinning.

"Do I really have to do research on a Sunday?" Victoria complained after greeting Mercy. "How about this? You make me a little vibrator. I could be your naughty little secret and keep you entertained while studying."

"Victoria!" Mercy exclaimed. "No way!"

"You should see your face," Victoria said through chuckles. "Don't worry. It was a joke." Just when Mercy relaxed she added a little. "This time."

"Hey, guys!" The shout belonged to Brian who joined them. "What did I miss yesterday when I had to go?"

"You didn't tell him?" Mercy asked. "I thought he would be the first you called with the news."

"I thought he deserved to hear it from you," Victoria defended herself.

"Hear what?" Brian demanded to know.

"I can -" Mercy started, just to break up and hunt for the right words. "Turn people into objects. And back."

"I think there is a story behind it," Brian commented dryly.

"Oh, I'll tell you all about it," Victoria promised. "I am curious what ideas you will come up with."

"I don't think that many," Brian replied. And just when Mercy relaxed he added more. "Brianna, however, brings my creative side out. Bet she comes up with a few things."

"I am doomed," Mercy howled.

"You are only noticing this now?" Victoria asked with a grin.

"So?" Brian asked. "Do we torment Mercy the whole day or do we go in?"

"Time to study!" Mercy half shouted. Her friends followed her in. Both with grins on their faces.

"Okay. We need a plan," Mercy said as they reached the checkout counter.

"Maybe we should split up," Victoria suggested. "Each one of us focuses on a subject. We meet in a few hours back here to compare notes."

"Sounds like a plan," Brian agreed. "Who takes what subject?"

"I am curious about trickster magic itself," Mercy spoke up first. "Where does it come from and how is it created? I mean I know something must shift it from neutral mana to trickster magic. But what?"

"Good luck finding out," Victoria told her with a pad on her shoulder. "I will look into those stolen trickster containment vessels. Something irks me about those. All this sounds familiar, but I can't remember from where."

Both girls looked at Brian who shrugged. "Maybe I do some general research? I also could be looking into greek trickster mages."

"What makes greek trickster mages so special?" Victoria asked.

"You'd be surprised," Brian said with a grin that reminded Mercy of Brianna. Maybe he had been right and there always had been a Brianna slumbering under his surface.

"Meet here again in four hours?" Mercy asked. When both of her friends nodded she added something else. "And you behave," she spoke up.

"I am not Brianna right now," Brian protested. Thinking Mercy spoke with him.

"Not you. Her," Victoria corrected while pointing behind Brian.

"How boring," came the shout of a female voice.

"Hey Carissa," Mercy greeted the librarian.

"Fellow trickster mage," Victoria whispered to Brian.

"Hey, Mercy. Victoria. And who is your friend?" Carissa greeted back.

"Brian," he said to introduce himself.

"You all behave too," Carissa warned them. However, Mercy saw the wink in her direction.

Shaking her head Mercy headed into the library.

*****

Victoria and Brian did find Mercy sitting at one of the study tables. Surrounded by many books. Many open and put aside with a specific page showing.

"That looks promising," Victoria asked while taking a seat."

Jumping in her seat Mercy looked up to see her grinning friends. She frowned and pointed at the books. "No. It is not. I barely found anything. Are the four hours over soon?"

"We passed the four-hour mark a while back," Brian remarked. "So we came looking for you."

"Now we can compare notes here," Victoria suggested.

"Fine," Mercy grumbled. "I might as well start first. As I haven't found much."

"Can't be that bad," Victoria remarked.

"It's worse," Mercy said with a sigh. "There is nothing, but guesswork. No one knows how trickster magic is created. The experts can only agree on one thing. It is growing. As in the average level of trickster magic is rising in the world. And more so in the last century than in the rest of the millennium."

"Wouldn't that mean more trickster mages in general?" Brian mused out loud.

"it does," Mercy agreed. "And the numbers back it up. There are more trickster mages in general but get this. The overall ratio of trickster mages to the general population is consistent."

"You are suggesting that both are connected?" Victoria asked.

"It's just a hunch," Mercy admitted. "I can't prove it. However, I have one more clue that cements a relation between both. You know that sometimes magical aspects manifest in animals, right? It mutates them into an enhanced form. Like those thunderbirds the tribe's revere. What are they called? Rocs? Or those deer that soak up plant magic. Called dryadic deer or also guardians of the woods."

Mercy leaned forward as if to share a secret. "We can see those mutations in fossils. Ranging millions of years back. However, never has been a fossil found of an animal infused with trickster magic, because never has there been an animal in our time mutated by trickster magic. But here is my theory. What if trickster magic isn't infusing animals. Instead, it mutates humans. That might explain why we can't find evidence of trickster magic existing before humans existed."

"Does that mean trickster magic is created by a human? Maybe an experiment went wrong?" Victoria asked.

"I don't know," Mercy exclaimed in frustration while throwing her hands up. "All I do is to speculate based on the meager things we do know about trickster magic. Like everyone else before me. Anyway. That's all I got. What about you both."

"What I found is exciting," Victoria piped up. "But not the positive kind. You remember how Al confessed that there had been four stolen containment vessels of trickster magic? Well, he was right. In this state. If you add the states surrounding us the count rises to thirteen."

"A lot of trickster magic," Brian remarked with a whistle. "Can't be good."

"You have no idea," Victoria said while her face took a haunted look. "I found out why it sounded so familiar. It happened before. Seventeen and a half years ago three containment vessels were stolen. It wasn't easy to find these photos, but they are from the side where all three had been blown up at the same time."

She spread out a bunch of black and white pictures. Most of them grainy and of low quality. Some blurred as if taken in a haste. It showed a clearing in the woods. Littered with blown up chunks of steel. Mercy noticed something particular. Runes or pictograms carved into the dirt floor. They were kind of chunky, squarish and carved around the craters were the vessels might have been. Some had been overblown, but most could be still seen as they had been filled with something dark. Maybe a liquid.

"And this is what worries me. Mercy. Mavis tells us that trickster magic only binds to persons of good character. Those who can control the impulses of the magic, right? At this time and this site, a person not fitting those criteria managed to bind himself to trickster magic. That's how I remember this. Because I researched the mage before."

Mercy's mind didn't have to jump far to make the connection. "Gideon. The mage who took you, hostage."

Victoria nodded gravely. "He was there. Stole those containment vessels. But it gets worse. Some sources I dug up claim that he wasn't successful. Not entirely. Some speculate he tried to ascend to a higher form." She paused for a moment to give importance to what she said next. "To become the avatar of trickster magic."

Mercy had to suppress a shudder. Since she learned of avatars she had this nagging feeling that it meant something. But her mind refused to go there. Her mouth felt dry when she opened it. "You think Gideon is trying again?"

"No," Victoria said with determination. "I check regularly. He is still locked up in prison. Believe me, I would know if he breaks out. Besides. All hell would break loose if he did it again. Last time was already a spectacle. Even before he came into my life. But it doesn't mean someone else might try to do the same. Maybe a disciple of Gideon. And whoever it is he is ramping it up. Go big or go home, right?"

Mercy felt the eyes of Brian resting on her. When he asked Victoria it was while he still looked at Mercy. "That day seventeen and a half year ago. It wouldn't happen to be the twenty-first of December, right?"

"It was," Victoria confirmed. "How did you know?"

"Because there was a prophecy about that day in that year," Brian explained. "It foretold the rise of a trickster avatar. It caused a lot of panics. That's why I dug the old prophecy. It was made by the oracle of Delphi. What makes the prophecy special is that it is the only one that hadn't come true."

He took out photocopies and handed them over to the girls.

On darkest night she will be born.
Shrouded in mischief.
Rising to be a paragon of her equals.

"Prophecies are nonsense," Mercy exclaimed and pushed the copy away.

"I don't know," Victoria mused. "A lot of them come true."

"Just some people making things up!" Mercy exclaimed and confused Victoria with her outburst.

"You see Mercy's birthday is the twenty-first of December," Brian explained.

"Oh, that's right," Victoria said with a nod.

"I am not the avatar of trickster magic!" Mercy hissed at them. "Do I need to remind you that I was born a boy? And I didn't have trickster magic for over seventeen years. It can't be me. Don't spread such nonsense. Someone might hear you."

"I am just teasing," Brian said to calm her down. "I know rumors of trickster magic avatars can cause panics. Exactly that happened back then. Can you believe that the president ordered the national guard to move out? They were stationed in every maternity ward in the country. There was a real kill order in case one baby turned out to be the avatar. Madness. And back then the people had approved of it."

"Why are you giving a crap about prophecies anyway?" Mercy demanded to know.

"Looks like I know something that you don't," Brian boasted. "You see the oracle of Delphi changes. It is a position for a lifetime. But once an oracle dies a new one is chosen. And if rumors can be trusted the chosen oracle is always a trickster mage."

"Huh. That's why you wanted to research greek trickster mages," Victoria mused out loud.

"I think we got off track here," Mercy threw in. "All that is in the past. We should concentrate on the present. If what Victoria said is true then we may have a copycat on our hands that try to surpass Gideon in ambition. Maybe we should warn someone about it."

"I can do it," Victoria volunteered. "I'll meet Al for training tomorrow anyway. But I am pretty sure others came to the same conclusion as us."

"I think we are done here," Mercy said while rubbing her forehead. "Thanks for coming. I think I need some time to stomach all this. See you both tomorrow at school."

Victoria and Brian exchanged a worried look as Mercy left them.

*****

Mercy was picking at her dinner. Now and then glancing at her parents. It was just those three at the dinner table left. Melanie and Michelle practically had vacuum their portions in to get back to some special project of theirs.

"What is it young lady?" her mother finally asked.

Mercy winced, but then put aside her fork and looked openly at her parents.

"The night I was born. Did there happen anything special."

Her father broke out in a merry laugh. "Of course!" Earning a cringe of Mercy. "You were born. That was pretty special."

"Special to you, right?" Mercy dug deeper. "To everyone else, I was a normal ... boy, right?"

"According to the nurses and doctor," her Father confirmed.

"And aside from me?" Mercy asked.

"Well, there were those soldiers and mages," Mercy's mother mused out loud. "Those were scary. I remember the girl next to us. So young and so scared. She was very pale. I was worried she might faint even before she would give birth."

"Did everything turn out alright?" Mercy wanted to know.

"Come to think of it I don't know," her mother admitted. "You were a little more eager to come out than her child. And once you were there I had only eyes for you."

Mercy gave her a weak grin and returned to her food.

"That reminds me," her mother continued. "I never asked the girl where she got her fancy dress. It was an older style and quite elaborate. And custom fitted for a baby bump. Must have cost a fortune.

Mercy nearly dropped her fork again. She knew only one girl that wore old-timey clothes. Mavis. But it couldn't be her, right? Too big of a coincidence. It had been years ago. Had Mavis even lived here at the time? Then again maybe a trickster mage avatar must be born by a trickster mage. Did Mavis have a daughter? Mercy vowed to find out.

***** Monday *****

Mercy was changing at her locker for P.E. when she heard a snicker coming from Sonja.

"Hey, Victoria," Sonja shouted.

"Yeah?"

"Who is Brianna?" Sonja asked with a smirk.

"Just a friend," Victoria said dismissively.

"I don't think so," Sonja remarked. "Your tattoo suggests otherwise."

"Tattoo?" Victoria asked confused. "I don't have a tattoo."

"Then it must be an elaborate birthmark on your butt," Sonja suggested.

Mercy had to suppress a smirk as she saw Victoria contorting to look at her own but. Then she shocked look on her face as she saw her 'tattoo'. The imprint of a lipstick kiss with the words 'property of mistress Brianna' around them.

"What the-. Mercy!" Victoria half shouted.

Now Mercy lost it. Laughing out loud. "Not my idea," she managed between laughter. "I only followed instructions."

Meanwhile, Victoria tried to rub it off without success. "You can remove it, right?"

"Sure," Mercy agreed with a grin. "But you explain why it is missing next time you play with Brianna."

She practically heard the gulp of Victoria. "You know what?" Victoria asked. "I think I keep it for now."

Smirking Mercy got back to change into her P.E. uniform. But back in her head she still heard the whisper of Brianna. "One day, when you are ready, I hope you wear my mark too."

*****

"How come Melanie and Michelle aren't walking with us?" Victoria asked as they left the school.

"Well, because they are lazy," Mercy mused aloud. "Since I told them of the school bus that stops just a street away from our house they prefer to take it. That and they complained too much about wearing high heels."

"They didn't wear high heels today," Victoria remarked.

"Yet," Mercy added and earned a chuckle as a reward.

They walked a while doing small talk when Victoria suddenly looked ahead and frowned. "That's not normal."

Mercy saw the light of sirens down the road. Right where the self-help center for the lokian mages was. Both girls glanced at each other hurried towards it.

They found several police cruisers parked along with ambulances, firefighter trucks, and even a big rig for transporting stuff. The whole procession was cordoned off by police officers.

"Nothing to see here," one officer told them. "Move along."

But they could see plenty. A crane heaved a containment vessel onto the big rig. Paramedics roled stretchers out of the center. Mercy was pretty sure it was Al and Mavis on them. Both unconscious.

"Mercy!" Victoria grabbed painfully her arm. As Mercy looked at her she saw pale. Staring ahead. Mercy followed her line of sight and saw that it was fixed on one of them. A police officer that was surrounded by others. He looked familiar. And just when she recognized him Victoria said it out loud. "I was wrong. That's Gideon! He's free!"

That moment Gideon turned around. His gaze caught Mercy's and to her horror, she saw him recognize her. "That girl! She is one of our targets," Gideon bellowed. "Tranq her!"

Time warped for Mercy in a funny way. She saw many police officers draw strange guns. Bulkier than normal. They all turned towards her. it was as if in slow motion, yet still too fast. Mercy reacted by instinct. Lashed out with her magic. Dozens of officers going down as they suddenly found themselves in straight jackets.

"You girl!" she heard Gideon shout. "Restrain your friend."

For a moment Mercy was worried that Victoria would turn on her. Falling under Gideon's spell. To make her a puppet like everyone else around here. A loud shouted "Fuck off!" destroyed that worry. But the moment of distraction was enough. Something painfully bit Mercy in her stomach. A glance down showed her a dart or something similar.

She managed to put more police officers down in restrains, but it got harder. She felt weak. Sank to her knees. Victoria tried to pull her away, but Mercy had no strength left to help. She collapsed on the sidewalk. Then there was this pull. Steadily increasing. And with a yank she was free. With horror, she adjusted to her new view. Mercy saw everything around her. Gideon bellowing orders. Officers struggling in the garments Mercy had put them into. Victoria being pinned down by policemen.

But what frightened Mercy the most was the body lying on the sidewalk.
Unresponsive. As if sleeping.

It was her own.

Quick author note:
I hope with this end you all tune in for "The Lokian Way - Part 21 - The Day Her World Changed Again".
I am pushing myself to complete it by April the eighth. If not then fifteenth for sure.
There is still a lot to write and since part 22 will be the epilogue I hope to release both parts on the same day.
I want to thank all of you for following the series so far and hope you will find the finale as underwhelming as I had in mind. Now please excuse me. I have to get back to writing in order to fullfil that promise.

Hugs and kisses,
Cassy.

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lokian

Nothing about this series has been underwhelming (except that i wish there was more of it but thats how i always feel with good writing) I'm thinking maybe now is a good time to suggest book 2.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Armageddon has come.

Beoca's picture

Is this seriously ending in only two more episodes? Unbelievable.

oh boy ...

bad news ...

DogSig.png

Thanks

This story is great fun!

Cindy

Cindy Jenkins

Really enjoying this!

Late reader.. I must have been originally turned off by the BDSM content.
This is a fun to read.
Thanks
a

alissa

Oooh, babies. Oooh.

"Had Mavis even lived here at the time? Then again maybe a trickster mage avatar must be born by a trickster mage. Did Mavis have a daughter? Mercy vowed to find out."

Mavis changed her baby girl into a boy, swapped with the girl who would've been Mark's parents' kid or something... Or whatever. She has illusion magic and body magic after all. And maybe affinities are inherited too?