A Piece in the Game of Gods part 41

Printer-friendly version

I sat up in bed and rubbed at my eyes, wanting to go back to sleep but knowing that I couldn’t. Last night had been filled with dreams, though none of them were visitations from Maelyne. I was sure that if she was still around, she would have visited me again after I’d beat Pfath. The fact that she didn’t was proof that she really was gone. There was a cold hard lump in my stomach at that thought.

A minute later, I grudgingly climbed out of bed, threw on my bathrobe, then stumbled down the hallway towards the bathroom. Apparently, being a demi-goddess didn’t make mornings any easier. I absently wondered if there was a god or goddess of mornings, and decided that if there was, they had to be with the bad guys.

Once I reached the bathroom, I did my business then washed my hands and splashed some cold water on my face. That helped me to wake up a little, but looking into the mirror gave me a bit of a start and helped wake me up the rest of the way.

It wasn’t that my reflection had changed at all last night, but the simple fact that a part of me still expected to see a guy staring back from the mirror, especially when I was half-asleep. Every time I looked into the mirror, there was at least some disorientation, though it was getting less and less with every day. Who knows, maybe one day I’d look into the mirror and not think that there was anything strange about it at all.

“Not likely,” I said.

Of course, the fact that my body and face continued to subtly change nearly every time I acquired some new attribute points, only made this a little more jarring. It was hard to get used to a new self when that new self was still changing.

I ran my fingers over my face, feeling the smooth skin and tracing the features. This wasn’t Heather’s face, not anymore. A few extra points in charisma had made some changes since she’d last worn it, and it seemed to be picking up a bit of my own character as well. Not my old physical features of course, but more the fact that my own expressions were a little different than hers had been, at least that was what Lauren and Cassandra said. Slowly but surely, this was becoming MY face, in spite of the fact that I was sometimes still surprised to see it staring back from the mirror.

I turned my attention to the rest of my body and examined it with my usual mixture of feelings. There was appreciation, pride, gratitude, embarrassment, and shame. The last two were fading away, but they were still there, echoed by the same remnants of the old Jerry that was continually surprised by my reflection. The fact that this voice was fading provided its own mixed emotions, both relief and concern.

“There is no doubt,” I said with a sigh. “You are one totally messed up chick.”

That was way better than the alternatives, and Maelyne had saved me from those twice. In spite of how weird this whole situation was, I was still thankful to have this chance. I was thankful to still be alive, even if it meant that I had to become someone else.

“I appreciate what you gave me,” I said to Maelyne, wherever she was. And I gave a silent thanks to Heather as well. She might not have given this body and life to me intentionally, but I still owed her my appreciation at the very least.

Ever since I’d ended up in this body, I’d been worried about losing my old self, and wondered who it was I was becoming. Just when I started to get an idea of who Jeri was, this whole ‘divine spark’ thing occurred, and I had absolutely no idea of what that meant for me or who I would become. It meant that I was having to ask those same questions all over again.

After I was done examining myself, along with shaking off this self-reflective mood, I turned my attention to the practical matter of taking a shower. I wasn’t in the mood for a nice long soak in the tub this morning, but a hot shower still hit the spot.

Then came the almost zenlike act of brushing and drying my hair. My hair was silky smooth, without any knots or split ends. And as I brushed it, it seemed to fall right into place with very little effort. In fact, now that I thought about it, I hadn’t really had any ‘bad hair days’, at least not since I’d first ended up in this body, when I had much more important things to be concerned about.

“The charisma,” I said in realization. This was just one of the benefits of having high charisma stats. “That and a good complexion.”

Every stat increase came with benefits, and not just the obvious ones. Strength came with more muscle mass and definition, which improved how you looked and felt, as well as how other people saw you. Endurance came with increased height and overall body mass, which had similar social effects. I still wasn’t sure about what divinity did beyond increasing all my other stats, but I knew there was more to it than that.

As soon as I was finished getting dried and dressed, I went down to the kitchen to get something to eat. Lauren was already up and sitting at the breakfast nook with a couple books open in front of her.

“So, how do you like being a companion so far?” I asked her wryly.

Lauren looked up from the book she was reading. “It’s…strange. I mean, yesterday was absolutely terrifying, but these benefits…”

“They are pretty good,” I agreed.

“My memory is a lot better,” she said, gesturing to the book. “Which is really helping with the homework and studying. And this healing ability…”

“Perfect for a doctor,” I said.

Lauren nodded agreement. “Definitely.” Then she frowned. “But I am worried…”

I nodded at that. “Yeah. I wouldn’t have brought you into this if I’d had another choice…”

“I know,” she responded with a wry smile. “And trust me, I appreciate it.” She glanced around for a moment before adding, “And now I understand what Cassandra is going through a bit better. We’ve been friends for years, but then she became a champion and… Well, I’m thankful that I wasn’t pulled into all that, but at the same time, I kind of felt left out. I mean, my best friend was going into life and death battles, and I couldn’t do anything to help.”

Lauren let out a sigh and then stared off into space, or at least, that was what it would have looked to anyone else. I could see her checking out her screen, obviously still amazed at being able to have it.

While Lauren was doing that, I went and poured her a cup of coffee while I made myself some tea and a couple slices of toast. By the time I was done, Lauren had shaken herself out of it a bit.

“It must have been pretty hard,” I said, giving her a sympathetic look. “I mean, Cassandra got those awesome abilities and kept getting those stat improvements.”

“Yeah,” Lauren agreed, looking a little guilty for that.

“And with Heather going through that too,” I added, feeling a bit sorry for Lauren. “You must have really felt left out.”

Lauren hesitated a moment before admitting. “A bit. I did feel left out, but I was also thankful that I wasn’t part of all that…”

“Well, you’re a part of it now,” I said with a sigh.

“And I’m still not sure what to think about that,” Lauren grumbled. She closed her eyes for a moment and let out a sigh. When she opened them up again, she looked at me. “I didn’t meet Heather until after this all started. Cassandra met her right after they’d both been chosen, and their patrons told them to work together. She was pretty nice at first, but it started going to her head at the end…”

“It must be really hard having me around,” I commented, feeling a little guilty.

“Not really,” Lauren assured me. “I mean, it was at first, but when I look at you, I don’t see Heather anymore. Sure, you have the same face and voice, but you use them differently…if that makes sense. I mean, you talk differently and have different body language. It makes a BIG difference.”

I chuckled at that since Lauren’s words echoed my own thoughts from a little earlier. It was nice to know that this wasn’t all in my head, and that other people could see the differences too. That made me a little better about it.

Just then, Cassandra’s voice called out from the top of the stairs. “I’m coming down, so someone had better have my coffee ready…”

I rolled my eyes but went and poured some coffee while Lauren snickered. I noticed that she made sure to get a firm grip on her own cup, just in case Cassandra decided it was easier to snatch hers.

Cassandra came down the stairs, still looking more than half-asleep. She came straight to the breakfast nook where I placed her coffee in front of her. None of said a word until she’d emptied nearly half the cup.

“I had another talk with Armestia last night,” Cassandra said.

“Did you talk about anything interesting?” I asked curiously, feeling a tiny stab of jealousy.

“A little,” Cassandra admitted, taking another sip of coffee, then reaching over and snatching a piece of my toast. “She told me where to find those fuckwits.”

I stared at her in surprise. “You know where Kr’aethar and Arakthiel are?” When she nodded, I demanded, “Where?”

Cassandra smirked. “How do you feel about zombies?”

--------------------

I was nervous. I was excited. I was apprehensive and terrified.

The idea of intentionally confronting Arakthiel and Kr’aethar simultaneously filled me with a cold dread and a fierce determination. I’d seen what those two could do, both in their host bodies and in their real ones. They’d killed multiple champions…and gods.

I had no illusions that I might somehow be immune to their powers, or that I was invulnerable. I didn’t want to die again, nor did I want to see any of my friends hurt or killed. However, I also knew that they were monsters who had to be stopped. In the end, the only way to protect my friends from those bastards, was to put them down for good.

I looked around the living room where the five of us were gathered. Cassandra was sitting next to me while Lauren was close to Matt. Teri was by herself, though she’d positioned herself to be close to her big brother, without being too close.

Together, the five of us had defeated Pfath, and that should have filled me with confidence, but it didn’t. Pfath had been by herself, but Arakthiel and Kr’aethar wouldn’t be. However, what was even more important was that we’d caught Pfath by surprise. She’d had no idea that I actually had the ability to hurt her, but that was an advantage we no longer had. I had no doubt that once we sent Pfath back home with her tail between her legs, that she…or he since that was his real gender…would have warned his allies.

“Let the Council of Elrond begin,” Matt announced in a somber tone.

Lauren elbowed him in the side. “A little late for that. We’ve already been talking for the last hour.”

“You are SUCH a nerd,” Teri said in exasperation.

“Bite me,” Matt responded to his sister, flipping her off. “I don’t need to hear it from the dumb jock.”

Since ‘dumb jock’ no longer quite worked for me, he’d begun using it for Teri instead. Admittedly, she now looked the part a bit more than I did.

As Lauren said, we’d all been here for the last hour, trying to come up with a plan for defeating Kr’aethar and Arakthiel. We’d done some brainstorming and had come up with a few ideas, though nothing really solid. Unfortunately, we were quickly running out of time. We knew where they were at the moment, but there was no guaranteeing that they’d stay there for very long.

This was just like waiting for a competition, except that instead of watching the timer on our screens, we were watching the clock. After all, we weren’t the only ones involved in this particular mission. According to Cassandra, Armestia had arranged transportation for us, and that transportation was scheduled to arrive in just half an hour.

“I still think we need to get a bunch of machine guns,” Teri announced. “That would be so cool…” She stood up and them made a show of shooting some imaginary guns.

“Do YOU know where we could find some?” Matt asked his sister with a skeptical look. “Because I sure don’t.”

“Or how to use them?” Lauren added with a skeptical look of her own.

“I don’t think it would even work, anyway,” Cassandra pointed out. She gestured to Lauren. “Lauren shot Pfath a couple times, and she shrugged that off as easily as she did my arrows.” Then she nodded to me. “Jeri is the only one who can really hurt them…or at least…make those asshole STAY hurt.”

“And I’m still not even sure how I did it,” I admitted self-consciously. “I think I charged my divine power into my spear when I attacked, but it was more instinctive than anything else.”

“Well, whatever you did worked,” Cassandra told me with a smirk, “so just do that again.”

We continued talking about this for a bit longer, until our time was nearly over, then we all got ready by summoning our armor and weapons. Lauren looked especially uncomfortable with hers, though she insisted that she was going to come along anyway. And though I was a little worried about her, I was also thankful to have another healer along.

My eyes went to Cassandra, and I was startled to notice that her armor was different than usual. Her armor had changed about as much as mine had, after I’d used that upgrade on it.

“Armestia gave me an upgrade of my own last night,” Cassandra explained with a smirk, gesturing down at her armor as she did so. “So I wouldn’t be left out. She said that she couldn’t spare much power, but she gave me what she could.”

“Every little bit helps,” I said, nodding in approval.

It was just a minute after this that a portal opened up in the air and the Cleaner stepped out. He looked around the room at each of us, pausing at Lauren since she was a new addition to our group. Then he nodded.

“Emnyle said that you would require transportation,” the Cleaner said with a faint smile. “Along with a few other things.”

“If you could provide us with more time to plan and prepare, that would be great,” Matt commented.

The Cleaner chuckled. “Sorry, but temporal manipulation is beyond my abilities.”

“Too bad,” I responded.

With that, the Cleaner stood aside and gestured to the portal, clearly indicating that we should go through.

“Come, Fellowship,” Matt announced in a dramatic tone. “To Mordor…”

Matt went through the portal first. Cassandra and I looked at each other, then I shrugged and said, “What a nerd,” before following.

We arrived in the familiar location of an oversized parking garage. The place looked almost identical to the last time that I’d been there, except that all the bodies were gone. It looked like the Cleaner had probably taken care of that, the same way he did everything else.

What really surprised me though, was the fact that we weren’t alone. The few champions that remained after that last big fight, were already there waiting.

Spear Chick and Axe Guy stood side by side. Spear Chick…Marissa gave me a nod of acknowledgement and a friendly smile, while Axe Guy just stood there with his arms crossed, trying to look tough. He came off as trying just a little too hard.

Alejandra was with Randal, which surprised me a bit. The last time I’d seen Randal, he hadn’t been moving at all, so I’d thought he was dead. For once, I was happy to see I was wrong.

Becky, the magical girl, gave us an exaggerated bow. Her staff and armor didn’t look quite the same as before, so it looked like her gear had been upgraded the same way mine had been. I gave her a polite nod and a smile, while she waved back.

Don was noticeably absent from the gathering, which only reminded me of his death. I felt a knot in my stomach at that memory, which also reminded me of Maelyne. Those bastards had killed too many people, and I couldn’t let them continue.

Alejandra was the one who spoke first, announcing, “Vr’iel told me that if I wanted another chance at those bastards, I should come with the Cleaner.”

Marissa looked around and said, “My patron told me that Jaeri had a way of taking these guys down.” She scowled for a moment before asking, “Now, who the hell is Jaeri?”

“That would be me,” I said, stepping forward. “Maelyne decided to give me a new nickname.”

Of course, my situation was a bit more complicated than that, but these guys didn’t need to know all the details. Just the ones that were relevant.

“So, Sievers has a way of taking down three gods?” Axe Guy asked, looking more than a little skeptical of that.

“We only need to worry about two of them,” Cassandra said. “We took Pfath down yesterday…for good.”

There were some mutterings and skeptical looks at that, but the Cleaner announced, “She speaks the truth. Pfath’s host body was permanently destroyed. I cleaned up the scene myself.”

Now there were some looks of shock, and everyone was staring at me, trying to figure out how I could have done something that nobody else could. They wanted…needed an explanation. They needed to know that it really was possible to beat our enemies.

“Maelyne…my patron…is dead,” I announced, standing up straight and cranking up my charisma as hard as I could. “I was there. I watched Arakthiel kill her with my own eyes…”

There were more gasps and mutterings, but I’d expected no less. I’d just told them that our enemies were capable of killing our patrons…of killing gods. If they had that kind of power, then what hope did any of us have? However, they needed to know this. They needed the perspective.

“I was in their world,” I continued. “I was in the land of the gods. I saw them with my own eyes. I saw their city…and I saw them fighting. I saw Pfath, Arakthiel, and Kr’aethar in their real bodies, and I could feel how powerful they are. And I watched as they destroyed their own city…and as they murdered other gods. I saw the devastation, so believe me when I tell you, that if they come to Earth, then our world will burn. If they’d destroy their own world so easily, then there is no telling what they’d do to ours.”

Everyone was staring at me, giving me their full attention. I looked around at each of the champions and companions, meeting their eyes. I silently impressed on them how serious this was, and I showed them my own determination.

“Maelyne died while saving my life,” I said. “And my soul. The very last thing she did was to give me a new ability…one that can hurt these bastards. One that can destroy their host bodies and keep them from regenerating. I used this ability on Pfath and won, but now, I need help with the remaining two. I might have the ability to hurt them, but I can’t defeat them alone. I need your help.”

“That’s why we’re here,” Becky exclaimed and everyone else quickly bust out in agreement.

“Good job,” Cassandra told me, putting a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

“So, where are these guys?” Axe Guy asked with a deep scowl.

“They are currently located near the top of the building above us,” the Cleaner stated. “Near the final stage of the competition.”

“Then why didn’t you just transport us straight there?” Randal asked in annoyance.

“Because I cannot,” the Cleaner admitted. “They took precautions against another assault, which prevents me from opening a portal too close to them. I believe that they chose this location because this pocket world was created by the Coordinator and his patron, and cannot be accessed by just anyone. The competition it was created for was never completed, so they are guarded by numerous threats and challenges.”

“So, what does that mean?” Becky asked with a look of impatience.

I stepped forward and looked towards the start of the competition where I’d previously taken a brief peek. I knew what was ahead of us, at least in general, and I was ready to face it.

“It means,” Cassandra announced, “that If we want to take these fuckers down, we’re gonna have to work for it.”

“Oh, they’re going down,” I said, already walking towards the real start of the competition. “Even if I have to go through a whole freaking zombie apocalypse to do it.”

up
349 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Better and better

This story just keeps getting better and better. ‘Nuff said!

Thank you from all your readers.

Zombies!

Really and truly, if they had time they should each have a trench broom with a drum mag!

*SHUDDER*

Zombies. Why did it have to be zombies. I hate zombies.

*seriously, the damn things can give me nightmares*

- Leona

Well, At Least The Ins. Policy Covers A Zombie Apocalypse

Please Tell Me That Lauren Brought Her Pistol...

**********

No wonder the Anarchists are winning ... Why didn't Armestia give them some warning about what they were going to face and a day to prepare???

WTF?

**********
It looks like Teri is going to get an opportunity to use her shiny new BAT!

Woddy Harrelson used a bat in "Zombieland".

A baseball Bat is a melee weapon choice in "Left For Dead 2".

**********

I have never watched an episode of "The Walking Dead" (I prefer Sci Fi, History, or Period Pieces over Horror). Does BCTS have any Walking Dead Fans who can weigh in on strategy & tactics against a Zombie Apocalypse?

**********

Okay, Teri has her Bat, Lauren (hopefully) has her pistol, Cassandra has her Bow, Magical Girl (hopefully) can do close assault Airstrikes (head shots), but what about the remaining members of the team???

I have just one thing to say:

"WE NEED GUNS!"

**********

Based upon Jeri's second fight with the Creep and Lauren starting out with "Minor Healing", I suspect that JAERI & Lauren (when she runs out of ammo) will spend most of their time curing Zombie Infection.

**********

{{Chapter 41}}:

"'Emnyle said that you would require transportation,' the Cleaner said with a faint smile. 'Along with a few other things."'

Please tell me "a few other things" means GUNS & AMMO!!!

So Zombie Apocalypse Fans, what do think "a few other things" are?

**********

A typical rookie mistake would be for Matt & Lauren to quickly use up their ammo instead of using a limited supply wisely.

When Matt uses his last shot, I hope he is smart enough to send Pistol & Tube to storage and them summon his pistol & Tube to see if his ammo supply is replenished.

**********

JAERI should attempt to cast a shield on one of the other Champions to see if it will work. I don't care if it isn't listed on her Popup! She should at least TRY! Remember, she found out she could cast moveable shields when she tried something new [TWICE] out of desperation!!!

**********

I hope JAERI remembers she can summon her Companions.

If I were JAERI, I would try to summon a Champion ASAP. If it works, it may save ALL of them (against Zombies yes, but my main reason is using "Summon Champion" to avoid Not Robe's "Soul Killer Strike" on another Champion).

**********

There is still time to try "Loyal Worshippers" before meeting the remaining two (2) "Meat Shields"!

An increase in JAERI's Divinity Level could make a difference!

**********

I'm not a Zombie Apocalypse fan...

But for me when it comes to zombies, I want a 12 Ga automatic shotgun, with a drum mag, loaded with 0 or 00 buck!

That tickle me right. hahahaha

"No wonder the Anarchists are winning... WTF?" hahahaha I totally agree with you. They should have more time preparing.

Cheating

Then how did those two get to the top, I hope they make it alright without any causalities.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Surprisingly few questions from the other champions

Seems like all of their patrons were briefed before this gathering, like I thought would happen.

I am surprised they did not ask how Jaeri still has her powers despite losing her patron.

At least she knows where the zombies will hide out, so can guide them through the course.

I am not surprised the competitions are held in a pocket universe.

The good will Jaeri has worked for will pay off now as there seems to be a common bond of trust with her, forged in battle.

Perhaps other concerns are

Perhaps other concerns are far more important then to ask why is she still a 'champion' and why her name changed to Jaeri. Well perhaps later if they all still alive and have a chance to ask.

Strategy & Tactics

The other Champions haven't really worked together as a TEAM!!! That is a potential problem. "Winging it" isn't my favorate strategy!

**********

Before they move out, they need to have a quick meeting to discuss strategy & tactics:

JAERI needs to tell them that in order to kill the "Meat Shields" (i.e. Not Robe & Ally), she needs to be close enough to drop her shield and throw or thrust "Maelyne's Spear" into the "Meat Shield". Everyone else must protect her from attack, distract the "Meat Shields" and try to damage them WITHOUT BEING KILLED.

She needs to warn them about the "purple death" (i.e. "Soul Kill") and make sure that their first priority is to avoid a purple ball or cloud!

JAERI needs to warn them that the "Meat Shields" probably have been told that they can be killed with "Maelyne's Spear". Therefore, they may detect JAERI's presence and try an ambush instead of waiting for the Champions. So, a "rearguard" must be kept and everyone else must be prepared for a surprise attack.

I specifically used the words "Maelyne's Spear" in case JAERI decided to withhold her Demi-God status (I still think her Companions should try "worshipping JAERI before facing Arakthiel).

**********

JAERI should try summoning a Champion before proceeding.

**********

The group should discuss tactics to be used against the Zombies. For instance:

(a) JAERI & Lauren may be able to cure "Zombie Infection" with "Lesser Healing"!!!

(b) JAERI can cast shield walls that Champions can hide behind or can be used to block entrance to a room or channel zombie movement!!!

(c) They should test to see if JAERI can cast a "Companion Shield" on a Champion!!!

(d) Verbal or silent signals should be developed. This may become important to allow JAERI or Lauren to cure infection during battle or to avoid attracting zombies.

(e) Best ways to deal with Zombies (head shots, kneecapping, taunting, avoidance).

(f) Anyone familiar with zombies or World of Warcraft have any more ideas?

**********

JAERI should inform the other Champions what happened when Lauren hit Not Nadine in the face - Maybe (at least in the case of Not Robe) the best tactic is to aim for the face!!!

**********

DID I MENTION THAT BECAUSE OF WHAT LAUREN DID TO NOT NADINE, FACE SHOTS MAY BE THE BEST TACTIC?

**********

JAERI should check the status of her storage case (just in case - pun intended)!

***********

Did I mention that there is still time to pray to the Demi-God???

**********

"So, what are "...other things..."???

**********

Order of Battle

They really should talk about tactics.

Who goes first?
Second person clears left
Third person clears right
Fourth person should be a Champion with a range attack to cover the room (we don't know how big the rooms are)
Jaeri goes 5th and shields
Champions with close quarters abilities go through in positions 1-3. (Ax guy, Spear Chick . . . )
The rest come in behind Jaeri. With Teri bringing up the rear

Room clearing 101, and it starts with organization and then practice. Which none of them have bothered with yet.

Next would be strategy. How will they navigate through the building to the final room? Once there how will they attack the gods? Which god do they go after first? Do some champions distract while Jaeri and her team focus on knocking one god out? They really need a plan for the top level.

Jaeri needs to explain her ability depends on getting close enough to use her spear. She should have also explained about her divine spark. I'm not sure worshiping will work, but they should try everything. Also more experimenting with her shields is a must for Jaeri.

Cheers
Zapper

To paraphrase Indiana Jones..........

D. Eden's picture

“Zombies..........why did it have to be zombies?”

I can see where having Lauren along for not only her extra healing, but also her energy blasts will be helpful.

Looking forward to seeing more real soon!

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Wonder if they are all going

Wonder if they are all going to discover the zombies are the deceased members of the competition? That would be beyond cruel to the others who are left; but these gods are also beyond cruel as far as I can determine.

I think the only things they

I think the only things they really need are more of those gift boxes. And that is what I hope the cleaner means by 'a few other things'.

Doesn't Seem Like It...

They'd have gotten the rewards already, possibly from the Cleaner when he delivered the champions. (Remember that they all got there before Jaeri and company.)

Returning to one thing Josette mentioned about preparedness -- some of them may have gotten some new abilities, either in boxes or as blessings from their patrons, since Jaeri could discern some changes. But it'd be helpful to the group as a whole to know what those are -- and Jaeri's about to lead them on without further discussion. She didn't even mention zombies, which would give them one thing to look out for.

Even if she felt the need after using her charisma on them not to give them time for second thoughts, it'd seem that some general strategy beyond "let's all blindly move forward and see who makes it to the top" would have been helpful. The immediate objective is to get as many there as possible to face the two real enemies. Is it just that because of the nature of the game before, everybody's still trying to keep their information secret until needed? Even Jeri wasn't about to reveal any more than she had to in order to convince them they had a chance.

Eric

Re: "Wonder if...." & "I think..."

Re: "Wonder if they are all going" & "I think the only things they"

Yes, that would be exceedingly cruel if you had to destroy someone you knew, but on the other hand, I'm sure their would be a dispute as to who gets to deal with "Zombie Harker" & "Zombie Nadine"!

**********

In view of the way Armestia and her Allies set up this "Dungeon Crawl" (little notice of what they are facing, "...other things...","two (2) Bosses to kill", possibility of "cruelty" raised by a reader, my original opinion of the Patrons, etc.) this event looks like another official contest[!!!]

It is possible

[remember, Morpheus is "Sneaky little Morpheus. Wicked. Tricksy. False."]

that the official contest process is still in place. The Winning Patrons may depending upon how their Champions perform receive increased status and power. The losing Patrons may as a result of failure lose status and power - possibly including home, land, people, and maybe life.

In other words, Not Robe & Ally may have been set up by the opposing Patrons. If this is accurate, I expect all of the other Champions have received something(s) useful from their Patrons.

If this scenario is correct, the increased status, power, home, land, add people that would have gone to Maelyne will go to...

**********

Under the above scenario, "...other things..." may be skill boxes, glowing spheres, etc. left for the Champions to "win" in an official contest.

Since the Referee was killed, the use of Lauren's pistol probably won't be challenged[???]

**********

For an explanation of "my original opinion of the Patrons", read my Chapter 13 Comment "Why Heather Died...Part 4"

The Game May Still Be On...

...but I don't think it's the other patrons' doing. I don't think the battles upstairs were staged in a fake world for Jeri's benefit.

That said, I'm still intrigued by my recent thought that the typos in the game-screen messages are because they're being ad-libbed in real time by some entity trying to pass him/herself off as an AI but actually running things. ("Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...")

For those who haven't been going back and reading my "second thoughts" comprising the final -- last time I looked -- comments on recent chapters, several all-caps lines in the story contain typos -- to name one, both DEVINE and DIVINE in the same sentence when Jaeri was renamed and upgraded to demigod. There aren't any similar problems happening in the narration, leading me to believe that it's not sloppy proofreading; the author is trying to tell us something, or at least giving us a clue.

The trouble with something like that is that once you start to step back, you don't know how far to go. I'd like to think the gods have been duped, either by someone on their own plane with amazing deception powers or by a "god of gods" one step higher. (Maelyne at least was describing a history, pre-game, that happened before she was born. Could all the other gods be doing the same? And if so, is it really history?)

But it could also mean that the whole god-plane doesn't exist; it's just an invention of a super-geek who's running his own simulation. (But how is that different from the author himself writing this story?) At least the typos eliminate the hateful "it's all Jerry's dream" hypothesis.

Eric

The best of luck

Samantha Heart's picture

To everyone involved they are going to need it. Take down the most dangerous first THEN go after the lesser dangerous one the one WITHOUT the soul killer

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Trouble Is, They're Together...

Never mind...misread the comment. But I don't think they're going to let Jaeri and company pick and choose which one to fight, while the other one stands around awaiting his turn.

Eric

Re: "The best of luck"

I agree with Samantha. Take out Arakthiel first.

Tension, Anticipation, and Surprise

Morpheus is a master/mistress of building tension and anticipation and is also really good at throwing the unexpected in (surprise). I've been expecting the next chapter to be the "final" battle for the last 2 postings, but the tension and anticipation is still building. So good.

And so it begins

Jamie Lee's picture

Once again they're going after the two remaining host bodies. And with a determination of ending their existance once and for all. But at what cost? How many of the remaining champions, and companions, will remain if/when they finish the battle?

But what choice do they have, they're fighting for the existance of their world, a world Jaeri doesn't want to see end up like the world of the gods.

And yet, their battle on Earth is only half the battle. If they can destroy the host bodies that leaves the gods to finish the job or they may end up right where they started, fighting host bodies again.

Those fighters on Earth, and the gods in their own world, have to eliminate this evil once and for all. They have to do what each can to bring about the permenate downfall of those gods whose existance is only about death and destruction.

Those gods were given a power for a reason, but somewhere along the way it corrupted them to the point of changing their very nature. And now their use of that power can no longer be tolerated, they can no longer be allowed to do what they want when they want. They can no longer be allowed to exist. It is time they learn the error of their ways.

Others have feelings too.