There is Nothing like a Dame Chapter 29

Printer-friendly version
361304-pentax-645z-sample-image_0.jpg


There is Nothing like a Dame

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright© 2017 & 2018 Bronwen Welsh

A sequel to 'The Might-Have-Been Girl' and 'All the World's a Stage'

Chapter 29   A crisis

I enjoyed a week back in York. I visited Emma several times while Reggie was at the university. All the children were growing up and Emma was doing a marvellous job of raising them. I also did a bit of painting, of the house variety, with the permission of the owner, since the flat was looking a little shabby. It was quite enjoyable to have a break from my regular occupation, but only because I was secure in the knowledge that I would soon be returning to the stage.

I had kept in regular contact with Miriam and Itzak in America and was pleased to hear that their recital at the East Devon theatre, arranged by Hiram Thompson, was scheduled for four weeks later. I had promised them that Reggie and I would attend if possible and now it seemed that we could since I wasn't performing in the 'Scottish Play'. Since Magnolia had insisted that we stay with them, I sent her an email and received a reply saying that they were looking forward to seeing us again and that Henry would pick us up at the airport. I had told her that we could make our own way to East Devon by public transport, but she wouldn't hear of it. I booked our tickets, Economy Class this time. I don't want to sound like a miser, but it was a relatively short flight to Boston, and hardly justified the extra expense of Business Class.

In the meantime, there was another special event to attend – the opening night of 'The Scottish Play' in Stratford. Aunt Peggy in Australia had introduced me to a delightful Australian expression – to 'frock up', and since it was a 'black tie' evening for Duncan Morgan's special guests, that's exactly what I would be doing. From my ever-increasing wardrobe, I had chosen a floor-length jersey evening dress in dark cherry red with a V neck and a rather daring slit close to the thigh. I teamed it with 'sheer to the waist' tights and towering six-inch heels, comfortable in the fact I would still be shorter than Reggie.

On the morning of the opening night, we packed the car and headed south to Stratford. Purely by chance we decided to approach the town via the A3400 road passing through the historic small town of Henley-in-Arden, about thirty minutes drive north of Stratford. It was just after ten o'clock; Reggie was driving, and I was enjoying the view of the delightful old houses along the main street. It was then that I spotted them; Ioan Thomas and Edith Evans hand in hand leaving one of the old hotels. I quickly turned my head away, although they seemed so wrapped up in each other, I doubt if they would have noticed anyone in a passing car.

It took me a few minutes to digest what I had seen, and in fact, Reggie commented that I was unusually quiet. I told myself that in this modern age there was really nothing wrong with two consenting adults spending the night together if they wished, although inevitably the thought crossed my mind that perhaps this relationship had started before the audition, in other words, the infamous 'casting couch' Then I dismissed this thought as unworthy, especially since as far as I knew, the first time Edith had met Ioan was on the day of the audition. I decided not to tell Reggie that I had seen them since he was no actor and if he met the two of them later in the evening, his reaction might betray what he knew.

We arrived at the flat and took our change of clothes inside; then we went out for a light lunch, and afterwards had a couple of hours 'siesta', so that we would be fresh for the evening. Knowing what I would have been doing if I had been given the part, I wasn't greatly upset that I was in the position of being able to relax and then enjoy the performance.

As usual, it took me about three times as long as Reggie to get ready, but when I finally appeared, I could tell from the look on his face that all the effort had been worth it.

“Darling, every man we see tonight will be jealous of me because you are on my arm,” he said, and not to be outdone and in order to spice things up a bit I replied “And every woman will be jealous of me because when we get back I will be welcoming you into my bed!”

We might have sounded more like a couple on their honeymoon than two people who had been together for quite a few years but we both put a lot of effort into keeping our relationship fresh and exciting. Reggie looked very handsome in his dinner suit, but only I knew how handsome he was when he was out of it. Just the thought of that made my body tingle.

We had booked a taxi to take us to the theatre and also to pick us up late in the evening. That way we could have a drink while we were out. We arrived at the theatre in plenty of time to collect our tickets, which, as I suspected, were in the front row. We proceeded to the bar for a glass of champagne and when the bell rang, made our way down to the front row, where Duncan Morgan and his wife were already seated. Duncan stood as we approached and bade us 'good evening', shaking Reggie's hand and kissing me on the cheek. He then introduced us to his wife who complimented me on my choice of gown. I noticed that there was an empty seat on the far side of them and just as the lights started to dim, a tall elegant lady walked in and took her seat, whispering 'Sorry' as she did so.

The curtain rose upon the 'blasted heath' with the three witches. Lightning flashed and the thunder rolled. It's one the most dramatic openings of any of Shakespeare's plays. I sat back and relaxed, ready to enjoy myself. Little did I know that the real storm was about to break.

When the house lights rose at interval and we all rose to our feet to stretch our legs and go for a drink, Duncan said to us, “Harriet and Reginald, may I introduce Ceridwen Thomas, Ioan's wife? We've invited her here as a surprise for Ioan.”

' Oh he's going to get a surprise alright when he sees her,' I thought to myself, but I smiled and held out my hand. “Ceridwen! What a lovely name! How are you enjoying the play so far?”

“It's very exciting, and so well acted,” she responded in a voice even more musical than Ioan's. “Living in Llanelli as we do, I don't often get to see a play that Ioan is directing as he travels all over Britain, so this is a special treat.”

“Harriet is one of our young stars,” said Duncan. “We are fortunate to have her and now Edith playing major rôles in our plays. She'll be playing a title rôle in 'Romeo and Juliet' again later in the year. You really should try to see to come to Stratford to see it.”

“I certainly will try,” said Ceridwen politely.

There were a number of special guests at the performance including some of the Stratford councillors and a local member of parliament with his wife and we chatted politely as we had our drinks at the bar. All I could think about was the fireworks which were certain to ensue when Edith was introduced to Ceridwen after the performance. I knew I couldn't warn her, and even if I could, it wouldn't have been the right thing to do as it would have inevitably affected her performance. I would just have to let the drama play out. I was furious with Ioan; what on earth was he thinking of, deceiving Edith and his wife this way and what would be the consequences?

Inevitably, I was distracted from what was an excellent performance by all the cast including Edith. She thoroughly deserved winning the part. At the conclusion, after all the curtain calls and a standing ovation, the house lights came up fully and the audience began to leave. As I knew he would, Duncan said that there would be a small reception for cast and crew together with the special guests in one of the rehearsal rooms behind the stage, and we were invited to attend. In some ways I wished that we could leave, but I knew that was impossible. We duly followed the Morgans and Ceridwen into the rehearsal room where drinks and finger food were laid out on some tables.

People started to mingle and chat and I was on tenterhooks waiting for the inevitable explosion. Finally, Ioan reached Reggie and I and introduced Ceridwen.

“We've already had the pleasure of meeting her during the interval,” I said.”It must have been a wonderful surprise for you to see her here.”

“Yes it was,” he said, and I could tell that he was searching my face for any hidden meaning behind my words, but he didn't find any; I am after all an actress. As they went off to mingle with the other people present, I did my best to keep an eye on them while chatting with other people. Finally, I saw that despite his best efforts to avoid it, Ceridwen had steered him in the direction of Edith.

While I was too far away to hear what they were saying over the general hubbub of conversation, judging by their body language, Edith was actually holding it together after what must have been a terrible shock. I had little doubt that Ioan had told her he was single or divorced and now here was his wife! They did not talk for long and Edith turned and left the room, no doubt to find somewhere to be alone and absorb what had just happened, or maybe to just burst into tears.

I was relieved then Reggie glanced at his watch and said that we should leave the reception as our taxi would be arriving soon. We first made our way over to the Morgans to thank Duncan for inviting us to the evening. I mentioned that we were flying over to America to attend Miriam and Itzak's recital and that the Thompsons had insisted that we stay with them.

“Please pass on my regards,” said Duncan and I promised to do so. They would be meeting up when the Thompsons came over to England to see me perform in 'Romeo and Juliet' later in the year.

Travelling home in the taxi Reggie said “You seemed a bit distracted at the reception. Did something happen that I didn't notice?”

I didn't want to say anything which the taxi driver might overhear, so I assured him that nothing happened. However, when we reached the flat I told him how I had seen Ioan and Edith coming out of the hotel.

“I'm sorry I didn't tell you before but I was concerned that you might give yourself away when you met Edith and Ioan. Of course, I had no idea about Ioan's wife; I assumed he was single or divorced and I'm sure he told Edith something like that too. I was waiting for an explosion when they, Edith and Ceridwen, met, but somehow she must have held it together. That's why I was distracted.”

“That sounds like a bad situation,” said Reggie. “What do you think is going to happen?”

“I really have no idea,” I replied. “But whatever it is, it's going to be nasty.”

On Sunday morning we drove back to York. The whole day I was waiting to hear something, but there were no calls. I started to think that Edith had somehow come to terms with the situation, unlikely though that seemed.

Monday morning we were up early and after breakfast, Reggie went to the university. He was now approaching the end of his final year, with exams coming up soon. He was studying every waking moment and I was determined to keep him fed and watered so that he could concentrate on his books. I had to think that it was a good thing I wasn't down in Stratford with the play. Then the phone rang. It was Duncan Morgan, the theatre CEO. I felt my heart thump as I answered it.

“Harriet! Thank goodness I caught you. We have a crisis here. This morning Edith Evans rang up and withdrew from the current production, citing 'personal reasons'.”

My heart sank. I know what was coming next.

“I know we have an understudy, but we can't let her take over for the rest of the season. Can I count on you to come back to Stratford and take over, please?”

“If it's really necessary, I'm sure Reggie will understand,” I replied, wondering if he would after my promise that nothing would stop me staying in York until the 'Romeo and Juliet' rehearsals started. I needed to think fast.

“Mr Morgan, Edith and I are quite friendly, perhaps I can find out what's happened and see if there's some way she can be persuaded to stay on.”

When he replied he sounded doubtful: “Of course you can try, Harriet, but when she spoke to me she sounded like she'd been crying, so whatever has happened must be serious.”

He wasn't wrong about that, but of course he didn't know the situation and I did. After he hung up, I dialled Edith's number. She answered after a few rings.

“Edith? It's Harriet. I've just had a call from Mr Morgan.”

“Oh Harriet, I'm so sorry to pull out, but I can't go on, I just can't,” she said, sounding like she was about to cry again.

“Edith, I know what's happened. Reggie and I were driving through Henley last Saturday morning and we saw you. Am I right in thinking that Ioan didn't tell you he was married?”

“Of course not, he said he was divorced.” She sounded a bit shocked that I should even ask the question.

“I'm sorry,” I said. “That was a stupid question. Of course you didn't know. It must have been such a shock when his wife appeared.”

“It was a shock for him too. Mr Morgan had arranged for her to come to the performance as a surprise for him. Well it was a surprise alright,” she sounded bitter. “He thought she was safely tucked away in Wales.”

“What happened when she was introduced to you?” I asked.

“I think I handled it alright, but I'm sure she knew; women just do. Anyway, I can't stay in Stratford, I”m packing my bags now. At least I know that my replacement will do a great job.”

“Edith, you know I wanted the rôle, but not this way. Will you let me contact someone and tell them the whole story? You can totally rely on their discretion. It won't go any further, I can guarantee that.”

“What good would it do?” she said. “I'm just an actress and he's a famous director. I know what the result will be.”

'He's not that famous. I'd never heard of him before he came to Stratford' I thought, but aloud I said. “Well at least let me try, please.”

“Alright,” she said reluctantly. “I promise I won't leave until I hear back from you.”

I was worried. I'd given her hope and maybe she was right and nothing could be done, but I wasn't prepared to let it go without a fight. I picked up my phone again and selected another number.

To be continued.

Many thanks once again to Louise Ann and Julia Phillips for spotting my 'typos', thus allowing me to correct them before publishing

up
283 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

After her experience in the US,

Monique S's picture

I think Harriet should take over as director, not as Mrs. "Scottish Play". Edith has earned herself to be able to continue. And Mr. Divorced should be sent to the scrap heap.

Monique S

Slimeball!!!

Christina H's picture

and this was before the recent scandal though as we all know it's been going on for years as long as the theatre has been
going.
But I really like the notion of Harriet taking over as producer/director with Edith remaining in the role.

Nice one Bron, not a cliff hanger but an excellent episode.

Chrissie

Not a cliff hanger

Robyn B's picture

Chrissie,

Your comment about not being a cliff hanger would ring true if we determined 'cliff hangers' to be what we have come to expect after reading many other stories.

Even so, Bron has left us with a feeling of excited anticipation awaiting the next episode to find out who she rang, how the result of the phone call pans out and whether Edith will continue and move on from a life character building experience...

Robyn B
Sydney

Like many actors

Harriet is a people person I suspect she smooth damaged feelings over and patch things up if they can be patched.

Oddly enough

Bobbie Sue's picture

Monique has an excellent suggestion! Harriett has already proven herself as a director and Edith would not loose face. It does mean that she will have to give up her Reggie time that she has so looked forward to. Hmmmm Decisions - Decisions.

Be interesting to find out

Be interesting to find out who Harriet calls. Waiting now to see.

I am a bit surprised...

waif's picture

...that Edith would lampoon her own budding career over something like this. I am sure she was devastated by learning of Ioan's wife, but she has to know what a huge impact walking out on a contract like that would have on her future prospects.

She should have an agent to deal with this type of issue.

With that said, there is no way to predict human behavior, and history is replete with examples of actors and actresses who reneged on a contract over a relationship issue.

I would think that her call is to the ISC director, or to her good friend Dame Emily. My money is on the latter.

Riveting story, as always.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Aunt Harriet to the rescue.

Oh, I love the twist you gave us Bron. This time Harriet really isn't involved. Now just whom it that phone call going to?
Harriet really wants to make that flight to Boston doesn't she ?

Karen

It seems,

Monique S's picture

that not only Harriet has jinxed the play by naming it. Someone must have done much more than just that.

As to who the phone call is to I have a third suggestion, her agent. He must be the most experienced person she knows on how to deal with such matters. And since Edith did phone in herself, it seems that she doesn't have one. So Harriet could recommend Edith to her agent, just like Dame Emily did with her.

Poor Edith, she evidently was much too naive for that b*****d director. How could he take advantage of such a young promising actress. Choosing her over Harriet ... well, Harriet is married, much more experienced and much more self assured, she would not have fallen for him, surely. I bet he knew that. I sincerely hope he gets his due.

Monique S

My four pence is on...

Dame Emily.
She can talk some sense into Edith to stay in the play, and has enough clout with Duncan to get him to give Ioan a boot up the backside regardless of what excuse he comes out with, as he will no doubt blame Edith claiming she led him on and he succumbed to her wicked charms.

It would be a big ask for Harriet to take over the plays direction. It is however already up and running, so not impossible, but would Duncan take the risk of putting it in her hands with so little experience. And then he did recommend her to the Thompson's, so he does has faith in her as a director in the future. So who knows... apart from Bronwen of course!

Thanks Bronwen for another great chapter.
Sophie

I am not sure why...

...but I have enjoyed this instalment more than many. Maybe because she is back home? Maybe something along the lines of some other comments? I am a little sad though too.

I.e. maybe such a high profile directing position will bring us closer to realizing the book-title's promise... and the end of such a wonderful story arc that a (selfish) part of me never wants to see end!

Brava!
Stacy

Ummm, oops?

Jamie Lee's picture

Are there black balls for directors? If there are, Ioan needs to be black balled from any and every theater on the island. And if he flies off to direct elsewhere, then the black ball should follow him.

Harriet now knows why she didn't get the part, he knew he'd never get between her legs. And she'd likely blow the whistle had he tried, or ripped him a new one then blow the whistle.

He should never allowed himself to bed Edith, for the good of the play and his marriage. But little head overruled the air between his ears and now the leading lady is pulling up stakes. Duncan should kick his butt up between his ears.

Poor Edith, new and vulnerable, great potential, and taken advantage of. Sure hope Harriet can work some magic and get Ioan fired so Edith can continue acting.

Others have feelings too.

Heh. Directors and actresses.

TheCropredyKid's picture

In he autobiography, Blind in One Ear {an absolutely wonderful read}, Patrick MacNee tells the story of when he was an extra in Laurence Olivier's {"Lord Larry" being a far-distant occurrence} 1948 film of Hamlet, and he and Olivier were discussing some bit of business or something of the sort, when Jean Simmons, playing Ophelia, walked by.

Wearing a rather diaphanous costume.

Without, apparently, any underwear.

Between them and a spotlight.

There was a pause in their conversation.

When their upper brains resumed function, MacNee mused "D'you think Hamlet slept with Ophelia?"

...and Olivier replied "I've always made it a point to..."

 
 
 
x